Of course: Reuters cropping flotilla passengers’ weapons out of photos; Update: LGF broke the story

posted at 7:19 pm on June 7, 2010 by Allahpundit

There’s something soooooo familiar about this.

You may remember during the second Lebanese war Reuters was caught making news pictures look worse than they were with a little touch of Photo Shop…

Reuters is now doctoring its pictures from the violence aboard the Guerrilla Flotilla. For example, this picture appeared in a Turkish Newspaper. The guy on the ground in green is one of the Israeli commandos. Notice the red circle I added. It shows one of the terrorists on the flotilla boat holding a knife…

Now here is the same picture as first released by Reuters. Notice that they cropped out the the terrorist’s knife?

Follow the link and check out Sammy Benoit’s examples. And yes, that’s “examples,” as in plural: Just like when we went through this the first time with Reuters, it’s not a one-off mistake. The most depressing part is that one of the uncropped photos that Sammy used comes from Hurriyet, which is a Turkish newspaper, thus proving that even in Erdogan’s own backyard you’re apt to get a fairer take on what happened on the flotilla than from certain U.S. outfits.

The Daily Mail has more flotilla pics, including one of an IDF soldier bleeding heavily from the head after being attacked. And no wonder: The IDF’s verified that jihadis linked to Al Qaeda, Islamic Jihad, and Hamas itself were aboard. As for our friends the Turks, who’ve allegedly been acting out of love for the Palestinian people, the Palestinian Authority is now sufficiently alarmed by their Hamas boosterism that they’re venting to the Jerusalem Post about it. Your exit quotation, courtesy of our NATO partner in peace:

Asked about those claims at a joint news conference with Syria President Bashar al-Assad Monday, Mr. Erdogan said of Israel: “They lie like a lie-making machine, they always do it.” He also described Hamas as “resistance fighters,” and said Hamas, which rules Gaza, had agreed for Ankara to mediate in talks with its rival Fatah, which runs the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank. Mr. Assad was in Istanbul for a Eurasian summit that starts Tuesday. Iran President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Russia Prime Minister Vladimir Putin are also due to attend.

Mr. Erdogan continued to raise the temperature of Turkey’s dispute with Israel over the weekend. In a speech in Bursa, a city about 80 kilometers south of Istanbul, Mr. Erdogan said the world now perceives “the swastika and the Star of David together.”

Update (6/8): It seems I’m “scum,” a “thief,” and a “dishonest dirtbag” because I thought Sammy Benoit had found the initial photo of Reuters cropping out weapons. Turns out it was Charles Johnson at LGF who broke the story; Sammy’s post only mentioned him in connection with the second photo. So here’s the official correction from a scummy dirtbag thief.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I would never intentionally deny credit to someone who deserves it, especially in a case like this where the guy’s done a righteous thing by pointing out media bias towards Israel.

Allahpundit on June 8, 2010 at 12:39 PM

That’s what’s so insulting! We know you wouldn’t do that…LGF just assumed the worst and started name calling before he investigated the facts! He can scrutinize an AP photo before calling it a fraud, but not a blogger’s intentions? Ridiculous.

scalleywag on June 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM

He sure does need validation in his life, even if it’s not only posted by his resident minions.. jeez..

Zippy_Slug on June 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Yeah, really.

If he’s so not into the Right anymore, what’s with his obsession with conservative sites? Why does he care so much?

Ed Snyder on June 8, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Gee Charlie that might be because nobody stops by your site anymore and often when a story starts spreading on the web it is hard to pin down it’s origin.

Talk about a thin skinned lizard.

Just A Grunt on June 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM

You guys are posting at LGF under different names and you know it. lol Most of his regulars deserted the place and its been taken over by freepers.

fastestslug on June 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM

You might want to reconsider giving LGF credit about breaking this story.
It seems that a poster, Suzanne, at elderofziyon saw the same things as Trout, and posted so within 5 minutes, according to EofZ.
Original post here, at 3:37AM Sunday June 06, 2010.
The questions are:
1. In which timezone is Suzanne located?
2. Are these independent discoveries and reports?

Arbalest on June 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I took LGF of my viewing list some time ago. Everyone, I think, would like to know what the heck happened to Charles Johnson. He has utterly flipped out.

SC.Charlie on June 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM

As an ex-LGF’er, who quit before getting banned for sanity, I can only say: F*&k Chuck.

Sammy Benoit gets credit for the discovery. That other twat is dead to me.

NavyspyII on June 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Chuckles might want to fact check who broke the story. I was seeing something on another site…which I will now look for, that claimed that Chuckles stole the story from some other blogger in the netherlands or something.

Vancomycin on June 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM

There is a screenshot of trout’s post here at Diary of Daedalus
Trout’s post has a DTG of “Jun 6, 2010 at 7:05:48am
Suzanne’s post is 3:37AM, June 6 2010
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Is there a chance that “Suzanne” is located in The Netherlands?
It looks like there is a 6 hour difference between The Netherlands and New York City, and another 3 hours between new York and LA
So if the date and time is:
3:37 AM Sunday June 6, 2010 in Amsterdam,
the date and time in New York City is
9:00PM Saturday, June 05 2010
(or 6:00PM in LA).
Note that 9:00PM Saturday, June 05 2010 would not yield a post of “Jun 6, 2010 at 7:05:48am”, even at LGF.
Is Trout located somewhere in the US, by any chance?

Arbalest on June 8, 2010 at 1:40 PM

LGF proves once again why LGF sucks.

SirGawain on June 8, 2010 at 1:46 PM

LGF proves once again why LGF sucks. – SirGawain on June 8, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I agree.

SC.Charlie on June 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Allahpundit on June 8, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Everyone who actually cares knows that already. I’m sure Johnson himself realizes this.

Esthier on June 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Welcome to the world of lgf, where there are NO innocent mistakes. Crap like this is why I gave up on lgf years ago.

gitarfan on June 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Out of a comic book haze, comes Chuckles to grasp at relevancy. Too late.

d1carter on June 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Chuckles the ass-helmet! Priceless!

docjohn52 on June 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM

To this day, I still can’t believe I used to regularly read that site. What a bunch of whiny pissants. YOU FAIL AT TEH INTARWEBZ, CHUKLEZ!!11!one!

fusionaddict on June 8, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Charles Johnson, didn’t you used to be somebody who mattered?

Oh no… that was somebody else. You’ve always been a nobody.

JohnGalt23 on June 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Don’t forget “vindictive, unprofessional, unethical creep”. It’s important to pay attention to details like that because professionalism is so important in these discussions.

JackOfClubs on June 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Thanks for the post Allah. I read about this over at theblogmocracy which has been a pretty good read since they stopped being just jilted LGF folks.

I see pajamasmedia links occasionally but I don’t like the fact it was started by Johnson. My research shows that he sold his stake in the place about 2007. I think that’s about the time Charles became insane and irrelevant.

Anyway, glad for HotAir, where the occasional posts by our bloggers don’t always make you wonder what the hell they’re drinking.

Canadian Infidel on June 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM

You get a lot of grief here… and sometimes you deserve it… but AllahPundit >>> Cahrles Jhonson in every category that matters. Most notably: sanity.

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM

When you’re a regular reader of political blogs, you often wonder in the far back areas of your mind if the folks on the other end might possibly be nutty anti-social freaks you wouldn’t give the time of day to in real life, except to say “Hey, look who’s off his meds again.” The folks at Little Green Footballs answered that question in the affirmative for me a long time ago. I’m actually kinda embarrassed that I used to read with approval the postings of what I now understand to be a whack-a-doodle of the highest order. It’s like I spent months conversing with the homeless guy under the overpass. That’s embarrassing!

Rational Thought on June 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM

For completeness, and no other reason at all, there is, of course, NO CHANCE, that, over the 9 HOUR span between 10:00PM Saturday, June 05 2010 and the post of “Jun 6, 2010 at 7:05:48am”, a Googling Trout looked at EofZ, saw the post, and ….. Right?
I mean, merely scanning Elder of Ziyon is a bannable offense.

Arbalest on June 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I love when reporting happens on blogs. Shout out to og LGF.

The Race Card on June 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM

I was being subtle here. But initially I felt that AP was taking a dig at LGF by not crediting him. Also, I figured that AP or Ed would have been apprised about what was on LGF’s homepage for so long.

Technically YLD should have covered the hat tip. I haven’t been online today but had a feeling CJ was not going to take this lying down.

“Scum” is harsh. AP should have known to CYA whenever an LGF link is involved.

The Race Card on June 8, 2010 at 5:15 PM

You’ve always been a nobody.

JohnGalt23 on June 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM

“A nobody?”

Sure he’s changed. But you’re lying to suggest that the man who is primarily responsible for launching right-leaning politics into the digital age is and always has been a “nobody.” by default, this very post disproves that assertion.

I once referenced CJ and LGF as evidence of journalism’s failing-model to a conference-roomful of editors and reporters. That was years ago. A lot has changed since then.

Seemingly, CJ has not taken kindly to the ethnic, racial-bullying and anti-gay tenor that is accepted, if not promoted, within formerly-civil GOP circles. Like myself he doesn’t mince words about his perceptions; he does a fair job of sourcing his ire.

Personally, I don’t find the ugliness enough to abandon the most important portions of the GOP platform. Ultimately, I don’t have a stake in saving the party from itself anymore. I don’t think I’m alone.

The Race Card on June 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM

The Actual Story is the mobbing and kidnapping of the first four IDF Commando boarders by “passengers”. Notice the cammos.

Way to go AP. And this was noted Sunday 6/6 about 2:05 PM by Bryan Suits on KFI. Wrong on all counts.

Caststeel on June 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Apparently I’m the only one who remembers when “Killgore Trout” came over here in the middle of the night and started posting racist stuff as proof to Chuck et al that we’re all a bunch of racists (leftist race card) because it wasn’t immediately deleted.

Apparently it’s wrong of Allah and Ed to sleep at night instead of staying up all night masturbating over their blog like other people.

If you want to go have a discussion in an echo chamber go to LGF. Anyone who dissents from the status quo gets banned. I’m ashamed I used to post there.

I’m not really seeing the scandal here that Chucky is upset about. Allah linked to Sammy Benoit who in turn linked to LGF for credit. Any excuse to fly off the handle and lash out at those with whom you disagree I guess.

Logboy on June 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM

If you’re updating to fix your errors, you need to fix the claim that Reuters is one of “certain U.S. outfit.” Reuters is the British wire service, similar to the American AP wire service.

Al in St. Lou on June 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I just Googled Charles Johnson Insane, there were 130,000 hits. It appears that a lot of people think that he has gone over the edge. To use him these days as a source would be unthinkable until checked thoroughly.

SC.Charlie on June 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Allah, you are in fine company being called names by what’s left of LGF. Chuck has attacked just about everyone with credibility. His claim to ‘breaking’ the story got him mentioned on Fox News this AM so I’m sure he took an early morning ride to celebrate being god of the internet once more. I’d so love to see it proven he took it from someone else and didn’t give them credit.

Someday they’ll find Chuck, in a cold damp basement, curled up in a fetal position, hugging his bicycle seat with his finger on the ban button.

24K lady on June 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Oh dear Lord.

Will somebody please get Mr. Johnson a laxative?

badtemper on June 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Count me among the former LGF subscribers. Took LGF off my reader a couple years ago. Now I remember why.

One thing I love about Hot Air is that they aren’t afraid to publish corrections. Johnson blew this one. He could have come out looking good had he graciously accepted the correction.

I notice how AllahPundit didn’t insult Johnson. Johnson’s own writing makes him come across as a jerk.

semperjase on June 8, 2010 at 7:15 PM

News? Scoop? Credit for investigative blog work?
None of the above.
Reuters doctors photos to fit their opinions.

Common knowledge.

poteen on June 8, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Allahpundit wrote,

Your mistaken attribution just means you made a mistake. For chuckles to claim you’re a thief is just an indication of his insanity.

JimC on June 8, 2010 at 10:26 PM

F lgf and chucky mcponytail

xplodeit on June 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM

So what if he was first to blog it. That doesn’t mean he’s not bovine excrement. It just means he’s bovine excrement who spotted a faked photo….twice in 10 years. Sheeeeit, my kid in art class has a better record….and she’s get a better temperament than Chuckles the Dancing Clown.

john1schn on June 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I used to love LGF, and still respect CJ for what he’s done in the past.

It’s a shame that it got so derailed… and how fast it went from being my favourite website to one I regret visiting.

Johnny 100 Pesos on June 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM

It’s like a soap opera with you guys. You used to be pals? Now there’s always a beef.

In any case, it would appear that technically it was Killgore that “broke it” via his LGF diary, so CJ saying “I broke” in his huffy twitter barb isn’t entirely accurate, either. (I say this in the context that CJ phrases it “we at LGF”…when he’s asking for donations).

ChenZhen on June 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Allah, I may take you to task here as a faithless scoundrel, but you’re MY faithless scoundrel. Johnson can pound sand.

leftnomore on June 9, 2010 at 1:36 AM

shame on you allahpundit.

don’t you know that charles johnson broke the story of the neo-nazi flag at the tea party rally?

that was a kilgore/charles original too, you know.

another good one was when kilgore found out that joseph p. stack of california was a ron paul supporter. not the same individual as the joseph a. stack of houston texas who flew the plane into the building after leaving a leftish political manifesto online, but truthier. fake but accurate. like the neo-nazi flag story.

kilgore also proved that you’re a racist because, when he logged into hotair one night at 3:00 AM and posted the n-word a dozen or so times, you didn’t delete it until you “woke up” the next morning. would you have us believe you sleep in the night?

you’re going up against woodward and bernstein here.

i mean, how many times has charles asserted ownership of the rathergate story? he broke that thing wide open. after it was broken on a website he condemns as an eternal enemy of all things true and good. but he didn’t steal anyone’s glory on that one or anything.

i wonder if this thing were about anything but israel whether charles wouldn’t be dismissing it as a “wingnut” “nontroversy”.

it’s been more than a week since helen thomas, formerly of the opposing team to charles, actually said “jews should go back to germany”. charles hasn’t posted a word about it. presumably this is just a “wingnut” “nontroversy” and there’s a defensible nuance to her comments.

charles hasn’t gotten to it yet because he’s breaking stories about real antisemitism in the media. like this one in which he attempted to frame glen beck as an antisemite for briefly mewntioning an anticommunist book which was written 70 years ago by someone who happened to be an antisemite.

clearly charles hasn’t posted on helen thomas’ direct and unequivocal avocation of antisemitism, because that, you see, is a silly, wingnut “nontroversy,” like the ground zero mosque story.

what’s clear is that charles has written almost as many posts about how no one is sufficiently dropping his name in relation to this very important cropping story as posts about this very important cropping story. fox news is to be damned because it vaguely credited “bloggers” in its coverage of this very important story, rather than the correct, “champion of truth, charles johnson.” he has a post dedicated to complaining that his site is getting hits from the reutters offices, yet no representative has yet appeared on television to announce that, “we would have gotten away with it too if it weren’t for that meddling charles johnson.”

a sad clown, is he.

eh on June 9, 2010 at 2:20 AM

charles is a raving paranoid about this stuff.

in a related thread, he complains that fox news deliberately failed to credit him for the story. when his own sycophants showed him that fox in fact did specifically credit him in their front-page item on the story, he said, “yea, but no link”. but they did mention his url, to which he has cooked up a conspiracy theory about them “deliberately” mis-typing it so no one could find his site.

check it out.

does anyone think charles actually cares about anything but his own “role” in blog-o-spheric events?

eh on June 9, 2010 at 3:59 AM

I was still able to log in and vote it down. Waiting to see how long that lasts.

tai-pan on June 9, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Heh, my reply was blocked, probably because of the “w” word. I think it should go, as I don’t think it should ever be forgotten the ugly, that Johnson, through his proxy Killgore(sic) was posting on this site.

MNHawk on June 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM

AP..

You’re the better man for giving an idiot like CJ credit when he had no issues stealing the Rather-Gate GIF that Buckhead did for the Free Republic.

Ripped Buckhead right off and gave him no credit whatsoever.

DaveC on June 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I just went to the LGF site. He is enjoying the increased traffic on his website……………and, calling Hotair readers Neanderthals. The following is from the LGF website:

UPDATE at 6/8/10 11:00:21 am:

Allahpundit may be playing dumb, but his Neanderthal readers certainly knew what he was up to.

SC.Charlie on June 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

here is the link to charles’ original post about the forged killian document.

find me the part where charles credits “buckhead” of free republic, who broke the story on the blog-o-sphere. it’s not there.

charles is happy to give full credit to free republic posters when he’s cherry-picking offensive comments, but not in the case of the story which made him internet famous.

a similar story for zombietime. after rathergate, charles sustained his audience share on the back of zombie’s labor. then charles stuck a knife in his back.

eh on June 9, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Until all hell broke out, I thought it was Honest Reporting that found the first set of pictures, I updated my post also.

The_Lid on July 2, 2010 at 12:33 AM