Video: Iowa Republican shocked to learn that Palin endorsed him

posted at 8:47 pm on June 7, 2010 by Allahpundit

A fun clip, and noteworthy for Palin fans given the state involved. It’s Terry Branstad, who served as governor from 1983 to 1999 and was known for a bit o’ tax-and-spending in his time when he wasn’t busy appointing a pro-choicer to be lieutenant governor. Question: Er, why would Sarahcuda back a guy like him instead of “true conservative” upstart Bob Vander Plaats, the de facto Chuck DeVore of this race? She’s … not really saying:

Iowa, your great state’s motto is “Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.” That motto will be well served by voting for Terry Branstad for governor next Tuesday!

Please join me in supporting Governor Branstad’s campaign. Visit his website here, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

- Sarah Palin

That’s the whole post; follow the link for unhappy comments. So why’d she do it? Well, Branstad’s way ahead and Huckabee distinguished himself as Vander Plaats’s biggest booster long ago, so Palin probably made a hard choice and backed the guy who’s most likely to win in a state that’ll be crucial to her if she takes the plunge in 2012. (Minor complicating factor: Romney endorsed Branstad a while ago so there’s no assurance for Palin of a reciprocal endorsement from TB down the line.) It’s the same situation as California, really, where Sarahcuda snubbed DeVore to back a candidate who’s more likely to be in a position to do her a favor eventually. Grassroots righties aren’t happy — check out this stemwinder from an Iowa blogger declaring that Palin has committed political suicide — but who cares? They were unhappy after she backed McCain and Fiorina and got over that. What’s one more minor cynical endorsement if it helps her strategically? Exit question for Palinistas: Heart-ache?

Comments

A while back I might have been upset, but Chris Christie is keeping me “occupied”

MeatHeadinCA on June 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM

No heartache. Sarah does what she wants to do for her own reasons. People need to learn to deal with that. If backing this guy helps her get to the WH, no problem. She’ll be better than the guy presently partying our money away. Does this mean she’s less than a principled Conservative? IMO, no. Sometimes you have to make strategic choices that other people or even you don’t like in order to achieve your objective. Purity is nice, but it doesn’t always take you home.

SilentWatcher on June 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Allahpundit loves to agitate his “base” even more than Sarah does hers!

itsnotaboutme on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Exit question for Palinistas: Heart-ache?

No. Enthusiasm.

(Hat tip to Bugler on June 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM on Headline thread)

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

we didn’t call him GOV Braindead in Iowa for nothing….

she’s running in 2012 and she is really, really looking forward to one thing——–the debates…

boomstick cometh.

ted c on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I am surprised that anyone outside of her camp believes she is capable of having a strategy. I don’t live in the state and have no dog in the fight but if I really thought highly of a candidate I doubt Gov. Palin would make or break my decision on who to vote for.

Cindy Munford on June 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM

..Allah..if you had 12 million and national recognition and people were all over your case like that, would you care?

Wait, how much did the boss-lady emeritus negotiate for you and Ed anyway?

The War Planner on June 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I don’t know where people got the idea that Sarah Palin was way out there on the right fringe. Compared to Obama, yes, but I’ve never seen any evidence that she’s a political purist. Yes, she’s pro-choice, pro-2nd-amendment, pro-military, pro-capitalist, and a budget hawk, but that’s what I’d call center-right. Should be the center.

RBMN on June 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM

RBMN on June 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Obviously, I meant pro-life, not pro-choice. My brain is tired.

RBMN on June 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Being from Iowa, I have to say that regardless of Branstad’s issues, VP is on his third(?) running for governor (he’s run every four years it seems like since Branstad left office) and he /still/ does not seem very electable to me.

After three terms of Dem governors, the Iowa GOP I think wants a guy who has shown he can win.

Vatican Watcher on June 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM

No. Enthusiasm.

(Hat tip to Bugler on June 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM on Headline thread)

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

That picture has me strongly questioning my (homo)sexuality.

Hot damn. Werk it, Cuda. <3

lansing quaker on June 7, 2010 at 9:01 PM

McCain and Fiorina I could understand for special circumstances, but this endorsement makes no sense to me. Branstad makes Olympia Snowe look like Reagan.

Jim-Rose on June 7, 2010 at 9:01 PM

as an Iowa native and a Sarah Palin fan I am voting for Vander Platts tommorrow

ousoonerfan15 on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I doubt Gov. Palin would make or break my decision on who to vote for.

Cindy Munford on June 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Apparently you’re in a minority. Her endorsements of Haley and Fiorina particularly catapulted them into the lead in their respective primaries. And don’t forget Emmer in Minnesota.

VidOmnia on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM

When he announced his candidacy, Vander Plaats made some crack “I can see South Dakota from my kitchen” or something similar. It was an obvious and stupid dig at Palin.

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM

She’s never been a fringe-right candidate, has she?

She’s definitely on the right, Conservative, but IMO she doesn’t pander to the Evangelical base like Huckabee.

Cf. South Carolina for another example of this.

cs89 on June 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM

SilentWatcher on June 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

That’s pretty flimsy reasoning. You could say the same thing about the Democrats and most of the Republican establishment now, too.

gryphon202 on June 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM

If Mittens endorses a candidate and nobody hears about it or cares and the polls don’t move, does the endorsement really count? Tree falling in a forest and all that…

VidOmnia on June 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM

A petty remark is enough to deter her from endorsing the supposedly “true conservative” candidate? Seems equally shallow.

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Though my parents dragged me to Chit-cago when I was 2 1/2 and I seem to be stuck here, I’m actually from Iowa originally. My late father graduated from high school with RINO-extraordinaire Jim Leach.
I would love to see my home state make a turn back to the right.
Thanks Gov. Palin.
GO TERRY!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Here’s Vander Plaats:

“Where I live in Sioux City, Iowa, I’m not Sarah Palin, I can’t see Russia, but I can see South Dakota. You know who ranks No. 1 in the country for hospitable business environment? South Dakota,” he said. “I tell people all over the state, as soon as we make Sioux City, Iowa, competitive with North Sioux City, South Dakota, we’ve opened up this state for business. I believe we can be the next economic engine in the country.”

Dumb statement.

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM

One year ago I made a comment on Palin’s future endorsements that I knew that no matter who she endorsed there were going to be occasions where I did not totally agree with her choices but I resolved to understand them.

One year later yes Palin has made some endorsements that I am behind 100% but hey I’m not going to drop her like a hot potato because of who she endorsed.

Now if Palin decided to become a Lefty and spout redistribution of income, RINO politics and be for cap and trade I could change my mind but Palin is who she is, a Reagan conservative. How many Reagan conservatives are really electable for POTUS right now? Not too many my friends.

technopeasant on June 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

William F. Buckley would always support the most conservative candidate who could win.

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

This post and on the same day I received a personal phone call from Sarah herself asking me to vote for Fiorina in CA…

… She’s got my number. If it doesn’t work out with Todd, she knows where I am.

Seven Percent Solution on June 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM

She’s shown herself to be pretty savvy at judging people’s character. Remember all the petty misogynistic whining and sniping that came out of the DeVore camp when she endorsed Fiorina. They revealed their true colors then, but she had their number all along.

VidOmnia on June 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Vender Plaats has as much chance of winning tomorrow as Chuck DeVore.

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

so hawt it hurts.

Actually the real endorsement that counts is Haley. Palin will probably not win IA (but who knows), and most certainly won’t win NH, MI, WY, NV (all Romney). But with Haley in SC, and with that type of electorate, that’s the state where she could win it and go to FL full spead ahead.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on June 7, 2010 at 9:22 PM

The SarahCuda Army is Building uninterrupted,
for a massive onslaught in 2012!!!

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Cindy Munford on June 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Talk to Fiorina, Haley and Martinez who surged after she endorsed… sometines with so many choices or unfamiliarity it’s takes a person you trust to help you pick…

CCRWM on June 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Speaking of the Tea Party!!
===================================================

Tea Party member stuns crowd

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM

The SarahCuda*evolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
==========================

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Iowa is a caucus state. My guess is that Palin can win. why should she hack off the probable governor foe someone who has no chance of winning?

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Palin could not even endorse anyone if she was still Governor, she would of has 10 ethics complaints for everyone.

Palin/Christie 2012

tjexcite on June 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Tea Party member stuns crowd

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I’m stunned, too!

John the Libertarian on June 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Tea Party member stuns crowd

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM

WOW…!!!

… Just Wow!

Seven Percent Solution on June 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM

… She’s got my number. If it doesn’t work out with Todd, she knows where I am.

Seven Percent Solution on June 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I got her letter today and her call yesterday. I’m going to write her a check since she seems to be gearing up but I will have to add a note that I gave her a special $110.00 contribution for a signed book and when she got her one millionth Facebook member and I never got the signed book :(

CCRWM on June 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Cindy Munford on June 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Mittens?

DB9 on June 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Tea Party member stuns crowd

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM
======================================
I’m stunned, too!

John the Libertarian on June 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM

John the Libertarian: It certainly is a feel-good moment,
and,I sent it to H/A Tips!!:)

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

VidOmnia on June 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I don’t deny her (possible) shrewdness. But is she a good judge of character or pragmatically gaging a situation and choosing the most personally advantageous path? Just questions.

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Speaking of the Tea Party!!
===================================================

Tea Party member stuns crowd

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Wow! This is America!

CCRWM on June 7, 2010 at 9:44 PM

That moron Vander Plaatz has his statement denigrating Sarah Palin up on his campaign website.

VidOmnia on June 7, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Iowa? Yawn.

Hear-ache? No. For every 3 good conservative endorsements, Palin makes a calculated game play endorsement. This is quite refreshing in politics. Usually it’s the other way around.

portlandon on June 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Esh….I will say this again. This endorsement hurts her.

1) Palin is pro-judicial restraint. Brandstad thinks Supreme Court opinions are “law of the land”. He won’t let the voters, vote on a gay marriage amendment to the consititution.

2) Palin is for less taxes. Branstad raised state sales tax from 3% to 5% during his tenure.

3) Palin is for less government. Branstad doubled Iowa government during his tenure.

There is more to compare to, however these three I think makes my point.

When a moderate Iowa politician is suprised that he gets a conservative endorsement, he is truly suprised!

Rndguy on June 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Ah! So it’s personal. That’s an important piece of information!

Jim-Rose on June 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I love Sarah but I voted for Bob VanderPlaats. Absentee ballot, of course. I also voted for Marianette Miller-Meeks to unseat the Communist Professor from Cedar Rapids. Go Marianette, go!

Terri on June 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I would allow for the possibility that both are true.

massrighty on June 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

No. Enthusiasm.

(Hat tip to Bugler on June 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM on Headline thread)

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Thank you aquaviva (and Bugler)! If you haven’t clicked through yet to “Enthusiam” it’s worth a trip back up to aquaviva’s post.

PatMac on June 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Maybe Palin considered this when deciding who to endorse:
JOURNAL EXCLUSIVE: Former CEO says OU terminated Vander Plaats

steebo77 on June 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Ah! So it’s personal. That’s an important piece of information!

Jim-Rose on June 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Oh! So he’s an a-hole. Got it. Just what the GOP needs.

Dongemaharu on June 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Vender Plaats has as much chance of winning tomorrow as Chuck DeVore.

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM

You’re saying she’s a pragmatist. Kind of like Newt? I’m simply trying to pin down the her endorsement “philosophy” here. :)

I would allow for the possibility that both are true.

massrighty on June 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Could be.

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Romney endorsed Susana Martinez of NM the day after she won the primary. Does she know (or care) that he did that? Probably not.

Meanwhile, Palin endorsements are treated like the Oracle of Delphi.

Mr. Wednesday Night on June 7, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I’m from Iowa and was leaning towards VanderPlaats.

Sometimes one should just keep their mouth shut. Even with Palin’s endorsement was still leaning towards VanderPlaats.

He should have perhaps remembered Reagan’s rule about not publicly speaking ill of other Republicans, especially one that is respected by many (myself included) and isn’t running against him in the race.

Vote going to Branstad now.

husker3000 on June 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Thanks for sharing that canopfor.

heshtesh on June 7, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Seems to me like she’s leaning towards running.

Of course at this rate Mickey Mouse could beat O in ’12.

B Man on June 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Tea Party member stuns crowd

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM

*tears*

God Bless our great country and protect her!

tickleddragon on June 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM

No. Enthusiasm.

(Hat tip to Bugler on June 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM on Headline thread)

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

My goodness. Obama will not be able to withstand an attack of that… magnitude.

alexwest on June 7, 2010 at 10:11 PM

AP, oh you loathsome creature, you. heh.

WordsMatter on June 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

No. Enthusiasm.

(Hat tip to Bugler on June 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM on Headline thread)

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

My goodness. Obama will not be able to withstand an attack of that… magnitude.

alexwest on June 7, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I know. It just kind of takes your breath away, doesn’t it?

That’s why I had to give the credit to Bugler who posted it on the other thread.

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Why hack off the probable governor of the first primary state to back a buddy of Huckabee’s who has publicly dissed you?

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Bee on June 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM

From what I see, she tends toward candidates that;
1. Haven’t said stupid things on film, or posted on their websites.
2. Bring some sense that they have what used to be called “character.”
3. Can win.

She doesn’t (as others have pointed out) pick the most conservative candidate; just the most conservative candidate who can win.

massrighty on June 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Chris Christie is keeping me “occupied”

Ditto! Christie now occupies the place in my heart where Palin used to be!

Mutnodjmet on June 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Branstad and Haley are Conservatives. Yet one look at the thread(s) and the mindless anti-Sarah drivel is so over-the-top laughable that it’s obvious they never even took the time to learn about the candidates themselves.

-—Branstad’s Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Pro-Family. Best governor the state had.

-—He implemented spending reform measures and streamlined state government from 64 departments to 25.

-—Cut $700 million out of the budget.

-—Cut income tax by 10%

-—Eliminated the inheritance tax.

-—When he left office Iowa had a $900 million surplus after tax cuts were made.

-—He voted against collective bargaining.

-—He helped the accommodation for home educating in Iowa become law (and I certainly thank him for that).

-—He implemented tax tuition credits, as well as, arrangements for books and busing agreements between public and private schools.

-—Passed the Defense of Marriage Act

He held the Governorship for 16 years until he left, was a favorite of Ronald Reagan’s, and currently holds a 70% approval rating.

For the record, that’s:
An Exceptional record on Life Issues,
An Exceptional record on Family/Social Issues,
An Exceptional Record on Homeschooling Issues,
An Exceptional record on Second Amendment Issues.
Real budget cuts (not just cuts in the rate of increase, REAL cuts)
Real reduction in state workers – actually CLOSED Departments.
Elimination of Inheritance tax altogether.
10% Income tax cut.
REAL record fighting public school union thugs.

I’ll take Branstad’s record any day of the week. I find it laughable (and quite revealing) that people are trying to feign outrage over this endorsement.

36 posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 4:55:27 PM by TitansAFC (“At that point in time (2000 race), McCain was as conservative if not more so than GWB.” — pissant)

unseen on June 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM

My opinion is that if you want my support in 2012 you better get your ass into the bush in 2010. We need to take the House and the candidate that does the most to accomplish that will have my support in 2012. Palin is working it, pretty shrewdly, and I greatly appreciate that.

motionview on June 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Palin /Christie ’12.
She turns the corrupt tables over, and he crushes them afterward.

Scaring liberals everywhere, whats not to like?

B Man on June 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM

the people upset with Palin are the same anti-palin haters that were “upset” with the carly pick and the McCain pick and everything else Palin does. Palin has endorsed conservatives across the board. some might argue they are not as conservative as other losers like Devore but no one can say that her picks do not all campaign as pro-life, pro-gun, limited government, cut spending conservatives.

this is nothing but another attempt by the anti-palin forces like Allah attempting to drive a wedge betwenn Palin and her conservative base.

do these people think conservatives are that stupid?

unseen on June 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM

bill Kristol “gets Palin” unlike allah and the 1%ers for purity.

unseen on June 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM

link

unseen on June 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I’ll share a comment from a friend. Can’t take credit but thought it worth repeating, with reference to all this noise about whom Sarah endorsed or didn’t and the purity of her conservative genes (and, please, don’t start — yes, genes, not jeans). Anyway, to the comment, which I quote:

“My wife and I don’t agree on everything, either, but I wouldn’t trade her for anyone else in the world. And, in a pinch, I know who’s got my back.”

I’d say we’re headed for a pinch or two in this country.

So, I’d suggest putting away the nit-picking tools everyone loves to grab and getting ready to mount the charge to take back our nation. Now, on the dawn of that battle, who do you want at the point of the spear, pointed toward the enemy?

I’d say Sarah Palin.

Or, I could stick out my lower lip and sit in a corner and let my country be dismantled because I didn’t think her endorsement of some fellow in Iowa in June of 2010 passed my true believer test.

I think, for my two cents (soon to be worth about a cent and a half), I’ll be out there, on the battlefield.

IndieDogg on June 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I sent it to H/A Tips!!:)

canopfor on June 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I was just going to say you should send it in! I sent it to all my email buddies — it deserves to go viral.

Any bets Ed will post it before Allah?

John the Libertarian on June 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM

If I were advising Palin, I’d make sure that all endorsements are welcomed before issuing them.

just my 2 cents.

AnninCA on June 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Oh em gee, you mean Palin is a … a… politician? I am shocked! Shocked!

Dark Eden on June 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM

First of all, what the hell is Palinistas? Sounds kind of furin to me. What is it, some kind of a snack mix or something?
/sarc

Tennman on June 8, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Sarah Palin endorsed Rand Paul after one of his constituents who was also a Sarah Palin fan wrote to Sarah Palin with a nice a letter.

Spathi on June 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Exit question for Palinistas: Heart-ache?

Are we going to do this every time she endorses someone she’s not “supposed” to?

Whoever she chooses to back in a primary, the people behind the other guy will declare she’s committed political seppuku. Looks like she’s no worse for the wear so far.

NoLeftTurn on June 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Slightly larger image of Cuda at Belmont. Not that I think we should be drooling over her, well, you guys anyways.

WoosterOh on June 8, 2010 at 1:24 AM

VidOmnia on June 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM

How about this…lets tally up the endorsements that Mitt and Palin make and see how many of them can get their candidates elected.

So, far Romney’s been able to get a fair number of people in elected in office. How many of Palin’s endorsements have been successfully elected?

Conservative Samizdat on June 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Another good endorsement from Palin. Only makes my support for her even stronger.

And she is running in 2012, by the way. Deal with it…

Norwegian on June 8, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Conservative Samizdat on June 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Bullcrap. Mittens hardly ever endorses unless it’s a sure thing – witness how he endorsed Susana Martinez AFTER she won the primary, for Christ’s sake. Yeah, he endorsed Nikki Haley a while back, after which she remained mired in 4th place in a 4-way race. It was when Palin endorsed her that she jumped into a rocket sled and jumped 20 points ahead of the competition.

VidOmnia on June 8, 2010 at 3:17 AM

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Right. I’m suggesting that her endorsements are governed more by pragmatic self interest rather than “party purity” as some have thought. I’m not knocking her for that necessarily. Just raising it as a point of interest.

From what I see, she tends toward candidates that;
1. Haven’t said stupid things on film, or posted on their websites.
2. Bring some sense that they have what used to be called “character.”
3. Can win.

massrighty on June 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM

That seems to be the pattern.

Bee on June 8, 2010 at 6:07 AM

This is real world politics. I love all the second-guessing of Palin’s principles and policies. OMG, she actually has a mind of her own, and can think outside the box. According to the “conservative purists”, Palin should only go for someone who toes the line on every conservative principle. In the REAL WORLD of American politics–the INDEPENDENTS want someone who has principles, but also isn’t so ridgid that they are unwilling to compromise. THAT is politics, and it doesn’t make you a RINO if you maintain the CORE conservative values.
When elected governor, Branstad was, at age 35, the youngest chief executive in Iowa history; and, when he left office, he was Iowa’s longest-serving governor. He was one of the most popular governor’s Iowa ever had. He also knew how to promote Iowa, at a time when the economy was in the slumps.
Palin knows all about Branstad’s career as governor of Iowa. She knows a good governor when she sees one. I’m voting today, for Terry!

lovingmyUSA on June 8, 2010 at 7:12 AM

Seems to me like she’s leaning towards running.

Of course at this rate Mickey Mouse could beat O in ‘12.

B Man on June 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Which makes 2012 her best shot at the presidency.

Kafir on June 8, 2010 at 7:27 AM

What a shrewd move – endorse someone when the outcome is pretty clear already. Shows the rovian brilliance of sp /sarc off

what is her endorsements batting average now? — I think it is somewhere around 50/50

Bradky on June 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM

just my 2 cents.

AnninCA on June 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Your first non-socialist rational thought on HotAir. Congrats!

WordsMatter on June 8, 2010 at 8:08 AM

WoosterOh on June 8, 2010 at 1:24 AM

mmm…mmm…mmm… Sarah Louise Palin

WordsMatter on June 8, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Here’s Vander Plaats:

Dumb statement.

bw222 on June 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Only “dumb” if you have no idea of the growth of Sioux Falls, vs the decline in the Sioux City area. Looks like Van der Plaats get it more than your typical welfare check seeing Harkin voter.

MNHawk on June 8, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Allahpundit – Apparently you and some others want to believe that all Palin supporters are rabid ideologues who expect Palin to impale herself on the spike of party purity. IMO her endorsements tend to prove that she is not the fringe “litmus test” candidate the anti-Palin crowd accuse her of being.

Her endorsements are exactly that – HER choices – not yours, not mine. Some of the people she supports will succeed – some won’t.

katiejane on June 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM

No. Enthusiasm.

(Hat tip to Bugler on June 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM on Headline thread)

aquaviva on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hubba hubba!

pseudonominus on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Full disclosure: I’m an Iowan, born and raised.

Now, Branstad is the smart choice (IMO), given the fact that when he left office, he left Iowa with a nice tidy surplus. Vilsack soon squandered that, like any good liberal would do.

Also, those who have an issue with Branstad and gambling in Iowa should do a bit of research. I remember when he wasn’t even keen on the idea of allowing scratch tickets, since that’s usually the only “open door” needed for full-on gambling to take hold in any state. And he was right too…We now have oodles and oodles of Iowa’s senior citizens traveling out to the Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino in Altoona Iowa, on a regular basis, taking their social security money with them.

Is he THE most conservative candidate? Prolly not. But remember, this is DEEP BLUE Iowa. For us conservatives who live and work here, he’s the closest thing we’ll get (and a step in the right direction) to a more conservative approach of governing.

Vander Plaats should be out of the running, simply because Mr Mike “Pimpin’ My Religion” Huckabee endorsed him. Let us not forget that the huckster “pimped his religion” while campaigning in Iowa, then moved on to New Hampshire where he quickly stopped putting it on display because he knew it wouldn’t fly up there.

Talismen on June 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM

What is your comment relevancy now? – I think it is somewhere around 0.00

Inanemergencydial on June 8, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Thanks for your breakdown, unseen. Branstad did a good job as governor during his tenure. The attack ads you are seeing are funded by the national DNC, through the Iowans for Responsible Government group, headed by the old democratic committee chair in Iowa. Bleating on and on about conservative values, just trying to split the vote. Branstad is NOT a RINO, he’s just not as far right as VanderPlaats. VP seems a good guy, and he’ll hold Branstad’s feet to the fire on conservative values. But right now Iowans care about righting the ship that Vilsack and Chester have left us. Lots of dems that I know personally are supporting Branstad, and that’s not just in the primary. They are voting for him (if he wins of course, but I’m positive he will) in the general.

They know he can handle the financial aspect of the government. I know it too.

pxystick on June 8, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Hubba hubba!

pseudonominus on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM

It’s like the greatest picture of any politician in the history of everything.

aquaviva on June 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM

He was surprised, but he did say he appreciated it.

He did not run in horror at his own sudden unelectability.

Yes, I just made that word up.

Brian1972 on June 8, 2010 at 11:49 AM

They were unhappy after she backed McCain and Fiorina and got over that.

You’re ridiculous. Whose gotten over the fact that she endorsed Fiorina? The Dennis Prager’s of the world came around to endorsing Fiorina a MONTH later ONLY because she screwed the pooch and polling.

Let me point out that Dennis isn’t an ideological Conservative. He’s a Reagan Democrat who became a Republican because the Leftists took over the Democrat Party and he felt he had no where else to go. He’s a moderate in many areas. I use him because of his public persona but that he’s the BEST EXAMPLE of a large portion of the “REGISTERED” Republicans in the state of California.

Voters like Dennis saw the polls and have made a STRATEGIC DECISION, not an ideological decision. One they were forced to make by SARAH PALIN’S involvement in California politics. Reagan Democrats can hold their nose and vote for Fiorina because they aren’t invested in pure Conservative principals. They figure Fiorina will split the vote with DeVore and give the nod to Campbell who really isn’t a Conservative and have no clue why he’s not a Democrat.

Conservatives will stick with their principals and vote for Chuck DeVore. Actually, I voted this morning and that’s EXACTLY who I voted for Senator. And we will continue to not forgive and will never forget if she screws us and Fiorina’s background catches up with her between now and November that Boxer goes back to DC. Even then, Palin can forget me ever voting for her for office. I look at her as equal to McCain.

Sultry Beauty on June 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM

They know he can handle the financial aspect of the government. I know it too.

pxystick on June 8, 2010 at 11:23 AM

You must be on drugs. Branstad is as rhino as they come. He more than doubled the state budget, raised damn near every tax he could, picked a Lt. Gov whose claim to fame was being on the board of Planned Parenthood and has already stated that he will not fight the Iowa Supreme Court decision on allowing gay marriage.

Have you ever talked to Branstad?? I have. I tried to have a discussion with him on these issues when he was running for his third term and he basically told me to mind my own business and that people like him knew better.

This man does not deserve to re-elected.

HalSandro on June 8, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Iowa gal here. What’s wrong with Rod Roberts? No mention at all here! Palin would have loved him if she would have looked in to Iowa candidates a little further.
He got my vote this morning.

The guy singing the Star Spangled Banner made me cry like a baby, btw. Post it on the front page!

pixiep on June 8, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Bradky on June 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Which makes it 50 points better than the president who is now fancying himself Chuck Norris.

MNHawk on June 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Exit question for Palinistas: Heart-ache?

Yes, heart-ache, indeed. I hate to say it, but it looks like Sarah is setting herself up to be a typical Republican power-broker. She has always been too much the populist to have been a movement conservative (in the W.F.Buckley, Russell Kirk tradition) but I thought at least she would turn into a principled populist. If you are going to say “I-told-you-so”, Allah, I guess I’m about ready to hear it.

JackOfClubs on June 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Guy’s a chicken sh*t… His answer to the question ‘are you going to return the compliment?’ at 0:40… Funny, yet lame… Plus, he’s an idiot… the room clapped for her.

WoosterOh on June 8, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Sweeeeet! Todd’s a lucky man.

RalphyBoy on June 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM

VidOmnia on June 8, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Not true.

Mitt Romney in many cases backs people very early in the races. In other cases, he’ll back someone who he’s sure will win.

The point is that Mitt Romney has a high success rate/track record of getting people he’s endorsed into office. Moreover, his PAC is aggressive in making and collecting donations for political candidates.

I doubt Palin has been as successful as Mitt as getting her politicians that she supports into office.

If you were a candidate and running for office…who would you ask for to endorse you? Palin, Romney or Huckabee?

A smart person would ask for Mitt’s endorsement and support.

Conservative Samizdat on June 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM