PPP poll: Palin now fourth behind Gingrich in GOP primary match-up

posted at 5:35 pm on May 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Heh. Admittedly, this is pure comment bait, but I do find it fascinating that she remains the most popular Republican in these polls month after month while making no headway against Huck and Mitt and actually losing ground to a dark horse like Gingrich. I don’t want to overstate things — she’s only five points back of the lead — but a media superstar with a double-digit edge in favorability who’s already been on a national ticket and who’s wildly more dynamic than her competition should probably be … way ahead, no? Instead, this:

Huckabee leads the way, such as it is, with 25%. He’s followed by Romney at 23%, Gingrich at 21%, and Palin at 20%. Ron Paul finishes further back with 8%.

Palin continues to be by far the most well liked of the Republican candidates, with 69% of GOP voters holding a favorable opinion of her. That’s more than 10 points higher than any of the other potential contenders with 58% viewing Huckabee positively, 57% for Gingrich, and 54% for Romney. But that higher level of favorability is not translating into support for President.

Huckabee has clear leads in the South and Midwest, and is up with conservatives and women. Romney is ahead in the West, and holds the advantage with moderates and men.

I have no explanation except that doubts about her qualifications must run almost as deep among Republicans as they do among independents. Although here’s an interesting theory from the Anchoress, who also rates Sarahcuda favorably:

Palin’s base needs to calm down a little, and realize that when they act like the rightwing version of gaga-eyed Obamabots, they’re not helping their candidate. There is no such thing as a “perfect” person, certainly no such thing as a “perfect” politician, and when I hear someone refer to Palin as “my Sarah,” or I get an email from someone for daring to criticize “our Sarah,” I frankly want to puke. Such emails do not convince me to “love” Sarah Palin, they actually make me distrust her political viability all the more, because I distrust emotionalism in politics.

That sounds … familiar. Her diehard supporters at C4P are already marking their calendars for her official presidential campaign announcement — February 6, 2011 in Illinois, if you’re wondering — but assuming my “no qualifications” theory is correct (and it probably is), chart me a path to how she overcomes that in the next 10 months with no elective office and only Fox News segments and another book tour available to show her experience and mastery of the issues. Make me believe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

President Obama and his supporters better get used to this song because it could end up being the anthem leading to 2012 when we take America back.

dnlchisholm on May 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Oh my.

The MSM who ye should never trust, pens a thread of Palin. Why are you playing into their hands like an egg of playdoh? Play Doh? Or, shall we discuss Silly Putty?

Keep your eye on the ball. Keep your Eye on the Prize.

Oh, I cannot end a post without my new signature.

FUBO.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Here’s the sad truth for you: she can afford to lose support from Californians because she won’t ever win that state

Let me put this in perspective: The Californians you dismiss so readily are ones that could be putting money and energy into her potential Presidential campaign nation-wide. For example, the Scott Brown election showed how one state race could be supported and won with united support via the new conservative network of Tea Party activists. Recall how the Democrats were decrying how “unfair” it was for Brown to be receiving so much out-of-state support.

Furthermore, as a Democrat, I will also note that Brown could not have won Massachusetts without the support of Democrats…and 13% or so of Tea Party participants are Democrats. So, demean Democrats at the risk of alienating a potential ally in the 2012 race against Obama.

By interjecting herself so readily in a field where there was already a clear conservative with much grassroots support, who was also a potential victor over Boxer, she made an unforced error, and that is why I think you see the diminished numbers that Allahpundit cites today.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

dnlchisholm on May 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Um. We, do not have a president. WE have a skinny brown dude who reads well. He has small hands, small feet, no knowledge, no accomplishments, no records. He’s just some dude who everyone makes fun of and pokes at.

But let AMERICA tell you something. Don’t you dare provoke us. We may have a klown in the White House, but that does not mean for one second, that we are not prepared to protect and defend our Nation.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

It’s not so much “demeaning” as recognizing that CA is Obama country and probably will be so again in 2012 whatever happens. These blue states seem to keep voting for the poison that’s killing them.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Huckleberry?…….mealy mouth squishy republican that he is makes Lindsay Graham look like Churchill.

The second the GOP nomination looks locked up the Nazguls in the media will begin to rip him/her to shreds.

Besides there aren’t going to be any elections in 2012 folks. 2008 was it. Now live with the Messiah you elected.

And frankly if you get an administration of Progressive Repubs or Progressive Dems what the crap is the diff?

PappyD61 on May 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:43 PMc

Dude, no one criticizes Sarah Palin for picking “RINO” Carly over the alleged more conservative and preferable Chuck Devore then says they’ll vote for Mickey Kaus in the general if he wins the Dem nomination!

Carly’s not a RINO: check her position on the issues.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Anyone that is still a dem in Ca has embraced marxism. anyone that can not see that the dem party in Ca is full fledged marxist should not be listened too. and if VDH is really a dem in CA then his judgement should also be questioned.

the Ca dem party is nothing but a marxist org hellbent on destroying our country. Anyone connected to that party needs to have their head examined

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

If Devore was so popular, why are his numbers so bad for the GOP nomination?
He cannot win the nomination, ergo he can’t win against Boxer, which was one of the reasons Sarah endorsed Carly.
And Carly’s just as Conservative as DeVore, which is the other reason Sarah endorsed Carly.
If CA were such a lost cause to Sarah come 2012, why is she even bothering to weigh in on the Senate race now?

As for you, Nutjob, you are just what HA needs: another Eeyore, specially when it comes to Sarah Palin./s

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

We have professional lightweights like Maobama as president, Biden as VP and a SCOTUS nominee like Kagan and you’re talking about Sarah’s qualifications?!
*snort*
Sarah has a record–a very impressive record.

Obama, Biden and Kagan either have no record or what there is isn’t pretty or commendable.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Have to say i’m far past the point of being tired of the negative posts about Palin here, especially when you admit it’s just “comment bait”. It says quite a bit about you that you’ve been more positive towards Kagan than Palin. Jerk.

clearbluesky on May 13, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I hope none of these people being polled to run in 2012 are actually running in 2012… Romney is the only one that’s sort of ok…

Here is the list of people that need to be polled…

Pawlenty

Mitch Daniels
Some female wild card… Condi Rice, Susan Colins, or someone who’s actually pro-life…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

This makes it official…you are clinically insane. Seek help.

Leftoid 2012 meme:

But she was born in Alaska before it became a state, so she’s not an American citizen!

As Obama knows too well, the accusation always has more strength than any later corrections.

Slime LOUD!!!, retract with a whisper.

Probably 10% of the people would believe this slanderous silliness and not vote for her because of the doubt it raised.

Gingrich is AGW toast with anyone but the braindead.

Huck is a popcorn fried squirrel eating crank with no chance in a national election.

Mitt is Obamacare, the early years.

We need better candidates than these three fellows.

Palin has more testicular fortitude than these lamesters, so she is still ahead of the guys in guts, love of America, and killer instinct.

Actually, Sarah was born in Idaho in February 1964. Alaska became a state in 1959..same year as Hawaii, same year I was born.

A bit of trivia…Barry Goldwater faced some questions. He was born in Arizona before it became a state!

Of course John McCain faced questions as well…but Barack Obama, who is a ghost…not a question in the world. Anyone asking is a loon!!

Sure love life under Communist rule.

You are spot on though about Sarah. She brings it!!

gary4205 on May 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Things are changing in California. We defeated a bill to raise taxes last year by nearly 70 percent. The republicans are seriously threatening Boxer and will unseat her.

Remember, this is still Reagan country.

John the Libertarian on May 13, 2010 at 9:23 PM

If Devore was so popular, why are his numbers so bad for the GOP nomination?

As I have indicated in the above link, Devore’s numbers are improving as people come to know him, and decide. Ad, as another set of numbers show, Devore does better against Boxer than Fiorina.

There is a reason that the CA Republican’s call Fiorina “McCain in a Bra”; Michelle Malkin provides an example of Fiorina’s less than conservative tendencies HERE.

I have to say, the Anchoress is right. It will be Palin’s supporters who drive away independent-minded voters, such as myself. Now, I really will have to question whether I will automatically vote for the GOP-selected senate candidate.

Thanks for the illuminating discourse people.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM

This sounds off to me. This woman is out there EVERY day taking the fight to Obama…EVERY DAY…on EVERY ISSUE. I don’t see how you can even poll her with the other three who seem to be under their desks, hiding. I will be VERY interested to see what happens to these three when they actually start talking about policy and positions on real issues and how they compare to the ONE. They are POLLING WELL BECAUSE THEY SAY NOTHING…NOTHING. Let’s see what happens when they actually say something….OH WAIT…NO ONE CARES. Put that in your poll and take it.

Dan Pet on May 13, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Are you insane??

DeVore hasn’t been able to get much over 10% since Campbell jumped in the race. Even worse, Campbell, who is arguably worse than Boxer, is leading the polls.

Carly is the only one who can beat Campbell. It’s neck and neck, and if the reality challenged DeVore supporters will pull their head out of their butts and take a look at the hard facts, they’d see.

Hell, even Erick Erickson DeVore’s boy at Red State has said no mas!

It’s over, get behind Carly, beat Campbell and beat Boxer.

By letting his ego drive him, rather than doing the right thing DeVore is done…career over.

By the way…I can never, ever get a reality challenged DeVore supporter to answer this ONE QUESTION…

DeVore has the FEC breathing down his neck, he’s been paying Campaign staff with tax payer money.

Sarah Palin took down the entire leadership of the Alaska Republican Party over crap just like this…some went to prison..federal prison…Sarah was in Chicago last night telling them at length how she cleaned up Alaska and how they could clean that mess up.

Here’s the question I have for the reality challenged DeVore supporters. Knowing the above information and possible charges of corruption…do you REALLY think Sarah Palin who has made a career out of taking down corrupt politicians, starting with a friend, and fellow councilman in Wasilla…Do you REALLY think she would endorse DeVore with this over his head?????????

Jeebus…..

gary4205 on May 13, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I continue to believe, despite the fact that I want her to run and be elected as POTUS, that Sarah is running instead for VICE PRESIDENT. And I also agree, it isn’t going to be one of the other three men listed here. I believe it will be someone who can handle a HIGH PROFILE VP. She is the most popular conservative and that will go a long way. She will DRAW huge crowds, huge money. She can be kingmaker…for the right candidate.

Dan Pet on May 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Dan Pet on May 13, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Great comments!
I like the cut of your jib, Dan!

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM

She can be kingmaker…for the right candidate.

Dan Pet on May 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Uh, oh. Maybe I don’t like the cut of your jib quite as much as I thought…
Sarah’s not going to be anyone’s “kingmaker.”
(Who, pray tell, are you thinking of to run for POTUS besides her anyway???)

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Jenfidel

Jen, don’t give up on me. I think I am right…but don’t get me wrong, I want her as POTUS. Maybe I am off but I think my gut is right on this one. I am not sure about the top of the ticket…Maybe a dark horse? WON’T be one of the men listed here. And when I say Kingmaker…I mean, having her on the ticket will give POWER to someone.

Dan Pet on May 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Dan, that dark horse better get here soon because not only are we trying to make it through dark times, but the 2012 campaign will be here before you know it.

I suggest to you that there is no “dark horse” and that you can’t fully see Sarah being our 21st Century Ronald Reagan yet because she’s a plain-spoken woman of the people and not a Beltway insider, Ivy League-trained policy wonk.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Rather than stare at your screen imagining what the cut of Dan’s jib is and what you will wear to Sarah’s inaugaration take a step away from the keyboard, pop your head out the window and breath the sweet air of objectivity for once…

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM

The Great One made one of us unnamed swipes tonight by talking about people who won’t endorse the real conservative Devore.

The reason why Sarah’s numbers are going down is because she is endorsing people like Fiorino and McCain. We aren’t cult-of-personality followers like the left.

I had high hopes for Sarah but she is wearing thin on me. I think she is best in her current role.

PrincipledPilgrim on May 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM

The Great One made one of us his unnamed swipes tonight by talking about people who won’t endorse the real conservative Devore.

Oops

PrincipledPilgrim on May 13, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM

And your point would be…what, exactly?
Oh, that’s right!
You don’t have one except to cast aspersion on my fine judgement.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM

You don’t have one except to cast aspersion on my fine judgement.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Don’t mind Bradky. He’s suffering the effects of Radon from being in the basement for hours with no ventilation.

His advice for fresh air is relevant only to himself.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Dan Pet on May 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I agree with you as I have been saying for a few days.

I love for Palin to be the niminee, but it won’t be 2012/16. She will be Bachmann’s VP. The mantle will be passed to her 2020. (But I sure like the way Chrisite handles himself.)

davidk on May 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

The Great One made one of his unnamed swipes tonight by talking about people who won’t endorse the real conservative Devore.
PrincipledPilgrim on May 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Chuck DeVore’s been emailing me (in TX)…for months begging for money and his numbers have never gotten competitive with Fiorina or Campbbell.
He’s rumored to be using CA state employees as his free campaign workers (if true, this would end his campaign.)
DeVore’s not the only “real” Conservative in the race; Carly’s a real Conservative, too, who has a real chance to beat Boxer.
Devore does not.

This poll is meaningless.
I guarantee you that Sarah loses no sleep worrying about how she’ll “catch” Mittens, Huck and Neut(ered) in the PPP poll.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

davidk on May 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

There’s no way the GOP or the country will skip over Palin (who’s been a governor, a member of the AK Oil & Gas Commission and a mayor) to elect Bachmann.
Michele Bachmann, however, will make an excellent VP for Sarah.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM

AP just does this for effect.

Run, Sarah, run!

Bandit5906 on May 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Democrat whack-job PPP with no credibility whatsoever based on its recent surveys?

PPP is a nutjob.

TheAlamos on May 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Romney and Huckabee’s ships were sunk before leaving the dock. May as well say that Palin is the frontrunner.

MrX on May 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM

PrincipledPilgrim on May 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM

What the hell is it with you people????

What part of DeVore can’t win don’t you get??

The guy is a slug of a candidate. He might have the right boxes checked, but hell…so do I, and I assure you I am unelectable, and I also assure you I am better at selling myself than DeVore is.

The guy ran a crappy campaign, he can’t raise money, and he has major ethics issues now.

But you “real conservatives” keep backing that dead horse, let Tom Campbell get elected, and then see Senator “Don’t call me ma’am” in for another six!

BTW…I WAS a DeVore supporter…and DISAPPOINTED AS HELL when Sarah didn’t endorse him (and he asked) BUT…there is a reason why Sarah is the leader of this deal. She knows what she’s doing and had information a mere mortal blogger did not.

Once I knew the facts, and looked at the situation, I jumped on Carley’s bandwagon at warp speed.

Look…Is there ANY doubt that Fred Thompson was probably the best candidate, most Conservative (on paper) in 2008??

How did that work out?

There is the fantasy league, where you run ‘em on paper, and there is reality, where you run ‘em for real. Most times the results are quite different.

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

gary4205 on May 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Devore does not.

This poll is meaningless.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Jen..Stacy Drake (former DeVore supporter from San Diego) and I both have written about this deal and why we are supporting Carly. The piece below has links to previous thoughts:

Sarah Palin, Carly Fiorina, True Leadership, And Reality

gary4205 on May 13, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Instead of speaking in generalities, why don’t you tell us what you think her flaws are? Then you’ll know if her supporters are able to downplay them in favor of her strengths. It’s kind of difficult to combat the negativity when you don’t know what it is specifically.

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Any one but Palin! Anyone but Palin! It’s got to be anyone but Palin! Otherwise the whole world will fall in a great cataclysm!

/s

Crux Australis on May 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Where’s the bold move? Ann Coulter toured with Maher in the debate format, what’s Sarrrrahhcudaahh afraid of?

Are you telling that me in a metropolitan area of nine million people, proximal to Chicago, the last refuge of the gun manufacturer litigants, the political home of The One, home of Reverends Jackson and Wright, the Democratic Machine that put Joe Kennedy Sr’s boy in office, she couldn’t find even an alderman to debate?

Yes, that is preaching to the choir, then, when you offer only 4,400 seats in controlled sales.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Dude, she isn’t running for anything. Why would she debate anyone about anything at this point? Her role right now is to get people fired up for November, and she’s doing a good job of it.

It is exasperating to me as a “bot” that all of these demands are made of Palin that are not made of other candidates. That she’s able to poll within 5 points of the other frontrunners when the standards for her are in the stratosphere compared with these other tools is amazing all on its own.

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2010 at 11:02 PM

It could just be that she has never run for president and is not making moves that indicate that she is planning to run. I am surprised though that that she is behind Gingrich, given his total hackness.

astonerii on May 13, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Call me pedantic if you must, but I’m really getting tired of “heart-ache.” Allah, it’s a compound word, not a hyphenated one. Stop it already.

disa on May 13, 2010 at 11:43 PM

To Oilypundit, SP doesn’t display that sterling quality of his laughably termed “Prudence to a Fault” that he admires in Mittens.
(“Prudence to a Fault” to a normal person means lack of political courage and checking the political winds in taking a position. Which ain’t “prudence”, it’s cowardice.)
“Prudence to a Fault”: LOL- A new high water mark in political weasel speak.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Please. How did Gingrich weasel his way in? The man needs to come to terms with the fact that his time has past.

Blake on May 14, 2010 at 12:23 AM

‘Tis a fair point.

Hawkins1701 on May 14, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Giuliani was way ahead once. Early polls are useless.

jimmy the notable on May 14, 2010 at 2:16 AM

You don’t have one except to cast aspersion on my fine judgement.

Jenfidel on May 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM

The classic Palinista position: my judgment is the only one that counts. Never mind she quit as governor, never mind she was mayor of a town of less than 2,000, or a commissioner who looked into a fellow member’s email without authorization to prove some theory she had about him. She ended up causing him to be fired.

By God I’m Jenfidel brainiac of the universe and those facts mean she is the female Ronald Reagan. If you don’t like her you must be an Obamabot.

You are a funny gal Jen. Replace one rank amateur with another in 2012 is your idea of saving America?
Comedy gold.

Bradky on May 14, 2010 at 5:11 AM

AP said:

Why does she need to overcome it in the next 10 months? If she announces at that time, she will then have more than a year of campaigning to convince primary voters that she is qualified. Her main test would be the primary debates with other GOP contenders. If she were to do well in those debates (certainly possible, she did well against Biden with much less preparation time), you would see her qualification numbers turn around.

Jon0815 on May 14, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Why doesn’t AP just run as Mitt’s or Huck’s running mate thereby saving our Republic?

Or is it just easier to stir up $hit from the sidelines knowing that RINOs aren’t going to fix a damn thing if elected?

Job security for pundits I suppose. A stable, prosperous society would mean folks would actually be working and enjoying life and not checking internet sites to try to figure out when it will all hit the fan.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 14, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Jenfidel

Jen..You are right about that. Where is the dark horse? I don’t know….Could it be Cristie? Daniels? But don’t get me wrong. I understand all of Sarah’s pluses and have known them since Aug 08. The outsider feeling is running strong right now. And that is a BIG deal in predicting the outcome of all of this. But, we also have to be pragmatic…just like Sarah says. I would rather her have her eyes and options open rather than lose the primaries to someone who wouldn’t choose her for VEEP….like [cringe] MITTENS.

Dan Pet on May 14, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Jon0815 on May 14, 2010 at 5:46 AM

So Biden is the benchmark for top quality candidates? Sarah beat Biden = ready to debate top tier GOP people. Give me a break.
to the Paliniacs she is unbeatable and it doesn’t matter who she debates — little fantasy football maybe?
Delusion thy name is Palinista!

Bradky on May 14, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Delusion thy name is Palinista!

You need to either improve your reading comprehension, or stop deliberately beating straw men. And I’m not a “Paliniac/Palinista”. I’m leaning towards Thune.

Jon0815 on May 14, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Jon0815 on May 14, 2010 at 8:17 AM

You are the one who held up the Biden debate as some kind of highwater mark for her.
Strawman creator thy name is Jon0815

Bradky on May 14, 2010 at 8:24 AM

There’s a lot of that going around these days.

Vashta.Nerada on May 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Neither Palin, Gingrich, Romney, or Huckabee will be the nominee.
nickj116 on May 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I think you’re right.

Mark1971 on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I PRAY you are right.

If any on that list, or Paul, gets the nod…BHO gets his second term.

Nathan_OH on May 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Nikki Haley’s gubernatorial campaign in South Carolina will get its biggest boost yet: Sarah Palin plans to endorse her tomorrow in Columbia.

Can someone help me understand both the results of this poll AND statements like this one (which are all over the place)? Mittens endorses Bennett in Utah and I didn’t even know that he did until he was booed. And Huck endorsed some…but no one is hanging on his every word. How does this all make sense?

Dan Pet on May 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM

What policy and what leadership exactly? She is not an elected official any longer. Op-Eds and Facebook postings don’t a Churchhill make. Er scratch the Op-eds she hasn’t done one yet has she?
I

Bradky

Who else is even talking about these things? Are you kidding?? And last I checked, Mittens, Huckster and Newt weren’t in elected office any longer either. And she has written OP-EDs July 14, 2009, Washington Post, Sept 8 2009 WSJ, Dec 8, 2009 Wash Post. Found those three on a google search in 41 seconds. Try it sometimes before opening your mouth…..saves you from looking like a WACKO TROLL.

Dan Pet on May 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Allah, I’d grab you by your collar but since I can’t do that, I don’t have a clear explanation about Huckabee so you’re gonna have to grab me by my collar and explain that one to me. He is Christian, conservative and all that but he did raise taxes when he was governor of AR. *sigh*

There’s two less people in the south that I know won’t vote for him for that reason and perhaps others. Huckabee will be for me, like Gingrich, a candidate to vote for because there’s nobody else, like Mac.

To me Newt is just pandering and no serious leadership; I haven’t seen him out there, standing up for conservatives as much as Sarah has. She defends her ideas, her experience is out there; no dirt on her as much as was attempted to, and great experience dealing with Big Oil.

I support Sarah, and Chris Christie (or someone as fiscally conservative as him, with hard evidence on that). I’d like a poll not on popularity within the GOP but on who can handle this mess better than others. Then Sarah will fare on top. Look at the elections: More candidates are women, Arizona is kicking some serious butt with her governor and there’s a lieutenant governor in my area that I will vote for, her last name is Pepper. I have to take pics of her signs and of Specter and Dahlkemper, for deliberate nausea and diarrhea.

I’d like an open thread where we can take pics of our candidates’ yard signs and put them here; see how conservatives and liberals campaign all over the country. That’d be fun. I wouldn’t poll Sarah; I am not worried about her. There might be a slight correlation with her being a woman and the AZ thing. At this point I won’t discard anything. There’s simply lack of education in the American public about her capacity to handle Obama-mess, but of all candidates combined, poll who’d fare better on a national TV against The Won. She’d fare first bar none.

That’s where you will see the truth.

ProudPalinFan on May 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Sarah is making news, headlines, and definitely setting the tone for the GOP.

5 points behind while being active really is quite good, in my opinion. The head in the sand approach is going to eventually hurt the other names.

Right now, these polls merely guage name reactions. It’s obvious, since the poll numbers and top names flip-flop. A poll not long ago didn’t have Gingrich showing in the top 5, after he’d been very visible, I noted.

So the message is that voters currently feel warmer to those who shut up. LOL*

Eventually, they will want to actually hear from the candidates.

AnninCA on May 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Sarah quit. She took a risk, which she’s meeting head-on. People have to hear her, she has to make every opinion known, and she’ll overcome that political hurdle.

I think from a purely political standpoint, it’s better to be the “behind” gal right now.

AnninCA on May 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Do you think you could take a moment, re-read my analysis, and perhaps convey to the Palin team that she needs to NOT endorse a candidate unless she is fully informed of all the dynamics within a race.
Mutnodjmet

Are you telling me that she didn’t look at all angles of this before making her endorsement? Are you kidding? And I suppose you think that McCain didn’t completely vet her either, right? Give me a break. Rest assured, Sarah’s deci

Dan Pet on May 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Rest assured, Sarah’s decision is well thought out.

Dan Pet on May 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Maybe people are saying they aren’t ready to choose — Huck as number one says so, no?

littleguy on May 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Yes, as that is what I truly believe from all the data I have as a California citizen activist. I have to say that,based on the conversations I have had with other Tea Party coordinators, that blind adoration for Palin is not valid as a “litmus test” for conservatism or patriotism.

She relied on the GOP leadership, who has been clearly backing Fiorina since the beginning. Palin is heavily engaged with Tea Party express, which is known to citizen activists to have deep roots to the traditional Republican elites who have managed to be part of the problem for so very long.

Furthermore, the trumped-up charges related to Devore many have cited here come straight from the IP address of a highly placed Fiorina campaign operative(specifically, a The law firm which represents the well-oiled Carly Fiorina campaign, and the state Republican party).

The establishment GOP in California has vowed to “take over the Tea Party or destroy it”. I should think that unless you are a blind follower of the GOP, you might at least consider that an Army Vet such as Devore deserves better than this treatment by the Republican Party. It is into this scene that Palin has unwisely interjected herself, in my opinion (a Palin supporter and California activist).

Finally, for those of you who think the words of “our Sarah” are sacred, let me take you down a trip through memory lane:

Carly dissed Sarah for “not being qualified” to run a big company during the presidential race. Fiorina was back-benched by McCain after the flub, and dubbed “Joe Biden-like” for her public speaking gaffes.

Weigh this bit with her poor performance against Campbell and Devore in a recent debate: CLICK HERE for link to audio.

There are two separate arguments here, so let me break them out:

* Devore can win both the primary and the general. He is has a much more of a genuine conservative than Firoina, as has served California honorably. The nay-saying of the GOP-loyalists at Hot Air cannot take away the grassroots excitement that Devore has earned on his own.

* It is immaterial to the discussion as to whether Palin’s endorsement will help or hurt. In this instance, in a campaign closely followed by citizen activists, she choose unwisely. This has hurt her numbers and lowered the level of enthusiasm for her among an energized electorate. Any of you that followed the comments on her Facebook page after her post should realize this.

For further details, see this review from another citizen California activist and conservative pundit: Disappointed by Left Coast Rebel.

Mutnodjmet on May 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM

She’s the only one that has time and time again made it clear she is NOT running for President. Yet pollsters keep asking people to weigh in on their support for an imaginary run for the office, all jumping on the “I won’t close any doors” comment
She is concentrated on 2010 and if the Congress flips in both houses, she will be given much of the credit for the success. Certainly conservatives are going to be out in droves this November and they definetely wouldn’t be fired up as much without Palin. After historic conservative wins she will have a valid poltical stance on the national level based on that historic achievement. In fact, I imagine she will the the most valid of all politicians

LeeSeneca on May 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I don’t get this constant handwringing by Allah about meaningless polls. She may run, she may not. My gut tells that she will, and she definitely got my vote. If she ends up loosing the nomination, I will just be happy that I got a chance to vote for a real conservative for a change. That hasn’t happened since Reagan.

Regardless, whomever the GOP nominates is likely to win big in 2012 given the financial sh!tstorm we are about to face over the next few years. (Believe me, it will get far worse than it is today, see market-ticker.org)

AP strikes me as the sort of guy who would nominate whomever he saw as the “most electable” regardless of politics. Basically, exactly what the Dems did in 2004 with John Kerry. And look how that turned out….

Norwegian on May 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM

All I can say is this:

LIVE BY THE FACEBOOK POST, DIE BY THE FACEBOOK POST!

Mutnodjmet on May 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

All I can say is this:

LIVE BY THE FACEBOOK POST, DIE BY THE FACEBOOK POST!

Mutnodjmet on May 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Dishonest. You weren’t exactly “beaten up”, and it wasn’t because of criticism of Palin’s endorsement of Fiorina.

ddrintn on May 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM

^ The thing is, you just don’t like Palin to begin with, and this endorsement just provides ample justification to go full-bore on how “damaged” she is. Just own up to it.

ddrintn on May 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

ddrintn: How nice that you are able to read my mind and know my history in such detail! That is an amazing gift you possess. I don’t think you made it to the key line in my piece, so I will post it here.

Call it a “teachable moment”.

Degrading insults and nastiness do not sway those who are not enthralled completely by “our Sarah” — and will cost Palin and other Republican candidates key allies in the upcoming push-back on the Obama administration.

Mutnodjmet on May 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Hey, Fiorina Backers — here is something Red State’s Erik Erikson said about the outright lie written in one of these comments:

The California Pro-Life Council is telling people in California I have called for Chuck DeVore to consider stepping down. I’ve done no such thing and on the lies and damn lies category, I’d put it in the damn lies category considering CPLC is a bought and paid for subsidiary of the Fiorina campaign.

As I’ve said repeatedly, I’m standing with Chuck. In fact, in the CNN interview CPLC is touting, I made that clear again and simply said, “Look, if Chuck DeVore hasn’t gone up in the polls within two weeks significantly, I’ll be with Carly Fiorina because Tom Campbell is that bad.” I said that two days ago.

Mutnodjmet on May 14, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Two years before the primaries start is a little early for speculation.

We are still to early to worry about the November polls.

jpmn on May 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Mutnodjmet on May 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Says the one who is free and easy with the “rabid Palinista” stuff. There’s YOUR teachable moment.

ddrintn on May 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Because, as has been pointed out many times, she is just a celebrity. The Repub Obama.

Unaccomplished, unqualified, but she reads the teleprompter well to throw the read meat to the fans.

Moesart on May 15, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Erick “Little Napoleon” Erickson fancies himself the new Republican kingmaker. He argues that ZERO movement in a poll is “momentum” for DeVore based on obtuse readings of the crosstabs and demographics, apparently involving the entrails of goats.

DeVore has no money to run ads statewide, and could DOUBLE his support and still not win. The cloistered mindset at RedState would be laughable if it didn’t involve conservatives seeking the only way to blow winning in November.

Adjoran on May 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM