Video: The State Department hasn’t read the AZ bill, either; Update: Palin rips State for apologizing to China

posted at 2:20 pm on May 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When Laura Bush was First Lady, she made literacy her signature project. Maybe we need her to come back to the Obama White House and start offering literacy programs to high-ranking officials. State Department spokesman P. J. Crowley becomes the latest official to admit that he’s criticizing SB 1070 without having bothered to actually read the legislative language.  Fox’s Greg Jarret skewers Crowley and notes that, at the least, it’s consistent with the rest of the administration (via the Boss Emeritus):

Crowley committed an interesting Freudian slip at the 2:26 mark: “We were actually standing up to America.” That’s certainly what it looks like to most of us, too.

Update (AP): Here’s what I’ve been waiting for.

At first blush this revelation seemed unbelievable, but maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. This now seems “the Washington way” of doing things. If the party in power tells us they have to pass bills in order to find out what’s actually in them, they can also criticize bills (and divide the country with ensuing rhetoric) without actually reading them…

Arizona’s law, which just mirrors the federal law, simply allows the police to ask those whom they have already stopped for some form of identification like a driver’s license. By what absurd stretch of the imagination is that the moral equivalent of China’s lack of freedoms, population controls (including forced abortions), censorship, and arbitrary detentions?

Surely our U.S. Ambassador to China, John Huntsman, must disagree with the Obama Administration’s continued apology tour? We have nothing to apologize for. If Administration officials want to apologize to anyone, apologize to the American people for the fact that after a year and a half in office, they still haven’t done anything to secure our borders, and they join our President in making false suggestions about Arizona’s effort.

Incidentally, am I correct in thinking that not a single reporter has yet asked Obama, Hillary, Huntsman, or even Gibbs to address what Posner said to China about Arizona?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ted Mack would be proud. He could have filled an entire season with the Obama amature hour bafoons.

If anyone is owed an apology, it is the American people for the disaster called the “Obama Administration”.

I can’t wait for “the chickens……. to come home ……to roost”. Obama makes Carter look like Ronald Reagan.

saiga on May 18, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Couldn’t Oboober give up his Wed. night parties and invite the governor of AZ to the Oval Office to talk about the illegal immigration problem down there? Or maybe he could even fly to AZ and check it out himself.

That’s what a real leader would do.

NebCon on May 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM

hahaha,
in her latest, Palin really goes speedbag on Maobama.
Doing the work that Republicans refuse to do….

james23 on May 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Dr Evil on May 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I had the same thought this morning as I was listening to the F&F crew talking to Laura Ingraham about the bill…Steve Doocey kept referring to it as the illegal immigration bill. The context made it sound like it was an immigration bill which was illegal, not an anti-illegal immigration bill.

Chewy the Lab on May 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM

If only a reporter would say,

“You haven’t read the bill? Are you actually going to comment officially on something you haven’t read? Really? Get off my program and get me someone who takes their job seriously. It’s not like it came out yesterday. It’s only ten pages.”

“Let me know when we find someone who knows what they are talking about.”

Lily on May 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM

The O admin is far too busy to read a few pages of non-regime rantings. Too many backroom deals and underhanded tricks to work on. The meme says simply, if the Dems didn’t write it, it’s bad.

RalphyBoy on May 18, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Ask Tapper, I haven’t heard anything on Major either (is he ok? Haven’t seen him, maybe he’s on vacay).

Let’s see who casts the first stone and we’ll go from there. But kudos to Sarah as usual, for standing up for America. Palin/Peterson ’12!

ProudPalinFan on May 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM

readin’ is hard

—-

what a bunch of maroons…

cmsinaz on May 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Am I wasting time with my kids with their reading literacy goals for each month? I mean, c’mon…does it really, REALLY work out there in the executive jungle?

ProudPalinFan on May 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM

As someone said in a previous post Arizona should have written the law in Spanish so the regime could hire illegals to do the job they don’t want to do.

agmartin on May 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Exit question:

Second look at Sarahcuda?

Brian1972 on May 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM

You’d think our side has a few reporters. WHere the hell is Fox anyway?

promachus on May 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM

You’d think our side has a few reporters. WHere the hell is Fox anyway?

promachus on May 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Reporter, hell, just get me a fourth grader with attitude.

tcn on May 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I can feel the phrase “stuck on stupid” coming back again.
I guess I shouldn’t be amazed, but geez, you go on a talk show, you know other people in your admin have been skewered with the exact same question, the law is 10 pages, and you DON’T read it? Is is arrogance? Is it stupidity? Man, these guys take the cake.

gordo on May 19, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I wonder how you can have a “vigorous debate” about a law you haven’t taken the time to read? Are these people sane?

Wills on May 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM

The administration strategy here is as transparent and as childish as it could be: they won’t read the law because they know that if they do, they will see that it contains nothing controversial and their “moral” outrage, based on ignorance as it is, will fizzle out.

virgo on May 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Maybe this would help them:

It shouldn’t all that mentally taxing for someone of their obvious brilliance.

LarryG on May 19, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I was just thinking about my heritage. If I get stopped in traffic and asked for my ID, can I claim discrimination on the basis of my Cherokee ancestry? Oh, maybe they wouldn’t like my Irish blood, either. What a joke!!!

LarryG on May 19, 2010 at 12:42 PM