Poll: Is Everybody Draw Mohammed Day a good idea?

posted at 9:30 am on May 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Today, bloggers around the world will participate in a protest against terrorists by drawing cartoons of the Muslim prophet Mohammed.  Everyone Draw Mohammed Day started when terrorist threats against Comedy Central pushed its executives to heavily censor an episode of South Park, which still cannot be seen on the South Park Studios website.  It got off to an inauspicious start, though, when its creator backed out of the event, citing concerns about being overly provocative.

That’s a good point to consider, especially if one goal of the war on terror is to push an Enlightenment of sorts onto global Islam.  A “hearts and minds” campaign, as we discovered in Vietnam, requires some sympathy and understanding of the entire community.  If we’re insulting a broad class of Muslims by celebrating what appears to be a heresy in their eyes, we’re pushing them closer to the radicals and not isolating the terrorists.  Given the images being celebrated on Facebook’s EDMD page, it won’t be too difficult to see this as an attack on their religion altogether.

On the other hand — and this is where my sympathies lie — a free society has to have the ability to offend as part and parcel of the freedom of expression.  To acquiesce to the pressure that cowed Comedy Central is to surrender that freedom and to make terrorism a successful strategy, and not just for radical Islam.  A nation of laws provides its citizens freedom from vendettas, and where vendettas succeed, freedom is diminished or lost altogether.  That is why it is always un-American to seek political change through violence and terrorism, because it cuts against the fabric of what makes us Americans.  In order to stand against the vendetta mentality, we need to make a statement that we will not be cowed into silence and surrender, whether that’s defined as dhimmitude, omerta, or whatever.

My good friend Chris Muir has what I believe may be the most thoughtful entry for EDMD.  It’s a good theme for EDMD as a sort of Rohrshach test.  What you read into it depends entirely on you.  Is this Mohammed?  A butterfly?

Update: My friend Beldar makes an intriguing and well-reasoned argument against EDMD in a rebuttal to my post. Be sure to read it all.

What do you think of EDMD?  Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

facebook yanked the page, but left up the draw the holocaust and the against edmd site

clnurnberg on May 20, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Predictable. Why does everyone suck?

pfamis on May 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Allegedly it was closed due to death threats, so the site gets closed and those who threaten win….great job facebook

clnurnberg on May 20, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Ugly antisemitism is good, mo-hate is bad?

clnurnberg on May 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I’ve seen the cartoons they write about Christians and Jews, all bets are off, screw the goat f’ers.
These guys just don’t understand us, we’re an equal opportunity offender. Everything we do offends them, do they realize the extent that they offend us? Screw the children of the pedophile profit. I wish to live in peace with all humans, but this slime that wishes me dead because I don’t believe as they do, I piss on their foreheads. They can cut off my head, but rest assured I will blow off a few of theirs first.

M-14 2go on May 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I did it!!!!

margategop517 on May 20, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Bizarro,

When I learned rhetoric and debate I was taught that “ad hominem” (e.g., calling someone stupid) had two meanings: 1. Literally, “to the man.” 2. Rhetorically, “I’m out of ideas.”

I accept your capitulation.

To expand for a bit, though, those who say “there are no moderate Muslims” are making the same argument as those who’d claim that all true Christians want to stone homosexuals, and those who don’t obviously aren’t “true” Christians.

As Polly said to the Queen, “It’s absolute bosh from beginning to end!”

Onus,
You make an interesting point. But Jesus also said that not the smallest part of Torah would pass away. That includes stoning, etc. So I don’t think your argument really holds up.

Christians recognize that Jesus changed the game. He didn’t abolish the Law, but rather fulfilled it. It was no longer to necessary to try to follow every jot and tittle, because it was never possible in the first place. So, put your faith in Jesus and accept His forgiveness.

That’s the core of Christianity.

The core of Islam is that Allah is large and in charge, and is gonna do whatever he wants to do, so you’d better get used to the idea.

Yes, there are still those who want to spread Islam by force. And the West is fighting them in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But as Mark Steyn notes, demographics will probably do the job more effectively.

skydaddy on May 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM

clnurnberg on May 20, 2010 at 8:35 PM

A little bit of appeasement goes a long way. It’s kind of like throwing blood in the water with sharks.

logis on May 21, 2010 at 12:07 AM

[email protected] on May 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

If you choose not to see the bigotry, I can’t make you. I am dreadfully sorry that you feel the need or pressure to use racial slurs. Frustration can cause that overreaction among the mildly bigoted, such as yourself.

Anyhooters, don’t go all wobbly on my account. Live it up. It’s not my cross to bear burn.

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 1:51 AM

I know you are but what am I?
The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 1:51 AM

A racist.

Next question?

logis on May 21, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Remember Skydaddy that in Islam there is no one in that religion who forgives sin. Only Jesus can since He is God who took a human form and took our place for sin. In islam you would never know if you are good enough because mohammaned is not God but merely a so called prophet. I agree with everything you said in the previous remarks. Muslims will be surprized at the end.

garydt on May 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM

skydaddy,

I’m glad you considered my point, but was a bit disappointed by your response. One of the major problems in debates like this is ignorance of the participants. I admit that I’m not an expert on all things Islamic or Christian. And so I try to overcome my own ignorance through research.

Here is the Bible quote you reference, along with the very next verse which provides the context: Matthew 5:18-19 “18. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

Clearly “the law” (or Torah as you stated) refers to the 10 Commandments and not the 5 books that make up the Hebrew Bible.

Hyperbole and demagoguery are also crutches used in debates that indicate lack of confidence in one’s own argument.

With regard to Steyn, he is likely correct, but that doesn’t negate anything I have said. In fact, his argument and mine go hand in hand. By cowtowing to political correctness, threats of violence and actual violence, we make it that much easier for Islam to spread without violence. NOT because the nature of Islam has changed, but becase we have. It is hard to fight an opponent who consistently runs away.

Onus on May 21, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I hear you, and at the core, I understand why you take exception to what he’s saying, because I do too. My first post about it didn’t as accurately express my problem, admittedly, which is that even sometimes subtle deviations from the status quo here … even if stated thoughtfully, can immediately earn you “concern troll” or “terror apologist” labels.

Like I said, that’s not really a detriment to me stating my point of view, because those folks typically offer no real resistence once you drag them into the light, but it’s tiring.

So in short, I get what you meant now, no hard feelings on that. I’d like at some point to go back and read more fully all of skydaddy’s arguments and the one’s opposing them (I’ve only gotten the basic gist because I’ve been reading other threads too), and maybe I can do that later, since deadlines are beginning to loom here.

And to skydaddy: No problem. I’d liked to have actually tried to show where you were wrong, but I’m out of time for now.

Suffice it to say: We cannot back down for the sake moderate Muslims, because moderate Muslims have shown themselves by and large to be completely ineffectual at slowing or stopping terror.

If, as many say, moderates do not believe Mohammed decrees you should kill for intended slights and so forth, the greatest offense being done to Muslims is by Muslims.

If we all do as they command and do not depict Mohammed, it tells them that they can make demands and we will concede to them out of fear. I don’t think this is an excuse to be offensive, it’s overall a message saying “You cannot tell us what to do.”

And that is right, they cannot, unless we let them out of fear of being offensive.

Heralder on May 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM

You and I want people to be civil when they disagree, which is a good sentiment. skydaddy isn’t smart enough to understand the concept.

Some other people in this thread have taken skydaddy’s position, but they haven’t taken the next step of inflexibly pigeonholing the motives of those who support EDMD the way skydaddy has, and that’s why skydaddy has received so much derision when others who agree with his position haven’t.

If skyddady was the intellectually curious type, s/he would attempt to address this fact. The way it is, that’s above skydaddy’s pay grade.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Not all Sunnis go by that, but yes, I understand some find it hypocritical.
They are still no different when dealing with infidels.
The Koran says what it says.
So really the choices are not that much different.
It’s an apple. Even if the apple is a different type of apple, it’s still an apple.
Also this crap about some muslims viewing the jihad as an inner struggle is crap.
It’s clear what the Koran commands & the later information trumps everything else that comes before it.
So any peaceful loving thing that might come 1st is later obliterated by other things said after.
It’s plain & simple a nasty book on the murder & conquering of non-believers.

Badger40 on May 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I agree with the thrust of what you are saying; I mainly wanted to point out that Sunnis generally don’t believe in taqiyya.

I went and read a little about the issue, and I got something backwards: it’s the Sunnis who don’t believe in taqiyya who look down upon Shi-ites who do for being bad Muslims showing a lack of faith in Allah.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Bizarro,

I accept your capitulation.

As Polly said to the Queen, “It’s absolute bosh from beginning to end!”

skydaddy on May 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM

lol “I accept your capitulation.” Does it get any funnier than this? I imagine you saying that in a Thurston Howell III-type voice, you clueless, pompous windbag.

If I were only saying you were stupid w/o addressing your position, you might reasonably be able to say that I was arguing ad hominem. Since that isn’t what I’ve been doing, you choosing to portray it in that light continues to prove that you’re really stupid, a complete dingbat who has shown yourself to be incapable of understanding the weight of what you are doing and saying.

Not only do your reasoning abilities suck, your reading comprehension does as well.

Question: how do you honorably debate an unaware, unrepentent abuser like you who’s hopelessly mired in her/his own hermetically-sealed, self-referential reality? Answer: you can’t. Again, I don’t expect you to get this – you’re impervious like that! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 21, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Are you proud that you need to put this in question form?

What a joke. Yeah, yeah, I know. There is no problem with bigotry on the right.

The Race Card on May 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Besides albinos, Ayotollah Khamenei is the fairest skin man I’ve ever seen.

If my own brother were to become a muslim, he would by that fact become my enemy. It has nothing to do with race.

thuja on May 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Read my comments again; I did not mention race. “Bigotry” exists independent of race. You and others in this thread have made that point quite well.

As if

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Is Everybody Draw Mohammed Day a good idea?

Are you proud that you need to put this in question form?

What a joke. Yeah, yeah, I know. There is no problem with bigotry on the right.

The Race Card on May 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM

As I recall Ed Morrissey had no moral objection to Larry David urinating on a picture of Jesus Christ.

Ed’s libertarian capacity for displays of modern nihilism was such that he felt he shouldn’t even complain when someone pissed all over his deepest beliefs.

So what is the argument for sparing Mohammed the same treatment meted out to every other symbol of reverence?

Sure, lots of people might be bigoted Islam. But the question is can we piss all over anything sacred? That is the libertarian definition of radical personal freedom that people want to preserve.

Since a lot of people here are big South Park fans, the answer for most would have to be “yes”.

aengus on May 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM

aengus on May 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Agreed.

I’d rather be offended than bored with life.

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Would like the same respect accorded to Mohammad as accorded to God/Jesus.

kringeesmom on May 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM

When jihadis give God/Jesus/(any other religion) the level of repsect they give to mo. any respect.

Until then, not so much.

Mangy Scot on May 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Mangy Scot on May 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, because all Muslims are jihadis. Thank you for piling onto the dungheap of anti-Muslim bigotry found here at HotAir.com.

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM

The Race Card on May 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Technically, all Muslims are jihadis, as it’s an integral part of Islam. Not that someone like you’d care to know what the Koran actually contains or anything like that, as it might upset your fantasy about Islam being a peaceful religion.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 21, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Technically, all Muslims are jihadis, as it’s an integral part of Islam. Bizarro No. 1 on May 21, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Yes, yes, another conservative telling the world all they know about a religion he hates. I mean, you do hate Islam, right? What about Muslims? Do you loathe all Muslims?

The Race Card on May 22, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Ridicule has always been used against our enemies.
First…the things I am about to write about the pedophile mo are taken from the “holy writings” of islam.
The koran, the hadiths and the surrahs.
mo married Aisha when she was six. He took her to bed when she was 9. He enjoyed having men lick his chest. He enjoyed sucking on the tongues of young boys and girls. He had sex with a corpse…a little necro-curious? He was obsessed with cutting off peoples heads…had names for his swords. Mass murderer, pedophile, dabbler in necrophilia with homosexual tendencies who calls for death to homosexuals.
This is a man to revere? To call prophet? This is who they kill for when he is insulted?
Piss Be Upon Him! Death to islam! Free the slaves of that odious “religion”.
The Ayatollah Khomeini’s Little Green Book of islamic Jurisprudence should be called the little green book of islamic horrors.
In it, the Ayatoilet Sosmelly gives the OK to sex, “with children as young as an infant”. It’s OK as long as you only sodomize or “thigh” the child. If you accidentally take the victims virginity, you are responsible for her for the rest of her life financially, but she doesn’t count as one of your wives.
Sex with babies…OK? If that aint a reason for a “religion” to cease to exist…
And doan hand me crap about islam reforming. They’ve had 1400 years to reform and those muslims that stand up and call for reformation have to hide and hire bodyguards.
Their more enthusiastic brethren threaten them with death for being “un-islamic”.
Most muslims are unaware of the true nature of their prophet and know nothing of the perversions he indulged in. They listen to the imams and ayatoilets and doubt nothing.
And yes Race Card…I hate islam. That does not mean that I hate muslims. I see them as the victims of their religion as much as those that followed Jones to Jonestown and died. islam kills every single day. There have been over 15,000 terrorist attacks carried out by, “misunderstanders of islam” since 9/11. Then there’s the honor killings, the family honor upheld by murdering a daughter or two, a sister or two. The simple murders that are not terror related but simply islam vs. religion X. Like the Christian that was beaten to death by the muslim father and sons for drinking from a “muslim only cup” at their stand.
The persecution of the Copts in Egypt rages on right now as the Lamestream media turns a blind eye to it.
I know Atheists, Hindus, Jews and Christians from Australia, the UK, France, Germany, China all over the world that meet at Jihadwatch to share news and views and information regarding the stealth jihad. Many such sites exist and since Truth has become “hate speech” they are often so labeled. Usually by those that have never been there.
Your ignorance of the issue, your lack of knowledge concerning islam is revealed by your knee jerk reaction to attack a “Conservative”. You don’t need to be a Conservative or even an American to recognize the danger that islam presents. the threat is worldwide…

“Kenya should learn from what happened to the mightier Ethiopian forces,” said Sheikh Ali Dhere. “Thousands of Ethiopians had to stream to the border in total defeat.”
He asked the trainees to remain morally and spiritually equipped to confront any threat against Islam.

The militants, he said, were in Jihad against non-Muslims anywhere around the world.

“The jihad is for the liberation of all Muslims around the world,” said Sheikh Ali Dhere. “When we succeed in this part, we will to move to other parts until we ensure only Allah is worshipped in this world,” he added amid chants of Allahu Akbar (God is Great)….

And what is it that you know of islam Race Card? How many years have you spent studying the koran, the surrahs and the hadiths that you insult those that DO know islam for what it is?
Tell me…do you think that a religion that is OK with having sex with babies should be perpetuated? The ayatoilet also gives the OK to sex with animals, as long as you kill them afterward. You want the practitioners of such acts as your neighbors? Of course, by the time they feel free to start thighing, you will have converted to save your ass.
Liberals are like that. Not to be overly dramatic but…
I will die first and not easily.

islam is a lie and
Truth is killing it.

Army Brat on May 22, 2010 at 3:25 AM

As most of us have suspected for a very long time there is no moderate islam.
He has spoken many times and many places with this same message…

Army Brat on May 22, 2010 at 3:31 AM

The Race Card on May 22, 2010 at 2:26 AM

I know more about Islam than you apparently do, genius. I don’t deny that I hate it – it’s the only reasonable reaction a sane person can have to it when facing the truth about it. Unlike you, I care more about knowing and stating unpleasant facts, whatever they may be, than I do protecting sensitive people’s feelings from having to see facts that might make them uncomfortable because they go against what they’ve been taught is true.

Read this s-l-o-w-l-y so that it sinks into your thick skull – I am so talented that I can distinguish between people and the beliefs they hold. I don’t hate individual Muslims anymore or anyless than I hate anyone who has stupid, dehumanizing religious views; it’s not intended personally when I say they are ignorant for having such ludicrous beliefs.

I readily admit many so-called Muslims are genuinely tolerant of non-Muslims. What miserable, socially-reckless asses like you fail to realize is these so-called Muslims aren’t following Muhammed’s precepts about how believing Muslims are to interact with non-Muslims, which supposedly came from Allah Himself and are unalterable by us lowly humans. These so-called Muslims who are genuinely tolerant of non-Muslims are as much genuine Muslims as Roman Catholics who support abortion rights are genuine Roman Catholics.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Realizing he cannot continue to defend the indefensible, Race Card slinks away and wrecks a thread elsewhere…
Yes? No? What is it?