Finally: The photo op that America’s been waiting for; Video: BP buses in workers to clean beach for Obama

posted at 8:09 pm on May 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

The good stuff starts about halfway through, when O does his “I’m engaged, see?” pose by stooping down to poke at the tar balls on the beach. I want this photo blown up to poster size and available for framing so that I can remind myself, in my moments of doubt, that he really does care.

Via JWF, here’s a detail that … won’t surprise you in the least, actually:

Perhaps you saw news footage of President Obama in Grand Isle, La., on Friday and thought things didn’t look all that bad. Well, there may have been a reason for that: The town was evidently swarmed by an army of temp workers to spruce it up for the president and the national news crews following him.

Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts, whose district encompasses Grand Isle, told Yahoo! News that BP bused in “hundreds” of temporary workers to clean up local beaches. And as soon as the president was en route back to Washington, the workers were clearing out of Grand Isle too, Roberts said.

“The level of cleanup and cooperation we’ve gotten from BP in the past is in no way consistent to the effort shown on the island today,” Roberts said by telephone. “As soon as the president left, they were immediately put back on the buses and sent home.”

They actually use the term “Potemkin-style backdrop” to describe what happened. While on the scene, Obama said, “BP is the responsible party for this disaster. But as I said yesterday and as I repeated in the meeting we just left, I ultimately take responsibility for solving this crisis. I’m the president, and the buck stops with me.” Does that mean the phony backdrop is his responsibility too? Considering that he’s already using a phony timeline to defend the feds’ response after BP’s rig first exploded, I’m going to go ahead and vote “yes.”

“Top kill” is proceeding apace, meanwhile, but it’ll be another day or two before we know if it worked. Exit question: Who’s that guy over Obama’s left shoulder in this video? He looks awfully shady.

Update: Ah, here’s that Potemkin-style backdrop now. And this wasn’t the only one. Tapper tells me that they were up to the same shenanigans on the beach where the media was headquartered, no doubt desperate to convince the cameras that the coastline wasn’t in quite as bad shape as has been claimed. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

GTR640 on May 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

What are you babbling about, who is they? Sounds like you are defending nObama’s course of action…………

dmann on May 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM

labwriter on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

This may seem petty, but it looks like Erkle is wearing somebody else’s workboots. They don’t fit, his left leg is way too skinny for the boot top. Guess he didn’t want to get his good shoes dirty.

AZfederalist on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

labwriter on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Just beat me to it. GMTA

AZfederalist on May 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Post turtle.

justltl on May 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Kind of like slick Willie at Normandy. So moving.

Wyatt Wingfoot on May 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I thought the same thing.

Why, I just know Dear Leader cares than more me. Really I do.

PalmettoPatriot on May 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

can someone please fotochop him taking a dump on the american flag.. Please.

moonbatkiller on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

cares than more more than me.

FIFM. haha

No doubts I was so very moved by his deep care that I was too emotionally impacted to type correctly. Now where’s that choir of d*** angels? Must be at a union meeting.

Oh, oh, can we start calling him Slick Barry? The name fits in so very many ways.

PalmettoPatriot on May 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Obama Dandy to the rescue!
Obama Dandy to the rescue!
Obama Dandy to the rescue!
Go, Obama Dandy! Gooooooo!

He came riding in on a submarine
Got a message from a mermaid queen
She was hanging on an oily fishing line
Mr. Dandy didn’t waste no time!
Obama Dandy to the rescue!
Go, Obama Dandy! Go, Obama Dandy!

Cheshire Cat on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

One day, he went down to the old bayou
All there were feeling kind of blue
He’s Obama Dandy, such a great guy
He can’t stand to see a Cajun cry
Obama Dandy to the rescue!
Go, Obama Dandy! Go, Obama Dandy!

Cheshire Cat on May 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Cheshire Cat on May 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Where have y’all been?

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

et tu Joe Satriani?

Did you lose your brains with your hair? Or just your ability to read?

rihar on May 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

The guy over Obama’s left shoulder sure looks like a Chumba Wumba to me.

OxyCon on May 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Are the golf balls BP is now using a poke at Obama?

BAARRY SQUATS ON bEACH CAPTION;

Obama discover there is sand outside of a sand trap.

profitsbeard on May 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Obama: Ewww. It’s icky around here. The sand is cleaner in Hawaii.

Steve Z on May 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM

WTF is Crist doing in LA? Kissing Obama’s…. ring again?

Dandapani on May 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

He wanted the cameras to capture that he’s darker than Obama.

Schadenfreude on May 29, 2010 at 12:58 AM

George Lucas?

BDU-33 on May 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Now we know what Obowma looks like when he takes a dump on the carpet in the Oval Office…

… Nice!

Seven Percent Solution on May 29, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Ain’t no way in He!! I’m clicking on that.The only vid I want to see concerning Bambi and oil is him drowning in it.

DDT on May 29, 2010 at 3:23 AM

BP bused in “hundreds” of temporary workers to clean up local beaches.

Last summer the unions bused in temporary constituents to town hall meetings… this year BP buses in temporary workers. Who will be bused in next year?

On the plus side, of course, all these temporary workers are more jobs created by the Obama Administration, right?

malclave on May 29, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Was Obama supposed to return the salute of those two Marines(?) outside the helicopter?

Jaynie59 on May 29, 2010 at 5:25 AM

Like anyone is buying this, really.

Action! Camera!

Terrye on May 29, 2010 at 6:29 AM

malclave on May 29, 2010 at 3:23 AM

And he sends the real workers home for the day when speaking at a solar panel plant.

UnderstandingisPower on May 29, 2010 at 7:59 AM

“Oh Damn! More TAR BALLS in the sand trap! Hand me my wedge! I’ll show you how to deal with these!”

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM

I wonder who he borrowed those work boots from. One thing we know for sure, they don’t belong to him. labwriter on May 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

They are not work boots, they are golf shoe covers! Whenever Pharaoh goes near sand he wears them. He borrowed them from his caddy who is just behind him, and to the right.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 29, 2010 at 8:09 AM

“This entire White House and this federal government has been singularly focused on how do we stop the leak and how do we prevent and mitigate the damage to our coastlines,” Obama said

But he insisted that Washington is the one giving the orders and has the authority to direct BP to change course.

“From the moment this disaster began, the federal government has been in charge of the response effort,” Obama said. “BP is operating at our direction.”

Obama said it – BP is operating at his direction. It was another typical Obama photo-op. Pathetic.

sarainitaly on May 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Well, maybe Obama should walk the coast line, then all the beaches would get cleaned.

JellyToast on May 29, 2010 at 8:46 AM

i really, really hate to say this, but W did the same kind of thing during Katrina. It must be written in the WH PR manual.

rock the casbah on May 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Don’t pick on the Chitown Chicom

Chicom. He still thinks Sea shells and Shell Oil are connected.

seven on May 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I am sorry, I can not believe a word spoken or in most cases recited by President Obama. Now he start claiming he was there on day one, where? I never saw him anywhere near LA. nor did I hear a word on the Gulf until directed to because someone told him he better say something soon.

But the icing was his refusal to uphold the tradition that this weekend was established – laying the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Instead he chooses to go on vacation – do U.S. a favor and do not come back. Just give the keys to our house to the pilot of A.F. One and have him return them to the next occupant.

MSGTAS on May 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM

The intellectual indolence of this man disgusts me, and the fact that the American people once thought he was the best person to become President is horrifying.

If we were simply determined to be the first Western democracy ever to elect a racial minority to lead us, there are many persons more worthy and capable than this buffoon that we could have chosen.

The millions of passionate, intelligent, hard-working minorities who love America and love its people don’t deserve–any more than any other American does–the first minority President to go down in history as so grossly incompetent that he eclipsed the previous worst within 18 months of starting the job.

This man isn’t calm, composed and reasoned–he’s a shell with a moral and intellectual vaccuum inside. And the keys to the kingdom’s Ferrari in his hand.

rwenger43 on May 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM

can someone please fotochop him taking a dump on the american flag.. Please.

moonbatkiller on May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Dude- you know that you have too much respect for the flag to want to see that, right.

However, since I like to be accomodating, here’s a totally tasteless (warning) one of the prez on the beach which is in keeping with how much respect he deserves.

justltl on May 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM

This just may be the best post you’ve ever written, AP.

Very good job!

Lourdes on May 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM

PHOTO CAPTION:

Obama bows to the tar balls.

Lourdes on May 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I just get tired of seeing the skinny-ass punk with his sleeves rolled up as if he were actually going to do something. Who with any brains would go to an oil spill area in a white shirt? And what do you suppose he is going to have to say about those little tar balls that are common place down there? It isn’t about tar balls, Capt. Snerd.

LarryG on May 29, 2010 at 3:30 PM

There ! Satisfied now you right wing racists ?? He is there. It doesn’t matter that it took a month, it is a very busy job being POTUS you know, so leave him alone !!! RACISTS!!!

/enter frequent HA libtroll of your choice at 8:17 PM