Quotes of the day

posted at 10:47 pm on June 7, 2010 by Allahpundit

“There was this sense that she alone asked the hard questions and she alone stood up to them,” said Julie Mason, White House correspondent of the Washington Examiner. “But she was a columnist sitting in the front row. She had a certain latitude that a straight news reporter didn’t. We can’t stand up and scream ‘Liar!’ at the press secretary.

“But she did all the time. It was uncomfortable for some of us — a lot of us, I would say, because she was always held up as what the rest of us should have been doing, but we’re not columnists, we’re news reporters.”

All of this, despite the fact that very few papers actually ran Thomas’s column and even fewer Washington types took the time to read it – or care about it…

“Her bias regarding Israel has long been known to anyone – including this commentator – who has spent five minutes in her company,” wrote Boston University professor Robert Zelnick, a former ABC correspondent in the POLITICO Arena.

***
She was a very big name for UPI back then in the 1970s. When I was an editor in Washington, I recall late night, distinctly boozy, phone calls from Martha Mitchell. “Where’s Helen?” Mrs. Mitchell would yell into the telephone. Minutes later, I would locate Helen, put her together with Martha, and the world would get a huge scoop on Watergate the next day.

But Helen had – and has — a blind spot. It was no secret at UPI, but I do not remember that it ever seeped into her stories. And I used to edit a lot of them.

***
“She asked questions no hard-news reporter would ask, that carried an agenda and reflected her point of view, and there were some reporters who felt that was inappropriate,” said CBS correspondent Mark Knoller. “As a columnist she felt totally unbound from any of the normal policies of objectivity that every other reporter in the room felt compelled to abide by, and sometimes her questions were embarrassing to other reporters.”…

“She’s always said crazy stuff,” said National Review Online columnist Jonah Goldberg. “One reason she gets a pass is that there’s an entrenched system of deference to seniority in the White House press corps. . . . This newfound horror and dismay that people are expressing about Helen Thomas are beyond a day late and a dollar short.”…

Mark Rabin, a former freelance cameraman for CNN, said that in a 2002 conversation at the White House, Thomas said “thank God for Hezbollah” for driving Israel out of Lebanon, adding that “Israel is the cause for 99 percent of all this terrorism.”

***
[W]ith those comments, we lost an icon. Because all of the foregoing — being the first female officer of the National Press Club, the first female member of the White House Correspondents Association — and its first female president — none of that is enough to give her a pass.

It’s not enough to have spent a lifetime being an awesome, trailblazing journalistic and feminist icon. Because longer still than the shadow cast by such a great career is the one cast by the Holocaust. There are still people living in this country — and many others, not the least of which is Israel — who have numbers tattooed on their arms from concentration camps. People who remember seeing their mothers or fathers or brothers or sisters torn away from them and packed on trains taking them to their deaths. People who couldn’t go back to where their families came from in Germany or Poland even if they wanted to, because entire villages were wiped out…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

For a contrasting view of Petraeus, read through these articles at Israel Matzav.

Shy Guy on June 8, 2010 at 1:20 AM

From the link -

U.S. Central Command General David Petraeus sends a statement to the Pentagon with a stark warning: “America’s relationship with Israel is important but not as important as the lives of American soldiers.”

If he actually said that, then it is even worse, as that would mean he is blaming the deaths of American soldiers (and presumable American Marines) on Israel. That is a Blood Libel. Also remember the old adage that when you hear/see the word but you can [pretty much at the least] forget the but and what came before it.

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Let’s try this again:

Video: Petraeus: ‘I never said Israel endangering US troops’

Shy Guy on June 8, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Let’s try this again:

Video: Petraeus: ‘I never said Israel endangering US troops’

Shy Guy on June 8, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Neither Helen Thomas nor David Petraeus can erase what they said. You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 1:54 AM

You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 1:54 AM

And you can’t put smart into stupid.

Why is it that some people just won’t stop when they are wrong? Is there some thrill in digging deeper?

platypus on June 8, 2010 at 2:07 AM

I see we are in a loop.

Shy Guy on June 8, 2010 at 2:07 AM

I never had sex with that woman, Monica Lewinsky.

It depends on what the meaning of is, is.

Even Bill Clinton could not pull that off, except to the sheeple, and neither Helen Thomas nor David Petraues is Bill Clinton.

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM

America’s public enemy number one is Barack Hussein Obama.

Nuking our Defense: America Exposed

While America is talking disarmament, Russia is developing ever more deadly nuclear weapons, and all in public view. What are we doing? Are we completely insane, or just suicidal? It cannot escape President Obama, with access to intricate defense data and top-notch advisors, that his proposed reductions will leave America helpless, the servant of those nations with bigger arsenals. Why then would he, with full knowledge of this reality, choose to weaken America so devastatingly? This question answers itself.

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 3:09 AM

What amazes me is how long it’s taken for these Liberals in the MSM to expose themselves for the biased ideologues that they are…guess the first big one was Rather and the whole Bush Jr. false document debacle. Nixon/Watergate was too easy, Ford was too easy to malign especially given the popularity of the SNL skits (Chevy Chase), Reagan was just so awesome that the LSM was easy to shrug off and given the huge number of Democrats they had to tread a little more lightly especially when the economy turned around…maybe it became more obvious when they were sucking up to Slick Willy? Rush at least had them pegged way back then.

But, think way back to Cronkite’s views on the war in Vietnam…probably many Conservatives today think he was justified in what he said. The notion that the established media could be a bunch of Commies occurred to maybe only a few.

Point is, it should have been painfully obvious forty years ago at least.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 8, 2010 at 4:12 AM

I suspect she thought she was in-line with this administration’s perspective on Israel, as well. And therefore, she would be insulated from any potential blow-back from her comments.

Neo-con Artist on June 8, 2010 at 12:38 AM

This.

rogerb on June 8, 2010 at 4:55 AM

If this raving lunatic was your hero, you are a putz.

Lonetown on June 8, 2010 at 5:02 AM

This question answers itself.

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Just curious…

… and not to argue your points. But when exactly did you become able to post your thoughts?

Seven Percent Solution on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 AM

I confess to my illicit affair with Helen Thomas.

Steven on June 8, 2010 at 5:10 AM

Character is not measured by the greatest of one’s deeds, but by the worst.

– Me

stonemeister on June 8, 2010 at 5:31 AM

The old hag let her life-long thoughts out for all to see and there’s a lot more than her that agree with her evil.

We cover up our kind of “final Solutions” with nice names like “Choice” while we zealously guard the process of slaughtering our “Less than human” humans, never to be shown on TV, lest some child ask why they’re hurting that baby.

We live in a crazy world where priests honor a pro-infanticide president, where the very idea of death panels don’t shock many and God is loathed and His followers taunted, because of His goodness.

If these aren’t end times, they sure smell like they’re near.

Don L on June 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM

boy the msm are sweeping this under the rug, saying just the bare minimum on camera…

cmsinaz on June 8, 2010 at 6:17 AM

The thing is people like Thomas say stuff like this everyday. Why is it such a surprise to people?

Terrye on June 8, 2010 at 6:56 AM

[W]ith those comments, we lost an icon.

If your icon is a bigot moron who embraces murderers, well, it’s the kind nobody needs.

JellyToast on June 8, 2010 at 7:14 AM

My favorite quote about Helen Thomas: “Ding dong the witch is dead. The wicked witch is dead” – Munchkins in The Wizard of Oz

vinceautmorire on June 8, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Terrye on June 8, 2010 at 6:56 AM

I don’t think surprise is the right word. I wasn’t surprised, I wasn’t even shocked.

That views like this are openly tolerated is disappointing and extremely frustrating. Leading to out right anger!

donh525 on June 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM

With all due respect to Hot Air, can we now stop talking about this old battle axe and just move on?!!!

pilamaye on June 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM

I’ve always thought Thomas was a POS. Leaving her aside, it’s comments like this that I find stunning–esp as you watch the current crop of WH “news” reporters roll over and play dead for Obama, Gibbs, and any other loser that the WH puts in front of a camera to lie. The source of this comment clearly shows the problem with today’s WH press: they regard Thomas’s biggest problem as her lack of objectivity. Maybe so, but these losers in the WH press are too starstruck to see their own lack of objectivity.

BuckeyeSam on June 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Can I just say that it is making me queasy to come to Hot Air over the past couple of days and see Helen’s er….lovely mug all over the place. Could we please have more screen shots of Megyn Kelly or Juliet Huddy?

vcferlita on June 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Im always amazed at those that cannot tell the difference between the tribe of Judah, and the Jews.

You really need to pay heed to Christ.

True_King on June 8, 2010 at 8:00 AM

but we’re not columnists, we’re news reporters

No, you’re neither. You’re human Xerox copiers.

Daggett on June 8, 2010 at 8:02 AM

True_King on June 8, 2010 at 8:00 AM

you need to pay attention to your doctors and take your meds

runner on June 8, 2010 at 8:07 AM

“Boil, boil, toil and trouble.”

Where are the other two Weird Sisters?

“Out damned spot.”

NoDonkey on June 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Thomas spent the bulk of her career at UPI doing her best to report the news of the day down the middle. She left the wire service in protest, after Rev. Sun Myung Moon’s News World Communications rescued it from collapse in 2000.

Once freed to be an opinion columnist, the cat was out of the bag.

“I censored myself for 50 years,” Thomas said in 2002. “Now I wake up and ask myself, ‘Who do I hate today?‘”

“I’m a liberal, I was born a liberal, and I will be a liberal ‘til the day I die,” Thomas declared in 2006.

Really simple, the prejudiced old hateful sow and her ideology represents most of the rest of the press.

She’s their middle.

Speakup on June 8, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I’m glad to see this has-been half-baked jew-hating sea hag fade into obscurity.

When will people wise up and realize that it will be the righteous Israeli Jews and Conservative Christians who push back the tide of Satan-worshipping Islamofascism?

CatchAll on June 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Wow! This really says it all. What a sad, miserable life hers must be.

Dee2008 on June 8, 2010 at 9:04 AM

The cat not only got outa the bag, she ripped up the drapes and pooped on the floor. So now everyone has to admit there was a cat in the bag all along.

They didn’t just now find out.

Akzed on June 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Helen being Helen.

BobMbx on June 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Ugh. Did the Eye of Sauron get conjunctivitis over the press room?

rogerb on June 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

JImbo3, hello?

Jimbo3, are you out there?

Erm, is this thread not a good time to defend Helens meaning and intentions?

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Big time reporters are really despicable.
The same sleazy brown-nosers who praised Imus and Thomas when they were popular run away at the first sign of trouble when what they always knew about them becomes common knowledge. They have no ideals, honesty or maturity.
It is all one big high school.

RobCon on June 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I’ll bet that Helen Thomas will be at the White House on August 4th (her 90th birthday, I believe) for some cake and a rousing send off by her cohorts in the WH Press Corps. This story will have died down a bit by then, and her ‘storied’ career can be capped off on a happy note. It’ll be nauseating, but I believe it will happen. This is how liberals do things.

joejm65 on June 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I can’t help it…that photo of her looks like the picture my teacher showed the class in high school (and also in college) and asked if we saw the old woman or pretty young girl in a hat!!

atlgal on June 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM

JImbo3, hello?

Jimbo3, are you out there?

Erm, is this thread not a good time to defend Helens meaning and intentions?

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Blah blah blah Occupied blah blah blah…

————–Jimbo3

hillbillyjim on June 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

And now a Kansas farm house in Oz can get it’s witch back…

HBowmanMD on June 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM

JImbo3, hello?

Jimbo3, are you out there?

Erm, is this thread not a good time to defend Helens meaning and intentions?

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM
Blah blah blah Occupied blah blah blah…

————–Jimbo3

hillbillyjim on June 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

–I still think she meant Occupied Territories and I’m still waiting for the other tape.

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

As I said in the previous thread, Helen was a useful idiot and lap dog for the other reporters who believe and think EXACTLY the SAME WAY she does but KNOW BETTER than to verbalized it so blatantly in public. They’ve been hearing her say these things for years and never called her on it because they agree with her sentiments. Now they’re sad because they need to find their new useful idiot.

With this case laid our before you if you cannot see that Leftists are where the majority of hatred, racism, bigotry, and intolerance lies you are certanly nit watching and listening very closely.

Sultry Beauty on June 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM

The Obama regime has created an environment in the world that encourages outspoken racism and anti-Americanism.
Worst President Ever.

Rea1ityCheck on June 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM

JImbo3, hello?

Jimbo3, are you out there?

Erm, is this thread not a good time to defend Helens meaning and intentions?

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM
Blah blah blah Occupied blah blah blah…

————–Jimbo3

hillbillyjim on June 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

–The full tape is up. She also said “why push people out who have lived there for centuries.”

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM

It doesn’t matter what she said any longer. She shot herself in the mouth, and is now no more than a dried up pile of dog poop that doesn’t even draw flies.

And you’re like the dizzy pooch obsessively chasing it’s parsed tail.

Move on to the latest lie that Obowbow doesn’t mean.
He’s still actively doing damage that you need to enable with your disingenuous parsing.

ontherocks on June 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Helen Thomas could only be a hero to those who aspire to be ugly inside and out.

The Rock on June 8, 2010 at 11:44 AM

JImbo3, hello?

Jimbo3, are you out there?

Erm, is this thread not a good time to defend Helens meaning and intentions?

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I’m still waiting for the other tape.

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

see what you have done hawk – you have conjured up the Devil !

runner on June 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM

see what you have done hawk – you have conjured up the Devil !

runner on June 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Come on! He’s hilarious to read. I will admit, for a working lawyer, he sure has a lot of time to blog though.

(Me? My organization is on block leave)

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM

he is not a working anything…except a hard working antisemite

(block leave ? party time !)

runner on June 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

runner on June 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Party time for them. I didn’t go on leave so I could work on my retirement program. But it’s really laid back with them all gone and I’m getting stuff done and still enjoying some real slow work days. (Your tax dollars at work!) :-)

hawkdriver on June 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM

We can’t stand up and scream ‘Liar!’ at the press secretary.

Why not. If it is the truth, say it. Don’t spray it.
Speaking of spraying it, what sort of decontamination efforts will need to be done to Thomas’s seat before it is safe again for occupation? Maybe an exorcist.

Electrongod on June 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I will go with; purify by fire, seven times.

Slowburn on June 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM

see what you have done hawk – you have conjured up the Devil !

runner on June 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM

hehe

ted c on June 8, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Good riddance to bad, old, nasty rubbish:

byteshredder on June 8, 2010 at 1:22 PM

The “Quote of the Day” from Rachel Sklar was good, but this other part from her piece should be under another heading “Implication of the Day” or “Hint of the Day”…it’s pretty obvious what she’s saying, though apparently no one dare say it.

There has been criticism of Israel; there has been holding Israel to an arguably higher standard than other nations (see: North Korea) and there has been anti-Israel sentiment, blurred in with…a little more. What Helen Thomas said was at the upper end of that category — and I think, frankly, it startled a lot of people. Because that’s one hell of a slippery slope.

Blaise on June 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM

So let me get this straight:
she’s said these things for decades,
you’ve been forced to edit her words countless times to clean them up,
and now, that she’s been pointed out by some Youtube video, which you could not cleanse, it’s come to this:

From Rachel Sklar: I wish Helen Thomas hadn’t said those things, and I truly wish she hadn’t thought them. But she did. Which means that, sad as I am, Helen Thomas can no longer be a hero to me.

Rachel, didja ever think you and your ilk share the problem?
Had Helen Thomas said the same of Blacks and Africa, her ship would have been sunk in the 70s.

SJBill on June 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Good bye and good riddance to this bigoted anti-semite… LONG overdue…

Khun Joe on June 8, 2010 at 3:15 PM

We can’t stand up and scream ‘Liar!’ at the press secretary.

Why not?

barnone on June 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Just curious…

Seven Percent Solution on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 AM

I take it that is meant to be some kind of insult but I can’t make heads nor tails of it otherwise.

Tav on June 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM

The picture is enough to scare small children

J_Crater on June 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM

The picture is enough to scare small children
J_Crater on June 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM

It’s enough to scare this big adult, too….

joejm65 on June 8, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

are you serious, or is this just your sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek-style humor? If she meant the ‘occupied territories’ then why the heck did she say that enormity: ‘time for them to go back to Poland, Germany, America, and elsewhere…’ she should have simply said time for them to go back to Israel (within the pre-1967 borders, for istance)…duh! she’s a journalist (yeah, an antedeluvian one and older than Methuselah, and likely senile for that matter) but how on earth do you presume that it escaped her that the Israelis have a HOME and a STATE since pretty much…umm, 1947?…she must have been busy foolin’ around with some Truman or Eisenhower WH’S staff at the time :-) hehe….oh Helen, oh, Helen, oh, Helen…

jimver on June 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

jimver on June 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM

–So how do you explain the “why push people out who have lived there for centuries.” I think she may have had a senior moment. (I’m not at all denying she was hostile to Israel and US policy towards Israel for decades. What I am disputing is whether she meant to eliminate Israel.)

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Jimbo3 on June 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM

and how does this prove in any way that she meant ‘the occupied territories’? their mantra is that the Palestinians were ‘pushed out of their land and homes’ ever since Israel was created in 1947…and not since 1967 alone…so that statement does not prove anything in itself…it’s ambiguous at best, the other about ‘Joooos go gome to Poland and Germany’ leaves no room for interpretation though, don’t ya think…not to mention the historical inaccuracy of her statement, at least half of the Jews in Israel are Sephardim and not European Ashkenazim, and they come from the Arab countries (they were persecuted, threatened to death and expelled from there) and not from Europe, but she forgot to mention the Arab countries among her countries of choice for the Jooos’s home :-)…

jimver on June 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Thank GOD that idiot is history!!!!!!!

griv on June 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Finally her ‘Hitler in a dress‘ routine gets caught on camera and published before the lefties can scrub it clean! This hag should have been outed 60 years ago but the leftards were in total agreement with her the whole time. What I don’t get is the shocking naivety of the left-wing Jews – that’s some kinda death-wish they got going on!

Ogabe on June 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Boy, those Washington reporters have really served us, the public, haven’t they. Nobody in the country knew that FDR was crippled, that JFK was seriously ill and serving himself a buffet of luscious babes, or that many members of Congress were hopeless drunks and philanderers. That kind of privacy is not possible anymore, but it’s still possible, apparently, to be a truly vicious, pro-terrorist racist and a respectable member of the press and nobody in the press will report it.

The founders counted on the free press to give us the information to decide whom to trust and to judge debates. But modern “journalists” see it as their job to tilt with those in positions of power and put themselves in control of the minds of the citizens, who, after all, will have to believe what they tell us.

flataffect on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Thank GOD that idiot is history!!!!!!!

griv on June 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Oh no. You’re wishing in one hand and the other will fill up first.

Her retirement is just the temporary punishment, she’s going to be baaack.

We thought she was ugly before, we ain’t seen noth’n yet.

Speakup on June 8, 2010 at 11:16 PM

What a picture!!! Back where I come from, we would say, “That face could make a freight train take a dirt road.”

Mr. Grump on June 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Holy crap, these people are just bizarre, and, apparently, gutless for not having excised this quixotic cancer long ago. Tabulating all the firsts that this harridan supposedly achieved is not only meaningless but it is awfully thin gruel by which to mythologize the harpy. If these people were half as good at reporting as they are in practicing denial and ignoring the obvious then the state of journalism might not be in such a woeful state. Gawd, this is embarrassing.

thegreatbeast on June 9, 2010 at 3:02 AM

The really pathetic thing about all this is that if everyone who held the same views as Helen Thomas were forced to resign you would see most of the faculties of all your public schools, all your major colleges and the majority of the Democrats in office today stepping down.

TrickyDick on June 9, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Hey , I have to ask, what does this thread have to do with the cover picture of Ozzy Osborne in drag ???

cableguy615 on June 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM