Video: The nicest attack ad ever

posted at 7:10 pm on May 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

A syrupy palate cleanser to freshen you up after two days of Rand Paul-related bile. I’m wondering if there’s a strategy behind this, if Toomey and Sestak are actually chummy in real life, or if it’s the simple byproduct of two guys who rightfully hate Specter feeling a little kinship in having beaten him. My hunch is that the last explanation is the correct one, although given the probability of a “Pat Toomey is a racist rage-filled tea-party wingnut” narrative from the left, a spoonful of sugar like this early on is a smart way to make them think twice.

The last poll, taken 10 days ago, had Toomey up five but after all the buzz for Sestak on primary night I’ll bet PT is even at best by now. Dude, I’m nervous.

Update: Here we go: Sestak 46, Toomey 42.

TV Clear Choice from Pat Toomey on Vimeo.

Comments

Or: “How The GOP Can Manage To Lose In 2010″

Cylor on May 20, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Until Sestak releases a brutal attack on Toomey as a Bush replica and then things go to crap.

amerpundit on May 20, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Toomey will probably lose to Sestak. Pennsylvania and the rest of this country likes the idea of decline. I am increasingly certain that a majority of Americans are brain dead.

andy85719 on May 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I know a lot of people were happy to see Specter leave, but he was the easiest to defeat. That’s why I was hesitant to cheer on a Specter defeat.

Sestak is the type of democrat Pennsylvania loves. This will be one tough election for Toomey.

cubachi on May 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I hope that I am wrong about this fall being a mulligan on 2008 with the voters still looking for change and the best liars winning. This weird ad and the recent results support me.

IlikedAUH2O on May 20, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Dude, I’m nervous.

As good as it felt to send Arlen packing in the primary…there was always a potential downside. It helped offset the bitter disappointment of the PA-12 loss, but it could come back to bite us. So yeah, I’m nervous too.

AUINSC on May 20, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I think it’s a good ad.

The little I saw of Sestak, post-victory, told me that he’s an insufferable jackass – like all the rest of the Dems. It never fails to amaze (and depress me) that people vote for these flipping losers.

Buy Danish on May 20, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Dude, I’m nervous.

chill. No need to get the BP up yet.

upinak on May 20, 2010 at 7:22 PM

In the spirit of the day, I’ll try to say this multi-linguistically:
El video es vam–it’s not there.

Chewy the Lab on May 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM

The One shouldn’t worry about being in comtrol of information. With the mess of the country and the faliure of every policy the Dems even like, the fact that they are close in any election shows how throughly they control the perception.

New Dem motto: We control the tube so we can take the counrry down one.

IlikedAUH2O on May 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Methinks this is a defensive play, if Sestak launches a broadside of vitiol after this, he looks like an ass. None the less as time passes it will get ugly, so Toomey better a few daisy-cutters waiting in the wings.

PA is a huge hunting state and guns are ingrained in its personae, SEstak gets an F from the NRA and one the feircest champions of gun control. Toomey needs to make this an issue and keep it front and center.

Archimedes on May 20, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Dude, I’m nervous.

just pull up your huggies hipsters and hang on, we’re gonna need nerves of steel and cutting snarks to boot as we warm up for the gratuitous November humpbot.

ted c on May 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Ugh. As soon as I saw the nice guy ad, I knew it was Toomey’s and not Sestak’s. Toomey was an idiot to gang up on Specter when he was clearly the weaker Democrat to face. He let his personal hatred of him affect the right political move.

Making nice with Democrats never pays off. Why keep doing it?

Speedwagon82 on May 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM

All Toomey has to do is post the unemployment numbers to Pennsylvanians the last two weeks of the campaign and put the “debt clock” up on his website—-game over.

Rovin on May 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Great,I don’t have to add Toomey to my Purge List!!
(sarc)

canopfor on May 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM

ted c on May 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM

ted c: That is sooooooooo poetic!!:)

canopfor on May 20, 2010 at 7:35 PM

drudge is headlining the rat that was underneath Mr. Obama today as he spoke. The other day, the hillbuzz fellas reported on thousands of bees that swarmed the White House when he was headin’ out to shoot hoops…..

not one to be ominous, but that’s ominous…

ted c on May 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Here’s a palate-cleanser cleanser:

Oregon Democratic Party sets up nasty, personal attack site against Kitzhaber’s republican gubernatorial opponent, former Portland Trailblazer center Chris Dudley.

Dudley Do Little

1.) They make fun of his name (Savior Faire clearly isn’t everywhere.)

2.) They ridicule his physical stature (height)

3.) They disparage his career as celebrity (Senator Smalley)

Yeah, but Kitz is soooo much more worthy of an historic 3rd term than the last guv who tried, Tom McCall.

Christien on May 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Archimedes on May 20, 2010 at 7:31 PM

You think Democrats care that they look like asses? This is the same party that is grooming Grayson for higher office. They will just say Toomey deserves it because he is a racist/sexist/Muslim hater etc.

Speedwagon82 on May 20, 2010 at 7:37 PM

OT but a good one:

As photographers snapped away, the critter trundled straight past the gray podium with the presidential seal and made a bee-line for another set of bushes to Obama’s left.

A rat!

upinak on May 20, 2010 at 7:26 PM

upinak: Well,its clear,that the RAT,followed Hopey all the
way from Chicago,and its probably,a THUG RAT!!

And maybe,its ANNinCA’s precious,” RATTY ” !!:)

canopfor on May 20, 2010 at 7:39 PM

The problem with ads like these is they straightjacket a candidate into cordiality, and then when it gets brutal in the final weeks, the inevitable attack ads come off as ugly hypocrisy. Check John McCain’s idiotic upfront insistence on gentlemanliness. Better to tell it like it is from the start and skip the “he’s a decent guy” crap.

Once again, you conservative ninnies: you’re in a war.

rrpjr on May 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I hope Toomey can pull this out. I can’t help but think Specter would have been much easier to beat.

sandee on May 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM

A rat!

upinak on May 20, 2010 at 7:26 PM

upinak: Oh Oh,I forgot,the RAT is escaping Hopeys Titanic!
—-:)

canopfor on May 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I have heard it said more than once that Sestak is to the left of ObaMao.

Toomey is a pro-growth candidate. He believes in the goodness of capitalism and the freedom it promotes.

Sestak did not feel that the assorted bills passed by Congress and bleeding our capital dry went far enough.

onlineanalyst on May 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM

A rat!

upinak on May 20, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Too funny! Maybe is was an Axlerod incarnate.

Rovin on May 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM

not one to be ominous, but that’s ominous…

ted c on May 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM

ted c: Rats and bee’s,and also,wasn’t there a fly
infestation!:)

canopfor on May 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM

It’s not a rat. The PC term is “adviser”.

Guardian on May 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Hang on boys and girls, there’s a long way to go in this election. Toomey only has to be ahead on Nov. 2.

Zorro on May 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM

All this gloomy talk…. It ain’t over for me until every commie/progressive (R & D) goes the way of Michael Jackson or I do.

Win, lose or draw, I plan to devote more time and effort to my activism no matter what.

CC

CapedConservative on May 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Joe Sestak failed to answer a very direct question by a CNN guy regarding the SECNAV offer that it is looking like the White House made him to bow out of this primary race.

Joe Sestak and the White House appear to be on some very thin ice with this squid pro quo thingy. I hope AP and Ed run this to ground over the next few months because, Sestak may be even and making AP nervous, but there is a really big unanswered question looming over the White House and Sestaks heads right now.

ted c on May 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

There’s nothing going to be easy. Always remember, R’s show up to fights with golf clubs, D’s show up with knives (or guns)

The Rand Paul thing is stupid…an “unforced error”. You can not make mistakes when the leftist media/blog/Dem machine is watching every word…and chortling at how stupid you are, or racist, or whatever.

r keller on May 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

There should be a requirement for anyone running for an R in a House/Senate seat to attend a two or three day media training…with role plays etc Navy BUD/S training followed by a week in Marine Corps SOI and then a week solid of getting kicked in the nards by po’d voters.

r keller on May 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

sorry dude, couldn’t resist

ted c on May 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Dude, I’m nervous.

And the sun rises in the East….

irishspy on May 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Robert Gibbs just confirmed the pernicious rumor that the job allegedly offered to Sestak by the White House was in fact Arlen Specter’s…

bobnox on May 20, 2010 at 8:19 PM

It would’ve been better had Specter won. I’m glad he got his just desserts, but he would’ve been the weaker candidate.

Oh well.

changer1701 on May 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I’m wondering if there’s a strategy behind this

YES! And its a lesson Republicans need to learn very quickly if they want to maximize their wins this fall….

At the very same time Americans disapprove of the Democrat agenda, and are very angry at congress, they are ALSO sick to death of how vicious and nasty politics has become.

Americans not only want to stop the radical Democrat agenda, they ALSO want to stop the nastiness

Republicans need to put out strong, straightforward ads like this, that ALSO show people that the nastiness always starts on the left, because the left cant win on ideas.

American Elephant on May 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM

For the love of the Republican party, all you hardline childish conservatives who are trying to dump McCain for Hayworth shut your mouths, and let Toomey run a moderate sounding campaign. DON’T be stupid!

conservador on May 20, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Toomey is NOT running a moderate campaign. He is running a conservative campaign espousing conservative principles. And a conservative campaign is what will win. Which is exactly why Democrats pretend to be conservatives when they run for office, including the Barack “Net spending cut, no healthcare mandate” Obama.

American Elephant on May 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I am increasingly certain that a majority of Americans are brain dead.

andy85719 on May 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I was DEAD certain by the end of 2008.

manwithblackhat on May 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Sestak is getting a bounce coming after a big deal primary.

He’s not going to win. He IS in congress and lots of people were focused on Specter as the symbol of washington.

Now they’ll have time to remember who Sestak IS.

Stephanie on May 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM

The economy is tanking. When’s the last time during a “recovery” that gas prices went down immediately prior to summer?

The stockmarket lost almost 400 points yesterday.

My November, people are going to start remembering how bad the economy sucks and they are going to remember who is to blame.

Democrats will be thrown out in droves this fall, don’t even worry about it.

NoDonkey on May 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I like this ad.

I think it’s pretty hard hitting, but without being mean.

I think a lot of independent voters and a lot of Democrats are going to nod their heads and think, yeah… Sestak is a nice guy, but he just doesn’t vote the way I want, I guess I’ll vote Toomey.

In fact, I suspect Democrats are the target of this ad. I know I just tune out the mean attack ads targeted at Republicans, I suppose Democrats do the same. This is a way of getting by that barrier a little.

Sackett on May 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I’m purdy nervous about this race too. I wish Toomey was running against Arlen. I like that matchup much more.

Maybe Arlen will give Sestak a little heart-ache and run a write-in campaign. That would be a beautiful disaster.

dczombie on May 21, 2010 at 9:36 AM

You call that an Attack ad? Seriously, that was an ad outlining positions.

jpmn on May 21, 2010 at 10:05 AM

You call that an Attack ad? Seriously, that was an ad outlining positions.

jpmn on May 21, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Exactly. Basically, it said, if you don’t like Porkulus and ObamaCare and civilian trials for terrorists, vote for Toomey.

Sestak might have gotten a “bounce” from being the “real” Democrat that took down the “turncoat” Specter, but if he has voted in the House for bills the people of PA don’t like, Toomey is right to criticize his record.

I’m nervous about this race too, but PA is a big and diverse state, and there’s still 5 1/2 months until election day. Toomey might have been preparing to face Specter, and now has to change tactics, but this is a good first step.

Steve Z on May 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM

We should all remind PA voters that Obama campaigned to the right also and look at him. Lesson of ’08 & video of Dems applauding Calderon is you can’t trust these snakes, they campaign right and then go left of Chavez and Obama.

Herb on May 21, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Nothing at all wrong with that ad. Others running as conservatives should use this template.

I like the idea that SOMEONE is comparing a liberal and a conservative AND SOMEONE is finally bringing up the health care bill (among other things). What happened to the outrage on the Feds taking over health care? Haven’t heard much about it the last few weeks.

dirtseller on May 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM