Someone to remember this Memorial Day

posted at 5:20 pm on May 30, 2010 by Cassy Fiano

To Marines, the name Jason Dunham is already famous. He was born on November 10, 1981 — the Marine Corps birthday. He was raised in Scio, NY, and joined the Marine Corps in the year 2000. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines and was deployed to Iraq.

On April 14, 2004, Dunham made a decision that would save the lives of two Marines… at the cost of his own.

Dunham, a 22-year-old machine gunner from Scio, N.Y., was manning a checkpoint near Karabilah, near the Syrian border in Iraq, on April 14, 2004, when an Iraqi man grabbed his throat. As the two scuffled, the Iraqi dropped a grenade with the pin removed, and Dunham quickly jumped on it, using his Kevlar helmet and body to smother the blast.

Shrapnel pierced his skull, and he died eight days later with his parents at his side at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md.

The then-Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Michael Hagee, presented Dunham with a Purple Heart before he died. General Hagee and Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John Estrada were also at his bedside when he died, alongside his parents.

He became the first Marine to receive the Medal of Honor in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and was the second person to receive a Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq. A United States Navy missile destroyer has been named after him, with a piece of his helmet embedded into the mast.

He’s received our nation’s highest honors, but it doesn’t make up for the sacrifice he made for our country and for his Marines. Remember Corporal Jason Dunham this Memorial Day. Remember all of the heroes, the best and brightest among us, who have given their lives so that we may be free.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Follow Cassy on Twitter and read more of her work at CassyFiano.com and Hard Corps Wife.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

God bless him & everyone who has served. I thank you all.

sdm

stvdog on May 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

To all of those that have served, currently serve, or have fallen I salute you with great admiration, respect, and gratitude!

All gave some, some gave all…

Liberty or Death on May 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

God bless this man’s family and a special blessing on his parents for their raising an excellent son. Thank you for a son that makes the United States what it is.

texriot on May 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

We shall keep the faith.

wonk-a-donk on May 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

There is also a Destroyer named after him.USS Jason Dunham (DGD 109)

Necromancer on May 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Mis-spelled that. It’s (DDG) or maybe it’s C not sure.

Necromancer on May 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Not a day will pass that he won’t weep, but his father can be so proud. I guarantee that selflessness gained him two new “sons”. They’ll never forget that man.

The Dunhams, and all the other service men and women, are in my family’s prayers.

rogerb on May 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Thank you one all and past present and future, for Your Service, to the Republic of the Untied States of America.

Happy Memorial Day. I’ve got my flags ready for my hokey dokey parade tomorrow. I live in the South, we still put flowers on Graves and silly things like Parades down Broad Street.

seesalrun on May 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

seesalrun on May 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM
ha. United…Freudian slip perhaps.

seesalrun on May 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

The USS Jason Dunham will be designated as a DDG, with a hull number of 109.

May God Bring peace and comfort to his family. He has paid a debt for our freedom we will never be able to repay.

RealMc on May 30, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Cpl. Dunham I am awed by your actions and sacrifice.

You are a United States Marine who not only could talk the talk but you walked the walk.

Semper Fi my brother.

jarhead0311 on May 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

rogerb on May 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Amen.

rebuzz on May 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM

We shall keep the faith.

wonk-a-donk on May 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

wonk-a-donk: That was beautiful,thank-you,I’ll add!:)
——————————————————

THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

canopfor on May 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM

And I will remember his family, his mother and father and siblings (if any), in particular, and all of those who loved him. And I shall also remember a boy — a young man of 24, if I recall correctly – from the next town north of mine, who gave his life in the first year or so of the war in Afghanistan.

lizzieillinois on May 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM

There is also a Destroyer named after him.USS Jason Dunham (DGD 109)

Necromancer on May 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Necromancer:) Here ya go:)
==============================

USS JASON DUNHAM (DDG 109)

============================================================
Medal Of Honor Citation
—————————

DUNHAM, JASON L.

Rank and Organization: Corporal, United States Marine Corps

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Rifle Squad Leader, 4th Platoon, Company K, Third Battalion, Seventh Marines (Reinforced), Regimental Combat Team 7, First Marine Division (Reinforced), on 14 April 2004. Corporal Dunham’s squad was conducting a reconnaissance mission in the town of Karabilah, Iraq, when they heard rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire erupt approximately two kilometers to the west. Corporal Dunham led his Combined Anti-Armor Team towards the engagement to provide fire support to their Battalion Commander’s convoy, which had been ambushed as it was traveling to Camp Husaybah. As Corporal Dunham and his Marines advanced, they quickly began to receive enemy fire. Corporal Dunham ordered his squad to dismount their vehicles and led one of his fire teams on foot several blocks south of the ambushed convoy. Discovering seven Iraqi vehicles in a column attempting to depart, Corporal Dunham and his team stopped the vehicles to search them for weapons. As they approached the vehicles, an insurgent leaped out and attacked Corporal Dunham. Corporal Dunham wrestled the insurgent to the ground and in the ensuing struggle saw the insurgent release a grenade. Corporal Dunham immediately alerted his fellow Marines to the threat. Aware of the imminent danger and without hesitation, Corporal Dunham covered the grenade with his helmet and body, bearing the brunt of the explosion and shielding his Marines from the blast. In an ultimate and selfless act of bravery in which he was mortally wounded, he saved the lives of at least two fellow Marines. By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Dunham gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

canopfor on May 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM

O.k. I understand why this brave Marine gets a U.S. Navy Warship named after him…..why’s Murtha getting the same honor, again?

Rightwingguy on May 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Semper Fi, brother Marine.

cartooner on May 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Semper Fi :/

blatantblue on May 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

very nice
i never heard of this

blatantblue on May 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM

The best kind Indeed… In deed.

RalphyBoy on May 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Semper Fi, Marine.

BKeyser on May 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Rightwingguy on May 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

we cannot explain
some things are just inexplicable

blatantblue on May 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

blatantblue on May 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I agree.

Rightwingguy on May 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Rest in peace. Semper fi.

Thank God for men like this.

Mr. Joe on May 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Palin profiled Jason Dunham on her FOX special. Makes me weep to think of the sacrifice of our young men and women.

I could not be prouder of the US Armed Forces.

Urban Infidel on May 30, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Everything that has been said above, and then some.

God bless them all.

Shiny_Tiara on May 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I was honored yesterday to be a tiny part of the successful. effort to protect Spc. Joshua Tomlinson’s funeral from the Westboro lunatics. It is a lesson of what memorial day is all about and the strength of small-town America that protects its own. God bless the Patriot Guard riders!

michaelo on May 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

seesalrun on May 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I’m going to a parade in Homewood, IL tomorrow.
Being a suburb of Chicago doesn’t always translate into hating one’s country.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I weep for the sacrifice that these brave men and women voluntary give. I also weep that we have soo many elected representatives and senators who are more concerned about the rights of terrorists and have no problem criminalizing our military personnel. RIP Cpl. Dunham, it is now our turn to make sure your sacrifice is not forgotten.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on May 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM

God Bless them all…

… Thank you for our freedom!

Seven Percent Solution on May 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Rightwingguy on May 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

..from Murtha’s Wikipedia bio (emphasis added:

“Murtha left the Marines in 1955. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for service in the Vietnam War, serving from 1966 to 1967, serving as a battalion staff officer (S-2 Intelligence Section), receiving the Bronze Star with Valor device, two Purple Hearts, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a Colonel in 1990, receiving the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.”

Believe me, I carry no water for this man (Murtha) but he did serve with distinction in Viet Nam and had a long career in the USMC.

The War Planner on May 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I love our Marines.

I hate our islamist enemy. I hate the one who dropped the grenade and how I wish Corporal Jason Dunham had survived.

This one man is worth more than all of those islamist beasts combined.

No it was not a fair trade.

I am truly sorry to learn of this good man`s death.

Sherman1864 on May 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM

My grandfather was a Marine in WWI–we didn’t find out until his funeral that he was highly decorated for saving many wounded soldiers by dragging them back from the no-man-zone while being mustard-gassed. We always thought he was a little crazy and finally found out why.

It doesn’t matter what they did or if they talked about it–it matters that they did it and would do so again if asked and able.

God bless each and every one of them. Amen.

tcn on May 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Semper Fi Mac

the Coondawg on May 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Thank you…to all our soldiers, past, present, and future.

gregbert on May 30, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Salute.

William J. Braund
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)

williamjb on May 30, 2010 at 10:41 PM

My thanks:

He could have lived the rest of his safely, without comment, without incident. This way, based on the heroic choice he made in one single instant, he will live, in those two ships, and probably in Arlington, as someone who gave his life for his friends, forever.

GTR640 on May 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM

This one man is worth more than all of those islamist beasts combined.
Sherman1864 on May 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I would also add most of the politicians and journalists “inside the Beltway” to that list.

michaelo on May 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

That’s the first documentation I’ve read of anyone successfully thwarting these (multiple expletives deleted).
Keep up the good work “michaelo”!

listens2glenn on May 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Semper Fidelis, brother.

RightXBrigade on May 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Words fail. My thanks to him and everyone else who has served, whether they made it home or not; may God abundantly bless each of you and your families, and grant a truly deserved measure of grace and peace for each.

Midas on May 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Jason Dunham was on Sarah Palin’s Real American Stories special.

StewartIII on May 31, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Medal of Honor

Iraq

Jason Dunham

Paul Smith

Ross MacGinnis

Micheal Monsoor

Afghanistan

Micheal Murphy

Jared Monti

Somalia

Randy Shughart

Gary Gordon

Tony737 on May 31, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Thank you Jason Dunham, and all Marines, and all member of all the services.
Without you, we’re nothing.

Kenosha Kid on May 31, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Semper Fi Marine!

BadMojo on May 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Thank You Jason Dunham, Marcus Luttrell, Murph, Axe, Danny Boy, Shane, James, Senior, Jeff, Jacques, Taylor, Mac and EVERY Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Soldier in every service served/serving for America!!
Lone Survivor, a must read.
Respect.

christene on May 31, 2010 at 1:40 AM

John W. Finn

Shy Guy on May 31, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Love me some Marines, kept me safe, I was too dumb to know better.
RIP, brother.
Why is the screen fuzzy now?

Open The Door on May 31, 2010 at 3:40 AM

A slow respectful salute to thee from tho of U.S. who do not understand the sacrifice a Marine (code name Jason) has given his all in a struggle against those who have no respect for life or liberty, now reports for duty as one of Gods guardian “Semper Fi”.

From a 25 year Viet Vet, his first born son, en-route to Afghanistan, and those who understand the meaning of “Duty, Honor, and Country”. We will continue to fight the good fight to bring freedom and liberty to people who deserve it, in your honor.

MSGTAS on May 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM

By C W Johnson

We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As TAPS began to play.
The Chaplin led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.
They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here ‘neath the sand.
I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.
Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,
Thanks for what you’ve given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore….

Thank you to every one that fights for our freedom every day.

Too all the many who have fallen to give us our freedom.

I HONOR YOU!!

RoxanneH on May 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I was honored yesterday to be a tiny part of the successful. effort to protect Spc. Joshua Tomlinson’s funeral from the Westboro lunatics “worthless” UGs (aka uninvited guests). It is a lesson of what memorial day is all about and the strength of small-town America that protects its own. God bless the Patriot Guard riders!

michaelo on May 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Michaelo as a fellow proud Patriot Guard Rider THANKS for continuing to give HONOR and RESPECT to our fallen warriors – I would only request that you never give even a shred of publicity to those scum we shield families from – ONLY refer to them in the manner in which I’ve noted above.
THANKS again and ride SAFE

Katfish on May 31, 2010 at 11:30 AM

To all my brothers and sisters in green, let us keep close to our hearts the ones who will never come back, let us remind Americans that today is not about having a BBQ, but about rejoicing in our freedom that the fallen have given us. God bless you all.

Teleycoman (VET)

Teleycoman on May 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Amen

ladyingray on May 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Here’s a big picture of the Jason Dunham.

Your pop-up blocker with Internet Explorer may go nuts, Firefox is better for that site.

Semper Fi! — USMC-R SSgt