Passenger suing airline for not waking her up after flight landed

posted at 10:13 pm on May 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via DrewM, who finds this slightly more ridiculous than I do. She hopped aboard a United flight at Dulles, fell asleep, stayed asleep when it landed shortly after midnight, then woke up at four a.m. to find herself alone on a dark, locked plane. The question: Why didn’t she exercise a little old-fashioned personal responsibility and set her alarm for midnight if she’s that sound a sleeper? My answer: Because, er, what sort of airline passenger expects that the crew will simply leave them to rot after the flight lands? That’s really the issue here — whether being awakened by a flight attendant if you’re asleep is a reasonable expectation for the average air traveler to have. Which … it is, right? Falling asleep on a train isn’t the same thing because a train makes many stops en route to its final destination; asking the conductor to roam the aisles rousing sleepyheads at each one would slow things down too much. But what’s the excuse here? Doesn’t the crew usually stroll up and down the aisles once or twice after landing looking for unclaimed baggage or, er, comatose passengers?

But if you agree with me, hold that thought. Because after watching this unpleasant trainwreck interview with Jane Skinner, I assure you that you’ll be desperately searching for ways to take the airline’s side here. Like Drew says, just imagine this woman on the witness stand.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That interview is five minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I might sue here for wasting my time.

SagebrushPuppet on May 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I lost 76 brain cells banging my head against my desk in frustration at her answers. I’m suing her.

Rightwingguy on May 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM

lowandslow on May 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Not saying she deserves $$, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they settle for (to them) a small amount of money to shut the story down.

cs89 on May 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM

LOL. I’ve had those moments.

All you can do is apologize for being a moron at that point.

Rightwingguy on May 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM

The anchor was also saying the lady should have had her mother call when she landed, which is a definite impossibility since even a smartphone no phone could receive a call if turned off. – SoRight

You’ve earned your name, you’re so right. Mom would have gotten her voice mail for four hours.

Then again, I have 2 young kids. If I had the option of a few hours of uninterrupted sleep on a quiet locked airplane, I’d take it and say “thank you”.

Wouldn’t that be great? I just dropped mine off at the grandparents … oh how I love the grandparents!

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I am against ANYTHING that would directly or indirectly give Geoffrey “Complete & Utter Scumbag” Fieger a plugged nickel…

Fuzzlenutter on May 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Sorry, but I agree with her. How ridiculous to leave a passenger on-board asleep.

The airlines are truly nuts these days. It’s dangerous to tavel.

AnninCA on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I was left for four hours in a University Hospital Exam room. By the time I decided to leave, the lights were off, the heat was off and no one was there. I wrote a letter to the administration and made a few suggestions as to how they could avoid this in the future. I was very impressed by the letter of apology I received. I didn’t, and do not, intend to sue. I’m a big girl and it was up to me to get my happy ass out of there.

speed911 on May 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM

AnninCA on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

But do you agree $75K with her?

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Well, that’s an issue. Another issue is whether it’s at all reasonable to sue someone when something like this happens. That’s where she loses my sympathy.

Splunge on May 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I suspect flying will now get even more uncomfortable. To protect themselves from lawsuits by passengers who fall asleep and won’t wake up, airlines will modify their seats to be even more uncomfortable (assuming that’s possible) and the crews will now be trained to prevent passengers from sleeping.

Remember when doing something stupid was so embarrassing that you didn’t go out of your way to draw more attention to it?

diesirae on May 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM

The same happened recently on an Air Canada flight to Vancouver. The guy woke up 4 hours later in an airplane hangar. Air Canada offered him a lousy 20% discount on a future flight and he’s from the UK! Megyn Kelly on Fox interviewed him, there was nothing on the Canadian news channels.

kellyjane on May 28, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I can actually feel this woman’s pain (for a sec or 2)

I had a later than expected night at work and had to rush to the airport (IAD) to catch my next flight to a new client.

I got to the gate on-time only to hear that the flight was delayed.

While waiting for the flight I feel asleep and 50 minutes later I awoke to another passenger shacking me and saying it’s time to board.

If the passenger did not awake me there is no doubt that I would have missed my flight.

F15Mech on May 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM

The airlines are truly nuts these days. It’s dangerous to tavel.

AnninCA on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I’m sorry you agree with her too.

SagebrushPuppet on May 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM

After hearing her speak and looking at her, I have a feeling she has woke up many times alone in strange hotel rooms.
I mean geeeees, just how stupid can you be?

1sttofight on May 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I thought there was a federal law that states you cannot be on a commercial airliner when flight crew are not present. They make you get off if you stay on the same plane when stopping at an airport to your final destination.

I flew first class on a two hour flight a few weeks ago, even that wasn’t comfortable enough for me to fall in that deep of a sleep.

Lay-Z on May 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM

diesirae on May 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Quote of the day.

Also, remember when sometimes you just chalked up crappy stuff happening to you under the category of “Sh1t happens” and would only think about suing if you were maimed, burned beyond recognition or poisoned?

BacaDog on May 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM

BacaDog on May 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I could tell you a very “funny” story about reporting my husband’s new car stolen……but I won’t. Some days are just worse then others.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Could of been worse,

a sleeping Jihady!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM
====================================
Well, if she were Muslim she would have 90% of her case viewed in her favor already. (in case she became radicalized by the ordeal)

BL@KBIRD on May 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

BL@KBIRD: No kidding!!:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I got to thinking, planes don’t lock from the inside. She could have opened the door, it would have been a long first step but she wasn’t locked in.

lowandslow on May 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Even if I missed the flight at no time would I have considered suing the airline for my own Fup. Eagle Fixer Upper

That’s a very conservative attitude you got there, mister, keep it up and we’ll be shipping you off to re-education camp!

If you were asleep in your boarding area, you’d probably hear the announcements and the Gate Agent paging you or even tapping you on the shoulder. But if you wander off … good luck to ya!

When I was a Gate Agent (or Boarding Agent) I was a missing a passenger and I paged him over and over again, but he didn’t show up, so the plane left. When I came back up from the jetway, guess who was standing there pitchin’ a fit as the plane taxied away? “Why didn’t you come and find me?” Yeah, in a great big airport with hundreds of people all over the place? (tap tap) “Excuse me sir, are you Bob Smith? Ok, sorry to bother you.” Meanwhile the OTHER 136 people who DID show up on time are on the plane waiting to go … and they expect to go ON TIME. But let’s all be late for YOU.

Tony737 on May 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM

oooops! That should look like this …

… If you were asleep in your boarding area, you’d probably hear the announcements …

Tony737 on May 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I can think of all sorts of ways she could hide from the crew, only to “wake up” later so she could sue. Bogus.

kg598301 on May 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

This … is … about … bringing attention to the fact … of what happened … to me … and if … there’s … a monetary value? … attached to it? … then fine.”

Clearly a selfless crusader for Truth and Justice.
Be humbled. Giants walk among us.

Kenosha Kid on May 29, 2010 at 12:06 AM

The airlines are truly nuts these days. It’s dangerous to tavel.

AnninCA on May 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

You could always fly a broom…

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM

This story reminds me of a more tragic story: the cleaning crew who discovered a dead passenger in the airplanes bathroom hours after it had landed. Poor guy had a heart attack. Lots of online jokes in the report I read, but I felt for the guy because he probably went in there having pains or some type of distress and didn’t want to bother anyone.

Marcus on May 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM

kg598301 on May 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Except she sounds too stupid to have planned for this. And there really aren’t any places to hide in the airplane (assuming lavatories are checked), especially not for someone as chubby as her.

novakyu on May 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Been there, done that and I would never have in a million years thought I would be capable of that. One of those international things sitting in Amsterdam and waiting for a Venice flight. At least 150 people sitting with me and I awoke to a slight nudge on my shoulder and virtually an empty gate and a “you better go get on!”

Marcus on May 29, 2010 at 12:48 AM

I’m not picking any sides here but it does seem strange to me that someone associated with the airline, flight attendant, ground crew, etc, wouldn’t check the plane for leftover articles and unboarded passengers.

docdave on May 29, 2010 at 12:54 AM

If this had happened to me, I’d be so humiliated I’d never tell anyone. I’d take it to the grave. But then again, I don’t even sleep on planes, so…

Emily M. on May 29, 2010 at 1:24 AM

How are we supposed to take any dimwit seriously when they immediately hire Fieger to rep them?

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I say we shut down all air flight travel because obviously flying could cause some sort of problem…

… Since we are doing it for oil drilling, why not jump the shark?

Seven Percent Solution on May 29, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Skinner was PATHETIC today.
Her journalistic skills we thrown out the window.

I don’t blame this woman. So what she forgot to set an alarm?

They should clear the damn plane! In an effort to engage in full disclosure, my dad is a pilot for AA, intn’l out of JFK.

blatantblue on May 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM

This woman is dirtbag and a dumb@ss. Why is Allahpundit legitimizing this? Was I the only one who listened to this moron’s Fox News interview? She got left on a plan for a few hours. That’s worth thousands and thousands of dollars? Stupid litigious woman.

Narutoboy on May 29, 2010 at 2:12 AM

The airline should have woken her up. And Jane Skinner’s question about an alarm was stupid. You’re supposed to turn your cell off so how can you set an alarm? Yeah Ginger was scared but I don’t think it rises to the point justifying a huge money settlement. Just give her a free round trip ticket and call it a day.

Tasha on May 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM

I do think it’s reasonable to expect that the flight crew will come through the plan and make sure no one is asleep, dead or unconscious, and I’m frankly flabbergasted that it wasn’t done. I mean, why am I taking off my shoes and having TSA agents giving me the rubber glove treatment if people are going to be allowed free roam of abandoned planes?

That said, I don’t think the woman deserves money. On the other hand, the airline deserves exposure and criticism.

Kensington on May 29, 2010 at 2:37 AM

There is obviously more to this story than what she’s claiming. I find it very hard to believe nobody could see a sleeping person in an airline seat.

ButterflyDragon on May 29, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Does this mean that I can now sue the Pgh Dpt of Education for all those times that the bell rang before I got up?
Dumba$$,you slept in.

DDT on May 29, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Many have commented on her stupidity, with which I agree, but she was smart enough to know which lawyer to call.

Something smells – besides my feet.

OldEnglish on May 29, 2010 at 4:01 AM

ButterflyDragon on May 29, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Everybody’s just assuming she was sitting in her seat.

I’m thinking she curled up in the baggage compartment or something.

logis on May 29, 2010 at 4:07 AM

I’m sorry, but is Michigan the new Ozarks? It just seems more white trash comes from Michigan than does anywhere else in the US.

I just wish for once that a business would fight this in court and make sure the loser doesn’t get a dime.

Also, please tell me she doesn’t vote.

Tim Burton on May 29, 2010 at 4:22 AM

Parents give their children names like Ginger as a way of letting others know that their child is not too bright.

bw222 on May 29, 2010 at 4:41 AM

She should have hung up. It is obvious why she’s suing.

Leave it to a reporter to apply personal responsibility to something this dumb. I haven’t flown in 20 years, but the idea of setting your cell phone alarm to wake yourself up the end of a flight is ridiculous. Even more moronic is the whole “have your Mom call you” idea. Huh? When I did fly, I couldn’t get anybody to pick me up at the airport without calling them when I landed. Nobody in their right mind would expect a plane to land on time back then. What was she supposed to do? Call her mother after the plane took off and say “hey, Mom, we’re in the air so call me at 12:53AM so I don’t end up stuck on the plane alone”?

Jaynie59 on May 29, 2010 at 5:45 AM

You’re supposed to turn your cell off so how can you set an alarm?

Tasha on May 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM

I don’t know about everyone else, but when I set the alarm on my cell phone I can turn it off and the alarm will still go off. I’m betting hers would too.

Kowboy on May 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM

I have fallen asleep while on the commuter bus, and missed my stop, But when the bus reached the end of the route the driver came back and shook me awake. They did not park the bus with me still on it.

On a road trip with my 15 year old nephew, he packed the car, and when we stopped at a motel after 20 hours on the road, at about midnight. Shaking him didn’t wake him up. it was too cold to leave him in the car, so I carried him over my shoulder into the room, and tossed him onto the bed. he mumbled but didn’t wake up. there was not drugs or alcohol involved. I envy his ability to sleep.

Unless she was hiding, the airline failed to fulfill the reasonable expectation to through her off the plane before parking it.

Slowburn on May 29, 2010 at 6:28 AM

If your stranded on a locked plane what not make the most of it, all the snacks you want and then taxi that baby around the neighborhood.

rob verdi on May 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM

You know, then get off and go on with my life and probably not tell anyone for at least five years.

lowandslow on May 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I would be so embarrassed that I’m sure I’d stand there apologizing profusely to the airline. In this case, I can’t imagine the airline didn’t apologize to her–must every slight or inconvenience in life have a monetary value attached to it?

DrMagnolias on May 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM

rob verdi on May 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Now that’s funny.

DrMagnolias on May 29, 2010 at 6:41 AM

I am a former flight attendant and it was our job to check the plane upon exiting to ensure all passengers had deplaned.

That said, the woman is laughable, and doesn’t deserve a big pay off. They should have woken her up, but she comes across as a dolt. I would give her some free tickets. Who’s to say she wasn’t hiding in hopes of a big payoff? Not too long ago a man was left aboard a plane and woke up in the hanger. Who knows – maybe she read that story, and got the idea for a payout?

sarainitaly on May 29, 2010 at 7:24 AM

She should pay them. What a story for the grandchildren. I have been am “Up in the Air” type traveler at many times in my life and this is just a funny story in someone’s life. What she deserves is a bunch of airline tickets and first class hotel stays not a court settlement. This is what is wrong with our legal system.

jerryofva on May 29, 2010 at 7:43 AM

I’m saying they did it too her on purpose. I mean imagine what she was like when she was awake. They probably didn’t want to get near her and wake the beast.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Woman seems too stupid to be alive. Hopefully the judge throws her to the curb.

foucaultsvac on May 29, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Slowburn on May 29, 2010 at 6:28 AM

The possibility she was hiding remains, but even if she weren’t, what’s the damage? Was her life endangered? Did she miss some important meeting or business deal that would have enriched her? What exactly is the damage she suffered? Reasonable expectation is now a cause to sue for damages?

If so, I’m suing the local supermarket, since I reasonably expected the checkout process to take ten minutes or less. It took twenty due to the holiday shoppers — they owe me!

Nichevo on May 29, 2010 at 7:53 AM

rob verdi on May 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM

You’d at least have to run around naked in first class hitting the champagne. Then sit in the Captain’s chair saying, “Rooooooom Vrrrrrrrrr ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta BlackJack you’ve got a bogey on your six!” When you’re ready to leave pick up the radio and say to the tower, “Mayday Mayday I’m trapped in a twilight zone episode.”

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Ok not sure what Im saying that’s catching the filter.

MirCat on May 29, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Usually when someone is looking for their 15 minutes of fame they try to look as rational as possible. Epic fail! lol

The real issue here is that the airlines security is so lax that a person can stay on a plane. In our post 9/11 world, if she was hiding, they should be expecting that and if she was sleeping as she says, that is just incompetence.

Either way, that attitude endangers everyone who flies.

csdeven on May 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM

This woman is an idiot. I run in to people like this all the time in my line of work (I handle insurance claims). She’s part of the growing nanny state that thinks everything is someone else’s fault and she’s owed a big settlement. The interviewer should have asked in what way was she harmed? Is she injured? Yes, the airline should check/clear the plane after landing but this would just admitted in the interview that she had been up for 24 hours! The other passengers probably sensed she was a screwball and didn’t want to wake her.

Alfresco on May 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

You mean her luggage stood a fighting chance of getting inside the airport faster than she did?

Wow!

This should be offered as a ‘convenience’ by airlines with baggage problems… cheaper than putting you up for the night at a hotel when your luggage is still ‘in transit’ on another flight, that’s for sure.

ajacksonian on May 29, 2010 at 8:18 AM

The frivolity of the lawsuit aside, this really is worrisome. An unsupervised passenger left alone on a plane for hours? Bad guys taking notes now: “Pretend to be asleep during deplaning. . .”

Chuckles3 on May 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

rob verdi on May 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Dude, SWEET!!

bernzright777 on May 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM

The school bus drivers around here have to check their bus after the last run to check for kids. We have had stories of kids waking up later to an empty bus and of course their frantic parents wondering what happened.

After checking the bus the driver puts a sign at the back of the bus that says EMPTY.

Maybe the airlines should do this. /

CWforFreedom on May 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM

.oOthinking of ways to copy this…

Otis B on May 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Help me understand this, the landing was so gentle, it didn’t wake her up. When the Captain hit the brakes, reversed engines, that didn’t wake her up. 200 to 400 people got off the plane, none of them tried to wake her up? Oh, and of course she had to have been in a window seat right, or empty row, because no one crawled over her right, waking her up right? Then all of the flight crew, no one tried to wake her up? Was she sleeping or drug induced unconscious? Finally the Captain who is ultimately responsible has to make a judgement call. Call security or EMT, finds out she is drugged or drunk, which might cause her a little discomfort, or realize the plane is going no where and lets her sleep it off.

Lets wait to hear the other side of the story. You think she looks dumb now? I think this is only going to get worse as flight crew and other passengers tell their stories.

odannyboy on May 29, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Chuckles3 on May 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Brings a new meaning to sleeper cell

mikewor on May 29, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I wouldnt hire Fiegert, but by Jove I’d want to fly free at least a half-a-dozen times after.

tryptic on May 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I just opened my copy of the American Heritage Dictionary. This woman’s picture is next to the definition for “dim bulb.”

SagebrushPuppet on May 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Makes one wonder if she could have hidden on purpose.

CWforFreedom on May 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I don’t necessarily agree the interview makes me want to find a way to take the airlines side. The only two sides I hear on this interview are the passenger v. Skinner. She was obviously not prepared for the interview and Skinner came across to me as quite contentious.

BrunoMitchell on May 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I am a former flight attendant and it was our job to check the plane upon exiting to ensure all passengers had deplaned…. Who’s to say she wasn’t hiding in hopes of a big payoff?
sarainitaly on May 29, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I’ve flown hundreds of times and never even seen a COAT left on an airline seat before let alone a PERSON. At most, I’ve seen things stuffed down into the brochure pocket. That’s it.

Sounds like a stowaway.

logis on May 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Sounds like a stowaway.

logis on May 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM

DING DING DING!

I think we have a winner!

SagebrushPuppet on May 29, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Allah, you are seriously missing the point here!

It is the responsibility of the flight crew to make sure that plane has been gone through after the last passenger has left to insure that there is indeed no one left on the plane. That this woman was left sleeping on the aircraft shows the flight crew did not do their job, and will mostly be out of a job shortly as this is bad publicity for United in light of the recent merger they are trying to put through with Continental.

But the responsibility for this incident rests on the shoulders of United’s current CEO, Glenn Tilton. Tilton is a taskmaster who has worked the employees on United almost down the to bone. Flight crews now do not have much rest time between flights and vacation time at United right now is almost like gold being sought after, especially for flight crews. These people are literally worked into exhaustion, and it is becoming more common for incidents like what happened here to occur. All because of Glenn Tilton!

So before you start looking at this matter in a lighthearted manner, consider what is happening at United right now. Then maybe you will see there is little humor in what is going on over there these days.

pilamaye on May 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM

What kind of work does this woman do? You’d think if she had any kind of responsibilities she would be embarrassed to admit her stupidity in open court for fear of eventually being let go by her employer (for other reasons, of course) and the fear that if her “story” followed her that no one would want to hire such a person.

In my working career I would avoid hiring such a woman like a plague. She’s proven herself to potentially be big trouble. If she’s trying a lawsuit stunt like this, imagine all the law suits she’d love to bring against any employers.

BillCarson on May 29, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Flight crews now do not have much rest time between flights and vacation time

Yes, those poor overworked flight attendants were too tired to see someone sleeping on the plane as they turned off the lights.

Here, put this in your mouth.

Otis B on May 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM

My guess is that the flight attendant found this woman to be annoying…

southsideironworks on May 29, 2010 at 10:00 AM

My wife is a flight attendant, rest between flights is a federal regulation. No airline goes against those rules, you don’t know what you are talking about.

The Captain is absolutely in charge of the plane, if they left her on their, they did it by choice, probably to save her further embarrasament, or incarceration. Apparently she doesn’t embarass easily.

odannyboy on May 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

She must have been some kind of major-league be-otch for her ‘neighbors’ not to give her a shake upon landing.
Someone needs to interview the passenger(s) who were sitting next to her.

mrt721 on May 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM

The airline has an implied duty to hinder sleeping in the flight team. If they can keep the pilot,navigator and co-pilot awake, they will do well.
Sounds like she has issues with personal responsibility.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Two tickets anywhere they fly. Beat it bimbo.

FireBlogger on May 29, 2010 at 10:23 AM

This shows how bad security is there. All it takes is a radical Muslim and some chemicals…

Mojave Mark on May 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Has got to be a Libtard

skanter on May 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Wanting something for nothing, and expecting financial retribution for minimal to near-non-existent inconvenience..

Ya think ???

cableguy615 on May 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Not sure why she’s suing the airline, instead of suing the drug company that makes whatever she took to fall asleep.

Lots of people take x4n4x or 4mbi4n (I’ve learned that the HA spam filter doesn’t like drug names) or whatever, before they take a flight — but if you don’t wake up when all of those people are shuffling past you, talking on their phones, bumping you with their bags, as they get off? Including the person next to you? That’s not good. I’ll bet the flight attendants shook her, too.

Tanya on May 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM

There’s got to be way more to this story. I’m having a hard time believing a flight crew knowingly left a person on a plane and then locked her in it. IF that’s true, then to be honest I side with her, not for her sake per se but because what if it had been someone passed out because of a medical condition and was in need of immediate care. If the story’s not true, or incomplete is more like it, then I look forward to hearing all of it.

Niere on May 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Tanya on May 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Good point. I honestly don’t even see what the damages are. She was asleep the whole time and was only alone and awake in the plane for what sounds like a few minutes.

It was the middle of the night, so presumably she didn’t miss anything important. And if she was so tired that turning the lights on, having all that movement of people around her and even the cleaning crew didn’t wake her up, then maybe she shouldn’t have been driving home anyway.

I can see a case for her getting a free ticket or something small, but I don’t understand how she builds a lawsuit out of this.

Esthier on May 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Good point. I honestly don’t even see what the damages are.
Esthier on May 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM

The courts are becoming more liberal every year, and soon may start becoming more liberal every day, but you still can’t sue someone for what MIGHT have happened; only for the losses you actually suffered. And, yes, assuming she was a scatter-brained airhead before the incident too, then there’s no indication that this harmed her in any way.

In addition, there’s a factor called “negligence.” And it’s not supposed to just mean “imperfection.” If someone relies on an airline to rouse them, it’s not because airlines purport to assume their passengers’ risk of oversleeping; it’s because airlines are usually so extremely good about clearing their planes.

If this incident did indeed happen as alleged, that only happens one time in a million. That makes it unexpected; but that does not imply that it’s legally negligent – if anything that would tend to show the exact opposite.

logis on May 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Here ya go.

Meet Ginger McGuire, one of the lead anchors for Channel 97′s “Oxford News This Week,”…

When she’s not delivering the local news or working in cyberspace, McGuire is a voracious reader and enjoys a variety of music ranging from Bach to Black Sabbath.

Oxford Community Television, that is. Big time.

Lynn B. on May 29, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Can’t bear to watch….. enough heart ache with the serious and consequential lib foolishness in the country.

ultracon on May 29, 2010 at 12:06 PM

lowandslow on May 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Of course planes lock from the inside. The flight attendant locks the door when the passengers are on board and the plane is ready to depart. On the other hand, it’s not rocket science to unlock the door and open it.

cheeflo on May 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM

The Onion already did it.

VekTor on May 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM

During flight you have to have your cellphone off.

Tzetzes on May 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM

She should get a Trump USFL lawsuit “award”

$1 for her time.

Odie1941 on May 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM

As The Boss would say: “Boo freakin’ hoo.”

hillbillyjim on May 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM

But do you agree $75K with her?

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Heck no. Everyone sues over everything these days. It’s ridiculous.

But I don’t agree that she somehow was irresponsbile. My goodness, it simply is unfathomable that they would lock her in!

AnninCA on May 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Niere on May 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I honestly think many of the air crews today are just that irresponsible.

AnninCA on May 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM

She’s lucky she didn’t wake up in Atlanta or Miami. Why didn’t she tell her seat mates or the FA that she was going to take a nap, and ask one of them politely to let her know when the plane landed? It’s not like she’s a 10 year old unaccompanied child going to her grandma’s house. Since when is the airline in loco parentis to adult travelers? And what jackleg attorney would take this case?

Sheeeesh.

On second thought, I know what kind of jackleg would take this case. One who wanted publicity, so long as his/her is name spelled right.

vnjagvet on May 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Ferndale, MI has a very large gay population. Just saying.

bw222 on May 29, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Makes one wonder if she could have hidden on purpose.

CWforFreedom on May 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Yep, and then after the interview you remember why the bank has to tell people not to write their PIN number on ATM cards. This lady’s cranial functions appear to be limited to the autonomic.

TexasDan on May 29, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Two tickets anywhere they fly. Beat it bimbo.

FireBlogger on May 29, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Fair enough. But anyone saying that it is her fault and not the airline’s has remarkably low expectations for airline security. I guarantee that the airline is not treating this with a shrug. Whoever left her on that closed-up airplane has undoubtedly been fired.

Jaibones on May 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Also, I think the airline should backcharge her for overlimit time on the use of their airplane.

TexasDan on May 29, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Jesus, what about personal responsibility.

The airline also forgot to remind her to change her tampon so she is suing for a years supply of panty liners, the kind with wings.

TheSitRep on May 29, 2010 at 3:02 PM

How’d she end up on a locked plane at 4 a.m., then?

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

That’s the million dollar question, isn’t it? …

Anyway, I need some more evidence after hearing her trainwreck interview.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Huh? Dude…no one is challenging her claim. She was on the plane. The only questions are:

- How on earth did the airline eff-up like this? and

- How on earth did this chick sleep through a flight, a landing, an evacuation of a commercial plane (organized chaos at best), and then three more hours on an empty, dark plane?

As for the interview, I couldn’t listen very long. But by far the stupidest person on that tape was Jane Skinner. She’s a ridiculous bimbo to start with, but that was stunning.

“Why didn’t you have your Mom call to wake you up when the plane landed?”

No, Jane. “Who are you gobbling to keep your job speaking in public?”

Jaibones on May 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM

After a hard drinking trip to Midland, Texas, I fell asleep on a South West Airline flight back to Houston causing me to not change planes in Dallas which took me to IAH instead of HOU (Hobby) where my car was parked.

I just thought it was funny as hell and took a shuttle.

It never occurred to me that I should sue.

TheSitRep on May 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM