BP abandons “top kill”

posted at 10:20 am on May 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

“It’s a little bit of a roller coaster ride for everyone …” No kidding. After BP and Admiral Thad Allen did a few high-fives over the apparent initial success of “top kill” in stopping the flow of oil from the Deepwater Horizon blowout in the Gulf of Mexico, it became clear that the attempt had failed. BP finally threw in the towel on Plan B, and are moving ahead with Plan C, which hopes to cap the blowout and capture “the great majority” of the oil spewing from the destroyed well:

BP will “move on to the next option” after several attempts to stuff solid material and pump mud into a breached Gulf of Mexico oil well failed to stop the flow, according to a BP spokesman. …

Top BP executives said Saturday that engineers and scientists had decided to try a new technique of stopping the flow after three attempts to pump mud and 16 tries to stuff solid material into the well failed.

That option: placing a custom-built cap to fit over the “lower marine riser package,” BP chief operation officer Doug Suttles said. BP crews were already at work Saturday to ready the materials for that method, he said.
rr
“We have not been able to stop the flow,” a somber Suttles told reporters. “Repeated pumping, we don’t believe, will achieve success, so we will move on to the next option.”

Suttles and other officials said that the “top kill” attempt to stop the flow did so — but only as long as they were pumping. When the pumping stopped, the oil resumed its escape.

Thursday’s announcement came just hours before Barack Obama assured Americans that the federal government was completely in charge of the Gulf disaster response, and that BP didn’t do anything without a by-your-leave from Admiral Allen. It then became obvious that BP had interrupted the “top kill” procedure for almost a day without anyone from the government team noticing it. By Friday, most people had already figured out from the live camera that Allen and BP had declared victory much too early, and that the sudden silence afterward meant that Plan B had already failed. This just confirms what was plain to see on Friday.

Plan C involves sealing the breach with a cap that will allow BP to channel the oil flow in a manner that will keep it secure and retrievable. They took pains to emphasize that it would only capture “a great majority” of the crude oil at best, which means that the spill will continue to unfold until BP can drill relief wells to divert the flow and dramatically decrease pressure at the blowout. Unfortunately, that won’t happen until August at the earliest.

Plan A, readers will remember, also involved installing a cap on the blowout, a maneuver that failed in the first weeks of the crisis. Let’s hope this idea works better — and let’s hope that this time, the administration keeps its high-fives in its pockets.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Just nuke the damn hole already!!!

abobo on May 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Admiral Allen looks up just in time to see the bus…thump ..thump..thump.

Dire Straits on May 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Mission Accomplished.

Holger on May 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM

“Plan C”??? Try plan G or H, at least! As Jon Stewart says, they’re just making stuff up.

aero on May 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM

“Mission Accomplished”

MikeA on May 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Top Kill did just that. It killed any chance of a second term for the guy at the top.

meci on May 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Holger on May 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Beat me by seconds.

MikeA on May 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Geez, they abandoned Top Kill & Junk Shot operations early yesterday. This is obvious to anyone who has been paying attention.

At least, BP has been leaning on the side of caution not to make a horrible situation far worse, at the wellhead. They do not want a 30,000 bbl per day spew like Ixtoc I had for months in 1979.

Kermit on May 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Why don’t they try using a big drill bit and drill it in enough so it will stay in, like a cork?

kagai on May 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Just call Sarah and Todd. Get this done.

BetseyRoss on May 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Just nuke the damn hole already!!!

abobo on May 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Because, anyone who trusts the Ruskies would be rather naive. We have that data already from Operation Gasbuggy. It is not a good solution by any means.

Kermit on May 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Just call Sarah and Todd. Get this done.

BetseyRoss on May 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I would call Chuck Norris.:)

Dire Straits on May 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Revelation 8, 8-9:

And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

Emperor Norton on May 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

May Obama should just plug his damned pie hole.

MikeA on May 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Waffle Time!

alexwest on May 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Nuke the sh*t out of it.
It’s a bad solution, but hey, it would stop the spill. And none of their other great solutions have amounted to jacksquat.

mjk on May 30, 2010 at 10:36 AM

How do you cap it and then capture it?

Buddahpundit on May 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

That was when Obama thought plan B would work. This is someone else’s responsibility again until something works.

forest on May 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Well, clearly Obama didn’t bark “Plug the damn hole” emphatically enough.

aero on May 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Plan A:

Let the oil hit land and do as much damage as possible; mother earth will cure over time. This is a crisis that must not be wasted. Gasoline prices will soar as will all other energy prices. We have a chance to put our boots on the throats of the entire country. The media will get mad at us, but will tow the line as they always do.

Plan B:

Double down on plan A…

It’s really that simple.

Keemo on May 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM

The great difficulty in operating at depths that at are at the limit of man’s engineering and technological abilities should put and end to the prohibition of wells at shallower depths. Environmentalists and weak kneed politicians be damned. It’s either drill baby drill on the shore or pay baby pay at the pump.

scrubjay on May 30, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I ran into this information re cleaning up oil spills the other day. Texas Tech has developed a highly absorbent cotton that may be better than the current style of booms.

onlineanalyst on May 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Let me be clear, it is not possible to talk a blown out oil well into shutting up.

MikeA on May 30, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Bush’s fault.

Del Dolemonte on May 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Maybe Obama could stand there onshore and part the waters for BP while they work. Sheesh, all talk.

LastRick on May 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Bush’s fault.

Del Dolemonte on May 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I thought it was Cheney’s until Nancy Pelosi set me straight.:)

Dire Straits on May 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Obama should summon the Kraken to stick something in the hole.

ceruleanblue on May 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure…

Aquateen Hungerforce on May 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Tie an anchor around Michael Moore’s ankle, toss him overboard and – presto!

Shy Guy on May 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Keemo on May 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM

And just how does Obama et. al. force BP to face potential bankruptcy from lost revenue and liabilities? Or is there some super sekrit deal going on behind the scenes?

Aquateen Hungerforce on May 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

While on vacation with his family, President Obama learns of the failure by BP engineers to cap off the oil leak.

Silently, President Obama thinks to himself “damn I’m good at this president thing, I’m going to raise my grade to a good solid A.”

The blame for this tragedy should include the environmentalist movement for forcing these oil rigs out into the deep sea. Hopefully, we the people can learn from this and make the corrections necessary to eliminate this type of threat from our future. We need oil while we pursue other solutions for our energy needs. We’re a decade or longer out on reducing our need for oil.

Keemo on May 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Tie an anchor around Michael Moore’s ankle, toss him overboard and – presto!

Shy Guy on May 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Man that would cause a tidal wave! Bad idea! :)

Dire Straits on May 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM

pay baby pay at the pump

Anyone who has been paying attention since the Green movement (actually the Red movement) started knows that this is the endgame. Obamabi and his Marxists cohorts hate the middle class and will destroy us with all means necessary, e.g., Tax and Trade, Obama Care, higher energy costs, etc. The Dumbocrats class warfare and loosy public education system were done to reach this and now they need a few more illegals to seal the deal.

skanter on May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

BP, you are doing a heck of a job.

Mr. Joe on May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Eureka! (Maybe). A solution to the problem came to me last night. I just sent my idea here. I know it will work but will they listen?

Guardian on May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Cheney obviously was piloting a Chinese submarine with a Al Queda /Halliburton team and set off the device that blew up the rig and set off the disaster, all the while receiving commands from the Bildeburg group and Bush 41 from Houston.

Clearly, our Pharoah cannot be blamed.

PappyD61 on May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I agree that it is time for the Michael Moore solution.

Mr. Joe on May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Bush’s fault.

Del Dolemonte on May 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I second the motion. That Bush!

miron on May 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Rove, you magnificent bastard!

BallisticBob on May 30, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on May 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I’m pretty sure you know the answer to your own question. It is my belief that this is a crisis the Obama administration is not going to let slip by. Their quest for complete power is far too obvious to deny at this point, at least in my mind.

Keemo on May 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Did you plug the hole yet daddy?

Inanemergencydial on May 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Keemo on May 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I agree to a point with you. But I do not think they wanted it to go this far. When that oil starts coming on shore in big amounts they are going to catch holy h@ll.

Dire Straits on May 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM

they need to fix it in tiers. A large cover that works as a sieve…then something above that.

tomas on May 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Time for Barry to part the sea and tell the ocean to recede and then the crew can go and plug the hole.

bayview on May 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Inanemergencydial on May 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Daddy why are you smoking and drinking in the bathroom?

Dire Straits on May 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Junk Shot describes year one, and Top Kill describes year two of the Obama Presidency. Two perfect metaphors to describe the most clueless administration in history.

meci on May 30, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I know this is a spill and not a fire but are there no men like Red Adair anymore? And why are they not taking advice from other people who have managed spills?

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM

If Top Kill fails, maybe bottom kill will work. Let call on Oprah, Michele O or Michael Moron.

bayview on May 30, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Papa, did you plug the leak yet?

No, my child. Your papa il Duce is a miserable failure. Maybe papa will take you golfing with his agitator pals?

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

This is all just window dressing in response to the panicked and hysterical demands to ‘do something’ while the relief well is being drilled.

BP lost control of the situation when the blow out preventer failed and the TransOcean drilling rig was lost in the fire. Without that rig and the pipeline into the well head, there’s nothing they can do.

They could try to replace the pipeline/riser if their undersea robots can do that kind of mechanical work under blow out conditions. But that doesn’t appear to be on the on the menu.

It might even be possible that the blow out preventer did close but couldn’t contain the pressure. That won’t be known until that device is recovered and disassembled for analysis.

Skandia Recluse on May 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

BP, you are doing a heck of a job.

Mr. Joe on May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

The best problem solver, I say, is a well-regulated problem solver. One who must follow a narrow and tightly controlled group of possible solution schemes.

Don’t you just love big government?

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM

This is a real disaster. It is hard to believe there is nothing they can do.

I seem to remember that back in the 70s there was a spill in the Gulf from a Mexican rig, and that went on for months and months. But I do not remember where the oil ended up. You would think that in all these years they would have come up with some solution for something like this.

I heard that Kevin Kostner had spent millions of his own dollars to help develop something that separates oil from water. I heard they might be thinking of using something like that.

Terrye on May 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Salon’s Joan Walsh on the ABC panel just has to be seen to be believed. Un-frikken-believable. Un-frikken- believable. “We don’t need a daddy. When did the American people think the President is their daddy?” This from the Queen of the Liberal thumb-suckers.

Marcus on May 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Wouldn’t it be nice to have Palin as Vice-President right now, someone with actual experience coordinating between government and the oil industry.

rob verdi on May 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Not to worry… “o” has been on the job since day one!!

Key West Reader on May 30, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Maybe Obama could stand there onshore and part the waters for BP while they work. Sheesh, all talk just words.

LastRick on May 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Better now.

platypus on May 30, 2010 at 11:15 AM

This is the device that Costner came up with.

Oil Therapy.

Terrye on May 30, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I screwed up the link… here it isCostner’s oil therapy

Terrye on May 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Not to worry… “o” has been on the job since day one!!

Key West Reader on May 30, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Good point. If Obama admits he turned his intellectual attention to this problem more than 40 days ago, that means our President has chalked up 40 days of miserable failure.

I knew he would fail miserably, but I’m surprised just how miserable his failure was and is.

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Can’t they do some robotic welding?

artist on May 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM

With hurricane season getting ready to commence, this thing could end up making Katrina look like a walk in the park on a Sunday afternoon.

pilamaye on May 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I’m sorry, but I just have to ask this …

Does anyone at BP know what they’re doing?

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM

A microcosm of America.

Blowhard elitists sit on the side pointing fingers, claiming to have all the answers while the warrior class, the real men, work their tails off and get blamed for not solving the problem fast enough.

Blowhards:
Obama
Code Pink
Cindy Sheehan
Diane Feinstein
Patty Murray
Warriors:
Army infantry
Marines
Army corps of engineers
Oil men

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Ok, IMHO something is not right here. If I remember correctly they said in the very beginning that if they were to drill a hole into this reserve next to where the first pipe broke it could take up to 40-60 days. Here we are 40 some odd days into this and had they started drilling a hole it could very possibly be close to completion or even done by now. Wouldn’t that extra hole into this oil reserve that could pump out the oil decrease the amount of oil coming out of the broken pipe and in turn lessen the amount of oil spilling into the gulf? Why didn’t they just immediately start the drilling process at the very beginning as a saftey net? I don’t know the first thing about oil drilling but you would think that an extra hole to pump oil to the surface would be necessary to “capture” and “preserve” the oil in the reserve. I don’t know. This just doesn’t sit right with me.

milwife88 on May 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Yeah, but the system worked.

Daggett on May 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I noticed how Obama took ownership of the problem after he thought it would work. tomas on May 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM

BINGO

tessa on May 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Perhaps this is me being stupid… but if the “top kill” method works as long as they keep pumping, then why don’t they continue pumping mud into the thing while they figure out plan C?

Heck, start a system going to keep it up until August why don’t you?

Sackett on May 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I’m sorry, but I just have to ask this …

Does anyone at BP know what they’re doing?

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM

I know those engineers are so dumb.

I noticed President Obama yesterday was inspecting the molecules in the tar balls, and I could tell by the look on his face he discovered the solution right there. But I bet those dumb, stupid-faced engineers won’t let him try his solution.

What good is a stupid PhD?

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I’ve got a plan,how about,gathering up all the Liberal
diapers that are amongst the entire White House staff,
because surely by now there sh*tting themselves,and jam
it down the pipe!!(snark).

canopfor on May 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Remember, my friends. I’m not saying BP is without error here. I’m saying that it’s hard to solve a problem when some jackass has his boots on your neck.

I blame Obama and his despicable class war.

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM

This is a real disaster. It is hard to believe there is nothing they can do.

Terrye on May 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM

“Ixtoc I was an exploratory oil well being drilled by the semi-submersible platform Sedco 135F in the Bay of Campeche of the Gulf of Mexico, about 100 km (62 mi) northwest of Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche in waters 50 m (160 ft) deep.[1] On 3 June 1979, the well suffered a blowout resulting in the second largest oil spill and the largest accidental spill in history”

“it was finally capped on 23 March 1980, nearly 10 months later”

Ixtoc = Toxic?

the_nile on May 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM

All of this oil pouring into the gulf is “capturing the imagination of the world”.

PackerBronco on May 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Something really stinks about this whole thing. First, the Joker says he’s going to permit more offshore drilling exploration. Then, shortly after, the BP rig disaster happens. (Am I still the only one who suspects sabotage?) This causes Jug-ears to retract his permission for offshore drilling exploration. The timing of all this is just highly suspect.

And I know absolutely nothing about the oil drilling business. But why does it seem like everything BP is attempting has come out of the fertile mind of Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius? Golf balls? Really?

Sorry to sound snarky. I just had to get that off my chest.

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM

milwife88 on May 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I think the problem is getting a rig that can drill that far down. I’d imagine there’s not many of them around.

BallisticBob on May 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Okay,I have another brilliant idea,bear with me on this one,
lets say,that some government had a weapon drill system,that
was on the other side of the planet,and the plan was to dril
l through an oil deposit through the gulf in an effort to po
ison the American coastline,but it stalled a few thousand fe
et just short of the ocean floor,allowing a fissure to start
leaking oil,

so,I’ve goy a suggestion,is Obama to proud to ask for the
United States Navy’s help!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on May 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Foxnews.com has this bho=’Enraged’ over latest failure to plug hole! He is probably ‘enraged’ this mess is cutting into his golf game.
L

letget on May 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Guardian on May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Can you give us the highlights?

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

BHO needs to put his Boot on the hole to plug it

jp on May 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Up here in Northern New England this morning, we’re dealing with a massive smoke spill as smoke from a batch of huge forest fires in Southern Quebec has spilled down over the border. Visibility is 3 miles or less.

We expect O’bama to send us Smokey the Bear to assist us in our pain.

Del Dolemonte on May 30, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I blame Obama and his despicable class war.

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM

You have a point. But BP looks like it was caught flat-footed, that it wasn’t prepared for the possibility of a disaster of this magnitude.

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Can’t they do some robotic welding?

artist on May 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Actually, they need to do some robotic cutting. Right now, the riser (the large diameter pipe that goes from the sea floor up to the rig) is collapsed and folded over from the BOP. It’s in the way. If they cut off the riser at the BOP so they can get a straight shot down the well, then they have workable options. They could then go into the well deep enough with a pipe to kill the well with heavy mud (pouring it in at the wellhead never had a chance of working, too much velocity of the oil coming out), or spearing in with a capping valve, or going in with an inflatable packer and plugging it off. Heavy mud followed by cement is the best and most simple path.

What the hell is taking them so long? Those solutions are pretty obvious. This looks like a project done by a large committe with no one truly in charge, so nothing gets done because no one will make a decision. Sheesh.

iurockhead on May 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I say bunker buster… laser guided into the hole. Use a BIG old ATLAS rocket from Houston, or Cali, up and in at full speed!

Oh the drama! lol

golfmann on May 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM

OIL-bama! OILbama! OIL-bama!

Send in Joe Biden!

albill on May 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM

TransOcean Site
================

BP Oil Site
===========

canopfor on May 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

iurockhead on May 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Well , obama said the government was on it since day one…

the_nile on May 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Can’t they just set it on fire so we’d get this really bitchin flame shooting up out of the water like a bigass flare?
And let’s not forget about nuking the moon, and dinosaurs with lasers.

Coronagold on May 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

iurockhead on May 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Why aren’t you the president of British Petroleum?

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

BallisticBob on May 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM

There has got to be something that’s going to work. What kills me the most is knowing that all of the so called “solutions” to his type of disaster have not worked. Where was the palnning on the part of BP? It is just amazing that it is taking this long. Another thing that gets me is why in the hell did the put all of those millions of miles of boom so close to the shore line intsead of putting them around the spill area and then use the tankers that suck this stuff up to gather that oil contained within the booms? You would think that they would be able to contain the spill in a some what controlled area and keep it as far away from the shore line as possible. I understand that some of it is not goingto be able to be contained but, you would think they could formualte some kind of plan to keep it away from the shore. Putting booms out 1-5 miles off shore just allows the spill to spread and runs the risk of it getting on shore. Maybe I’m just talking out of my a$$, but They could have done a better job of containing the oil on the surface.

milwife88 on May 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

iurockhead on May 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Why aren’t you the president of British Petroleum?

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

BTW, I want to make sure that wasn’t misread as sarcasm … you seem to have an excellent grasp of the situation.

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM

So now that Top Kill has failed…

… is Obama canceling his vacation?

Roc on May 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Why aren’t you the president of British Petroleum?

SagebrushPuppet on May 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Hey, I’m just a lowly petroleum geologist, not even an engineer. But someone with a clue about how things work on a rig would know that the stuff they’ve done so far as been outright silly.

iurockhead on May 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Here’s plan C.

BKeyser on May 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

BKeyser on May 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

That’s a Peace Prize.

iurockhead on May 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Obama’s Katrina? I think not, because you don’t have the human toll involved.

Instead, I heard on both ABC’s This Week and on Fox News Sunday someone saying that this could become Obama’s Iranian hostage crisis. On ABC This Week, I think it was George Will who said that as with Carter and the Iranian hostage crisis (and he was quick to point out Carter was a one-termer, which made the other panelists wince), the oil spill on top of other things is giving Americans the impression that Obama is not quite up to the job.

BuckeyeSam on May 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

And let’s not forget about nuking the moon, and dinosaurs with lasers.

Coronagold on May 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Meanwhile in the White House …

President Government: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my Whitehouse sycophants inform me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?

PackerBronco on May 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Foxnews.com has this bho=’Enraged’ over latest failure to plug hole!
letget on May 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Bambi is enraged because this is making him look like a horse’s a**.

PackerBronco on May 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Plan A:

Plan B:

Double down on plan A…

It’s really that simple.

Keemo on May 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Keemo: Nicely nailed,right to the point!!:)

canopfor on May 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Will they get “Mission Accomplished” treatment?

ramrants on May 30, 2010 at 12:28 PM

milwife88 on May 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

The problem is getting an Oil Rig capable of drilling at those depths into place. Most oil rigs are contracted for years in advance. My guess is that they are diverting a rig from a another site and it takes time to get that site shut down and move the rig. Hence, the August date for getting the relief well done.

chemman on May 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM

BuckeyeSam on May 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Understatement of the Day.

chemman on May 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM