Joe Sestak: Um, yeah, Obama tried to buy me off by offering me a job

posted at 3:23 pm on May 23, 2010 by Allahpundit

Comedy gold from “Meet the Press,” polished off by DNC Chair Tim Kaine grudgingly admitting that it might be time for the White House to come clean. If you need your memory jogged about this, I don’t blame you: Sestak first dropped the bombshell that the White House tried to bribe him out of the primary against Specter more than three months ago. A month after that, pieces were already appearing about how absurd Gibbs’s stonewalling had become; two months later, he’s still stonewalling, refusing this morning to tell Bob Schieffer anything about it except that nothing “inappropriate” happened. Which is probably true: Handing Sestak a briefcase full of money to get out of the race would be indictment-worthy, but handing him the same cash in the form of a paycheck plus the prestige that comes with the title of Secretary of the Navy is just good ol’ horse-trading. No wonder “Washington” is a curse word.

Back when this story first broke, I thought Specter would stand a better chance against Toomey than Sestak would, reasoning that in a Republican year a more centrist Democrat would fare better than a liberal. That was a miscalculation — Specter’s naked opportunism and entrenched incumbency probably would have left him a sitting duck — but evidently the White House’s political team miscalculated the same way, which is … surprising. I realize that they promised Specter they’d campaign for him, but to be so committed to him as to try to buy Sestak off seems bizarre in hindsight. It could be, I suppose, that they feared that a contentious primary would hurt their chances in the general regardless of who won, but that would be a miscalculation too. What kind of shop is Axelrod running over there?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sestak should at minimum be subpoenaed by Congress and required to say – under oath – exactly what occurred. DarkKnight3565 on May 23, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Maybe he would were he not a Dem. Maybe he will in January.

Akzed on May 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM

this is the 2nd time in a week that Sestak has been in the catbird seat on this issue. Some CNN dude asked him straight up the same question the NBC dude asked him and he prevaricated over it–now, the gig is totally up and I look forward to some further investigation into this.

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Re Weldon and the Able Danger Project: here is one link

Ed Morrissey was following this story back at his old blog Captain’s Quarters. Look for more info at ask.com. I don’t use google.

Part of the info unearthed by Able Danger is that there was an awareness of Mohammed Atta and other 9/11 perpetrators back during the Clinton administration. The whistleblower who revealed that information was summarily dismissed with trumped-up charges that impugned his character.

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Sestak is a very dangerous politician.

A tough sounding, former admiral, extreme liberal.

He’s going to be very formidable against Toomey, unfortunately.

aquaviva on May 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM

He still voted in lock step with Nancy…

CCRWM on May 23, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Interestingly enough, Scaife was rather bullish on Hillary for the 2008 run.

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Actually, Scaife endorsed her.

Del Dolemonte on May 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM

whoa…thanks for that link. Able Danger —Curt Weldon got really really close to breaking some information about some folks, then loses his election to ….Joe Sestak. Hmmmm that’s pretty interesting if I’m putting this together correctly. I wonder where Mr. Weldon is today, and I’ll ask the same question Jack Cashill asked, “Why Joe Sestak?”…. what do these people know and when did they know it about this Able Danger thing. Why was it that Joe Sestak was to be promoted to SECNAV besides clearing the way for Arlen Specter? What is it about Sestak’s CAIR connections that would’ve positioned him at the pinnacle of our most powerful power projection capability, if anything.

hhmmmmm mmmm mmmm…

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 5:55 PM

AH_C on May 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Oh, no! Sestak voted for every “progressive” bit of legislation on ObaMao’s and Pelosi’s wish list. He is very, very Left. He also appears to be an opportunist. I have an inkling that his accusation against the WH operatives slipped out because he was angry over not getting the party’s support over the turncoat Specter. It wasn’t nobility and honor that prompted Sestak.

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 5:55 PM

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if Jaime Gorelick had a hand in that angle. She was then “rewarded” with a seat on the 9/11 “Commission”, solely so she would never be able to be questioned under oath.

When former Attorney General John Ashcroft brought up this Inconvenient Truth about Gorelick at the 9/11 hearings, he was loudly shouted down by the Clintonistas in the gallery.

Del Dolemonte on May 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Could the long-running FBI corruption probe into former Pennsylvania GOP congressman Curt Weldon be winding down, without charges?

That’s what the Philadephia Daily News suggests, noting the fact that the Justice Department recently sent letters to people whose conversations were intercepted as part of the investigation, including the paper’s own reporter, William Bender.*

Bender writes that such notifications are generally sent toward the end of an investigation, when revealing the information would no longer be harmful. Experts tell him this could well be a sign that the probe is wrapping up.

So, weldon gets investigated, loses an election to Sestak, then the investigation goes nowhere, no charges….Hmmmm. That’s a pretty interesting use of a “federal investigation”..

May 2009 talkingpointsmemo

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I really think Pat Toomey needs to do some “linda McMahon” oppo research into Sestak—the early evidence suggests there may be bodies littered all over the place covered over with lies, distortions and nefarious connections. I’d challenge this admiral’s honor and loyalty to the United States with the information available here.

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Here is more Able Danger info, the actual speech that Weldon gave in the House, which should be archived in the Congressional Record:

I had a whole file on these shenanigans against Weldon and why they were perpetrated, but I lost the file when my hard drive melted.

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 6:13 PM

What’s the big effing deal?

/s

NC Hoov on May 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM

It wasn’t nobility and honor that prompted Sestak.

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Apparently Sestak has been representing himself as a 3 star admiral on political materials but was forced to retire as a 2 star since he didn’t have enough time in rank when his command was taken by Adm. Mullen.
Reminds me of “General” Blumy in Connecticut, enhancing your story at the risk of a damaging backstory being outed.

Kinda funny how Adm. Mullen walked back any sense of rebuke that could be assumed by taking away Sestak’s command immediately after his promotion. Maybe Mullen found out after the fact about Sestak’s shady connection to power.

ontherocks on May 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM

May 2009 talkingpointsmemo

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM

And that was the same underhanded strategy used against “The Hammer,” the GOP House Speaker from Texas. (Dang, names are eluding me.)

Del Dolemonte: Gorelick should be doing hard time in Leavenworth for her role re 9/11 and “the Wall,” as well as her protections on the committee. She should have been subpoenaed. Likewise, she profited handsomely serving on the board of Fannie…or was it Freddie?

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Good grief! Schieffer is such a maroon. Gibbs wasn’t being asked if anything inappropriate happened. He was simply asked if Sestak was offered a position. Seems like a pretty simple follow up. “That’s all well and good, Mr. Gibbs. I’m not asking if what was alleged to have happened was inappropriate. I simply asked if Mr. Sestak was offered a position. Was he offered a job? Yes or no?”

Fed45 on May 23, 2010 at 6:30 PM

O/T: Finally, someone dares to say the right thing, and ask the right questions… Oh, and of coarse since the GOP has no man with enough character and a set to him, it had to be Sarah once again. BP donated huge to the Obama campaign, and has always been in bed with Democrats.

Keemo on May 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Many, many, many investigations need to take place following November… We must demand it and not accept any excuses.

Keemo on May 23, 2010 at 7:08 PM

wy, waaaaaaay OT, or….maybe not at all.

The most bizarre story I have ever seen on the net, proof that perhaps truth is not stranger than fiction after all, absolutely unreal!

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Even if the novel is authentic and from’79, and plot point by plot point he has a case.

Good luck collecting any damages because HELLO, you were right, we’re bankrupt. There’s no money.

Maybe we should be sneaking a peek at the end of his novel. Then again….

ontherocks on May 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I wish I knew how a retired Navy flag rank officer ended up as a liberal. All those 18th century rituals and traditions… You don’t get where he was by “libbing” in such a heavily conservative atmosphere.
The Messiah & Co. were simply applying Chicago rules with Sestak. Back home, you buy off people like him. The difference is, back home, people take the payoff. Now they’re acting like nothing happened, because in their world, nothing did – he didn’t take the bribe! No harm, no foul! Attempts don’t count!
And lucky for them, the dimwits in the press agree. “Trying” is not front-page. “No harm in trying.” No blood on the floor if you miss. Nothing to see here – move along.

n0doz on May 23, 2010 at 7:53 PM

The media is the problem.
justltl on May 23, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Give that man a see-gar.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Everyday this gets more and more ridiculous. When are the adults going to clean out the sandbox?

nwpammy on May 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM

nwpammy on May 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM

justice….is.on.its.way.

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Time for a “Special Persecutor”

J_Crater on May 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM

This administration isn’t smart at all, people are just afraid to say how stupid they are. Everyone is afraid of being called a racist.

Cindy Munford on May 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Maybe we should be sneaking a peek at the end of his novel. Then again….

ontherocks on May 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I download4ed it, will get back with the final pages, by the title at least its a happy ending. I hope he’s right, I’ve often opined that Barack may be the catalyst necessary to reverse the 100yrs of insipid socialism.

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM

justice….is.on.its.way.

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I can live with that as long as they’re not worried about the speed limit while enroute, and it’s not the DOJ.

ontherocks on May 23, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM

If he’s wrong about the happy ending, he’ll be hearing from my attorney.

ontherocks on May 23, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Cindy Munford on May 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Thsi I feel is what is behind the ridiculous personal poll rating s BHO gets, even though all his policies and agenda are solidly rebuked by the public. You can disagree with the the Dhim’s, you can diagree with the path the DNC has taken, and as polls show by overwhelming numbers disagree with the direction of the country, but his personal approval ratings remain artificiallly high because no-one wants to labeled racist. That is the disconnect.

Until a vaible methodology is constructed to counteract this phenomenon, we are in trouble.

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

It’s called the Bradley Effect after a Black mayor of LA,
and it’s a contrary indicator.

ontherocks on May 23, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I think he will do something to hurt the entire nation in a decisive way first. I can bring myself to hope for it but I watch in constant dread.

Cindy Munford on May 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Keemo on May 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I saw a bit of her interview on Fox New Sunday. She said she really appreciates the platform she has been given. She appreciates it? Who else would be answering back, if not for her?

Cindy Munford on May 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM

It wasn’t nobility and honor that prompted Sestak.

onlineanalyst on May 23, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I stand corrected. Sounds more like Sestak is the petulant opportunist like Gen. Wesley Clark.

AH_C on May 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I think this is part of the Americans-as-too-polite deal. I mean, c’mon, there’s always that one “kid” on a baseball team that whiffs when he gets up to the plate and all the folks in the stands are clapping and saying, “C’mon lil’ buddy, hang in there…awwww, maybe next time.” The high polls are just them clapping for him. When it comes time to pick teams again, all the folks are going to send him packing though.

0-4 champ…hang in there. Oh, BTW, Didja hear about Djou?

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Cindy Munford on May 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I’m sure of it, its just a matter of the timing and whether its reparable. I have long been advocate of not going off the deep end, but we are assuredly in a time of great peril, I feel if we the pull “the trigger” too soon on actual insubordinance we will only feed the “right-wing, extremist, tea bagger” mantra. I think that the powers that be are deliberately trying to instigate such an occurrence to justify “police state” tactics in the name of “public safety”.

I have repeatedly urged temperance in the run-up to ’10 & ’12 for this exact reason. While am at least as passionate about the defense of our liberties as some of the more militant commenters on HA, I will not allow passions to overide sound tactical appraisal. We must not play into the public safety rubric that allows the engagement of police-state measures that were foolishly enacted under Bush, to take hold.

The court of public opinion is too valuable to discard so calously, we must bide our time, attempt to win through the ballot box, lest we let the oppostiion paint us in the light they are already attemptitg against us. try to use the legitamimate channels first, before outright insurrection. If we lose the “hearts and minds” of the public, or all is lost.

While I am as militant as anyone here in my beleifs, I will not “pull the trigger” of insurrection until it is the advantageous position amonst the the public to assume. We are close, but not there yet.

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I am going to drop a vote like a JDAM this fall…. I think of that and it helps me cope.//

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 9:55 PM

0-4 champ…hang in there. Oh, BTW, Didja hear about Djou?

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Yup, and yes I did, I stayed up (CST) to watch the returns come in. ai am torn by the greatest fear

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Sorry, hit wrong buton, to finish…… I have is between the descent into socialist purgatory of the current policies, and the greatest hope of that the clarity of perspective resultant of of how close the edge we’ve come leads to an overwhelming recognition, of founding priciples.

I know, I’m an optimist at heart, despite my dire prognostications.

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Nite all, I’m out.

Archimedes on May 23, 2010 at 10:21 PM

He must be a true believer to continue to kiss up to Obambi . He is called a liar everyday with Obama’s silence . After all the Spectre mess he still loves him some Obama . He is like the kid who was so ugly he had to tie a pork chop around his neck so the dog would play with him .

borntoraisehogs on May 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I hope Ed leads with this story tomorrow for the day’s opening thread. It’s on politico, fox, hotair, drudge, cbs, nbc—multiple outlets are carrying it. The White House is admitting it, it happened, and we cannot let them get away with a “woops, sorry!” on this one. This is illegal, it’s against the constitution and should be pursued as such.

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM

doug powers has a great video up at MMs site regarding this.

The plot thickens and the troof needs to come out. How about at this week’s press conference? er….wait a sec..?!

ted c on May 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM

AP

Bing.

Jaibones on May 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Joe Sestak: Um, yeah, Obama tried to buy me off by offering me a job

Gibbs: “We didn’t do anything wrong…..and if anything illegal happened, it was Bush’s fault”

olesparkie on May 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM

What kind of shop is Axelrod running over there?

Really Allah you should try to pay more attention!

It’s a Totalitarian, Thug-ocracy!

Get with the program!