Conservative leaders call for boycott of Comedy Central over show about Jesus

posted at 10:21 pm on June 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s not clear from the story whether this is a full-blown bid to knock blasphemous material off the air or merely an attempt to get CC to drop its Muslim/Christian double standard towards blasphemy. I’m hoping that it’s the latter but assuming that it’s the former. This is precisely the scenario I was dreading in that post about Apple removing an anti-Islam app from its iTunes store: Once you start censoring yourself out of fear of Islam, you’ll inevitably be asked to censor yourself further in the interest of “even-handedness” towards other religions. How long, I wonder, before “South Park” has to black out images of Jesus in the name of fairness?

Brent Bozell (president, Media Research Center), Tony Perkins (president, Family Research Council), Michael Medved (talk radio host), Bill Donohue (president, Catholic League), Rabbi Daniel Lapin (American Alliance of Jews and Christians) and, of course, Tim Winter (president, Parents Television Council) are joining forces to form the Coalition Against Religious Bigotry…

Comedy Central’s “JC” is currently in development, which means it’s still a couple steps away from becoming a Go project. The show is about Jesus trying to live as a regular guy in New York City and wanting to escape the shadow of his “powerful but apathetic father” (more details here). With Comedy Central having recently censored frequent parenting group target “South Park” for trying to portray the Prophet Muhammad, some Christian leaders see the development of a Jesus cartoon as exhibiting an offensive double standard…

“After we reveal the vile and offensive nature of Comedy Central’s previous characterizations of Jesus Christ and God the Father, we expect these advertisers to agree wholeheartedly to end their advertising on Comedy Central and discontinue their support for unabashed, anti-Christian discrimination,” Bozell said in a statement. “Why should they be supporting a business that makes a habit of attacking Christianity and yet has a formal policy to censor anything considered offensive to followers of Islam? This double standard is pure bigotry, one from which advertisers should quickly shy away.”

Via THR, here’s a lowlight reel from “South Park” released by CARB to illustrate the problem. If the goal here isn’t really to torpedo the show but rather to highlight what fantastic hypocrites Comedy Central executives are, then full speed ahead. And maybe that is the intent; it occurs to me that if this was an anti-blasphemy group in earnest, they might have included some Muslim members to present a united ecumenical front. As it is, in the unlikely event that CC backs off on Mohammed, CARB can say, “Okay, then we withdraw our objection,” which it probably couldn’t do if Muslims were involved. But, er, what if CC actually agrees to their demand and cancels the show in order to be “even-handed”? Would CARB accept that or would it object that the remedy it wanted was for parodies of Mohammed to be shown, not for parodies of Christ to be censored? With Tony Perkins and Bill Donohue involved, presumably cancellation is acceptable. Which is an ominous precedent.

The group’s holding a presser on Thursday so reserve judgment until then. You’ll be pleased to know, meanwhile, that Facebook has finally caved to Pakistani demands by removing the “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day” page, along with assurances that “nothing of this sort will happen in the future.” Presumably “Everybody Draw Jesus Day” pages will also soon be forbidden, assuming they aren’t already.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

What liberals and conservatives both apparently need to remember is that Christians aren’t going to bomb anyone over blasphemy.

Liberals: Since Christians aren’t going to bomb anyone, there’s no moral equivalence.
Conservatives: Since Christians aren’t going to bomb anyone, faith-based action is completely ineffective.

Without terror, these are completely different stories.

Lehosh on June 2, 2010 at 7:42 AM

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.”

St. Thomas Aquinas

Just thought I’d throw that out there for Naruto and his fellow atheists (COUGH!! ALLAH!! COUGH!!).

I’ve read all the posts and I was going to respond with some counter arguments. I was going to cite this and that and try to cut through the bluster. But after thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized that it would be pointless. So, again, I refer to St. Thomas’ eloquently simple yet completely accurate quote.

Take care. I have to go to work and catch some bad guys.

blueknight99 on June 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I’m not sure I see the problem.

Boycotts are a traditional way of protest. It’s not unlike a petition or picketing. Americans do this from time to time.

The reason they don’t show Muhammad is because they are fearful of deadly retaliation from extremists.

It’s hardly the same thing.

Asher on June 2, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Boycotts don’t mean a thing, if they want some real results they need to do a “Muslim” on the TV network.

(I am still wondering why the police did not investigate the death threats regarding the Mohammad-related cartoon. Were they real or faked by the network?)

albill on June 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM

They should just do a Jesus and Mohammed livin’ in the Big City cartoon.

Socmodfiscon on June 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM

B-plus, ShyGuy, thanks for the clarification / correction on Hebrew articles. I stand corrected.

–Skydaddy the goy

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Whiskeytango,

I believe that I’m correct based on a rational, open-minded investigation of the evidence. Feel free to read my posts in this thread if you’re interested.

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 8:31 AM

By their fruits, you shall know them, television writers and posters, alike.

kingsjester on June 2, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Having grown up in the time of Bob Hope, Red Skelton and all the really funny guys, I’ve never watched those shows and never will.

Kissmygrits on June 2, 2010 at 8:48 AM

How does one boycott a channel that one never watches?

OK, every now and then I do watch Futurama (I love Bender!)…

Fuzzlenutter on June 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM

The show should be cancelled. It’s obvious CC and the MSM are dhimmis and will continue to censor criticism against Islam. I’ll be damned if my faith gets mocked and insulted while another is mollycoddled and protected from even the mildest slight.

Outlander on June 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Whiskeytango,

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 8:31 AM

And after all of that open-minded, rational investigation of the “evidence” you’re still left believing instead of knowing. I understand what you’re saying more than you realize and I’m not picking a fight with you, but being that we’re in an interactive forum and all…….
Believe vs to Know

whiskeytango on June 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Eh, there’s so much crap on TV that I find offensive already, that one more offensive show doesn’t bother me much: I just don’t watch it. I hate the double-standard, but I think ANY censorship is ill-advised, so the solution is not to censor everything equally. As for the boycott, sounds good to me, since that’s a legitimate way to affect company policy: hit their checkbook, as opposed to threatening violence.

Animator Girl on June 2, 2010 at 9:48 AM

whiskeytango on June 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM

…which is why they call Christianity a Faith and not a science.
If the tenets of our Faith were able to be proven with evidence and concrete knowledge, it wouldn’t be faith nor would it be a matter of the soul and spirit; it would be a science and a matter of the rational mind alone.
Also, there is intelligence and there is also wisdom and the two are most definitely not the same thing.

Jenfidel on June 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM

CARB would be better off sponsoring an informational campaign on the disparate and prejudicial depiction of Christianity than risk being labeled just one more whiny pressure group. They could mobilize a lot of people and raise a lot of money. They can’t induce CC executives to acquire spines vis à vis Islam – nothing they would threaten trumps the fear of getting murdered – but canceling the Jesus project wouldn’t accomplish that either (and if CC defied them instead, the “boycott” would just be perverse advertising and infuriate many libertarians).
As Cupp showed in her book, there has been a sustained MSM tendency (comparable in my view to some of the more genteel forms of anti-Semitism) to denigrate the majority faith, which the majority tends to shrug off from complacency or ignorance of the facts. This is an instance where sustained consciousness-raising could do more to improve the culture over time than sporadic grievance mongering.

Seth Halpern on June 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Wow.

After watching this I have the strange urge to behead non Christians and post it on You Tube…no, wait, I’m sorry, this feeling is actually the one where I want to hijack a plane and fly it into a building in Jesus’ honor. /*

Alden Pyle on June 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Sure, that’s the perfect answer! Be just as nutso as the Muslims!

mojo on June 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Never. How many times have Christians boycotted something only to eventually give up because boycotts are stupid and produce nothing but free publicity for the show?

Comedy Central won’t cave to this. No one’s calling for their heads.

Esthier on June 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I think it is well and good for any offend person or group of” individuals” to boycott whatever person or organization they feel has offended their sensibilities.

I only wish Muslims would do the same and boycott travel to and all that is “western” civilization.

TheSitRep on June 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Also, that video is way too short for the material available from South Park alone.

Esthier on June 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM

…which is why they call Christianity a Faith and not a science.

Jenfidel on June 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Don’t all religions require Faith? I don’t think that faith is a qualifying factor in determining truth. Roll your own but I hear too many people cite faith as evidence. Believe all you want and I’ll stick up for your right to do so, but how do you convince others?

whiskeytango on June 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Sure, that’s the perfect answer! Be just as nutso as the Muslims!

mojo on June 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I agree that this is stupid, but I completely disagree that this is as nutso as Muslims, considering they actually threaten to kill people who insult them. That’s also why this boycott will fail to produce any results.

Esthier on June 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Yes, but given human nature, carry this double standard too far and some already anxious and angry people are going to get into their heads that maybe violence is the answer. It’s as inevitable as it is avoidable.

EasyEight on June 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM

whiskeytango on June 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM

If you’d ask me, I’d tell you that I do know, just as strongly as I know my own mother. Obviously it’s easier to convince you I have a mother, because I can introduce her to you in a more traditional sense, and you’re already given to accept that everyone had a mother at one point.

But I have also seen moments when the same thing can be said of God, when people come to realize something they really knew all along.

I fully believe God can be scientifically explained. Maybe not now, but I fully believe it’s within the realm of possibility. And I don’t at all find this to be a contradiction with the ideals of faith, as I don’t believe Christianity is about being taught some secret password. I don’t believe people die without ever knowing about God and ignorantly rejecting him. That’s at complete odds with the Bible that states that everyone makes a choice.

For me, the faith isn’t that God exists. It’s that God really has a plan for me and that it’s a better plan than I could make.

Esthier on June 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM

EasyEight on June 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Unless an entire organization gets this idea and backs the insane Christians among us, it still won’t matter. A handful of lone loons aren’t what made Comedy Central fearful of mocking Islam.

Esthier on June 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM

whiskeytango on June 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM

It’s all up to the Holy Spirit who give us the words to convince others and who opens the hearts of would-be believers.

Faith involves an “inner knowing” that God’s word rings true in oneself in a way that material proof and intellectual knowledge does not.

Jenfidel on June 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM

whiskeytango on June 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM

You live it. If your neighbors think you’re someone they like living next to, and someone they want to be like, then they’ll join you. If not, they won’t. That’s part of what they mean by “By their fruits, you shall know them.” Your beliefs end up defining your moral compass, so pick a compass you’d want to live with.

On the loons, the problem with a handful of loons, is they can easily become more than a handful of loons. Actually what really worries me about the double standards is that if it becomes acceptable to gain somethings through violence, and threat of violence, it often spreads to everything. Every time islamists threaten to kill someone if they don’t get their way, and people give into them, it chips away at the entire concept of Rule of Law, and moves us one step closer to Rule of Who has the Biggest Club.

If civilized people don’t stand up to thugs, then civilization ends.

Voyager on June 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with boycotting. There’s no threat of violent intimdiation behind it.

Of course you don’t really wonder that AP.

aengus on June 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM

EasyEight on June 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM

It’s not inevitable. Who knows maybe some mentally defective libertarian man-child will read this post and go bomb a church because he believes Christians are trying to take away his favourite TV show.

aengus on June 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM

If cable can now have all the 4 letter words on such channels, and constant simulated sex, as well as endless rotted corpses and acts of sadism inserted under the guise of ‘forensic entertainment’ they may as well blaspheme Christ. However, Christians have a free voice to make their own disapproval known

Personally, I think the days when 4 letter words, simulated sex and sadistic carnage, as well as propaganda blitz’s insulting churches were better days. Sodom and Gomorrah are not good role models

Obviously, “South Park” is not seeking out conservative Christian viewers, so what do they lose if they offend Christians. Ditto Comedy Channel

All humans are hypocrites, sinners and failed in the sight of the Lord. No need to highlight hypocrisy. However, there is value in making a loud voice of disapproval of the attacks on Christ and the Gospel

Christians would be hypocrites not to defend the faith

A Christian group has no need to be ecumenical to defend their faith. This is a game played by the seularists: if a faith does not have the support of other sects, they have no right to speak

That is slightly possible and that would be a shame. Right now, the only place you cannot draw Jesus is in public schools, and the only place you cannot pray in the name of Jesus is as a military chaplain.

However, since the war in America is on Christianity, I do not expect insults to Christ to be banned. Thomas Paine wrote scathing tracts against Christianity which I appreciated being able to read. It told me more about Paine, than Christ

The deviance displayed on cable today tells me more about the lack of Bible, than the influence of Christianity. The great prophets of the Bible ranted against sin and for this they are great. I am proud people are standing up for decency

entagor on June 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM

entagor on June 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM

You’d do well to remove the sequoia from your hindquarters.

MadisonConservative on June 2, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Tell you what, AP – when Comedy Central shows the cajones to broadcast “the Mohammed Show”, I’ll give them some credit.

Until then, they just prove what cowards most atheists are. You claim Christians are repressive, and want to force their beliefs on you, yet somehow griping is all they ever do. If “griping” causes you problems, see a doctor and get a tranquilizer.

Squiggy on June 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Esthier, Tango, well said.

whiskeytango, all religions – including secular humanism and atheism – require faith to a greater or lesser extent.

In the case of Christianity, I found that I did not need faith to believe that Christ rose from the dead. That was simply the simplest and “least-crazy” explanation of the facts IMO. It was a logical conclusion.

Nor did it require faith to believe that Jesus was the Messiah. After all, if He did in fact rise from the dead, then that’s pretty good evidence that He was Who he said he was.

What took faith was believing that His death on the cross paid the penalty for my sins, if I would but accept it.

I found it to be a very small step.

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I’m confused. Didn’t AllahPundit give of us a post that caused a thread about how EFFECTIVE the boycotts of Arizona are being????

Oh, I get it. Majority Moderate Conservatives cannot be bothered to stand up for what’s right and freedoms. While the majority Moderate Conservatives have no problem joining the Leftist Chorus of mocking and ridiculing Conservatives that will by calling them EXTREMISTS. Isn’t politics in America beautiful?

BTW– This High School Boy might give you Moderates an idea what cajones look like.

Sultry Beauty on June 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

+1000.

Skydaddy, do mind if I ask what flavor of Christianity you espouse?

Kristamatic on June 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

You have deeper faith in the human condition than I…

EasyEight on June 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I meant to give Voyager a shout-out earlier, along with Esthier.

Kristamatic, I consider myself to be what C.S. Lewis called “mere” Christian. I don’t go in for denominationalism much. I attend and lead worship at a Baptist church, and my wife and I were baptized and married by John Piper, but I have a hard time calling myself a Baptist. (Maybe because I grew up in Texas, and I have some serious problems with the current direction of the SBC.)

If there have to be labels, I’m more comfortable with the “Evangelical” label.

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM

You have deeper faith in the human condition than I…

There’s no conceiveable reason why Christians would be more prone to violence than non-Christians or anti-Christians.

aengus on June 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM

This is just plain dumb and gives more attention to CC for doing stupid religious slams. If you don’t want to watch, don’t watch, but a full blown boycott is just dumb.

We are not thin-skinned, like extremists.

tickleddragon on June 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Admirable. I would probably be right there with you, if I had not read the Book of Mormon. Restoration is the only thing that answers my questions about the Apostasy and the Priesthood, so the LDS church is where I make my home. But I rather think that all Christians have more in common than not- I don’t agree with the poster that thinks we are all too different to reconcile. If Jesus is our good Lord, what can possibly stop us? Since a house divided cannot stand, I wonder often what would happen if we could put our petty theological differences aside. I think if Christians of all stripes would awake, and arise so to speak, shows like the one in question would never gain any traction. We have a majority, as far as religions go, and yet we are comfortable arguing among ourselves. It’s sort of sad.

Kristamatic on June 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Um, I’ve stopped watching CC long ago. What took em so long? Boycott just says that you’ll stop watching for a bit, then return. Why not just turn off Cable completely?

Unfit For The Internet on June 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I found it to be a very small step.

skydaddy on June 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

As did I, once the evidence was presented me. And you were married by John Piper? *sigh* I loooove his strong Biblical teaching. The message “The Baby In My Womb Leapt for Joy” makes me weep. Most of his messages make me cry.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

If they really want to make an impression, they should catapult themselves on to the front of the building CC is in.
Splattering their bodies all over the place…oh wait.
That’s a South Park episode ain’ it…
The irony is lost on them.
Cowards. Mega-Cowards. Hella-Cowards.

islam is a lie and Truth is killing it.

Army Brat on June 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM

If civilized people don’t stand up to thugs, then civilization ends.

Voyager on June 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM

All Good will be attacked.

All Gardens will be invaded.

It is up to the Good to stand for their morals.

It is up to the Gardener to work for the survival of the Garden.

It is up to the defenders of Civilization to defend it.

Nothing may long endure without the will and effort to maintain it. This is true of all things.

Chaz706 on June 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM

“Comedy”…the stuff people turn to in order to avoid reality.

Well, we have the big races, we have the games, we have any number of cults infiltrating our society, we have a great road system, a powerful military spread out over the known world, the constant threat of enemies from Asia, pandemic pestilence could occur at any time, we have tabloidism and any manner of pseudoscience supplanting real learning and innovation, dwindling/mismanaged resources, more and more land coming into the hands of the State and various elite, and the powers that be and their minions are persecuting Christians.

Dang…this sounds familiar?

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 2, 2010 at 9:45 PM

1. The video makes CC look incredibly pathetic. They think this is funny? What are they, four? Poop jokes? “Doody-head!” “Pee-pee!”

2. Freedom of speech doesn’t mean nobody ever objects to what you say. It means the opposite. It doesn’t suddenly become fascist when Brent Bozell does it.

(Note: Bozell does cross the line on occasion by proposing that the government impose excessive content rules on broadcasting. He’s not doing that here. Looks like CARB is proposing — horrors — a citizen pressure campaign. Man, next they’ll be telling people they can’t use racial slurs on TV.)

3. Get back to me if CARB starts issuing fatwas and slam-tackling the CC creative crew. I won’t hold my breath.

J.E. Dyer on June 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM

What liberals and conservatives Comedy Central knows both apparently need to remember is that Christians aren’t going to bomb anyone over blasphemy.

Is their a Christian word for Jihad?

F15Mech on June 2, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Is their a Christian word for Jihad?

F15Mech on June 2, 2010 at 10:34 PM

The closest equivalent is the Great Commission, which involves evangelizing and persuading rather than attacking and conquering.

I think that may be the best example of how Christianity is different from Islam.

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I stopped watching CC when I was…oh, wait a second, I have never watched them.
As an aside, Christianity likely hasn’t a word for jihad.

kellyjane on June 3, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Christianity likely hasn’t a word for jihad.

It’s much out of use, but the term is “Crusade.” Btw, the Crusades and the concept of “Christendom” were a reaction to wave after wave of muslim invasions and conquests of Christian kingdoms.

EasyEight on June 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM

No problem with 24/7 “blasphemy” no matter which superstition is involved so Comedy Central should be boycotted until they run the uncensored South Park Moe show.

Annar on June 3, 2010 at 8:34 AM