Newest attack on Nikki Haley: She’s only pretending to be a Christian; Update: State senator calls Haley a “raghead”

posted at 7:39 pm on June 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

I think this is going to be my last post about this race, guys. Every time I write one, no matter how hard I scrub afterwards, I can’t get the filth off my hands.

This latest bit started with David Brody of CBN, wondering why Haley’s campaign website in 2004 emphasized her Sikh faith and why her current one emphasizes her Christian faith. Just a case of a reporter doing a little digging on his own initiative? Not quite. Ben Smith:

[I]n the nasty game of South Carolina politics, in which Haley has already been accused twice publicly of infidelity, the religion story has a clear political charge. Brody told me in an email that his story was prompted by “a tip from an anonymous source,” and Tim Pearson, Haley’s spokesman, said the story was “being shopped” and that Brody wasn’t the only reporter to call him about it.

A source close to the campaign of one rival — Rep. Gresham Barrett, who touts his Christian faith in his ads — said the Barrett campaign has at least discussed playing the religion card. The source said his aides sometimes refer to her by the Indian name with which she was born, “Nimrata,” in the campaign office.

“They always thought that the relgion thing would be what would save Gresham in the end against Nikki,” said the source, an outside adviser to Barrett who said he was speaking to a reporter because he disliked the notion of attacking Haley on her faith.

Barrett’s camp adamantly denies that they’re responsible. Now that we’ve covered ye olde infidelity and “foreigner” smears, I figure we’re two days away from the obligatory lesbian accusation and then, on primary eve, maybe an “anonymous tip” that she killed a bunch of kids back in the 80s or something. But the biggest bombshell of all is being saved for the general election. Could Nikki Haley be … a closet atheist? Hopefully Will Folks’s book shall reveal all, my friends.

Two clips for you. One is from last night’s debate of Haley reducing Andre Bauer to speechlessness by wondering why he didn’t fire the consultant who’s now claiming an affair with her sooner. The other is of the consultant himself, who isn’t what I pictured when I heard that some guy was alleging a one-night stand with Nikki Haley. From one beta male to another, buddy: Nuh uh.

Update: The good news, I guess, is that there’s not much further to go until rock bottom.

South Carolina Republicans were quick Thursday evening to condemn the remarks of a prominent Republican State Senator, Jake Knotts, who referred to a gubernatorial candidate as a “raghead” on an online political show today.

Knotts, a foe of Governor Mark Sanford and his protege, State Rep. Nikki Haley, made the remark of Haley on the local webcast PubPolitics.

Haley’s campaign and the state GOP both condemned him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m sick to my stomach at all the lies being said by the opponents of Nikki Haley and their surrogates. If it wasn’t for this, then Nikki probably never would have gotten enough traction to even be attacked. I’m proud that she seems to be able to take these attacks, but that doesn’t change how despicable they are.

dnlchisholm on June 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM

So my supposed “stereotype” about that region was correct then?

Narutoboy on June 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I guess so. Jake speaks like many here and apparently wasn’t thinking the national media would pick it up. I’ll be watching the reader opinions in our newspaper for the next few weeks. Usually the only ones who complain about these things are a rare minority of liberals.

fastestslug on June 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Jake speaks like many here
fastestslug on June 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Who in the cornbread hell is Jake?!

Jenfidel on June 4, 2010 at 12:53 PM

It may take a few years, but don’t be surprised to see “Mama Grizzlies” controlling the GOP.

bw222 on June 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM

It’s happening already. As a conservative male I’m not all sad to see the strong GOP females, but damn ashamed that there aren’t more males out there covering their six. Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman should have the undying gratitude of GOP men for saying unpopular things that GOP men were too “diplomatic” or too afraid to say. They are leading the way.

hawkdriver on June 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM

South Carolina is sick when it comes to politics. The fact that they sent Senator Graham back to DC was enough for me to realize that.

The best way to cleanse yourselves is to vote for Nikki because if you don’t then good luck with the new depths of low your state’s politics goes.

BTW–Where is Sarah Palin? Why isn’t she doing for Nikki what she’s doing for herself with that dang fence? Hey Sarah, stop with the drive-by endorsements. Put your money where your mouth is.

Sultry Beauty on June 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Sultry Beauty on June 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I see your point, but don’t altogether agree with it. Ms Haley needs to show strength at this point, and that’s just what she’s doing. If Gov. Palin or other pols swoop in and ride to the rescue, that creates a presumption that Ms Haley is a “damsel in distress” who needs to be rescued.

Bombers, not helicopters, for this operation. :-)

Mary in LA on June 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Sultry Beauty on June 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

In addition to the endorsement, she just recorded, within the last 24 hours, a robo-call on Haley’s behalf:

thirteen28 on June 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Narutoboy on June 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM

No, FYI I wasn’t hoping you’d be awed by my cleverness.

You know where you can put that shoe of yours, bigot.

Dasher on June 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Kate Beckett . . . Mmmmmmm.

Ryan Anthony on June 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Bauer is asking Nikki Haley to take a polygraph.
And we didn’t think these folks could sink any lower.
If SC votes for Bauer, they deserve every thing that’s gonna come their way.

lonestar1 on June 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Bauer is asking Nikki Haley to take a polygraph.

lonestar1 on June 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Oh, hells, NO! Polygraphs “lie” all the time.

A man I know well who used to work where I do now failed a polygraph when he was telling God’s own truth, because what a polygraph actually measures is the electrical resistance in your skin. It’s a proxy for the amount of stress you’re under, and lying is supposed to be more stressful than telling the truth — but just the experience of being polygraphed (which is tantamount to being accused of lying) freaked him out and caused a false positive.

Conversely, a pathological liar might sail right through a polygraph test telling the most outrageous whoppers, since it wouldn’t stress him out to lie.

No, no, a kilo-no!

Mary in LA on June 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Here’s a pretty good summary of the accuracy of lie-detector tests:

Mary in LA on June 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM

What do you expect from politicians who adopt a state flag that is green and white supporting a palm tree and crescent moon? Go figure.

Claimsratt on June 5, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I think I have spent too much time in the Middle East. I know a palmetto and the half moon … but still ….

Claimsratt on June 5, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Jake Knotts should be thrown out of the party.

motionview on June 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM