Arizona governor to Obama: Do your job, chump

posted at 4:49 pm on May 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

The perfect follow-up to last night’s post about the chief of ICE deciding that Arizona’s too icky for the feds to process the illegals they catch. Between her new website and high-profile hits like this on FNC, Brewer’s obviously milking the uproar for all it’s worth — and doing a damned fine job of it too:

After championing her state’s new immigration law in the face of criticism from President Obama and others, incumbent Arizona Governor Jan Brewer for the first time now attracts more than 50% support in her bid for reelection against likely Democratic candidate Terry Goddard.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in Arizona shows Brewer with 52% of the vote and Goddard, who opposes the immigration law, with 39%. Seven percent (7%) prefer another candidate, while just three percent (3%) are undecided…

Brewer now claims 45% of the vote in the state’s Republican Primary field. That’s a 19-point gain from a month ago and puts her well ahead of all her challengers.

After yesterday’s congressional standing O for Calderon, she’ll probably hit 55 percent in the next poll. The law’s helping a bunch of other Republicans, too: As the Times hints, it’s a perfect foil for both moderates and conservatives. Worried that your reputation as an immigration hardliner will alienate Latinos? No problem. Simply profess your concerns that Arizona cops will use the law for racial profiling. (This was, of course, the line taken by many national Republicans after the law first passed.) Worried that your reputation as a softie will alienate Republican primary voters? No problem. Simply profess your intention to stand with Arizona. (Call this the McCain option.) Worried about both Latinos and Republican voters? Well, then say you’re concerned about racial profiling but feel more comfortable now that the law’s been amended to expressly forbid cops from using that. (That was Rubio’s blueprint.) Everybody wins! Except for The One and Janet Napolitano, of course, whom Brewer hammers here for having ignored — as in, total radio silence — repeated requests for help at the border. Obama’s response to the “do your job” argument is that those damned Republicans won’t vote for his immigration bill, but I’ve got a super secret plan for how he can get upwards of all 41 GOP votes in the Senate: Offer a “borders first” bill instead of something comprehensive. It’d be a major accomplishment before the midterms and would give vulnerable House Dems a boost of credibility with centrist Democrats and independents, but not in a million years will the leadership do it lest they risk losing their long-term advantage with Latinos. That’s the lesson of ObamaCare — that they’re willing to sacrifice congressional control to achieve paradigm shifts that’ll make leftism more secure in the future. They’re terrible, but they ain’t stupid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

PHOENIX (AP) – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is asking President Barack Obama to reallocate National Guard helicopters from other states to help Arizona secure its border with Mexico.

upinak on May 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Obooboo will send helicopters alright, just the black kind of helicopters, and they won’t be there to help.

Laura in Maryland on May 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM

We may have to make a few sacrifices ourselves to stop the Progressive take over. Anybody got any names that they would suggest?

d1carter on May 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Didn’t you guys tell me that they outlawed human sacrifice? I was SHOCKED!
If the situation has changed, do let me know. I kept my list.

katy the mean old lady on May 21, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I was lamenting the noticeable absence of sexist-insults directed toward a female pol from this red-meaty thread. But you already knew that.

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 6:19 PM

… so … you *wanted* to see some sexist insults, but find none, and this disappoints you?

Midas on May 21, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Brave Marco Rubio ran away
Bravely, ran away
When danger reared its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes, brave Marco Rubio turned about
And gallantly he chickened out
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat
Bravest of the brave, Marco Rubio

MB4 on May 21, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Marco Rubio: I did the safe thing. You are in great peril.
Governor Jan Brewer: I don’t think I am.
Marco Rubio: Yes, you are. You are in terrible peril.
Governor Jan Brewer: Look, let us both stand up for America and together face any peril.
Marco Rubio: No, it’s too perilous.
Governor Jan Brewer: Look, it’s our duty as American leaders to sample a little peril in the service of America.
Marco Rubio: No, we’ve got to find a way to just submit and become Mexico el Norte.
Governor Jan Brewer: Oh, can’t you join with me and let us together face just a little bit of peril for America?
Marco Rubio No. It’s unhealthy.
Governor Jan Brewer: I bet you’re gay.

MB4 on May 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Laura in Maryland on May 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Uhm, they’re not available anyways, the “Black Helos” are exclusively US 60th SOG, at least domestically. I saw them just last week in SW Missippi/SE Lousiana on a drug interdiction mission looking for local grow ops in the area.

Just an FYI.

Archimedes on May 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM

May as well offer up a tax cut, lifting the moratorium on offshore drilling, attack Iran, and invite Bibi to dinner.

As long as we’re fantasizing, go whole hog. Don’t cheat yourself.

BobMbx on May 21, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Archimedes on May 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM

ixna on the elicoptersha

BobMbx on May 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM

ixna on the elicoptersha

BobMbx on May 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Hunh?

Archimedes on May 21, 2010 at 8:59 PM

ixna on the elicoptersha

BobMbx on May 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Upon further review, I think I decipher your intent with your statement, sorry can’t comply. I know these guys from both sides of “the wire”. At age 13 I was on the “cultivation” side if you will. Joned the military, worked with this unit(abroad)and subsequently, (after ETS) was hired to run “overwatch” on import ops in the San Jaun Islands(WA). My loyalties are divided on this issue.

Sorry, just the way it is.

Archimedes on May 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM

So what Obama is saying is that foreigners need not obey the laws. Smart power.

Mojave Mark on May 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM

So what Obama is saying is that foreigners need not obey the laws. Smart power.

Mojave Mark on May 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Only middle class americans must follow the law and toe the PC line anymore.

bluemarlin on May 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM

They seem to be exhausting the means of their liberality. In order to continue in their liberality, it seems they will have to become increasingly rapacious. But in order to continue intensifying their rapacity, it seems they will require loyal arms, and it seems maintaining the loyalty of armed enforcers will depend on liberality toward them. Although governmental liberality may have originated in the compassion of some for others, it seems it will resolve itself into a system of armed men collecting for each others’ sake, and using the laws to firm their conscience and to deflect blame from themselves.

Kralizec on May 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I love this woman! If AZ doesn’t elect her governor, they’re missing a chance to really help themselves. We need more and more states that are willing to stand up to the feds.

Kissmygrits on May 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I love this woman. Whatta great interview. The federal administration has not a leg to stand on about this issue.
“Do. Your. Job.” Awesome!

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Midas on May 21, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Apparently yes — no righteous-fury fight to pick…

At Hot Air, I prefer to deal with the issue raised by the post first and then if something untoward should come up in comments, to deal with it then. Going out and actively fishing for excuses for a verbal brawl, as The Race Card certainly did in this thread, makes one look like — hmm, how shall I put this tactfully — an a******.

inviolet on May 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Kissmygrits on May 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I trust you mean RE-elect? She is currently the governor.

Maquis on May 22, 2010 at 1:03 AM

You know you’re one of my favorite racial-provocateurs, don’t you?

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Really? Give me some quoted examples. Come on.

ddrintn on May 22, 2010 at 1:32 AM

I also like the new hairdo.

angryed on May 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM

It’s obvious, “Comprehensive” reform is nothing more than a phony quid pro quo strategy.. “You give us the amnesty part, and we’ll give you the border security part.” *wink-wink*

I’m fairly certain, this is the same quid pro quo offered up during the Reagan Administration, with the result, the border security part wasn’t/hasn’t been enforced.

In other words, they didn’t hold up their end of the bargain.

Why would anyone believe they’d do it now?

franksalterego on May 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Kissmygrits on May 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I trust you mean RE-elect? She is currently the governor.

Maquis on May 22, 2010 at 1:03 AM

She is the gov. But she was never elected. She became gov when Obozo appointed Janet “The borders are now secure” Napolitano as DHS chief.

So if she were elected this year, she would not be re-elected technically.

angryed on May 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM

franksalterego on May 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Sadly however, the Maine Twins and Scotty Brown will still vote for it.

angryed on May 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

angryed on May 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

It feels more like Blackmail.

“We’ll do our job, and our duty, securing the border, after you give us the amnesty part.”

disgusting

franksalterego on May 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Way to go Gov. Brewer. If the Federal Government is not going to do their job then the 10th Amendment is ones only recourse.

MSGTAS on May 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Interesting that her site is down. I wonder if it’s recieving too many hits… or are the liberals falling back on one of their favorite debate tactics?

Jewels on May 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM

That’s a laugh. Hot Air is your “favorite” site? You constantly whine about the topics and have nothing but contempt for the majority of its contributors.

Try being honest for a change.

Mike Honcho on May 21, 2010 at 6:31 PM

You have proved yourself to be about as dumb a cluck as possible and still be able to type.

Here’s a simple exercise for ya. Google “Mike Honcho on” for this site. Google “The Race Card on” If HA is not my favorite site, it must be your nemesis. Clearly this is trivial, but highly amusing.

You have an open forum to prove yourself correct or admit that you’re a liar.

I’ve been here since the earliest of early days. I’ve written for the Green Room. HA keeps my browser from boring me to death while working or studying.

You’re late to the party kid as far as backbiters go, but I’ll toss you a consolation-bone.

The Race Card on May 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM

The Race Card on May 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I’m still waiting for quoted statements that show I’m a “racial-provocateur”.

ddrintn on May 22, 2010 at 6:08 PM