Chris Christie to teacher: If you don’t like my education budget, find a new job

posted at 10:03 pm on May 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

I begged for video on Twitter, my friends, but none is forthcoming. What can I say? I tried.

He then opened the floor to questions. A few were softballs, including the declaration by Clara Nebot of Bergenfield that Christie is “a god” to her relatives in Florida.

But borough teacher Rita Wilson, a Kearny resident, argued that if she were paid $3 an hour for the 30 children in her class, she’d be earning $83,000, and she makes nothing near that.

“You’re getting more than that if you include the cost of your benefits,” Christie interrupted.

When Wilson, who has a master’s degree, said she was not being compensated for her education and experience, Christie said:

“Well, you know then that you don’t have to do it.” Some in the audience applauded

“Your union said that is the greatest assault on public education in the history of the state,” Christie said. “That’s why the union has no credibility, stupid statements like that.”

Elsewhere today, he warned about New Jersey becoming a new Greece. In lieu of a clip of the exchange with the teacher, here he is describing politics — Christie-style. Dude — 2016, right?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Teachers don’t choose where the money gets spent. The hate from the right is directed in the wrong locations.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM

While that’s technically true, the reality is that teachers, through their unions, have tremendous influence on how funds are allocated. The influence is exercised at both the negotiating table and by buying politicians with campaign contributions. Teachers, and their unions, in addition to the above also sometimes lobby school boards and make political appeals to voters.

Teachers aren’t the only ones bleeding the system. Most school districts have far more administrators per student than they did 30 years ago. Money goes to “support staff” that didn’t exist 30 years ago (and I’m not talking about the IT department).

The Schools of Education at our colleges are staffed by faculties completely out of touch with how kids learn. They’ve foisted off crap like “new math” and “whole language” and created a generation of dunces.

But go ahead and blame right-wingers. My kids went to parochial schools that spent 50-60% per pupil what the public schools around here spend. When those schools’ graduates go on to colleges and professional schools, they perform at a very high level.

Meanwhile, the Detroit Public Schools only graduate 25% of their students.

rokemronnie on May 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Is that supposed to be wrong somehow, or evidence of some sort of psychosis?

Bishop on May 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

And for the record, I make less than $37,000/yr in salary for being an 8th yr teacher & then you can add in my benefits.
I feel justly compensated at that level.
I don’t know who in the hell you’re talking abt that makes 85K/yr.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Justly compensated?

Why from your descriptions of yourself as WonderTeacher, it sounds like you deserve more than El Baracko is set to make this year.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Maybe the teachers there should do what my school district did. The teachers sent the kids home with sob stories about how they might lose their jobs and the parents have to donate to this fund that makes up budget shortfalls so that the teachers don’t have to take cuts in pay or lose their jobs … this at the same time the parents are taking cuts in pay and losing their jobs. (Cupertino Union School District).

It worked. The teachers were able to shake down the parents for some 2 million dollars. Wonder what they will try next year.

crosspatch on May 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Meanwhile, the Detroit Public Schools only graduate 25% of their students.

rokemronnie on May 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Okay, and my public school class had 1 dropout and 1 kid who didn’t graduate, out of ~225 IIRC. Not all public schools are alike.

And as far as the teacher’s unions, most conservatives would tell a new teacher to tell the union to go “F” itself out of principle, so there goes any influence on spending you might have had at an individual level. You either need to work within the system, or watch everything burn.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Science teachers are a different breed anyway

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Another thing about us science teachers is that we tend to be conservative;) Seriously, the reason that the good teachers get into the business is being able to see the student’s face light up when they get a difficult concept.

dawgyear on May 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I feel justly compensated at that level.
I don’t know who in the hell you’re talking abt that makes 85K/yr.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Rita O’Neill-Wilson $86,389

WoosterOh on May 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM

And yet you just complained about getting a smartboard when you didn’t need one (and for the most part, smartboards are flashy but don’t do all that much). And you teach in a small rural school. How about some teacher in a mammoth, 1,600 kid urban clusterfark? How much influence can they really have over directed spending?

The biggest problems are in these large, urban schools, like the ones in my hometown of Cleveland. As we’ve seen for the past few decades, throwing money at the problem doesn’t work.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:27 AM

You’re such a numbnut.
I said that they can have a major influence over some spending.
That does not mean they can direct it by their lonesome.
My last visit to Cleveland, & my last visit to Columbus OH where I graduated from HS, showed me the ‘fruits’ of liberal-land.
Well the software that comes w/ the smartboards is really great stuff. If you want to spend the hours it takes to create lessons with it.
I have a girlfriend teaching in Boston-here class sizes aren’t too huge, but much bigger than mine.
She has a decent amount of influence over some spending.
Just like I do.
I know lots of teachers who are very irresponsible in their spending.
They buy ‘kits’ that have things like paperclips & rubber bands & styrofoam cups in them.
These are ‘kits’ they could put together themselves with very little effort.
They may purchase videos that they could get for much cheaper on Amazon, & used, but they pay way more through a science catalog for it.
That’s what I’m talking about.
That’s laziness & waste.
You are right about one thing-throwing more $$ at schools is not going to fix anything.
And testing the $hit out of kids isn’t either.
I would say that school improvement has more to do with the federal govt making up stupid rules, one size fits all, union defending lazy incompetents, lazy incompetent administrators, lazy parents & kids who aren’t being held accountable for their failures (blame the teacher).
Schools need to be controlled LOCALLY again.
They need to stop taking fed $$ & work within their own county budget.
And if they want a talented teacher, they should be willing to pay for it.
Another thing that needs to be revamped (to be in line with what colleges do) is evaluations.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Is that supposed to be wrong somehow, or evidence of some sort of psychosis?

Bishop on May 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Proud Rino, of course, hates no one. Not even Palin. He’s a saint, and we’re simply not worthy of him.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM

are you kidding me?

at least in NYC/Long Island area, teachers unions are a bunch of propagandist lefties who want to work as little as they can while receiving ridiculous pay, benefits, and pensions

they make me sick.

blatantblue on May 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I assume most of your fellow nutcases which deny that are deluding themselves. I don’t care that nutcases delude themselves. Bully for you, though, for being able to admit that you hate people because they disagree with you politically. That’s a remarkable statement. I’d feel sorry for you if it wasn’t kind of funny. Have a nice night.

Proud Rino on May 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Well grasshopper, if you had paid attention to my post, especially the “I hope they fail” part, I would have thought you had the brain power to understand the implication. The liberal ideology is dangerous and destructive it is wreaking havoc in in Europe as we speak. It is the same thing, to me , as someone holding a gun to my head and threatening my livelihood. They are a direct threat to the way I was brought up which is to have the personal responsibility to make your own way in life. You want to call me a nutcase for trying to do the right things in my life, go ahead, Karma is a bitch RINO!

bluemarlin on May 26, 2010 at 12:47 AM

the unions have power

they push where that money is spent

they engage in smear campaigns and propaganda pushes to get what they want

blatantblue on May 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Graphing calcs are kinda necessary for advance math.

Not really. Graphing calculators didn’t exist when I took Trig and Calculus. Don’t get me wrong, they’re a great learning tool, and obviously you need some kind of calculating device to do higher math – but I’m old enough to have been taught the basics on a slide rule and remember when HP introduced the HP 325, the first really powerful math hand calculator ($325 in 1972 dollars).

It could be argued that using slide rules and log paper gives you a better understanding of the math. I’m not sure that it’s true, but remember that Newton and Liebniz both figured out calculus without needed a graphing calculator.

Besides, graphing calculators, with their memories, make it impossible to prevent cheating on tests.

rokemronnie on May 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM

You’re such a numbnut.
I said that they can have a major influence over some spending.
That does not mean they can direct it by their lonesome.
She has a decent amount of influence over some spending.
Just like I do.
I know lots of teachers who are very irresponsible in their spending.
These are ‘kits’ they could put together themselves with very little effort.
That’s what I’m talking about.
That’s laziness & waste.
And testing the $hit out of kids isn’t either.
Schools need to be controlled LOCALLY again.
They need to stop taking fed $$ & work within their own county budget.
And if they want a talented teacher, they should be willing to pay for it.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM

But the science teachers, the ones who tend to get the most respect, are the ones who need the most spending, no?

I mean, everyone gives Lit teachers a lot of crap, but if I’m going to teach English Lit, I need books, kids who have pencil and paper, and desks. That’s about it. If I need a computer, I’ll bring my laptop. Any handouts I’ll make myself, supplemental texts I’ll get by myself and run off copies, movies I can buy on my own, etc. So it’s not an expensive class to teach.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM

WoosterOh on May 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Sickening.
I don’t think there’s any public school teacher in ND that makes that much.
But I know administrators do.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM

LOL!
You’re such a bitter prick.
I really can’t understand WTF is wrong with you, especially since I have agreed with much of what you’ve said here.
And I never said I was a WonderTeacher. But I’m not bad, & from the feedback I’ve gotten, I know I am good at teaching.
Evidently not teaching you anything, but there’s just some nuts that can’t be cracked.
What a super numbnut you are.

dawgyear on May 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I admit I got into teaching bcs it allows me to work on the ranch & hay during the summer.
But I really do love teaching kids & wouldn’t want to do anything else.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:51 AM

are you kidding me?

they make me sick.

blatantblue on May 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

And yet many here would tell an aspiring teacher to avoid joining, therefore killing any influence they might have on spending. Wouldn’t it be better to at least try and make a difference, even if your fellow union members are lockstep lefty drones?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM

rokemronnie on May 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Well that’s a pretty good argument.
And of course the cheating thing-can’t argue w/ that.
But since time is precious, I would have to go w/ the calcs bcs it would probably take today’s kids 2 years to figure out a slide-rule (me too LOL!).

are the ones who need the most spending, no?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM

I spent $110 this year on supplies.
Last year I spent abt $500-bcs I bought a bunch of anatomy slides & an electronic balance for chemistry.
The year before I spent abt $350 bcs I bought some cats (which I had leftovers & was able to use for the last 2 years) + some chemicals.
I have been finding creative uses in labs for the ancient chemicals (older than I am: 40+yrs) bcs I want to use them up to save $$.
I would say I’m a pretty cheap science teacher, overall.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Proud Rino on May 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Well my last one got censored so i will try again. RINO had you paid attention to my post, especially the “I hope they fail ” part I was assuming (my bad) you had the intelligence to understand I was talking in big picture.Their ideology is dangerous and destructive and we have it playing out in front of our eyes in Europe. I look at them no differently than a robber holding a gun to my head and threatening my livelihood. I was raised to take responsibility for my actions and my way in life, they want to take that away from me and offer some false equal outcome crap. So RINO if you disagree with me, fine, Karma is #@TCH and when she finds you, good luck!

bluemarlin on May 26, 2010 at 12:58 AM

I spent $110 this year on supplies.
I would say I’m a pretty cheap science teacher, overall.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 12:57 AM

You seem to be, yes, but in general science teachers have to spend more money than lit teachers. For a two person class, I might be able to teach lit for 30 bucks or so, depending on how well I can haggle at the used book store.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I am a union member for 2 reasons:
To cover my a$$ from a lawsuit, bcs none of us are protected from being personally sued & 2nd, bcs at least here in ND, if you want to be part of the collective bargaining process (i.e. contracts) then you have to be a union member.
I don’t know why in the hell that is, but that’s the deal.
Now the ND union has a lot more conservative members than you would find in the NEA.
I always check the box that none of my dues will be used for political purposes (maybeI’m being fooled).
I do think that some union influence is good for teachers, but it’s been abused & perverted.
I’ve watched the union protect good people and bad people.
I don’t know how to fix it other than using my vote to get good conservative common sense people in union positions here.
But I certainly do not vote off on positions that are ‘wrong’ in my eyes.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Teachers are no better or worse than anyone else, BUT the job they do is critically important. Liberals also recognize this and exploit it. One the one hand they have assumed they get to dictate what children are taught, and at the same time they get to argue that it is so important that it requires rediculously high funding. (aka pay & benefits, of which too much goes to administrative costs)

The result is that I have to spend 2-3 hours essentially home-schooling my son after a 7 hour school day. I read through his textbooks and help him distinguish facts from opinions. I correct bad information he’s recieved at school. (I’ve had to tell him that contrary to what his teacher may have said, there are only 1,760 yards in a mile not 5,280.) I’ve had to explain that no, he isn’t a racist just because he is white. But the most difficult and irritating thing I’ve had to do is explain to him that there is a difference between the “correct” answer and the answer that the teacher is looking for. (Believe it or not he turned in a test shortly after where he wrote the answer the teacher was looking for, but during the post-test discussion told the teacher “my daddy said the answer was X” and the teacher only gave him 1/2 credit on that question when she graded his test! Now he keeps his mouth shut.)

And I have the privelege of paying for all this through higher property taxes each year.

Onus on May 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Well I could spend less if parents wanted to let this kid bring a battery & that kid bring some duct tape & maybe have the bank donate some $$ for a balance that lasts for 10 yrs etc.
I also spend my own $$ sometimes & don’t worry about getting reimbursed.
But I can never be accused of wasting $$ bcs if I don’t need it, I won’t even consider buying it.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Onus on May 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Well I understand your frustration bcs I’ve gone through the same thing with my own kids over the years.
My daughter used to go to my college classes w/ me, especially the geology ones, & when she took 8th grade earth science, she knew a lot more than the teacher did (who happens to be pretty worthless,but he’s a football coach, so they keep him).
I had to tell her to curb her tongue in class!

I do, however, have parents, who think that they should never have to spend any time with their kids helping them with their schoolwork bcs that’s the ‘teacher’s job’.
Well it happens to be a parent’s job, too.
I am always helping my kids w/ their HW & have no problem w/ it.
‘Course there are some teachers who just handout worksheets & the kids have no clue how to do them.
Sad.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM

I am a union member for 2 reasons:
I don’t know why in the hell that is, but that’s the deal.
I’ve watched the union protect good people and bad people.
But I certainly do not vote off on positions that are ‘wrong’ in my eyes.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM

So it sounds like the best choice for an aspiring conservative teacher is to teach in a more conservative state and join the union. I mean, I don’t expect one strong conservative voice to turn the tide in liberal strongholds like New England, but it does seem like some advocate bucking the unions purely out of spite.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Fiscal discipline is going to be tough for a lot of people.

AnninCA on May 26, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Fiscal discipline is the easiest thing in the world. If you don’t have it you don’t spend it, and that’s where we’re headed. When the government goes truly broke, the first failed bond auction, then fiscal discipline will be painful but easy. The only fly in the ointment is the printing press, and if they open that can of worms then I don’t know if we’ll survive intact.

DFCtomm on May 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I would discourage most anyone from becoming a teacher period.
And this is bcs of the social state we find ourselves in (bad parents) as well as the entrenched corruptocrats.
If I could make it work, I would love to hire myself out as a traveling science teacher & work for myself.

But teaching is full of nothing but red tape & stupid rules & unfairness.
The unfairness that exists in the regular outside civilian workplace is different.
This $hit in public school is insane.
You cannot believe the garbage that goes on.
And I cannot help but think that it’s the unions that are full of liberal pukes that have set things up to be this way.
But I do know that my local union is very good & fair.
And we are not greedy & crazed.
It’s just a way we can organize & be on the same page about issues.
In fact, it was nice bcs here recently we all had to get together & call a meeting w/ the administrators (principal & superintendent)so that we could ask them nicely to start doing their jobs.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM

I honestly think that is some states, it would be better for conservative minded teachers to just start their own union.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM

It’s about time someone knocked teachers off that pedestal they’re perched on.

I’m not sure when it happened, but somehow teachers got lumped into the heroic professions of cops and firefighters who sometimes give their own lives to save others. Truly noble professions.

And while yes, it takes a special person to be a teacher, it’s also not what I would consider a heroic profession or one that requires a great deal of personal sacrifice.

The graduation rates in our country are spiraling into the crapper, we’re lagging behind other countries, we import foreign students that take high paying positions and we’re somehow supposed to put teachers/professors on a pedestal and it’s heresy if anyone speaks anything negative about teachers?

Enough is enough. Every teacher I know, makes good money for the time they invest in actual work. I couldn’t imagine any corporation surviving for long if they were satisfied with employee performance equating the performance of public school teachers.

The public school system is broke. It is the flagship socialist program and it’s horribly broken.

There are some good teachers. In fact, I would imagine the majority of teachers are qualified, capable professionals. But the system is broken and they’re being smothered by it.

ButterflyDragon on May 26, 2010 at 1:34 AM

OK-will try this posting $hit again:

My teachers also didn’t teach in a podunk three-room schoolhouse, and most of my classes had more than 3 or 4 kids in them.

Why even use handouts since you’re such an amazing lecturer? Screw those kids who are visual learners. They’ll take notes and like it.

Why use movies, Badger? Someone else made those movies. Be a real man and film your own.

I certainly hope none of my doctors were your students. “Badger wouldn’t let us use a textbook, because those are for losers, but from his lecture, I’m pretty sure your spleen is right under your bellybutton.”

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Yeah, to hell with new “science-ware.” Why use a computer? I’m sure Badger here can MacGuyver one together with some bean cans, chewed gum and an old TV tube.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM

1st of all, thanks for insulting all rural people. What a clASS act you are.
I used photocopies of information as well as a lot of great anatomy web sites to teach anatomy (WebAnatomy on the University of MN site) as well as dissections.
And you wish you had one of my former students as your doctor bcs I taught college level material & in fact I actually ask Doctors & nurses for help in my curriculum & an A means an A for knowledge NOT effort.
The physics teacher who’s been teaching for 46 years is a great teacher & he’s a ‘MacGuyver’ kind of guy.
You can teach many scientific principles without fancy crap.
I didn’t say to get rid of everything.
You’re some kind of p$ick to sit in judgement of me when you have no f$%^&*( clue as to my ability.
You just insult me as being ‘podunk’.
You sanctimonius POS.
You vilify me for being creative & frugal.
Science is about doing.
My kids DO a LOT.
Lectures & worksheets are pretty useless.
And being a ‘MacGuyver’ is not an insult bcs it means using your head.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM

I taught, Chemistry Teacher, in a large urban school district for 25 years. The average student population in the High School was 3000 with a peak of 4000. The average yearly science budget was $7500. That had to cover everything. The English department got bigger budgets than we did. Suffice to say the science teachers had to be very creative to fulfill lab requirements.

chemman on May 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM

ButterflyDragon on May 26, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Teachers are not heroes.
Neither are cops nor firemen IMHO bcs that’s what they get paid for-to save people’s lives etc.
And teaching cannot be done effectively by just anyone.
It’s not easy in the sense that it’s easy to find out what makes a kid tick.
But the job itself, preparing etc., is not hard.
The hardest thing about my job is dealing with lazy stupid parents who cannot or will not take responsibility for the fact that it is their child’s actions (aside from having an incompetent teacher) that are responsible for what their kid gets out of school.
The other hard thing about my job is the administrators-AKA the COMMUNITY (school board).
The CITIZENS need to vote for better school board members (LEADERS) who HIRE better administrators to get the job done right.
My administrators are never evaluated.
They do self evals! What a JOKE!
And our school board keeps our DUI superintendant bcs they cannot find anyone decent who wants to live in our little town (not enough pay).
And we have a principal who’s a dismissed reject from another school bcs NO ONE APPLIED FOR THE JOB.
He was the only one!
Where are the competent people?!
I am truly at a loss.
It is the PEOPLE who can change things.
It is bcs of the PEOPLE that we have BO as POTUS, that we have senators like McCain & Dodds etc.
The PEOPLE are responsible for all of this bcs without their consent, this $hit would not be happening.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM

chemman on May 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM

In our school, it was the music dept & sports that got most of the $$.
Any subject that can produce ‘trophies’ & ‘awards’ for the school to put in their glass case in the lobby gets $$.
I just had to stop science fair bcs in ND it is so corrupt & worthless & ISEF is a joke, too.
So no trophies from that.
I think most science teachers just abt everywhere have to be pretty creative.
The $$ it costs for things like chemical storage units & analysis equipment-we’re talking 2-3K for some stuff, is prohibitive.
Unless your county has oil $$ or something, you have to be creative.
But our school is involved with a co-op that purchases expensive equipment & we pay for access to it-it travels around the state on a schedule.
This is where I get the DNA analysis equipment from.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Oh, no we don’t. We are contracted–in my district, and as already mentioned districts differ–at 184 days, including 4 preservice days. That’s 180 classroom days. Teachers do not get paid holidays. We get paid only for the days we are contracted to work, and only for the hours we’re contracted to work, for most of us that’s spread out over 12 months. I commonly spend an additional two+ hours a day in uncompensated time just getting my job done, as do most teachers, which is just my little gift to the taxpayers of the state of California. All those extra hours put me way over those contracted 184 days.

I hear this all the time from teachers and it boggles my mind. I mean, boo-friggin’-hoo! You have to possibly work “way over 184 days!!!!” Really??? Yea, I get that it’s a contract, but seriously? “way over 184 days”????? Most Regular Joe professionals are expected to work 350 some days a year. And if you are on salary the concept of “only for the hours we are contracted to work” doesn’t even register. You realize you make a salary that a lot of people have to work all year for, right? “way over 184 days!” Puh-leeze!!!
And you “spend and extra 2+ hours a day in uncompensated time”???? Wow! That must be brutal!!! I can’t remember how many times I’ve had to attend customer meetings or conferences that required me to get up early Sunday morning to catch a flight. Take late evening or red-eye flights to get home. Attend customer dinners well into the evening. All part of the job and well outside of my regular 8 hour day.
“way over 184 days…” Like I said “boo-friggin’-hoo”

Fed45 on May 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

CC is my homeboy

ted c on May 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM

At the school where I work, we’ve managed to achieve recognized or exemplary status while working with the least amount of funds in the entire city. Until just this year, we weren’t Title I, and while we make do with old books, few technological resources and a cramped campus, I’ve had it hammered home that it’s not the resources that make the school. It’s the people in it. All that’s needed is for the students, teachers and administrators to respect each other. It’s just that sometimes the respect is in short supply from all sides.

What I wish would be noted in some of these schools, especially those of us teaching on the Texas/Mexico border, is that a good deal of my students are not only not American citizens, but many have only begun to learn English and some of them don’t try in their classes. They don’t try for several reasons, not least of which is being thrust by their parents into a foreign school system in a different language, which would have made me close up in self-defense as well. The staff in my school reach out to these students as best we can and we do a good job overall, but they do affect our state test scores and our tight budget. I wish this situation would receive more attention than it does. We might not suffer the overcrowding, budget shortfalls, etc. if our enrollment was kept to legal citizens.

kc-anathema on May 26, 2010 at 3:39 AM

chemman on May 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM

See, that’s stupid. Were I an English teacher, I’d ask for my budget to be slashed. What does an English teacher need with a big budget?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 4:12 AM

Lectures & worksheets are pretty useless.
And being a ‘MacGuyver’ is not an insult bcs it means using your head.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:46 AM

You said early how great you are at lecturing, now you say they are worthless? You get a Good Solid B-Plus for being consistent, Badger.

And whatever teacher taught you this whole “every new thought is a paragraph” style definitely needs to be fired.

Besides, I’m sure you’re so dang talented you could ditch this computer and make an internet-capable device out of some twine and a Tesla coil, Mr. Guyver.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM

I love this guy!

Terri on May 26, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Most of you who lambast teachers wear your ignorance like a multi-colored coat. It’s painfully clear that you’re basing your opinion on:

1. When you were in school–in 1989

2. The few, staunch union supporters in each school system, like the woman in the excerpt

3. A handful of bad experiences your child had among thousands of teacher interactions

This is a conservative site. It’s a fair assumption that most, if not all, of the teachers here are conservatives. So what do you want us to do? Hmmm? Leave the profession? Abandon your children to the liberal in the classroom next door? Or affect change from the inside, as I am doing singlehandedly? (And I could tell story after story).

You want to rip into the unions? I agree. You want to claim that some teachers are incompetent? I agree. So what to do with that information? Vilify conservative teachers until they quit teaching, leaving the liberals to run amok in the schools? What kind of far-reaching strategy is that?

Rant over. For now.

Grace_is_sufficient on May 26, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Refreshing. BTW, is that a man or a woman opening this clip? Is the whole world turning into Napolitano / Kagan?

Alden Pyle on May 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Fed45 on May 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

The point isn’t to boo hoo over the time; the point is that it is dishonest to say teachers only work 184 days, as if that were the whole story.

DrMagnolias on May 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Okay, now try teaching 25 kids at once with a textbook from 1956 and a couple Apple IIe computers as “learning aids.”:

Conservatives demonize teachers, then wonder why most teachers are liberal. Shocking!

Good Solid B-Plus on May 25, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I have an english and grammar text book from the 1950s. I’ll be using it for homeschooling as it’s vastly superior to anything I’ve seen printed recently. That was back when we actually cared about learning more than attempting to make everyone feel “special.”

citrus on May 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM

I feel justly compensated at that level.
I don’t know who in the hell you’re talking abt that makes 85K/yr

You are one of those that fail to compensate for actual hours and your benefits. Shame on you. And Please.. none of that all those hours before class and after class. NO teacher spent that on me, and I was a student 30 years ago. They sure aren’t doing it now.

Noelie on May 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Most of you who lambast teachers wear your ignorance like a m

ulti-colored coat. It’s painfully clear that you’re basing your opinion on:

1. When you were in school–in 1989

I lambaste teachers because of the failing statistics. I lambaste teachers for failing to do their job IN TOTAL. Get over yourself. If you were doing the job you should be, this would not be a discussion. You are a failure. This is one time I wish I could be Donald Trump and “fire” you. But we are unable. You keep going with the “it’s for the children” never ending crap to explain why you want more money for less and less effective result.

Noelie on May 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Rush might like Palin, and I like her too…but I think this is the kind of person who might need to be in there in 2012. He can actually say no in a convincing way.

Terrye on May 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM

I have no problem with teachers making a decent salary. I’m married to one, so I know how hard the job is and how long the hours truly are.

My problem is that, at least in PA, teachers retiring after 30-years are compensated at 80% of their highest 3-years salary for life. So, assuming you graduate college at 21, that means at 51 years of age, and at the top of your scale, that $80,000 for, what 30-years (Age 81). That’s $2.5 Million PER RETIRED TEACHER. It is simply unsustainable!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 26, 2010 at 7:25 AM

There is only one viable sustainable solution for education, school choice. Let the families decide where they will spend the education money, they are the customer after all. Only then will you have a efficient high performance model for successfully educating our youth.

In our city the public school bureaucracy is corrupt, throwing monies at favored contractors for infrastructure that is not needed, while teachers and students are low performing and underfunded. Government should run next to nothing, as it can not help but be corrupt and inefficient.

ray on May 26, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Privatize the education system and teachers will wind up being paid based upon their ability, effort, and overall success. The free market will dictate the teachers salary. Sky is the limit…
Unions hold good teachers down, while propping up lousy teachers. Unions are a variation of a socialist environment where really lousy workers get paid the same as really good workers. Everything equal; blah, blah, blah…

It really is that simple.

Keemo on May 26, 2010 at 7:40 AM

You are a failure.

Noelie on May 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM

When you come at me with vitriol like this, you discredit any point you hoped to make.

I hope, if you have children, you don’t carry this gargantuan chip in to school with you–believe me, your children’s teachers can spot it a mile away. Rest assured that the vast majority of teachers will not hold it against your children–but when we see parents like you, we know we’re not going to get any “partnership” with you.

Grace_is_sufficient on May 26, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Keemo on May 26, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Agreed, Keemo. 100%–and I’m a public school teacher.

Have a great day.

Grace_is_sufficient on May 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Er, getting back to Chris Christie — he knows how to communicate on very basic level.

I think it’s called honesty. Something we don’t see much of nowadays, and something pretty much absent on the Federal level.

Nichevo on May 26, 2010 at 8:02 AM

The best part of that Christie video is how he does not talk down to these elderly folks at all. He is showing respect to them and acting like he works for them. This is really all we want from our elected officials – respect the people who pay your salary, and remember that you work for us. We may not always have governors and Presidents and Speakers of the House who are from our party or whom we agree with on policy; but if we believe they do respect us and understand that they work for us, we will have a much more civil debate and we will respect and follow the decisions our government makes on our behalf. When we have a Senate Majority Leader calling us “un-American” because we don’t like what he is ramming through the Senate; when we have Congressmen hiding from their constituents, covering up corruption within their own body, flying around in expensive private jets; and when we have a President who acts like the people are simply props for his Dig Me show — that is when we get a Tea Party movement like we have today.

God bless Chris Christie for showing how it ought to be done. I just hope that New Jersey is not too far gone down the road of dependency to appreciate him.

rockmom on May 26, 2010 at 8:14 AM

We need to get the federal government out of the classroomn and get back to counties and states deciding how much to spend and how to spend it. I am uncomfortable with demonizing teachers. I think most are well qualified and should be paid accordingly of we want to keep them in our classrooms. Having said that, my kids are in private school because, currently, the public school system is completely broken in the state of Florida. no teacher should have 30 kids in a classroom k-12. College? Sure.

Christie, as her boss, said exactly what a boss in the private sector would say: You are free to go where the money is if this comnpany isn’t compensating you well enough.

That’s the free market. There’s no job security. Every single day you earn that paycheck or you are replaced. The mentality that you can bitch at management just on principle and not negotiate on performance and what you bring to the table is anathema to a for profit enterprise. If you aren’t improving the bottom line then you are hurting it and you are replaced. If I were a teacher I would be showing up to these meetings with a list of my graduates and what they are accomplishing, financially and their value in other ways. I would point to measurable improvements in their potential if they are k-11 and I would be ready to make the case that my teaching and mentoring has real value to the county, city, state and country. If you can’t smack down that with your resume or at least make the case that you have a plan to produce results, then I would just take what they pay and start looking for another line of work where you matter.

Teachers. You want Christie to pay you more? Make your case.

BrideOfRove on May 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Have a great day.

Grace_is_sufficient on May 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Thanks Grace, and you have a great day also.

Keemo on May 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM

What a way to wake up!

This guy is fantastic.

gophergirl on May 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Proud Rino on May 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I wonder how often Proud Rino has typed those very words at, say, DU or HuffPo or DKos. I mean, if you want to find some REAL hatred, those are the places to look and vent all that indignant moral superiority.

ddrintn on May 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM

I see all the 180 day stuff. Back in the time of the textbook in question (1956), many of us had the privilege of being on the Government payroll in Europe or Korea. For the lower ranks it was $222.30/ mo for officers and down to $39/mo enlisted. The officers had to buy their own food and uniforms. The interesting part was that every summer we were innundated by young, female teachers taking their trips through Europe. For being paid so little, at least the teachers could make it through the continental rounds, and the summers off allowed them to do it.

The upside to this was the wonderful summer pastures the GIs were able to browse through. (A man in uniform was still irrestible to many young women.) Another upside is that we came home to better paying jobs than they did.

Old Country Boy on May 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Teachers in general work 9 months a year when taking into account vacations. The school day is 6 hours. I’ll add another hour for prep time. So that’s 36 weeks multiplied by 7 hours by 5 days = 1260 hours a year.

$30K = $23.80 an hour
$40K = $31.76 an hour
$60K = $47.61 an hour

And that is before the pension, health insurance kicks in which adds another $10 – 15 an hour of value.

So please teachers unions, STFU.

angryed on May 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Christie is exactly what NJ needs. Too bad we don’t have him throughout the nation.

jeffn21 on May 26, 2010 at 8:48 AM

rokemronnie on May 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Back in the day – 1966 – my seventh grade math instructor had all of us construct a slide rule using cardboard(?) from cereal or clothing boxes. It taught me a lot and I used a slide rule from then through sophomore year in college, when I succumbed to the siren call of the HP 45.

ya2daup on May 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 26, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Exactly. That is what killed Greece…unions in general. They have their guaranteed salary/benefits and early retirement. No country can sustain that….no country. Now that the EU has bailed them out, the union folks in Greece are “protesting” (I’m being kind, they are rioting) because they are losing some of their free stuff. Madness.

atlgal on May 26, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Noelie on May 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM

The fact that you did not experience something doesn’t mean it did not, or does not, exist.

DrMagnolias on May 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM

“Well, you know then that you don’t have to do it.” Some in the

Ms Wilson went on the say that if she had a nickel for every time she whined about other people who make more money than her, she’d be a millionaire.

olesparkie on May 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Ya’ll… there’s a little voice telling me that this dude might be a future president. Despite his chunky exterior, which I”m sure the libbies would LOVE to turn the discussion to, he is one tough governor (far better than the governator). He’s someone who tells it like it is and isn’t afraid to do so. We NEED that. Not a president who virtually ignores the destruction of Gulf fisheries and wild lands because he’s too busy denigrating the people of a border state who are tired of government inaction.

I’m going to keep watching this guy. He’s currently a favorite of mine in the conservative world. I hope he keeps up the good work.

Mad Mad Monica on May 26, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Well, none.

And 1600 students? That’s a small high school for our district–our largest one is over 3000, and mine is small next year at around 1600 (which means we cut programs, which sucks for our students). My largest class this term is 39, most are in the high 30s. Today is the last day of school, hallelujah until August 10!

Bob's Kid on May 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM

DrMagnolias on May 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Funny, I hear that same line from the Chicken-Little AGW fanatics.

Dark-Star on May 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Ask the major teachers unions how much money they have in their coffers…

Heres a hint: UTA – $487M

Guess where that comes from?

Teaching unions are the problem, with teachers – being members – also the problem.

Its really that simple.

During the recent financial crisis – does anyone care if a bad broker “only” made $50k last year? No.

Anytime teaching unions are brought up – every teahcer gives a sob story of “how much I spend outside of the classroom”… as if no other trade requires you to spend outside of your job. Every teacher comes out of the woodwork to complain about their 9 months of working, regardless of the fact – their benefits alone (not just hc – the fact through retirement plans) – up to 30% more in prepaid tax monies can be saved, vs the avg schmuck out there – explain that please…

I worked with NYS teachers and their unions, here are the stats from 2005:

Average retirement income: $78,500
Average % who are bread winners: 22%
Average pension fund worth upon retiring: $783,000

And I am also sorry – but the notion “teaching is the greatest gift… blah blah is BS” Its a sad cliche.

Education is key – teachers, not so much. Hence the rise in homeschooling and the fact – 50% of millionaires in America have nothing more than a HS diploma…

Every good teacher I had or knew doesnt complain about their failures. The are just great teachers. Its not about the content being taught – its how that content IS taught that makes better students. The only mitigating factor is the teacher themselves.

The other pool of teacher I knew – made serious money during the summer – as financial planners, consultants, copywriters etc. (there are few limitations, per union contracts as to what teachers can do for 3 months) They controlled their destiny.

So do a poll – if anyone out there got paid what teachers do for 9 months of work, would yo

a) use those other 3 months to make more money
b) do nothing for 3 months and be content
c) complain about how little you are paid
d) learn another trade or advanced degree each summer

The fact most teachers choose c lets you know their motivation from the beginning… and it shows in their studetns results.

Odie1941 on May 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Fed45 on May 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Chortle! People like you make me laugh because you have no idea what you’re talking about. Just too funny.

Public education in this country would vastly improve if they changed one thing about it: it needs to be viewed as a privilege, not a right. As it is now we have very little disciplinary leverage over problem students, or students who just don’t work and fail, wasting taxpayer dollars (and making it more difficult for their more motivated peers to learn). If parents knew that their kid could be permanently removed from the “free” system by his/her actions and that mom/dad would have to pay for a private school, they might be more diligent in overseeing their child’s schoolwork. Or vouchers, that’d work too, but we need to be able to have the same disciplinary measures as private schools to get the same results.

But as long as lefties are in charge of education, it’ll never happen.

Bob's Kid on May 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I just did a quick search on NJ teachers salaries and found that:

Average Teacher Salary Rank: 4th
Starting Teacher Salary Rank: 3rd
Salary raise last year: 2.9%
Salary raise over 10 years: 19.3%
(Source: http://teacherportal.com/salary/New-Jersey-teacher-salary)

In this economy a 2.9% pay rise is pretty good. A 19% rise over 10 years, when you don’t even have merit pay, is astounding. I got only a 1% raise this year and none the year before due to economic conditions.

And the median salary of a NJ teacher is almost 60K, which means the pay scale goes even higher. Of course this doesn’t include all the time off they get, the fully paid health care and retirement benefits, etc.

The days of sacrificing salary because you’re a teacher are long gone. As another poster said, the teachers need to STFU.

crusader1145 on May 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Dude — 2016, right?

Is William Howard Taft’s bathtube available in the White House?

BDU-33 on May 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Dark-Star on May 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Your point is?

DrMagnolias on May 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM

crusader1145 on May 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Thank you for posting that info – I was heading out to find the same.

I realize that different states pay their teachers differently but Christie is dealing with NJ teachers and their salaries/benefits.

When he made the previous cut in education Christie offered to share the savings with the school districts where teachers agreed to contribute 1.5% toward their EXTREMELY nice health benefits. Last time I checked less than 5% of the almost 600 districts agreed. So teachers in NJ can STFU about how it’s for the children.

They think it’s horrible that they are being expected to go without raises when much of the private sector has, if they’re able to have jobs. They whine about having to take on extra work – welcome to the real world. They complain because they spend extra time in preparation but they ignore the fact that they work 180, maximmum 6 hour, days a year. Why should they get paid as if they work 50, 40 hour, weeks like most people? They tout their advanced degrees but don’t own up to that fact that most districts provide tuition reimbursement. They rightfully resent dipping into their own pockets to pay for school supplies but they fail to recognize that districts would be able to provide more to the students if they weren’t providing so much to the teachers.

katiejane on May 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM

A republican I wholeheartedly support! Who knew?

ernesto on May 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

“way over 184 days…” Like I said “boo-friggin’-hoo”

Fed45 on May 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

I know what you’re saying. I don’t complain about having to go to something that I may not get paid for, like when I take kids on an overnight on the weekend. It’s part of the job.
I personally don’t put in much time, if any, outside of school.
That’s what your prep time is for. I don’t spend that time gossiping like lots of other staff do.

Lectures & worksheets are pretty useless.
And being a ‘MacGuyver’ is not an insult bcs it means using your head.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM

I never said that I was ‘great at lecturing’.
And lecturing is a tool to communicate the knowledge that one can find in a book.
I haven’t been building myself up here as some superstar teacher. You are the one who is mockingly painting me this way.
I am confident in my abilities, but I am not arrogant.
You’ve got nothing to add that’s constructive.
All you’re piling up here is insults.
How brave of you.
I am pointing out things about teaching that can work in some situations.
Like about getting rid of books if you can. I did not advocate totally banning them.
Like making do with everyday cheap items when you can in science.
Not eliminating computers & other hi-tech devices.
You’re insulting me when you literally have no idea what goes on where I am.
You are mocking my abilities only based on what I have said here.
And for some reason you took the nasty, mocking, bitter tone when there was no reason to do so.
You are one steaming pile of nonsense.

kc-anathema on May 26, 2010 at 3:39 AM

There is a small school (closed down recently) here in S Central ND.
The dairy nearby employed an illegal family & they had kids in school. And of course they didn’t speak English.
Bcs of them, the school was forced to hire a translator.
There’s not a lot of those in ND.
It basically broke the school.
If you’re not a citizen or here legally, then you shouldn’t be able to attend public school or get ANY govt benefits of any kind.

Badger40 on May 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM

My family comes from the other side of this- My husband was a school administrator for over a decade. He had a unique view tho- He was the IT admin, so he had to go to all the meetings, but wasn’t involved with the decisions on anything but IT. He often tells about how the administrators would sit and discuss how to talk the bus drivers union out of something they were demanding that wasn’t even in their best interest, but by golly, they were going to have it. But the admins were far from virtuous. If they wanted new astroturf for the football stadium, they would bully the taxpayers and take away busing, art classes, popular extracurriculars, until the people knuckled under and gave them the dang money through a levy. Two years ago, when they had spent everything there was to spend, the voters demanded an administrator scalp. So they fired the IT department. If you don’t understand the work someone else does, it must be easy, right? There was never a more wretched hive of scum and villiany. We are glad to be out, and decided to homeschool- I got tired of deprogramming the kids every day. Now we get more done by 10 am then most school kids do in a week!

Kristamatic on May 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

SO GLAD I CAMPAIGNED FOR THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!

xler8bmw on May 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Man-Crush continues unabated.

mankai on May 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Just went to the public web site to check on Rita Wilson, She is not a public school teacher in NJ.

Check for yourself,

beatenbutnotbroken on May 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM

This deserves a repost.

RITA WILSON DOES NOT WORK AS A TEACHER IN NEW JERSEY! SHE WAS A PLANT!

wearyman on May 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Is this man married?!?! Awww, never mind, I am. :-) Happily I might add!!

DanaSmiles on May 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I’m a teacher and fortunately I’ve not been forced to join a teachers union. I lose out on some of their benefits, but I find the union itself so appalling I cannot in good conscious bring myself to join it. As for compensation, we don’t make a whole lot, even with benefits included. Most of the money goes to administrators who don’t do a whole lot of anything. I have two teachers aids for special ed kids in my classes. They make as much money as I do and their job is supposed to be to take care of the one or two disabled kids who really have no business with the general population in my classroom. What they typically do is just take those kids out to the library and surf the internet for the duration of my class period. So two wasted paychecks, and some kids who shouldn’t even be in my class.

I teach US History and Psychology to 11th and 12th graders.

Vegi on May 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Check for yourself,

beatenbutnotbroken on May 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM
This deserves a repost.

RITA WILSON DOES NOT WORK AS A TEACHER IN NEW JERSEY! SHE WAS A PLANT!

wearyman on May 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Try reading the whole thread. Even the 7th one down on this page 3. Here is your info on your search page.

WoosterOh on May 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Ok, so she should make $90/hr is her claim? Is she splitting atoms with her mind here? I’ve hired people to clean out a septic tank and paid them less, and if I can think of a job where you could charge whatever you;’d care to, that might very well be it.

83,000 / 90 = 922 hours… /8 = 115 days. (not the 5 days/wk 50 weeks/yr 200 days most people work)
Any chance I can make 80K+ working half as much as I do now?

Somehow I don’t see my boss going for this plan.

I’ve had friends who made about 80K/year at the education level required for a teacher… but they worked 55-60 hour weeks 50 weeks of the year.

Any chance she’s like to explain why her job is so special that if she worked a regular 9 to 5 day 50 weeks of the year schedule she’s worth $180,000 a year? Does she teach the kids to crap gold coins and sunshine?

gekkobear on May 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Okay, just to jump in here.. .and I’m not attacking the conservative posters in doing so, nor am I defending the whining teacher, but I have to say that my mother was a public school teacher (she now does catholic school, precisely because she got tired of the backstabbing and such).

But I’ll say that I don’t think it’s fair to accuse teachers of only working 180 days a year, (and I can say this from my mom’s experience).

The _Good_ teacher doesn’t just work 8 to 3 and then call it a day… She had to do prep work away from the “office” (classroom) She would be up many a late night at home finalizing lesson plans, grading papers, etc. And that’s not counting the teacher’s office sessions with the administration or the time that she would have with the parents (when they did get involved, and yes, she had some who did), or if she had to participate in extra-curricular activities.

(Heck, sometimes when I was living near her, I’d actually go see her and help her with some of them… like the science fairs and stuff.)

Even when she had to teach summer school (which she had to do), she didn’t exactly get 3 months of the year off, she had to do seminars and workshops to improve her performance at her job.

Now that being said, I do agree with what Gov. Christie gave as a response.

My mom accepted that as part of the job when she took it… she knew what she was getting into when she took on a career of teaching. She never asked for pity or sympathy in doing it.

Nobody put a gun to this woman’s head and made her choose a teaching career. If she think she’s being underpaid for her job, then go find another job to do.

But to say it’s just a “184 day a year job” isn’t entirely fair (again, I limit this to the teachers who do give a damn)…. Now if you want to talk about teacher’s unions or administrative backstabbing, that’s an entirely different issue.

DaSaintFan on May 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

So she’s arguing that she should be paid 90 bucks an hour?

Look, I’m not going to say that teachers are rich, but when my father taught, he couldn’t afford to make ends meet without taking a summer job until he’d worked for about two decades. Finally in the mid 1960s he could give up summer employment. But today, teachers are well compensated enough that even young ones in their first year or so of teaching often don’t do anything for three months of the year. That’s the thing to remember: when you hear that the average teacher makes 43K a year; it’s not really a year. It’s about 180 days when most of us work about 240 days in a given year.

radjah shelduck on May 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Absolutely right. And also, let’s not forget the benefits associated with union jobs.

ptcamn on May 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Most teachers spend around 180 days a year at the school on an official teacher work day.

WoosterOh on May 26, 2010 at 2:58 PM

You know, I’m starting to think it was a bad idea to oppose human cloning. We could use another 49 governors like this.

JackOfClubs on May 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Don’t think this has been posted yet, apologies if it has, here’s video of the exchange via a local tv report

schmitty on May 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Few teachers get paid what they are worth.
I would bet most are way over paid and the rest are under paid.

If it were not for the teachers unions, performance would rise and more competent teachers would get in the business.

If school administrations and bullsh!t subjects were pared down there would be plenty of money for higher pay.

TheSitRep on May 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM

He was elected on a very specific platform. It’s nice to see a politician follow through for a change. 2011 is shaping up to be a nice year.

Tommy_G on May 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

What a stupid premise to begin with – $3/hour per student… wha?

Are teacher compensation packages calculated that way somewhere? What would cause her to even suggest that this is a reasonable way to guestimate what she’s worth? Why not $4 per? $5? $2?

I must be missing something.

Midas on May 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Pay each teacher babysitting rates per hour per kid. Pretty much all they’re allowed to do anymore.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Question: Of all of planes parked at the concourse, how can you tell which one is full of teacher?

Answer: It’s the one that still whines even though the engines have been shut down.

BTW, I was a career teacher.

oakland on May 26, 2010 at 8:53 PM