The sadly obligatory “Al and Tipper Gore separate after 40 years” post

posted at 7:05 pm on June 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

I couldn’t decide if it’s postworthy or not — on the one hand, it’s nobody’s business, on the other, it’s all over the news — but I liked Jim Geraghty’s post enough to want to showcase it in a thread. Some people are making the easy jokes (“Perhaps the love faded away through the years, like a slowly melting glacier”); others, like Ace, are finding semi-serious political angles; and pretty much everyone, especially on Twitter, is wondering how Bill and Hillary have lasted when Al and Tipper couldn’t. But my reaction is the same as Geraghty’s: What a shame to see a couple split that’s gone through so much together.

I find myself strangely bummed about the news of the impending separation of Al and Tipper Gore. Oh, I’ve chuckled at the man’s ability to embody the walking antidote to charisma and sworn at his unprecedented and divisive refusal to accept defeat during the 2000 recount, but nobody deserves the pain that comes with the ordeal of the end of a marriage, even under reasonably amiable circumstances. And it’s a bit surprising to watch a couple split after they’ve experienced everything the Gores have – raising children, a rise to prominence in the Senate, the national spotlight during the 1992 campaign, eight years a heartbeat away from the presidency, the bitter defeat of the 2000 campaign, the cavalcade of awards for a documentary – Oscar, Nobel – and then… with their lives actually rather quiet, then they find they can’t live with each other anymore? They could handle everything except circumstances that almost resembled normal life?

Follow the link for his conclusion. Late-in-life divorces are especially depressing to me because none of the easy explanations work. You can’t say “they weren’t right for each other” or “they got married too young” or “they rushed into it,” all of which one might have an inkling about before saying “I do.” It sounds like they simply … grew apart, something to which we’re all susceptible despite our best efforts. It’s the marriage equivalent of a terminal illness that you don’t know you have until it’s too late. I’m truly sorry for them. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst political enemy.

Update (Ed): Ditto for me.  I do some volunteer work for an organization dedicated to strengthening marriages, and it’s very sad to see a 40-year marriage come to an end.  I have tremendous political differences with former VP Gore, but as Allahpundit says, I wouldn’t wish this on my worst political enemy — and especially not their family.  They’ll be in my prayers tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lone ManBearPig

Cicero43 on June 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

It’s sad. Forty years is a long time to invest in a relationship.

Slublog on June 1, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Anybody remember that awkward to watch lip plant they tried to pull off during his run for prez? That said it all.

bernzright777 on June 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Its truly a sad story to hear.

I have no jokes to say about their marrage. I wish them both the best.

William Amos on June 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

After 40 years, wow.

Shiny_Tiara on June 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Too bad. I’ll never forget the dem convention in 2000 when he tried to eat her face

ConservativePartyNow on June 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Tipper couldn’t get Al’s ‘ocean’ to rise any more- no one can compete with that ego.

Monica on June 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I’m truly sorry for them. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst political enemy.

agree with you there allah…

cmsinaz on June 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Sniffle.

Limerick on June 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

We really need AnninCa’s guidance on this one.

Cicero43 on June 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I guess true Love Stories do have endings, and apparently they end in Montecito.

elcapt on June 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Divorce isn’t always sad. I quite enjoyed mine.

di butler on June 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I wonder if Obama will send Bill Clinton in as his go to fixer ?

William Amos on June 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I question the timing.

mesquito on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Al Gore claimed his hockey stick graph when in the wrong direction when he was around Tipper.

Mr. Joe on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Damn Ed and Allah……….Now I can`t be snarky. I`d hate myself if I did.

ThePrez on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Good post, Allahpundit.

terryannonline on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I still wanna know — who gets the internets?

Ian on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I remember in the ’90′s as her being the most level headed person associate with the clinton admin

ConservativePartyNow on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Al Gore is all about Global Warming, except when it pertains to Tipper. The Tipper conditions are downright frigid.

Mr. Joe on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

40 years? Who gets divorced after 40 years?

It probably took Tipper 25 years to get past his creepy voice, and than to give up now?

portlandon on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I’m truly sorry for them. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst political enemy.

Very classy, AP.

Now, imagine for a moment HuffPo or Kos if Sarah & Todd split.

Yup.

Bruno Strozek on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Uh hoh please.
You know he got some Amnesty International undergrad warming his globe.
He is a god to those unshaven tattooed activist types and they would look upon it like an honor or something.

NeoKong on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

It was clearly inevitable. Al has been in love with another woman for a long time – Gaia. Tipper just couldn’t compete with her.

Wethal on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

yours’ was the compassionate side of things. I guess I detest algore so much that I saw only the “funny” side of splitting the sheets.

Any marriage’s demise should be recognized with sorrow. You are right, I am wrong.

katablog.com on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Elizabeth Edwards was unavailable for comment. Neither was Amanda Marcotte.

Seriously, y’all have “sympathy” for these loons? Man up!! Good lord.

SouthernGent on June 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

The obligatory “they simply grew apart” excuse…..the most pathetic excuse out there for a divorce.

hooligan on June 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I’ve felt sorry for Tipper for years. I think she’s a decent person who didn’t marry well.

funky chicken on June 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Tipper must have said “watt’s up with that?” one too many times.

pedestrian on June 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I question the timing.

mesquito on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Maybe the stress of his global warming scam collapsing got the best of him.

Monica on June 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I remember in the ’90’s as her being the most level headed person associate with the clinton admin

ConservativePartyNow on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

yep

funky chicken on June 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

The Earth has begun to heal itself

WoosterOh on June 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I question the timing.

mesquito on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Maybe the stress of his global warming scam collapsing got the best of him.

Monica on June 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Monica on June 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

It is very sad — the breakdown of a marriage affects more than the individuals involved.

I pray that they can reconcile.

Richard Romano on June 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

O Schadenfreude! O Schadenfreude!
How lovely is this feeling.
O Schadenfreude! O Schadenfreude!
Their marriage won’t be healing.
It lasted through the happy years,
And then that time he had a beard.
O Schadenfreude! O! Schadenfreude!
How lovely is this feeling!

Knott Buyinit on June 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Tipper must have said “watt’s up with that?” one too many times.

pedestrian on June 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Ding ding ding
:P

macncheez on June 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

You have to respect Tipper for being able to put up with this loon for over 40 years. It will be interesting if things come out in the divorce. Tipper almost certainly knows what a lot of us would like to know (and a bunch of stuff we wouldn’t; eeeeew!)

Buford Gooch on June 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Sigh, now I need to watch a good love story. Whatever their reasons for divorce, I wish them well.

EarthToZoey on June 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Just looking for a way to reduce the carbon footprint that all that extra baggage of marraige can create. I’m sure a few more CFLs in the mansion coulda held this together.

Scrappy on June 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Maybe Tipper just got tired of his upbeat, positive attitude, and couldn’t handle all the joy…?

Seven Percent Solution on June 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM

“bummer” do you really care? I mean really? or is that just something you say to sound empathetic? because I sure don’t care…

Kaptain Amerika on June 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Schadenfreude abounds here; I don’t find this depressing at all.

Like Allah says, their personal lives are nobody’s business. But these two clowns have made lifelong careers out of making other people’s lives and choices their business.

saint kansas on June 1, 2010 at 7:22 PM

No one questions Gore’s intentions as they are abundantly clear. What they do question is his sanity. Not carrying his home state of Tennessee kept him from the presidency. If he had carried Tennessee, then Florida would’ve been irrelevant. Gore’s psyche has never been the same. Tipper is a class act and how she put up with his lunacy all of these years is amazing.

volsense on June 1, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Why feel sorry for them, it could be they are both relishing the idea. Perhaps they kept a sham marriage alive for years or decades because of the political benefit, you never know, and if it makes them better and happier people then good for them.

I’m a divorcee and I can tell you that splitting from the ex was a huge and important step in my life, and it had the benefit of informing me what I should and shouldn’t be looking for in a woman after many previous mistakes.

Bishop on June 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM

His selfless obsession with the hunt for Manbearpig finally drove her away! If only South Park weren’t on hiatus…

Blacklake on June 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

You should have gone with your first take and not bothered to publish. I’m not able to summon the least bit of concern for them. If you’re not happy about it I can guess at someone who is. That would be Fergie who can watch the gossip headlines feature some other “balloon boy of the week.”

MJBrutus on June 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Hello: Yes Tipper….I..I..have to….ya…I am..saving..
the World from itself…Tipper….its…my…destin..
no…I…I…am..not bitter that I lost…..now…..
see..thats why….no…thats what I..am..talking abou
t,no Tipper….I Was ….robbed…of the Presidentcy.

what….Monks and a paper bag full of cash…and…
calling for donations from the White House….tip..

Tipper…….now you know there was no legal control
ling authority….. what…and either does our marr
iage….fine…be like that….what…..when Global
Warming Hell freezes over ….will get back together
huh….. ……..(snark)

canopfor on June 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Hmmm, I guess no more global warming for the Gores. I wonder how long the relationship was cooling.

docdave on June 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

And CNN. I was in a waiting room today and heard Rick Sanchez wonder aloud to another reporter how the Clintons outlasted the Gores. ‘Twas an awkward moment on the set to say the least. Well to everyone but Sanchez who had a big cheesy grin.

conservative pilgrim on June 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I was going to comment about the tragedy of it all, when I saw this comment,

Lone ManBearPig
Cicero43 on June 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

and literally burst out laughing.

Seriously though, I’m glad Tipper’s free. I can’t imagine what it must have been like living with the world’s biggest snake oil salesman for 40 years. God bless her.

PoodleSkirt on June 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Yeah, I am so torn up that a crook had his life go to s88t.

Limerick on June 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Tipper’s hot flashes were found to be responsible for Global Warming???

(Lord please forgive me!)

2nd Ammendment Mother on June 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Forty years is such a long time to be together. I am so sad for them. The reports say they “grew apart,” which happens. You have to fight against it, especially with their lifestyle and commitments.

I feel for their children and grandkids. This has to really mess with their worlds.

conservative pilgrim on June 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Probably stayed together as long as they did for political reasons. Remember “Camelot?”Everyone thought Jack and Jackie were so much in love. Turns out not so much. Power and Politics.

sandee on June 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I care about marriage the institution and how it really is a sad demise, no matter who is involved.

katablog.com on June 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Gulf oil spill claims another victim

William Amos on June 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Is it possible to strike a chord between snarky and sad?

Take a look at the young smiling Al from the mid 1980s:

I remember Al as the reasonable, wonky, slim, young southern moderate (at least that was the package).

He became a bloated, sanctimonious, moralizing, hypocrite. If I became someone totally different than what my wife married, I am not sure that I would ask my wife to join me on that journey.

I suspect that Tipper will reappear at some point in our near future, probably touting some book that someone else ghost-wrote under her name. In the process of promoting said book, she will emote to Katie, Dianah or Oprah in the classic baby boomer ritual.

While I guess I am sad about any divorce, I am not looking to hold any telethons for the Gores. One of them will console themselves as they sip an amusing Cabernet while watching the son set from their new Montecito manse.

johnboy on June 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Who gets the energy monster mansion and the gas guzzler houseboat?

Aviator on June 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Yeah, lots of times it’s sad when people divorce. (My 1995 divorce wasn’t sad for me at all.) I don’t know anything about Tipper or what she does or doesn’t believe.

But, how could anyone remain with someone as delusional, and it must be said – dishonest, as Algore is? And with his little AGW house of cards collapsing all around them, he can’t be easy to live with these days.

Take the money and run, Tipper? If you know in your heart that it’s been dishonestly acquired by the ManBearPig, donate it to charity, right now. All of it.

Fishoutofwater on June 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

What a shame to see a couple split that’s gone through so much together.

Agreed. Divorce is something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

Seriously, y’all have “sympathy” for these loons? Man up!! Good lord.

SouthernGent on June 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

It’s because the Lord is good that I have sympathy for them. Real manliness is being able to love those who disagree.

itsnotaboutme on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Sorry, meant “sun” set. Spelling is hard.

johnboy on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I think it is sad when (most) marriages end. It’s always hard on the kids, even if the kids are fully grown.

But politicians use their marriages too much for me to get too invested in them. He foisted that uncomfortable kiss on all of us for political reasons, not out of immense love for his wife.

So I don’t feel bad about commenting on this, and I don’t know enough about the reality of them to get truly emotional about it.

MayBee on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I really don’t find this very disturbing. Why should Mrs Gore have to put up with him anymore if she doesn’t want to?
Maybe there’ll be an available house next door for Mr. McGinness? He can leave the Palins alone and stalk someone who’s available

clnurnberg on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

know why divorce is so expensive?

because it’s worth it!

cry me a river you two hotairians. all i can say is these two creeps deserved each other.

DrW on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I never like to see any couple split. When they do it after 40 years???? What’s the point?

Ohh, ohhh, Mista Kotta, pick me!

I’ll tell you the point: they looked at each other and said, “Damn! We bet it on the political chit, but we didn’t nab the White House, nor are we gonna in the future. The Cap’n Trade (Oh I sure wish I could draw! Can anyone out there draw Cap’n Trade????)schtick is going down like a lead balloon (but it’s o.k. girlfriend, you’ll get ur half of the gazillions we’ve made).

“We’ve only got so many years left on this Earth, so why don’t we just call it quits now, since we’ve only stayed together for political expediency?” (“B’sides [says Al], I really wanna sc*&w a hot whale watchin’ chick!”]

I’m probably living in an alternate universe, but if you’ve hung together 40 flippin’ years, the only reason to separate, is cuz’ somebody REALLY, REALLY wants to sc*&$w somebody else.
(I’ve been married 25 years).

Chewy the Lab on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

If Al were a known wife-beater the tune would be different, it would be “Oh how grand for Tipper that she can finally be free of that monster and have her life back. Awesome for her.”

Bishop on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Disagree?

Quote of the day.

Limerick on June 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM

We can never see into another marriage, but this does seem to be one that had politics at its center. Without that, perhaps they had no reason to be together.

MochaLite on June 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM

ConservativePartyNow on June 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

That’s why he deserves no sympathy — for him, the marriage was A Convenient Prop. And she deserves no sympathy either — she supported his megalomaniacal charlatanism publicly.

Splashman on June 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM

MochaLite on June 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Bingo!

Splashman on June 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I hope she gets her hands on real assets and none of that carbon credit rubbish.

rob verdi on June 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM

On the serious side,yes it truly is a shame that after 40 years of marriage,and all they have gone through,that is
a long time together!!

I’ve got about 35 in and still going!

canopfor on June 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Chewy the Lab on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I wish this were the only reason. Often mental illness is to blame, too, and it just gets worse with age.

John the Libertarian on June 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM

What will be the title of Tipper’s tell all book?

Maybe she’ll make a movie, too.

SlaveDog on June 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I agree that it’s sad, and my first reaction was “Why? Why now?” But that must surely be the real reason: Gore’s been off on his own, chasing vainglorious Me-ness for most of their marriage. He’s finally home — in her house — and she probably figured out what she always suspected: she just doesn’t like the guy, and he doesn’t even know who she is.

Sad.

Jaibones on June 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I think ya2daup deserves comment of the day for this one from the headlines thread:

Somewhere in the Arctic, an expectant polar bear weeps silently beside a public phone while awaiting Al’s call.

cool breeze on June 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM

hooligan on June 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Agreed. It’s a smokescreen.

Splashman on June 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

A little too much of a kumbaya fest in this thread.

This man is behind the biggest crime spree in world history and we’re worried about his marriage?

Perhaps Tipper didn’t want to be an accomplice anymore. Now she can testify against the maggot.

selias on June 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

For Tipper, I wish nothing but happiness down the road, a true lady who deserves the best.

For Al, I wish that he finds true warming . . . in the deepest depths of Hell.

TXUS on June 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Its truly a sad story to hear.

I have no jokes to say about their marrage. I wish them both the best.

William Amos on June 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I agree. Its just sad after all they’ve been through together. Nothing solid came from it? Not a good thing for the rest of us really. SHows what the country has evolved to when a man and woman can’t build a bond after 40 years.

johnnyU on June 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM

What will be the title of Tipper’s tell all book?

SlaveDog on June 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM

“An Inconvenient Truth”

cool breeze on June 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Right, Jaibones! It also made me chuckle. The old saying is: “I married him for better or worse, but not for lunch!”

MochaLite on June 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Seriously, y’all have “sympathy” for these loons? Man up!! Good lord.

SouthernGent on June 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

No kidding. Excuse me while I’ll roll my eyes and gag.

Socmodfiscon on June 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM

A little too much of a kumbaya fest in this thread.

selias on June 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

The first few commenters are usually reluctant to disagree with the author. Read further down the page.

My $.02: Gore whore no more.

Splashman on June 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Divorce is hell. I’ve heard anecdotal stories of couples enjoying amiable and amicable divorces but it is hard to know how such a thing can be.

No fan of Al Gore, that grandiose, robotic buffoon, but I’ve always liked Tipper. In some alternate universe–thankfully not ours–she was a much beloved First Lady.

troyriser_gopftw on June 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Here’s to the soon to be written tell-all in which she rats him out for the fraud/scam he foisted on the world.

RalphyBoy on June 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I will probably go to hell for this, but I just finished photoshopping my face where Tipper’s was in this photo and sending to all by lib friends telling them I was the cause of the breakup. Too much time on my hands!

bopbottle on June 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM

selias on June 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Perhaps they wanted to shield some assets. Just in case.

Socmodfiscon on June 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Tipping point. He was half right. There was a tipping point and it wasn’t temperatures.

Michelle Malkin says the snake oil will be easy to split. He get the huge plane and she keeps the carbon offset credits? He will be grounded.

This will double their carbon footprint.

seven on June 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

What will be the title of Tipper’s tell all book?

Maybe she’ll make a movie, too.

SlaveDog on June 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM

SlaveDog: The Erotic Tales of Gorical!!:)

canopfor on June 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Why am I supposed to feel sympathy for Tipper? Didn’t she ever turn down thermostat at the ‘shack’. Ride in the Suburbans and Jet Streams? Put on the pumps and pat on the back the con man who was defrauding the planet? She is a victim? Yeah…sure…whatever.

Limerick on June 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Millions of people get divorced in America.. and we care why?

The difference is – millions of divorced people arent scamming our economy to the ground, with bs and lies.

Odie1941 on June 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Perhaps they wanted to shield some assets. Just in case.

Socmodfiscon on June 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Indeed a possibility. I keep forgetting to tell myself to think like a progressive super villain when pondering these scumbags’ next moves.

selias on June 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

40 years? Who gets divorced after 40 years?

portlandon on June 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

People do become incredibly cranky and disagreeable as they age. The phenomenon that we see is simply the result of longer life-expectancy, methinks. Husband and wife living to see their Ruby–not to mention Gold–anniversary used to be quite rare. Usually the man would have kicked the bucket.

year_of_the_dingo on June 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

They will probably both be happier, even much happier. Why would anyone want to try to keep them together? Vanity?

Tav on June 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Not a fan of either of them, but it sucks to see a marriage end after 40 years.

BadgerHawk on June 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I’ll reach back past the Global Warming stuff and guess that Al wanted to go to Dio’s funeral, and Tipper wasn’t about to have any of that…

Hannibal Smith on June 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Really? So “the Lord” is concerned with the marriage of two shysters instead of, say, curing cancer or feeding hungry children?

These two loons have helped hoist the greatest fraud in world history upon us (not counting their marriage, of course), and I’m supposed to feel something because they are undoing a simple legal procedure people refer to as “marriage”? PUH and LEEZE

SouthernGent on June 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM

For Al, I wish that he finds true warming . . . in the deepest depths of Hell.

TXUS on June 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM

TXUS: I see a teachable moment,and a cautionary tale,a
after-school special,as a for-warning to those
young Liberal kids!!haha:)

canopfor on June 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

canopfor on June 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Good on you and the spouse. MY wife and I just celebrated 39 and I just can’t wrap my head around someone quitting at 40.
But like itsnotaboutme said the Lord is good and it is because of his grace that my wife and I have completed 39 years together.

chemman on June 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM