Facebook pulls “Everybody Draw Mohammed” page?

posted at 10:21 pm on May 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Ed Driscoll, here’s the cached page and here’s the live URL. What’s different?

It’s possible, I suppose, that the guy who created the page simply took it down himself, but why he’d do that before the day is over and without any sort of farewell post escapes me. We got a bunch of e-mails this morning claiming that the page had been removed briefly and put back online shortly thereafter, so maybe this is FB’s version of a compromise: Leave it up for most of the day, then censor it a few hours early as a sop to the nuts who are freaking out in Pakistan. If so, it’s a neat illustration of Matt Welch’s point that the more urgent threat to free speech comes not from bomb-toting jihadis but from western media that’s overly eager to avoid giving offense. And indeed, according to NBC, reaction to EDMD has been low key in most Muslim enclaves. Most — but not all:

Khalid al-Maeena, editor-in-chief of the Arab News, worries that reactions could escalate.

“It is a series of provocations to incite people and could get idiots to issue statements calling for violence,” he said. “It is a determined effort to create a wedge between Muslims and other people. I hope they will rise to the occasion and be sane in dealing with it.”

If violence erupts, Maeena says he will lay blame at the feet of the cartoonist who introduced the Facebook idea in the first place.

“Sensibilities are being attacked for no reason but to create mischief. If anyone dies on one side or the other, [they] should be charged with murder,” said Maenna. “I am a secular person, I am a liberal, but enough is enough!”

Newsflash: If you’re willing to blame a cartoonist for the body count incurred in a fit of rage over his/her drawings, you’re neither a secularist nor a liberal. But good news: Molly Norris, the artist who kicked this whole idea off, is in full walkback mode, declaring, “I apologize to people of Muslim faith and ask that this ‘day’ be called off.” So, hopefully they’ll let her off the hook. For now.

Update: Do note: The Facebook page opposed to Everybody Draw Mohammed Day is still online.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Tony737 on May 21, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Narutoboy will convert in a heartbeat to save his head, if he hasn’t already.

Disturb the Universe on May 21, 2010 at 8:37 AM

You want to stop “Islamic fascism”? Open up a dialogue with the community.

Narutoboy on May 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM

The conversation has been going on for a long, long time, and it is evident that you haven’t engaged in the most important part of meaningful discussion.

They have made their position and intentions clear…

…YOU are not listening.

Saltysam on May 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I tried finding that page yesterday. If you ever wondered why Islam spread so quickly in the eighth century, there is your answer. Violence with a reaction of pure cowardice.

Hening on May 21, 2010 at 9:32 AM

The whole idea was childish if you ask me. I think I’ll post a Everybody Draw Obama Day and see what reaction I get from the left.

scalleywag on May 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I pointed out to a commentator that I found many vile drawings of Jesus (My Lord and Savior) interspersed in with these drawings or Muhammad and I didn’t want to kill anyone. But alas… PC wins again. I would hate for my meager drawing to fall off the map so quickly, so here it is (my 30-seconds of non-fame):

papa_giorgio on May 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I’m already thinking about my entry for next year.

Canadian Infidel on May 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM

They have made their position and intentions clear…

…YOU are not listening.

Saltysam on May 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM

This is true. The current administration cannot say “Islamic Terrorist” or even, “enemy combatant.” Something very wrong is happening at the highest levels of our government with regard to protecting the American people.

The presidential oath has been broken “…and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Fallon on May 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I made a pic of Larry, Curly, and Mo-hammad for the occasion.

Logboy on May 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Hening on May 21, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Succinct and incredibly insightful. Islam is peaceful only wwhen infidels modify their behavior.

Onus on May 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

– Onus on May 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

2) Islam is peaceful if you’re not gay.
3) Islam is peaceful when women cover themselves up.
4) Islam is peaceful if you’re not a Jew.
5) Islam is peaceful when infidels pay the Jizya.
6) etc….

TwilightStruggler on May 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Facebook said they did not take the page down. Facebook noted that the people who created the page may have taken it down due to death threats.Meanwhile, the backup “Everybody Draw Mohammed” page is still up and running.

Hera on May 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Yes you are.

Darth Executor on May 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Here’s a little musical Mo -ment to cleanse the palate.

What Arlo Gurthrie and Bob Dylan and even The Jonas Brothers should be singing.

profitsbeard on May 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM

You want to stop “Islamic fascism”? Open up a dialogue with the community.

Narutoboy on May 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM

They have made their position and intentions clear…

…YOU are not listening.

Saltysam on May 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Saltysam, save your breath, your talking to a liberal, who made his screen name based on a Japanese Anime, ment for Children (namely boys in the 9-13 catagory).

And exit question… how much do you want to bet, that these same Muslim groups, probably sent the obligartory threats of beheading to the Facebook staff, unless the webpage was taken down, let alone the guy who started the “Draw Mohammed” page.

Razgriez on May 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Razgriez on May 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I highly recommend you spend less time familiarizing yourself with pop culture and more time attending middle school English classes.

Darth Executor on May 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Darth Executor on May 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM

That would be a lot of effort for Razgriez…the schools in his area only go up to the 6th grade.

Dark-Star on May 21, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Apparently the guy who started the Facebook group had his computer hacked. FYI.

Logboy on May 22, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Here is an interview with the creator.

Logboy on May 22, 2010 at 3:02 AM

I collected a handful of the most colorful death threats I observed on the Facebook group. They are posted here.

Logboy on May 22, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Darth Executor on May 21, 2010

So you’re a grammar fascist, and you support Islamofascists. A+ for consistency.

DrZin on May 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Razgriez on May 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Darth Executor on May 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Ha ha, so I come out and make a point about who one liberal is… and out comes another one who can’t actual counter my exit question point (“how much do you want to bet, that these same Muslim groups, probably sent the obligatory threats of beheading to the Facebook staff, unless the webpage was taken down, let alone the guy who started the “Draw Mohammed” page.”) , but he can assume (wrongly) about my English skills. It’s so sad and pathetic, it’s funny.

Razgriez on May 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM

OK, now the group is back up along with all the other draw muhammad groups.

Logboy on May 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM

–uuuu——-’U'——uuuu–

MOHAMMED WAS HERE!

HonestConservative on May 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Oh, and BTW,

You can’t spell Mohammed without HAM!

HonestConservative on May 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I used to think Islam was a true religion, but I now know that it is at its rotten heart a violent cult.

I for one do want a “wedge” between the free (mostly free) West and the most unfree and oppressed Middle-East. The wedge I envision is more of a wall to be honest.

I make no apologies to muslims when I say you deserve to be profiled and observed very very closely. Every move you make as the song by The Police goes. Ironic–The Police–don`t you think?

I think Hadrian could make us a good wall.

Islam I thought was Islam but now to me it is islam. I have no time to waste pressing the shift key for the i in islam anymore.

But I don`t mind the shift key when I write The Police, however. Ironic.

Yes, it is that bad. Your global jihad must be stopped. Already Europe is turning on you. Start behaving before you find yourself sanctioned by European states. Europe is always were the nasty stuff begins. Wars and such.

islam is evil.

Evil must be opposed. And some evils deserve immediate attention.

And I don`t want no stinking mosque built on the site of the 911 tragedy in New York. Insanity!

Existing mosques must be monitored closely by the authorities. I want cameras in all muslim gathering places. They should be connected to a central observation office. Special treatment for an especially troublesome sort. And again, muslims have worked hard to gain their bad reputation.

If islam can show it can behave and stop its terrorism for a period of no less than one hundred years, then it might, might I say, be welcomed back into the civilized world as a true religion.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2010 at 12:59 AM