Withering critique of Islamic misogyny in … “Sex and the City 2″?

posted at 10:12 pm on May 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, who makes a superb point about the reviewer’s description of the film as “blatantly anti-Muslim.” In this as in so much else, different rules apply when constructive criticism is directed at “oppressors” versus “the oppressed.”

I like, though, that he acknowledges how tough it’ll be for leftists to square feminism with disapproval of an officially sanctioned (yet institutionally misogynistic) victim culture.

These wan domestic squabbles are merely prelude to the movie’s major plot development. Samantha is approached by an Arab sheik to devise a PR campaign for his business enterprises, and he offers to fly her and her three gal pals on an all-expenses-paid luxury vacation to Abu Dhabi. (These scenes were filmed in Morocco.) Even in an escapist fantasy, the spectacle of women sinking into this billionaire’s paradise at a time of widespread economic hardship initially seems creepy and off-putting. Soon, however, their Arab sojourn takes unexpected turns. First of all, Carrie encounters her old flame, Aidan (John Corbett), at the spice market, but even more importantly, she and her friends run up against the puritanical and misogynistic culture of the Middle East. The rather scathing portrayal of Muslim society no doubt will stir controversy, especially in a frothy summer entertainment, but there’s something bracing about the film’s saucy political incorrectness. Or is it politically correct? “SATC 2″ is at once proudly feminist and blatantly anti-Muslim, which means that it might confound liberal viewers.

Indicative of the film’s contradictory stance is a scene in which the ladies perform a karaoke version of Helen Reddy’s “I Am Woman” in an Abu Dhabi nightclub. An equally outrageous moment comes when the interlopers are rescued by a bunch of Muslim women who strip off their black robes to reveal the stylish Western outfits they are concealing beneath their discreet garb. These endearingly loopy scenes exhibit the tasteless humor that enlivened the TV series on its best nights.

It’s absurd that this subject has to be tackled as a goofy subplot in a summer romantic comedy, but on the flip side, it’d never get as wide an audience as a drama as it would sprinkled with SATC sugar — especially among young viewers, who are bound to pack the house for this thing. I was planning to see it anyway since I’m one of the chosen few, but if it’s as sharp as a critique as THR suggests, it might actually achieve a certain political currency. The exit question I never thought I’d ask: Is “Sex and the City” about to become a conservative cause celebre?

Comments

Fingers crossed for a burka on the lead one.

rogerb on May 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM

so not milf worthy, except for the brunette.

moonbatkiller on May 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM

If you are a liberal and are, indeed, confounded by this aspect of SATC 2, perhaps it’s time to rethink one or both of your ideologies.

Will it really take a cheesy sequel to open the eyes of some liberals to the fact all they hold dear – feminism especially – will suffer if they ally themselves with Islam in the name of multiculturalism?

I don’t know whether to be satisfied with that or weep that people are so thick.

englishqueen01 on May 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM

No. But then again…you went all softy on Lost too, didn’t you?

AUINSC on May 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM

My wife is so happy, she thinks I will agree to see this in the theater with her because of this. Jury is still out on that, well at least for her, I have reached my verdict of, NO!

bluemarlin on May 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Allah,

You are going to leave the AllahCave for SATC2. Really? Really!?! Really!!!!

SATC 1 was a perfect ending to the series. This is just a cheap money grab!

Lance Murdock on May 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Hollywood has RELENTLESSLY attacked Christianity (mostly by mocking and parodying it) for decades, and now we’re supposed to care that they show Islam as not exactly pro-woman? C’mon.

mankai on May 24, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Is “Sex and the City” about to become a conservative cause celebre?

No, if it happens to wake up some young minds about Islam and the way it treats women, that will be fantastic!

bluemarlin on May 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Death threats in 3..2..

Joe Caps on May 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM

ninjapirate on May 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Is “Sex and the City” about to become a conservative cause celebre?

dude, are you playing in the kitty litter tonight? First, “lost” now, this? Wassup lil’ buddy, didn’t get any this weekend?

BTW, dick morris talked “impeachment” tonight regarding Squid Pro Quo. Once we get back on track here at Hotair, we may wanna pick that up.

ted c on May 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Here’s the plot of “Sex and the Muslim City”:

The four girls talk about their sexual freedom at a Saudi coffee house. All 4 are beheaded for being whores. The end.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM

is there a pic of mohammed involved? hand drawn? that plot just might work these days….

ted c on May 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Sorry….”Lost” “24″ SITC” and most shows on TV bore me…. I read. Have fun tube enamored nimrods

MNDavenotPC on May 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM

except for the brunette.

moonbatkiller on May 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM

such a smokeshow

ted c on May 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM

lots of other posts aside from those two

blatantblue on May 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM

ted c on May 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I feel like I am stalking you, as I made this same comment on another thread tonight, but I agree. I was watching that and that really needs to be talked about and you seem to be the only one bringing this up.

bluemarlin on May 24, 2010 at 10:31 PM

=========================================

True dat,me thinks!!

canopfor on May 24, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Well,there is always,

Sands Of Passion – Episode 1

canopfor on May 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Only Nixon could go to China?

Asher on May 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM

MNDavenotPC on May 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM

If 24 bores you, check your pulse. Ok, Season 6 notwithstanding.

Doughboy on May 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Never watched “Sex in the City” from beginning to end, but then again I am not one of the chosen few, nor have I ever understood the point of the show when it comes to my sex. Most women I know are not exactly like these women. And that is an understatement!

You want to see a movie about women, men and sex, watch “The Women” with Norma Shearer, or “The Best Years of Our Lives”. Real women, real men, real sexual issues.

Besides, I have viewed IM2 twice and the husbat says I have to save up for “The Expendables” coming out in August. LOL! Since the kids are home for the summer I might be able to go see “The Killers” with them and not force the man of the house to see that chick flick.

freeus on May 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Hmmmmm (scowling)….

100 lashes then buried up to their waists and stoned to death for besmirching the patriarchal imams that need to keep women in their proper place …. subjugated according to 7th century mores.

bannedbyhuffpo on May 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM

so not milf worthy, except for the brunette.

moonbatkiller on May 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Agreed.

crr6 on May 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Out of the mouths of babes.

I didn’t see any babes, just 3 middle aged woman and their beloved horse Sarah Jessica Parker.

Proud Rino on May 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM

If 24 bores you, check your pulse. Ok, Season 6 notwithstanding.

Doughboy on May 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM

im so sad 24 is over

my life is over

no point in living

seppuku now.

blatantblue on May 24, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Hey AP if you need some testosterone to help you make it through puberty I can donate some.
Of course you sound like you’re really low so we might have to set up a testosterone drive for you AP.
Best of all, you will ditch the cat and get a dog and learn how to chew tobacco.

LincolntheHun on May 24, 2010 at 10:44 PM

“Is “Sex and the City” about to become a conservative cause celebre?”

Eeewwwwwwww….

Seven Percent Solution on May 24, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I don’t understand why “I’m one of the chosen few”. Expand please!

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Proud Rino on May 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM

How dare you. On behalf of horses everywhere I’m going to take you to court.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM

im so sad 24 is over
my life is over
no point in living
seppuku now.
blatantblue on May 24, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Don’t do it! I hear Helen Thomas is on the market and I know you need your next conquest of the geriatric set.

LincolntheHun on May 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Enemy of my enemy.

ronsfi on May 24, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I think this is great and if it gets the message of the second class (at best) treatment Muslim women get that would be a bonus. Now as an old fuddy duddy conservative I must point out that the television show are just as entertaining off HBO without the garbage mouth scripts.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2010 at 10:48 PM

bluemarlin on May 24, 2010 at 10:31 PM

aside from that, maybe tomorrow night we can get a thread on jessica simpson’s new hairdo?

j/k ap

ted c on May 24, 2010 at 10:49 PM

They’ll trim the offensive scenes for the Muslim market.

“Socks on the Setee

profitsbeard on May 24, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Truth about islam from an ex-muslim lady

Wafan Saltan

canopfor on May 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Is “Sex and the City” about to become a conservative cause celebre?

Allah, you are missing the point.

Sex and the city was written & directed by gay men. Every aspect of the show’s writing was via gay men.

As such, the whole “this is the way women REALLY talk about sex!” is actually much more “this is basically how gay culture acts re: casual sex.” some hollywood type spilled the beans about it years ago, and it makes total sense now if you catch it on a rerun — this is basically NYC gay life acted out by 4 straight women.

So yeah, goign to the middle east, which hasn’t had the best PR campaign dealing with gays in the last few years (from saudi to iran to even iraq)? i think it’s more gay NYC tired of the muslims-giving-way-way-worse-than-evangelicals treatment to gays.

this movie should be called “revenge of teh ghey 2: darren star strikes back”

picklesgap on May 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM

The cast is a group of reasonably attractive middle age women (with one odd looking exception) in a show that will soon melt into the mouth of history. Truly nothing to see here.

Mason on May 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM

An equally clueless moment in the review comes when the reviewer has no idea that this is not outrageous…wealthy women in the Middle East do wear stylish clothes and only cover up with the abaya. The only thing that would be outrageous about the scene is them taking off the abayas in public…but that’s done for dramatic effect.

How…provincial…of THR to not know anything about another culture and to make baseless assumptions about it.

James on May 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Never mind.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM

LincolntheHun on May 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM

old liberal broads need love too

…i guess.

blatantblue on May 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM

It’s time to punch radical Islam back in the mouth–every day of the week…and twice on Sundays after church!

BuckeyeSam on May 24, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Do these fine, upstanding actresses portray Western women in a virtuous light without offending Islam?

If not, they better have some damn good security the rest of their lives.

BowHuntingTexas on May 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM

That’s actually not outrageous, that’s factual. The robes are for outside the house. Once home, or at the homes of friends, the ladies wear much more “normal” clothing underneath.

Ya gotta love culturally ignorant liberals.

funky chicken on May 24, 2010 at 11:09 PM

ninjapirate on May 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM

AMEN. It also annoys me that Sarah J Parker plays the liberal dreamgirl (promiscuous, career oriented, hedonistic, etc) in the series but lives a pretty normal (gasp, should I say conservative) life herself, with husband and kids?

funky chicken on May 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Here’s the plot of “Sex and the Muslim City”:

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Love this.

Marcus on May 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Are they supposed to have more robes on underneath?

pedestrian on May 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Second look at Sex in the City?

Tzetzes on May 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM

picklesgap on May 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM

ah, that makes sense.

funky chicken on May 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Have fun tube enamored nimrods

MNDavenotPC on May 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Obviously you’re better than everyone else, and we don’t deserve to be able to talk to you.

Esthier on May 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM

funky chicken on May 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Why does that annoy you? She’s an actress, playing a part. Why would she be more like her character?

Esthier on May 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Really all they’re doing is presenting what was the liberal-feminist viewpoint, circa August 2001. Remember how much fighting for equal rights for women against the Taliban was a major cause for feminists before 9/11, in large part because they thought they were both out ahead of the curve and putting pressure from a new angle on the Bush Administration.

Once 9/11 happened and Bush went after Osama and the Taliban, the cause of Afghan women’s rights in particular and Muslim women’s rights in general pretty much pettered out, because those same liberal feminists care more about not being seen as being on the same side as Bush than they did about their pre-attack cause. Now that Obama is in office, the “Sex In the City” crew may have decided it’s safe to dip a toe back into at least noticing the oppressive lifestyle radical Islam imposes on women, without being accused of being some sort of propaganda lackey of the evil Bush-Cheney-Rove cabal.

jon1979 on May 24, 2010 at 11:34 PM

funky chicken on May 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I am not sure conservative is a word I would use for her. These were the concerns of a very wealthy woman.

Sarah Jessica is concerned about a Bush presidency. Speaking to a Washington Post reporter, she said, “I’m worried about the kind of cuts he might make in domestic programs that mean something to a lot of people, including people in my family who depend on certain things from the government

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM

(sarcasm = on)B b b b b b b b …. but Muslims tell us that they LOVE women and treat women with the utmost respect …

How could you be so Islamophobic and Arabophobic as to think that they mistreat women?

Aren’t we Westerners, citizens of the Great Satan, supposed to learn from Muslim Men, and Arab Men, and especially Arab-Muslim or Muslim-Arab men the proper way to treat women?

(sarcasm = off)

William2006 on May 25, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Cold Day in hell that a bunch of lobotomized characters on one of the stupidest shows and movies would become representative of the conservative cause.

That being said, if they tweak a few noses in the Muslim world with their supposed commentary, good.

Still, my favorite movie of late which represents the cause of conservatism: “Taken”. Nothing like watching a guy get throat punched for me to practically have an orgasm…. ;)

mjk on May 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Regarding the series and movies “Sex and the City,” I am among those who, upon seeing an episode, was so bored and offended at how much time I wasted viewing that show, that I can freely say that Sex and the City is a waste of time. The characters are so narcisistic, so full of angst, so boring and off putting in their personality, that I cannot feel anything for them but repulsion. They are so elitist and have such weird views and such comfy lives.

I think I’d rather watch Paint Dry, or watch a Curling competition, or watch fat old men play softball, or watch senior citizens speed about in an adult care center in their wheel chairs, than watch Sex and the City.

Maybe after the movie comes out and Muslims attack the actresses, producers, crew, movie theaters which present the movie, and movie audience who attend, claiming that their attacks were or are in retaliation for offending Islam, then we can talk about the significance of this flick, and if anyone will wake up and smell the mungbeans.

My guess is that if some hate filled violent attack is launched by Muslims after this movie’s release, lefties will somehow blame the US, George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Consevatives, Christians, Israel, Jews, “Zionists,” and maybe even aliens from outerspace. They just will NEVER admit the truth, even when it comes up and bites them on the nose.

William2006 on May 25, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Islam is slavery to the will of Allah.
Liberalism, Collectivism, Socialism, Progressivism, Communism et al, is slavery to the will of the State.
Slavery is Slavery, and this is why Liberals don’t have a problem with Islam.

I’ll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I’ll get on my knees and pray
We don’t get fooled again
Don’t get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss…

Pole-Cat on May 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM

In defense of SATC (and yes, I sit in no small disbelief at having typed those words), the show has taken aim at some of the sacred cows of feminism in the past.

Whatever the ultimate value of the show and movies (non-zero, but smallish), it did take some quantum of guts to dip a toe into these waters. Credit where due (with appropriate interest rate, of course).

Noocyte on May 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM

There is no place to hide from this movie.

lexhamfox on May 25, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Semi OT: Did anyone watch MTV’s True Life finale about the four Saudi Arabian young adults?
It looked promising.

(Shut up…I love that show.)

Bee on May 25, 2010 at 2:28 AM

I’ve never been a fan of SITC, but if using comedy to tackle this issue works, I’d gladly go see it.

Jewels on May 25, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Jewels on May 25, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Very nice blog! Did you design it yourself?

Bee on May 25, 2010 at 2:45 AM

That being said, if they tweak a few noses…

mjk on May 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I see what you did there.

rogerb on May 25, 2010 at 4:32 AM

I was planning to see it anyway since I’m one of the chosen few

Right. Anything you say.

peacenprosperity on May 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM

I’ve only seen about 60 seconds of this show tripe.

Cannot imagine that the fans know anything about much of anything except shoes.

Urban Infidel on May 25, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Cannot imagine that the fans know anything about much of anything except shoes.

Urban Infidel on May 25, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Obama 2012!

rogerb on May 25, 2010 at 7:03 AM

I want to see it now after reading about Charlotte and Miranda bitching about their kids.

This movie is a comedy. That means that no matter how they depict Muslims and Muslim society it will still be a fantasy. Unless it ends with Carrie and Aiden in jail for being seen together it will be a farce. Maybe that’s the scene where the Muslim women take off their burkas to reveal all those designer clothes? To get Carrie and Aiden out of a jam? Oh, yeah, that should be hilarious. Ha ha ha.

Jaynie59 on May 25, 2010 at 7:09 AM

That “chick” second from right looks like David Bowie.

And…Sarah Jessica Parker is one butt ugly woman.

LtE126 on May 25, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Bingo. I never watched it and am proud of that fact, especially after this came out.

But don’t get your hopes up the message will sink in regarding radical Islam and liberal ideology, and the inherent conflicts therein. In fact, watch for Maureen Dowd to pen a scathing editorial blaming Christians because they are just incapable of understanding the threat Islam poses.

englishqueen01 on May 25, 2010 at 7:14 AM

I think a little public whipping is in order for these infidels…with a bag over their head, they are definitely passed their prime and of no use to Hollywood anymore.

right2bright on May 25, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Any true feminist would be anti-Islam.

Anti-Muslim assumes a hatred for the people not the religion.

I haven’t seen the film, but I am sure it’s as harmless as a Mo cartoon.

Disturb the Universe on May 25, 2010 at 7:37 AM

And if these silly gals can cause anyone to take a moment to question Islam, I wholeheartedly support them.

Disturb the Universe on May 25, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Forgive me if I don’t rush out & take the word of a Hollywood reporter that something is “Blatantly Anti-Muslim”

Most of them would probably say that because I don’t wrap my sister in head to toe black bhurka gear while at Disneyworld I am being ‘blatantly anti-Muslim’, or at least not sensitive enough to Jihadists everywhere.

saus on May 25, 2010 at 8:33 AM

“Slay the unbelievers wherever you find them,” Koran 2:191.

I’m blantantly Muslim. I’m blatantly against anyone who wants to kill me and everyone I know.

Akzed on May 25, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I’m blantantly anti-Muslim.

/whoa!

Akzed on May 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM

My wife is going to the NACAR races with me this weekend, so I will be seeing SATC-2 with her next week.

I think that it’s kind of funny that the show apparently focuses on Islam’s inherent mysogeny.

It’s about time someone in the movie industry did so.

Alla akhbar!

molonlabe28 on May 25, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I am glad a C movie has more effect on liberals than the beheading, stoning and rape of millions of women in Muslim cultures…

Odie1941 on May 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM

You want to have discussion of Islam’s negatives mainstream, you have a silly movie like SATC tackle it. Then it’ll be alright for everyone else to start talking about the misogyny in the Middle East.

AlexB on May 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Even if it is a “small” jab. It is more than our elite media will do.

Bravo Michael Patrick King…writer, producer, director. Very gay, very bright guy.

You all are aware that SJP is an Obama swooner….

nondhimmie on May 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

The redhead ain’t bad looking.
The brunette and blonde eh.
Parker needs serious plastic surgery.

I have seen, collectively, about 15 minutes of the show over the years.
Enough to know that it really should have been titled “Sluts in the City”.

Anything that slams Islam ain’t all bad though.
However I believe the West and Islam can agree on this one point: Parker really needs one of those burka things!

Bubba Redneck on May 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM