Angle now leading GOP field, beating Reid in latest poll

posted at 8:48 am on June 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Either Tea Party favorite Sharon Angle has harnessed a massive amount of momentum, or Mason-Dixon has trouble getting a consistent poll out of Nevada.  Their latest survey for the Las Vegas Review-Journal shows Angle jumping to a large lead in the Republican primary for the US Senate seat, continuing a trend that has been developing for several weeks.  In a reversal of a poll from less than two weeks ago, the latest survey shows Sue Lowden as the only Republican losing to Harry Reid in the general election — and Danny Tarkanian as the best match against the incumbent:

Continuing her stunning rise, Sharron Angle has shot into a clear lead in the U.S. Senate Republican primary, according to a new poll for the Las Vegas Review-Journal that shows the Tea Party favorite heading toward likely victory Tuesday.

But the survey also found that if the general election were held today, Danny Tarkanian would have a slightly better chance than Angle to beat Democratic incumbent Harry Reid. Meanwhile, the fortunes of former front-runner and establishment pick Sue Lowden have fallen so far she now is in a statistical tie with Tarkanian and in a dead heat with the Senate majority leader.

Heading into Election Day, the primary remains so volatile that the number of undecided voters has climbed from 8 percent to 13 percent in the past week, according to the Mason-Dixon Polling & Research survey, meaning the candidate who wins this uncertain group wins the GOP nomination.

“Angle is the favorite at this point, but I wouldn’t say it’s a done deal,” said pollster Brad Coker. “She’s got the momentum, but there’s still 13 percent on the table.”

Lowden has had something of a collapse in the last few weeks.  At one point, this was her race to win.  The LVRJ reports that she made “mistake after mistake” in the final stretch, but that mainly centers on her odd comments about bartering for health care.  The real change in the race came from the support Angle got from the Tea Party Express and from the Club for Growth, both of which picked her as the true conservative Republican.

What happened to Reid’s lead over Angle — and for that matter, over Tarkanian?  Actually, nothing, and the polls are a little more consistent than they appear.  Reid stayed in place throughout all of this polling, between 39%-42% against all comers.  The change in polls comes from more voters willing to give the Republican candidates their support — with the exception of Lowden, who has lost ground.

Tarkanian may be a temporary beneficiary of Lowden’s ebbing support in the hypothetical general election matchup, but that won’t last past tomorrow.  Nevadans are looking for a change, and they’ll take it from Angle.  At least this far, Reid hasn’t been able to get above 42%, and without a third-party candidate in the race, that means defeat in November.

Comments

Sue Lowden’s hot, but we can’t have people in office who are pro-Obamacare in any way whatsoever. We need to REPEAL it.

fossten on June 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM

No matter who runs against Reid…Reid is a loser.
That’s what the poll shows.

right2bright on June 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM

lose lose harry

ted c on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Oh puhleeze let it be so.

petefrt on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Word of advice, Harry. If you’re gonna use your warchest to smear Angle, try to stick to the issues. Don’t pay a bunch of campaign aides to claim they had an affair with her.

Doughboy on June 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Amongst professionals, there is a saying: If you win, it’s because you had a good candidate. If you lose, it’s all the fault of the hired help. Aside from being (for the most part) true, it helps operatives from getting too swelled a head.

Well, Bob Uithoven, this pile of dog turds is right on your front stoop. You mismanaged Sue Lowden so badly that what should have been a sure thing is about to crash and burn, and it is all J3′s fault. You and Harrington sold her a bill of goods, and now she is about to choke on it. Congratulations, you morons.

And anyone in the NV political establishment, remember this moment. Remember it well. J3 has f**ked things up before, but nowhere near this badly, or on this big a stage. As Joe Heck just how much you can rely on bob Uithoven and Jen Harrington. Go ahead. I’m quite sure you’ll be amused by the answer.

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Harry,this war is lost.

docflash on June 7, 2010 at 8:57 AM

That’s the chicken for healthcare lady who tanked, right? Her remark didn’t exactly inspire confidence. *haha

AnninCA on June 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Harry might be able to get above 42 percent … if he could keep the Senate from meeting and/or doing anything controversial between now and November. Sadly for Reid, even if he wanted to, he’s still got Barack and Crazy Nancy out there to anger voters, and the Kagan hearings aren’t likely to help Harry paint his party as moving towards the moderate center.

jon1979 on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Not even 9am and this thread already ain’t right.

Lanceman on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

No matter who runs against Reid…Reid is a loser.
That’s what the poll shows.

right2bright on June 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I’ve worked on the ground in Nevada GOP politics for most of the last decade. Believe me when I tell you this:

By giving Sharron Angle the nomination, the GOP is putting at risk their chance to unseat Harry Reid. Under no circumstances was this going to be easy. Harry is a very talented campaigner, and a vicious political infighter, who has created a very modern and very sophisticated 21st century version of a political machine. I would guess there are between 20-40 left-wing interest groups in Nevada that owe their existence to Harry Reid, and are, as we speak, preparing to mobilize against the GOP candidate.

I’m not saying that Angle will lose. She can win. But she will be the underdog, and I don’t give a damn what one poll shows. (I’ve seen private polling done on behalf of other GOP candidates showing her getting beaten by Reid, while Lowden and Tark actually prevail).

Once again, this looks very much like a “Lose with Goldwater, win with Rockefeller) moment.

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Didn’t Harry want a “Tea Party” candidate in the race. He got one, except it’s not his stalking horse.

Don’t wish too hard for what you want, or you just might get it, Harry…

Wethal on June 7, 2010 at 9:03 AM

That turds about to get flushed, hope he turns powdery in the hot Nevada sun!

abobo on June 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

From KozKidz: (quoting from John Bresnahan and Manu Raju
at Politico)

She wants to privatize Social Security; cut federal spending by hundreds of billions of dollars; build nuclear power plants inside Yucca Mountain; abolish the federal income tax and institute a “simpler, fairer, flatter tax system”; “defund Obamacare”; pull the United States out of the United Nations; ban nearly all abortions; get rid of the Energy and Education departments as well as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac; and remove all campaign finance restrictions, requiring instead immediate reporting of donations.

And in a state with a large and growing Hispanic population, Angle takes a hard-line view on immigration, siding with the tough new Arizona law that gives law enforcement officials broad discretion to crack down on suspected illegal aliens.

Sounds like my kind of girl.

Now to the store for some bleach.

davidk on June 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

John Thune defeated what’s-his-name when he was Senate Leader. Pretty soon, we’ll have another what’s-his-name who was defeated in elections.

So long Harry!

SeniorD on June 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I should make clear, the private polling to which I referred was not for US Senate candidates, but for GOP down-ticket candidates.

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM

BTW KK thinks that going with Angle guarantees Reid a win.

davidk on June 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM

SeniorD on June 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Maybe we can turn Daschle into a verb; as in “Reid’s gonna get daschled.”

davidk on June 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Not talking policy here, just numbers: maybe someone can explain here just why Angle should be “leading,” particularly over Tarkanian.

With a 4% margin of error (see small print), Angle’s 3% advantage over Reid is “a dead heat,” whereas Tarkanian’s 7% is a clear lead over Reid.

Lockstein13 on June 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

go dance with obama’s wife harry….fool

ted c on June 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I’m for whomever or whatever can beat the vile traitor Harry Reid into a puddle of pulp.

For the damage Reid has done to this country, he should be rotting in Leavenworth and on trial for his worthless life.

NoDonkey on June 7, 2010 at 9:10 AM

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

There have been plenty of public polls showing Reid beating Angle, but it all comes down to how effective a campaigner she is. I think she and her handlers will learn from Rand Paul’s missteps and not allow themselves to get sidetracked by the Dems or the media(I know, I’m being redundant) by issues that don’t matter to voters.

Bottom line, Reid is extremely unpopular and Nevada’s economy is in the toilet. If Angle runs a competent campaign, there’s no way in hell the voters reelect Dingy Harry.

Doughboy on June 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Are you sure you’re not misreading the atmosphere in Nevada? Admittedly it’s been 6 years since I lived there, but I still have many friends active in politics and they are done with Dingy. He of course has the very, very small idiot Mormon vote and the Union thugs, but that wont help him beat anyone candidate in a two candidate race.

If you’re trying to keep Nevada voters motivated by preaching doom and gloom, never fear….Nevadans will support Angle by a wide margin over Dingy. Dingy’s ONLY positive with swing voters was Yucca Mountain and more importantly, the Mormon vote. Well, he’s lost the Mormon vote. He’s doing the Stake center circuits and members are not happy about it. Additionally he actually campaigned to a relative of mine in the Las Vegas Temple!

I try not to judge a persons worthiness, but I honestly cannot comprehend how that scumbag gets through his temple interviews honestly. He must contort facts like a pretzel to actually believe he is speaking the truth.

csdeven on June 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I had an hour long one-on-one conversation with Angle. She is the real deal and should be supported by conservatives everywhere. She has an excellent track record and won’t be bought by the influence crowd in D.C.

Mojave Mark on June 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Doughboy on June 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Reid is unpopular, and Nevada’s economy is in the toilet, true.

But the problem with Sharron is… it’s like my old boss used to say about his Democratic Party… they just can’t help themselves.

No matter who she brings on board to work with her and advise her, no matter how much (what little of it there is) the NVGOP establishment tells her to be cool, no matter what the polls, voters, and newspapers say, Sharron isn’t going to keep her mouth shut. She will let her right-wing freak-flag fly. It’s like it is encoded in her DNA. She just can’t help it.

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Doughboy on June 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Yep.

His approval is in the 30′s.

Unemployment in LV is 14.2%.

LV leads the nation in foreclosures.

What will he run on, amnesty?

The very unpopular HCR law?

Our debt level?

He won’t dare bring Obama to NV.

He can only win by dragging his opponent’s approval lower than his.

And that’s what he’ll try to do.

artist on June 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM

When you are dealing with corruption on the magnitude of Reid, he has to go. Never give evil a second chance. What is unnerving is that Reid is even viable. We have a large percentage of brain dead lifeforms among us. That is why we are in dire straits and on the verge of losing our country as we know it.

volsense on June 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM

csdeven on June 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Are you sure you’re not misreading the atmosphere in Nevada?

Not to be too boastful (especially anonymously on a right-wing blog :) ), but I do have a pretty good track record of reading the political atmosphere in Nevada (well, at least in Clark County). Including, I might add, telling my colleagues for weeks before early voting that Angle was likely to take the nomination.

But as in all things yet untold, I will qualify it with the admission that I could be wrong. I just don’t think I am.

First of all, I think his share of the MoMo vote will be quite high, especially against Angle. And never discount the value of a very strong Culinary Union behind him.

Secondly, it won’t be a two-man race. At very least, there will be a Libertarian candidate in the race. Now, in most places that wouldn’t matter. But at least twice I’ve been on the wrong end of a race where had the (L) vote gone to the GOP candidate, we would have won a close one instead of losing a close one. In Nevada politics, it really can make a difference.

If you’re trying to keep Nevada voters motivated by preaching doom and gloom,

Sorry, just calling it like I’s sees it. I like Sharron Angle, and probably would have voted for her in the primary, but for professional loyalty to another candidate way back in the pack.

Nevadans will support Angle by a wide margin over Dingy

If you lived in Nevada, you must be familiar with the precepts of gaming. So, what is the “spread” you are willing to offer on that “wide margin”, and just how much “action” are you willing to “cover”?

Well, he’s lost the Mormon vote.

I’m not LDS, so I can’t pretend to be sure about that. But I really do doubt he will lose the Mormon vote, especially to Angle.

Okay… that really does seem low.

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM

How will Reid have a chance? THe race card and class jealousy. Its all they have, but it elected Obama and the demonrats in power now. The hate is going to be ratcheted up as never before starting in late summer. The dims can exploit the ignorance and hate of their followers at election time like no others.

volsense on June 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM

JohnGalt23 on June 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM

You are up to date, so I tend to side with you.

I do think that Sharron is the protest candidate. More so than a third party (L) candidate. And we all know that rank and file Nevadans LOVE to protest! Nevadans still embody the spirit of the American pioneer, and I think that will be supremely manifest in November.

I’ll say Sharron beats Dingy by 10 points.

Harry has lost most of the Mormon vote except for a small majority of idiots. Short of Sharron being a rabid anti-Mormon, I am confident that they will support her.

I envy you though. I want to cast another vote against that scumbag Harry I can taste it! And this time it will send him back to Searchlight!

Do me a favor….think of me when you punch your vote! Give it and extra “WHAMMO” for me! lmao

csdeven on June 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM

From your lips to God’s ear…

Midas on June 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I hope the Club for Growth knows what they’re doing…

ninjapirate on June 7, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Do NOT count Reid out, he can raise 20-25 million at the snap of a finger, has the support of the dirty dealing & vote rigging Unions & ACORN on his side. Believe me I cannot stand him and will do all I can to rid our great state of his blight, but all of us here in Nevada know that all he has to do is carry Clark County, home of the big NV Unions, and he could be re-elected ( God forbid ). I personaly think that is such BS, that 1 county, mostly populated by rejects from CA, can determine the fate of an entire state, and a nation to a lesser extent. WE MUST GET RID OF REID NOW !!!!

Ltmousseman on June 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM

this isn’t good, dems are hoping she gets nominated.

jp on June 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I’m with JohnGalt above: I think Angle is the best chance of LOSING to Reid.

I fear the Tea Party may be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

crushliberalism on June 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM

From “here on the ground” in Las Vegas – I think Ed’s analysis is spot-on. I’ve spoken with all three candidates more than once, but what pushed Angle over the top for me was her endorsement by the Tea Party Express, and Mark Levin’s unqualified endorsement of Angle. The crowd “buzz” at Friday’s event was definitely leaning towards Angle as well.

Word on the street too, is that Reid has lost the support of the Mormons – they are done with him. (This came from a loony lefty associate of mine who’s in a position to know.) The Mormons basically run the democrap political machine here – Reid is toast.

Fishoutofwater on June 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I’m not sure what to think of Angle, but Lowden’s a clear loser at this point.

Son Of Tark appears to be a good bet, but he has to gain a lot of support at the expense of Lowden to lap Angle for the nomination.

teke184 on June 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I’ll take both. My memories of Mason-Dixon is they’re consistently inconsistent.

steveegg on June 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Please Lord, let Angle defeat Reid.

As a side note, I’m an NRA member and receive their American Rifleman monthly. In the latest issue, Harry Reid is praised for being a supporter of gun rights and is shown cutting the ribbon at a new gun range in Nevada. They recently gave the late Senator Murtha similar praise for being Pro-second Amendment. The NRA is getting close to losing a member.

NRA leadership seems unable to weigh the load of crap these politicians dish out versus the one, admittedly important, issue of Second Amendment rights. Angle is an ardent supporter of our right to keep and bear arms and deserving of NRA support, which makes the positive publicity they give scum like Reid in an election year even more despicable.

pugwriter on June 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Reid: This war is lost!

Christian Conservative on June 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Yep. To have any hope of beating Reid, the GOP has to have a candidate with decent support in Clark County (Las Vegas and Henderson). Angle IS NOT a good choice for Clark County at all. Danny Tarkanian is popular down there because of his dad and because of all the work he has done in Vegas on their basketball academy and charitable things to help Las Vegas.

I actually don’t think Angle can win, having lived in Henderson and worked on some political stuff in the very recent past. My folks have lived in Henderson for over a decade, and they won’t vote for Angle because of her close relationships with Scientologist committees and her strange statements about alcohol consumption. She just comes across kinda crazy.

funky chicken on June 7, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Lockstein13 on June 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

because the Tea Party Express is more about winning primaries than general elections?

funky chicken on June 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM

For all the talk about the Mormon vote, I’ve always thought that Mormons were supposed to be very conservative. Supposedly, look at Utah. That’s what I get for reading things on the web and believing some of it.

Mirimichi on June 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM

From KozKidz: (quoting from John Bresnahan and Manu Raju
at Politico)

Sounds like my kind of girl.

Now to the store for some bleach.

davidk on June 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

If what you have quoted from the KozKidz is correct, then I wholeheartedly support her.

Mirimichi on June 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM

In the meantime, Senator Reid has personally taken charge of the stimulus project constructing a high-speed rail line between Las Vegas, Nevada and Mexicali, Mexico. I’m still searching the internet for video of Harry Reid with a hardhat and whip screaming, “Build it faster, DAMNIT, my job’s at stake!”

olesparkie on June 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM

There’s a big move out here to make it seem like Angle is the most likely to lose to Reid, but if you consider the source of this theory (Reid himself), you’d be right to be suspicious of this belief.

Jim-Rose on June 7, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Mirimichi on June 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM

They were citing those things as negatives.

davidk on June 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Here we go again….more worried about winning than getting a candidate that follows the constitution. I’ll take phasing out social security and killing our abysmal gub’ment skools over Scientology and alcohol.

And Nevadans are just the free minded folks to do exactly that. You folks have got to remember that Dingy Harry has Obama care around his neck like a millstone and there is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, he can do to remove it.

There is no reason to support a RINO because the Tea Party candidate will eviscerate Dingy!

csdeven on June 7, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Sharron Angle has won the support of almost every conservative organization out there…she is the real deal. The only thing dingy Harry can throw at her is her conservatism…hopefully the people of Nevada will finally see the light.

DCJeff on June 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM

We are going to blow this race…WOW.

Chudi on June 7, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I hope Angel wins.

It’s kind of a shame how lousy the potential Republican nominees are.

The good candidates are waiting for ’12 or challenging Gibbons, rather than risking political capital against a well-funded opponent in a blue state.

Mister Mets on June 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM

As a Nevadan, seeing the pettiness of the commercials against Angle are what sold me. There is very little substance in the debate here.

For veterans like myself, a simple ad recalling Harry’s words “The war is lost.” would get my vote against him regardless of the competition.

jcrue on June 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Uberleftists are all for separation of church and state until they want to campaign themselves.

Being a featured speaker requires permission from the hierarchy leaders, regardless of the event. Is Reid speaking from the pulpit during mandated attendance official conferences? If speaking at less formal engagements, wouldn’t those attending confront him for supporting abortion and illegal immigration?

maverick muse on June 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

The only thing voters have to fear is fear.

maverick muse on June 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM

maverick muse on June 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I’m pretty sure the Stake can make that decision locally without specifically going through Slat Lake City. These aren’t mandated meetings. More like a fireside. I don’t think he is getting the attendance he has received in years past. Nevada Mormons, like Nevadans themselves, are a different breed. They aren’t like Utah Mormons who trust anyone who is LDS.

All the issues Dingy has been championing for Obama are completely contrary to LDS theology. Just look up their Articles of faith and you’ll see how far Dingy has fallen. He uses the 13th Article to justify his support for the agenda that violates our constitution. Dingy is bound by his oath of office and more importantly to Mormons, he is bound by the 12th Article of Faith to uphold and defend the Constitution. As far as most Mormons are concerned, Dingy might as well wipe his @ss with the constitution and the Articles of Faith, over the way he has treated the both of them.

Like Glenn Beck has said, political life will cost you your soul. I believe Dingy has lost his way. (If he ever really believed the tenets of the faith)

csdeven on June 7, 2010 at 4:17 PM

A little news for the Harry Reid fans posting about Sharron Angle.

Alcohol rumors: Sharron Angle spent last Friday and Saturday night in bars – Friday night at Stoney’s in Las Vegas (3rd trip this campaign) and Saturday night at MJ’s in Carson City. I was at MJ’s – great crowd asking tough questions for 90 minutes – and LOTS of applause – ESPECIALLY on her tough stance against illegal immigration, corruption in DC, etc. She was VERY comfortable and also chatted with patrons on bar stools after her main speech and Q+A. So much for Angle’s “prohibition campaign”.

Scientology rumors: She investigated (with a state corrections official) a program reputed to have only 10% recidivism. Since Angle had been a tutor working in state prisons for several years, she knows the problems of prisoners personally. The Democrat Assembly leader tried to tar her with this because Sharron was fighting tax increases at the time. Sharron is a Baptist (hence she drinks club soda at bars). Note to critics – if you ever rented Tom Cruise’s “Top Gun”, you are also disqualified.

As Mark Levin said
, “Sharron Angle will kick (Harry Reid) his a$$!!”

Strength in Las Vegas: Angle, not Lowden nor Tark, won both the Clark county GOP straw poll AND the post debate audience straw poll held in Las Vegas.

She has had ZERO attack ads (TEA Party Express and Club for Growth did) so she has made no enemies among Conservatives.

This double issue – jobs and illegal immigration will sink Harry:

Reid is TOAST. With record unemployment of American citizens and hordes of illegal aliens invading our country, Reid has been on the wrong side every time.

The same weekend that 1200 Arizonans attended a funeral for a rancher murdered by illegal alien drug smugglers, good old Harry was leading a rally of illegal aliens and their supporters in Las Vegas, promising them swift action on “amnesty” (“Comprehensive Immigration Reform” for liberals and McCain). Wrong side, Harry.

And when it comes time to lead the Senate — remember these numbers: 407 to 2.

Why are they important? They demonstrate how out of touch Reid is with America, how he is courting votes of future “legalized” illegal aliens, and how he is punishing American citizen workers. 407 to 2. Remember these numbers: 407 to 2.

In February, 2009, the House passed an amendment that required all the billions or trillions (hard to keep the comma in the right place these days!) of federal stimulus money (i. e. American taxpayers’ hard-earned dollars) to be spent on contracts with companies that used E-verify, so as
to ensure that all those $$$$ would eventually go to American citizens, too many of whom are unemployed.

What did the majority leader of the Senate do? He ignored the wishes of the American people, as expressed through their elected representatives by an overwhelming 407 to 2 vote, and BLOCKED all attempts to have a vote on a similar amendment in the Senate.

Result: Billions of our taxes intentionally spent on jobs for ILLEGAL ALIENS.

You can thank Harry (TOAST) Reid in November by remembering these numbers: 407 to 2.

fred5678 on June 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I hope that stupid comment she made about alcohol doesn’t come back to bite her.

Speedwagon82 on June 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Speaking of stupid commenters —

Speedwagon82 on June 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Sharron Angle enjoying campaigning at Stoney’s western bar in Las Vegas. Rockin’ place!!

And the next night in Carson City at MJ’s Sports Bar. (Not big enough to have it’s own web site.)

REID IS TOAST! Get used to it.

fred5678 on June 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM