White House bailing on Kendrick Meek in Florida?

posted at 8:30 am on June 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

While Marco Rubio and Charlie Crist have snagged most of the headlines in Florida’s Senate race, Democrat Kendrick Meek has mostly been ignored — even by his own party.  With two Republicans splitting the vote, a Democrat should have sailed into the lead … or at least into second place.  Instead, Meek consistently comes in third in the three-man race in polling, and key Democratic strategists have begun to give up on Meek:

Top Democratic strategists are abandoning their party’s frontrunner in the Florida Senate race in favor of Independent Charlie Crist, who bolted the Republican party over the state party’s rightward lurch toward the Tea Party.

SKDKnickerbocker, a leading Democratic political strategy and communications firm, has agreed to work on Crist’s up-hill campaign as an independent for the U.S. Senate.

First, the party didn’t “lurch to the right.”  Crist lurched towards Barack Obama when the President was popular, backing Obama’s profligate spending agenda.  Second, the party continued to back Crist, with the NRSC issuing its endorsement of Crist as soon as he entered the race and keeping their support in place until the moment Crist abandoned the GOP.  Crist lost the voters, which is an entirely different thing than the party.

Returning to the story, it may be that Obama is lurching back towards Crist after all, at least by proxy:

Making it all the more ominous for Meek is that SKDKnickerbocker is helmed by Anita Dunn, who most recently served as senior advisor to President Obama and is one of the administration’s most valued political operators outside the White House. …

But said another Democrat: “They never would have signed on to the Crist campaign unless it was okay at the highest levels.”

Three months ago, Politico reported that Dunn was part of the re-election campaign team that Obama had already assembled after just 13 months in his first term.  She’s already at the highest levels of the administration, despite leaving over her public praise of Chairman Mao.  If Dunn has SKDK running the Crist campaign, that sends a big signal to Meek — who backed Hillary Clinton in the presidential primaries — that he’s on his own.

Unfortunately, that’s not going to help Crist much.  SKDK did help Joe Lieberman get elected as an independent in Connecticut in 2006, but Marco Rubio isn’t Ned Lamont, and Crist isn’t going to split the Republican vote with Rubio.  He will split the Democrat vote with Meek, and split the indies with Rubio.  That puts him in position for a strong second-place finish at best … which is exactly where he is at the moment.

Comments

anita dunn has been busy, get this, she is now forming a new group to (chuckle) sell Obamacare to the public.

rob verdi on June 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Racists.

Daddy-O on June 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I saw your interview with Rubio yesterday, Ed, and he was very impressive. I hope he wins in a blowout.

disa on June 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Wow sunshine boy you really hate America. This is further proof that we as a party must get rid f all the rats before we lose our identity as the party of America.

bessex on June 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Nothing would please me more than to witness DemocRATS running to jump aboard an engulfed-in-flames, sinking ship.

Wait.

Make that an engulfed-in-flames, sinking dinghy.

Doorgunner on June 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM

It is really going to be hard for the demonrats to play the race card after dismissing Meek. Since race and class jealousy is all they have, they are really desperate. What the heck, aren’t they always? Exploiting hate has always been their standard operating procedure. It won’t stop now, it’s who they are.

volsense on June 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

…a “strong second place finish for Crist”…..wow. That puts you in a good solid B+ range, right along with your huggin’ buddy.

nice work, champ–second place in elections is good enough for a gold star on your forehead.

ted c on June 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Meek must not be radical enough for Obama and his thugs.
Has Obama selected a single person of color who doesn’t have a background of radicalism, communism, terrorism?

If I’m Meek, I’m silently grateful that Obama has decided to cozy up to the opponent.

Keemo on June 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

maybe the tactic of “let him win by ignoring him” has finally sunk into their skulls.

they’ve already tried the “win by endorsement” tactic…and… we’ve seen how that turned out for not-SEN Marlee Coakley or whatever the heck her name is…

ted c on June 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Who’s going to offer Meek a job?

What’s Crist going to get for switching to Democrat?

forest on June 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I look forward to: “I, Marco Rubio, do solemnly swear, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic…”

and also look forward to congratulating Chuckie Crisp for his strong, second place finish…

ted c on June 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Crist is becoming more weasely by the day. I hope the good folks in FL can see that he is attempting to manipulate them for his own good , certainly not theirs, Democrats included.

jeanie on June 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Although, in defense of Democratic Party strategists, Crist has clearly, in superior fashion, demonstrated the requisite ability to reverse his position on any issue. As such, he merits Democratic support.

Doorgunner on June 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Obama and Crist? Hmmmmm…. are the rumors true?

CC

CapedConservative on June 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I think your analysis is spot on … In Florida the focus has moved on the the Governor’s race, which Bush acolyte Bill McCollum trying his best to bash Rick Scott.

Trouble for McCollum the illegal immigration issue, he does not support Arizona style laws. A bad move, as most Floridian s do.

Crist is not going to win, people have seen what a traitor to their party looks like, and it’s not pretty. Crist gives off the aurora of me me me me me, all the time.

tarpon on June 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Evidently Meek is not corrupt enough for the Bambi Posse. Crist will lie, steal and cheat. Its a marriage made in heaven.

volsense on June 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Someone should eat their hat over this.

the_nile on June 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I guess it’s time to offer Meek a job as head of USAID.

Purple Fury on June 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Democrats are desperate for a “win” to stop the narrative that people are rejecting Obamanomics. I don’t get the logic of this move though. Attempting to appeal to moderates and cast the GOP as “too right-wing” or something would be my first guess.

How are they going to spin it when Rubio wins?

Mord on June 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Will Crist win if Meeks drops out?

LurkerDood on June 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Once again, the dems throw a brother under the bus in favor of the white guy.

thekingtut on June 5, 2010 at 9:22 AM

How are they going to spin it when Rubio wins?

Mord

They’ll be like the captain of the Titanic. As the water rises over his head, he’s wondering when the pumps are going to kick in.

thekingtut on June 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Will Crist win if Meeks drops out?

LurkerDood on June 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Basically,no. There really is no way possible for Crist to win this election short of a BIG fumble by Rubio. The Florida Senate Republican primary was the equivalent of the 90s Cowboys/Niners battles. The NFC championship was the real Super Bowl. Florida is a very center right state. The republican does not need to fight for his party’s votes in any way AND they are totally hyped. Which means the Democrat MUST do the same to have a shot at winning. Can’t happen. The only way they will get the blacks to the polls is with Meek and Meek has no shot. Even if Meek drops out the blacks stay home, they likely will even if he stays in. Without the black vote the left of center candidate can not win a close election and a close election is the only shot a Democrat has this year virtually everywhere.

Rocks on June 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Will Crist win if Meeks drops out?

LurkerDood on June 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Good question, since that is what will likely happen. I don’t know why this possibility is being ignored by most people. After Meek takes his White House arranged job, I’ll bet Crist takes the lead and then slowly drops as he gets hammered for having zero integrity. It’ll be close, and I’m pretty worried about it. And if Crist does win, he’ll become a Democrat in accordance with the White House deal to get Meek out of the race.

forest on June 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM

tarpon on June 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Crist is going to follow Specter’s lead. Specter was goaded into switching parties in order to get an uncontested primary—then failed to get it and lost because Democrats would rather vote for a “real Democrat” than whatever Specter had morphed into. Crist will likely get the same treatment from Florida voters, IMO.

ted c on June 5, 2010 at 9:38 AM

K Meek endorsed HRC very early and went on campaign with Big Dawg. I saw them here in Phoenix in Feb 2008. Expected O to drop Meek at earliest opportunity. plus Crist helped make SURE there was NO REVOTE in FL, only the Govs, Granholm in MI, Crist in FL couldve pushed it through. Crist has been in Os pocket for a looong time IMO.

ginaswo on June 5, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Kendrick Meek, meet the undercarriage of the bus!

Undercarriage of the bus, meet Kendrick Meek!

pilamaye on June 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Wow! Great info!

Who knew??

Khun Joe on June 5, 2010 at 9:44 AM

We’ll have to wait and see what gifts Specter will receive from Obama and his media for becoming the 60th vote.

Scum is everywhere in this administration.

Keemo on June 5, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Meek probably rejected his WH job offer.

Jorge Bonilla on June 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Wait until Glenn Beck hears that Anita Dunn will be involved in helping Crist win in Florida. Beck has a huge following at the Villages with his 9/12 project. That will be fun to watch Beck connect the dots.

texasconserv on June 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I suppose when your sister is running your campaign you take help from wherever it’s offered, but it’s going to be interesting to see how Crist runs an independent campaign against Rubio if Florida voters see his bid being overseen by Obama’s top campaign strategist.

jon1979 on June 5, 2010 at 9:56 AM

just doesn’t seem right…

i guess this is why we see crist hanging out with dear leader in LA and meek is mia….

cmsinaz on June 5, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Obama and Crist? Hmmmmm…. are the rumors true?

CC

CapedConservative

Absolutely not!
There shall be no other before ME!
Signed:

Larry Sinclair

honsy on June 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Please Barry, please endorse Charlie

notagool on June 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

The very consistent Crist shill and Rubio hater is Joe Scarborough. Sometimes I tune to his show when Fox and Friends are having Miley Cyrus sing or something – no more. Not after one day seeing him say the voters are not going to punish Obama and the Democrats for the BP spill “because they are reasonable” and the previous day declaring “Rubio is really going to suffer because of this in the Florida Senate race”.

Marcus on June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

It appears that crist and bo are pairing off. Wonder how michelle will take it?

tim c on June 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Can’t be racist. They’re still supporting a person of color.

RBMN on June 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

To quote the nasty, vile, dirty, and disgusting Janine Garafolo:

“This is about hating a black man in the Florida Senate. This is racism straight up. That is nothing but a bunch of White House rednecks.”

Fuzzlenutter on June 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Crist really is one of the most repulsively unprincipled politicians I’ve ever seen. His complete and utter shamelessness is amazing.

Slublog on June 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

It is just more hurtful to repubs. for dems. to run Crist…Has nothing to do with Meek being less evil…It is just more gotcha stuff from O.

Anita Dunn worked her “mao magic” in Britain and split vote for Cameron.
Do not underestimate this commie hag.

John Cornyn (Limbaugh basher) deserves a call from you on Monday.

He is part of why the GOP keeps screwing up…Hillary’s and Indian workers best buddy has been playing both sides. H1B Visas have been usurping American workers and loading US up with Indian tech workers for years.

Every day these people attack it seems Issa (arab) and his distraction of Sestak, while Shore Bank is poised to get its bail out and cap and trade money is happening under our noses…The Sestak (distraction) will take years and come to nothing….Shore Bank is the KEY.

nondhimmie on June 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

It appears that crist and bo are pairing off.

tim c on June 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Hmm, Ben and Jennifer = “Bennifer”

Brad and Angelina = “Brangelina”

Charlie and Barack = “Charack”?

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I just can’t believe the Democrats haven’t figured out how to beat every Republican this fall.
Just have Obama endorse each and every one of them and then campaign for them!

chickasaw42 on June 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Wouldn’t it be easier, to offer Meek a high ranking position in the Obama administration, in return for dropping from the race?

No point in changing the MO now, is there?

franksalterego on June 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Isn’t that RACIST!? Throwing a black man under the bus?

GarandFan on June 5, 2010 at 10:26 AM

To quote the nasty, vile, dirty, and disgusting Janine Garafolo:

Fuzzlenutter on June 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Funny.

I love it when aging limo-libs try to sound hip and “down with the cause” by using antiquated “street” lingo like “straight up”. Another favorite is old liberal guys like Biden saying “man” all the time when they talk to black people. These people are cringingly embarrassing, but it’s kinda funny to watch them make fools of themselves, maaannnn.

forest on June 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM

This story exemplifies the term RINO. Anytime anyone tries to tell you that RINOs don’t exist and that the republicans need to have a big tent, remind them of Spector and Crist. It’s not about party purity. The arguments been spun to say (again) that republicans are bigots who can’t accept anything but “true” conservatives. It’s not true!
Rinos are selfserving political hacks! And that’s why they need to be removed not because the rest of the party thinks they are squishy on some political point or other!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on June 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Just another case of a (half) white man trying to keep a brotha down!

TugboatPhil on June 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Oh… And I register independant but I vote 99% republican just for full disclosure.

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on June 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Ah, when the scales fall from the eyes….

BuckeyeSam on June 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM

White House bailing on Kendrick Meek in Florida?

The Meek shall inherit the…
…bus tire tracks across his face.

itsnotaboutme on June 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Our condolences. Most of us get fooled by a politician we like at least once in our lives. The key is to figure out what it was that blinded us to their chicanery and correct it from then on.

chemman on June 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Another black dude ignored by Oblahblah. Further proof that Oblahblah hates himeslf.

SouthernGent on June 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Crist. Reliable vote for whomever is writing the cheks. But funny regardless. I’m looking forward to this showboat going down in flames.

Hog Wild on June 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM

So this is tantamount to an admission by Crispy that he’ll caucus with the Dems should he somehow pull this off. I swear, he better not get a single Republican vote in this race.

Doughboy on June 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Keemo on June 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Meeks may still have a career after 2012

Sekhmet on June 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

This is an easy one: Your political decisions are not based on principles, but on desired outcomes wrapped in a gauze of principle. As a result, you drift towards politicians that promise outcomes that may, or may not, be based on sound principles. Thus, when a politician continues to support polices that have been proven to fail/violate principle or seeks support in furtherance of outcome in violation of principle, you are shocked and surprised. Others are simply surprised you are surprised.

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I’m so proud of you, that you’ve never ever ever been wrong about a politician.

itsnotaboutme on June 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I’m so proud of you, that you’ve never ever ever been wrong about a politician.

itsnotaboutme on June 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Not at all, just learned the difference between politics and principles early on, that’s all.

You are a pretty decent psychic though – I hear W could use some help looking into men’s souls.

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Honestly, you couldn’t be farther off mark. With Crist, I was simply under the impression he had principles.

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I figure it’ll take another 3-5 years for you to realize the importance of the portion of my post you decided not to quote.

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM

But Joe Scarborough has assured us that Crist will win.

Jon0815 on June 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM

It doesn’t take a psychic to perceive a cowardly wanna-be-bully when there are so many clues. The kind who enjoys starting fights–over nothing–with people he’ll never see. I feel sorry for you.

itsnotaboutme on June 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I’ve been worried that Meek will drop out of the race and his supporters will put Crist over the top. I hope it is not to be so.

dczombie on June 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Racists.

Daddy-O on June 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Nazis, Ku Klux Klan, it is like that dog killed by Huckabee’s kid is being lynched all over again.

borntoraisehogs on June 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM

“How could I have been SO WRONG about Crist…I swear he’s turned out to be the most opportunist narcissist I think I’ve ever seen in politics.”

Almost but in some order you had
Teddy the Swimmer,
Jimmah the C
And top of the list
Da Won
christ is in good company on the list but never will match
o bummah.

Col.John Wm. Reed on June 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Crist is a perfect example of what was/is wrong with the old Republican establishment. There is no “For the good of the party and what we believe in” mentality. Crist is in this for himself. He has a wavering ideology and is more than willing to be a spoiler of potential conservative gains in November to get what “he” want. He is the epitome of RINO and all the bad connotations of that word.

hawkdriver on June 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

If you read a lot of comments there, you would have seen a lot of folks pulling for Crist based on a single plank of his political platform. I still see this as a major problem of the one tent fits all mentality. So some of the things being hawked in our big tent are no different that what’s being hawked in the other big tent. And of course, some Republicans follow the candidates that good or bad, strike a chord on that keystone issue for them.

hawkdriver on June 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Poor Meek was tweeting yesterday about the Whitehouse support he was getting and provided a link to a short video of Belway Bob Gibbs mentioning him.

This is his tweet.

Kinda sad if you think about. What is the CBC going to say if this all turns out to be true? (They will side with Obama of course)

AnthonyK on June 5, 2010 at 1:47 PM

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

chemman on June 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Yes…that’s tre…I supported Huckabee…ugh…

CCRWM on June 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Yes…that’s tre true…I supported Huckabee…ugh…

CCRWM on June 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

CCRWM on June 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Another black man thrown under the bus!

MCGIRV on June 5, 2010 at 2:05 PM

hawkdriver on June 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with single-issue, or say, predominant-issue voters – as long as they realize what they are trading out. Pretty sure it’s happened to most of us at one time or another.

But don’t try to agree with me, lest I bully you over nothing. ;)

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Sir/Madam:

Sticks and stones
may break your bones
but words will never hurt you.

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Everytime Obama has meeting in the Gulf, Crist is always right next to him. I think this is on purpose.

Clark1 on June 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Clark1 on June 5, 2010

Crist is trying to cling to the coattails of a naked emperor.

SKYFOX on June 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Time for an aggressive ambush interview of Anita Dunn outside SKDKnickerbocker’s offices, asking “Which policy positions of Democrat Kendrick Meek do you reject? Why do you prefer former Republican Charlie ‘Snooki’ Crist? Why have you decided to work for Meek’s opponent, and against the Democrat?”

Jaibones on June 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM

alexwest on June 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Great to be bullied when you can’t even tell.

hawkdriver on June 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM

JetBoy on June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

It’s not like we didn’t try to warn you…

Quit whining and eat your hat already!

JohnBG on June 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM

My gut told me this, a few weeks back…that Crist, and the Dems were hashing out a plan together, and Crist was on the Dem dole. Now here we are.

capejasmine on June 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM