Quotes of the day

posted at 9:30 pm on May 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

So much for changing how Washington works…

This election year, angry voters have made clear they have little patience for politics generally and Washington politics specifically. And they are choosing candidates who promise to change the system — and ousting incumbents who fail to deliver.

But what may be even more troubling for the president is the question the [Sestak] episode raises: Has Obama become just like every other politician?…

Obama has held himself to a different standard. By that measurement, and in this case, he failed to deliver.

***
In a sense, it’s refreshing to have a president who is candid about shortcomings. Yet Obama’s news conference may have been the weakest hour of his presidency.

As I sat in the fourth row on Thursday, I was struck by the weirdly passive figure before me. He delivered lawyerly phrases and spoke of his anger about the oil spill but showed none in his voice or on his face. He was, presumably, there to show how aggressively he has handled the disaster, but he seemed cool, almost bloodless.

***
Thursday, in the opening remarks of his press conference, the president said: “Every day I see this leak continue I am angry and frustrated.”

I wasn’t feeling it…

Mr. President, I know that you have a self-professed aversion to appearing angry, but in this case you have every right to be angry and to openly empathize with the anger of others. Otherwise, by running from one label, you risk earning another — incompetent. You feel me?

***
As for many great “thinkers,” for Barack Obama and his coterie words seem to exist mostly in the realm of metaphor rather than as descriptors of actual action actually occurring in anything so humdrum as reality. And so it is that, even as his bungling administration flounders in the turbulent waters of the Gulf, on the speaker’s podium the president still confidently sails forth deftly steering the ship through the narrow ribbon of sludge between the Scylla of sonorous banality and the Charybdis of gaseous uplift.

Two years ago this week, then-Senator Obama declared that his very nomination as Democratic-party presidential candidate (never mind his election, or inauguration) marked the moment when “our planet began to heal” and “the rise of the oceans began to slow.” “Well, when you anoint yourself King Canute,” remarked Charles Krauthammer the other day, “you mustn’t be surprised when your subjects expect you to command the tides.”

***
Is the president as serious as you once thought? “There are legitimate questions as to whether he’s out of his depth or not,” McCain says.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama’s stuck between Scylla and Charybdis.

Or…he’s stuck between Dumb and Dumber.

Either way, we’re scroomed if we don’t take serious measures come November.

Even with the best of outcomes, we’re going to feel the misery this fool and the fools that voted for him have inflicted upon us for a good while.

hillbillyjim on May 30, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Anybody who has spent a lot of time around lefties knew this was going to happen.

Rush said that O isn’t “cool” he’s “cold”, well that’s the way a lot of liberals are.

Some people make a big deal about his birth cert, if this guy had been born in St. Louis or, NY it still wouldn’t make him American.
He’s European not American. I don’t give a damn where he was born he isn’t one of us.

B Man on May 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM

The anti-Christ may be an over-hyperbolic description, but the anti-Reagan isn’t.

The Anti-American is just flat-out appropriate.

hillbillyjim on May 30, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Have you stopped smoking yet, daddy?

faraway on May 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Vince on May 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Ok, perhaps not so much a simile or metaphor but an allusion or reference. I was already knocked for the word choice by a fellow I know who is much brighter than I. He read the good doctor’s comments closely.

However, if you consider The One’s comments in context, Caligula is a more apposite chacterization and I used it in a post here. The thread related to the arch twit Klein from the TIME magazine twit tribe.

Canute lacked arrogance. On the other hand, in I, Claudius. for example, the Roman “God” Emperor went to war with Neptune and was therefore more like The One than poor King Canute.

IlikedAUH2O on May 30, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Or maybe President Potemkin.

hillbillyjim on May 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM

How severely demented and disgraceful is Frank Rich?

Very.

“The only good news from the oil spill is that when catastrophe strikes, even some hard-line conservatives, like Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, start begging for the federal government to act, and act big.”

aquaviva on May 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM

“Every day I see this leak Indonesian Imbecile continue I am angry and frustrated.”

Fixed it for me. See y’all in November.

platypus on May 30, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Obama is what happens when a marketing scheme raises expectations to unrealistic levels.

WordsMatter on May 30, 2010 at 6:05 AM

Tar, baby, tar.

Stepan on May 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM

The American Republic is greater than any man. It was true in Washington’s time, and it is true today. Obama’s values are out of step with American values. Americans won’t suffer tyrants, bullies or egomaniacs. Obama must change, but it’s not clear he is capable of changing.

WordsMatter on May 30, 2010 at 7:30 AM

The Anti-American is just flat-out appropriate.

hillbillyjim on May 30, 2010 at 2:05 AM

It’s a shame he isn’t the anti-Christ. At least then we would’ve had three and a half good years.

Squiggy on May 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM

They say the top drill is failing. What now? This whole thing is turning into a mess for the Gulf Coast, not just Obama. He is bit player in this debacle.

Terrye on May 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM

not just Obama. He is bit player in this debacle.

Terrye on May 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM

He’s sitting this one out. Maybe next time, though.

Squiggy on May 30, 2010 at 8:44 AM

The feds are an epic failure in the gulf, just like Katrina. Knowing BP was drilling deeper than has been done before, they weren’t prepared with enough equipment on hand to battle a catastrophe. BP is now going to do what they should have tried in the first place, cut the pipe cleanly and put a containment valve in place. I’m no expert, but that top kill idea didn’t sound as if it could contain the pressure from the well. There sure seems to be a lot of oil and gas under the gulf.

Kissmygrits on May 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM

This incompetent, jackass Marxist administration is continuing it’s relentless quest to physically, morally and spiritually destroy this once great Republic.

rplat on May 30, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I find myself hoping he’s really not a narcissist, because if he is, and what people who know have said about narcissism is true, things are about to get really dangerous. A normal person wouldn’t have to be a genius to be President, but they would have to know enough to hire people who are. In this case, this is not what happened. I am sure Obama picked people he knew and others were picked for him by people we’d just as soon not know. This is how you get people like Holder, Sebelius, Chu, etc. And now the media is belatedly realizing that these people really know nothing about the job they’re supposed to be doing. They start to criticise and insult the administration and Obama. I really don’t want to think about what might happen, but we’re almost there.

gordo on May 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM

From the Dana Milbank article on the oil spill:

The administration, he explained, “was in the process of making these reforms. But the point that I’m making is that obviously they weren’t happening fast enough. If they had been happening fast enough, this might have been caught.”

He decorated the East Room with wuddas, cuddas and shuddas: “We should have busted through those constraints. . . . pre-deploying boom would have been the right thing to do . . . I do think our efforts fell short. . . . They should have pushed them sooner. . . . I think that it took too long. . . . Where I was wrong was in my belief that the oil companies had their act together.”

The problem, Mr. President, is that you are hell-bent on the business of “fundamentally transforming America” instead of leading the country. You are too busy attacking states which resist your destructive policies – and cozying up to your presumptive “partners” – to defend our shores (literally, in this case).

And now the evidence of your incompetence and that of your selected grab bag o’ freaks is made hideously evident.

disa on May 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Man, that picture says it all.

He looks pathetically out of his league.

Saltysam on May 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Photo Caption:

“I know there’s lobster and caviar down there somewhere.”

Lourdes on May 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM

gordo on May 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Sorry Gordo, but you seem waaaaaaaaaay behind the game ball, here. Latent grasping of reality by the American electorate is the prime source of danger.

No, the media propped this guy up and deceived the electorate, because THEY really know nothing about what THEY are suppose to be doing. Now, they are just trying to save their own skins, because they see others eying the life boats. They’re still as clueless as the administration.

I really don’t want to think about what might happen, but we’re almost there.

This is the problem with so many in America, they will not observe and study history well enough to think what might happen, so they just react and run around in circles, in fear and ignorance.

Saltysam on May 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM

PATHETIC

IowaWoman on May 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM

This is how Political Correctness and Sympathy for Victim Status leads to Rose Colored Glasses and a Veil Over Your Eyes. If they had not watched with wishful hope that a Democrat could field a viable “clean” black Presidential Candidate, they may have been able to realize that this is the way he has ALWAYS been. It’s not new. It’s not a change. It the same old, same old Sen./Pres. Obama. They just wanted it to be different SO bad that they refused to see the Truth standing before their eyes.

Reminds me of El Rushbo and the McNabb incident. Leftist Sports Writers who want to be sympathetic to victim status in the dark of night and behind closed doors were saying exactly the same thing. It’s just you can’t be HONEST when your a Leftist. You must maintain the air of divide and conqueror no matter how much you realize it’s WRONG.

Sultry Beauty on May 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM

BTW== That’s one powerfully pathetic picture of Pres. Obama squatting on the beach on the front says. Like the say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sultry Beauty on May 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I wasn’t feeling it…

Charles Blow confuses “right” with inclination. This “self-professed aversion to appearing angry” is nowhere in sight when people criticize President Obama or try to hold him accountable. He is the very picture of ill temper when that happens.

But even if that were not the case, and even if he could summon interest in something other than himself, if Mr. Obama was a shadow of the gifted thinker/writer/orator/master empath that he is credited as being, he would not need theatrics. His words would be sufficient. But his speeches have become like the overly botoxed faces of actresses: unable to express the range of human emotion and experience without clunky “I am [insert emotion]” exposition.

Threshing Flora on May 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM

What did the liberal learn on the way to the beach?

The seas may not stop rising, but they may turn into a sticky goo.

Stepan on May 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Reminds me of Clinton at Normandy picking up the rock and setting it on the pre-stacked pile of rocks or how about visiting Arlington and … what? A lost flag away from its cross… how touching….. not.

CynicalOptimist on May 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Steyn is a WordSmith. Great writer.

And Krauthammer uses words like a surgeon uses a scalpel to incise a grangerous wound.

davidk on May 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

grangerous? hmm that’s why I’m a faceless HA commenter

davidk on May 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Oh looky, Hussein is making a sand castle… or perhaps he is digging for sand crabs.

Friendly21 on May 31, 2010 at 6:27 AM