Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on June 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

And so we come at last to the final Obamateurism of the oil-spill press conference … Barack Obama’s insistence that he has been so focused on the unfolding disaster in the Gulf that even his pre-teen daughter bugs him about it in the morning:

And so my job right now is just to make sure that everybody in the Gulf understands this is what I wake up to in the morning and this is what I go to bed at night thinking about — the spill. The — and it’s not just me, by the way. You know, when I woke up this morning, and I’m shaving, and Malia knocks on my bathroom door and she peeks in her head and she says, “Did you plug the hole yet, Daddy?” — (soft laughter) — because I think everybody understands that, you know, when we are fouling the Earth like this, it has concrete implications not just for this generation but for future generations.

Perhaps she does. However, this has the feel of a carefully crafted Political Anecdote, which serves as both a Very Cute Family Moment but also as an Instructive Lesson on the True Victims of Said Disaster. Unfortunately, it also sounds a lot like the President with whom Obama has been increasingly compared: Jimmy Carter. In his 1980 debate against Ronald Reagan, Carter also tried playing the out-of-the-mouths-of-babes card, and wound up a national joke for it overnight:

Obama has been pretty good in his presidency in avoiding using his family as public-relations shields, which given his serious decline in the polls, has to be a huge temptation these days. That’s one of the reasons why this moment was so odd, apart from the fact that we were somehow asked to believe in Obama’s commitment to an issue not because of the lives it had already cost and the billions of dollars in damage the disaster was causing, but because his daughter bugged him about it one morning. It’s a laughably phony attempt to humanize his response to the Deepwater Horizon crisis.

Comments

“Daddy,will I ever have to get a real job? “

bbz123 on June 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM

The Joker should consider the very real possibility that Malia was being sarcastic.

“So Daddy, did you plug the hole yet? Huh? Huh? What’s the holdup, Lightworker?”

SagebrushPuppet on June 4, 2010 at 8:09 AM

“Daddy, why do you lie?”

SurferDoc on June 4, 2010 at 8:09 AM

It really does feel like 1979 all over again. If this spill is any indication of how long its going to go, then we’re only 1/10th of the way into this baby.

Carter’s second term is looking a lot like the first.

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Oil of Obama

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 8:11 AM

He blew past Jimmeh a long time ago…and not in a good way.

AUINSC on June 4, 2010 at 8:11 AM

“So Daddy, which hole are you going to plug today? The ninth hole at Belvoir, the round hole with the net hanging from it, your piehole, Vera Baker, or that hole in the floor of the Gulf?….”

questions.

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:12 AM

questions.

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Today is going to be good! LMAO, Ted!

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM

What did Uncle Pookie say from the couch?

Disturb the Universe on June 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Despite all his faults, which were legion, I never thought that Jimmah Carter was anti-American, the way that Dear Liar is.

Presidentin’ sure is hard work.

rbj on June 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Not only am I a god, I’m a human one.

TimBuk3 on June 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:12 AM

lol x 100

Disturb the Universe on June 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM

What did Uncle Pookie say from the couch?

Disturb the Universe on June 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM

WAAAaaaasssuuuuuuuussusuuuuuuupppp…?

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Want some insight into this administration?

When this White House releases any communication whatsoever, ask yourself critically an honestly, “what strategic question was asked in the White House war room to precipitate this communication?”

Example: “Film maker James Cameron will be helping BP fix the oil leak”

Strategic question: “Name a popular celebrity on our political side with high favorable ratings we can call on to increase positive feelings and the perception that government is helping.

See that?

Example: “Little Malia asked me if I fixed the damn hole”

Strategic question: “Name something a man with no feeling could say to make others believe he is a caring and has feeling.”

jeff_from_mpls on June 4, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Loved the days when children were seen and not heard.

katy the mean old lady on June 4, 2010 at 8:16 AM

drudge has the bubble gum lights up……

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:17 AM

“Daddy, why do you play so much golf?”

myrenovations on June 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Is he sure she was talking about the oil disaster and not Rahm?

right2bright on June 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Well, this is a fine time for Øbama to suddenly become concerned about future generations. He sure didn’t care about them when he and Congress were saddling them with crushing debt last year.

Kafir on June 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

“Did you do anything about that debt yet, Daddy?”

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM

With all of the information coming out about Obama offering up the kitchen sink in his attempt to manage and control the political landscape, I can’t help but to wonder exactly what he paid the Clinton’s to get Bill involved in the Sestak cover-up. Had to be huge as compared to using his daughter in a cover-up.

Keemo on June 4, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Did he point his finger at her?

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

People here didn’t buy it. Louisiana may have voted for McCain overall, but New Orleans voted Obama in a big way. 2012 it’s going to be much more purple. People are furious. And not because Obama’s not emoting about the spill. People do hate BP, sure, but Obama’s a close second.

Laura Curtis on June 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Kafir on June 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth. “…it has concrete implications not just for this generation but for future generations.” — obviously this is only a situational concern for Big O, only to be voiced when it reinforces his story line.

KS Rex on June 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I’m not sure who does these transcripts, but when you quote someone you should actually write what they said, not what you think they meant to say. So, here is what he really said in the clip…

And so my job right now is just to make sure that ,uhh, everybody in the Gulf understands this is what I wake up to in the morning and this is what I go to bed at night thinking about — ,uhh, the spill. ,UHH, The — and it’s not just me, by the way. You know, when I woke up this morning, ,uhh, and I’m shaving, and Malia knocks on my bathroom door and she peeks in her head and she says, ,uhh, ,uhh, “Did you plug the hole yet, Daddy?” — (soft laughter) — ,uhh, because I think everybody understands ,uhh, that, you know, whenwhen we are fouling the Earth like ,uhh, this, it has concrete implications not just for this generation but for future generations.

MikeA on June 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Someone should tell Prez “I Like Turtles” that it is really, really, really hard for birds to fly around with oil all over their feathers.

MayorDaley on June 4, 2010 at 8:27 AM

So I guess president NancyPants is going to go back down there to the Gulf today to fondle some more tar balls. Can’t wait.

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 8:27 AM

MayorDaley on June 4, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Notice how much of the liberal media aren’t showing the pics of pelicans covered in oil…

JetBoy on June 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Don’t worry about the environment Obama, your policies will destroy our future generations ability to have the extra cash to visit the beach. But we’ll have free healthcare, and illegals running the southwest United States.

csdeven on June 4, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Unemployment at 9.7% despite all the holes and finger pointing and “singular focus on jobs, jobs, jobs”

“Daddy, when are you going to plug the hole in the economy?”

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM

“Daddy, when are you going to plug the hole in the economy?”

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM

41,000 new private sector jobs? That’s awful. Obama better be very careful about touting these figures, because once the Census is finished, hundreds of thousands of jobs will vanish overnight.

Doughboy on June 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM

“Daddy, can you please plug your piehole. You’re a national embarassment.”

txag92 on June 4, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Last night, for the first time, I saw on TV pictures of some kind of fowl drenched in oil. Once those images start making the rounds, Obama will really begin suffering.

“Daddy, did the birds get oily because you played so much golf, took so much vacation, went on so many fundraising trips for that loser Barbara Boxer, hosted so many sports teams, and hosted a party for that Mexican leader who’s criticizing our country?”

BuckeyeSam on June 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM

with all the holes needing plugged, finger-pointing, and flying dutchmen around saving our bacon on Christmas day from smoking jihadis—the only appropriate metaphor today is the finger in the leaking dike in the Netherlands. Once you throw Elena Kagan and Kevin Jennings in the mix, then it gets downright disgusting….

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM

“Daddy, can’t you parachute in like you did with Obamacare?”

ladyingray on June 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Usage of family member also reminds me of how Nixon — another president with whom Obama has been compared unfavorably — referred to his wife Pat in the “Checkers Speech.” In the case of Nixon, it worked at the moment but became a running gag when parodying Nixon. In the case of the current POTUS, it’s more likely to just go straight to running gag.

apostic on June 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM

All we need is Obama’s brother, an oily black rabbit, and a cardigan sweater and we can call her quits fellas—Carter Part Deux’s term is finished.

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Looks like last month’s report was revised down.

Also, the Euro is crashing again today. Lots of rumors and reports floating around yesterday and today. Eurusd finally broke through a level that was being protected. If it closes below 1.2100 (without CB intervention), it’s ready for the next leg down.

Anyway, great job, Zip! Solid B+ on wrecking the economy.

Cody1991 on June 4, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I know Glenn Beck apologized, but the routine he did on the radio about this was hysterical! It went on a bit long, but it really was funny. The ridicule was aimed at 0; some were offended feeling the daughter was being unfairly laughed at. I still hear the little voice in my head.

Obviously 0′s PR handlers wanted to humanize him. As they are now, following Spike Lee’s advice. Headlines now show 0 is “furious” about the oil spill. Count how many times today that comes up in headlines and LSM coverage.

publiuspen on June 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Loved the days when children were seen and not heard.

katy the mean old lady on June 4, 2010 at 8:16 AM

..and when you could whack them over the head with a canoe paddle if they attacked you.

Oh, wait, that was a rabbit.

The War Planner on June 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM

This is my focus.
This is all I care about,
And my family, too.

Malia asked me,
“Are your polls tanking, Daddy?”
I had to say, “Yes”…

Haiku Guy on June 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Yes it is, and it deserves ridicule. We’ll keep his children out of politics as long as he does. But when he injects them into the debate, he makes them fair game.

I kinda wish Beck had made this point instead of, or at least along with his apology.

petefrt on June 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 8:42 AM

..and a failed hostage rescue attempt.

The War Planner on June 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Another obvious question is, which Democrat is going to challenge Obama for the party nomination in 2012? Who’s Obama’s Ted Kennedy? If Obama’s popularity doesn’t dramatically turn around, there will be someone. They’ll be called “racist,” but that term is thrown around so freely now, it’s losing its sting.

RBMN on June 4, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Oh, wait, that was a rabbit.

The War Planner on June 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Didn’t grow up in the early ’50′s did ya?

katy the mean old lady on June 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM

True for the most part, but he used Malia during the “health care” debate (and as to be expected from a congenital liar, he and Michelle couldn’t get their stories straight). Michelle used both of them as props during the campaign (where she complained about the cost of fresh fruit) and recently for her nationalized diet program, revealing personal information about their tipping the scales.

Buy Danish on June 4, 2010 at 8:58 AM

… I can’t help but to wonder exactly what he paid the Clinton’s to get Bill involved in the Sestak cover-up. Had to be huge as compared to using his daughter in a cover-up.

Keemo on June 4, 2010 at 8:23 AM

It’s possible that he agreed to pay off Hil’s 2008 campaign debt or a good chunk of it.

ExpressoBold on June 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

..and a failed hostage rescue attempt.

The War Planner on June 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM

we ARE the hostages in this story…..

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Given the obviously staged re-creation of the “JFK with John-John playing under the desk” photo, I wouldn’t have been so kind, Ed.

crazy_legs on June 4, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I remember the long gas lines in the 70′s and being reduced to every other day rationing. Maybe we could pay her to ask him when he’s going to stop spending money we don’t have.

Kissmygrits on June 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM

This doesn’t seem to bother him much when it comes to the national debt.

pain train on June 4, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Quite honestly I have absolutely no interest in cute kid stories. It’s such an obvious ploy that it reeks of desperation.

I don’t give a damn who walks into the Zero’s bathroom. He needs to resign ASAP. This employment report is a disaster. There is no “V” shaped recovery regardless of what the pump monkeys say.

This is intentional. I didn’t want to believe it, but deep down inside I knew it was true. It isn’t incompetence. It’s by design.

If you don’t have access to charts, check out Denniger’s analysis here: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/

Watch the markets tank. Later today the Plunge Protection Team will probably show up and try to mitigate the damage before the close. Doesn’t matter. We all know what’s going on now.

Cody1991 on June 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

To steal a comment from my local newspaper, Obama must be looking for solutions to the oil spill on the same golf courses that O.J. is looking for Nicole Simpson’s killer.

bopbottle on June 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

bopbottle on June 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

OJ eventually got caught up in the truth just as Obama will. The rest is just delay and hole digging.

ted c on June 4, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Put Obama on a boat in the gulf and hope a crazed, BP-oiled rabbit swims for Obama’s inflatable canoe and he has Carter-paddle-slapping moment….

albill on June 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM

“Did you plug the hole yet, Daddy?”

He failed to mention his response to Malia, which puts the conversation in context and reveals why she only was willing to peek in her head.

“This should answer your question honey, here pull my finger”.

ontherocks on June 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM

bopbottle on June 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I wish I could go golfing as much as he does. I might actually get below 90.

cobrakai99 on June 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM

At $13 trillion, that figure has risen by $2.4 trillion in about 500 days since President Obama took office, or an average of $4.9 billion a day. That’s almost three times the daily average of $1.7 billion under the previous administration, and led Republicans on Wednesday to place blame squarely at the feet of Mr. Obama and his fellow Democrats.

Another gushing leak that Obama hasn’t made any serious attempt to get under control. Can Malia ask him about plugging this hole?

journeyintothewhirlwind on June 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Unbelievable.

He’s bragging about this report. Saying that the temp census jobs are an indication that things are improving.

Cody1991 on June 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM

As he’s speaking the market is tanking again. Currencies are dropping like rocks.

Cody1991 on June 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Poor Obama, no one is accepting his BS anymore. I think this is the one aspect he never thought would happen. At least not on this large a scale. He hates America, but not that many of its citizens do.

BetseyRoss on June 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I hope he gets more outlandish (and comical) with his lies and made-up anecdotes as his numbers plummet.

I really want to see him get laughed at, mercilessly, in front of reporters.

Then I want to see him leaving the White House, forever….

reaganaut on June 4, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Daddy, why did Rep. Sestak turn down the SecNav job you offered him?

GarandFan on June 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

This New Zealand web site if hysterical…if you have a slightly warped sense of humor and can see the absurdity of the ObaMao sense of “concern.”

onlineanalyst on June 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM

cody and Journey: I wish that I knew how to add a link to a PowerPoint that was sent to me last night. With very telling photos, it portrayed the decline of Argentina from a prosperous nation to one of abject misery through the misguided(?) deliberate (?) destruction of the economy through social programs. At first, the “very wealthy” were the brunt of heavy taxation to pay for the expanding social programs; then the bleeding extended to the middle class. Food riots ensued. Money was printed to unbelievably inflationary rates. Nothing was produced except need.

We have our own Perons sitting in the WH and in Congress. They have been bent on killing the goose that lays the golden egg out of phony compassion while their own nests are feathered in luxury.

onlineanalyst on June 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Meanwhile, Obama lip synchs to Paul McCartney singing Michelle. UGH! GET A ROOM!!!

capejasmine on June 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Then, upon returning to the family quarters, Mahlia asked, “so, Daddy, why’d you have to drag MY name into this mess?”

PJ Emeritus on June 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Ed said “huge”!!

Maquis on June 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM

How many chidren are open the bathroom as their father gets ready for yet another job interview and ask them, “Daddy, did you find a job yet?

Franklyn on June 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM

“Did you plug the ho yet, Daddy?”
Somebody wants a baby brother.

mrt721 on June 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM

RBMN on June 4, 2010 at 8:55 AM

That’s a no-brainer. The lady married to the “racist” who correctly called Obama’s Hopenchange fairy tales…fairy tales. The one who sarcastically said that Obama would make the celestial choirs sing. His challenger from 2008, Her Imperial Thighness herself, Madam Secretary of State Hillary Clinton! She’s probably secretly delighted watching Obama crash and burn, saying to herself, “I might only have to wait two years instead of six!”

Move over, McCain, there will be a new maverick!

Steve Z on June 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM

” Daddy aren’t you the chief law enforcement officer of the United States and must you enforce immigration laws whether you like them or not? Daddy is it treason when you fail to uphold your oath to the constitution? Daddy can you plug Blago’s mouth so he won’t tell on you?”

Marco on June 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Move over, McCain, there will be a new maverick!

Steve Z on June 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM

She will carry the stink of failure if she doesn’t bail on the Zero Administration in a hurry…

Maquis on June 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I meant Zero’s failures, not Billy Jeff’s, or her own…

Maquis on June 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM

If you believe, nothing he does is laughable or negative. Obama floats due to the worst kind of ‘faith’.

AnotherOpinion on June 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Of course he plugged the whole; he plugged two of them, in fact. He told Michelle to shut up, for a change, and he stuffed a pacifier into his mouth.

What a relief these two actions would be for the country.

These unrefined pretenders watch Paul McCartney offend a country, and smile…Fools are indignant.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2010 at 5:11 PM

“Daddy, do you know really where the library is”?

Let’s compare, shall we:

Both Carter and Obowma waaaaaaay in over their heads.
Both anti-semitic Jew haters.
Both liberals and incompetent in their position.
Both preached against America’s oil dependency.
Both had oil issues with resulting high gasoline prices.
Both economic disasters via THEIR OWN ECONOMIC POLICIES.
Both pushed environmentalism as their religion.
Both were believed to be fresh Washington outsiders
brought in “to clean up the filth”, when the exact
opposite were true.
Both PERSONALLY responsible for allowing the growth of
radical muslim extremism.
Both ran America into the rocks for their 4 year terms.
Both claim to be Christians, (Ye shall know them by the
fruits).
Both blame America first for the worlds problems.
Both preceeded unprecedented Rebublican majority swings
for the country due to their incompetence.
Both used their daughters for cheap political points to
disastrous effect.
Both tried the liberal, Keynesian economic policies
resulting in the results of failure yet again.
Both were one term disasters as president.

dthorny on June 4, 2010 at 10:37 PM