Great news: Hollywood to make Rush Limbaugh biopic

posted at 10:12 am on June 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Even better news: Deadline says the effort will be similar in tone to Oliver Stone’s W.  The pitch line, according to screenwriter James Sclafani, is Citizen Kane meets Private Parts, except of course for one key point (via Slashfilm):

He’s the country’s top-rated talk radio host, beacon of conservatives, a lightning rod for controversy. Is Rush Limbaugh movie material?

Writer/producer James Sclafani thinks so, and has written a feature film about Limbaugh’s life that is in the process of being packaged and shopped for financing. Sclafani, who recently sold his script Counter Kid to Bill Murray’s Devoted Pictures, optioned The Rush Limbaugh Story: Talent on Loan from God, an unauthorized biography by longtime Gotham-based journalist Paul Colford, who currently heads media relations for the AP. The book served as the basis for the script.

Sclafani said the script he’s written is a close cousin to the Oliver Stone-directed George W. Bush feature W, in that he tries to get beneath the surface politics and controversies and down to the ambition and demons that drove Limbaugh’s success. The film will include contradictions that have gone against his radio diatribes, from the dubious 4-F draft status during Vietnam (unearthed in Colford’s book) to a get-tough stance against drug abusers that was contradicted by the revelation that he himself was addicted to prescription painkillers and got them illegally.

“This is Citizen Kane meets Private Parts, where you have a man who always had trouble relating to people in the outside world, but does it effortlessly in the booth,” said Sclafani, adding that Limbaugh is the proverbial fat kid, ignored in high school, and determined to prove everyone they were wrong about him. “There’s this anecdote about a game of spin the bottle in high school. The bottle pointed at him, and the pretty girl who was supposed to kiss him ran away, and that stayed with him,” Sclafani said. “When he came up in radio, he was culturally opposed to everything happening in the 60s and 70s, and all this left him with something to prove. He is an underdog, and became an extremely determined person with something to prove.”

Howard Stern told his own story in Private Parts, from his own autobiography.  Sclafani used an unauthorized biography for his screenplay.  Citizen Kane was another thinly-veiled unauthorized “biography” written by Orson Welles about William Randolph Hearst, another media titan of his time, as a means of casting Hearst as a bogeyman at about the same time Hearst was going broke.  It’s a brilliant film, perhaps the best American film ever made (my money is on Casablanca), but it’s hardly a model of unbiased truth.

This seems much less incisive.  We’re to assign Rush’s conservatism and his will to succeed to a game of Spin the Bottle?  Well, heck, I played Spin the Bottle in high school too, but the girls didn’t run away from me.  Does that make me a hippie?  It’s hardly a Rosebud moment, although according to the film RKO 281, “rosebud” wasn’t a reference to a sled in Hearst’s life, and is closer to Spin the Bottle than snow-covered hills.

If Sclafani himself wants to compare his script to W, a political hit piece that the Washington Post called “a rushed, wildly uneven, tonally jumbled caricature,” few of Limbaugh’s fans will hurry to correct him.  If he’s using that as a pitch, Sclafani may want to check the box office of Stone’s magnum dopus.  It cost over $25 million to make and only made $25 million in domestic sales, only stayed in theaters a total of six weeks, and made less than $60 million worldwide despite skewering a deeply unpopular Bush.

Addendum: Congratulations are in order for Rush, though, as he gets married tomorrow.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The best American film ever made is The Godfather. Although Citizen Kane is right behind it.

Doughboy on June 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Rush is teflon.

The drive-bys do more damage to themselves trying to destroy him.

Drive bys are strapping on the suicide vest, hoping for the big one, but the device will go off long before they get into the cafe. Death toll: 1.

jeff_from_mpls on June 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Wow… I knew that he was going to do that eventually, but didn’t realize it was happening this weekend. Congrats to Rush and his new bride! :)

As for the Rush movie, I say thanks, but no thanks. I’ll stick with the recently published book.

itzWicks on June 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM

This. will. not. end. well.

di butler on June 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM

There Will Be Blood

blatantblue on June 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I bought a copy of “W” in a dollar bin when my neighborhood Hollywood Video was selling off their store and everything in it.

myrenovations on June 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I only hope it’s as good as “W”

/facepalm

DrAllecon on June 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Well, heck, I played Spin the Bottle in high school too, but the girls didn’t run away from me. Does that make me a hippie?

Get a damn haircut, Ed!

Yet another Hollywood movie I won’t see.

rbj on June 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Who cares?
Between writing about Rush and capping oil wells, Hollywood is just so busy—and so important in our lives.

right2bright on June 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Conservatives aren’t going to watch it. Liberals won’t unless they can get free admission.

We’ve all seen this movie before anyway. It’s been written in weekly columns and left-wing blogs for decades.

Congrats to Rush tomorrow.

NYconservative on June 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I’m sorry, but nobody is going to go see that. Rush has been on the national airwaves three hours a day for more than 20 years, and has been attacked by the national left for just that long. There is nothing new they can possibly come up with.

Oh, and someone didn’t want to kiss him in a game of Spin the Bottle in high school? Wow, that’s really traumatic. Because, you know, nobody in the world was ever rejected before, especially in high school.

DaydreamBeliever on June 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Stone’s magnum dopus

Great line, Ed!

jwolf on June 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Too bad Joseph Goebbels is not around anymore to be the script consultant/story editor. Goebbels proved that whatever lies you think you can get away with on film, just double it, triple it. If it’s on film, with a good sound track, people will believe it.

RBMN on June 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I don’t understand who will want to see this. This can’t make money, they know it can’t, and they are going to make it anyway.

sammypants on June 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Well, it is an election year, we know McCarthy was right about Hollywood.

Speakup on June 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Somehow I never hearda this book.

Akzed on June 4, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Good Luck HW! Maybe Matt Damon can be in it…lol

Brian on June 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Where the hell is Hollywood on the oil spill???….MIA…

If this occurred on the east or west coasts they’d be all over it. But NOOOO…this is the South…..and the people affected have jobs, own businesses and listen to country music.

I want to see that a$$hole Sean Penn in a leaking boat scooping up oil and looking like one of those suffering dying pelicans covered in oil…

PatriotRider on June 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Congratulations are in order for Rush, though, as he gets married tomorrow.

I knew it. As soon as he announced he would away from the golden EIB mic for more then a week, I knew he was getting hiched. He never vacations longer then a week.

Which is why I am listening to the Glen Beck show instead of his temp replacements. Unless it is Mark Styne or Walter Williams.

mechkiller_k on June 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I would have to say that the smallest thing in the universe at the moment would by my interest in such a propaganda hackjob on Rush.

Sorry hollywood..

Chip on June 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Doughboy on June 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Pretty tough to conclusively pick a best ever, both God & Kane are up there, Casa as well. Hell alot of Bogey flicks make the grade, Maltese Falcon, Key Largo, really did Bogey ever make a bad movie? If so, I haven’t seen it.

And just as an aside, the best thing ever on TV.

Shogun

1st yr of HBO’s Rome

Archimedes on June 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

As for the movie, who do you think will be tapped to play Rush?

mechkiller_k on June 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

i play with myself from time to time

a mirror and a bottle is all you need

blatantblue on June 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

There is no best film.
It is way too subjective, you can only have your favorite.

What is the best food?

Of course the answer is chicken fried steak.

TheSitRep on June 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM

demons that drove Limbaugh’s success.

Demons that drove his sucess? Oh, you mean ABCCNNNBCCBS?

Tony737 on June 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM

As for the movie, who do you think will be tapped to play Rush? – Mech Killer

Micheal Moore.

Tony737 on June 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Like Rush frequently says, he lives in their heads, rent free…

ladyingray on June 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

damnit, that came out soooo wrong..

blatantblue on June 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

The Rush Limbaugh Story: Talent on Loan from God

Geez. They couldn’t even come up with a title… they had to steal Rush’s own line? Can he sue them for plagarism?

bitsy on June 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

blatantblue on June 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

TMI !! TMI !!

bitsy on June 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

blatantblue on June 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

You always make me laugh!

ladyingray on June 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM

As for the movie, who do you think will be tapped to play Rush? – Mech Killer

Micheal Moore.

Tony737 on June 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Maybe someone like Paul Gemagnani?

DaydreamBeliever on June 4, 2010 at 10:32 AM

So? Sounds like an American success story to me.

ZenDraken on June 4, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Congrats to Rush & Kathryn, knew this was the moment when he announced he was going to be gone so long.

The rest, just stupid. Does the left really think after all this time and everything he & his audience have been through together that they can lay a hand on him, or anyone that matters will care?

lizzie beth on June 4, 2010 at 10:33 AM

As for the movie, who do you think will be tapped to play Rush?

We know who would be good at playing him, but that’s also who won’t be picked.

My guesses as to their pick? Louie Anderson, Vincent Pastore, or Gabourey Sidibe.

KingGold on June 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM

You know what I haven’t figuered out yet, is why nobody on the left has done one of the Hilter Bunker spoof youtube videos using Rush as the voice over. Now that would be funny!

Johnnyreb on June 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Rush played by Fred Thompson.

jeff_from_mpls on June 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Rush’s main influences were his conservative father and grandfather, both successful lawyers. It’s not a big mystery who influenced him. Along with that name, “Rush,” he got their love of carefully framing an argument. He just didn’t get their tolerance of staying up late reading law books.

RBMN on June 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Rush has the rights to his own life story, and he has the money to defend those rights. A really good attorney should be able to tie this up long enough for the financial backing to dry up.

motionview on June 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

The Godfather is overrated.

First: the past isn’t sepia. How corny.

Two: one minute the son wants nothing to do with the “family business” and the next second he’s in charge. This is never explained. Neither is the line “leave the gun, take the canoli.” What a stupid thing to do.

Coppola is a horrible director.

Citizen Kane or Gone with the Wind all the way. Casablanca is amazing, but lacks the majesty of the first two.

fivefeetoffury on June 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

damnit, that came out soooo wrong..

blatantblue on June 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Well, I laughed…

NYconservative on June 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

sammypants on June 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM

My thoughts exactly. Who is the audience for this? Conservatives won’t attend, and the left is so rabidly irrational in its hatred for Rush they won’t be able to sit through two hours of an overly-exaggerated display of what they have been lead to believe is a fat, washed up drug addicted, over-confident, racist, homophobic, hatemongering, misogynist.

Chewy the Lab on June 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Casablanca is amazing, but lacks the majesty of the first two.

fivefeetoffury on June 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I cry like a baby every time I see it. Watch your step, missy.

jeff_from_mpls on June 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The best movie ever made was “Dude, Where’s my Car”

jeffn21 on June 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Yes, but what a great metaphor for what goes on in Hollywood every day.

Dee2008 on June 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Big difference between “W” and this planned movie:

In “W”, the subject of the movie, as president of the US, could not fire back, that would go against decorum of the office.

Rush Limbaugh has no such constraints, and he has 15 hours a week to fight back. He will tear them to shreds, just as he did Harry Reid when Reid sent a letter to Rush’s radio syndicators demanding Rush be stifled over the “phony soldier” comments. That backfired big time on Reid, and it will on these clowns, too.

iurockhead on June 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Who the hell is Rush marrying? I haven’t been tuning in lately so I’m behind on all of this.

Bishop on June 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I will bet 1 US dollar – his ratings would go up even higher…

And the movie would lose a few million.

Liberal math.

Odie1941 on June 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I only hope it’s as good as “W”
DrAllecon on June 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Who cares what we think? THEY hope this movie will be as successful as “W.”

Think about what that means. That’s not their ‘Heaven forbid’ fallback position; that’s their GOAL. It’s their aspiration. It is what they cross their fingers and HOPE they might possibly achieve.

The only reason “W” only lost as much money as it did was because Bush was President, and some people were duped into thinking this movie actually had some sort of real information in it.

Limbaugh is on the radio 21 hours a week. There is no “behind the scenes” to that job; what you hear is what you get. Anybody who’s interested in the guy can learn everything they want to know about him for free.

As for the people who are not interested — seriously, can there really be a huge market there?

logis on June 4, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Dee2008 on June 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Oops! I was referring to Blatantblue’s playing spin the bottle with himself and a mirror.

Gawd…I’ve got to get off the computer.

Dee2008 on June 4, 2010 at 10:40 AM

As for the movie, who do you think will be tapped to play Rush?
We know who would be good at playing him, but that’s also who won’t be picked.

KingGold on June 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Kevin James. That way, the left will be confused about whether the subject of the movie is Rush, or Elena Kagen.

iurockhead on June 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I think I might lack understanding of the legality of an unauthorized biographical film being made of someone. Its been done before though, so obviously it has some legal grounds, but it seems … eh, bad.

Heralder on June 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM

“Congratulations are in order for Rush, though, as he gets married tomorrow.”

Jeez, again? He’s on a pace to pass Larry King pretty soon.

notropis on June 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM

What could go wrong right?

Good Lt on June 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM

The best movie ever made was “Dude, Where’s my Car”

jeffn21 on June 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Nope. “The Hangover”.

ladyingray on June 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM

If it projects Rush in a bad light, it will tank. Guaran-damn-teed.

MadisonConservative on June 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM

OOPS! Sorry Jeff. I meant to quote you, not strike you! :D

ladyingray on June 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Why go see some hatchet flick when we get the real Rush for free 15 hours a week?

JammieWearingFool on June 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Bishop on June 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Her name is Kathryn. They’ve been together for a couple of years. She’s very pretty.

I think they met because she was involved in organizing celebrity golf events. Something like that.

Cody1991 on June 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM

The Hollywood-DC Axis of Circlejerkdom occasionally gets something right by accident.

They won’t get this right.

Akzed on June 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM

…to a get-tough stance against drug abusers that was contradicted by the revelation that he himself was addicted to prescription painkillers and got them illegally.

I am sick to death of leftist idiots who cannot see the clear distinction here. Listen carefully. I’ll try to use small words.

At least he was man enough to admit to his entire audience (and the world) that he had a problem, couldn’t beat it on his own, and was getting it taken care of.

I see absolutely no hypocrisy in this. Not because I like the man and don’t want anyone to say mean things about him; but because I see it logically. If you can’t, that doesn’t make me an idiot. If he was addicted to coke or heroin, I’d be the first one calling him a hypocrite.

Sorry, libs. I just couldn’t make this fit on a bumper sticker. You’ll just have to try your best to understand.

CurtZHP on June 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Am I supposed to have any idea who this hack wannabe is? I googled this guy, and only got Rush Limbaugh hits.

Sure this isn’t just some random 0bama voter, living in Mommy’s basement, e-mailing a press release out, to see if any J-School types print it as news?

MNHawk on June 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Oh please! Everyone knows The Evil Dead was the best movie ever made.

Congrats to Rush and Katie- hope it’s a joyful day. I love weddings.

Monica on June 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Oh please! Everyone knows The Evil Dead was the best movie ever made.

Monica on June 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Only if you mean Evil Dead 2!

Heralder on June 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM

You can shoot him, stab him, taze him, but nothing will ever faze him. Rush will always be:

The Last Man Standing.

Hear that, Precedent Promptee?

Happy Wedding Day, Rush! We love you!!!

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Bishop on June 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

RBMN on June 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Only if you mean Evil Dead 2!

Heralder on June 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Devil’s Rejects. Rob Zombie.

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I hope they cast James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman to portrait Rush Limbaugh.

Awesome.

portlandon on June 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Cody1991 on June 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM

She better be good to him.

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Not for nothing, but Private Parts is a really good movie. I’m not a Stern fan, and I usually hate movies where people play themselves, but this movie totally sucked me in. It’s one of the sweetest, funniest movies I’ve ever seen.

Now, would I mention it in the same sentence with Citizen Kane? Uh, no.

Jaynie59 on June 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Devil’s Rejects. Rob Zombie.

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I don’t recall anyone cutting off their own possessed hand and affixing a chainsaw to the stump in that movie so, no!

But more on topic, congratulations to Rush on the wedding!

Heralder on June 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Hope they don’t spend more than $100 to make the movie, cuz that will be the extent of revenues they bring in at the ticket office.

fogw on June 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I can see why investors would be eager to fund a movie like this. Pitching an Oliver Stone-style biopic is like proposing a Deepwater Horizon-style drilling project.

They won’t even be able to shove it into theaters fast enough to pick up the near-suicidal lefty crowd looking to vent their rage and frustration after the November elections. Or maybe they *can*… if the whole movie is just a blank screen, the way Michael Moore blanked out 9/11 in his idiotic movie. The exact same people would buy tickets for it, and they’d save a ton of money on production costs. Roger Ebert would hail it as a brilliant deconstructionist critique of the mindlessness of Limbaugh’s audience.

It would be simpler, and possibly more productive, to throw bales of money into the Gulf and hope they soak up the oil.

Doctor Zero on June 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Best movie ever?

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

TexasDan on June 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM

He’s getting married again?

thekingtut on June 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Why pay $10 to watch some fake Rush for two hours when you can get the real thing about every day for three hours without paying a dime?

Dusty on June 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM

The best movie ever made: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad World!

No movie ever made me laugh more.

technopeasant on June 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM

She better be good to him.

Key West Reader on June 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Yeah, I wish them much happiness. He has seemed to be very happy since they got together.

Cody1991 on June 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM

LOL. Rush is bigger than this proposed Hollywood movie, so he can afford to simply ignore the movie. What’s more, it will be fun to watch the libs paint their own mental pictures of Rush. For example:

Oh please. Anyone who has listened to Rush for a while knows he doesn’t go off on rants against drug abusers. That’s a stereotype that exists only in the minds of libs who don’t listen. If the Hollywood movie amounts to stereotypes about Rush, it’s target audience will be the tiny percent of the population that wants to pay $10 to watch Rush being smeared. It will be as successful as all those anti-Iraq war movies no one can remember.

pearson on June 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM

He’s getting married again?

thekingtut on June 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Love Rush, but he’s not very good at this. I hope 4th time is the charm.

rollthedice on June 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Yea, because these movies are soooo successful at the box office. I like Rush, I wouldn’t sit through a 2 hour movie about him.

scalleywag on June 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Doughboy on June 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Citizen Kane = brilliant.

The Godfather = overrated.

Best American film ever made = Apocalypse Now.

You know who would tell you Apocalypse Now was better than The Godfather?

Francis Ford Coppola would tell you Apocalypse Now is his best film.

JohnGalt23 on June 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Meh, maybe the Dems in Congress can have a special screening like the one they had for Moore’s fantasy about 9/11. It could be part of a triple feature if Gore’s “An Inconvenient Boob…er, Truth” were on the bill, as well.

Best wishes, Rush.

onlineanalyst on June 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I have had this crazy attack of “woman’s intuition” lately and I think Rush and his bride will have children. How long is he going to be gone from his show? It’s been proven time and time again, movies cannot succeed by liberals alone, this one will be a tax write off.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Citizen Kane = brilliantvery overrated.

The Godfather = overrated.

BestOne of the greatest American films ever made = Apocalypse Now.

JohnGalt23 on June 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Forrest Gump = Best American film ever made.

MadisonConservative on June 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM

John Voight or even Breitbart should do a semi-authorized pic on Rush from a conservative (and honest) angle; warts and sucess.

The box office difference between the two movies would be VERY demonstrative.

and DON’T DO IT RUSH!!

but if you do, I hope you got a good pre-nup.

barnone on June 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Congratulations are in order for Rush, though, as he gets married tomorrow.

Again??? What is this…#4? LOL I think he is purposely competing with Larry King in the marriage department.

ihasurnominashun on June 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I’m sure it will be as true to reality as “Che”.

rihar on June 4, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Rush is out until June 15th. I guess it’ll be Laura Ingraham for me until then. The only guest host I will listen to is Mark Steyn.

Babino on June 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM

“Ishtar” FTW. It is the best movie, evah……*HACK Cough Hack* Sorry, couldn’t keep that line of crap going. lol

Should this movie ever get made, they at least had best make Snerdley look good, I understand he has a bit of a temper when dealing with idiots.

TQM38a on June 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I’m sure it will be as true to reality as “Che”.

rihar on June 4, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Did they really do a Che Guevara biopic?

I thought that was just a running gag on the right-wing blogs.

JohnGalt23 on June 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Think about all the mind numbed robots tottering towards the cinema on opening night muttering “dittos”…”dittooos”

Inanemergencydial on June 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Babino on June 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Mr. Steyn is the best but Dr. Williams is awesome also.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I thought he and Kathryn may have gotten married when they went to Hawaii, and her parents were also there, but alas no. Now we are hearing that they are going to get married, and our family wishes them much happiness and God’s blessings.

Uhm if this is suppose to be like “W”, we had free Showtime for about 3 months via DirectTv, and I was channel surfing one night and ran across this thing. EW! The 2 minutes I saw was stinky acting, and so obviously only done as a hatchet job on the Bush family that I changed the channel and watched a rerun of “The Nanny”. So I am thinking not only will Conservatives not go to see this attempt to slime Rush, but the general public will pan it just based on the whole likening it to “W”. Stupid pre-marketing ploy. Libtards. Word.

freeus on June 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM

“There is a Grand Canyon sized difference between someone who regularly uses and traffics in illegal controlled substances for entirely recreational and/or monetary purposes and someone who, through no fault of their own, becomes dependent upon legal painkillers. I will grant that he may have skirted the law regarding how he obtained them, but in the throes of addiction one’s poor judgment can understandably get the better of them.

CurtZHP on June 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM”

Try and explain this to a dim! I absolutely agree. Do you notice they criticize Rush about it, but they don’t say anything about their “coke head president”. One wonders if he is still on it and can’t release his health report from the dr because of it.
Congrats to Rush – I hope he is happy and wish him all the best.

Bambi on June 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM

The best movie ever made: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad World!

No movie ever made me laugh more.

technopeasant on June 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM

That’s one of those movies like Something About Mary. It’s absolutely hilarious the first time you watch it. The second time, you have no idea why you found it so funny.

John Deaux on June 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM

MadisonConservative on June 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I’ll give forrest Gump props for at least one reason; it did something that Apocalypse Now (and Godfather, btw) did, that is really tough to do. It added a phrase to the American lexicon.

Forrest Gump = “Stupid is as stupid does”.

Apocalypse Now
= “Terminate with extreme prejudice”.

Godfather = “We’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse”.

Even without having seen those movies, just about everyone in America knows those phrases, and knows exactly what they mean.

That’s what I call making a mark on a culture.

JohnGalt23 on June 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM

As for the movie, who do you think will be tapped to play Rush?

My guess would be that Hollywood hires Michael Chiklis from
The Shield and The Fantastic Four. Since he did such a bang up job of portraying John Belushi in Wired.

If Hollywood wants to waste money, time and energy to stroke a lefty director’s and lacky actors’ egos. That’s their business. Even if it won’t make a cent in the box office.

Jack.

Jack Deth on June 4, 2010 at 11:17 AM

To all those calling the Godfather overrated, all I can say is, “You broke my heart.”

Now, let’s go fishing.

paulzummo on June 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM

As for this future stinkeroo, he’s actually pitching it by comparing it to W? Were Ishtar and Waterworld just too far beyond his reach?

paulzummo on June 4, 2010 at 11:20 AM