Left’s first attack on Rand Paul: He held his victory rally at a country club

posted at 6:54 pm on May 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

I feel disoriented. Granted, they’re going to hit him early and often because they think he’s vulnerable in the general election, but even so — it’s strange to see liberals hammering a Paul. Not that they’re fans of his pop, exactly, but he’s dovish enough on foreign policy to have earned a certain grudging respect from the left, which I figured would lead them to use Queensberry rules in going after his son. That was … naive. Believe it or not, this idiocy isn’t the dumbest attack of the day. That honor belongs to water-carrier Josh Marshall, who’s pretty sure that Paul’s a “very unlikeable” guy and is expecting big things from that narrative in the days ahead.

But back to the narrative du jour. This is, of course, a wink-wink insinuation that Paul’s a racist — why else would a Republican want to be at a country club? — and Raw Story, at least, is making no bones about it. Quote:

According to the club’s own website, “Bowling Green Country Club is one of Kentucky’s oldest and most respected private clubs. Our active and vibrant membership has helped establish a heritage and tradition that the club has maintained since its inception in 1913. Bowling Green Country Club is located in the heart of the state, affording our club a relaxed, warm environment that embraces the uniqueness of the local culture.”

It appears that the club’s devotion to maintaining its “history and tradition” included a dogged adherence to segregation as late as the 1960′s. According to a history of Western Kentucky University, “In 1967 the golf team, which had no practice course, was invited to use the facilities of the Bowling Green Country Club. Then it was discovered that the team might have a black member. The Country Club was not integrated, and the invitation came under question.” The university team wound up going elsewhere for its practices.

So there you go. Not only is Mr. Tea Party a secret elitist who digs country clubs, but he patronizes ones that were racially restrictive … 40 years ago. The punchline? When asked about this on ABC this morning, Paul obviously sensed the racial undertone of the insinuation and brought up Tiger Woods as evidence that golf and country clubs are no longer reserved for WASP elites. (He could have, and should have, mentioned Obama’s golf habit too.) To which Vanity Fair responds, aha — mentioning Tiger only proves that Paul’s got race on his mind.

This is the way this election is going to go, isn’t it? The tea party success story must be crushed, and any weapon to hand is good enough. It pains me to think that I’m going to have to devote precious work hours to defending one of the Pauls, but if the attacks remain this stupid, there’s simply no choice. David Freddoso thinks he’s going to win because the Dems nominated their own fringe-dweller; I think Freddoso’s overly optimistic, just because there seems to be an awful lot of bad blood between the Paulnuts and Trey Grayson’s supporters, who may be inclined to stay home. Prognostications are welcome in the comments. Exit quotation from Wonkette(!): “How is this more elitist than holding it at a Four Seasons Grand Ballroom, like every other major candidate does?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Googled “Barack Obama AntiChrist” 340,000 results. Guess that proves it. /s

Firefly_76 on May 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Try Barack Obama Savior

I wonder if Jesus Christ got the word that his services are no longer required?

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:20 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM

So yer comparing Dan Rather with Alex ‘Our Government Murdered 3,000 of It’s Own Citizens’ Jones??

Really??

Or is is Alex ‘David Frum and Dick Cheney are Neo-Cons’ Jones??

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Umm…no. I just find MB4’s claim that he doesn’t know who Alex Jones is just a tad unbelievable.

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I don’t know why. Before I got involved with the Paul ’08 campaign, I had never heard of Alex Jones either.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:25 PM

See, Ron Paul is a racist… just like Ronald Reagan!

/ dumbass liberals and their useful idiot “conservative” counterparts

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM

You scared me for a second. Big difference between a man that was elected to serve in government and a man whose only claim to fame is running America’s most popular hate/racist site, who also happened to be apart of the KKK.

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I live in Rand’s hometown and kind of sort of know him.

While watching the local news I noticed he was at the Bowling Green Country Club. I told my wife that it was a terrible political miscalculation on his part. I didn’t think the fallout would be so soon. We have a beautiful town square, and I can’t believe he didn’t give his victory celebration there. Supposedly, he is a man of the people.

The liberals will dig into some of the history of the Bowling Green Country Club and spin it in a sordid sort of way.

I voted for Rand and did so out of principle. I actually have worked with Trey Grayson on a couple of issues and like him a lot. He’s always struck me as a RINO, though.

Rand is a rock solid conservative but a political novice. He’s going to get creamed in the general election. Jack Conway will morph himself into any political stripe to woo Kentucky voters. Kentucky Democrats are great at doing that.

Conway maybe handed the GOP a gem when he called the senate seat up for grabs “Wendell Ford’s Seat.” It smacked of Massachusetts. Ford has campaigned for Conway and was down in my area a few days before the primary.

Grayson would lose in the general, too, but because he’s too moderate.

GOP is going to be terribly disappointed this fall.

Ampleforth on May 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM

As far as I know, Alex Jones never used obviously doctored documents to prop up a smear of a sitting commander-in-chief.

Apparently, that’s less of a problem for some of us around here than it is for me.

I’ve never listened to Alex Jones, and I try to avoid Dan Rather. But they both have audiences, and in this political world, those who would compete must sit down with those who have audiences.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I would hope you would forgive those of us who cut Alex Jones the same slack as we would Mr. Fraudulent but Accurate.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Alex Jones is a political loon.
He doesn’t attempt to pass himself off as a news reporter for a major network, which is at least honest on his part.

Rather got fired by the network for lying and making up a story.
There is no such brake on Jones–in fact, his whole draw is that he gathers up lies and sells them as “fact.”

Any one who listens to or or gives an interview to Jones knows his ideological bent and what he’ll do with his alleged information.

No, you and other Alex Jones’ fans don’t get the same “slack” as those who choose to believe CBS News.

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM

And there is a big difference between chumming around with someone, and having one picture taken with them out on the campaign trail.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:32 PM

A

mpleforth on May 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Thank you, sir, for confirming on the scene what I’d already feared!

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Jenfidel, you are like the biggest Sarah Palin booster on this site. This country club crap=racist sounds like something MSM would pull on her if she ever spoke at one. So I don’t see why you are trying to validate it.

Speedwagon82 on May 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:32 PM

What about receiving donations from them and refusing to give them back, even when it’s brought to your attention?

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Speedwagon82 on May 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Sarah’s endorsement of Paul has been her biggest mistake/mis-step to date, IMO.
I could stomach her endorsement of McCain (only just), her endorsement of Fiorina doesn’t bother me, but the support for Paul baffles me.
Sarah really should have stayed out of this one.
I’m not sure Rand Paul even needed any help; he was going to win the GOP primary anyway.
(Was she going after the support of the Paultards???)
The Pauls, both Rand and Ron, are Trouble: whether they will admit it or not, they are anti-Semites who hang around with white supremacists and many of their ideas about American foreign policy and defense and our economy, banking and currency are not Conservative and most of the time, are not even American.

Palin needs to back out of this one quietly.
I hope she will.

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

No, Alex Jones uses absolutely no evidence to put forth the theory that the United States Government was behind 9/11.

How many politicians did interviews with Dan Rather after the Memo Gate crap?? Rather was exposed for what he was. Bye Bye Dan.

How many times did Ron and Rand do interviews on Whack Bag Alex Jones’ show knowing full well what a full blown bullet head he is???

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Speedwagon82 on May 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

BTW, Speed, thanks for asking this important question and pointing out the inherent problems in Palin’s endorsement of Rand Paul and both Palin’s and the Pauls’ affiliation with the egalitarian and anti-elitist Tea Party Movement.

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Commenters on this thread demonstrate that despite the history lessons from Goldwater and Palin, Republicans have learned NOTHING. The libs and the MSM will throw everything at Paul, not that they wouldn’t have with Grayson, but because Paul’s a constitutionalist and a political newbie, he is an easier target. This will be a close race b/c of Demo affiliation in KY. Circle the wagons people…circle the wagons.

Firefly_76 on May 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Pauls’ affiliation with the egalitarian and anti-elitist Tea Party Movement.

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Your argument that Rand should not hold a victory party at a country club because of “egalitarianism” bespeaks volumes. Since when is the tea party about class warfare? The tea partiers are against political elitism, they don’t care about how much money any particular candidate has.

Firefly_76 on May 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Firefly_76 on May 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Personally, I got no truck with Rand Paul. I don’t live in Kentucky. This whole country club thing is pure dog$hit.

I do find the relationship with some one like Alex Jones a bit screwed up.

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Firefly_76 on May 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Political elitism is the problem, but it’s not helpful (in the Rumsfeldian sense) to exhibit economic and social elitism at a time when the economy’s hurting and people don’t have jobs or money for food and gas, much less to pay their country club dues!

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM

My standard answer to that would be, “What is it about Nazis that you think highly enough of them that you think anyone, much less a candidate for high office, should be giving them money?”, while invoking Ferengi Rule of Acquisition Number One: “Once you have their money, never give it back.”

But let me be even more frank with you:

As it happens, when that incident went down, I was employed by the Paul campaign, albeit in a role far away from Alexandria, and far away from the money arm of the operation. My suggestion at the time was make a donation in an equal amount to the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.

Alas, my brilliant political strategy either never made it up the line, or was simply ignored.

One political gaffe does not a Nazi sympathizer make.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

How many times did Ron and Rand Eric Cantor and Paul Ryan do interviews on Whack Bag Alex Jones’ Chris Matthews’ show knowing full well what a full blown bullet head he is???

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Now, do we read Ryan and Cantor out of the movement also?

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

One political gaffe does not a Nazi sympathizer make.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Would’ve been a good move.

Fine, let’s put aside the picture and the donation issue. What about the newsletters?

I don’t put any of this on Rand. I’m ONLY talking about Ron Paul here.

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Again…when Chris Mathews or Dan Rather come out as full blown A$$hole Truther $hitheads you might have a point.

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I don’t put any of this on Rand. I’m ONLY talking about Ron Paul here.

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Word around the campfire was that Ron essentially let Lew Rockwell handle those newsletters (as Dr. Paul was rather busy with his medical practice), and that chances are good he never even saw a copy of any of them. i don’t know that for sure… just heard that from people closer to the inner circle than myself.

Now, if you want to claim those disqualify him for POTUS because of an atrocious management style, its a fair argument that I will simply disagree with. As far as painting him as a racist because of them… there really isn’t any “there” there. Frankly, if what Kirchick published was the worst of them, they are hardly worse than anything you would hear in your average gangsta rap song, and probably with a good deal more truth in them.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Well, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM

While invoking Ferengi Rule of Acquisition Number One: “Once you have their money, never give it back.”

Any honest American candidate would break that rule and would give back the money from StormFront and David Duke.

No. This wouldn’t make it right, either.

Quite right.
You’re talking about kabuki theater and window dressing when the Pauls have a very real problem of associating with anti-Semites and white supremacists.

One political gaffe does not a Nazi sympathizer make.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

It’s not a question of “one political gaffe” but a consistent political platform and ideology of the Pauls which may not outright embrace anti-Semitism, Neo-Nazism and white supremacy, but certainly is conducive to those beliefs and which has joined forces with the very groups espousing such fringe beliefs.

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Good effort.

BigWyo on May 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Ampleforth on May 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM

The towns square sounds lovely but I think you have to make arrangements that cover all possible weather conditions well in advance of the actual “party”. Conservatives need to have simple logical explanations to things that Democrats will pretzel into ridiculous accusations.

Cindy Munford on May 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM

That last part is kind of weak. I don’t expect to hear “gangsta rap rhetoric” from a congressmen, and I didn’t see any truths in those newsletters. If he did write them, it shows that Paul is a hypocrite. He singles out blacks in the newsletters for the riots and talks about how, in “his” words, how “fleet-footed” they are. Funny, because when he’s discussing terrorism, he has a blame America first attitude.

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Country Club? Really? Is that the best they can do? I (and about 10 million other righties, it seems) went over to Washington Monthly a few days ago to laugh at Kevin Drum & Brad DeLong scratching their empty noodles about why oh why doesn’t the media seem interested in unemployment under Obama. The only reply I saw to the mockery was one forlorn leftard wondering why all the righties were visiting — was it that the country club was closed that day?

OOOOOOH!!!!! ZINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purple Fury on May 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I don’t expect to hear “gangsta rap rhetoric” from a congressmen

And yet we do… all the time… from people with a lot more pull in Congress than the good Dr., who, if I need remind you, was not a congressman when those letters were written, by whomever they were written by.

He singles out blacks in the newsletters for the riots

Okay, dude, I was living in Oakland CA when those riots happen. Don’t let the politically correct hustlers fool you… it was blacks who were rioting, and I would say exclusively so.

and talks about how, in “his” words, how “fleet-footed” they are.

Yeah. Real Stormfront material there. Hardly The Turner Diaries.

You poke beehives with sticks, you’d best expect to get stung sometimes. And there ain’t no beehive worse than the Middle East.

You want an aggressive foreign policy, dedicated to Islamic nation-building in some of the worst cesspools in the world… fine, it’s your right to hold that political opinion, and there is nothing blatantly unconstitutional about it. But such a policy costs, and those costs aren’t just measured in terms of dollars and cents.

Some of us simply think the cost of such a Utopian foreign policy is way, WAY too high. And for this we are called traitors. When, in reality, we are merely realists.

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM

and talks about how, in “his” words, how “fleet-footed” they are.

Yeah. Real Stormfront material there. Hardly The Turner Diaries.

Reminds me of a joke that circulated at my high school:

“Why are blacks so good at basketball?”

“Because it’s the only sport that involves running, stealing, and shooting.”

Dark-Star on May 19, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Jenfidel on May 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

No. This wouldn’t make it right, either.

So, you would rather that Nazis have that $500, then Jewish citizens of America who are standing up for gun ownership; for what, I thought, was recognized as a universal liberty by those of us on the right?

What the hell is wrong with you?

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I didn’t say it wasn’t blacks rioting. I say he places the blame all on them. He doesn’t attempt to explain the cause or rationalize it like he does with terrorists.

It is stormfront material. That is what you hear all the time on that site. And worse stuff of course.

You understand that our founding fathers went to battle with Islamic terrorist? Were they poking their beehive too?

Narutoboy on May 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Dirty money used for clean purposes is still dirty money. But you got Jen’s argument (one of her few good ones), you’re just being nasty for the sake of being nasty.

The thing to do when handed donations by scum like on Stormfront or La Raza is to hand it right back with an emphatic “F–k you and the horse you rode in on.”

Dark-Star on May 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Dark-Star on May 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Dirty money used for clean purposes is still dirty money.

Nonsense. Money is money. The beautiful thing about cash is that it is anonymous. Put it in the pool, and nobody cares where it came from… just that they want some of it.

The thing to do when handed donations by scum like on Stormfront or La Raza is to hand it right back with an emphatic “F–k you and the horse you rode in on tell them you will do good acts with their money, and they were suckers to think otherwise.”

That’s more like it.

JohnGalt23 on May 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM

I suspect he would tell you to hold blacks criminally liable for riotous activities. I suspect he would also tell you that if you want to minimize it happening, don’t hire thugs for police officers who beat the crap out of blacks at the drop of a hat.

So, where exactly is the problem?

I hear that blacks are fleet of foot all the time, usually from black dudes. Once again, if that’s the worst Kirchick can come up with, I think we can hold off on holding the Nuremburg rallies in Lake Jackson for now.

You understand that our founding fathers went to battle with Islamic terrorist?

They sent naval vessels to clean up a bunch of pirates on the high seas, one of the duties Congress is expressly granted by the Constitution. However, I must have missed the part in the American history textbooks where they sent the Marines into Tripoli to occupy it and establish American style democracy as a shining example for the Islamic world.

No, that fool’s errand was conducted by GWB. And Ron Paul called him out on it. As well he should have.

JohnGalt23 on May 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Has Rand figured out who is responsible for 9/11 yet?

xblade on May 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM

JohnGalt23 on May 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Ron Paul “called” Bush on the entire WOT, not just the later war in Afghanistan.
And President Bush, as Commander-in-Chief did not have “occupying and establishing American-style democracy” as a primary military goal in Afghanistan.
Job #1 of our military is always killing bad guys, but in order to replace the Taliban and to prevent their return, a certain amount of guidance, shall we say, by our military
there is necessary to secure victory.

Dr. Paul would have had America sit home through not only the War on Terror, but WWI and II, as well.
He is pro-Arab, anti-Semitic and pro-German.
(Gee, you don’t think that having a large group of Neo-Nazis as supporters has anything to do with that, do you?

Jenfidel on May 20, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Not a fan of either Paul but then I don’t vote in their states. Should be interesting to watch this guy. What happens to him might be a crystal ball for future elections and the after bites.

jeanie on May 20, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I agree and disagree with Ron Paul and probably about the same with Rand. I agree that the govt needs to take a huge step back out of everyone’s life in almost every aspect, but at the same time we cannot try to be global isolationists either. Of course I think we stick our nose in other nations’ business too much as it is.

With that being said…. What is on Rand Paul’s head? It looks like a chip munk curled up on his head and died.

jeffn21 on May 20, 2010 at 9:05 AM