Hey, let’s build a mosque at Ground Zero; Update: 9/11 families oppose

posted at 4:25 pm on May 14, 2010 by Allahpundit

“So, in the ruins of a building reduced to rubble in the name of Islam,” writes Mark Steyn, “a temple to Islam will arise.” Indeed. And yet, as repulsive as this is, so ingeniously does it exploit liberal pieties about multiculturalism that I almost want to congratulate the people behind it for their canniness. You know exactly how this debate’s going to go. If we don’t let them build it, we’re blaming all Muslims for the actions of the tiny minority who espouse etc etc, so let’s strike a blow for tolerance instead and greenlight a mega-mosque at the site of the world’s most famous pit of Koranically inspired human misery. Think of it as a way for peaceful Muslims to contribute to rebuilding lower Manhattan, not as … a triumphalist icon that’s going to give every jihadist fanatic in the universe an orgasm when he hears about it.

Scheduled opening date: 9/11/11. To show solidarity with America, you see.

Plans to bring what one critic calls a “monster mosque” to the site of the old Burlington Coat Factory building, at a cost expected to top $100 million, moved along for months without a peep. All of a sudden, even members of the community board that stupidly green-lighted the mosque this month are tearing their hair out.

Paul Sipos, member of Community Board 1, said a mosque is a fine idea — someplace else.

“If the Japanese decided to open a cultural center across from Pearl Harbor, that would be insensitive,” Sipos told me. “If the Germans opened a Bach choral society across from Auschwitz, even after all these years, that would be an insensitive setting. I have absolutely nothing against Islam. I just think: Why there?“…

Called Cordoba House, the mosque and center is the brainchild of the American Society for Muslim Advancement. Executive director Daisy Khan insists it’s staying put.

“For us, it’s a symbol, a platform that will give voice to the silent majority of Muslims who suffer at the hands of extremists. A center will show that Muslims will be part of rebuilding lower Manhattan,” said Khan, adding that Cordoba will be open to everyone.

Says Ace, “Someone who cared for what the dhimmi thought at all would recognize this as singularly, incandescently inappropriate.” My hunch is that we’re going to end up playing a game with the left about this, as even though most of them won’t admit it, the obvious provocation here will bug many of them too. (Especially lefty New Yorkers.) They’ll tut-tut about wingnut overreaction and tolerance and so forth because that’s just how they roll, but secretly plenty of them will be perfectly fine with conservatives kicking up a media fuss until the mosque is forced to relocate. Further to that end, here’s a fun tidbit from Pajamas Media about Faisal Abdul Rauf, the mosque’s developer:

Rauf has often directly contradicted his seemingly tolerant and peace-loving pronouncements with harsh, antagonistic assessments of the U.S. In his May 7 Khutbah (Muslim sabbath sermon), delivered at 1:00 p.m. at 45 Park Place in Manhattan, Rauf implied that Muslims did not perpetrate 9/11 at all, according to writer Madeline Brooks, who attended (26): “Some people say it was Muslims who attacked on 9/11 … ” he stated, before trailing off into another topic.

He also expressed this view in an interview with 60 Minutes aired on Sept. 30, 2001 as well (27):

The attacks were “a reaction against the U.S. government politically, where we espouse principles of democracy and human rights, [yet] … ally ourselves with oppressive regimes in many of these countries. … [U.S.] policies were an accessory to the crime that happened.

If he doesn’t think Muslims were responsible, why’s he so keen to build at Ground Zero? Add that query to the media fuss, please. Exit question: Every major politician in New York State, from Schumer and Gillibrand on down, objects to holding the KSM trial here because it’s a security risk. Any worries that a giant new mosque at Ground Zero might also, perhaps, pose a security risk given what a powerful symbolic draw it’ll be for triumphalist radicals?

Update: The media fuss cometh. One footnote: Apparently it’s not a mosque but rather a cultural center which includes prayer space, among other functions. Which changes nothing.

“I think that it is incredibly insensitive and audacious really for them to build a mosque, not only on that site, but to do it specifically so that they could be in proximity to where that atrocity happened,” said Burlingame, who is co-founder of 9/11 Families for a Safe and Strong America…

Rauf insists the effort is meant to help heal the wounds of 9/11, “We’ve approached the community because we want this to be an example of how we are cooperating with the members of the community, not only to provide services but also to build a new discourse on how Muslims and non-Muslims can cooperate together to push back against the voices of extremism.”

But Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, says there are more productive ways to fight Islamic extremism.

“Even when they have the resources, they are using it for a place of worship, a cultural center for organizations,” he said. They are not using it for a counterterrorism research center.

If this is all about “healing the wounds,” then presumably there’ll be no objection to moving the center if the public makes clear that it doesn’t want to be “healed” in this particular way, right?

Comments

Imagine there’s no Islam
It’s hard but you can try
No suicide hijackers coming down at us
Above us only sky
Imagine all those people
Still alive today… …

Imagine there’s no Islamic countries
It’s hard but you can try
No Mohammad for them to kill or die for
And no Imams and no mosques too
Imagine all the Christians, Jews and Infidels
Living life without them… …

You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday all dhimmis will join us
And the non-Islamic world will be as one

Imagine no Burkhas and no Stonings
I wonder if you can
No need for Medina or Meca
A brotherhood of non-Islamic woman and man
Imagine all the people
Living without Sharia… …

You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday all dhimmis will join us
And the non-Islamic world will be as one

MB4 on May 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Its just that this whole thing is being used to compound this insane theory that some muslim conspiracy is working in NY real estate to win some glorious propaganda victory for islam. That’s just f*cking bonkers.

ernesto on May 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM

So, it’s your strawman you have a problem with. Maybe you should have concentrated more on that rather than the details of a neighborhood you aren’t familiar with in detail.

exception on May 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

In that case, let the thing be built.

ddrintn on May 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Mohammad’s followers, stay away from me
Mohammad’s followers, let me be
Don’t come bringing explosives through my airplane door
I don’t want to see your evil faces no more
I got more productive things to do
Than spend my blood and treasure trying to civilize you
Now Muslims, stay away
Muslims, listen what I say

Mohammad’s followers, get away from me
Mohammad’s followers, let me be
Don’t come migrating through my county’s open door
I don’t want to see your Burkas and Korans no more
If Mohammad’s words for you can hypnotize
Then go gouge out your own eyes
Now Muslims, stay away
Muslims, listen what I say

Mohammad’s followers, I said get away
Mohammad’s followers, listen what I say
Don’t come bringing explosives through my airplane door
I don’t want to see your evil face no more
I don’t need your conquest dreams
I don’t need your shariah schemes
If Mohammad’s words for you can hypnotize
Then go gouge out your own eyes
Now Muslims, get away
Muslims, listen what I say
Muslims, stay away from me
Muslims, let me be

I gotta go
I gotta getta away
Think I gotta go
Trying to civilize you would just be going astray
I’m gonna leave you Islamic world
I’m gonna leave you Islamic world
I’m gonna leave you Islamic world
I’m gonna leave you Islamic world
Bye bye, bye bye
Bye bye, bye bye
Mohammad’s followers
You’re no good for me
I’m never going to civilize you
Looking at you right in the eye
Tell you what I’m gonna do
I’m gonna leave you Muslims
You know I gotta go
I’m gonna leave you Muslims
I gotta go
I gotta go

I gotta go
Yeah!

P.S.

If I have to come back it won’t be with a band
It will be with the Strategic Air Command
Yeah!

MB4 on May 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Well now lets see what people feel about them waging a religious war, because what defines that more than blowing something up and replacing it with a sign of your religion.

This would be like us bombing the holiest mosque in Iraq and replacing it with a giant Crucifix, or in Allah’s case a giant Ipad.

Rbastid on May 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM

ernesto, 9/11 and Ground Zero and WTC and the events that happened and the impact on the national psyche and subsequent wars fought and lives lost and efforts undertaken are *not* the sole province of New Yorkers, bub. This is not just a NYC issue. Quit being stupid.

Midas on May 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Oh great now us New Yorkers have to pray for the despicable cur Sheldon Silver (State Assembly Speaker the WTC is in his district) to put the kibosh on this thing, c’mon Shelly you can do it.

Here’s his office address, trust me this guy can stop it cold:

District Office
250 Broadway
Suite 2307
New York, NY 10007
212-312-1420

ac1 on May 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Sorry to break it to you Upper Canadian…it is.

Caper29 on May 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM

YYZ is a liberal asshat, but Toronto is great.

Screw you.

You-Eh-Vee on May 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Has NYC turned into France? Is this surrender?

faraway on May 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM

They done hop skipped France. At least France’s White Flag has a White Cross on it. NYC’s White Flag has a White Crescent Moon on it.

MB4 on May 14, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Rbastid on May 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM

This isn’t what’s happening, though…

ernesto on May 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I’m sure that when Libya is given responsibility for human rights at the UN, then they will act responsibly at home. That’s the worlds dream (tard world) isn’t it?

[email protected] on May 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I’m wondering why everyone feels the need to point out that council placements seem counterintuitive. Its accepted by the international affairs establishment that sometimes the best way to bring certain country’s practices into the spotlight is to have them sit on a council or committee that addresses such issues. Nowhere for them to hide, if you will. I mean, if you accept the premise that international institutions should exist and draw as full a membership as possible, this sort of maneuvering should make at least some sense. Now if the idea of international institutions makes you angry, then its not that the UN has Libya on a human rights council that should be getting you any more or less mad.

ernesto on May 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Ernesto… didn’t this embarrassing little coincidence not strike you as the hand of God gently telling you not to retard the thought process of the thread with your liberal drivel?

[email protected] on May 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM

The only religious structure that should go up at Ground Zero is the one that was DESTROYED ON 9/11; St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church. Why has this never even come up on this thread?

OlympicLeprechaun on May 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM

OlympicLeprechaun on May 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM

google image of proposed Cordoba mosque in relation to Ground Zero

heroyalwhyness on May 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Excellent. Thank you.

speed911 on May 14, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Cordoba – in the Middle Ages it was a capital of an Islamic caliphate

faraway on May 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I’ve had conversations with several New Yorkers and several of them have shared Ernesto’s sentiment. But, most of them do not. Ernesto’s attitude is completely ignorant, elitest and closed-minded. It’s also hypocritical in most cases. I mean really, here he is, on a noted right-leaning blog, bitching and moaning about conservative ideas, all the while spouting that the 9/11 attacks and the WTC area are none of our business. Ernesto, turn off your computer and MYOB.

speed911 on May 14, 2010 at 7:17 PM

[email protected] on May 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Oh trust me, I’ve never taken anything you’ve ever said or done seriously.

ernesto on May 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM

The caliphate expands through dhimmitude.

onlineanalyst on May 14, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Midas on May 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM

There is an area designated for a memorial–which the state hasn’t built yet. We aren’t going to federalize all of lower Manhattan for the purpose of memorialization. The people in lower Manhattan have to continue working and living their lives, in part to pay for the cost of the new WTC complex.

dedalus on May 14, 2010 at 7:27 PM

If I have to come back it won’t be with a band
It will be with the Strategic Air Command
Yeah!

MB4 on May 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Semper Fi.!

Johan Klaus on May 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Ground Zero Mosque Developer and Muslim Brotherhood

Alyssa Lappen exposes the ‘moderate’ Faisal Abdul Rauf, as the wolf in sheep’s clothing behind the planned lower Manhattan mega-mosque -[w/ample footnotes for further exploration.]

heroyalwhyness on May 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM

The caliphate expands through dhimmitude.

onlineanalyst on May 14, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Bingo!

Johan Klaus on May 14, 2010 at 7:35 PM

All good Muslims are very glad and so encouraged to see that New York City is submitting to Islamic law, Allah be Praised.

Next will be Congress, we already have the White House, and then Jerusalem and then Houston and Dallas and Memphis and Phoenix and Salt lake City … … … and then Hotair. All good Muslims are so happy. Allah be Praised.

محمد اغتصاب الفتيات الصغيرات. وكان والده بقرة. كانت والدته خنزير. أحمدي نجاد الماعز الاغتصاب

Aleph on May 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Ground Zero Mosque Developer and Muslim Brotherhood

heroyalwhyness on May 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Excellent spadework Your Majesty.

ontherocks on May 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM

but Toronto is great.

You-Eh-Vee on May 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM

That’s what everyone from Torana tells us anyway.

Caper29 on May 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM

[Comment deleted, user warned — Ed]

Dork B. on May 14, 2010 at 7:57 PM

You can’t blame them for trying. It’s not like there’s a muslim conspiracy to emigrate in massive numbers to NYC as instructed by their clergy. It’s not like they see it as a religious duty to put NYC at the top of the list of western cities to overwhelm demographically. It’s nothing like that.

pc on May 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM

via Atlas: 911 MOSQUE COMMUNITY BOARD MEETING MAY 25 -BE THERE!

Last week, the finance committee, composed of 12 people, voted unanimously in support the mosque after Imam Rauf and his wife Daisy Khan, made a presentation, no one knew about it, no announcement was The matter will now go to the full committee (more than 40 people). The full committee will be meeting on May 25.

WE NEED YOU ALL TO ATTEND TO VOICE YOUR OPPOSITION.

CB1 has no legal authority. Their “approval” or disapproval is in no way binding on the matter, but

the media will be there

and we need to send a message to Rauf, Khan and Mayor Bloomberg:

This is wrong.

This will do terrible harm to the 9/11 family community.
5/25 CB #1 Monthly Meeting – 6:00 PM
Location: Three Legged Dog Art and Technology Center
80 Greenwich Street (at Rector Street)

heroyalwhyness on May 14, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I said “when his eyes are closed”…as in closing one’s eyes to the light…as in deliberate ignorance.

Saltysam on May 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM

We agree, Saltysam; sorry not to have quoted you exactly.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2010 at 8:34 PM

They got a lot of nerve. This thing needs to be moved.

Urban Infidel on May 14, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Maybe we got it all wrong.
Americans want a memorial for the victims @ ground 0

Muslims want a memorial for the terrorists @ ground 0

Preferences my friends

macncheez on May 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Midas on May 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Here are the backgrounds of two of the “New Yorkers” killed in the 9/11 attacks. It’s interesting to note that my tiny Blue State of New Hampshire placed #10 in total number of 9/11 victims killed-including one of the cockpit crew.

John A. Ogonowski was a pilot and an agricultural activist. He was piloting American Airlines Flight 11 when it was hijacked and flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center as part of the 9/11 attacks. A resident of Dracut, Massachusetts, Ogonowski was a leading figure on behalf of farming in Massachusetts, particularly for immigrant farmers from Cambodia, whom he assisted as part of the New Entry Sustainable Farming Project.

John’s First Officer (aka “co-pilot”) on that flight was Tom McGuinness, from right here in New Hampshire.

Interestingly enough, the pilot of Pan Am Flight 103 (Lockerbie) was also from New Hampshire.

Del Dolemonte on May 14, 2010 at 9:51 PM

When debris is falling from 80 or 90 stories up, it travels. When you’re standing at ground level, all you can see from 45 Park Place is the gigantic building in front of it, or down Park Place in either direction…which runs east to west, not north to south.

This mosque won’t be at Ground Zero.

ernesto on May 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I’m well familiar with lower Manhattan, as I lived there between 1966 (before the WTCs were built) and 1969 (when they were well under construction). We used to in fact go shopping along “Radio Row”, which was razed for the WTC project. So I walked those streets long before your parents even met.

A substantial amount of debris would have had to fall on this building to render it unusable. Which means it was too close for comfort.

Del Dolemonte on May 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM

saltysam

If you can find me one official 9/11 “report” that uses the words “bomb” or “bombing” I am open for discussion.

Del Dolemonte on May 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Daisy Khan is a damn cool name.

exception on May 14, 2010 at 10:08 PM

We cannot let this stand. The buildings haven’t gone back up and it has been 8 + years. Build a monumnet to America, first, last, and always. Void of apology, filled with the power and faith that is OURS.

moyeti on May 14, 2010 at 10:15 PM

And the program is called the “Cordoba Initiative.”

Why Cordoba? The mosque at Cordoba was built atop a Christian church to symbolize Islam’s domination.

PattyJ on May 14, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I have 0% problem with them building a Mosque, IF they have no problem with a branch of the Smithsonian Museum of US History being opened in the heart of Mecca, with free access to the Museum by people of any religion, of course.

Jones Zemkophill on May 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

America, I am sure Muslims will start loving you now…… NOT!!

If this is how incredibly insensitive a “tolerant” Muslim (who tolerates the unbearable fact that you are a Kaffir) behaves, you can now understand why fanatic Islamic wingnuts wage jihad the way they do.

Having the nerve and the guts to strike the enemy in his own den is the hallmark of Islamic jihadists – and America is falling over itself in unalloyed dhimmitude.

Remember these are the same liberals who made such a hue and cry over the Cross at the Mojave Desert – they have no problems with a building a temple to the religion that inspires jihadists world wide.

The Islamic Jihadist-Leftist nexus is becoming too difficult to ignore. Both of them are fundamentalist idealogies borne out of hatred and will tolerate no dissent – it seems like a perfect match.

nagee76 on May 15, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Haven’t read through all the comments, so excuse me if I’m repeating but…we’re closing in on 10 years since this happened. There’s still a big hole in the ground. Do these idiots not think the people who are responsible for this have enough to celebrate already? If my grandchildren some day go to New York, they’ll probably be able to take pictures of a 10 acre concrete slab in the middle of downtown.

Kelligan on May 15, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Symbolism is important in Islam. Think for a minute how Muslims around the world are going to perceive this. The ground that a mosque occupies is considered sacred, and is considered to belong to Muslims for all time. Several people have commented about the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. That’s exactly the point of it. They did the same thing all thoughout Spain and the Balkans. Every church that was converted to a mosque became Islamic holy ground forever. So now, by building a mosque at ground zero, they’re claiming the land for Islam, forever. It makes a mockery of what happened and the innocent people who were killed there.
There’s a part of me that can’t believe this is happening, but the rest of me is like, why is this a surprise? I just hope we’re able to stop this.

Dan859 on May 15, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Why don’t the proponnent of the “religion of peace” feel obligated to exercise some cultural sensitivity and not place a mosque at the site? Why does that burden always fall on us evil American Christians? Stand and fight….this cannot happen.

Huckabye-Romney on May 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Since the Ground Zero Mosque is there to heal the wounds, why isn’t it rendering any help to victims of the Muslim attack, eh?

You know, what I hope doesn’t happen is all those tens of thousands of friends and family members in the Manhattan area who lost loved ones in the Sep 11 attacks become so outraged by this insult offered by these arrogant Muslim bastards that they mob the Ground Zero Mosque with pitchforks and torches and set it afire.

Because, you know, that would be a shame. A damned shame.

Tantor on May 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM

This is a perfect example of why dhimmitude has been so successful. Islamic thugs get to be wolves in sheep clothing and dimwits think it’s some sort of sign of peace.

There is no way that any sort of gathering place that honors Islam, their made up god of war, or the carpet salesman that made the whole thing up should be built anywhere near this site. Wake up you New York liberals schmucks!!!!!!!

Mosque in English equals Islamic military command center.

Hening on May 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I guess it serves us right for helping out muslims in trouble in Bosnia when Europe would barely lift a finger for Europe.

I forgot. Europe never lifts a finger/hand for itself. We seem to be happy to do all the heavy lifting and then some.

Where is Vlad the Impaler when you need him? Charles Martel was too civil by far . . . .

Oh how I wish for another Lepanto . . . .

Those were the days my friend I thought they`d never end . . . .

Sherman1864 on May 16, 2010 at 4:46 AM

Don’t let this story die Allah, Cordoba was the capital of the Islamic Caliphate in Andulusia. FFS think of that, think of the symbolism of that. It has to be stopped, you’re a NYC’er just like me Allah, keep updates on this one coming.

ac1 on May 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM