Mayor Daley offers his argument for gun control; Update: Video added

posted at 10:55 am on May 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Today must be Irony Day in the Western Hemisphere.  First we have Cuba calling immigration enforcement “brutal,” and now we have gun-control politicians demonstrating why the founders passed the Second Amendment in the first place.  When challenged by a reporter to explain how gun control makes the city safer when it only disarms the law-abiding, Mayor Richard Daley responded by offering to demonstrate by shooting him:

But even supporters of tough gun regulations—myself included—have to admit that it’s not clear how much they reduce violence. Despite having some of the most restrictive laws in the country, Chicago is a national leader in shootings and murders, and the mayor himself noted that “we’ve seen far too many instances in the last few weeks” of firearm violence, including the shooting that left a cop dead last night.

So I asked: since guns are readily available in Chicago even with a ban in place, do you really think it’s been effective?

I’m hardly the only guy who asks the mayor things he doesn’t want to answer, and I’ve been responsible for at least one of his huffing, puffing, ranting tangents, which generally get the press corps laughing, thus enabling him to move on to the next question without giving a real answer to the one at hand.

But even by those standards, this was a masterful and surreal performance.

“Oh!” Daley said. “It’s been very effective!”

He grabbed a rifle, held it up, and looked right at me. He was chuckling but there was no smile.

“If I put this up your—ha!—your butt—ha ha!—you’ll find out how effective this is!”

For a moment the room was very, very quiet. I took a good look at the weapon. It had a long bayonet. (Was it seized during the Civil War?)

“If I put a round up your—ha ha!”

The photographers snapped away. Suddenly everybody started cracking up.

Daley went on. “This gun saved many lives—it could save your life,” he said—meaning, I think, that getting that gun off the street might have saved many lives, including mine.

Sure — and it put the gun into the hands of petty tyrants, who then used it to joke about killing people who ask tough questions. If Daley wanted to demonstrate the wisdom of the Second Amendment, he couldn’t have designed a better demonstration.

The Second Amendment exists for two reasons.  First, the founders knew that law enforcement couldn’t defend everyone against attack — unless they created a police state that would eliminate liberty forever.  They encouraged people to arm themselves, an important move in frontier areas especially, where the writ of law didn’t run very strongly.  The police are very good at investigating crimes after they occur, but not in providing personal defense, which isn’t their job.

Secondly, arming the populace makes it much more difficult for those in power to seize property and liberty without due process of law.  As Daley aptly demonstrated, when only the government and the criminals have guns, they both can dictate at will without fear of opposition.  When a reporter asks a tough question, just wield a gun at him and then later laugh it off as a joke.

The people of Chicago need new political leadership, a story about as breaking as the Chicago Fire.  But this should demonstrate the end result of the forced disarming of the American public: an out-of-control arrogance of the government.

Update: John Kass at the Chicago Tribune has the video of the encounter:

We should note that Daley never pointed the weapon at anyone, but that hardly negates the stupidity of this incident.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

F*CK YOU DALY!

Flyboy on May 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I wouldn’t even want to do him once.

Aviator on May 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

That’s rich coming from Daley, a man who has had armed police bodyguards for his entire life (from one of the most corrupt PDs in the world).

rokemronnie on May 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Semi off topic, but Comcast had a story on the 25 most corrupt states in the country, and Illinois didn’t make the cut.
reaganaut on May 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Seriously, that’s the story? That half of America is evil?

But you have to give them some credit. Even if they did point their finger in precisely the wrong direction, they’re still 50% more pro-American than most liberal media outlets.

logis on May 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

You really have to wonder what they hell people are thinking when they vote for unadulterated idiot scum like Daley.

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Dead people don’t think.

Aviator on May 21, 2010 at 2:07 PM

A few others have mentioned it, but I thought this was the worst of Daley’s recent comments about the gun ban:

(referring the the Supreme Court Justices who will be ruling on the matter)

DALEY: They’ll see – maybe they will see the light of day. Maybe one of them will have an incident and they’ll change their mind over night – you know, going to and from work.

“Gee, Justice Thomas. I’d suuuure hate for you to get shot on the way to work. Boy that’d be a shame, wouldn’t it?”

Daley really deserves to be censured (at minimum) for that reckless and incendiary remark.

orange on May 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Daley: Nice Supreme Court you got there, Chief Justice Roberts. Be a shame if something happened to it.

Extrafishy on May 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM

This was a conference call with the White House ? Right ??

J_Crater on May 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I guess I am lawless. But at least I have more common sense then this dipstick does.

upinak on May 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM

To me, any gun taken off saves thousands of lives in America. I really believe that, I don’t care what people tell me.

So if we take away everyone’s guns, it will save a million bazillion lives. Wow! No wonder he doesn’t care what people tell him. He’s a friggin’ genius.

RadClown on May 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM

orange on May 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM

He’s a Chicago Democrat, he could torture and dismember a puppy in front of the Wrigley Building and get re-elected.

He’s stolen more money than Al Capone but he spreads it around.

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM

“Ha ha, I could have shot you, ha ha…”

Daly’s a cheerful clinger.

Akzed on May 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Chicago has been a ONE PARTY town for decades. ONE PARTY! completely corrupt! The Newspapers are bought and paid for by the controlling party as evidenced by what they will and will not publish. The city is so corrupt, and the majority of the population is so corrupt, that you might as well sink the entire cesspool into Lake Michigan

willardcsmith on May 21, 2010 at 4:03 PM

willardcsmith on May 21, 2010 at 4:03 PM

There is a lot of corruption in Chicago, thanks to the Daleys.

But it’s not fair to say that the Chicago Tribune is bought and paid for by the Democratic Party. They have a long history of endorsing Republicans for the Presidency. They endorsed Bush in both 2000 and 2004, for instance.

orange on May 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Daley seems to think because he has a puppet in the White House that someone outside the city limits of Chicago really cares about one word he says.

volsense on May 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM

so no matter what the evidence shows, he BELIEVES.

Fighton03 on May 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Daley would rather that our wives, daughters, mothers and sisters leave work at 11pm and walk to their car in a dimly lighted parking lot, WITHOUT THE CHOICE of having a handgun ready to dispatch a rapist/murderer. So much for real pro-choice convictions.

I own handguns for only one reason and it’s not hunting or target shooting.

TugboatPhil on May 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Moron…

therightwinger on May 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM

orange on May 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Have you read the Tribune at all during the last decade? The endorsements are nothing more than window dressing for a completely leftist hack paper.
I still get it delivered for the comics, advertisements, coupons, and to wrap fish.

cjk on May 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM

If he pulled that shit with me they’d be looking for a new mayor right about now.

Don Carne on May 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Don Carne on May 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM

For the good of the people of IL, can I ask you to visit Chicago?

Chaz706 on May 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You know, this story has really been a head-scratcher for me today. Basically, the talk on here all day long has been about gun control and outlawing, etc, all you would expect from 2nd amendment discussions.

Finally (!), in the past hour the Daily Caller posted what I think is the far more interesting angle to this story: Mayor Daley threatened to shove the gun up the reporter’s butt. Even Ed gets it wrong as to how Daley would show the gun’s effectiveness when Ed writes Daley “[offered] to demonstrate by shooting [the reporter].” No, he didn’t. As the Daily Caller finally suggests in the headline and I wrote way back this morning at 10 am or so, he threatened to sodomize him.

Look, we can talk about liberals wanting to take our guns away all day long; it’s a story that we’ve done a million times. But that’s NOT what this story is about; read it again. Daley said, to show the reporter how effective the gun was, rather than shoot the reporter (IMHO how a gun is most effectively used), he would sodomize a reporter with it. That’s a COMPLETELY different angle and one we should be talking about instead.

LastRick on May 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM

What a nut. Heck the gun probably does not even work. It was sold broken ( I bet ) to the city so someone could by crack.

CWforFreedom on May 21, 2010 at 7:06 PM

They can ban assault rifles, but don’t mess with my battle rifles.

gooddad on May 21, 2010 at 7:09 PM

So if gun bans are so effective why is it people keep dying of lead poisoning in Bermuda, and Mexico?
They must be eating that lead based paint again.

LincolntheHun on May 21, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Wow, the guy has the mannerisms of an actual nazi. Hopefully the terrorists encouraged by Obama nuke Chicago first.

ray on May 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM

he threatened to sodomize him.
LastRick on May 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Indeed, he demonstrated that since he has taken every citizen’s gun he can enter their house and sodomize them at will and there is nothing anyone in Chicago will do about it. He is a very sick and dangerous person and should be behind bars.

ray on May 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

He is a very sick and dangerous person and should be behind bars.

ray on May 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Yep; what he’s offering should not be taken lightly. The reporter who was threatened didn’t miss the point that was largely missed here; he writes on Huffington Post:

[Daley] lost his cool yesterday and offered to sodomize and shoot me.

Notice which one the reporter writes first. It’s the one that should disturb most of us, especially those left-leaning among us, the most as well.

LastRick on May 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM

THE FIRST AMENDMENT IS THE MOUTH~
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS THE TEETH

profitsbeard on May 21, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Hey mayor, with a little ‘m’, I’ll show you you how tough you as soon as you get rid of the body guards and the gun. Mono-a-mono, you’re a turd that should have been flushed long ago.

belad on May 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I wish I’d been there. I wouldn’t have laughed. And I wouldn’t have suffered any awkward silence. These people need to be verbally confronted.

rrpjr on May 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Except I’d pop you a new a$$h0le right in the forehead dipstick because I pack my protection. Like my AMEX card, I never leave without Glock or trojans.

VikingGoneWild on May 21, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I lived in Chi for 10 years, that’s all I could take. It was fun before the realities of adult life kicked in.

visions on May 21, 2010 at 11:40 PM

SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed.
(Source: Illinois Constitution.)

All I will say is that a growing number of people disregard the Illinois Constitution in favor of the United States Constitution, and Daley should consider that before he threatens someone else with rape and assault with a deadly weapon.

MadisonConservative on May 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Daley looks and acts more like his THUGDADDY everyday.

Please tell me there isn’t yet another Daley waiting to rule in ChiTown!!!

PappyD61 on May 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Even a rose bush has a right to have thorns.

kurtzz3 on May 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM
That’s true. Bret Michaels codified this inalienable right in 1988.

Shock the Monkey on May 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Sometimes I get so frustrated and want to quit the internets for good. Then someone will make a goofy comment like this, and I’m back on board full speed.

di butler on May 22, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I wonder if the good people of Chicago have had enough of the Daley machine after all these years. When I lived in the area his old man was mayor and that was in the 60′s.

Necromancer on May 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM

We need a RICA statute – Racketeering-Influenced Corrupt Administration.

And that whackjob Daley needs a padded cell. I think most people should have access to weapons for their defense, but not him!

Merovign on May 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I would never let my kids handle firearms when I was not present. Where was Daley’s adult supervision?

nraendowment on May 23, 2010 at 1:01 AM

The founders saw no way to devise a government that could not foster tyranny from within. They therefore gave the people, a free press, and the second amendment. It was all they said was possible. The people must stand ever vigilant.

And then they wrote this in the Declaration of Independence: “That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”

I note that it talks about securing the people’s rights, not redistribution, not Marxism, not socialism, or Communism.

The people are sovereign in the USA, not the government, and the people are governed with the consent of the governed. It would be wise that they remember that.

When they come for the guns, you know it will be time.

tarpon on May 23, 2010 at 11:25 AM

They can ban assault rifles, but don’t mess with my battle rifles.

gooddad on May 21, 2010 at 7:09 PM

You’re kidding right? You are either for banning guns or you’re not.

Buck Turgidson on May 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Not bought and paid for? You must have a memory as short as Dorey the Fish. Recall during Obama’s Senatorial campaign, The CT somehow got and published sealed court documents on his opponent in order to force him out, but when similiarly damning material came out on Obama’s connection to slum lord property not a word.

I repeat, “Bought and Paid For!” The sooner it goes under the better!

willardcsmith on May 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM

This guy is nothing more than a punk. Take away the body guards and you got nothing. He’s just like the rest of us, he has to put his pants on one leg at a time and they don’t jump and run to him when he calls in the morning. Actually he is closer to a buffoon than anything else.

belad on May 24, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Just like Daddy. Only gangsters can have guns to maintain control of Chi town. Oh yea the police can have guns but we cannot afford the ammunition with the States budget.

MSGTAS on May 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM

ray on May 21, 2010

Not likely they would nuke the home of the first Muslim president.
Not that I would miss Chicago, but the fallout would rain down on Indiana and they don’t deserve that.

Extrafishy on May 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM