Palin to Beck: We can’t leave our windows open any longer

posted at 12:15 pm on May 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin called into Glenn Beck’s radio show this morning to discuss further her new neighbor, author Joe McGinniss, who rented the house next door to the Palins reportedly in order to write a book about them.  Palin discusses the practical implications of the matter, among which are the fact that the Palins will have to buy an air conditioner now; they won’t want to leave windows open during the hot Alaskan summer, and they don’t want McGinniss spying on their conversations, either.  Maybe the new meme should be Random House causes global warming! At least that might garner a little sympathy from the national media.

Beck wonders whether Todd will lose his cool, no pun intended, as McGinniss continues his research into his new book.  Palin dismisses it, sounding quite a bit less concerned about McGinniss’ intrusion in this interview than Beck himself.  Palin says that she and Todd attempted to contact the property’s owner to either lease it themselves or buy it outright as a way to prevent exactly this kind of outcome.  They couldn’t connect it time to do it, however, and now the Palins will have to build a fence to make sure that McGinniss stays off of their property.

Click on the image to view at The Right Scoop:

Dave Weigel wonders what the fuss is about:

Palin, who has an undergraduate degree in journalism, should understand that articles don’t become untrue when the subjects don’t agree with them.

Has McGinniss gone to an extreme to get a story? Well, we don’t have his side yet — not that this has prevented every other media outlet from typing up Palin’s Facebook post like some lost Gospel. But assuming he’s rented the house near the Palins for some period of time, assuming the Palins know he’s there and that he’s writing a book, then what, exactly, is wrong with this?

Politicians don’t have veto power over who gets to write about them, or how they research their stories, as long as they’re within the bounds of the law. It’s incredibly irresponsible for them to sic their fans on journalists they don’t like. And that’s what Palin is doing here — she has already inspired Glenn Beck to accuse McGinniss of “stalking” Palin and issuing a threat to boycott his publisher.

This is really the ultimate example of the way Palin manipulates the press and inverts the relationship between reporters and politicians, turning the former into “stalkers,” and the latter — as long as they’re Republicans or members of her family — into saints whom no one can criticize. No one in the media should reward Palin for this irresponsible and pathetic bullying.

Perhaps the “stalking” accusation reflects the fact that McGinniss once bid over $50,000 to have dinner with Palin (he was eventually outbid) and his own son’s assessment (meant as sarcasm [see update below]) that McGinniss is indulging a romantic interest in Palin.  If McGinniss wanted to write an unauthorized biography, he could certainly do that without moving in next door to the Palins.  In fact, it’s hard to figure what McGinniss would learn from that kind of physical proximity that has anything to do with politics or activism that couldn’t be learned through regular research and footwork.

As asinine and incredible as Kitty Kelly’s biographies get, she didn’t need to live next door to her celebrity targets to write them.  If it’s not stalking, it’s a very lazy journalism at best.  It also seems needlessly provocative, which will undermine the credibility of anything McGinniss has to say later.

None of this is meant as an argument that McGinniss doesn’t have the right to rent a property in which he desires to live, of course.  No one is arguing that the police should evict him if he and the landlord have concluded a mutually satisfactory business relationship for the lease.  That doesn’t mean that people can’t criticize McGinniss, his motives, his ethics and purpose as a journalist, and what looks like an odd obsession with the Palins.  It also doesn’t mean that the Palins will not have to protect themselves from the potential for conflicts and invasion of privacy.

Update: Ben Smith at Politico tells me that the son’s e-mail was meant sarcastically.  Ben thought it was obvious and didn’t note it, but I didn’t want to make an assumption.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

They need to get a vibrator and tape it to the window. See, I watch Burn Notice.

I can see Piper and a sling shot teaching creepy old has been joe a lesson or two.

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM

The picture on her Facebook page is one of him using a camera or binoculars pointed at her property. Enlarge the photo.

rlwo2008 on May 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I’m impressed with the speed of that fence going up! Saw the pic via twitter from Greta Van Sustern. Put Palin on the AZ border!

Now a question for security peeps. Is it legal for the Palins to put security cameras pointed outward on their fence, to monitor his monitoring? Also, what is to prevent McGinniss from illicit audio/ video recording of them or their guests and family? That is a concern for me.

Irks me that they who love the great outdoors, have been forced to close their windows and install air-conditioning. Trig should be free to run barefoot through the grass and Piper free to swim in the lake with friends.

Love the idea of a website called McGinnis watch.

Buckeye Babe on May 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Just found out.

*celebrating*

MeatHeadinCA on May 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Don’t know if there are any statutes, but, he has and will continue to invade her privacy. Her cameras are to protect her from it, not to invade his.

I guess anybody can do that. Whether it’s illegal or not in Alaska is a different story. I guess they could have him arrested and sue his pants off.

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM

O I did not say they put up cameras! I was asking if that was an option open to the Palin family!

Buckeye Babe on May 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I like the guy who told her to trade homes with Ted Nugent for six months.

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Buckeye Babe on May 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Didn’t think you did. Did I really have to type out “if she put up cameras” when the question was obviously what would happen if she did put up cameras”?

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Me, too, but it’s not forever. Creepy McCreeperson only has a 5-month lease on the house. And I bet (I hope!) he won’t extend it, because 5 months from now = the end of October, when it’ll probably be too cold for the cowardly wuss.

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I guess they could have him arrested and sue his pants off.

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Yes, and then march him pants-less down the main street of Wasilla in mid-winter.

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Aren’t there listening devices today that can pick up conversations from long distances and through walls? I’d be in such a state that I’d have to move out I think. It’s not illegal but it’s about one of the sickest things I’ve heard in a long time.

jeanie on May 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

You reminded me of that “As Seen On TV” Bluetooth-type device that picks up noises for “bird watchers” and “to listen to conversations far away”.

ProudPalinFan on May 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I say not even TMZ stoops to that level. Sick pup.

ProudPalinFan on May 26, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I like the guy who told her to trade homes with Ted Nugent for six months.

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Creepster would spend the next five months trying to remove Ted’s boot out of his ass. I like it.

HornetSting on May 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM

gekkobear on May 26, 2010 at 12:58 PM

That’s as close as Cheshire Cat would put it. Loved it! :D

ProudPalinFan on May 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM

SarahCuda is putting up a fence!!

Good!

canopfor on May 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM

5 months? I hear the grizzlies get mighty hungry in September and October.

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

On Hannity Sarah says they rented the house last summer and could not get connected with the landlord over the winter.

Buckeye Babe on May 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

jeanie on May 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

ProudPalinFan on May 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

They point a laser device on a window. First you a digital camera to find the laser. Than you tape a vibrator to the window.

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

first you use a digital camera…

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Blake on May 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

The laser on a window surveillance technique has been around for decades, but it now is probably much cheaper to get the required gear.

If you look at the CIA HQ in Langley, Virginia and some of the US Embassies around the world, there are architectural features that negate this weakness.

The laser can pick up minute vibrations of a pane of glass caused by voices inside, and then translate that back into a sound recording. This was being done back and forth over the Berlin Wall in the ’50s and ’60s until both sides made countermeasures routine. A regular civilian home is very vulnerable to this, as is most commercial buildings.

Another concern is that a cordless telephone can be intercepted with a run of the mill scanner.

Back in the ’90s, Newt Gingrich was victimized by having his cell phone spied upon by two elderly Democrat operatives in a Cadillac who just happened to have the right equipment with them to intercept that signal, and who just happened to leak a private conversation to the media.

Now another vulnerability is a wireless internet hub in the home. This can be used by neighbors very easily, and with some hacking you can monitor the computer’s usage.

A good friend of mine brings his laptop over here to my house and can get on the wireless internet of another house nearby with his wireless card from inside my house.

Getting at another computer is trickier, but can be done.

Brian1972 on May 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Be sure to teach Piper proper gun control…..

CrazyFool on May 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM

That Dave Weigel passage is priceless:

Right. Like there’s more we could find out about his motives that would make this seem non-extreme.

This is a kind of analytical neutrality that sounds superficially judicious, but is in fact just demented. It doesn’t matter what McGinniss’ “side” is — he’s moving in next door to Sarah Palin. Any journalist with no ties to Wasilla who takes out a 5-month lease on the house next to the Palins’ obviously has no explanation that would shed some unthought-of light on his actions. We all know exactly what he’s doing.

May Weigel one day have a journalist move in next to him for the purpose of digging up everything he can on Weigel’s personal life.

J.E. Dyer on May 26, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Getting at another computer is trickier, but can be done.

Brian1972 on May 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

It’s only that easy on “open”, i.e. unencrypted wireless access points. Proper configuration of the wireless router is easy, and dirt cheap. Cracking it requires pretty serious (i.e. expensive) expertise. Even so, I’d hard wire any computers in the Palin household.

The best idea posted here is to do a house-swap with Ted Nugent :) Both would have comparable places, and Ted could start practicing up for a new tour in the Fall! Palins win – and fans of Ted win!

Who is John Galt on May 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I knew there was a reason why I love you so! Can we submit some requests for banning?

TXMomof3 on May 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM

How about a request for making note of all bannings rather than doing some openly and others on the qt.

Joe Bloggs on May 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Joe Bloggs on May 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Trolls I know who got banned:
– GrowFins
– bleedsblue (not to be confused with blatantblue and TheBlueSite, who are not trolls)

and now happyfeet. Life is getting good. :-)

Anyone else remember any other banned trolls I’m forgetting?

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Back on topic: I would say that McGinnis meets the definition of a meatspace troll.

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Got a little eye bleach to go with that?

Trolls I know who got banned:

and now happyfeet. Life is getting good. :-)

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

When did that happen?

platypus on May 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM

When did that happen?

platypus on May 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Just this very day! Feast your eyes here:

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Got a little eye bleach to go with that?

Don’t worry — on that guy, you’d need a microscope to see anything significant. :-P

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM

If you still need the eye bleach, here it is. Don’t say I never gave you anything! :-)

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Just this very day! Feast your eyes here:

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Wow. And I thought I was a fanatic. What is it about these people? How does someone get so far gone?

These are rhetorical questions – there is no answer for this type of lunacy.

platypus on May 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Mary in LA – you are a quality addition around here. And if you’re a long-timer, it shows how alert I am to what’s important.

platypus on May 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

platypus on May 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Thanks! You’re very kind. I was a fan of Allahpundit and Ed Morrissey when they were blogging at “Allah Is In the House” and “Captain’s Quarters”, respectively. I came over here at the beginning of Hot Air, and I’m still cluttering up the place. :-)

I still can’t explain trolls, though…

Mary in LA on May 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM

There is a seriously twisted mentality when it comes to Palin.

On the part of both her friends and her enemies.

Sucks to be her.

petunia on May 26, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Though I dont think it is right, Palin does have millions of dollars, so move for 6 months. Another option is to get bright spotlights, line her property with them pointing towards her new neighbor, bring in temp walls.

WoosterOh on May 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I would have so much fun with this if I were Palin! We would have a fake knife and I would chase my wife down and stab her with fake blood.

Or I would dress up like Batman and run around the house. LOL

jeffn21 on May 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Putting up a fence is a shrewd move. Any attempts to circumvent the fence are excellent proof-of-intent.

mad scientist on May 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM

jeffn21 on May 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Pretty funny. I would also have a binoculars night once a week with all of the family at every window staring at Mr. Stalker. Could be unnerving for the creep.

mad scientist on May 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Thanks for the ban hammer on the troll, Allah. :o)

Wow, me too! Sarah, I have an old raised bed made of fake railroad ties out in the yard that I can’t get out on my own. Dead shrub stumps in there too. I really want it gone. When Todd is done with the fence, can I borrow him for an afternoon? That’s probably all it would take for him to get the blasted thing out of here. ;o)

NoLeftTurn on May 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM

happyfeet is banned.

Allahpundit on May 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM

There should be an age requirement anyway. I think its mama was too lenient with the family computer.

Saltysam on May 27, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Get some look-alikes or cardboard cutouts. Really mess with this guy and set his ass up for defamation suits galore. I’d also find out where he spends his time and see he gets his share of DUI tickets and maybe some extra tie adjustments behind the dumpsters. Make this this guys worst nightmare You know is all about him or whomever is behind it is trying to mess Palins Presidency hopes up. Taking out a Presidential Candidate before they even put their hat in the ring. nice . I say make him wish he never saw Alaska.

johnnyU on May 27, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Maybe the guy smokes in bed. You can always hope so.

johnnyU on May 27, 2010 at 5:06 AM

I am very fond of the Palins. I was well aware of them before McCain was. Having said that, Alaska is very large. I would suggest never building so near a property line. Never build on a narrow lot.

seven on May 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

God bless the Palins. This case is an example of drawing attention to a beautiful state with a lot of strong people. The riff raff from Massachusetts are coming there to pollute the scenery and the culture.
Palin is brilliant. I thought many times how they would not fit in in Washington having these stalkers, fetishists
intellectuals surrounding them.

seven on May 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM

McGinnis, in the past, has written books which don’t have many pictures in them. How does anyone know McGinnis’ primary objective is to take pictures of the Palins (especially with that storage shed at the edge of the yard)? Taking pictures is something that I’d expect of the National Enquirer or other organizations.

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Just “taking pictures” is not the point. You are narrowing the focus far too much. It is the overall invasion of privacy of the whole family. Do you think the kids feel good about having this guy within earshot of their bedroom windows? What the hell did they ever do to deserve that?

It is creepy, and wrong. Period. Stop trying to justify it because you don’t like their mother.

Brian1972 on May 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Deacon on May 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Ciao!

Inanemergencydial on May 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Brian1972 on May 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM

–There’s nothing that I see that is illegal or wrong about it. Their neighbor was in earshot of their house as well. And if Sarah doesn’t like the celebrity treatment, then she probably should have thought about the likely effects well before running for any significant public office in AZ.

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM

–Oops. Meant AL, not AZ, but you probably knew that.

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Is Sarah Palin running against Hayworth and McCain?

Inanemergencydial on May 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

–Oops. Meant AL, not AZ, but you probably knew that.

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 3:38 PM

It is AK ;)

Inanemergencydial on May 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Oops. Meant AL, not AZ, but you probably knew that.

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 3:38 PM
It is AK ;)

Inanemergencydial on May 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

–Thanks. Third time’s the charm.

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Joe McGinniss’s moving in next door is creepy at best. Obviously he has a reason and it probably was not just that he liked the house. Causal observation probably is not going to give him much more than who visits and when they leave and return. Pehaps he hoped to catch a conversation or two that was useful. That is assuming that he expected them to ignore him. Maybe he is still trying to play musical chairs with mommies and babies. Being close enough for electronic eves dropping has a greater potential as a reason. Of course the fence has made that much harder to do.

One of the mentioned concerns was his facing Pipers bedroom window and his view of the backyard where the children play and swim in the summer when it is still warm light outside. In the winter the sun does not rise. This fense appears to be more to block his view of the children as much as to prevent his overt spying. Perhaps this guy needs to be run through all the sexual offender data bases and watch carefully.

Franklyn on May 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Deacon on May 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM

[steps out of the splatting left by the banhammer]

See ya, wouldn’t want to be ya.

Mary in LA on May 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

What did Deacon say to get banned and have his comment deleted (just a general description)?

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Jimbo3 on May 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Posted McGinnis’s home address and telephone number.

It’s possible that AP and Ed may have just deleted the post rather than wielding the mighty banhammer on Deacon, since Deacon hasn’t been actually trolling (so far as I know) and there’s no official announcement of banning such as AP provided when he banned happyfeet. (Whereat there was much rejoicing!) We shall see.

Mary in LA on May 28, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Barring the source of the data, the data alone is quite self evident. Gov. Palin’s new neighbor does not deserve a welcome wagon.

If we want to have some fun, do what I would do as a kid. Find some “Open House” signs and put on his property. Then we will see how much he welcomes the neighborhood as they walk in to view the property. To have even more fun advertise it as furnished. Then watch as prospective buyers make themselves at home.

MSGTAS on May 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM