Video: Don’t touch me

posted at 9:37 pm on May 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Something light to set you up for the holiday weekend. This is actually tough to watch, as you’ll quickly find yourself wanting to take a swing of your own at the blue-shirted twerp who simply won’t. stop. touching. the other guy, no matter how many times he tells him to. And just how many times is that? Via Nice Deb, dude:

Dan Noyes was doing an investigative report on San Francisco’s Laguna Honda Hospital. According to his reporting, the hospital administrators had been using the patient gift fund for extravagances like gourmet meals, barbecues and airline tickets for themselves and staff…

He notes the viral popularity of the clip, and says that commenters on his blog counted the number of times Slavin touched him, versus the number of times Noyes warned him to stop. “I think the final count was 41 for the pats, and 18 for the times where I said ‘Don’t touch me,’ so it was very odd.”

So, was Slavin ever in danger of having the Noyes brung on him? “Well, as a reporter, and as a professional, you have to act a certain way. Of course, as a guy, I wanted to push him, but I wasn’t going to do that because it really wasn’t personal, it was business to me. It was definitely frustrating, because I told him not to touch me, he kept on doing it, and that’s just wrong.”

I would have lost it after about 30 seconds. Exit question: Is there some sort of PR strategy to this moron’s antagonism? Goad the reporter into grabbing him by the throat and then that becomes the story instead of the investigation? Or does this guy just have OCD or something?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m sorry but when I see a little guy get in the way of a big dude towering over a little woman when the huge dude is bully question her I tend to have respect for the little guy.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM

mike/mark needs a serious adjustment of his personal space boundaries. Kudos to that reporter, I assume he is somewhat used to such aberrant behavior and he did a good job of maintaining his composure, I would have grabbed his “touchy hand” after the 3rd request and crushed his fingers. Looks like a typical smarmy/sleazy ploy to distract the attention from the real issue which is theft and corruption.

NY Conservative on May 29, 2010 at 7:52 AM

i would have punched him.

sarainitaly on May 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM

I simple strong shove would have worked. One that would have put him on his ass.

Static on May 29, 2010 at 8:09 AM

I didn’t see the reporter as being all that annoying-he’s just doing his job. The other guy is a creep. The smiling face of tyranny? He strikes me as a government worker deaf, dumb, and blind to all.

Alfresco on May 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM

That’s a PR guy? What a freaking jerk! That guy is so dangerous. I think he actually broke a law there. You do not lay your hands on someone like that especially after being repeatedly told not to. That reporter was just doing his job. That PR guy is a moron who should be fired. He’s going to get his employers into a heck of a lot of trouble if that is the way he deals with people.

JellyToast on May 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Looks like the PR guy was trying to set up Noyes to look hysterical. If you showed up at the townhall meeting (and obviously hadn’t seen the video), and you notice Noyes having a hissy fit – who looks like the nut job?

rock the casbah on May 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

After you say “Don’t touch me” more than two or three times it just becomes a joke. The blue shirt guy was obviously trying to pick a fight on camera and Noyes should have shoved him back hard.
In my opinion he was well within his right to punch that guy in the face.

NeoKong on May 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Two cases for assault. One for touching the reporter multiple times and one for striking the camera-person. The reporter did the right thing and he has it all on tape. Furthermore, Slavin has no countersuit due to Noyes’ restraint.

Now, while the communications liaison did achieve the designed objective of getting the meeting dismissed based on his own manufactured incident, it’s a short-term win in the bigger war. One, the video has gone viral and invited extra scrutiny for the hospital administration on an issue that probably wouldn’t have brought much public attention. Two, the public gets a spectacular view of how the hospital personnel behaves – from the chairwoman who permits such ridiculous interference to Slavin the Toucher repeatedly assaulting the press to the unnamed staff member giving a teammate an “attaboy” for the proactive sabotage of a public meeting. And three, Noyes or his employer have foundation for a legal suit that looks like a slam dunk.

Slavin and the hospital will lose both in a court of justice and the court of public opinion. Noyes’ professionalism as exhibited in spite of human nature to retributive assault deserves kudos. That hospital now has even more to worry about. The press wins.

AnonymousDrivel on May 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Mark Slavin is a problem. His grabbing the camera tells us his agenda. When the “Communications director” (in real terms that is the guy that writes the hospital newsletter)
Is trying to mess this up, he has an agenda.

They have ripped off the patient charity fund and spent it lavishly on key employees. Perverts have no self control. Real companies have comments in their handbooks on harrassment. If one says no, creates a boundary ar rejects an advance, it stops then and there. Yhousands have seen this. One youtube site was running 6,000 hits an hour till it was removed.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 9:29 AM

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Are you kidding?

Those people knew exactly what they were doing when they set up an open hearing. All were welcome, including the press. And if Little Miss Babydoll wants to be in the hot seat, she can’t be taken seriously as a professional one minute, and then go all Girlie on everybody in the next. The reporter was no threat to her in any way, shape, or form. She knows that. SHE does this for a living; HE does this for a living. Duh.

Mr Passive Aggressive, on the other hand, cannot put his hands on people who tell him HANDS OFF, over and over again. It was an almost clever tactic, though, until he went bonkers on the camera. He is now immortalized across the internet, as a constant source of amusement, and for the little worm that he is.

Trust me, Mr PA is already polishing his resumé, if for no other reason than what is termed “losing control of the message.”

manwithblackhat on May 29, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Only an idiot would continue touching and violating boundaries on camera. This is San Francisco. where has Mark Slavin had his hands?

The TV station has more than 1 video and a blog and explanation.

The fund they ripped off was for treats and little favors for long term patients that have no money.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Do NOT post Slavin’s contact information, please. I don’t want the site being used to harass people.

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:15 PM

So now what am I going to do all weekend?

SagebrushPuppet on May 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Earlier I posted the link to the tv station.
The investigations of corruption are a small part of the stations reporting. They reported a lesbian JR college director that hired and paid her “partner” and did so against ethics policies. After the investigation she was fired. This Laguna Honda Hospital was cheating ultra poor patients out of a fund for treats, favors and snacks set up by employees. Since this hospital is public, it is more difficuult to raise donations from wills and estates. This exposure of abuse of fundraising is very expensive.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM

After the the first warning, it becomes the crime of battery (unwanted touching of a person).

After about the 5th warning, my knee would’ve found it’s way straight up into his groin.

Mahdi on May 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Seven beat me to it. But the little guy and the little women were stealing from the very very poor. They mostly treat people with spinal cord injuries. It’s bad enough waking up and being paralyzed from the waist or neck down, then on top of it, having the money used to provide you a few amenities ripped off.

Blake on May 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Devil’s advocacy, perhaps, but why blindly believe the accusation from ABC? Have the outraged posters here seen ONE piece of evidence either for or against the accusation? Now, I know the MSM would never lie or anything, but…

bofh on May 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM

seven on May 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Wow. At first I thought this was the same college chancellor who hired her lesbian lover and got in trouble for it and then jumped off a tall building. This is a different one who took all these vacations with her lesbian lover.

Blake on May 29, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I would not want to touch the bully news guy. I would just slap the spoiled brat silly.

Obviously, he was trying to incite a confrontation when he did not get his way with the young lady. The Manager was trying to protect his client in a polite manner.

Not wanting to touched was an excuse to intimidate the manager. I’ve had similar run ins when the media became too aggressive and demanded that I do not do something because it violated their rights, without any regards for the rights of those they are trying the report on.

confronted with bulling a

MSGTAS on May 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

bofh on May 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM

It’s not an accusation. If I remember correctly, they co-mingled the funds with another account which is usually a big no-no, so they could siphon it off. There was some kind of independent audit. The hospital said they would stop doing it. But, I don’t think that’s enough.

Blake on May 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM

MSGTAS on May 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

True. First I thought, he’s bullying the little woman. Then I thought he’s bullying the little guy. Then I thought the little guy is fkg weird and crossing a line. Then when I found what the hospital was doing and how the little people were running interference for it, I thought, Smack ‘em, reporter. Smack ‘em real good!

Blake on May 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Blake on May 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Yep, saw it the same way.

hawkdriver on May 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM

It looked like the administrator in the background was enjoying the show…right up to when she strted getting questions again. Where is the SFPD? Wasn’t this fraud?

gitarfan on May 29, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Is this The Week of the Creepy Guy? First Sarah Palin’s neighbor and now Pat McFeely. I need a shower.

BitterClinger on May 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I only wish it had been me.

It would have been worth the lawyer’s fees and maybe even a stretch of time to have beaten that creep into unconsciousness.

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM

This is what pepper spray is for.

Kralizec on May 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Touching the reporter repeatedly was the plan. I’m sure that the annoying little twerp was trying to get the reporter to pound him…in other words, I’ll sacrifice a bloody nose so that my corrupt colleagues can get off the hook.

If the stewards of a hospital charity fund can spend donated money on personal vices without flinching, imagine the trillions of money our government collects and spends without flinching…

The American people need to stand up and take the money back!

mcra99 on May 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM

On another thread I mistakenly referred to the hospital administrator as a politician. She isn’t but she probably learned her tactics (and those of her mini-me) from watching politicians.

Extrafishy on May 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Second warning- then, POW!

profitsbeard on May 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

“Tragedy today at San Francisco’s Laguna Honda Hospital, where Channel 7′s Akzed ripped the arm off of hospital communications director Mark Slavin, who died of massive blood loss and embarrassment. Film at 11.”

Akzed on May 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Mark the Meeting Coordinator went beyond flak-catching for the director and way way over into the area of creepy. From what you can see, Slavin reaches out to touch Noyes on the shoulder and then repeatedly continues to touch him after Noyes tells him to stop. After Noyes brushes his hand away, Slavin changes hands and tries to touch Noyes on the other shoulder (but stops first). And his explanation was lame: “Just to very gently say hello.” Um, helllooo? Did you notice that the very first time he touched Noyes, he actually appeared to try to turn Noyes’ shoulder away from the director. Then he does the pat-pat-pat stuff, which was really too strange.

I’m a bit surprised by how many people defend Slavin and perceive Noyes as the instigator and bully. I suppose that If, on the other hand, Slavin had been wearing a Roman collar, he’d have been burned in the public square.

CO2MAKER on May 29, 2010 at 11:41 AM

The reporter is seen and heard asking this woman if he can have an interview after the townhall meeting. He first asked to speak before, but when she said she didn’t have time, he asked if he could talk afterwords. I have no love for the media, but this hospital is accused of stealing money from a charity and spending it on themselves. This reporter was just doing his job. He came to a public meeting and asked for an interview. That’s the way it works. This is not the way you handle a news reporter, or anyone else for that matter. If their are accusations, you should expect public questions and be able to handle a reporter.

JellyToast on May 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM

My home state of Indiana has a law against ‘touching with malice’–a low-level misdemeanor not considered battery–which seems to cover this situation. Surprised California doesn’t have the equivalent on its books.

troyriser_gopftw on May 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM

It seems obvious to me that the guy wanted them to react to his touching so they could claim they were there to disrupt the meeting. Even after he didn’t get the kind of reaction he wanted he started claiming that they couldn’t continue the meeting because they were being disruptive.

Kelli_D on May 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Slavin responds:

Update, 4:30 p.m.: Slavin replied to our messages querying why he behaved in this manner via the following e-mail:

I don’t have much interest in rehashing the exchange with Mr. Noyes. He was intent on disrupting a public meeting rather than scheduling an interview. Even when we did sit down to speak he summarily disregarded our very straightforward presentation of the facts regarding the gift fund accounts. (I’d be happy to send send those facts to you as an attachment if you supply your email, or you can find them on lagunahonda.org.)

Mr. Noyes’ disregard for the facts — the clear legality and appropriate use of the funds — resulted in an unfortunate report on the air, which obviously supplied more “gotcha” drama than any legitimate examination of hospital practices. I understand we’re not the first target of Mr. Noyes’ bullying tactics, and likely won’t be the last.

Ugly on May 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Look, the reporter was being a little aggressive. I think the initial touching might be justified as a way to intervene and get the reporter to back off until after the meeting.

But then it kept going on. And after the reporter requested Mark stop. Then he continued touching the reporter after he wasn’t talking to the woman anymore. It was clearly a confrontational act.

I wonder if Mark might belong to the school of thought that touching someone is a way to establish dominance. I’ve actually had some idiot try to tell me that once, that gently touching someone on the shoulder, especially if the don’t like being touched, is a way to establish dominance without violence. I told the guy who told me that, that he was an idiot and going to get pounded one of these days.

Way I see it Mark should have gotten a bloody nose, and the police should not have to be involved at all.

Sackett on May 29, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Subways install cameras to discourage subway groping.
Mark is guilty of unwanted advances. He even followed the reporter out of the room and kept patting his back. Jostling is another way creeps show power and refuse to respect the space of others. And they do it so often in life that they act shocked when caught and told to STOP.
Mark’s boss offered a hand shake and did not touch or grope the reporter.Laguna Honda has an issue to deal with. If they want to resore the patints charity for treats and little gifts, they will have to get the trust breakers out of the way.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Seems like deliberate provocation to me, to try and get the reporter to do something stupid. Not that I’m fond of reporters, but that hospital guy is a creepy little bully.

RebeccaH on May 29, 2010 at 3:56 PM

It’s generally called assault.

Of course, the reporter should have patted the antagonist on the head, Benny Hill style.

I R A Darth Aggie on May 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM

LIVELEAK is a group of VIDEO PIRATES. They have stolen one of my YouTube videos, removed business info including my donation info and as a result are causing me daily monetary damage. Now these video pirates demand I follow proper procedure to file a copyright violation. I understand they are in the UK.

You don’t have to believe me

Original here:
Pirate here:

Guess I need a Barrister?

deedtrader on May 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

The above video is also stolen.. it RIGHTFULLY belongs to ABC7 KGO-TV.

I have been a member here for years, and am sure you guys are not aware.

But I would hope you would not promote a pirate organization.

deedtrader on May 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM

What would have been really fun would have been for the reporter to have turned the table and put a bear-hug on Slavin along with a series of really sloppy kisses to his face. Then he could have begun love tapping Slavin while breathing into his nose and mouth from about 1″ away…all while squeezing tighter and tighter…smiling all the while.

PD Quig on May 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

The big goon reporter invaded that lady’s personal space first. She said she didn’t want to talk to him then, or after the meeting. The little guy came to her rescue and then had some fun aggravating the goon. Once they walked into the next room, the goon reporter got in the little guy’s face major league- but he wouldn’t let him intimidate him. Then, after the meeting, the goon got in his face again. The bully reporter wasn’t used to people standing up to him. I loved it.

jimboster on May 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM

O.k. The guy’s incessant touching is annoying. What’s more annoying is that speaker in the background saying Gary Colemand was born in IllinoiS. The “S” is silent! Argh!!!!!!!

Rightwingguy on May 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

deedtrader on May 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM

How do you know this video AP posted is a pirated video? I would think “Salem” would be in hot water legally if HA was part of using pirated videos.

katy on May 29, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Blake on May 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM

So I ask again, where is there evidence or proof that the hospital was inappropriately spending money meant for the patients. Co-mingling was wrong and stupid, but an accurate audit would be needed to tell where the money actually went, and I can’t find that on the web. Have you seen it?

bofh on May 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM

bofh on May 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The docs know the fund was abused. Here is the 8 minute complete version. They were told the gift fund was bankrupt. It was understood it had a million dollars./ No money for fres tacos for hispanic patients but expensive catering for staff. Steeling from bed ridden patients is as low as it goes.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM

The 8 minute version of cheating the patient funds. This explains why the hospital department was investigated and why Mark Slavin tried to create a scene and then they could avoid question. Selfish and horrible people rip off a charity that gives birthday gifts, treats, a candy bar, a soda or some other small token to people who have nothing.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Thank you for the link. It’s hardly an impartial presentation of the facts, however. ABC7 (BTW, your nik “seven” doesn’t relate to that, does it?) very much has a dog in this fight, and the choppy editing of the Slavin interview is a good indication of this.

If their accusations are borne out by the state investigation that they mention, then yes, this was really crappy behavior by the hospital administration. And I’ve run up against scummy hospital administrators before, so it’s certainly not outside of the realm of possibility.

OTOH, I’m not prepared to take Mr. Don’t-touch-me’s word for any of it, including the story about termination of the doctors.

bofh on May 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I am glad i put up the link to the TV station. It has a lot of posts from hospital workers filling in the details of how the staff raided the patient donations. I also like how on the blog a hospital worker posted fresh and recent changes to the policy rules to aid in the cover up.
Thanks for the investigation. all the raided funds have been ordered to be restored. Donations are down 70%.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 11:45 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Are you biased against taller people? Some folks presuppose larger people are both bad and bullies.

How about the bed ridden? They are the ones that had donations to them raided. They can’t jump out of bed and chase down Mivic Hirose who is far to superior to discuss these stolen donations if she doesn’t want to.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Seriously? This little guy’s “pat, pat”… “pat, pat” was INTENTIONAL and intrusive! The repoter was NO threat, and the small d-bag was being passive agressive with his “pat, pat” …”pat, pat” actions. I’d have knocked him out!

MsUnderestimated on May 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I would have held his nose and squeezed hard.

FierceGuppy on May 30, 2010 at 2:50 AM

OK. So the “evidence” presented so far is the ABC7 hit-piece, and posts on ABC7′s own blog. And that blog contains what appears to be a strongly-contrasting mixture of pro-and con- sock puppet statements. Cherry-picking blog posts from unknown sources is hardly convincing evidence.

bofh on May 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Well, that shows that you are nothing but a raging size-ist and reverse sexist!

Huckabye-Romney on May 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Jeez…that was fun and so easy. Much better than actually trying to work out some rational argument!

Huckabye-Romney on May 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I think after the tenth time of saying don’t touch me, and nothing happens, it is pretty clear to Mr Blueshirt that he can touch him all day.

keep the change on May 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Sort of like how every dictator and thug sees the United Nations.

booyah!!

tai-pan on May 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I hope charges have been filed by the reporter.

tai-pan on May 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I agree , you are sorry . The reporter needs to have some “people” , who in no way look like his people .

borntoraisehogs on May 31, 2010 at 12:49 AM

At the 58 to 59 second mark the reporter turns around mouthed the word “asshole” out of the corner of his mouth. Watch carefully.

Kokonut on May 29, 2010 at 4:32 AM

He doesn’t just “mouth” it. They muted the sound.

Chuck on May 31, 2010 at 9:06 AM

After repeated warnings like that, I would have broken his hand or arm, no question, then called the cops to arrest him, and fully prosecute him.

riverrat10k on May 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM