Video: Former DNC member says Blumenthal lies “unconscionable”

posted at 12:55 pm on May 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Kudos to CNN’s Rick Sanchez and his guests, including former DNC member Robert Zimmerman, for not attempting to perpetuate Richard Blumenthal’s spin. Zimmerman calls out the Connecticut Democrat for “unconscionable” lies, both about his military service and about his attempt to pass off the controversy as an attack on his military service. Does this signal that Blumenthal won’t survive the scandal? Hmmmm:

Jim Geraghty has the transcript:

RICK SANCHEZ: What do you do with a guy like this? Because it’s kind of looking embarrassing.

ROBERT ZIMMERMAN: Well, it’s more than embarrassing – it’s unconscionable for the Attorney General of Connecticut not to have set the record straight with all the misstatements about his military service in the past. It’s unconscionable for him to repeat those statements – false statements about his military service, and I think very frankly the Democrats of Connecticut have got to make it clear to him that he has to apologize, and I’m not following – by the way, I’m differentiating myself from many of the Democratic pundits who are following the party talking points. He did not vindicate himself at that press conference.

I think we’ll need more than one polling cycle to determine whether Blumenthal survives the scandal, but it’s not a good sign when strategists from your own party call your conduct “unconscionable” on national TV. Democrats don’t have a lot of time to make a decision on whether he stays or goes, and one could see this kind of national criticism as a message from the Democratic establishment to get out. If Blumenthal intended to leave on his own volition, however, he would have probably done so this week. As this kind of blowback continues, Blumenthal’s numbers will continue to sink.

What happens next? If the party establishment has decided to push Blumenthal out of the race, they’ll have to do it soon. May 25th is the deadline for endorsing candidates for office in Connecticut, which means they’d need to launch a replacement campaign within the next couple of days. If not, and if Blumenthal refuses to leave, Democrats may be stuck with an albatross in the Senate race regardless of which Republican wins the nomination.

Update: This probably won’t help Blumenthal convince Democrats to leave him in the race:

Broader newspaper archival searches continue to turn up instances in which Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut portrayed himself as a Vietnam War veteran even though he did not serve in the war.

The most recent article unearthed is one published in The Milford Mirror, a weekly, describing an appearance he made at a May 2007 Memorial DayParade in Milford, Conn., attended by local officials, military people and the relatives of a local man killed while serving in Iraq.

As people gathered around a bandstand to give praise to fallen veterans, the article said, Mr. Blumenthal recalled his days during the Vietnam War.

“In Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said, according to the article, “we had to endure taunts and insults, and no one said, ‘Welcome home.’ I say welcome home.”

Had Blumenthal just apologized, this would not be news.

Comments

IMHO you guys (HA) should start bumping more important stuff to the top. It seems to me (just an opinion obviously) the bank scandal now two items down is more important than either of the things above it.

WitchDoctor on May 21, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Dodd for Senate!

huckleberryfriend on May 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

How could they NOT condemn this guy? To even try to spin this would be completely past logical reason.

portlandon on May 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Did anybody else hear Blumenthal landed on the 2nd wave at D-Day??

tetriskid on May 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Seems to me it would be far more honorable to understate your military record rather than embellish it with lies.

fourdeucer on May 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Blumenthal learned over the years that if you show absolutely no shame for your actions and maintain the proper liberal political positions, there’s at least a 50-50 chance you can tough any scandal out, depending on how important both the party and the big media see your continued survival in the big scheme of things.

The Connecticut AG is betting he’s more important to them right now than, say, David Patterson next door in New York, where the Dems see Andrew Cuomo both holding the governorship and giving Gillibrand a better chance to hold her Senate seat. And unless Connecticut Democrats already have someone they think can win the Senate seat in Blumenthal’s place, he might be right, at least up until the general election, despite what a few CNN talking heads nervous about their party’s Senate majority in 2011 say

jon1979 on May 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I think Dodd wants back in.

jukin on May 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM

If bowing out of politics was an acceptable end for Wes Cooley after his lies, its definitely acceptable for Blumenthal.

Ryan Anthony on May 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Blumenthal has less media skills than Rand Paul.

And of course, Rand Paul is speaking the truth and just not savy enough to realize the truth won’t set you free when it comes to a dishonest media.

Blumenthal was caught in a series of lies, and rather than apologize for being a human prone to exaggeration, is doubling down on his conceit and blaming those calling him on it.

Mr. Joe on May 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Come on Ed, you’re better than this: “Had Blumenthal just apologized, this would not be news.”

Sure it would still be news. The guy partially built a political career off of lying about his military record. What makes that much more worse is he lied while seeking office as the CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER in the state of Connecticut. That’s wrong regardless of whether he got caught later and decided to apologize.

taney71 on May 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM

There appears to be no movement here to push him out by the Democrats. He will be endorsed at tonight’s convention with his opponent Merrick Alpert not even allowed to speak to the delegates. At that point, unless a live boy or a dead girl shows up and soon, he’s going to be their nominee in November. It’s then up to us to see he loses and is sent off to retirement. Preferably by a real Vietnam veteran, Rob Simmons.

jnelchef on May 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Had Blumenthal just apologized, this would not be news.

Only because he’s a Democrat. Apologies – sincere or not – are all that are required when someone on the Left transgresses.

Were he a Republican, he would be required to open his veins on the statehouse steps.

Russ on May 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM

But don’t you see….Sayhing I was “in” Vietnam sounds so much more impressive than “I coordinated toys for tots”

Not that there is anything wrong with toys for tots..except back in the day it was to collect/repair/paint/spruce up toys, not just take new ones!

Larr
USN-RET

Larr on May 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM

WitchDoctor on May 21, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Repeated for importance…

doriangrey on May 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM

To the democrats apologetic emotional feelings are more meritorious than meritotrious actions.

fourdeucer on May 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I have to admit, the most offensive thing I know about Blumenthal is that he’s a member of the Democrat Party.

Being a worthless liar is just part of the game.

Why anyone with a brain or morals even slightly considers voting for a Democrat, is the real mystery.

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I’m redoing my resume and putting down Apollo Astronaut under past employment history.

redshirt on May 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Speaking of unconscionable lies, the unapologetic Marxist party has quite a few to address.

Rep. Clyburn: Rand Paul is not good for this country

Speakup on May 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Blumenthal should be forgiven, his Vietnam service was actually with the French Foreign Legion at Dien Bien Phu. Painful memories for the man, let him be.

Bishop on May 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I am waiting for the irate swim team members to chime in before I declare his candidacy dead.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM

“I remember when I served with General Washington and the Confederates shot at us as we invaded Normandy” . . .

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

“For the sake of the country, I have decided not to retire…

… there are still sources of wealth I haven’t gotten my hands on and fu%ed up!” – Chris Dodd

Seven Percent Solution on May 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I still think that the best thing Blumenthal could do at this point is to call a press conference and announce that sometime after the late sixties he was abducted by aliens and they planted all sorts of false memories in his brain and ever since then, thrugh no fault of his own, he has not been able to tell the false memories from the real ones. Who would be able to after all? He could even call Dennis Kucinich as a character witness.

MB4 on May 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

In other news, Robert Zimmerman is the perfect name for someone commenting on issues related to the Vietnam War.

calbear on May 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Blumenthal got hit with this at a particularly bad time, as the nominating conventions for both parties are THIS WEEKEND. Of course, had this come out NEXT week, he would have been the Dem nominee under withering criticism for over 5 months until the election. If another candidate gets 15% of the delegates of the convention, he can force a primary election.

Connecticut is a blue state, and usually votes for Democrats, although it has had Republican governors (Rowland, Rell) for 4 straight terms. But the registered voters are about 33% Democrats, 22% Republicans, and 45% Independents, and Democrat leaders at the Convention might be worried that if a large enough fraction (65%) of the Indies are disgusted with Blumenthal’s lies, he could lose the Senate seat for the party.

There are a lot of pacifists in Connecticut who hate the military, and would be willing to forgive Blumenthal, or even applaud him, so he might be able to survive such a scandal.

Democrat convention delegates don’t have much time to decide whether to keep or dump Blumenthal, but they could try to gain time: if 15% or more of them bolt and support another candidate, they could hold a primary and let Democrat voters decide whether Blumenthal stays or goes, which would give some idea of Blumenthal’s relative strength or weakness among the electorate.

Republican convention delegates also have an interesting decision–do they support Linda McMahon, who is leading polls among Republicans, or Rob Simmons, an honest veteran and former Congressman who could better exploit Blumenthal’s weakness?

Steve Z on May 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Blumenthal can now no longer testify in court on the state’s behalf, as he has no credibility. DAs keep lists of officers of the state that they cannot use as witnesses.

So he is useless in his current role. Of course if he were somehow elected Senator, his lying would be viewed as an asset by liberals.

GnuBreed on May 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Did it take you long to flush them confederates out of their firing positions in the Alamo?

MB4 on May 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

So he is useless in his current role.

And that would prevent him from being elected and serving as a Democrat how?

We have a Congress filled up to the dome with useless Democrats, doesn’t seem to be a problem with Pelosi, et al.

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

MB4 on May 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

We found Charlie hiding in a t-shirt shop on the Riverwalk and turned him over to General McAurther hisself!”

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

moral high-ground to these people is a low point for the rest of us.

Osis on May 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I must be living in Los Angeles. How bloody hard can this be, folks? Have him produce his DD214!!! God Almighty! All people who did any service have one. I also have my entire 201 file containing a copy of every order ever cut on me. I have my discharges. I have a DA Form 66 which details my assignments and MOS’s. I have several photos which have not been photoshopped. Please!

LarryG on May 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Blumenthal claims he was swimming and towing George Washington and company across the Delaware River at Valley Forge.

dthorny on May 21, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Blumenthal served in Vietnam?

Where? Dun Ben Rong?

dthorny on May 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

portlandon on May 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Democrats are not logical.

After all, they were the Party who trashed the Vietnam War for decades, yet when they thought it would help them regain power they ran a guy for President who claimed to have been a “hero” in the war he and them all hated.

Del Dolemonte on May 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I wonder what that fat head Cavuto was thinking .

borntoraisehogs on May 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Zimmerman calls out the Connecticut Democrat for “unconscionable” lies

Well, it is a start. There is a forest of unconscionable lies.

One tree at a time.

percysunshine on May 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Have him produce his DD214!!!

Democrats have that squirreled away along with Barry’s Law School transcripts.

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I just wet my pants in amazement hearing a leftie use the “L” word about a dem.

madmonkphotog on May 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

How did Joe Biden get in here?

tom on May 21, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Where was it, Ed…New Jersey? The state Supreme Court stepped in and allowed the Dems to select a new nominee well after the law said it was possible. There is no deadline when Democrats are involved. Their judges just negate existing law and write their own. I just remembered…Florida too. It took the US Supreme Court to finally shut down their lawless activities.

Extrafishy on May 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM

The really sad thing about this whole mess is that Bloomenthals Repub opponet is not much better. She was a Demorat just a few years ago and is more liberal than Scott Brown.

inspectorudy on May 21, 2010 at 3:09 PM

How did Joe Biden get in here?

tom on May 21, 2010 at 2:44 PM

What else do I have to do?

I mean really . . . I’m bored.

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Sorry my memory is a little unclear after I took that bazooka round in my head at the Little Big Horn.

Johnnyreb on May 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM

“I remember when I fought Darth Vader at the OK Corral when suddenly, my Lugar jammed.”

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 3:58 PM

redshirt on May 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Don’t forget you were the 5th Beatle!

DSchoen on May 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM

“When I helped erect this sacred memorial in 1934, two decades after my wounded Dough Boy buddies and I returned from ‘The War to End All Wars’, THE World War, and recuperated here in the dry, warm Mojave desert….”….Hey BLUMENTHAL, GIVE IT A REST!!!

opaobie on May 21, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Hillery being shot at at an airport.
Bill, “I did not have sex with that woman”
Dodd – I had no idea that I got a sweetheart deal on my house
Frank – Sure run a prostitution ring from my house, or fannie and Freddy are solvent.
Rangel – Forgot that I had a house in the Bahamas and income from it.
President Obama – won’t raise your taxes
Timmy Gittner – Tax, what tax?

How do you know when someone is telling you a lie? They put a (D) after their name.

Highplains on May 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM