Palin hits Huntsman for dumping on Arizona’s immigration law in front of China

posted at 6:27 pm on May 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

A nice example of Palin’s highest use to the right at the moment. It’s not as a campaigner; the jury will be out on that until after the midterms. It’s not as a pundit; her Fox News segments are fun, but not much more. What she can potentially do that no other righty can do, Limbaugh and Beck included, is push stuff onto the media’s radar that they’d otherwise ignore. The story about that girls basketball team in Illinois being forbidden to travel to Arizona only really went national after she talked it up. Now this:

AZ’s pro-border security law invokes apology to China(w/its human rights violations)by U.S. State Dept;Surely Ambassador Huntsman disagrees?

Presumably a Facebook post about it is in the works; if it isn’t, it should be. The idea of State voluntarily introducing Arizona’s law into a discussion of human rights abuses with China may well be the single lowest moment on foreign policy that the administration’s had since The One was sworn in. Even Marc Ambinder, writing about Palin’s challenge to Huntsman, managed to choke down his bile towards conservatives to admit that it’s all but indefensible (“comparing China’s regular and brutal and unapologetic detention of political dissidents to the temporary detention of citizens caught without papers is … a tough case to make”). Never mind that, in poll after poll, 60 percent of the American public supports the law; never mind that Arizona’s law was made necessary by the federal government’s own abdication of its border duties; never mind that the Arizona statute is child’s play compared to China’s own immigration policies. The demagoguery simply will not stop, even when the audience is authoritarian communists. To have State bring the Chinese into this is actually much worse than having unhinged leftists scream about looming Nazism in Phoenix, because to some extent the Nazi crap is standard political discourse now. As disgusting as it is, it’s almost always empty rhetoric and everyone knows it. Not so here: Evidently there are elements at State that consider this law a transgression so ominous that they actually feel compelled to apologize to a totalitarian regime for it. And yet there’s been practically nothing said about it anywhere; even Ed’s post earlier barely cracked 100 comments. This should be a Category Five shinolastorm on the right, yet as far as I know, not a single reporter even raised it with Gibbs at today’s presser. As a wise man once said, where’s the outrage?

That imbecile Posner should be fired immediately and both Hillary and Huntsman should be asked to explain, in exquisite detail, why a law that’s not even being enforced yet should be offered as some sort of diplomatic sacrifice to the Orwellian heroes in Beijing. Exit question: Seriously, what have they done on foreign policy that’s more loathsome than this? Honduras, maybe?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

My problem with Sarah is that sometimes I disagree with her.

Mostly I like her.

But whoa unto the one who dares disagree with Sarah!

They get searched and smeared.

I post a lot. So from time to time I’m sure I’ve said lots of embarrassing things…

What have you all said? Anything anyone could use to portray you in a negative way? Or at least what they think of as negative?

This creepy portland person is very scary and you all seem to think that kind of behavior is perfectly fine!

You wait until someone does that to you. Your skin will crawl. You will feel some of what was done to Sarah.

All I did was say something negative about Sarah! And I get that?

From time to time I also say nice things about Sarah. Sometimes I agree with her…

Why did this become about me?

Why did I get accused of some nefarious agenda for disagreeing?

Are opinions that differ from yours an excuse for that? Somehow that seems really not conservative to me. Much more like liberals who think they should control everyone.

Taking things out of context that way… that could be called lying.

And what exactly was so wrong anyway?

I have said I don’t agree with Sarah all the time. I have no agenda.

You are the most intolerant bunch I’ve ever incounter on Hot Air. You have a very narrow view of conservative.

I owe you no explanation. You agree that Huntsman should resign over this. I don’t. I don’t think he did anything wrong.

Smear me some more. Trolls.

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM

This is just another example of the Obama’s adminisrtation never ending battle against the concept of American Exceptionalism. In their eyes we are nothing special and China is just another country. Like Belgium or New Zealand. They may have gulags but really, how many people on the East side of Manhattan even know what a gulag is? If the hip people don’t know or care, why should anyone else? What’s important is pointing out America’s flaws, real and imagined.

Fred 2 on May 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Who knew there was such a thing as a Huntsmanista? Probably only one of them in the whole country, but they’re settled on this thread.

VidOmnia on May 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM

VidOmnia on May 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Oh my heck! I barely know Huntsman! I just don’t think he should resign over this! Palin started it and now people are calling for him to step down! I think that’s not fair!

They weren’t even his words.

Oh why bother. Somehow I have learned that I have an agenda to say bad things about Sarah or overthrow the country…or something… and I have Huntsmania.

I’m sorry I saw an injustice and tried to defend it.

If Huntsman resigns over this it will be Palin’s doing. I guess that’s okay with all of you to take the heads of people who might threaten her twenty years down the road.

I should have known better than to enter the insainty of a Palin thread.

I just forgot that disagreement isn’t allowed here.

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Gawd Petunia, you are exhausting. Stamp your feet much when you don’t get your own way at home?

Sarah is hunting RINO, and the rinocerii are in hiding. Bennett gone; Huntsman targeted. Now, where is that candy-ass RINO Mitt Romneycare? Come out, come out, wherever you are. Mama Grizzly wants a word with you….

james23 on May 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Best quote of the thread. Kudos.

karenhasfreedom on May 18, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I don’t think he did anything wrong.

Smear me some more. Trolls.

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM

You’re the troll.

Huntsman had no business-NONE-bringing up domestic (American) issues to the Chinese, who are flagrant human rights abusers and certainly not lenient with illegal immigrants themselves.

Guess who might be among the illegal immigrants crossing into the USA from Mexico? Chinese

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 12:13 AM

As far as anyone knows Huntsman didn’t. But you wouldn’t know that from this thread.

If it turns out that Huntsman did well that is different.

That is what is so bad about this.

Huntsman didn’t do it. (As far as I know) He just didn’t contradict Pozner… which as Ambassador isn’t really his job!

Doesn’t anyone care about the truth? They just jump on the band wagon?

This is not fair.

Allah I’m ashamed of you. You haven’t straightened out the misconception you started!

Huntsman has been called on to step down! Because of what someone else said in his presence! How is that fair?

This is a witch hunt now.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:26 AM

And it seems I am the witch of the day.

So burn me.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:30 AM

And it seems I am the witch of the day.

So burn me.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Drama Queen.

portlandon on May 18, 2010 at 12:37 AM

No, that’s not correct: As far as anyone knows, Huntsman did, or Sarah wouldn’t have directed her Tweet to him.

I think Huntsman did do it.
And his job is to represent the USA, its citizens and our interests in China to the Chinese, not to help out Maobama with his world “America apologizes” tour!
To what end?
What benefit do we get from Huntsman and Posner misprepresenting U.S. domestic politics to the Chinese?
More toasters and blenders from them or what???

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Huntsman should step down, if he has a conscience and an ounce of love for this country!
It’s fair because he’s become an anti-American creep who cannot fairly represent me and my fellow citizens’ interests in China.
He works for us, not for the Chinese, La Raza or LULAC!

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 12:47 AM

portlandon on May 18, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Go away.
There are really very few people in this world I don’t like.
You are one of them.

You make this really hard to say:

In reviewing the evidence. It really wasn’t Sarah who accused Huntsman. It was Allahpundit. And that guy from
Powerline. I read the stuff that guy said as a quote from Sarah.

Sarah didn’t help, but she didn’t really accuse Huntsman of saying what Posner said. She has every right to question whether Huntsman agrees.

So all that stuff about gossip, and accusing… switch it to Allahpundit and the guy from Powerline.

I still don’t think Huntsman should step down unless he did something wrong.

I still don’t think it is his job to correct the policies of this President.

Being an Ambassador means you try to stay out of politics while you are Ambassador. Like when you are in the military. It is serving the country in a foreign land.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:54 AM

This whole brouhaha about Arizona is nothing but race-baiting by the Obama administration to motivate Hispanic voters. Our “post-racial” President is in fact a vile race-baiter of the first water.

lonesomecharlie on May 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 12:47 AM

And the truth of the situation just doesn’t matter because…?

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM

And the truth of the situation just doesn’t matter because…?

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Of course the truth matters!
But Sarah doesn’t strike out blindly or with too little information, I can assure you.
If you Tweeted her concern to Huntsman, he’s got some major ‘splainin’ to do.

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM

If youshe Tweeted her concern to Huntsman, he’s got some major ’splainin’ to do.

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Oops! Sorry! FIFM.

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 1:00 AM

And the truth of the situation just doesn’t matter because…?

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM
Of course the truth matters!
If you Tweeted her concern to Huntsman, he’s got some major ’splainin’ to do.

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM

I find it appalling that eveyone assumes Huntsman agrees that America is as bad a China. Why would he think that?

But hey, Posner said it so it must be true. A guy like him wouldn’t have any motive at all to make Huntsman look bad. Or to hide himself behind Huntsman’s reputation.

I think it takes an already made up mind to assume Huntsman agrees with Posner.

I don’t really know much about Huntsman but he has been an Ambassador before and he has been a Governer and he hasn’t shown any Anti-American tendencies before… I mean he was a popular Governer in the most consevative of states… but hey if Posner says it… must be true.

And after rereading what Sarah said she actually didn’t accuse Huntsman. I was attributing another guy’s words to her. Someone said that earlier but I thought they were just being typical Sarahites.

But she did ask him to clarify his position… which I don’t really think in his post as Ambassador is that fair.

It’s is like asking a Major to openly disagree with a General in the middle of a war.

And I also don’t see how the one and only possibly sane voice to the Chinese, the one and only one, who isn’t anti-American, should be forced to step down because of something someone else said.

I don’t see how the country wins by getting rid of Huntsman.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Posner has plenty to gain by making Huntsman look bad because Huntsman’s a Republican (and somewhat of a Conservative) and as such, was one of the Maobama Administration’s few nods to bi-partinship in appointments.
And of course, Posner’s hiding Huntman’s reputation which is considerably finer than Posner’s in all respects.

I don’t see how the country wins by getting rid of Huntsman.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM

If he did what we think he did, the country gains a lot by getting rid of him.
He needs to “lose face” to the Chinese for making such an un-American statement and going along with Posner.
The real question is: What does the country win by having Huntsman in the first place? Answer: Nothing.
And we’re not at war with China, whereas we are in something like a war with 20+ million illegal aliens here at home.

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I disagree. I want Huntsman in China. I am absolutely sure he did not become an anti-American! How could people think that? What has he ever done to make you think he would be capable of that?

Yet if Pozner says it. Come on. If Huntsman was in the room… assuming the conversation was anything near what Pozner said it was… I just can’t see Huntsman saying America is bad.

He might say we once had trouble with racism and had to work to overcome it. Slavery is real.

But really? All it takes is one comment from a sleazebag like Pozner and the reputation this guy has spent his life building is just gone?

When Huntsman took this job I think he knew he’d never be President. He took this job because he cared about America more than his personal ambitions. He was uniquely qualified.

I believe Huntsman believes wholeheartedly in American Exceptionalism. It is in the air in Utah.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 1:44 AM

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Maybe so, but it isn’t in the air in China!

Look, we can be pretty sure that Huntsman, along with Posner, led the anti-American bashing with the Chinese.
For you to defend him *just because he’s a fellow Mormon* is even more sad than those who exhibit their loyalty to Sarah Palin that you condemn so lustily.

I don’t care who’s bashing my country or what church they go to, but they’d better stop it (they work for me, on my dime) and realize they most certainly do NOT speak for me!

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Whatever. You believe the words of Pozner more than the acts of Huntsman over many years. I think you are predisposed to believe the worst.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Does this really make sense to someone? Huntsman? He should discredit the President or the State Department? I have serious doubts that Huntsman has a clue about the AZ law. He’s living in China. And it’s not his job to embarrass the President there. Quite the opposite.

In fact if he did it what Palin suggests that might be treason to purposely embarrass the President who sent you to represent the country. While in a foreign country she wants him to launch a political vendetta against the President.

I usually agree with stuff Palin says but I’m not sure she understands what the job of ambassador is. Which is sort of scary.

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 7:06 PM

You really should study more and comment less.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them aid and comfort.” Article III Section 3. United States Constitution.

I long for the time, before this Chicago street thug was elected, when dissent was the “highest form of patriotism.”

Sarah was right for calling these clowns out. Sadly, she’s the only one with the balls to do it.

Romney, Huckaphony, and the other “flavors of the month” are all hiding.

gary4205 on May 18, 2010 at 2:24 AM

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM

I’m more concerned with what Huntsman’s doing now, not having enjoyed his governorship because I don’t live in UT.

If Sarah Palin is concerned about Huntsman, one of her former GOP governor colleagues, I’m concerned.

Frankly, it gives me no joy, petunia.
With all the problems the Obama régime has given us, we didn’t need one more and certainly not from one of the few Republicans in his regime, like Huntsman.

Not every one is as enamored of Huntsman as you, Glenn Beck and the other Mormons are. Sorry!

Jenfidel on May 18, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Taking things out of context that way… that could be called lying.

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Since this is what you are doing with Sarah, I guess, by your own standards, that would make you a liar.

Your only reason for existing is to troll, and derail threads. Huntsman abandoned the GOP when he signed on with Obama. His career is over, at least as a Republican.

Obama is the most corrupt human being to ever step foot in the White House, there is not enough soap, nor will there ever be enough soap, to wash the stench of Obama off of anyone associated with his regime.

Now be gone with you.

gary4205 on May 18, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Gotta go with gary4205 on this one. When you latch onto Obama’s coattails, you get covered by the filth he wallows in. Either you are part of it or you turn a blind eye to it. In either case, what good are you afterwards? There may be good people trying to do good things in this “most corrupt administration ever”. Doesn’t matter. By seeing the truth and not walking away, you condone the worst of it. Huntsman is finished as a Republican. He can salvage some honor and quit and walk away or pull a Specter.

SKYFOX on May 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM

The left is using this AZ law for all it’s worth. It’s the best thing they have in their arsenal for the elections. The DOJ should have had it reviewed and made a decision about suing the state before now. Must be waiting until it’s actually implemented so they can find an injured party for the msm to interview. Huntsman is an American success story. He got off the porch to run with the big dogs and found himself overtaken by the hounds from he!!.

Kissmygrits on May 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Speaking as someone who doesn’t really care for Palin (I don’t hate Palin, I just dislike the character she plays on TV), I’ve come to notice that the most rabidly anti-Palin people at HotAir are the most religious. They’re typically either 1) Evangelical Huckabee shills or 2) Mormon Romney shills. Unless, of course, they’re Obamabots, which is a whole new level of blind religiosity.

Who knew Palin could bring the diametrically opposed forces of Huckabee and Romney together in aimless, puppet-like hatred of herself! Truly, ’tis a miracle.

Lehosh on May 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Hmmmm.

@ petunia

You are irrelevant to my life.

memomachine on May 18, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Yes, Honduras is much more egregious:

- actual action taken
- against a small poor weak country
- which goes on and on and on even though the admin’s claims have been thoroughly debunked.

But Posner’s statement makes an outrageous soundbite if someone will make use of it? George Will? Charles the Hammer?

YehuditTX on May 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Taking things out of context that way… that could be called lying.

petunia on May 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Now be gone with you.

gary4205 on May 18, 2010 at 2:53 AM

\

Actually. You are right.

I mistakenly thought that Sarah had said alot more about this than she did.

Allah said she was the only one talking about it. She wasn’t. I read a lot of stupid stuff and I attributed it to Sarah. I was wrong.

I repeat I was wrong. Sarah only asked Huntsman to clarify. All the other stuff came from others. I was wrong.

If Sarah had said all that other crap, I would stand by what I said. But she didn’t. So yeah I was guilty of what I accused her of… putting words in other people’s mouth and judging them by other people’s words…

Okay? Get it? I realize now that Sarah didn’t do what I thought she did.

Who else is honest enough to own up to their mistakes… crickets.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Who else is honest enough to own up to their mistakes… crickets.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

“Only a brave person is willing to honestly admit, and fearlessly to face, what a sincere and logical mind discovers.”- Rodan of Alexandria

portlandon on May 18, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Huntsman is a RINO to the core and deserves to be taken down.

Remember his endorsement of McCain?
How about his global warming partnership with the Governator?

Good for Sarah. Make these lukewarm phonies belly up to the bar or get out.

sidemeat on May 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Sarah is uniquely positioned as attack dog for Conservatives in that her feeling becomes “what else can the media possibly do to me?”

The MSM created this monster, now they have to live with it.

PJ Emeritus on May 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM

gary4205 on May 18, 2010 at 2:53 AM
I did not mean to say I think Huntsman is a traitor for taking the Ambassadorship as so many here think.

I meant to admit I attributed words to Palin that she didn’t say. And attacked her unfairly.

It has yet to be proven Huntsman said anything like what Pozner accuses him of saying.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM

james23 on May 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Damn. That’s a lot of Utah-based rinocisity.

thomashton on May 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Damn. That’s a lot of Utah-based rinocisity.

thomashton on May 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Agendas.

petunia on May 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Damn. That’s a lot of Utah-based rinocisity.

thomashton on May 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Sarah is simply Choosing The Right.

portlandon on May 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Palin’s Facebook Response:

On Fox News this morning, State Department Spokesman P.J. Crowley became the third Obama administration official in short succession to admit that he hadn’t actually bothered to read Arizona’s 10-page long “secure the border” bill before condemning it and criticizing Americans who support Arizona’s necessary efforts to do the job the Obama Administration should be doing. Crowley’s statement follows similar admissions from Attorney General Eric Holder and Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano.

At first blush this revelation seemed unbelievable, but maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. This now seems “the Washington way” of doing things. If the party in power tells us they have to pass bills in order to find out what’s actually in them, they can also criticize bills (and divide the country with ensuing rhetoric) without actually reading them.

Still I can’t help but feel outraged on behalf of Arizona’s citizens for the incompetence shown by these Administration officials. Arizonans have the courage to do what the Obama administration has failed to do in its first year and a half in office – namely secure our border and enforce our federal laws. And as a result, Arizonans have been subjected to a campaign of baseless accusations by the same people who freely admit they haven’t a clue about what they’re actually campaigning against.

The absolute low point of this campaign came last Friday, when a U.S. State Department delegation met with Chinese negotiators to discuss human rights. Apparently, our State Department felt it necessary to make their Chinese guests feel less bad about their own record of human rights abuses by repeatedly atoning for American “sins” – including, it seems, the Arizona immigration/pro-border security law. Asked if Arizona came up at all during the meeting, Assistant Secretary of State Michael Posner answered:

“We brought it up early and often. It was mentioned in the first session, and as a troubling trend in our society and an indication that we have to deal with issues of discrimination or potential discrimination, and that these are issues very much being debated in our own society.”

Note that he said “We brought it up” – not the Chinese, but the U.S. State Department’s own delegation. Instead of grilling the Chinese about their appalling record on human rights, the State Department continued the unbelievable apology tour by raising “early and often” Arizona’s decision to secure our border.

Arizona’s law, which just mirrors the federal law, simply allows the police to ask those whom they have already stopped for some form of identification like a driver’s license. By what absurd stretch of the imagination is that the moral equivalent of China’s lack of freedoms, population controls (including forced abortions), censorship, and arbitrary detentions?

Surely our U.S. Ambassador to China, John Huntsman, must disagree with the Obama Administration’s continued apology tour? We have nothing to apologize for. If Administration officials want to apologize to anyone, apologize to the American people for the fact that after a year and a half in office, they still haven’t done anything to secure our borders, and they join our President in making false suggestions about Arizona’s effort.

- Sarah Palin