Crist: You know who’d make a “fun” SCOTUS pick?

posted at 12:55 pm on May 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sometimes, people try a little too hard to demonstrate that they’ve changed — and Charlie Crist seems to have fallen into that trap.  When he met with the St. Petersburg Times editors yesterday to explain his independent bid after having flopped at the Republican Party establishment candidate, Crist came out in support of Elena Kagan’s nomination to the Supreme Court.  That came as a surprise to the Times, since Crist had opposed the more-qualified Sonia Sotomayor when Crist had the warm embrace of the Beltway GOP:

What does he think of the nomination of Elena Kagan? “A lot.I think she’d do a great job. … Isn’t that fun,” added the candidate who opposed Justice Sotomayor when conservatives were turning on him. “Honesty is the best policy.”

Oh yeah … honesty.  How is Kagan qualitatively a better candidate than Sotomayor, who had eleven years of experience on the appellate bench?  Either Crist is being honest about Kagan after being dishonest about Sotomayor, or the other way around.

In May 2009, though, the NRSC backed Crist’s play for the US Senate.  The national party did their best to discourage Marco Rubio and his supporters, arguing as they did for Arlen Specter before he ran out of the GOP that supporting incumbents and heavily-favored leaders gave Republicans their best shot at winning seats.  If Crist couldn’t be honest with voters then because of some deal he cut with Republicans — which seems unlikely, since the national GOP pursued Crist and not the other way around — then Crist should explain that.  Otherwise, he’s just an opportunist, not the Last Honest Man In Politics.

Putting that aside for the moment, the endorsement of Kagan as a “great” and “fun” pick hardly makes Crist an independent.  Many Democrats wouldn’t go that far in praising Kagan.  If he’s going to compete for cheerleading honors with Kendrick Meek, why does Florida need him as an “independent” at all?  Wouldn’t Floridians who want an Obama cheerleader naturally choose the Democrat in the race?

Besides, his defection apparently has left Crist with a brain-trust gap.  After most of his staff walked out, Crist had to pick a new campaign manager — and his choice makes it appear that he didn’t have too many resumes cluttering his desk:

It’s his big sister, Margaret Crist Wood, there in the background of this photograph by Scott Keeler. She officially is called interim campaign manager, the governor said, but only to give her an opportunity to step down if she doesn’t like it.

Doesn’t he need a seasoned pro? “No,” Crist said Thursday. “You know what you need? I’ve learned this in the last month: Somebody who’s loyal – really – honest, that cares about you, and is smart and tough. My older sister Margaret has always been that.”

Ironically, the GOP learned the same lesson … from Crist.  They don’t need a seasoned pro, or in Crist’s case, an overseasoned one, either.  They need someone who is loyal, honest, and cares about the conservative principles he espouses — like Marco Rubio — instead of someone who dumps those principles in order to save his political hide.   It’s also rather telling that Crist can’t even get his sister to commit to his campaign for the long term.

Comments

Talking sphincter.

TugboatPhil on May 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Douchebag!

Winebabe on May 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

“Isn’t that fun,” added the candidate

Um, okay… today, May 14th, I firmly announce that Charlie Crist is absolutely fabulously gay. The rumors I rolled my eyes at before must be true.

Because no straight Southern man, ever, anytime, anyplace says “Isn’t that fun!”

battleoflepanto1571 on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Time for Rubio to step up to the plate and dress him down.

itzWicks on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

What a weasel.

ncborn on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I’m still betting he’s getting a little bit of help from the DNC. If they can’t get Meek, they might be able to get Crist…and he will caucus with them.

Crist, thy name henceforth…shall be….Judas!

capejasmine on May 14, 2010 at 1:01 PM

They don’t need a seasoned pro, or in Crist’s case, an overseasoned overcooked one, either.

Fixed that for you. You’re welcome. :)

crushliberalism on May 14, 2010 at 1:01 PM

and Orange Crush gives me yet another reason to donate again to Marco. At the rate he is going I will max out to Rubio faster than I did for Hillary!

ginaswo on May 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM

The political ads are writing themselves this year…

ladyingray on May 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM

We need a Christ-teurism of the Day.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Is crist still leading in the polls in FL? Gads, I hope he is not elected. Go Marco!
L

letget on May 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Go away Crist before you humiliate yourself any further.

Branch Rickey on May 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I wonder if Crist was the inspiration for this guy… he’s the same race…

Akzed on May 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM

“You know what you need?”

Yeah, a lot more relatives to help you plunder your campaign fund.

Dusty on May 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Gee, he’s not transparent at all. Thanks, Mr. Morrissey, while not completely worry free I fee better about this move by Gov. Crist.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Very funny!

chaswv on May 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM

My guess was that Crist thought Charlie Crist would be a fun pick for the Supreme Court.

forest on May 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Funny watching a man swim from life raft to life raft looking for one that will let him board…he will tire and eventually sink to the bottom.

right2bright on May 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
- Sir Walter Scott

Good liars give details, great ones don’t.

MB4 on May 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM

What a difference a mere h, an i and an e make in the measure of a man. Compared to the one in NJ, this Governor is a microencephalic midget.

leilani on May 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Was your inclusion of an ‘h’ in Crist’s name a Freudian slip? Crist is certainly no Christie.

chaswv on May 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM

leilani on May 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM

You beat me to it and said it better….

chaswv on May 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM

While way better than Crist (who isn’t?), Rubio ain’t no Knight in shinning armor, just ask Arizona.

MB4 on May 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM

OK, Crist is a jerk of the first order, BUT…

Read the quote closely. I don’t think he said Kagan would be a “fun” pick. I think he was saying that answering the quetion was fun.

But I repeat: Crist is a jerk no matter what.

Bat Chain Puller on May 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Crist’s recent actions are just manifestations of his underlying medical condition: he’s extremely, violently, mortally allergic to the concept of getting a real job. Therefore, he has to do anything he can to hang on to a political office. Otherwise, he might have to, you know, work for a living.

secarr on May 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

quetion = question. Sheesh.

Bat Chain Puller on May 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

He only says that because he believes the story that she’s gay – he’s hoping for someone on the SC to represent his own inclinations.

katiejane on May 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Crist = tool

Nothing but a joke. Sorry Charlie, only the best candidates get to be Senators.

JetBoy on May 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM

1. What is up with all these “Brown Bailout” ads?

2. How do I stop them from appearing? Hopefully, the answer is not “stop reading HA”.

BobMbx on May 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM

If you want the best
Go Allen West
Been put to the test
Head and Shoulders above the rest

MB4 on May 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Rubio, put him out of his misery.

Mr. Joe on May 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Well, we all now that one of the major qualifications for a Supreme Court justice is that they’re fun.

vcferlita on May 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Crist is more toxic than the Gulf oil spill. He cant even BUY a Campaign Manager. Working for him is political professional suicide.

Why is he starting to rmind me of that President Logan guy on 24?

Nelsa on May 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Go away Crist before you humiliate yourself any further.

Branch Rickey on May 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Impossible.

portlandon on May 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Mr Man-Without-A-Party is in full Flail Around mode. To me he’s already looking desperate, and it’s only May.

This is not a rigorously policy-disciplined candidate, which is the only kind of candidate who can truly benefit from lacking a party. He does not appear to be very good at inventing his platform from scratch as he goes along.

It’s already like he’s just casting about for provocative positions only for the sake of jolting his campaign with a shot of buzz, any kind of buzz.

Edouard on May 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM

He supports kagan!

Nothing else to say, in light of all
the links, that I have posted, on this
Social Justice Engineer,er,Architect!!
============================================================
Dean Kagan accepts award from Equal Justice Works

====================
=====================

canopfor on May 14, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Talking ORANGE sphincter.

TugboatPhil on May 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM

FIFY.

profitsbeard on May 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I think a large chunk of the GOP politicians are like Crist circa 2008 – saying vaguely conservatives things simply because that’s the role they play on TV.

Clark1 on May 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Bat Chain Puller on May 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I agree with you. It’s the context, and the “…” before ‘isn’t that fun’ is misleading in the quote Ed posted.

Here it is futher explained on Tampa Bay.com (and I am by no means a Crist supporter either)

What’s he think about President Barack Obama nominating Elena Kagan to the U.S. Supreme Court? “I think she’d do a great job,” said the candidate who last year opposed Justice Sonia Sotomayor when conservative activists were turning on him.

“Isn’t that fun?” he asked, when board members looked momentarily taken aback by his direct answer.

“Honesty is the best policy,” he said, adding later, “It’s easier (as an independent). I don’t have to sort of think about, ‘How’s that group going to react?’ ”

Brat on May 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Crisp gets creapier by the minute.

txag92 on May 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM

ORANGE Douchebag!

Winebabe on May 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

FIFY II

profitsbeard on May 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM

While I know must people’s knee jerk reaction will be to disagree with what I say next, I’d urge them to take a second thought. While Specter is a career politician who has become too obsessed with his career, Crist is just plain nuts at this point. I’m not ashamed to have voted for Specter in two general elections, as I would be in the case of Crist. Of course, I can’t vote for Specter after his vote for the Obama porkulus, but I still somewhat like him.

thuja on May 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM

What aN ORANGE weasel.

ncborn on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

FIFY III

profitsbeard on May 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Isn’t that fun? Let’s give Charlie Crist lots of fun in the sun, if he doesn’t have an indoor job in Tallahassee or Washington.

If honesty is the best policy, when did Crist start being honest? When he said he was a Republican, or when he said he was Independent? When he said he would refund Republican money, or when he said he wouldn’t?

Honesty IS the best policy–a good reason to vote for Rubio.

Steve Z on May 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Time for Rubio to step up to the plate and dress him down.

itzWicks on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I agree. Rubio should use this opening to tie Kagan around Crist’s neck. Even if she’s confirmed, from what I’m reading, GOP senatorial candidates can have a field day with her nomination and confirmation hearings. She may be “can’t miss,” but she shouldn’t even be nominated, the socialist POS.

BuckeyeSam on May 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

“Isn’t that fun?”

No, “fun” will actually be when you get your a$$ handed to you in November.

Crist is like a guy throwing himself a one-person bachelor party, heedless of tomorrow’s unhappiness, indulging in a self-destructive long weekend of careless indulgence. The very definition of a damn fool.

Edouard on May 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This is good news. Cristie is cozying up to the left, on virtually all fronts. His (former) supporters, who I assume were largely Republican or at least moderately conservative, now have no reason whatsoever to vote for him. And of course, why vote for the psuedo-Dem when the real thing is also on the ballot?

He has successfully alienated most if not all of his potential voters. I’m really looking forward to the next set of polls in Florida.

iurockhead on May 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Did Crist previously say that he opposed Sotomayor because she didn’t have enough experience as a judge? If so, that would make him seem hypocritical. But it’s certainly possible that he opposed Sotomayor for certain reasons, and as a separate matter thinks that Kagan will do a great job, which isn’t necessarily hypocritical or contradictory, even if you disagree with him.

Of course, what I’m saying has nothing to do with whether Crist is a jerk or hypocrite in general.

tneloms on May 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I thought the “fun” pick for Crist was going to be Obama, or
Crist. Didn’t expect the person in the news today actually up for
the spot.

Marcus on May 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM

What aN ORANGE weasel.

ncborn on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

===================
FIFY III

profitsbeard on May 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM
==================

FIFY IV

canopfor on May 14, 2010 at 2:05 PM

If his sister doesn’t work out as campaign manager, Charlie may very well call on his brother, Jesus H. Crist.

TedInATL on May 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM

The argument that RINOs quitting the party will split the GOP vote misses the point: they will split the Progressive vote, instead.

Meanwhile Crist finds that he isn’t the sharpest of all rubber mallets in the bag of hammers.

ajacksonian on May 14, 2010 at 2:22 PM

[N]o straight Southern man, ever, anytime, anyplace says “Isn’t that fun!”

battleoflepanto1571 on May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Yikes, I can sure vouch for that and, as it was for you, that simple three word phrase was the clincher for me. I’m still trying to get my gaydar to stop beeping after reading that, lol.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that in the Seinfeldian sense, but I bet his new wife wanted to crawl under the nearest rock when she heard him say that, unless of course she herself isn’t of, um… the persuasion that there isn’t anything wrong with too! ;-)

leilani on May 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Crist is almost behaving like someone who has had a nervous breakdown!

GFW on May 14, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I’m sure Margaret is delighted to be referred to as “my OLDER sister.”

D2Boston on May 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM

“You know who’d make a “fun” SCOTUS pick?”

Rip Taylor?
George Lopez?
Tommy Chong?
Betty White?
Ron White?
Slappy White?
Miranda Wornings?

Noel on May 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I assumed he was going to nominate himself.

ThePrez on May 14, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I’m confused. He was a lying republican but now is an honest independent who originally stated he was always going to be a republican and would not ever consider running as an independent. See how this works. Confuse the he!! out of the voters in order to get their vote. Great plan, Charlie.

Kissmygrits on May 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Why is this surprising? If Crist has any chance at winning, he has to take away Democrat votes from Kendrick Meek.

He’s just trying to out-Democrat Kendrick Meek.

It won’t work, but that’s what he’s doing. Expect more of his I’m-an-out-of-the-closet-Democrat-now actions in the future.

SlaveDog on May 14, 2010 at 3:15 PM

TedInATL on May 14, 2010

That was funny but you’re still going to hell.

SKYFOX on May 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Hey Miguel if you’re that STUUUUUPID I’m glad you didn’t get anywhere near SCOTUS.

Newest GOP FOOL TOOL for the Nazguls in the MSM?????

MIGUEL ESTRADA.