Helen Thomas to Gibbs: Why didn’t you immediately jump to conclusions about this “deliberate massacre” like I did?

posted at 5:04 pm on June 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

Nothing new here, although her press-room anti-Israel jeremiads do appear to be making some headway. Remember when she tried to put Obama on the spot at his first presidential presser over Israel’s nuclear capability? Just 16 short months later, suddenly The One’s backing calls for a nuclear-free Middle East. Keep at it, Helen. Maybe, pretty soon, he’ll be asking people too to explain to him why Al Qaeda wants to attack America.

Gibbs knows the answer to her question but he can’t give it publicly lest it alienate our Turkish “ally” and Palestinian “partner in peace.” For the brutal truth, you need a grant of anonymity:

With much of the world expressing fury over the raid, the contrast with Washington’s muted response could not have been more striking.

“The situation is that they’re so isolated right now that it’s not only that we’re the only ones who will stick up for them,” said an American official. “We’re the only ones who believe them — and what they’re saying is true.”

The official was referring to Israeli protestations — backed by Israel Defense Forces video — that their solders were attacked by passengers on a ship headed for Gaza with humanitarian aid, when they boarded the ship in what the Israelis concede were international waters.

Thanks to the White House, the Security Council resolution that passed didn’t explicitly condemn Israel but merely the unspecified “acts” that led to deaths on the ship. That was their concession to the actual truth of what happened, and diplomatically it’s probably the best they could have done. As for Helen, I realize that she’s the “grand dame of the press corps” or whatever, but if we’re going to reduce Q&A with Gibbs into a soapbox for the reporters present, let’s dispense with the actual journalists there like Tapper and Major Garrett and send in people like O’Reilly and Olbermann to rant at him instead. What you lose in information you’ll gain in entertainment!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

s/b you’re

Laura in Maryland on June 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I ran into her while having dinner in DC once. A darkened room didnt help.

johnnyU on June 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

No, I didn’t say that. I did say that the situation has blown up.

AnninCA on June 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM

And why is that exactly? Because the craven, appeasement-driven West indulges Muslim temper tantrums.

It is manufactured, selective outrage.

We don’t hear a peep out of them when a truck bomb kills 150 people in a Baghdad marketplace or when a mosque is blown up in Pakistan.

mudskipper on June 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I think I’ll remain Independent. There is something way hinky about conservatives.

AnninCA on June 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Oooh, heartbreak. We almost had her.
*sniff*

Cicero43 on June 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I’m simply quivering with anticipation of learning how our lovely Ann agrees with the “pro-palestinians”.

But all that aside, I’m actually looking forward to seeing more of “Green Helmet Guy“. It’s been a while.

BobMbx on June 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM

And knock off the victim talk.

AnninCA on June 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Thread hijacking in progress!

Ann, your a pathetic ConcernTrollVictim. It gets old. Don’t go away mad, just go away.

Laura in Maryland on June 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Oh I want her to stay around long enough to explain her definition of “victim.” Judging by her claim I am playing a victim I’m not sure her definition of the word is the same as Websters…

Ampersand on June 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Bishop on June 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

“Why didn’t you immediately condemn the burning of Atlanta and the massacre of it’s inhabitants?”

Man, I feel really sorry for Gibbs on this one. Helen Thomas is a few articles short of a Pulitzer Prize….

Rightwingguy on June 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

AnninCA on June 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Conservative or me in particular? ;-)

Rightwingguy on June 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Is that creature even human? There is only a vague resemblance, and her mental capacity is damning evidence against. If she qualifies, surely apes do as well. And every ape I’ve seen is much better looking. Even the prehistoric ape fossils are better looking.

Splashman on June 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Is Arafat really dead? Has anyone ever seen Clark Kent and Superman in the same picture? What about Helen Thomas and Arafat?

But whether Helen Thomas a herself or Arafat in drag, why would anyone waste time listening to this hideous crone?

MaiDee on June 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Thomas was born in Winchester, Kentucky, to Lebanese immigrants[2] from Tripoli, Lebanon.[3] She was brought up in Detroit, Michigan, and attended Wayne University (now Wayne State University), graduating with a bachelor’s degree in 1942.

Has she ever taken a true journalistic look at Israel’s side of the story?

journeyintothewhirlwind on June 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

It is manufactured, selective outrage.

mudskipper on June 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

EXCELLENT point!

capejasmine on June 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Ampersand on June 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

She’ll never be able to explain it to you. I think we all should take Ann’s advice and skip her posts. She seldom makes much sense and really adds nothing of value to the conversation. Dozens of posters here at Hot Air have tried for over a year to help her clarify her thinking, but she remains sadly muddled. She’s a lost cause.

Dee2008 on June 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

But whether Helen Thomas is herself or Arafat in drag, why would anyone waste time listening to this hideous crone?

MaiDee on June 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Tell me how anninca is not a bot:

Re: Israel

I think the attacks on me are interesting. I’m actually very pro-Israel.

I don’t have a problem with pro-Palestinians. I agree with them.

Re: Helen Thomas:

But she definitely has a bias.

she’s often quite above the usual politics

WitchDoctor on June 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I ran into her while having dinner in DC once. A darkened room didnt help.

johnnyU on June 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Too bad you were not at a drive in.

Aviator on June 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM

If I were POTUS, they would look like North Korean soldiers to me. Heck, they just torpedoed a ship the other day. Now they are dropping their SEALS on mercy missions!

Alert the zoomies and get all the extra parts you can carry for your Kia!

On a serious note, where was the outrage for the ROKN men who were killed?

IlikedAUH2O on June 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Dee2008 on June 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Why I do agree with you when it comes to most stories, I’m more than willing to play with AnninCA in a Helen Thomas thread. It just seems fitting.

And say what you want about Helen Thomas… But she was the bomb in Dark Chrystal yo!

Ampersand on June 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM

“Uh…uh…uh…” What a clown.

What “news” source could be so pathetic to pay Helen Thomas money to lisp her idiotic opinions in the white house?

Jaibones on June 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

WitchDoctor on June 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Pwned. Unless AnninCA is a believer of dialectic materialism, in which case contradiction is just fine!

ebrawer on June 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM

WitchDoctor on June 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!

I guess the demon on the left shoulder dukes it out with the angel on the right shoulder quite often. FOr some, it drives them mad. *cough cough cough* LOL

capejasmine on June 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Jesus Helen, just convert to Islam already! You would look so much better in a burqa!

Scott Free on June 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Though no fan of Gibbles, I must say he handled that hag’s question exceedingly well.

vnjagvet on June 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM

She is just plain scary. Scary enough to cure hiccups.

Philly on June 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I’m tempted to make a video…”Leave Ann Alone…boohoo, boohoo.”

But I won’t. It’d be ugly. Like poor old Helen Thomas.

IMHO, Israel can kill as many Muslims as they want. Islam is a cancer and needs to be excised from our world. There are no “moderate” Muslims. Their silence is deafening. Is it because they are afraid to speak out or is it because they agree with the jihadists? Either way, they are complicit in the mess that Islam has caused in the name of “religion.”

First one who calls me a racist is an idiot.

Jarhead68 on June 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Let us not forget, this is the same Robert Gibbs who, before the ’08 election, went on Hannity & Colmes, cast that annoying little smirk at Sean Hannity, and asked him “Why are you anti-Semitic?”

Funny he doesn’t pose the same query to Helen Thomas, who clearly IS anti-Semitic.

radjah shelduck on June 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM

It is manufactured, selective outrage.

mudskipper on June 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

/thread

Spiny Norman on June 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Obama is still voting “present”. His administration has yet to make any comment about the massacre of the peace activists by the evil Israelis./sarc

SC.Charlie on June 1, 2010 at 6:45 PM

AnninCA on June 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

What does this mean? Independent, meaning you will have no defining political philosophy? Because conservative, as used on this website, is an ideology, not a political party.

DrMagnolias on June 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

POP QUIZ

Is that is Helen Thomas’ hatural hair color?
Is she a highly accomplished journalist?
Is she fair and balanced?
Was the IHH ship really on a humanitarian mission?

If all yes – Get medication, seek help.

If all no – You still have functioning brain cells.

swede7 on June 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Helen Thomas is one of the few women who would look better with a beard

Sharke on June 1, 2010 at 7:02 PM

No, I didn’t say that. I did say that the situation has blown up.
AnninCA on June 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM

AnninCa is now channeling Billy Sol Hurok and Big Jim McBob:
The situation blowed up! Blowed up good! Blowed up real good!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Ampersand on June 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

She reminds me of a favorite scene from The Princess Bride. I just want to get Mandy Patinkin to say, “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Laura in Maryland on June 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Magnolias / Jarhead68 2012

Where do I donate?

Laura in Maryland on June 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

DrMagnolias on June 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

AnninCA is so open minded that her brains fell out a long time ago.

chemman on June 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I think she was in the movie “Zombieland”. She played the dead zombie clown right?.

mechkiller_k on June 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I have this for Anninca – just replace Queen with her name:
“Alice laughed. ‘There’s no use trying,’ she said. ‘One CAN’T believe impossible things.’

‘I daresay you haven’t had much practice,’ said the Queen. ‘When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.’”
— Lewis Carroll

LarryG on June 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Is that the face of Helen Thomas or a Sham Wow?

Lockstein13 on June 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM

That woman is an evil little troll.

Boxy_Brown on June 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Which one? Helen Thomas, or AnninCA?

rayra on June 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM

You guys need to stop dissing the Sex Goddess Helen Thomas, she is a modern day Aphrodite and Blantblue’s soon to be betrothed.
And she was hot in her sex tape with Sasquatch; I still get a rise every time I think about it.

LincolntheHun on June 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Israel is strong enough to assert itself on this. I would PREFER if they actually accepted some responsibility.

I think that’s what the real world is demanding, and it’s what Israel has not quite reached, politically or otherwise.

AnninCA on June 1, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Responsibility for what? They already acted responsibly — even over-cautiously — by first, using paintguns rather than real ones, second, waiting for permission before defending themselves, and third — and most dangerously — aiming at their adversary’s legs instead of aiming center-of-mass, which is the only safe way when you’re being attacked.

So I would say they already acted very responsibly, but probably not very wisely. The “wise” thing to do would be to give fair warning before putting a sizable hole in the hull, then giving those on the boat plenty of life preservers if they’re willing to be rescued without a fight.

tom on June 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM

LincolntheHun on June 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

ok, forget AnninCA, THIS guy needs banning.

rayra on June 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Has she ever taken a true journalistic look at Israel’s side of the story?

journeyintothewhirlwind on June 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Holy crap, that’s some funny sh*t right there!

BallisticBob on June 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Gibbs deserves questions only from this harridan.

They are a perrfect couple.

Of fools.

profitsbeard on June 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

More importantly, I want to know why Gibbsie is always sporting that SEIU purple tie. Is that code for “We’ve got your backs, brothers.”

As far as Helen Thomas is concerned, she is like a broken record stuck in the anti-Israel track. Gibbs might have simply said that there are conflicting stories (and perhaps videotapes) about how the flotilla events evolved. Israel assures that humanitarian aid gets to the Gaza Strip, and it is in Israel’s national security interest that no contraband weapsons get into the Gaza without inspection. The IDF did not board that ship with guns ablazing after all.

onlineanalyst on June 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Helen is coo coo for cocoa puffs!

MCGIRV on June 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

As for Helen, I realize that she’s the “grand dame wrinkled hobbit of the press corps”

FIFY

Liberty or Death on June 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Mandatory photoshop

Lookin’ good girl!

justltl on June 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Wait, did I put the chopped pic up or the real one?
Dang.
Nevermind.

justltl on June 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Is that the face of Helen Thomas or a Sham Wow?

Lockstein13 on June 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Heh, a Sham-wow doesn’t have wrinkles, and if it did you could iron them out, something the hag-Thomas could never do with those wrinkles although I would like to see someone take an iron to that face…arrrggghhh!/sarc

Liberty or Death on June 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM

mechkiller_k on June 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Oh man, you’re exactly right! She has the looks of the un-dead and her blatant bias makes her foolish like a clown!

Liberty or Death on June 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Two thoroughly disgusting people in the same video clip.

Yum.

HAnthonyWayne on June 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Tony Snow vs Helen Thomas classic.

Snow: “Well, thank you for the Hezbolah view.”

I miss Snow. Class act.

swede7 on June 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Here’s a little award that I made for AnninCa and in honor of Helen Thomas:

I call it the Trollie Award.

Congrats.

justltl on June 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Here’s a little award that I made for AnninCa and in honor of Helen Thomas:

I call it the Trollie Award.

Congrats.

justltl

I found a better, more appropriate award for AnninCa.

xblade on June 1, 2010 at 11:32 PM

xblade on June 1, 2010 at 11:32 PM

LOL!

justltl on June 2, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Last chop of the day.

justltl on June 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM

It’s times like this I miss Tony Snow, who once called Thomas out on her crap by making a snide remark saying “Thank you for the Hezbollah View.”

teke184 on June 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I dream of the day when some young journalist sitting way in the back of the press room accidentally speaks his thoughts out loud and says “oh G#$ dammit Helen, will you just shut the F#^K UP!!”

I know it will never happen but a guy can dream, can’t he?

I would love to pit Helen in a death match against my Armenian Grandma. She would smack down Helen’s ugly mug so hard….it would probably be an improvement on her face.

sorry.. just dreaming again.

johnnyboy on June 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Helen Thomas is a despicable loathsome troll of a hag who has single-handedly given journalism a bad name for years.

She is the type of hack who would give the likes of H.L. Menecken fits!

pilamaye on June 2, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Helen Thomas….not very attractive on the outside…..ugly on the inside.

afotia on June 2, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Ms. Thomas and Mr. Gibbs both must go so the news we get is unfiltered and truthful.

MSGTAS on June 2, 2010 at 10:21 AM