Charlie Crist reverses position on “don’t ask, don’t tell” — in span of three days

posted at 9:26 pm on May 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

Serious question: Is there something clinically wrong with this guy? All politicians are opportunistic and some are really opportunistic, but I feel like we’re watching a different species of animal here. It’s not the shamelessness, which is hardly unique to him; it’s the almost complete indifference to being seen as shameless. Remember the blithe wink when he reversed himself and said he’d be keeping those donations that he’d initially said he’d “probably” refund? Remember his already legendary performance on Fox News Sunday, swearing up and down that he wouldn’t leave the party to run as an independent just one month before he did? It’s one thing to lie to further your ambition, it’s another to have no compunction about doing it, and it’s something else yet to seemingly not care that people perceive you as a liar. How does a normal human intellect navigate that?

With Congress moving toward votes on repealing the policy that prohibits gays from serving openly in the military, Crist dropped his support for continuing the ban. As recently as Monday, Crist told reporters that the current policy, “has worked pretty well for America.”

But by Thursday, Crist said he supports the repeal.

“Ultimately, as in all military matters, I defer to the Pentagon and to the generals and what the Senate is doing today is giving them the ultimate authority to do what is best for our military,” Crist said. “So, I would be inclined to support the Senate’s action on this.”…

Crist’s leading Democratic opponent, U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek, who has fought to repeal the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy for years, ripped the governor as “willing to say or do anything to get elected.”…

Meek said Crist’s wavering positions on offshore oil-drilling — which he was against, then supported, and now opposes again — and a legislative bill repealing teacher tenure that he earlier supported but ultimately vetoed, marks him as untrustworthy to voters.

Rubio’s camp ripped him too, of course. I can’t believe I’m writing this, but according to a third-party candidate’s internal poll, Crist currently leads with 40 percent of the vote. Rubio’s next with 32 and Meek’s slogging along with just 10 percent. We’re near the point, I think, where this guy winning the race would singlehandedly detonate the tea-party “reform” narrative that’s brewing in November. Even if Rand Paul and Sharron Angle and Allen West and a bunch of others sweep to victory, how do you take that as evidence that voters want a new breed of politician when the most disgraceful careerist in the political universe will have knocked off Rubio in a key swing state? I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.

Comments

Crist out of the closet on DADT?

VidOmnia on May 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM

More fun.

SlaveDog on May 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM

“Outrage”-ous!

Jorge Bonilla on May 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Now there is a principled man.

DrMagnolias on May 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Just think. There’s five more months for Charlie Crist to flip flop and stick his foot in his mouth. He’s unbridled now.

SlaveDog on May 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM

If Crist gets elected then we need to get down to the northern border of Florida with some concrete saws and cut the entire state away from the CONUS.

Bishop on May 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.

Steady, Eeyore.

tru2tx on May 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Flip-flop, flip-flop, flip-flop. The sound of politics.

OldEnglish on May 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Meh – Charlie is just being Charlie. I can’t get worked up about anything he says or does anymore. He doesn’t stand for anything we don’t see out of Washington on a daily basis.

Fascinating news about those poll numbers though. After the Blumenthal news, it’s like voters love, love, love crooks, liars, cheats and imbeciles.

AUINSC on May 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Bishop on May 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Let’s use that as a warm-up for California, okay?

DrMagnolias on May 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Is Charlie having a breakdown?

GFW on May 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Wait until Meek and Rubio really start pounding him, the AFL-CIO mobilizes for the former, and conservative groups really mobilize for the latter.

Remember, Scott Brown was behind at one point, too. Snarlin Arlen was on course to leave both Toomey and Sestak in his dust.

amerpundit on May 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM

First time in my life that I have to admit….. I agree with Kendrick Meek.
Now I have to go take a shower.

JeffinOrlando on May 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM

It’s a long time to November. I still think Crist is not going to win. He will not hold the Democrats or Independents and he’s going to lose the vast majority of Republicans. He has limited ability to fund-raise. Give it some time. Have a little faith. Wait for a debate or two.

Jill1066 on May 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM

It appears that being a shameless liar is working well for Blumenthal so why wouldn’t it work of Crist?

chemman on May 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM

If Christ wins there is no hope for the electorate.

I’d prefer to see Meek win the whole thing rather that Chrshit.

rickyricardo on May 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Wait until Meek and Rubio really start pounding him

Heh.

Jorge Bonilla on May 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Orange you glad he decided to run as an independent.
Where is JetBoy to explain this idiocy and tell us we are all racist against oranges?

HornetSting on May 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Have they even had one debate out of the FoxNews appearance together? Don’t Senate candidates usually have debates? Sheesh. As I recall Marco started out 40 points down to the GOVERNOR — who he chased out of the primary! Calma, senor.

Marcus on May 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM

“Serious question: Is there something clinically wrong with this guy? All politicians are opportunistic and some are really opportunistic, but I feel like we’re watching a different species of animal here. It’s not the shamelessness, which is hardly unique to him; it’s the almost complete indifference to being seen as shameless…”

“It’s one thing to lie to further your ambition, it’s another to have no compunction about doing it, and it’s something else yet to seemingly not care that people perceive you as a liar. How does a normal human intellect navigate that?”

Whoa; I know it said Crist on the link, but for a second I thought I had wandered into another thread about Obama.

Midas on May 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Um, Ya thanyk?

Crist is a candyazzed, whiny-baby little pizzant. For that reason alone, he has a reasonable chance of winning…’Kay gang…get off ur own blue-haired keesters (I’m one of ya’ll btw…just not in Fl) and work like dogs for Rubio. Please-abeez-abeez with sugar on top?

Chewy the Lab on May 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Well, someone has to carry the Arlen Specter legacy.

The Republic and the people demand it.

Really, this guy makes Specter look like Thomas More.

SteveMG on May 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Bishop on May 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Whoa, hold on there. Crist may be a nutjob, but he’s our nutjob. It took us a long time to bring him up through the ranks so he can so effectively titillate and entertain us.

We’ll deal with Charlie in due course.

This year, the debates will matter.

Or I’ll bring the saw.

SlaveDog on May 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM

We’ll deal with Charlie in due course.

This year, the debates will matter.

Or I’ll bring the saw.

SlaveDog on May 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I’m bringing my chainsaw to help Bishop…you better get your sh(t together down there, Dog…

HornetSting on May 27, 2010 at 9:44 PM

How does a normal human intellect navigate that?……

This is no normal human. He is void of any hint of compassion or sympathy for any other human. He’s one of the early generations of Me Me Me Me Me….. take care, we have a bunch more coming.

PaCadle on May 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Jeez, Obama is in the ratings gutter this morning and plays the “Daddy, did you pwug da hole?” card and every single evening newscast, every one used that tonight. Marco has yet to play the cute kids card and he is loaded with them. He’s not going to lose.

Marcus on May 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM

If Crist wins, I’m moving South Carolina. That’s where all the action is, anyway.

SlaveDog on May 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM

How does a normal human intellect navigate that?

Or sleep at night?

Floridians love an orange-skinned candidate.

John the Libertarian on May 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I am a gay Republican who endorses the repeal of DADT. Crist may have the right position now on the repeal of DADT, but he has no honor, no integrity. Vote Rubio.

SC.Charlie on May 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

SlaveDog on May 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Sorry no. If Crist gets elected, the entire state of Florida is set adrift, one day to bump into and then be annexed by Cuba.

While we’re at it, Minnesota can go too, that entire state is nothing but a bunch of Walleye-eating fools. Sell the place to Canada and be done with it.

Bishop on May 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

This guy really is the gold standard of shameless careerists.

Slublog on May 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.
Steady, Eeyore.

tru2tx on May 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Gotta go with AP on this one. If a politician this transparantly unprincipled (or possibly mentally ill) can get elected after everything we have been through as a nation in the past two years, we can’t save the republic in its current form. imho

Kataklysmic on May 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Quality post and thread! Crist should lose in the end; on the state level we’re almost, completely Republican. Independents do well until the way end. So it may be a bumpy ride, but Crist will go down into flames.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on May 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM

SlaveDog on May 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM

‘Action’…yeah. Chris Dodd could get ‘action’ in SC and not have to pay for it….

HornetSting on May 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM

He’s looking at polls that erroneously say that most people are okay with gays serving openly in the military.
Of course the polls are wrong just like the polls that claimed most people in liberal California and liberal Maine were for gay marriage. The only polls that matter are at the election booths and even liberal states do not approve of gay marriage.
You can not convince me that even though most liberal state residents are against gay marriage but are okay with gays prancing around “serving openly” (whatever that means) and taking showers with young straight men who signed up to serve their country.

LeeSeneca on May 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Did this guy purchase Pat Boone’s sunlamp? Geez, it’s the Sunshine state stupid.

Hummer53 on May 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I have to admit that smarmy smile of Crist’s in that photo ticks me off, and I’m not the type of person to let such things bother me. I don’t like douchebags and this guy has a look that says “I will do or say whatever it takes to win because I’m a douchebag.”

Bishop on May 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

John McCain shed a tear at the sheer beauty of such magnanimous duplicity.

The Race Card on May 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Floridians have been voting Crist into offices for over a decade. What did you guys expect? Hes not a senile old fool like Specter and he doesn’t have a reputation for spitting on the little people like the Kennedys so he isn’t that unpopular with the non-political citizen. Rubio is a little young and unknown and so is Meek.

Speedwagon82 on May 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.

No, it just means Florida is a complete embarassment.

Emily M. on May 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM

This guy really is the gold standard of shameless careerists.

Slublog on May 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

No, no, he is the Silver Medalist behind Obama. I mean Obama rebersed himself with in 24 hours on tape about Israel. One statement to AIPAC and maybe 12 hours later complete opposite. no wonder Crist was drawn to him for the hug. He was begging for some pointers when they got close up, looks like he got them!

bluemarlin on May 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Obama REVERSED himself

for my last post

bluemarlin on May 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.
No, it just means Florida is a complete embarassment.

Emily M. on May 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Yes, I agree, it would mean Floridians have lost all sanity!

bluemarlin on May 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Emily M. on May 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM

They’ll never top Pennsylvania.

BadgerHawk on May 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I am still in shock that blumie in CT is leading in the polls. I can’t begin to take in the fact that FL is supporting a vapid loser, too.

/shakes head

karenhasfreedom on May 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM

He’s like the Chuck Barris of politicians.

Doorgunner on May 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM

So what is surprising about this Florida poll? We have had proof since 2000 that the average Florida voter isn’t too bright.

Oleta on May 27, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Crist literally represents all that is wrong with American politics.

I’ve never seen anything quite this blatantly careerist, ever.

Rightwingguy on May 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM

If Allah is still up: just visited a liberal blog where they were reporting his flip-flop and the majority of the comments from regulars there were almost unanimous: despite his lead now they do not see him winning in the end. Well, cheered ME up at least.

Marcus on May 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM

The Obama Doctrine

Caper29 on May 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.

Oh you of little no faith. How many times was George Washing routed by the redcoats before winning the war? Was his cause just? Not by your guantlet. Even if Crist did win, it’d be pyhric for the progressives & the likes of crass Crispy in 2012/2014.

AH_C on May 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Florida! They can’t figure out how to use a paper ballot. Then they don’t know how to count them. They just go into the booth and vote for the one they’ve heard about the most.

“Hey Maude, this guy has been in a long time. Let’s vote for him!” “OK Milton, you know more about this than I do dear!”

Vince on May 27, 2010 at 11:28 PM

A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.

How far was Crist ahead in the R Primary polls 6 months ago?

If Charlie is up in October, I’ll panic. Until then, just keep mocking him.

Greg Q on May 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM

You just have to visualize this as happening in the bottom of the boat…

drunyan8315 on May 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.

Hard to argue with that. But I suspect that his support is more about white Florida Democrats who will not vote for a black guy for Senate.

Heh.

Jaibones on May 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Describes Obama to perfection too.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Nah…a Crist win just means that the sun finally baked the sense out of Floridians’ brains.

Grace_is_sufficient on May 28, 2010 at 4:01 AM

AP:

I’m throwing down the gauntlet: A Crist win means total grassroots [Tea Party] defeat.

Nah. It would mean a total defeat of a rational democracy. That’s, of course, worse than a mere partisan defeat. An outright liar with zero principles or platform winning means Americans – or at least Floridians – are too stupid to vote.

AnonymousDrivel on May 28, 2010 at 4:24 AM

Charlie Crist reverses position on “don’t ask, don’t tell”

Only because it was the other guy’s turn!

seismedia on May 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM

A Crist win means total grassroots defeat.

You got that right. The guy is an unbelievable opportunist and if people can’t see that they don’t deserve to vote.

scalleywag on May 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Does anyone seriously intend to vote for this clown? Oh wait, people voted for Obama. Never mind.

search4truth on May 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Just wait for the commercials to start, the ‘people’ will abandon Crist.

goplibertygirl on May 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

It doesn’t have to navigate. You misunderstand what it means for politicians like Crist or Obama to speak. The words are only meant for their effect as a performance at that very moment. There is no thought in such politician’s heads that the words have any relevance to any possible future situation. The words only tell you what the politician think his audience wants to hear now.

thuja on May 28, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Yes, I agree, it would mean Floridians have lost all sanity!

bluemarlin on May 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM

We only ever had so much to begin with. If you people have never experienced it, it gets hot down here in the summer. Crazy hot. And humid. Affects your thinking processes.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville. I love the town and had some of the best times of my life there, but there is something fundamentally wrong with those people. Absolutely 100% redneck, aggressively ignorant and eager to fight over anything at the drop of a hat. I’d estimate that about half the population is completely batshit crazy. I’ve been a lot of places, and the only place I can compare it to is Springfield from The Simpsons.

mikefln on May 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Paging JetBoy and SquidShark to the white courtesy phone…

JohnBG on May 28, 2010 at 2:05 PM

On behalf of Florida, I apologize for this giant orange douchebag.

JohnBG on May 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Crist is the bleeding edge of the devolving form of progressive politician. He is only taking fullest advantage of the ultra partisan progressive mindset that is growing rapidly in many progressive voters, pundits and politicians.

Crist could slaughter a baby live on live TV, come back the next day and blatantly deny it, and hordes of progressive journalists, pundits, politicians and voters would be rushing to support him and rationalize his stated position by (wait for it..) blaming Bush for killing the baby.

I may be exaggerating slightly, but unfortunately, not by much.

DrDeano on May 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Crist is standing with one foot in each of two floating canoes. Rubio will pull the right canoe to the right, and Meek will pull the left canoe to the left.

Sooner or later, Crist will be all wet. Blub, blub!

Steve Z on May 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM