Quotes of the day

posted at 10:50 pm on May 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

The campaign, called the Sound Strike, has been organized by Zack de la Rocha, the lead singer of the rap metal band Rage Against the Machine, and is endorsed by English-language rock and rap performers like Massive Attack, Kanye West, Conor Oberst, Sonic Youth and Joe Satriani. But the signatories also include Spanish-speaking reggaetón artists and Los Tigres del Norte, perhaps the most popular and influential exponent of Mexican regional music in the United States.

In an open letter initiating the campaign, Mr. de la Rocha, whose father is Mexican-American, wrote, “Fans of our music, our stories, our films and our words can be pulled over and harassed every day because they are brown or black, or for the way they speak, or for the music they listen to.” He added, “Some of us grew up dealing with racial profiling, but this law (SB 1070) takes it to a whole new low.”

***
Others have claimed that the law is unconstitutional because it will encourage racial profiling. While that seems certain to be the effect in practice, that’s a hard claim to prove in court. The law, which the Arizona legislature revised for this very reason, now explicitly states that police may not consider race as a factor in determining whom to question. Individuals stopped because of their race will have a civil rights lawsuit against the officer, but it’s not clear the law itself—rather than the misapplication of the law by officers—is the problem.

If the Department of Justice files suit, the chances of Arizona’s law being invalidated increase significantly. The president is in change of enforcing federal immigration laws and if he claims Arizona’s law is inconsistent with federal policy, the courts are more likely to listen. Justice lawyers might argue, for example, that Arizona law will force the federal government to expend resources processing the large number of illegal aliens caught in Arizona that the federal government would prefer to spend elsewhere, like securing the border. That kind of argument is harder for private civil rights groups like the ACLU to make persuasively.

Arizona’s new immigration law deserves to be consigned to the historical dustbin. But if the Obama administration stays on the sidelines, don’t be surprised if the federal courts refuse to send it there.

***
Conservatives’ most important responsibility is to remember to protect freedom, liberty and the rights of every citizen. The Arizona immigration law doesn’t do that, and that’s why I oppose it.

I am proud that the GOP has been the party in which freedom has always mattered. We are a party whose members are willing to stand up for liberty because we believe that freedom matters and that it works.

As the wise saying goes, he who sacrifices freedom for security ends up with neither.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What does Cass Sunstein say?

Inanemergencydial on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Obama, is that you?

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Imagine if large segments of American society were demanding another country stop enforcing it borders and let over a million people cross illegally every year.

manofaiki on May 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Is this a typo?
====================================================
During World War II,

while a German American hero and

future president — Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower — led the allied forces in Europe, this country put Japanese Americans in detention camps. That outrage was wrong. We destroyed lives and undermined the very fabric of our Constitution

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Really? So 18-year-olds don’t have to show a driver’s license anymore if they want to buy beer?

ddrintn on May 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM

What does Cass Sunstein say?

Inanemergencydial on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Nudge

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Turn out the lights and throw the deadbolt as you leave.

thomasaur on May 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I couldn’t tell you how often I’ve been asked for my driver’s license and SocSec card.

ddrintn on May 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

i’d like obama to show me his papers.

reliapundit on May 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Why conservatives should oppose Arizona’s immigration law
By Connie Mack
Friday, May 28, 2010
============================
=============================

Wait a tic,I just did a quick google,Dwight D Eisenhower
was born in Texas,was school did Connie Mack go to!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM

It think the best way for them to protest is to refuse to show ID to police when asked.

exception on May 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

While that seems certain to be the effect in practice (racial profiling), that’s a hard claim to prove in court.

Yeah, but it won’t stop the liberals from flat “making shit up”. After all, their motives are ‘honest and pure’.

So all those RACIST cops in Arizona are going to spend ALL their time, hassling 30% of their population? Yeah, that will happen.

GarandFan on May 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Whenever American law enforcement doesn’t ask for your ID, in a case where they have reason to talk to you–a case of public intoxication for example–they’re the only law enforcement in the World that don’t ask for it every time.

RBMN on May 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

The people that oppose AZ’s new immigration law lament the fall of the Iron Curtain and the Berlin Wall.

They can STFU and GTFO.

Inanemergencydial on May 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

LOL…which, of course, would be an absolute lie.

ddrintn on May 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Vell,my Canadian Beavers vill demandz herr paperenzees
atz zee Americanzee/Canadianzee borderenzz,andz maybenzee
herr birth certifatenzee forz safenzee measurenzee!!
(snarkenzee).

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Anger about the economy, increased crime and security concerns are fueling this law, not constitutional principles.

Does Mack see the disconnect in this logic? The AZ law is precisely about constitutional principles and protecting the rights of every legal citizen.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

manofaiki on May 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Usually we are asking other countries to let their own citizens OUT (Cuba, USSR, China, and etc.)!

That, however, is conveniently forgotten…

FloridaBill on May 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM

If the federal government would do their damn job then they wouldn’t have to waste taxpayer dollars suing anyone. Enforce the law. And I have to show my “papers” on a regular basis for “security” so don’t hand me that garbage.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Damned the bad luck!
Just applied for a mortgage and had to provide my last two years’ tax returns, all my 1099s, bank and brokerage statements, and copies of my last two commission checks.
Thank God, no one asked me to prove my citizenship! it would suck if I had to produce my papers, or anything.

Chewy the Lab on May 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM

OK, let’s imagine a typical scenario for which the AZ law applies: Sven Svensen (see I’m not profiling Mexicans in my example!) gets pulled over for speeding, looks scared, and doesn’t speak English. So the cop asks to see his DL, SSN card, passport, anything. This violates Sven’s “freedom, liberty, and rights” how, exactly?

KS Rex on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

During World War II, while a German American hero and future president — Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower –
====================================================
So,I hate to milk this,but does this make
Gen.Dwight Eisenhower,

a spy!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

My lord! Doesn’t anyone read the damn law?

Vince on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

That’s it! Connie Mack is out of the tent!

TXMomof3 on May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Connie Mack IV, Florida’s 14th Congressional District:

83.8% White
9.0% Hispanic
5.1% Black
0.7% Asian
0.2% Native American

Uh, huh.

Tell you what, pal…. why not you and Mary first move the family from your lily-white gated community into a 2 bedroom apartment on Sherman Way in Van Nuys then get back to us.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

They can STFU and GTFO.

Inanemergencydial on May 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Inanemergencydial: I don’t know how much more of stupid I
can take,and you my American neighbour
must be in a zone of your own,especially
the Japanese part,and we did it as well
in Canada,because,DUH,they were the ene
my!!—————:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM

The whole “ask for your papers” argument is revealing. This boils down to the individual’s submission or defiance to the governing authority and laws. For example, I live on a military base now and I make sure I have my military ID with me at all times, just in case. I live here and I’m compliant to their authority. Plus, I have nothing to hide and have a clear conscience. Having this type of ID is a privilege, not a burden.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

They lie because the end justifies the means. Common sense is the enemy of liberals. It’s too…vulgar, I guess.

disa on May 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM

My lord! Doesn’t anyone read the damn law?

Vince on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Vince:How about history,my gut said,Gen.Dwight Eisenhower
wasn’t a German,but I had to google,just to be sure
I was sane!!:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I really don’t know why there is so much objection to the Arizona law. It mirrors the Federal law in every way, and in some ways, it’s even more restrictive than the Federal law.

OK, I know it’s easy to for the illiterate to criticize what they only heard from rumors and innuendo, but if you’ve never lived in Arizona, then how can you relate?

Yet, China accuses Arizona of Human Rights violations???

Can anyone say Tibet?

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

So,I hate to milk this,but does this make
Gen.Dwight Eisenhower,

a spy!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

So stop! I am supposedly German-American because my ancestors are from…guess where?

Vince on May 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Hey, I lived in a two-bedroom apartment on Sherman Way in Van Nuys! ROFL!

disa on May 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Seeing Satriani on the list bums me because he’s a good guitarist but personally I could give a rats azz about any rap, hip-hop, or spanish speaking reggaetón artists, give me Led Zep or Ted Nugent anyday! I’m sure Ted Nugent would still love to play here in AZ, as for the Sound Strike artists, those posers can all KISS MY AZZ…because an AZ man don’t need them around anyhow!!!!

Liberty or Death on May 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM

My lord! Doesn’t anyone read the damn law?

Vince on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Demagoguery is time consuming. There’s time left to read the bill. Governor Brewer’s ad was perfect.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 11:22 PM

This will be met with some form of resistence,and thanks to a sitting President,who is an ACTIVIST and SUPPORTS LA
RAZA!

They believe,Obama is on their side!
====================================================
Exhibit “A”
————-

Senator Barack Obama’s Remarks at the 2008 Annual Conference

===============================

Obama speaks at La Raza Event

==============================================

That video,needs to be in an RNC AD,and real soon!!!!!!

It speaks for itself!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Maybe I’m a little bit odd, because I’m in the military, and thus carry my ID card everywhere I go, but is carrying ID really that big a deal for some people?

Also, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve spoken to cops that wasn’t a traffic stop, car accident, or asking directions. So naturally I qualify those things as times when I would interact with a cop. Aside from asking directions, I’ve been asked to provide ID just to prove I’m not giving a false name and address.

So I guess my question is, why is SB 1070 a big deal when a cop is going to ask for ID in the course of normal police business anyway?

Sgt Steve on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Ugh, there’s no time left to read the bill.

Preview is my friend.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Hey, I lived in a two-bedroom apartment on Sherman Way in Van Nuys! ROFL!

disa on May 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

So how many gunshot wounds do you have?

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I love Satriani’s music, but now he’s kind of sullied for me. I guess he’s too busy with his music to pay attention to politics.

Yeah, right. Damn.

disa on May 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are asked “Where are your papers?” We are better than that.’

I got a green card that was given to me by the INS when I became a legal resident. I’m pretty sure is not a souvenir, and even though I’m no lawyer and also pretty sure that there’s a federal law somewhere that requires that I carry it with me and show it to the proper authorities if they demand it.

That’s why I don’t get what the fuzz with the Arizona law…

ujorge on May 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Is it November yet.

Lets again go to the happy place and think this would not have been a problem under a McCain/Palin Administration but we got stuck with a Marxist/Radical regime

Is it November yet or better yet is is January 2011 yet.

tjexcite on May 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM

So how many gunshot wounds do you have?

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Wow, has it gotten that bad? I lived there (near Hazeltine) from 1980-1984. Moved the day before the Olympics.

disa on May 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Our “elites” and our “betters” and our “celebrities” in their own minds and other open-border fanatics have become very unnerved by what’s going on in Arizona and much of the rest of America as people are finally standing up for themselves and their country and they make no end of noise telling us just how no good we are.

It’s either “We are the World” or you are an evil racist. If they don’t get their way their kindergarten level attempts at blackmail just don’t stop.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Liberty or Death on May 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Liberty or Death: StrangleHold,most appropriate,and
I’ve been fortunate to see Ten Nugent
live,my ears rang for almost two days,
next time,ear plugs!:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM

It already happens every day (especially at the border) and the Fed actually needs no reason to ask.

CWforFreedom on May 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Exactly. By not protecting the borders, Obambi and his crew are threatening our freedoms, liberty, and citizens. Or does he consider illegal aliens to be citizens?

rmgraha on May 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I stand with Arizona and I am a proud American. Our laws are for our protection. Illegals have damn near taken over California. Every morning I go out and pick up bottles broken and trash in my yard. We have Mexicans in our family who are legal and have never been harassed by the police, We live in an area that is about 50percent legal and 50 percent illegal. I would like to live in Arizona but we have our business here and are too old to start over. We are getting close to 85 and 90 years Went to grammar school, high school and raised our children in this house.

dragondrop on May 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Is it November yet.

Is it November yet or better yet is is January 2011 yet.

tjexcite on May 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Remember, remember, come this November
The festering heat they have brought
‘Tis no reason why their assault on Americans
Should ever be forgiven or forgot

All you who think you can lord over us
You who give us the smack of your rod
Soon now we will rend you to bits
We will give you the Judgment of God!

PercyB on May 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Well, if the president’s policy is to ignore the leak in the border as it gushes illegals into the nation creating a huge slick of criminals from coast to coast, then Arizona enforcing the law would be inconsistent with federal policy.

agmartin on May 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Let me add one more condition to that list for Mr. Mack. When you look at the faces of your 3 young nieces or nephews at their father’s funeral, who was killed by an illegal alien drunk driver, maybe then you’ll wish that you lived in a nation where you were asked “where are your papers”. I rest my case, one that I lived through.

TxAnn56 on May 28, 2010 at 11:37 PM

The Arizona legislature is also onto the “multicultural” masquerade – the anti-American grievance and division and hate industry pretending to be “education.”

Their party time is over. They are getting desperate.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM

What I find strange and odd about the debate of immigration,
is confusion,yes there was immigration into the USA,and hea
ring this line of my parents and their parents immigrated to
America,and yes that was true!

But,in came from legal immigration from Ellis Island,through
New York,and if your health checked out you were good to go.

But listening to the wingnuts,the Left that is,they don’t
want illegals to go through the legal,legitimate route,
they want amnesty,and amnesty is the little dirty rotten
secret that will allow Liberal to increase their voting
base!

And the Left are going to play their demonization game
against the right,and paint the Republican Party,and
November looms,as well as 2012!!

The right needs to get an a plan ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I thought DailyBeast bloggers were supposed to be the best and brightest. Could the author perhaps enlighten me as to how processing illegal aliens is NOT securing the border?

/The stupid is strong in this one

AZfederalist on May 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM

disa on May 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Let’s put it this way… you couldn’t shout “la migra” on the street now without creating a stampede of panic.

Thankfully, I live in nearby Valley Village but my work is in Van Nu….err..ahh…excuse me…I mean “Lake Balboa”.

They’ve turned this whole side of the valley into the same kind of depressed, poverty-stricken looking toilet that they’ve worked so hard to escape from.

Though I will say that people with houses definitely take more pride in them than those who live in apartment dwellings. There are still a lot of nice homes with working class families.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve driven past a ghettoized, graffiti-covered apartment building and thought to myself, “thank god I don’t live there”.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

TxAnn56 on May 28, 2010 at 11:37 PM

These people are total narcissists who have no concern whatsoever for either of you or your families or for America or Americans. Probably not much at all for the illegals either whom they see mainly as props for their egos and low paid servants. All they care about is their own self-righteous mental masturbation.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I can’t recall the part of the Constitution that talks about “encouraging racial profiling.” Looks like I’ll have to give it a good re-read.

29Victor on May 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I live in Western Washington and we’ve been having the exact same problem here for the last decade or two. Except it’s not Mexicans, it’s Californians ;).

29Victor on May 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM

My friend abandoned her house in North Hollywood in 1996 because she was afraid to live there and couldn’t find a buyer. I wonder if she ever sold it.

I’ve lived a lot of places and when you go back years later there are always changes, but that doesn’t sound like a place I’d return to.

disa on May 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM

It should be clear that B. Obama and his friends are waging a propaganda war on the citizens of the United States to destabilize existing society and set one group of people against another. Should this succeed, Obama will be appearing on TV promising to restore peace to the nation if only we will give him the means to accomplish that.

Hail Caesar. Hail Emperor Obama.

Skandia Recluse on May 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM

/The stupid is strong in this one

AZfederalist on May 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Dare I say overwhelming.

chemman on May 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Except it’s not Mexicans, it’s Californians ;).

29Victor on May 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM

LOL…

My brother got the same look of suspicion when he moved from here to Bosie, Idaho.

But once he explained that he wasn’t a dirty, filthy, hippie liberal… they welcomed him with open arms.

The Ugly American on May 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM

29Victor on May 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Sorry about the d*mm liberals that moved your way. I am a transplanted Californian here in Arizona. I am a member of all the conservative groups in my area. They are glad to have me.

chemman on May 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are killed in their own homes because illegals are not prosecuted because they are illegals

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are raped because illegals are not deported even when they are serial rapists with a long rap-sheet

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are denied public benefits even when they are hurting economically because illegals and their anchor-babies are always found to be more entitled to them

I do not want to live in a nation where an American citizen goes to jail for commiting identity fraud, but illegals are not only not prosecuted for the same crime, they are expected to have multiple stolen identities

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens pay when they have a car-accident but illegals have no obligation to even have insurance

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are denied medical care if they have a job but no insurance, but illegals get every care they want because they have no job and no insurance

I don’t want to live in a nation where American citizens see their pre-teen kids being beaten up in school , by illegal alien gangbangers who never leave school even when they are 20

I don’t want to live in a nation where American citizens have their credit history ruined when they default on their house/creditcard payments but illegals just get another loan and credit card on another name

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are checked out for their crimes in other jurisdictions but illegals are exempt because they are illegals

I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are punished if they hire illegals using fake SS# and American citizens are punished for firing illegals who use fake SS#

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

So,I hate to milk this,but does this make
Gen.Dwight Eisenhower,

a spy!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM
====================================

Vince on May 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Vince: I’m going to bet,the German side of Sweden!!
(I’m kidding):)

canopfor on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

All they care about is their own self-righteous mental masturbation.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Too funny. You must have taken a chemistry class from me at some point. That was favorite term for waking the daydreaming students up.

chemman on May 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

That was favorite term for waking the daydreaming students up.

chemman on May 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Now you know very well that I only slept in your class that one time. Well, maybe twice, but that was it!

Tav on May 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Very well said!!! +1

TXMomof3 on May 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Why would Obama be against “show me your papers & prove you are American”?

Zorgon on May 29, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Yeah, that’s another part of town I try to avoid.

Not because it’s full of illegals but rather self-righteous liberals, insufferable hipsters and generally-obnoxious industry types.

For example, check out the new NoHo “Arts” District sign ….simply horrid.

Reminds me of something out of L.A. Story.

The Ugly American on May 29, 2010 at 12:19 AM

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM
========================================
Very well said!!! +1

TXMomof3 on May 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM

TXMomof3: I second that,it should be framed!:)

canopfor on May 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Hey Joe Satriani I used to respect you, I used to buy your CD’s, never again, and your new Chickenfoot, you guys can go to he11…

doriangrey on May 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM

“Conservatives’ most important responsibility is to remember to protect freedom, liberty and the rights of every citizen.”

Citizens? Yeah! I’m with you on that.

But, how much security and treasure should the citizens of a republic be forced to sacrifice in order to tend to the needs of millions of peasants illegally-streaming across the borders?

Hmm? What 8 billion people around the world? Should they be allowed to barge in and enjoy the freedoms of the good-ole USA?

shorebird on May 29, 2010 at 12:24 AM

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Very well said!!! +1

TXMomof3 on May 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Macncheez took his vorpal sword in hand
Long time the Mackxome foe he sought
So rested he by an old oak tree
And stood awhile in thought

And as in thought he stood
The Conniecon bird wanting American to put to flame
Came whiffling through the tugly wood
And burbled slanders as it came!

One, two!
Red, White and Blue!
Macncheez’s vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left the Connniecon bird’s attacks dead, and with it’s head
He went galatphing back

Cheshire Cat on May 29, 2010 at 12:28 AM

The above quote and the Thomas Jefferson quote below are both saying essentially the same thing and that is our constitution is not a suicide pact, while the constitution is important survival needs trump all other needs, but the liberal left are too blinded by their ideology to see this truth and/or they DON’T WANT our nation to survive!

Very wise words indeed, and below are more words of wisdom from Thomas Jefferson:

“Strict observance of the written law is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to the written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the ends to the means.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Liberty or Death on May 29, 2010 at 12:29 AM

“Law abiding, illegal immigrants…”

LOL!!!

Just FYI. It was posted on a news site. One of the funniest quotes I’ve seen today. The bad news is that this is part of Obama’s (and the progressive) ideology. They seem to think that there is such a thing as “Law abiding, illegal immigrants.”

shorebird on May 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Hot Air every day sounds more and more like Daily Kos and less like anything resembling a conservative thought. They seem to quote more and more from the New York Times and The Washington Post then any other sources. AP is definitely in the bag protecting and promoting liberals.

Was this a condition that Word Press placed upon this blog? Is this opinion for hire?

Jdripper on May 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Why is it so difficult to understand that a society based on law and not on a man’s place in society is directly undermined by refusing to enforce immigration laws.

You either have a law based society or anarchy. It seems everyone thinks laws are now racist, and anarchy is preferable.

Just the way it is in Mexico. Laws dont’ matter. You only have to obey the guy with the biggest gun. And the biggest guns are the Drug runners.

We have sunk to the lawlessness of the wild west.

petunia on May 29, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Are any national Republicans doing anything to dispel the myths about the Arizona illegal immigration bill? Maybe it would help to point out that the ill-conceived boycotts, which have focused on the state’s vibrant tourism industry, hurt illegal immigrants far more than than any of the actual provisions of the bill.

With triple-digit temperatures approaching in the desert, it might not seem very enticing to spend a vacation in our state, but the weather in the higher-elevation areas is as beautiful as just about anywhere in the world. Support our borders, come visit Arizona.

RightOFLeft on May 29, 2010 at 1:03 AM

agmartin on May 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Leaky borders, leaky oil wells… the product of both is good if controlled but deadly when it is allowed to flow uncontrolled.

petunia on May 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

+7%…!

Seven Percent Solution on May 29, 2010 at 1:10 AM

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

HUH?

Kini on May 29, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Well, let’s see here Mr. de la Rocha…..Your first album with your band Rage Against the Machine had a white male on it’s cover wearing a sash saying Evil empire. I’d say that goes beyond racial profiling to flat out racism, maybe you should deal with your own racism before accusing others.

clearbluesky on May 29, 2010 at 1:41 AM

I am an American citizen, born and raised in the U.S. My photo ID is my valid drivers license, and I had to show my birth certificate to get it. It’s not only my proof that I’m eligible to drive, it’s proof of my residency. Here are a few of the situations where I’m asked to present my ID:

When buying cigarettes or alcohol.
When trying to enter a bar or club, or when trying to buy a drink at a bar.
When renting a car.
When checking into a hotel.
When checking in and getting my boarding pass at an airport, when checking my luggage at an airport, when getting through security at an airport, and when boarding a plane. Depending on the airport, I can be asked to present my ID up to four times when trying to catch a flight.
When trying to use a credit card for some purchases at some retailers.
When picking up tickets at a ‘Will Call’ window.
When picking up a package at FedX or UPS.
When applying for a job.
When cashing a check at a bank.
When I’m pulled over by police for any type of moving violation.
When picking up a prescription.
When opening an account at Blockbuster.

These are a few examples I can think of off the top of my head. I’m sure there are more. I am constantly being asked to prove who I am, and I have to comply or I cannot do the things that I listed above. To get the ID needed to basically function in society, “papers” have to be presented. Forget “where are your papers”. It’s “show me your ID”. We live in a nation where American citizens are asked “show me your ID”. We do it, and we don’t even think about it. The “where are your papers” hand-wringers obviously don’t think about it.

joejm65 on May 29, 2010 at 1:52 AM

First,musicians boycotting Arizona—who gives a sh!t?
Second,where in the the constitution is “racial profiling” mentioned?
When in Rome do as the Romans do—When in America do as Americans do.
I am so sick and tired of the arguments for and against immigration,legal ao illegel

DDT on May 29, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Sorry,pushed the wrong button
Where I was going is; before we deal with legal or illegal immigration,SECURE THE BORDER.
Also,as far as these so-called musicians are concerned–who gives a shiate?

DDT on May 29, 2010 at 3:14 AM

And is impossible for anyone to make with a straight face.

malclave on May 29, 2010 at 3:15 AM

So no whiny communist bourgeois-socialist propagandists like Rage Against The Machine? And no Gay Fish? Awesome!

If all it took was this to expel the liberals, AZ should have their budget balanced and social problems solved in a few weeks.

CPL 310 on May 29, 2010 at 5:03 AM

(Explusion as in they remove themselves and stay away, not as in physically removing liberals or anything.)

CPL 310 on May 29, 2010 at 5:04 AM

The Check is in the mail.

The border will be secured right after they the feds fix the illegal immigrant problem with a path to citizenship, end earmarks and global warming, get the economy going again and balance the budget.

IlikedAUH2O on May 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM

shorebird on May 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM

That’s always been one of my favorites too. But they’re only violating immigration law, and that’s just a minor civil violation. Except that’s not true. The decision to illegally enter the U.S. or to illegally overstay a visa is just the first of many law-breaking acts that illegal aliens typically make. Once they’ve chosen to live here illegally, how do they support themselves? Some get jobs, which they obtain using phony ID documents (a crime), or by agreeing with their employer to get paid “off the books” (i.e., illegally avoiding payroll taxes, etc). The ones with jobs typically don’t file any federal or state income tax returns on the income they earn here (more crimes). The ones without jobs use phony ID documents (a crime) to obtain taxpayer-funded welfare benefits to which they’re not legally entitled (another crime). They drive their cars on our roads, but don’t register them in the state (a violation of the law), or get a valid driver’s license (another violation of the law), or buy legally-required insurance (another violation of the law). Many illegal aliens live 20 or 30 to a small house or apartment, in violation of local zoning ordinances.

And on and on it goes. And these are the so-called “good” illegals, not the illegal alien gang-bangers, drug dealers, credit-card fraud scammers, habitual drunk drivers, rapists, murderers, etc., who are also flooding across our southern border along with the “law abiding” types.

But we dare not ask any person in this country to show their ID, right Connie Mack? Because in doing so, we might convey the idea that we’re actually serious about enforcing our laws, and that would trample on the “rights” of illegal aliens to continue violating any law in this country that stands between them and something they want. And we can’t have that, can we? Because what kind of nation would we be if everybody wasn’t free to violate any and every law that they found inconvenient?

AZCoyote on May 29, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Not going to worry about this guy or any of those’groups’ mentioned here or their opinions because: I’ll bet most people over 30 will say what I said when they read this: Who? then casually ask here and there if anyone knows who these folks are and get one yes and a slew of no. Most people simply do not know or care about them. Their absence will not be greatly noticed.

jeanie on May 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Just not feeling the outrage. Maybe it’s because I have to show my driver’s license just to buy some brands of sinus medicine…

There Goes The Neighborhood on May 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Every American citizen must have papers of identification when they are stopped: Drivers license and proof of insurance. And I cannot get a job without my Social Security card. We are a county, not unlike any others that require us to carry proof of our legitimacy.So what happens if we don’t have proper ID with us? We are cited, could be arrested and have our car impounded. In some locales of this country if we are stopped, even walking, without proper ID, we are cited as vagrants. So, what’s the beef about enforcing our laws, anyway? Maybe illegals are “special?” I want to become one.

holymoly on May 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM

My roomie went to Canada to visit his mother for two or three weeks. He had no trouble getting into Canada withhis passport. On the return trip the US Border Agents grilled him for two hours. He had to produce ID other then the passport, driver’s license and SS card. They asked him what he was doing coming into the States, he said “I live here”. He isn’t “brown or black” but still they grilled him. So, what is the big deal if darker skinned people are asked for ID? It’s just the way it is for ALL of us. No exceptions. No favoritism. No special groups have the right to ask for special favors from government. PERIOD

elclynn on May 29, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Fine. Don’t ask for “papers” (card). PROTECT THE DAMN BORDERS MORON.

Haunches on May 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM

“Law abiding, illegal immigrants…”

What friggin part of illegal is so hard to understand?

skanter on May 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Mr. de la Cock Roach, whose father is Mexican-American,

If he is an American than he does not have anything to worry about. This Law is for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS..take notice of the word ILLEGAL.

BigMike252 on May 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Read the Bill and stop whinning!

BigMike252 on May 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

HUH?

Kini on May 29, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Let me give you an example.
Suppose you own a business, suppose its a hotel.
When you hire housekeepers, all of them provide their IDs and SS# , and as per law you send these details to be verified , to the SS administration. You get a ‘no-match letter’ informing you that the SS# of those applicants / employees do not match their IDs or that some of those SS# are stolen or some of those IDs are stolen and you have 90 days to clearup the situation with SS# admin.
You ask your employees to clearup the situation . They don’t . You give them termination notices.They bring local LaRaza and community agitators into the matter, together with the local city officials, which in case of some cities are the same people. You have Norteno, surenos, LaRaza,
MS-13 etc outside your house and business, threatening you and your family. The local courts in their zeal to stick it to the man decide against you terminating these employees. The feds know the fraud going on.You have been barred by the local court to clearup the SS# of people you now know are illegals. And the feds raid your business, imposing a fine on you, yanking your business license, making you out to be a monster.
You are punished if you fire illegals who use stolen SS#.
You are punished if you hire illegals who use stolen SS#
It happens much more than is reported in the media.
Also those illegals who use stolen SS# are never ever punished.

macncheez on May 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM