Blumenthal wins Dem endorsement by acclamation at CT convention

posted at 11:25 am on May 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

If Democrats wanted to push Richard Blumenthal off of the ticket for the US Senate in Connecticut, they had an opportunity last night.  Instead, they initially blocked competing candidate Merrick Alpert from speaking, and his subsequent withdrawal led to an endorsement by acclamation for the Attorney General who got exposed as a fabulist about his service during the Vietnam War era.  Blumenthal still didn’t apologize after taking the stage to Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down”:

With several references to his problems of the past week, Richard Blumenthal accepted the Democratic Party’s nomination for the U.S. Senate on Friday night by saying that he might be outspent but will never be outworked or intimidated in this fall’s election.

Blumenthal’s campaign is still reeling from the controversy caused by his videotaped speech in Norwalk in 2008 in which he said he had served in Vietnam – when he actually served stateside during the war in the United States Marine Corps Reserve.

“I have made mistakes,” Blumenthal told the crowd at the state Democratic Party nominating convention in Hartford. “I regret them. And I have taken responsibility. But this campaign must be about the people of Connecticut.”

Has he?  In his strange press conference at the VFW on Tuesday — an organization for which Blumenthal doesn’t qualify for membership — Blumenthal passed off his claims as poor choices of words.  He characterized the criticism as an attack on his otherwise honorable service as a way of claiming victimization from his own actions.  Far from taking responsibility, Blumenthal conducted a blame-throwing exercise that was so breathtaking in its cynicism that even the media and a strategist from his own party couldn’t swallow it.

Blumenthal’s cynicism was matched by that of his party’s leadership.  Apparently afraid that Merrick Alpert might say something to win the endorsement, they blocked him from speaking at all:

On the night that Democrats intended to coronate Blumenthal as their nominee for U.S. Senator, his opponent, Merrick Alpert, was initially prevented from speaking at the party convention. But after votes had been cast for Blumenthal  by many delegations, Alpert suddenly appeared at the podium.

“I would like to formally withdraw my name from nomination,” Alpert said shortly before 8 p.m. That line generated enthusiastic applause from the crowd. “We’re going to have an early dinner. Good night.” …

Alpert released a copy of the speech that he intended to deliver – as he struggled to try to reach the minimum of 15 percent of the delegates that are necessary to force a primary.

“You deserve a primary. We need a primary,” Alpert said in his prepared remarks.

Known for his outspokenness, Alpert had prepared to tell the delegates that he believes the recent controversies of the past week would cause the Democrats to lose the U.S. Senate election in November. He included remarks that many of the delegates clearly would not want to hear on their party’s big night.

“We’re not ready to win the Senate election,” Alpert said in his remarks. “My assessment is if the general election were held this Tuesday, we would lose. After the events of this week, the polls confirm my assessment.”

So far, the polls have been at least tight, and Blumenthal’s rapid descent over the past week may make Alpert a genius in retrospect.  Blumenthal might survive, but once a candidate looks dishonest, it’s hard to bounce back.  Alpert tried to give Democrats some breathing space to recover if Blumenthal implodes, and they may well live to regret having gagged him instead of taking his advice.

Comments

Did you know that Richard Blumenthal served during Viet Nam?

Emperor Norton on May 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Blumenthal still didn’t apologize after taking the stage to Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down.”

I hope Tom Petty tells him to stop using his song. I don’t hold out much hope, but it would be cool.

Disturb the Universe on May 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I’ll say one thing for democrats. Be it Blumenthal, or immigration, or health care, right or wrong, they go all or nothing.
When is November?

redshirt on May 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Lying crapweasels”R”us

katy the mean old lady on May 22, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Thanks DNC, this should officially hand us the CT seat in the senate. I hope linda goes for the jugular and puts up an ad looping all the times this ass claimed he during in ‘Nam.

1 down 9 to go.

Archimedes on May 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Dems don’t care.

Liar? check
Corrupt? check
Phony? check
Displays arrogant self-righteousness when caught lying? check

Well, heck, this guy is an awesomely awesome democrat candidate!

Rational Thought on May 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Y’know, I had sex with Cindy Crawford once…and Christie Brinkley too. Wha, you don’t believe me? Just come see my press conference this afternoon where I’ve got 12 Victoria’s Secret models coming to support me and my campaign.//

ted c on May 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

He insulted the military – he’s set for life.

OldEnglish on May 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Why is there zero follow up reporting on the fake “Marine” Blumental had on stage at his press conference?

tetriskid on May 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM

As a Connecticut resident, I really hope Blumenthal doesn’t get to represent me. McMahon doesn’t excite me either, and I expect she’ll not be connected to any of the WWE “scandals” in Stamford.

This is a time when both parties need to call out and distance themselves from any bad press amongst their candidates, so it’s a bit surprising CT Dems are sticking with Blumenthal.

JetBoy on May 22, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I doubt their voters will even notice they have another LIAR candidate. But how exactly do you lie about being in a war.

tarpon on May 22, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Lets hope, ten years from now, Blumenthal will be able to say, “I served in…whoops…I mean I served during the US Senate.”

RBMN on May 22, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Blumenthal might will survive, but because once a democrat candidate looks dishonest, it’s hard to bounce back keep the stupid liberals from voting for him.

FIFY

ROCnPhilly on May 22, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Sorry but I question whether we will be any better off with Mrs. McMahon. “Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. …”

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

They elected Chris Dodd how many times? Blumenthal should have no problem winning.

GarandFan on May 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Sorry but I question whether we will be any better off with Mrs. McMahon

It’s better, but not by much.

JetBoy on May 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM

To demorats, lying is a feature not a bug.

VegasRick on May 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM

How about Republicans get ready to celebrate the taking of this seat by using the Queens song—-Another One Bites The Dust

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Well, there are lots of lying cheats in America. I suppose they need representation too…but, it seems like they already have plenty of representation. Do they need Blumenthal too?

RBMN on May 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM

If Blumenthal wins, will the Dems add insult to injury by putting him on the Veteran’s Affairs or Armed Services Committee? I think yes.

Mark1971 on May 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM

…the Attorney General who got exposed as a fabulist about his service during the Vietnam War era.

It’s amazing how many Democratic senators and would-be senators have fantasies about Vietnam seared, SEARED!, into their minds.

irishspy on May 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Blumenthal proves being a confirmed liar is a prerequisite for being a demonrat. I am amazed he didn’t put himself in for the Silver Star while he was “in” Nam.

volsense on May 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM

“Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. …”

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Right on Cindy—-No Negative Waves

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Scene: Pirates of the Caribbean, swordfight in blacksmith’s shop after introducing Jack Sparrow. Sparrow has just “cheated” and blown ashes in Will Turner’s face:

Sparrow- “Pirate.” “Democrat.”

rogerb on May 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Scumbag. If the GOP had one person who knew how to take advantage of this simply by highlighting Bloomer’s lies, something might come of it.

I have real disgust and near-hate for people like Blumenthal.

Bishop on May 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

If he misspoke and got away with it, could I mischeat on my wife and expect the same treatment?

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM

volsense on May 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM

As far as I know, we still don’t know who authorized John Kerry’s first Purple Heart bandaid medal (one of the crucial three needed to go home early.) It wasn’t anybody in command of the Swift Boats.

RBMN on May 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM

CT voters, you can send Blumenthal a taste of Vietnam this fall — give him ‘sigh, gone’.

Would a Republican candidate stand any sort of chance, in any state, after a scandal of this nature? I’d sure like to think not.

GnuBreed on May 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Hmmm… someone said that if you’re in the military during a period where there is an overseas war then you can qualify for being part of the VFW… is that true?

ninjapirate on May 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM

The only thing that will confirm Blumenthal’s election is a good sex scandal. Preferably with a young boy AND a dead girl. Democrats loves them their politicians who have absolutely no decency. Assures election every time…

iconoclast on May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Y’know, I had sex with Cindy Crawford once…and Christie Brinkley too.

I had them on the same night. Plus they came back for more.

JammieWearingFool on May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Blumenthal’s Democrat Tour of Duty!!

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I will try to be righteous and hopeful.

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I had them on the same night. Plus they came back for more.

JammieWearingFool on May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM

They each paid me $1,000 after I did them.

*topper

VegasRick on May 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM

The Ends justify the Means!!

Welcome to the DNC!!

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Sure thing he won`t back down! He`s lied before and he`ll be damned if he`s going to stop now! :)

ThePrez on May 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM

If you are a Republican I think you know the answer to that. Your only hope would be to be a RINO, then maybe.

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 12:08 PM

They each paid me $1,000 after I did them.

*topper

VegasRick on May 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM

That’s nothing. They let me stay during.

rogerb on May 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM

“Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. …”

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Right on Cindy—-No Negative Waves

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Rovin:Ya,but,heres how Liberals conduct business!!
========================================================

Kelly’s Heroes – Oddball Needs a Bridge

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I had them on the same night. Plus they came back for more.

JammieWearingFool on May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM

They couldn’t find it the first time, huh?

*hides*

JetBoy on May 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM

That’s nothing. They let me stay during.

rogerb on May 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Okay, okay I was exaggerating.

*it was only $500 each.

*t

VegasRick on May 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I am going to go out and find that movie today.

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM

With the way blumenthal seems to have a problem with the truth, wife might want to check to see if he is ‘really working late at the office’!
L

letget on May 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Y’know, I had sex with Cindy Crawford once…and Christie Brinkley too.
I had them on the same night. Plus they came back for more.

JammieWearingFool on May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I had no idea that Crawford and Brinkley were in Nam.

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

If Blumenthal had served IN Viet-Nam he would have received the Vietnamese Service Medal and the Vietnamese Campaign Servise Medal and if had been IN combat he would have received the Combat Action Ribbon.

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM

In other words, Democrats in Connecticut are more than willing to elect a bald-faced liar to the Senate, a man who by lying that he served in Viet Nam insults veterans all over this country, especially those who did indeed serve in Viet Nam during the war!

Shameless bastards! Every single one of them!

Totally…….shameless……bastards!

pilamaye on May 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I have a black belt in KARATE! My hands and feet are also registered with the FBI as lethal weapons!!!!

Fishoutofwater on May 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM

With any luck Blumenthal’s new Tom Petty theme song will be Free Falling

Republican Yogi on May 22, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I’m Dick Blumenthal reporting for doody. Oh wait, it’s coming out of my mouth…

JammieWearingFool on May 22, 2010 at 12:22 PM

People,people,

come on now,Nancy Pelosi was in combat too!!!
==============================================

PELOSI – “I WAS FIGHTING A WAR IN IRAQ”

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I had no idea that Crawford and Brinkley were in Nam.

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I did them in theater. I think it was the old Loew’s Paradise on the Grand Concourse. Yeah, that’s it.

JammieWearingFool on May 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I had no idea that Crawford and Brinkley were in Nam.

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Rovin: Its true,they had matching NVA AA/Guns,but for some
inexplicable reason,I have misplaced the pictures!

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Bloomer couldn’t be given those medals because he wasn’t officially in Vietname. He was assigned to a special covert team of Ninja Commando Assassins based out of Vin Din, or Phuk Yoo, or Ding Hao, or something like that. Top secret anyway so back off.

Bishop on May 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM

PELOSI – “I WAS FIGHTING A WAR IN IRAQ”

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Equally as important as her “I WAS FIGHTING A WAR IN IRAQ”
was her prior statement “THEY MISLEAD US ALL THE TIME” referring to the CIA briefing. How they get away with it is beyond me.

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I believe to this day that my treatment of Jane Fonda led to her going Section 8 about the war.

I’m so sorry Jane.

IlikedAUH2O on May 22, 2010 at 12:41 PM

What do you expect from a party that has Tim Geithner in charge of the IRS, Charlie Rangel chairing the Ways and Means committee, and Barney Frank chairing the House Banking committee? Shamelessness is their stock in trade.

Ted Torgerson on May 22, 2010 at 12:41 PM

But has he paid his taxes? If so, he is not qualified.

txag92 on May 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM

O/T:

Obama at West Point today:

“We will promote these values above all by living them — through our fidelity to the rule of law and our Constitution, even when it’s hard; and through our commitment to forever pursue a more perfect union,” he said.

Right Barry, except when you and your cronies choose to ignore the rule of law—-(see Arizona law)

TOTUS must be lying again!

Rovin on May 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM

No surprise here – we all know that the DNC and liberals in general worship and revere any and all liars. It’s in their DNA.

GGMac on May 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM

fourdeacer:Yup,the Lying Liberal NeverEnding Story!:)

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Equally as important as her “I WAS FIGHTING A WAR IN IRAQ”

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM

And don’t forget Hillary and how she dodged all that sniper fire. Kerry’s Christmas in Cambodia. Sheesh, these democrats of late are really living some imaginary lives.

JetBoy on May 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Bishop on May 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

By all accounts, it was McMahon’s operation that blew this open, so I gotta hunch she’s going to use it as a chair to break over Blumenthal’s back.

JeffWeimer on May 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM

To Katy the mean old lady, at 11:31 -

Perfection.
Threadwinner!

GGMac on May 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I wish I owned a TV or radio station here in CT because both sides are going to dump a TON of money hammering each other. The last one to deliver a blow may well end up the winner. Either way I think CT is the loser and we’ll have only ourselves to blame. Democracy, it’s a b!tch.

jnelchef on May 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Speaking of straddling Big Guns
============================================

Cher – If I Could Turn Back Time [Official Music Video] [HQ]

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I missed his acceptance speech. Did he salute and announce he was “reporting for duty?”

Stephen Macklin on May 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM

JetBoy on May 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM

JetBoy: Yup!!:)
====================================================
Hillary WASN’T LYING! Bosnia gunfire footage discovered…

canopfor on May 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM

JetBoy on May 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I actually had forgotten those rhetorical flourishes, they all deserve a BRACELET.

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 1:01 PM

ninjapirate on May 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM

No, not necessarily. Here’s the list of awards the VFW uses:

Now, you don’t have to be in combat, just in the theater, and not even during the period of hostilities. Case in point: me. I qualified originally for VFW membership due to the Southwest Asia Service Medal, although I was in San Diego for the entirety of Desert Shield and Storm. SWASM was awarded for service between 2 August 1990 and 30 November 1995, and I was in the area in 1992. I also now also qualify due to the GWOT-Expeditionary Medal, having gone to the very same spot (Persian Gulf) I received the SWASM in 2006.

But Blumenthal would not have received anything more than the National Defense Service Medal – and it is pointedly absent from the VFW list, as it was given to anyone who served, anywhere during designated periods.

JeffWeimer on May 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Y’know, I had sex with Cindy Crawford once…and Christie Brinkley too.
I had them on the same night. Plus they came back for more.

JammieWearingFool on May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM

yeah but, will they stand behind you at your press conference…..

ted c on May 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM

JeffWeimer on May 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I agree. If, and only if, he was on AD or in the reserves during the period during Vietnam, and stayed in CONUS, then an NDSM is all that he would qualify for.

ted c on May 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

an NDSM is all that he would qualify for.

ted c on May 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

claiming anything more than that qualifies him for a horrendous a$$ whooping.

ted c on May 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM

These Dems are amazing and so are the depths of stupidity of their voters. They show us everday the contempt they hold for this country and its citizens and yet they still have faithfull voters. How does one live in the best country the world has ever seen and HATE IT?

bluemarlin on May 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

ted c on May 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

We got our NDSM right out of basic in San Diego (or as the Marines of Paris Island called it Hollywood) and along with our rifle qualifying badge that was it. If he didn’t even get the Marksman, Sharpshooter or Expert badge how did he ever make E-5?

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM

What’s more reprehensible than Blumenthal lying?

His arrogant, obfuscating, non-apology apology for it.

petefrt on May 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

World Wrestling is real compared to Blumenthal’s military service.

rob verdi on May 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

1 down 9 to go.

Archimedes on May 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I hope you’re right, but I don’t know. Most Democrats seem to have a barely concealed contempt for military people. I think a lot of Conn. Dems will see Blumenthal’s fakery as no big deal and some will even applaud it. I mean, what better way to demonstrate one’s contempt for the military than to enthusiastically support a faux-vet. Military service and honor are completely meaningless to these people.

WarEagle01 on May 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Liar? check
Corrupt? check
Phony? check
Displays arrogant self-righteousness when caught lying? Check

I can see November from my backyard!

skanter on May 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM

This is one of the most antibusiness candidates in the US. He has chased a lot of jobs and businesses out of Connecticut. And the voters thought that was great! He had a 20 point lead in the polls. Why are we going to follow in the footsteps of Greece? Because of the voters – their ignorance, indifference, greed (“gimme”) and just plain stupidity.

chris999 on May 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM

fourdeucer on May 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Knee pads.

I would love to meet this SOB face to face.

Old Hippie Vet on May 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Translated: “Lying about military service is perfectly acceptable-but only if you are a Democrat.”

Orwell was right.

Del Dolemonte on May 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Fitting choice of music. As Petty said in a 2006 interview:

“The war in Iraq is shameful. Whether you’re pro or con Bush, you’ve got to admit it: The guy lied. And he continues to do so. I can’t understand why he’s just not run out on a rail. To send somebody’s kids off and have them killed for no good reason — he’s going to have his day in hell for that. I wouldn’t want that karma.” As for the United States making new enemies, Petty opines: “When you kill somebody’s little sister with a missile, he’s going to hate you forever. And the next generation will hate you even more.”

Del Dolemonte on May 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Amazing how all a liberal has to do to be rewarded by the Democratic Party is to screw up big time. And more amazing still that the Democratic Party, and die-hard Liberals and Progressives, seem to have totally divorced themselves from any moral and/or ethical trappings in their political dealings.

All one can hope for is that by the November Midterm Elections enough voters will have recognized just how corrupt the Democratic Party has become, and bury the party and give sitting incumbents the heave-ho. And keep them there for at least a generation while we undo the damage they’ve done to America.

KendraWilder on May 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM

LOL!

exdeadhead on May 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Lying, especially about military service, is a resume enhancement for Democrats just look at Tom Harkin. Democrats only care about one thing and that’s winning the election. They must feel they have a better shot at winning with a liar than they do with someone else.

I say the reason they believe this is because they never have to make the press calculation. Republicans know that, if something like this came out, the press would be merciless and the number of front page stories would never end, think “macaca”. As you think of “macaca” think that the Washington Post isn’t putting out negative stories about Blumenthal, sort of says it all, doesn’t it?

Well, Democrats in Connecticut have shown they can do the right thing, like when they elected Leiberman instead of the Move-on supported candidate. It’s always possible they could do it again, but I’m not counting on it.

bflat879 on May 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Blummy’s Theme?

Ni-Ni-Ni-Ni-Ni-Nineteen

Christien on May 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Remember Joe Izuzu? …………. that’s a typical Democrat.

SC.Charlie on May 22, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Absolutely Fabulist!

DrAllecon on May 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Of course he’ll get a elected, he’s from Connecticut afterall.

jbh45 on May 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM

I want to know when the real college swim teams are going enter the fray.

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM

When HA first posted about this fabulist, the consensus was that he wouldn’t survive. I opined that not only would he survive, he’d likely win in deep, deep blue CT. Now lets’ see if the good voters of CT can prove me a prophet. Since Democrats appeared interested in nothing but power, I believe that they will do so.

Physics Geek on May 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Why is this shocking? Most Democrats don’t care if you lie,cheat or steal as long as your “progressive” enough.
What did that women say about Clinton?, “As long as he keeps abortion legal, then I don’t care if he received oral sex from an intern”
This the what we are dealing with folks.

Hummer53 on May 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Fabulistic!

Schadenfreude on May 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM

But this campaign must be about the people of Connecticut.”

Indeed, Conn. people have a Liar as an Attorney General. Imagine what he’ll be as a Senator.

His arrogance must be and will be punished.

Schadenfreude on May 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM

ninjapirate on May 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM

No. Must present proof of service in an overseas theatre. Stateside service doesn’t count.

massrighty on May 22, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I want to know when the real college swim teams are going enter the fray.

Cindy Munford on May 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Someone should hire real swim team alumni to follow him around on the campaign trail, and swift boat him.

Use absurdity against him!

massrighty on May 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Since Simmons is staying in for the GOP primary, Blumenthal will probably be exposed to sharp attacks from Simmons, who IS a REAL Vietnam veteran. EVen if Simmons eventually loses the primary, this issue won’t go away, and the Dems will be stuck with Bloomy, no time to pull a Torricelli/Lautenberg switcheroo.

Steve Z on May 22, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Steve Z on May 22, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Heard Simmons on the radio the other day; he sounds like the real deal.
If I were him, I’d start running ads now, pushing the fact that he’s provably what he says he is…

massrighty on May 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Nothing new. It takes trash to represent trash.

MNHawk on May 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Former Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Mike Boorda, was driven to suicide by the crap he had to endure at the hands of the media. That was for the unspeakable crime of wearing a ribbon for which he could not produce a citation authorizing its wear.

Blumenthal on the other hand, lies about combat service and he along with the media suckups, treat it as a simple slip of the tongue. What dicks! and What balls!

Mr. Grump on May 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM