Passenger suing airline for not waking her up after flight landed

posted at 10:13 pm on May 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via DrewM, who finds this slightly more ridiculous than I do. She hopped aboard a United flight at Dulles, fell asleep, stayed asleep when it landed shortly after midnight, then woke up at four a.m. to find herself alone on a dark, locked plane. The question: Why didn’t she exercise a little old-fashioned personal responsibility and set her alarm for midnight if she’s that sound a sleeper? My answer: Because, er, what sort of airline passenger expects that the crew will simply leave them to rot after the flight lands? That’s really the issue here — whether being awakened by a flight attendant if you’re asleep is a reasonable expectation for the average air traveler to have. Which … it is, right? Falling asleep on a train isn’t the same thing because a train makes many stops en route to its final destination; asking the conductor to roam the aisles rousing sleepyheads at each one would slow things down too much. But what’s the excuse here? Doesn’t the crew usually stroll up and down the aisles once or twice after landing looking for unclaimed baggage or, er, comatose passengers?

But if you agree with me, hold that thought. Because after watching this unpleasant trainwreck interview with Jane Skinner, I assure you that you’ll be desperately searching for ways to take the airline’s side here. Like Drew says, just imagine this woman on the witness stand.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’ve never found airplane seats that comfortable to sleep that long.

Which is why I fuel up at the airport lounge before departure.

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Yes, we do. It’s part of our security duties.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Wake up and get a life

Wade on May 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Saw this live today and went from initially taking her side to WTF lady in about 20 seconds.

Definitely the most uncomfortably bizarre interview I’ve seen in awhile.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

McBaine on May 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

What is her damage. How was she harmed?

BTW, Fieger is filing this suit..enough said.

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Has got to be a Libtard

skanter on May 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I can’t sleep through my husband rolling over, let along a plane landing, people bustling around me, staff vacuuming, etc. Seriously. I call foul.

Bee on May 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM

BTW, if United were smart, they’d start an ad campaign touting “proof that we have the most comfortable, relaxing seats in skies”.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM

fickle? call it fast cash.
call attention? monetary value?
payday.
no harm no foul.

seesalrun on May 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I would be willing to go through what she did for a grand and 4 round trip tickets.

CWforFreedom on May 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Yes, we do. It’s part of our security duties.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

ROTFLMAO… I always suspected that the 737 in your nic had something to do with aircraft’s…

doriangrey on May 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Uh, yes. Not only do flight attendants check all the seats, but the cleaning crew comes aboard the airplane once they land. I’m mystified how the flight attendants and cleaning crew missed her and didn’t awake her. Is there a statement from the airline? Which airline is it anyway? What type of aircraft was it?

Ouch. That interview is a major trainwreck. Jane Skinner takes this adult woman to task. It’s called personal responsibility. Adulthood.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Geoffrey Fieger reps the woman. He is obviously not near as smart as he thinks he is.

CWforFreedom on May 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Maybe it’s not great customer service, but I don’t see a tort. She was very safe, and got out as soon as she woke up.

exception on May 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

if United were smart, they’d start an ad campaign touting “proof that we have the most comfortable, relaxing seats in skies”. – Ugly

AWESOME idea!

I watched the interview with Fox that she did. And the anchor asked her why didn’t she set her cell phone to go off. I wanted to scream at the TV saying “Because you have to turn OFF your cell phones for flight!!!” – McBaine

True, but even so, the alarm will still work.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Her story smells rotten. After flying so many flights with toddlers where we’re always stuck in the back of the airplane and always the last to get off the plane, there has ALWAYS been airline employees waiting for us, ready to assist us get off the plane (sometimes very patiently). I’ve watched them go up and down the aisles, regardless of the aircraft size, checking for people and belongs left behind.

That lady is full of it.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Wouldn’t this be a safety issue that the airline is responsible for? If she fell asleep in flight she wasn’t able to fasten her seat belt for landing. Shouldn’t the flight attendants be responsible for making sure everyone has their belts fastened or are able to fasten them?

Mark1971 on May 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

That lady is full of it.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

How’d she end up on a locked plane at 4 a.m., then?

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

American voters suing MSM for not waking them up before November, 2008.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I’m sorry, but the Airline should have woken her up…

Yeah yeah, “personal responsibility”… but the Airline has responsibility for the passengers… and people do fall asleep when they’re flying…

ninjapirate on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

*belongings left behind

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Not only do flight attendants check all the seats, but the cleaning crew comes aboard the airplane once they land. I’m mystified how the flight attendants and cleaning crew missed her and didn’t awake her. Pilgrim

Maybe the Flight Crew all had hot dates! … Wait, this was United? Oh, in that case they were probably all blind!

This was what we call a ‘terminator’, meaning the last flight of the day for that plane, it shuts down for the night and the cleaning crew doesn’t always come to it right away … but four hours later? sheesh

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

How’d she end up on a locked plane at 4 a.m., then?

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Devolution.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Mark1971 on May 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

I always kept mine on and the buckle visable so they would leave me alone while I slept.

exception on May 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Could of been worse,

a sleeping Jihady!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

How’d she end up on a locked plane at 4 a.m., then?

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Maybe she was dreaming about her next date with you and didn’t want to wake up.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I would be so embarrassed that I had managed to sleep through the commotion of a plane full of disembarking passengers. It is my theory that every stressful event will one day be a funny story, this one would take awhile. As for the airline personnel, I think at the end of a long day, you see what you expect to see and go home. I think reimbursing her for her flight and whatever extra travel arrangements she might have needed is enough. Making an a$$ out of herself on national television is all on her.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

How’d she end up on a locked plane at 4 a.m., then?

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

That’s the million dollar question, isn’t it? Is there a statement from the airline corroborating her story?

Maybe other passengers will come forward from the flight and verify that she was snoring so loud nobody wanted to wake her up. I keed.
Anyway, I need some more evidence after hearing her trainwreck interview.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I’m sure Feiger is thrilled with her giving a national TV interview discussing the case without him at her side.

aquaviva on May 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

The airline should be suing her.

Her IQ is a negative number, and that endangers everyone on the plane because somebody has give up some IQ value to make for hers.

BobMbx on May 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

If you haven’t awakened in an empty classroom before, you are not doing school right……….but I haven’t tried a plane yet.

GnuBreed on May 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM

An airline that let me sleep would me my favorite carrier ever.

exception on May 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Maybe she was dreaming about her next date with you and didn’t want to wake up.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

ouch

BobMbx on May 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Yeah. The lady is quick to play the victim, litigation card. Did she bring it to the attention of the airline? Did they offer a free flight or did they ignore her? So many questions, so few answers.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I’m mystified how the flight attendants and cleaning crew missed her

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

She says in the interview that she was discovered by the cleaning crew.

Guardian on May 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I’m with AP on this…set an alarm on an airplane? Have you Mom call you? Are you kidding, Skinner?

Why is it their responsibility? To empty an airplane after it lands? She must be kidding.

As for suing, who knows why. I don’t know what she hopes to get in terms of money. She’s not out anything. This is more of a security and safety issue than anything else.

Jaibones on May 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

How’d she end up on a locked plane at 4 a.m., then?

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Pretend to be asleep. If someone wakes her up, thank them profusely. If missed it’s an easy $75K. It’s the new slip and fall with less chance of being injured.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

One thing the cleaning crews of American Airlines don’t do is clean.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve found food crumbs crushed into my seat and garbage still stuffed into my seatback pocket.

It’s not like a movie theatre where people toss sh_t all over the place. If that were the case, I wouldn’t bitch about having to deal with someone else’s leftover snot rag.

You’re almost better off riding a Greyhound Bus these days.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

An airline that let me sleep would me my favorite carrier ever.

exception on May 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM

haha. No joke. Overseas flights are the worst.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I don’t understand? Was this woman harmed? Or is she just a moron?

SagebrushPuppet on May 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

If she fell asleep in flight she wasn’t able to fasten her seat belt for landing. Shouldn’t the flight attendants be responsible for making sure everyone has their belts fastened or are able to fasten them? – Mark

People sleep with their seatblets fastened all the time. There’s plenty of slack … well, for MOST people anyway.

The biggest part of this story however is – How did they NOT notice her? You could be walking down the aisle pretty fast, and your view is blocked for a second by the back of the seats, but even for a split second you’re gonna have a full view of each row, unless you just happen to be looking at the row across the aisle in that brief moment. but the Capt. is supposed to do his final walkthrough all the way to the back of the plane, checking the Lav and the emergency slid bar (the “Girt” bar) while the First Officer checks the outside.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Anyplace to hide on the plane after it has landed?

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

This is more of a security and safety issue than anything else.

Jaibones on May 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

How could she possibly be more safe or secure than on a secured 737?

exception on May 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Does she want the Flight Attendants to change her pampers too? Maybe warm her “baba”? Burp her after feeding?

Personal responsibility is so passe.

DeathB4Tyranny on May 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM

She says in the interview that she was discovered by the cleaning crew.

Guardian on May 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

But there is always a cleaning crew that boards the plane once the passengers deplane. I’ve seen it every time exiting the plane (usually the last one off with little ones) and my hubby worked for an airline in yesteryear. Just odd. Maybe it’s the one time someone didn’t do their job.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I haven’t flown in a while but I would think the airlines would be quite vigilant about comatose passengers. They could be very sick or even dead!

If I were a lawyer, I’d run from this woman. Goes to show you why I’m not a lawyer.

donh525 on May 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Did this woman ever spill hot coffee on her lap?

Wade on May 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I wish I could sleep on an airplane!

SagebrushPuppet on May 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM

IF the story is as she tells it, the airline is culpable.

However, she’s a pretty unsympathetic “victim,” so I’d be surprised if they settle for the big $$ she (and her lawyer) are probably after here.

Tens of thousands, maybe?

cs89 on May 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM

If it were me, I would’ve taken the opportunity to raid the galley for snacks.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Tony737:Well Tony,you know the regulations of your job,
so,maybe she tele-ported,I kid!!:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Big problem with her grounds for tort action.

What loss or injury did she experience?

Pain and suffering? No, she was asleep and she’s not injured.

Defamation? Nope. Nobody knew until she started talking about it.

Unlawful detention? Nope. Neither party was aware of her presence on the plane.

So, unless one of HAs legal beagles knows different, I’d say she has no grounds for the suit.

My forecast: The judge tosses it. Can you say “frivolus”. I wonder if Jeff the Lawyer actually finished law school or did he just stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

BobMbx on May 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Anyplace to hide on the plane after it has landed? – Cindy

A small kid might be able to get under the last row of seats, but not a full grown adult, and the Crew is supposed to check for people and bags, the Capt. even checks the Lavs after we already did it.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM

The plane landed after midnite and she woke up at 4 a.m.– four freaking hours later. That was a really deep sleep. Drugs, alcohol or both.

obladioblada on May 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

There are only two words to describe this opportunist:

1. Bloodsucker

2. The other starts with a “C” and is 4-letters long.

Goldy1 on May 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

This happened a couple of times here in MA with sleeping school kids being left on parked buses so now they all have a procedure now to ensure in never happens again.

I flew constantly for about 10 years and the idea that a flight crew would get off a plane and lock it w/o first walking the aisles is amazing to me. Especially after 9/11.

I know over the years I’d see somebody sleeping as I’d be getting off, so now I wonder if this has happened before…

TheBigOldDog on May 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Yes, we do. It’s part of our security duties.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Tony brings up a good Homeland Security point. We’ve heard of people leaving behind threatening notes and other items of security nature. No sweep and clean after the flight?

Plus this being United Express flight, which I’m assuming is a puddle jumper route and a small aircraft. A DASH-8, Embarc Canadian Regional Jet, or a Bombardier CRJ900, couldn’t anything smaller, I guess.

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Snacks, pillows, blankets, going to the bathroom with the door open.

Heck, it’d be like having your own tubular-shaped apartment.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Accidents happen in any line of work. For whatever reason, the attendant who was supposed to check the seats before locking the door didn’t do that. So sue for damages. And what are the damages? $0.

case closed.

pedestrian on May 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

If it were me, I would’ve taken the opportunity to raid the galley for snacks.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Bingo! Put on a pot of coffee, have some airline pretzels, and chill!

SagebrushPuppet on May 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Another STUPID lawsuit brought by an irresponsible, childish, ‘adult’ accompanied by an ambulance chasing attorney.

Gothguy on May 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Thanks. Do people sleep through disembarking (is that a word?) often? Mistakes happen, it is not worth $75K.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Definitely a ginger.

txag92 on May 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

All the honey roasted peanuts you could eat?

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

You’re almost better off riding a Greyhound Bus these days.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

The Ugly America:Well,thats not safe either,some clown in
Canada cut a guys head off on the bus!

Now tell me how know one notices!!
========================================================
August 6, 2008

Man accused of Greyhound bus beheading asks judge: ‘please kill me’
============================

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Did this woman ever spill hot coffee on her lap? – Wade

Sad but true, we had an “Unaccompanied Minor” ask for a hot chocolate just before landing, the F/A said “Can’t right now, dear, the plane’s about to land.” The little girl started crying, the F/A asked what’s wrong, the girl said “My mom told me to burn myself with hot chocolate!”

People will sacrifice their own kids for somebody else’s money.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Mark1971 on May 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

All airlines request you keep your seatbelt fastened while seated even if the fasten seatbelt sign is off. Also, all flights I have ever taken the flight attendants are really good at ensuring everyone’s seatbelt is fastened when the aircraft is on final prior to landing in addition to ensuring all seats are in the uipright position and tray tables closed.

I call BS, this lady is full of it as I really fail to see how anyone can stay asleep during a landing, was her seat in the full upright position, her tray table down? Any of the previously mentioned would have required the flight attendant to wake her to prepare for landing. Also, if the flight terminates at the destination both flight attendants and crew usually check the entire cabin, not to mention the cleaning crew afterwards. This whole story doesn’t add up, that and she’s an adult and has no one to blame but herself!

As others have pointed out she must be a libtard because libtards are really good at not taking responsibility for their failures/actions/inactions.

Liberty or Death on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Being unclaimed baggage they probably should charge her a storage fee.

viking01 on May 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Definitely a ginger.

txag92 on May 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Terrific.

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Tens of thousands, maybe?

cs89 on May 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Tens of thousands for what? Getting some sleep?
Why would anyone be in panic? It’s not like they were never use the plane again or mothballed it at Monthan and welded the doors shut on her. I would have went back to sleep till someone woke up. You know, then get off and go on with my life and probably not tell anyone for at least five years.

lowandslow on May 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Definitely a ginger.

txag92 on May 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM

txag92:) lol

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

More likely she fell asleep in the loo and chose not to fess up.

viking01 on May 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM

People will sacrifice their own kids for somebody else’s money.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Not surprising but still astounds me that people will stoop to that level for a payday.

Liberty or Death on May 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM

My guess? Fifteen minutes in, every single person on that plane was so fed up with this chick’s attitude and vibe that when they landed and saw she had fallen asleep, they all tip-toed off like kids sneaking by the nasty old babysitter.

At least, I would have encouraged that.

rightheaded on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Somewhere there is a box of rocks shaking their their collective heads and saying “That is one dingbat”.

thomasaur on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

American voters suing MSM for not waking them up before November, 2008.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

And those of us who were awake should sue too, for second hand bam-snooozle…

RalphyBoy on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

She needs to sue her parents…for breeding.

HornetSting on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Do people sleep through disembarking (is that a word?) often? – Cindy

Disembark … we just say Deplaning. Deplane Boss! Deplane!

Yeah, it happens, but it’s hard to miss them with their feet sticking out into the aisle … hey wait! Maybe the Crew was tired of going around her feet so they left her there on purpose! … Nah … not worth getting fired over.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Could of been worse,

a sleeping Jihady!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Well, if she were Muslim she would have 90% of her case viewed in her favor already. (in case she became radicalized by the ordeal)

BL@KBIRD on May 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

United Stewardess: Knock-knock.

Ginger McGuire : Who’s there?

United Stewardess: Buh-bye.

Ginger McGuire : Uh, I don’t get it.

United Stewardess: There’s nothing to get. Buh-bye.

The Ugly American on May 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

What’s she sewing for? $75K?

Kinda under the clouds, yes?

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 10:54 PM

obladioblada on May 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Yep

funky chicken on May 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Jeez, she’s got that lawyer that handles all the crazies. Was this whole episode set up?
But beyond that, I think this would make a great United commercial. “Our flights and landings are so smooth and quiet, our seats so plush and comfortable that you’ll swear you home in your sleep number bed”.

scullymj on May 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Do people sleep through disembarking (is that a word?) often? – Cindy

i used to work as a bag handler in Ft Lauderdale, one night I was bringing unclaimed bags into the office and a guy came in and started yelling “YOU PEOPLE LOST MY BAG!” The Customer Service Agent was busy with another passenger so I said “Let me see your claim stub.” He gave it to me. The flight he was on goes from Nashville to Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale. I said “Oh, here’s the problem, they checked your bag to Tampa. He says “Yeah, Tampa.” (pause) “Um, sir, you kno you’re in Ft. Lauderdale, right?” “No, I’m in TAMPA!” Hahaha He had to get a hotel room for the night and buy a ticket back to Tampa. He was asleep when the plane landed in Tampa and continued on to Lauderdale.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM

The airline crew should have woke her up. It can be pretty scary, I guess, to wake up on a locked airplane, all by yourself, at 4 AM but I think the attorney is an ambulance chaser. Does she have this guy on retainer? If all she wants to do is raise awareness, I think she’s done that.

Vince on May 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I was on the passenger’s side until I saw Fieger and realized she actually expects to get money for this…

I get so sick of people suing for huge amts. when no real harm is done. I’m siding with the airline now.

Joy on May 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Did this woman ever spill hot coffee on her lap? – Wade

People will sacrifice their own kids for somebody else’s money.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

So when that didn’t work out, the mom decided to pretend she’d locked in the plane for four hours instead?

SagebrushPuppet on May 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

She needs to sue her parents…for breeding.

HornetSting on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Heh, then maybe we can set a precedent in case law and sue all lefty-liberals for breeding and screwing up our country!

Liberty or Death on May 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Just saw your comment. Wonder if she took a sleeping pill or something else to sleep so soundly. The crew always does a walk through; I just don’t see how they missed her unless they didn’t do the final check. Based on your experience, is that a possibility?

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Kind of funny but when I was much younger and in the Navy I was returning to Mobile AL from an overseas deployment and has been awake for the last 20 hours.

Well, to make a long story even longer, at that time Airlines in the south made many short hops and somehow I slept through the stop in Mobile and woke up in New Orleans. They flew me back to Mobile (no charge), but I was told the aircrew that let me sleep through would likely get in very serious trouble. It bothered me for years.

whbates on May 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

She needs to sue her parents…for breeding.

HornetSting on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

That interview is five minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I might sue here for wasting my time.

SagebrushPuppet on May 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

On cattle call flights I’m on full alert after landing to avoid getting my clock cleaned by some klutz’s suitcase that he or she is desperately wrestling out of the overhead compartment. Short-haul flying nowadays is too much like taking the ‘hound or riding the subway to not be somewhat cautious.

viking01 on May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

The crew always does a walk through; I just don’t see how they missed her unless they didn’t do the final check. Based on your experience, is that a possibility? – Pilgrim

I don’t know what kind of plane it was, maybe it was a smaller plane with only one F/A and he/she keeps her stuff at the front of the plane and this twit, errr, passenger was at the back, maybe the Crew got lazy and didn’t walk all the way to the back … I guess it’s ‘possible’ … but on the planes I work on, 737s, two F/As keep their stuff in the back and must walk to the front to deplane … I can’t see how they’d possibly miss her. No freakin’ way.

Tony737 on May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

“Based on your experience, is that a possibility?”

Anything can happen at least once.

GarandFan on May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

obladioblada on May 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Yep, that would explain sleeping through the landing and people de-planing. If true then even more reason it’s her own fault!

Liberty or Death on May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

“I’ve been wronged!! And I’ll need a cool $10 million to feel better!”

Caper29 on May 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM

How’d she end up on a locked plane at 4 a.m., then?

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

She actually started on a mysterious island and flashed sideways.

amerpundit on May 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Allahpundit on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Allah, let me answer your question with a question:
How does someone load a magazine with a bullet that’s backwards?

Answer: With skill and lots of determination.

Rightwingguy on May 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

True, but even so, the alarm will still work. -Tony737

Not necessarily. A smartphone with an airplane mode will still have a functional alarm, but many more basic cell phones only have on/off.

The anchor was also saying the lady should have had her mother call when she landed, which is a definite impossibility since even a smartphone no phone could receive a call if turned off.

All that said, I’ve flown thousands of times and never seen a crew not pass through back to front for a final check and wake-up call. I don’t think this is tort-worthy, but it’s still surprising. I think the passenger actually does have a reasonable expectation that they won’t be left alone and asleep on a plane.

Then again, I have 2 young kids. If I had the option of a few hours of uninterrupted sleep on a quiet locked airplane, I’d take it and say “thank you”. :-)

SoRight on May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM