Finally: The photo op that America’s been waiting for; Video: BP buses in workers to clean beach for Obama

posted at 8:09 pm on May 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

The good stuff starts about halfway through, when O does his “I’m engaged, see?” pose by stooping down to poke at the tar balls on the beach. I want this photo blown up to poster size and available for framing so that I can remind myself, in my moments of doubt, that he really does care.

Via JWF, here’s a detail that … won’t surprise you in the least, actually:

Perhaps you saw news footage of President Obama in Grand Isle, La., on Friday and thought things didn’t look all that bad. Well, there may have been a reason for that: The town was evidently swarmed by an army of temp workers to spruce it up for the president and the national news crews following him.

Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts, whose district encompasses Grand Isle, told Yahoo! News that BP bused in “hundreds” of temporary workers to clean up local beaches. And as soon as the president was en route back to Washington, the workers were clearing out of Grand Isle too, Roberts said.

“The level of cleanup and cooperation we’ve gotten from BP in the past is in no way consistent to the effort shown on the island today,” Roberts said by telephone. “As soon as the president left, they were immediately put back on the buses and sent home.”

They actually use the term “Potemkin-style backdrop” to describe what happened. While on the scene, Obama said, “BP is the responsible party for this disaster. But as I said yesterday and as I repeated in the meeting we just left, I ultimately take responsibility for solving this crisis. I’m the president, and the buck stops with me.” Does that mean the phony backdrop is his responsibility too? Considering that he’s already using a phony timeline to defend the feds’ response after BP’s rig first exploded, I’m going to go ahead and vote “yes.”

“Top kill” is proceeding apace, meanwhile, but it’ll be another day or two before we know if it worked. Exit question: Who’s that guy over Obama’s left shoulder in this video? He looks awfully shady.

Update: Ah, here’s that Potemkin-style backdrop now. And this wasn’t the only one. Tapper tells me that they were up to the same shenanigans on the beach where the media was headquartered, no doubt desperate to convince the cameras that the coastline wasn’t in quite as bad shape as has been claimed. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Feel the healing of his divine touch, oh Ocean!

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Look, thar be Erol ‘ere!

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

President Tar Balls it is then.

Weight of Glory on May 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Washington Post:

Three months before the massive BP oil spill erupted in the Gulf of Mexico, the Obama administration proposed downsizing the Coast Guard national coordination center for oil spill responses, prompting its senior officers to warn that the agency’s readiness for catastrophic events would be weakened.

Unbelievable.

amerpundit on May 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM

And now, back to golf and phoning it in.

pfamis on May 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Video has no sound

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Well, Sunshine Charlie is one the job. Healing the waters off Louisiana with The Messiah. BTW, where the hell is Kendrick Meek? Has Bill Clinton already made him a job offer?

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Kind of like slick Willie at Normandy. So moving.

Wyatt Wingfoot on May 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Message: “I care”.

– Your daddy, er god

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Did he form the tar balls into the shape of a cross and move his lips in silent prayer like Slick on the Normandy beach?

a capella on May 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Looks like he’s holding hands with a new girlfriend on the beach as they draw a heart in the sand, How sweet!

TheBigOldDog on May 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Were is the one were he is walking on the water?

Caper29 on May 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Wyatt Wingfoot on May 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Yer in my head.

a capella on May 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

When I saw the photo of His Holiness, I immediately began speaking in tongues. I have been cured of my libertarian-leaning ways!

foucaultsvac on May 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

He looks at Obama very wistfully, don’tcha think?

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Feigning interest is something he excels at.

Bee on May 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

What a tucking fool.

profitsbeard on May 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Too little, too late.

diogenes on May 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Feigning interest is something he excels at.

Bee on May 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

And without a teleprompter, no less

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Why is there never a Kraken around when you need’em?

CPT. Charles on May 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Looks like he’s about to take a cr*p on the beach. Hope he does a better job of burying it than my cats do. :-P

Mary in LA on May 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

It’s too bad someone didn’t put a poisonous tar ball in his lunch today.

metric on May 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Why wasn’t Malia there with him to see what he hole did ?

macncheez on May 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Reminds me of this…

thebrokenrattle on May 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Hey, peasants er, Fellow Americans,

Look at me! Look at me! I walked on a less-than-pristine beach (wish I was in Hawaii), and picked up something yucky. Too bad you have to live with this crap.

Hope y’all realize how much I care, and maybe now I can get back to my vacation job. MO’s heading out to Chi-Town, and I need to go ’cause there must be someone there who still likes me, like Big Daddy Daley.

Hope you like the pretty pictures. Good, eh?

Regards to all you pathetic, bitter clingers,

The Zero, POTUS. (Remember this…. I won.)

Cody1991 on May 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Why wasn’t Malia there with him to see what he hole did ?

macncheez on May 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

He didn’t want to expose her to leadership aka Jindal.

MeatHeadinCA on May 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Okay,now I know Bill Clinton is in Co-hoots with Bill Clinton,I take you back to the Anniversey of D-Day,and
it just so happens that Bill was on the beach,and just
so happened to stumble on some stones,in which he arra
nged into a cross,bent-over in almost the exact position
that Obama was in on the beach!!

The best picture I can find,in such short notice is on
Amy Proctors site,scroll down to Anniversity of Normandy!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM

OK, I am going to have to take a break here, for the life of me I cannot seem to arrive at a word that adequately describes my feelings for this administration. No small feat that, as my family is always reminding that I am never at loss for words, even when they wish it were otherwise. Please feel free to offer a suggestion, for starters I have already found these to be lacking sufficient punch.

Detestable
Abhorent
Deplorable
Objectionable
Turgid
Reprehensible
Hateful

Archimedes on May 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM

D*mmits thats Co-hoots with Obama!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Cheesy.
Inane.
Egomaniacal.
Blase.
B.S.

profitsbeard on May 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Isn’t this racist? Not accusing AP. It’s all over the news.

You left out the “not”, you idiotic megalomaniacal teenager.

What a tucking fool.

profitsbeard on May 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Winner – close the thread.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Shouldn’t this be a caption contest?

King Canute on the Seashore.

“How dare you!” Obama shouted. “Oil, turn back now! I have ordered you to retreat before me, and now you must obey! Go back!”

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Is it just me, or did I see Obama pointing that finger at the damn sand? Jeez, finger pointing once again. Does this ever end?

Keemo on May 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Just like Bill,Liberal fakeness!!

I nailed it!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Well, just maybe we will not have to see this bho on the tube while he is on his vacation. To go a day without this bho on the tube will make my day!
L

letget on May 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Narcissistic
Ignorant
Pinocchian
Manchurian
Chavezian
Muenchhausean
Self-aggrandizing
Detached from reality
Arrogant

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

He got his shoes a little dirty.

THE HORROR!

Moesart on May 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Whats up with Obama’s pants when he’s heading to the chopper. What the heck is in the back of his pants? Ballistic armor? Two Crunchwrap Supremes? Two Frisbees?
The more you look, the weirder it gets.

gordo on May 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Shouldn’t this be a caption contest?

King Canute on the Seashore.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

OK, how long do I have to squat like this before I can go on vaca with Rahm and Valerie … dang, I wanna go golfing now. See, I said “gulf!”

MeatHeadinCA on May 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Where is the equipment and permits Mr. Obama?

jukin on May 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Obama guessed poorly. He planned to “take responsibility” for stopping the leak just as BP plugged it.

But…

The top kill didn’t take, making Obama look like an ineffective, well, tarball poker.

ROCnPhilly on May 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

David Brooks and his cohorts must be orgasmic over this. Really. Just look at Zip pick up slog off the beach. No one can do it like him! So delicate. Soooooooo….. cerebral. And those remarks. So deep, so concerned, so understanding.

It’s enough to make MoDo grab her vibrator. Brooks is worried about the humidity wrecking the crease in his trousers, and Zip just wants to get on with his (endless) vacation.

This administration is like watching SNL day after day after day on a 24/7 loop.

Cody1991 on May 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

a capella on May 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

a capella: D*mmit,you beat me to it,most awesome recall!!:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Shouldn’t this be a caption contest?

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Thar (tahr), goat, meets tar.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Execrable
Odious
Abominable

gordo on May 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Okay,its official, Obama is Slick Willie,and Sestak
is guilty,

start the Impeachment proceedings!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Another set of Greek Columns? Damn, I feel sorry for Potemkin…after all that effort, they’ll now be called ‘Obama Villages’.

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Was this the same fake Soviet crowd from the “Asteroid” speech at NASA?

tetriskid on May 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I’m manufacturing Outrageous Outrage!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Where is his staff?

I thought he would just part the oil from the sea?

DeathB4Tyranny on May 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM

‘Gulf? OH, I thought you said GOLF!’
Did you plug that hole yet, Daddy?

HornetSting on May 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I want that tar ball! The one with Oilbama’s thunb print in it. Imagine what some rich leftist turd would pay for it ala ebay.

RalphyBoy on May 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

AUINSC:)
=====================================================

Spinal Tap – Stonehenge

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

gordo on May 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Matching bullet-proof Blackberry’s?

CPT. Charles on May 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Is it just me, or does the beach look ok? As in, wait 6 months and you’ll never know there was a problem here.

El_Terrible on May 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM

By tomorrow,I want to see side-by-side photos of Bill at Normandy and Obama on the beach,so America gets the connection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Bill covering for SestakGate,timing is everything!!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Would the Gulf officially now be considered Holy water?

trs on May 28, 2010 at 8:52 PM

The more you look, the weirder it gets.

gordo on May 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Its wierd alright . On more careful examination me thinks he has plugged the hole..thats Depends pantylines

macncheez on May 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM

So, he’s having a deep, meaningful, heart-wrenching on-site examination of a cleaned beach?

yo on May 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I noticed how odd Obama looked from the back. Do you think he had something injected in his backside to make him look sexy to his Chicago boyfriends?

erp on May 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM

“BP is the responsible party for this disaster. But as I said yesterday and as I repeated in the meeting we just left, I ultimately take responsibility for solving this crisis and if it can’t be solved, it’s all Bush’s fault”.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Maybe this bho took a bit off mo rear and had it transplanted?
L

letget on May 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

In the CNN tape he looks like he just found a small shell on the beach. If this is the picture he wants to be reminded of, from this crisis, it’s a big fail.

In the video with Crist he looks like a fool, talking from his last century cards. CAN this Pretender not speak from the heart in the midst of such a disaster, not for 2 minuetes?

Anyone who thinks this guy is smart is an utter fool.

That includes you, Peggy Noonan. But, you, lady, are not thinking with your brain as regards this world class cheat.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

WHAT WAS OBAMA WRITING IN THE SAND??

But Jesus Obama stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

This guy is such a cheap farce. He doesn’t have a damn clue how to lead, or what to do. Why didn’t he just take a goddamned helicopter? And I love the way he slaps people on the back in his “boy, howdie” move.

What a jackass!

GTR640 on May 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

The other video makes Petemkin feel indignant.

Chavez has more credibility.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

By golly I am so relieved. And it looks as if the Light Bringer has also relieved himself.

Dhuka on May 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Spinal Tap – Stonehenge

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Heh…classic. Maybe Obama violated a copyright there somewhere too.

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

He was looking at the shell and he saw the Universe and a big tear came out of the corner of his eye and when it fell it turned into a Diamond and there were one million colors reflected from the diamond and in each one was the story of hope and change and oil spills caused by President Bush.

Or maybe he’s never been to the beach. I think that’s quite possible, actually.

GTR640 on May 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM

The ONE !”

William Amos on May 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Off topic, but what kind of shoes is Obama wearing? When he leans over, you can see that they’re something my Grandfather might have worn!

kenprice on May 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I hope he kept that shell, by the way. That’s what you’re supposed to do when you go to the beach. You find an interesting shell, put it in your pocket! When you get home, put it on your dresser and when you look at you remember the beach and the good times you had.

So I hope he put that little shell in his trouser pocket.

GTR640 on May 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM

This is getting downright creepy …

How do you hide a 15000 sq mile oil slick? Caused by big government totally bungling the whole containment and cleanup.

one little two little tar balls, three little four little tar balls.

Is the whole administration devoid of anyone who knows anything?

It’s all about campaign cash for MMS waivers …

tarpon on May 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Jesus just left Chicago, and he’s bound for New Orleans.

Looks like ZZ Top got it backwards.

GnuBreed on May 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Video has no sound

Kini on May 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

agmartin on May 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Update: Ah, here’s that Potemkin-style backdrop now.

Dog and pony show.

RalphyBoy on May 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Okay,its official, Obama is Slick Willie,and Sestak
is guilty,

start the Impeachment proceedings!!

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Bill Dandy to the rescue!
Bill Dandy to the rescue!
Bill Dandy to the rescue!
Go, Bill Dandy! Go, Bill Dandy!

He was sittin’ there in his office on a Harlen building top
Stainin’ dresses till he was about to drop
Obama came on bended knee, his presidency on a runaway course
Uh huh, that’s right, of course
Bill Dandy to the rescue!
Go, Bill Dandy! Go, Bill Dandy!

Cheshire Cat on May 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

MSM & talk radio Tu’n me loose, fo’ I kick de natal stuffin’ outen you,’ sez da One, sezee, but de Tar-Baby, she ain’t sayin’ nuthin’
jus kepa pokin dem tar balls

Uncle Remus should be called in by BP & Axelrod. I’m sure he can do something with this mess! /s

wepeople on May 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

It has to be some kind of bulletproof panties. I’ve never seen anything like it, either.

Remember the “bullet-resistant” fabric of his inaugural speech suit all the press mentioned?

Bulletproof panties…heh. I guess Biden isn’t enough life insurance anymore.

Who is John Galt on May 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

It occurs to me that Obama himself may serve as a suitable plug for that hole. With an ego and attitude that big, that could accept a Nobel prize for not doing anything . . . yes! Yes, it just might be large enough! And because his ego is always expanding any fractures cause by plugging him, headfirst, into the orifice would be more than compensated for and the swelling balloon that is Obama would alleviate any pressure in the orifice!

GTR640 on May 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

UPDATE:

His entire candidacy and post-candidacy, er Presidency, is one giant photo-op.

Oh, and the media sucks.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Alternatively, this seems like a great opportunity (remember, Rahm says a crisis is a terrible thing to waste!) to increase employment. Just send all the unemployed to Louisiana and pay them each $100 to eat a tar ball. Problem solved. Problem freakin solved, man!

GTR640 on May 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Obama will never get over the memory… the feelthe existential presence… of that tarball. It’s chthonic. Iconic.

Marketable.

In fact, that tarball will be central in Barack’s newest memoir~ coming out, coincidentally, in 2012 ~just in time for the elections, entitled:

DREAMS OF HOPE, CHANGE OF PLANS

Which blames the first year in office on inherited problems, the second on unpredictable disasters, the third on personal gaffes, and will be neatly summed up in his campign slogan

“I GAVE IT MY BEST, NOW GIVE ME YOURS!”

(“Now give me yours” proving to be the essence of Obama.)

profitsbeard on May 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM

As if I needed Obozo’s image as a pathetic, shameless poser to be reinforced any more.

AubieJon on May 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM

WTF is Crist doing in LA? Kissing Obama’s…. ring again?

Dandapani on May 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

“I GAVE IT MY BEST, NOW GIVE ME YOURS!”

(“Now give me yours” proving to be the essence of Obama.)

profitsbeard on May 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM

profitsbeard:I can’t for the after school special!!:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Hmmmm.

“President Tar Balls it is then.

Weight of Glory on May 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM”

For the Win!

memomachine on May 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

WTF is Crist doing in LA? Kissing Obama’s…. ring again?

Dandapani on May 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

So? Don’t judge him…he needs a job…really bad.

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Go, Bill Dandy! Go, Bill Dandy!

Cheshire Cat on May 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Cheshire Cat:Tee-hee:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Spinal Tap – Stonehenge

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM
=====================
Heh…classic. Maybe Obama violated a copyright there somewhere too.

AUINSC on May 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

AUINSC:Hehe,ya,his term so far is a Violation,ahem!!:)

canopfor on May 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I’m so thankful he reminded us he is the president–It almost slipped my mind.

dragondrop on May 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

a capella on May 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Wondered the exact same thing. Too funny.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Interesting. I believe Ed and most of the MSM reported it yesterday morning as definitively successful.

Now that 80% of the country probably thinks this spill is over and done with, next time could we exercise a little skepticism when breathlessly reporting breaking news? At minimum, post an update if it turns out that initial reports were too optimistic.

Missy on May 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Obama, plug your da*mned pie hole.

MikeA on May 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Even if “top kill” works, they will say of this disaster that Obama was playing politics and selling senior leadership positions (just like Blagoyevich) instead of exercising actual leadership. And that the media and a former president were helping him do it.

GTR640 on May 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

a capella on May 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

LOL — I flashbacked to that, too, when I saw this. What hokey theater. Barry isn’t quite the dramatic actor that Bubba is, though.

NoLeftTurn on May 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Behold the mind numbing power of pigment…..All Hail the Messiah!

dmann on May 28, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I love that no one is covering up the quickie clean up for the visit. Is it suppose to put the nation at easy that things aren’t as bad as the seem? Is Mr. Obama going to be able to stop the obligatory oil covered dying animals video from being broadcast?

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM

The best writing on this was from Palin. I note that Hot Air got that off the real discussion radar fast.

Figures.

AnninCA on May 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM

On the matter of Obama using props -

Netanyahu, Obama’s newest prop

Bibi is returning to the White House — and not for a “beer summit”. Indicators suggest that the Israeli prime minister may be weakening. He better not.

The Democratic Party is feeling the heat for US President Barack Obama’s hostility towards Israel. In an interview with Israel’s Channel 10 earlier this month, Democratic Party mega-donor Haim Saban characterized the Obama administration as ideologically aligned with the radical Left and harshly criticized its treatment of Israel.

Both Ma’ariv and Yediot Ahronot reported this week that Democratic congressmen and senators as deeply concerned that the administration’s harsh treatment of Israel has convinced many American Jews not to contribute to their reelection campaigns or to the Democratic Party in the upcoming mid-term elections. They also fear that American Jews will vote for Republican challengers in large numbers.

It is these concerns, rather than a decision to alter his positions on Israel specifically and the Middle East generally that now drive Obama’s relentless courtship of the American Jewish community. His latest move in this sphere was his sudden invitation to Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to visit him at the White House for a “warm reception” in front of television cameras next Tuesday.

It is clear that electoral worries rather than policy concerns are behind what the White House has described as a “charm offensive,” because since launching this offensive a few weeks ago, Obama has not changed any of his policies towards Israel and the wider Middle East. In fact, he has ratcheted up these policies to Israel’s detriment.

Tav on May 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Regarding the picture:
Is Obama showing how he can hold back the tide just by his magnificent presence?

GarandFan on May 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM