PPP poll: Palin now fourth behind Gingrich in GOP primary match-up

posted at 5:35 pm on May 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Heh. Admittedly, this is pure comment bait, but I do find it fascinating that she remains the most popular Republican in these polls month after month while making no headway against Huck and Mitt and actually losing ground to a dark horse like Gingrich. I don’t want to overstate things — she’s only five points back of the lead — but a media superstar with a double-digit edge in favorability who’s already been on a national ticket and who’s wildly more dynamic than her competition should probably be … way ahead, no? Instead, this:

Huckabee leads the way, such as it is, with 25%. He’s followed by Romney at 23%, Gingrich at 21%, and Palin at 20%. Ron Paul finishes further back with 8%.

Palin continues to be by far the most well liked of the Republican candidates, with 69% of GOP voters holding a favorable opinion of her. That’s more than 10 points higher than any of the other potential contenders with 58% viewing Huckabee positively, 57% for Gingrich, and 54% for Romney. But that higher level of favorability is not translating into support for President.

Huckabee has clear leads in the South and Midwest, and is up with conservatives and women. Romney is ahead in the West, and holds the advantage with moderates and men.

I have no explanation except that doubts about her qualifications must run almost as deep among Republicans as they do among independents. Although here’s an interesting theory from the Anchoress, who also rates Sarahcuda favorably:

Palin’s base needs to calm down a little, and realize that when they act like the rightwing version of gaga-eyed Obamabots, they’re not helping their candidate. There is no such thing as a “perfect” person, certainly no such thing as a “perfect” politician, and when I hear someone refer to Palin as “my Sarah,” or I get an email from someone for daring to criticize “our Sarah,” I frankly want to puke. Such emails do not convince me to “love” Sarah Palin, they actually make me distrust her political viability all the more, because I distrust emotionalism in politics.

That sounds … familiar. Her diehard supporters at C4P are already marking their calendars for her official presidential campaign announcement — February 6, 2011 in Illinois, if you’re wondering — but assuming my “no qualifications” theory is correct (and it probably is), chart me a path to how she overcomes that in the next 10 months with no elective office and only Fox News segments and another book tour available to show her experience and mastery of the issues. Make me believe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Make no mistake. The MSM is on its mission, to paint SP as a right wing, radical religious, pro gun pro kill fanatic. A kook. A wingnut. Nutjob. Radical Right Winger. Tea Bagger. Classless. Clueless. Uneducated. Bad hair. Bad clothes. Bad shoes. Bad glasses. No brains. No guts. A career political hack with only her own advancement in mind. A quitter. A Floozy. Brainless. Not ready to lead. Not ready to follow. Not ready to speak. Not ready for anything. She’s stupid and assinine. Right?

The problem for the MSM, is that she is none of these things. And, they know it.

That is why they are sh**ting their collective pantaloons and they remain in fear of her.

Geeze… Didn’t they say the same things about Reagan?

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Eh, the Fiorina thing will blow over. For one thing, I think she can actually beat Boxer and I’m doubtful DeVore could, regardless of what some outlier poll says. Then all Fiorina has to do us toe the line once she’s in office. Assuming she does that, this endorsement won’t be damaging to her at all.

BTW, who have Mittens and Pawlenty endorsed? Oh that’s right — never mind.

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Nor does Romney, nor does Huckabee. And they start out with more of a handicap: no real base of support. So, who’s the candidate, bud?

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

All I can tell you is, never say never.

We had a freshman Senator from Illinois going on TV and saying himself “I’m not ready for that yet”, and yet there he is now at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Never say never. Stranger things have happened.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

The big question here is: How the Huck is Huckabee on the top of this poll? Who the heck are the dimwits that want Huck to be president, let alone Mitt?

Palin and Petraeus are the people for me to support for 2012.

cubachi on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

where Rubio stands for 2016. Just as relevant…

joejm65 on May 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Meh, let’s get him elected first.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM

So, who’s the candidate, bud?

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

So sayeth the irritable Palinista

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Huckabee announces that is isn’t running, Where does his support go?

Mitt?
Palin?
Gingrich?

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I’m a little tired of the “heartache” stuff…

Who, exactly, are you, anyway?

golfmann on May 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Why is Schmuckabee still polling so high? Seriously, evangelicals, he’s a squish on too many issues. Let it go.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Palin and Petraeus are the people for me to support for 2012.

cubachi on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Ignore the polls. They’re all being controlled by the O-House. Even rasmussen. Sad. Vote with your feet and your heart, but before you do, be sure to study who and what you are voting for.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Nor have they received the colonoscopy Palin has gotten for the last 18 months.

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The Anchoress?? Elizabeth some-effing-Skolarski who would be nobody if it weren’t for Glenn Reynolds?? Erick Erickson?? CNN’s resident “conservative” whose blog nobody read except, who? David Frum?

Allahpundit — find a different formula. Dragging out a bunch of nobodies every tme Sarah Palin registers is a losing equation.

DaydreamBeliever on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Mitt?
Palin?
Gingrich?

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Don’t know about you, but I’m thinking Ted C. Or Ed Morrissey.

Don, don’t let the enemy choose your runner in the race!

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM

So sayeth the irritable Palinista

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Those who go looking for trouble, usually find it Bradky.

I’m sure you’ve learned that, being on the receiving end of a few fists to the nose.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM

And the concept that there is no perfect candidate will never be understood by the people who delight in labeling Palin toast for everything she does. It’s rather hypocritical for you and the Anchoress to criticize Palin supporters for “thinking she’s perfect” when you criticize her because she’s not.
katiejane on May 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM

She doesn’t have to be perfect. Just electable. She’s a looooong way away from that.

You’re misunderstanding the criticism levelled at a large number of Palin fans. People like me and apparently Anchoress are frustrated because a great many of you refuse to recognize her flaws, which strategically is insane (if you really want her as President, you need to identify her weaknesses and either eliminate them or neutralize them in some fashion); have knee-jerk reactions to even reasonable criticisms of her; and at times display disturbing emotional attachments to ber that is eerily reminiscient of the Obama zombies and their secular religion built around the One (hence the “our Sarah” remarks).

You want her to be president? You need more than emotion to get it done. You need to activate the cold, analytical reptile part of your brain, acknowledge her flaws, and devise ways in which to combat them and play up her strengths. Not sit back and whine because Allah posted a disappointing poll about her, acting like he’s slandering a member of your family.

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

So, who’s the candidate, bud?

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

So sayeth the irritable Palinista

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Not irritable at all, just asking for some ideas about that satire-proof, eminently electable candidate. Or do you just do the “anti” shtick?

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM

*gets popcorn and soda*

Let the games begin.

MadisonConservative on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I have no idea what Palin’s intentions are besides doing everything she can to shine on light on the Marxist termites trying to destroy this nation from within. For this I thank her.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

A true Evangelical will not allow their Faith to interfere with politics, therefore any attempt to put any vote on any Evangelial is wrong, deceiving and inaccurate.

Thank you.

/By the way? I’m not in the Grace right now, but hope to get there soon.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Word.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Who has said she’s error-proof? And which error-proof alternative who is true-blue Tea Party-approved and who walks that line perfectly and who’s also electable do you suggest?

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM

ddrintn: You would benefit from actually taking a moment to read the Anchoress’ piece. By “Tea Party” activists, I mean the highly-engaged and active citizens who have been donating, campaigning, calling on behalf of Devore because they support him, his conservative stances, and his legislative history. Palin’s formal endorsement was a slap-in-the-face to them. And these are the kind of people who were expected to expend the same sort of dynamic energy on her behalf for her theoretical Presidential campaign.

Dawn Wildman was not kidding in her “Hot Air quote of the day” about the number of grassroots organizers calling her to vent about Palin’s formal endorsement. Whether you like it or not, the fact is Palin’s endorsement of Fiorina hurt her standing with many, many Tea Party activists in California (and, perhaps, in other areas).

Your attitude and demeanor underscore the need for Palin supporters to be circumspect about Paln’s mis-steps, just as the Anchoress wrote. Your attitude does not inspire me to increase my enthusiasm for Palin — and I am very active in Tea Party grassroots efforts. Do you think you could take a moment, re-read my analysis, and perhaps convey to the Palin team that she needs to NOT endorse a candidate unless she is fully informed of all the dynamics within a race. That would help her more then venting at me — whose only fault in my comment is that I bear evil tidings to Palinistas.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM

have knee-jerk reactions to even reasonable criticisms of her;

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Oh now, that’s rich. Forget the knee-jerk criticism of EVERYthing she does. I don’t particularly like the Fiorina endorsement, but let’s imagine she had endorsed DeVore. Then we would’ve had those “she’s just an unelectable doctrinaire” comments. You know it, I know it.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM

cubachi on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM
Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

this is the sort of nonsense I’m talking about. “Ignore the polls, the media controls them”. You can’t afford to ignore polls. You also can’t afford to develop and entertain conspiracy theories. Be a realist. Even if you think she CAN win. This is what Anchoress is talking about. Some of you are in denial that there are any problems.

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Not saying it’s all evangelicals or “true” evangelicals who are propping up the Huckster, but it seems to me that his continuing viability is due to his appeal to a major section of the self-identified evangelical base.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM

OK, so instead of playing hurt little schoolgirl, maybe those tea partiers could do something constructive as an alternative.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Your point is well taken … however, rarely do Palin critics offer constructive criticism. It’s more like piling on then accusing Palin supporters of being “bot-like” when they defend her.

I think well meaning constructive criticism would be welcome.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Well, yes. I loathe the media with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but they did their job well regarding her and the damage is done. Even if she could unite every Republican around her, a tall order to say the least, she’ll never get enough independents won over to win. Whine about the Tina Fey impression if you want, but that is how most independents see her – as someone who might personally be likeable, but is a bit of a bumpkin and a dunce and not the sort you’re willing to give the keys to the castle to.

And some of you are in denial about the problems she has, and get angry when her flaws are pointed out, because you think people like Allah or her other critics (or, more acurately defined, cynics) hate her, when that’s not really true. I find Sarah Palin to be rather likeable and charming, as much as a politician can be that is. But I’m a pragmatist, and I just don’t think she can win. And as Allah pointed out, she doesn’t have a lot of time or opportunity left in which to change the minds of people who think that way.

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I’ve never denied the woman has hurdles to overcome in terms of public perception. But I also believe that she has the political skill and personal charisma to do this. Are you honestly telling me that if in 2011 and 2012 she gives substantive policy speeches and blows away the competition in the primary debates, that the vast majority of the country will still view her as a dunce and think she’s nothing more than the Tina Fey caricature from SNL?

Does that mean everyone will suddenly think she’s qualified to be President? Of course not. Her thin resume(even if it is better than Obama’s circa 2008) will be an issue. As will stepping down from the governorship before her term was up, regardless of the role the Alaskan mafia and their baseless ethics charges played in that saga. And let’s not forget the biggest obstacle of all in her path: her gender. I don’t care if some scientist in a lab creates the most experienced, attractive, and articulate female Presidential candidate humanly possible, the American electorate will approach the prospect of the first woman in the Oval Office with a heavy dose of skepticism and trepidation. Especially with a bunch of woman-hating lunatic dictators out there trying to get the bomb. Honestly, I believe that has a lot more to do with the “she’s not qualified” narrative than any SNL skit or resignation controversy.

Bottom line, if she runs in 2012 and can manage to sell herself to GOP voters, there’s no reason she can’t do the same with independents and disillusioned Democrats in the general election. But it will be a huge challenge, no doubt. Oh, and spare me with the notion that her Alaskan twang is a problem. Hillary spoke with the most annoying Chicago accent, yet I never heard anyone saying she needed to work on how she sounded.

Doughboy on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Yeah. Vote for DeVore.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

As I’ve mentioned to the Anchoress in the past, I’ll worry about a Palin cult when the children start being taught songs of devotion. Or when people start fainting from her presence. Etc.

In the meantime, best of luck banking on Mitt Romney. I can’t wait for arguments against ObamaCare to be kneecapped by RomneyCare. Oh, well. At the very least, the concession speech should be gracious and riveting.

Kensington on May 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

What I have a hard time understanding is why some people seem so intent on preventing Sarah Palin from running at all.

If she is all the things her detractors claim, then why not let things shake out in the primary process?

If she is as weak a candidate as some contend, then when she must debate the other candidates she will fold like a cheap tent, the poll numbers will crash through the floor, and that will be that.

You will be vindicated.

I would think that some of you would want her to run so she can crash and burn and you will finally be rid of her for good in politics.

I want to see those debates. I want everyone else to see those debates, and have a discussion about it. That is the healthy way to proceed to the general election, not ruling out voices before the conversation begins.

I want Palin up there challenging the others, and vice versa. It will be good, one way or the other.

Just a thought.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Doughboy on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Yeah, the bottom line for me is that it’s idiotic to be saying “she’s unelectable!!!! Damaged goods!!!!!!” ad nauseam. We. Don’t. Know. That. Yet. I don’t like Romney’s chances against Obama, but I’m not going to say he’s thoroughly unelectable.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Kensington on May 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Sigh. Sad but (probably) true. But on the other hand, he does have great hair.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

She’ll run and she’ll win.

Very few in the professional commentariat understand the times we are in, and the times that are ending. (I find this fact strange and interesting — after all, to understand should be part of their vocation). Maybe it is a lack of imagination. That would not be inconsistent with the world of modern politics. But Palin understands. She is naturally suited to these times as no other.

And, actually, her imperfection is no small part of this. Whoever says that her followers believe she is “perfect” is deeply wrong, and misses the core truth and appeal of Sarah Palin — an appeal which, in the time and moment of 2012 in America, will carry the day.

rrpjr on May 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Ignore the polls. They’re all being controlled by the O-House. Even rasmussen.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Tranquility base here. The paranoia has landed.

MadisonConservative on May 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Dear Mister Vyce:

Please know that nobody is whining about anything. Know that many people placed their Vote for Obama. Now, for Americans, their vote is a cherished thing… a trust, if you will.

Obama violated the trust of 62% of Americans after campaigning on lies. He deceived the better part of our Nation. You need to tell Obama that he owns this.

Now, We as a Nation aren’t exactly sure where your team is taking us, but we will not be led as lambs. We are awake and aware. We are paying close attention to your every move, every bill you are trying to introduce and every measure you mean to implement.

Hard working people are helping neighbors and friends and I’d like YOU to ask or aks Obama how it feels to sit at a table of a feast full of Kobe beef, Arugula salad and other elite foods…. How could he face a child in Tennessee that lost his/her home.

Answer that, Obama.

/Ah, we know you won’t so we’ll take care of our own damnselves and get your snarky stinky arse out of DC. But first! All of your marxists. They go first. Then you.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Palin’s endorsement is a misstep because you support Devore. What exactly qualifies you to judge her actions? This is a primary race. If Devore is as good as you say he is then he’ll win. If not, he’ll lose and you’ll have committed a “misstep”.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Yeah. Vote for DeVore.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Cool, and when 2012 rolls around they can take their hurt and put their energies behind Huck or Romney instead of sniffling about Palin’s perfidy.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

have knee-jerk reactions to even reasonable criticisms of her;

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

This is how a normal Palin posting goes:

Headline: Palin is ______________.

1st: Palin supporter defends her action.
2nd: Palin non supporter offers their opinion.
3rd: Palin post Antagonist labels any supporter a “Nista”
4th: Palin supporter brings out the flame thrower and flames anything that moves.
5th: The whole thread devolves into carnage.
6th: Comment count reaches 350 + and Allahpundit buys Kitty a new Ipad toy.

There are “Knee jerk” reactions and “Palin antagonists” on both sides.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Bots.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Yeah. Vote for DeVore.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Hello Barbara…I mean “Senator” Boxer. Congratulations on your re-election.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Not sorry; but still, couldn’t help it.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Bots.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Heh.

Martyr.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 6:45 PM

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Thank you, this was to be the main point of my next comment.

What if Palin turns out to be right, California Tea Partiers?

What if Fiorina, despite all of your noble activism, soundly defeats DeVore, then goes on to soundly defeat Boxer? Will that be something remotely acceptable?

Will you be able to admit you were wrong and Palin was right all along?

Will you come home when the time is right, or is this going to be an eternal grudge?

Just a couple of questions.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Here is an incomplete list of our Tea Party group’s “constructive” agenda:

* Arizona BuyCott.
* Getting the Feds to release water to our Central Valley.
* Repealing the CA version of Cap-and-trade (and hopefully stopping the fed version from becoming a reality).
* Promoting conservative causes and candidates
in June and November.
* Creating free, downloadable signs for Tea Party events.

Or is this not enough “constructive” for you? Just think of where Palin could have been had she been more discerning in her endorsement! Not to say her backing amongst this group of patriots won’t return, but I think the current poll numbers reflect some new thinking about Palin among many members of her base.

ddrtin: I think you are an example of why Palin should heed this proverb: “God save me from my friends – I can protect myself from my enemies.”

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

And Brian 1972, you’re right. But as an add on, let her tour tour now with a worthy adversary, or better yet, a rotating cast. If she’s the queen of all that, she’s golden.

Personally, I don’t think she could hold her own against a half-witted jackass like Bill Maher. All of her speeches thusfar read like… oh, I dunno… a set of Hot Air headline and comment threads?

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I’m somewhat suprised at your opinion that most Palin supporters aren’t aware of what is perceived of by those like “you and the Anchoress” as Palin’s weaknesses. Palin supporters who post at Hot Air get plenty of threads where she is dragged over the coals for every nitpicky thing she does. Of course how many times do you think a Palin supporter finds the meme of “she’s a quitter, a ditz,…” a particularly worthy fault to address? Of course now that some have added the “she’s a GOP establishment supporter, not a TP person” some variety is there.

As for knee-jerk reactions to criticism, IMO the “throw her to the wolves” response from the Hayworth, DeVore people seems to qualify as knee-jerk. Seems to me like their reaction painted them as rather self-serving – they supposedly supported Palin as long as she was going lockstep with their agenda and once she made an endorsement they didn’t agree with she suddenly became the enemy who muct be attacked.

katiejane on May 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

simple really she debates the other candidates in the primaries.

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Most of this poll is based on the assumption that Palin is not a political candidate. that she is not going to run. The MSM and the left have done their job well I guess. the problem with that meme is that once she decides to run and becomes that candidate then the entire meme fails.

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

This seems like an awful lot of resentment coming from a supposedly former supporter just because Palin didn’t endorse your candidate. You don’t think that if Devore wins Palin will support him in the fullest? The point of primaries is to find the best person. You think your guy is … Palin thinks her gal is. Whoever wins should then have the full support of all.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM

darwin:

WRONG! Read my post again. I am a registered Democrat. I will be voting for Kaus. I will end up voting for whoever the GOP sends my way, but I would prefer it to be Chuck.

Furthermore, should Fiorina be the primary winner, that still leaves many thousands of grassroots Devore supporters, who are genuinely active and engaged, in a pickle. Whose to say how much time, money, and effort they would be willing to send Fiorina’s way? Especially if these people sense the GOP muscled and manipulated Firoina into the top spot.

Additionally, I know the HillBuzz and many other out-of-staters where keen on supporting Devore in the November election. I do not know what they are apt to do, but you can’t assume all the Devore-support will flow directly to Firoina either.

Again, the bottom line is, the poll Allahpundit cites today reflects the first real mistake Palin has made, in my opinion.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM

1) She’s got bigger cojones than any of those guys.
2) She’s cheerful. We are going to need a cheerful leader. Half the people I know are contemplating seppuku for one reason or another, (no) jobs, world turning into a cinder next week, economy, the collapse of the fable of Obama, beloved Europe disappearing under a mountain of debt, etc.
When sovereign nations begin to sink like torpedoed liberty ships cheerful will be good.
3) All she has to do is lay out a program, a contract, a platform, whatever you want to call it. I expect she would create one that might surprise some people positively.
4) This might be just the moment for a great woman leader. In the right circumstance people will break their backs for her.
5) Although many think her stupid she is smarter than you might think. The people who despise her the most and think they are the brightest bulbs on the planet believe in non-existent AGW. She on the other hand doesn’t believe in the global warming fairy. Who is smarter? And she has the guts to say it.
6) Among other things this year she made $12 million, will have written or published two books, stuck a knife in Obamacare, raised a fairly large extended family, commuted from Alaska and baked cupcakes. That is, she seems to have a lot of energy.
7) I detect a reevaluation of her, in the MSM and other places. It is starting small and has a long way to go, but detectable.
8) Are the Keynesians, the Democratic Socialists, the Democrats pitching a big fat changeup that someone might be able to hit out of the park? Did she play softball?
9) All this doesn’t matter, the proof will be in the pudding. She is easy to underestimate.

Viator on May 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

LOL…..If you think Palin isn’t part of the TEa party movement you have issues. Her entire career has been part and parcel about the same issues as the TEA party movement. Because she didn’t back your guy you want to turn on the best friend you have at the national level to get your policies and ideas across?

Yeah your wattage isn’t ver yhigh is it?

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Pffff… these are all within the margin of error

Palin gets bashed by everyone and she’s essentially tied with the others and this is heart-ache??

Heart-ache would be Palin @ 8%

LurkerDood on May 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM

then why do I care what your socialist loving butt thinks?

Just the fact that you are a dem tells me your an idiot. Anyone that has seen the marxist in charge for the last year and have not disowned the dem party is aiding the enemy. And the fact that you ar eposting on a political blog says YOU have been paying attention.

I can maybe see those that don’t follow politics not denouncing the marxist takeover of this country but you have no excuse

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I just wanted to thank you. Your posting regarding your disagreement Palin have been reasoned, intelligent,and completely rational.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM

OK, but it almost sounds like you’re saying if Devore loses it’ll be Palin’s fault. I don’t think endorsements carry that much clout.

I do however, understand the disappoint and sense of betrayal if you will. I honestly think Palin’s goal is simply a win and Boxer’s defeat. If you would look at it from that viewpoint it might lessen the sting. It’s the big picture.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM

She won’t wish to afford a paycut. Life’s too good as it is and will be.

She’s not going to run, but likes the yakking about it anyway. This horse has run and lost. Move on.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM

He should be given a one time pass to let loose with “bots” and “Palinistas”.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Huckabee, Romney and Gingrich?Barf,barf and double barf!

sandee on May 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Where’s the bold move? Ann Coulter toured with Maher in the debate format, what’s Sarrrrahhcudaahh afraid of?

Are you telling that me in a metropolitan area of nine million people, proximal to Chicago, the last refuge of the gun manufacturer litigants, the political home of The One, home of Reverends Jackson and Wright, the Democratic Machine that put Joe Kennedy Sr’s boy in office, she couldn’t find even an alderman to debate?

Yes, that is preaching to the choir, then, when you offer only 4,400 seats in controlled sales.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

She won’t wish to afford a paycut. Life’s too good as it is and will be.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Palin does best when people underestimate her, and misinterpret her actions.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Why must she do anything with anyone NOW and no one else is required the same? Where the heck is Romney debating people and leading on issues? Why shouldn’t he prove himself to us NOW? After all, he spent millions of his own money and barely won any EV’s in the last primary cycle.

The point is that right now, all hands on deck for 2010 and dethroning Queen Botox. That is priority #1, and she is all about doing just that. Once we get these midterms behind us, then the prospective 2012 candidates will focus on each other more. Then we will know much more than we do now.

She may decide 2012 isn’t her time, and not run at all.

It’s all premature speculation about 2012. The time will come.

As for the speeches, you say “all”, have you read/watched them “all”? I’ve seen most of them, and they are pretty good in my book. She hits the right things for what the goal is right now.

Bill Maher doesn’t deserve a face to face with Sarah Palin. Who the f*^k is he to have merited a visit? He’s a smear artist, and a rather dumb one at that. He’s on the permanent ignore list for most Republicans anyway. No reason to appear there at all.

If Sarah Palin is going to run, she knows she will have to drop in on Meet the Press, Face the Nation, ect. ect. eventually. No need to do that right now. She can communicate with most of the country without those guys. She is purposefully going around them straight to the people. Like I said , all of that will come in time.

For now, people at these events can’t seem to find enough tickets to attend. Thousands, sometimes over ten thousand, in person. That is not a bad way to go about it.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Man, you guys have turned into the thing you despise most … BOTS … Hate Bots.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Well said, Viator.

rrpjr on May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

No. No matter if Devore WINS or LOSES, Palin will have lost much support and enthusiasm from a very engaged and passionate group of people.

The Big Picture is that Devore’s numbers indicate he is MORE likely to win than Fiorina against Boxer in November, so Palin should have done more homework before committing to an endorsement she didn’t need to make. That popped the bubble on the Palin balloon for many people who were inclined to consider her seriously in the 2012 election cycle.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Ron Paul hasn’t even declared that he will run yet. Wait until he does, then the poll numbers will be back to the top.

The Dean on May 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Lonesome Rhodes never looked so good in a skirt.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Palin does best when people underestimate her, and misinterpret her actions.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM

No underestimation. She won’t run because she’s smart.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM

…well, more cunning than smart…

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

OMG….name another politican that could get 4500 to come listen to them for free let alone at $60 bucks a pop in one of the bluest states in the USA?

Why would she stoop and debate a lowly alderman? I don’t ee Mitt out there debating anyone either. Why? because it is not done at this stage.

Nothing like trying to hold Palin once again to a double standard.

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I think a lot can happen in 6 months. If Palin does run, it will make things interesting. One thing she has in her favor is I don’t think she has any closets left that haven’t been checked for skeletons.

smokinjoe on May 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

That’s too bad then. She shouldn’t lose support for doing what she thinks is right. The only dog she has in any primary fight is the US of A. Nothing more, nothing less.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

The big picture of NOv doesn’t matter until June election is won/lost.

If Devore can’t break 20% in the GOP primary then he is finished that is the big picture. those looking ahead to NOv for Devore forgot they had to win in June. He might pull it out. a comet might kill us all too. but I’m not basing my worldview on either happening soon.

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Mitt basically is, for all intents and purposes, actively campaigning. She’s repeatedly emphasized a non-run posture; why not present her abilities, especially in a controlled forum such as a debate, when she -and the entire country- recognizes a perception of limited intellectual capacity and relatively limited experience?

Really, fan-boys, why not? How could debate not clarify the issues for the 2010 mid-term voter?

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Bullsh8T. If Devore loses Palin will be shown as being right. If he wins Palin will endorse and work to get him elected. either way by NOV and esp after DEC 99% of the people will have forgotten the primary battles. hell a majority would have forgotten the 2010 general battles. By 2011 the 2010 congressional races will be a thing of the past and NOONe will care who endorsed whom except those that got elected because of that endorsement.

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Here is an incomplete list of our Tea Party group’s “constructive” agenda:

* Arizona BuyCott.
* Getting the Feds to release water to our Central Valley.
* Promoting conservative causes and candidates
in June and November.
* Creating free, downloadable signs for Tea Party events.

That isn’t all Tea Party. And by all means, support your own candidates. That’s much better than whining and moaning about Palin’s treachery. *sniffle*

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Whatevs.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

These numbers you keep referring to, where are they? Link?

I haven’t seen them. All I have seen is consistent distant third place.

When Fiorina and DeVore were on the Hannity show at the Reagan Library together, he did not impress me very much.

He tried to turn the show into an attack ad for himself, when Fiorina used all of her time attacking Boxer and Obama. It just looked real clumsy and poorly handled, not very classy. Bad optics. Maybe that was his “bad day”, but he picked a heck of a bad time to have it.

Bottom line is, if you are correct, DeVore will win this primary and go on to defeat Boxer.

If Sarah is correct, it is the Carly show. Will you still vote against Boxer? Or will a grudge take precedence?

These are the kind of questions the so-called “Palin-bots” get all the time, by the way.

They are legitimate questions.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM

portlandon: Thank you so much for your kind words. They more than make up for some of the derogatory terms used in several comments. Though I am a registered Democrat, I have been actively engaged in the Tea Party movement since its inception, and am no Marxist. In fact, my website is the “Shrine of Flaming Capitalism” — and I am working hard to stem the socialist/victicrat tide that has taken over my party. Not all of us can flee the sinking ship; some of us have to stay to point where the lifeboats are!

I am a Jeffersonian Democrat — like Victor Davis Hanson, who many of you admire and who is also a registered California Democrat.

Basically, I just wanted to underscore that no matter who wins the GOP Primary, it cost Palin a lot of support among a very good bunch of people who support Devore because he is a man among men AND has been an avid Tea Party attendee since the beginning — not a Carly-come-lately. She didn’t need to make the endorsement, and it was a big mistake.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Meh. She could probably do as well as Romney. Mitt would probably leave the set as a liberal Democrat.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

…Why would she stoop and debate a lowly alderman? I don’t ee Mitt out there debating anyone either. Why? because it is not done at this stage…

unseen on May 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM

And really, I don’t want a chess match; I want the leader the fan-boys claim she is.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

The Dean on May 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Yep. There it is.

*sigh* The thread is now complete.

Bee on May 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I’d LOVE to hear Mitt debate health care.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

We’re waiting for the same from Mitt.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Excuse me, but where did I assert allegiance to Mitt?

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Excuse me, but where did I assert allegiance to Mitt?

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM

That’s not the point. An equal standard is the point.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Oh, please. You’re the one who came in going on about Palinistas.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Fine. Support whomever you want.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Mitt is not “actively campaigning”. I haven’t seen or heard of him campaigning anywhere lately except for the Utah State GOP convention when he personally endorsed and introduced Senator Bennett, who proceeded to get knocked out of his primary nomination in the first round of balloting. Boy that went over like a lead balloon.

I ask again, why must there be one set of rules for every politician, then another set of rules for Sarah Palin to follow?

She is proving herself, step by step. She is doing the right things right now. No one is running for President right now except Obama. That won’t change until early next year.

I don’t see the wisdom in this “debate tour” idea of yours.

You just hope she will nuke herself out of the race before the race begins, which is nonsensical unless it is fear that once running, she will catch on and your preferred candidate will be left in the dust. That is the only way it makes any sense.

If she is as lame as you seem convinced she is, then when the time comes she will implode, you can do a happy dance and all will be well. If she doesn’t implode, however, then a lot of people in the GOP are going to have to re-evaluate everything.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I do not think that is what you want at all.

You want the failure the media claims she is.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Mitt will never register, due to Mormanism, with anyone with an IQ above 118 or below 105; Gingrich flops more than a carp on the dock, and is just as repulsive; McCain is borderline psychotic, I know I met him; and Huckabee is actually dumber than Palin…

…and Palin is nothing more than verbose pet-shop parrot.

The field is rightly wide open on our side; and I’m hoping the bones roll just right for Christie.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:43 PM

She shouldn’t lose support for doing what she thinks is right.

Darwin: That is not a valid argument. Obama thinks what he is doing is right — should his support levels then remain as high as they once were? I think not.

Palin made a mistake by not doing her homework. There was once a ton of support for her among very engaged Californians, some which has evaporated because they view that Palin backed a RINO. I know, because I talk with many of them on a daily basis.

Granted, Devore needs to win the primary, and his numbers are growing as undecideds actually are making their choices. Here is a link to the Rasmussen analysis showing he does better than Fiorina against Babs, and here is a link showing his primary poll numbers increasing.

Will I vote for the non-Devore candidate in November? It depends. If Mickey Kaus takes the Democratic Primay, I will vote for him. However, given the slim chance of that occurring I will be voting for the GOP winner in November.

The difference is that the Campbell or Fiorina will not be getting my money, my time, or my wonderful graphics as part of the November campaign. I will be doing other “constructive” things. I sense other Tea Party activists will be making similar choices.

I respect the work of Palin-supporters; and I, myself, still remain one, though at a lesser level. I am merely reporting the views of many others who are grassroot Devore supporters who are no longer enchanted with Sarah.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

If that is true, than fine. She will take the hit.

I admire Palin for her ability to do what SHE thinks if right. If she had mindlessly picked the Tea Party candidate simply because he is THE tea party candidate, I would think less of her for having done so.

Palin has endorsed many conservatives, Emmer in Minnesota, Duffy in Wisonsin, Paul in Kentucky, Rubio in Florida, and of course the RINO McCain.

I will judge her on the whole of her endorsements, rather than just one.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:43 PM

That is a long, long shot.

His first term isn’t up until 2014, and if he does a great job then New Jersey should re-elect him, right?

They sure need to, IMHO. That state is a top 3 basket case in America right now.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:51 PM

…You want the failure the media claims she is.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:41 PM

This is just politics; I want a medium-rare 24 oz. porterhouse, a caesar salad, baked ‘tater, and three locally brewed brewski’s.

You seem to want your fantasies fulfilled.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I will judge her on the whole of her endorsements,and the results, rather than just one.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM

There.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:53 PM

You seem to want your fantasies fulfilled.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:43 PM

So do you, champ.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I did say “hoping”, but you got me there; thanks fer playin’.

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Doorgunner on May 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM

All anyone is doing is hoping and wishing at this point.

It’s all a moot point until after this November.

Then it’s a brand new ball game, on a totally different playing field.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Counterintuitive information regarding the candidates:

1) Newt Gingrich is polling 21% overall but only at 17% in the South (tied for 3rd with Romney) which is his bailiwick and the lowest of the 4 regions.

2)Mitt Romney’s F are the lowest of the 4 candidates (not including Ron Paul)among GOP primary voters in the overall category and conservative category but still is touted as “the next one” despite that at least 2/3 of GOP primary voters are conservative.

3) Mike Huckabee leads in the overall category and in several other categories in polling numbers including conservative representation and his price on INTRADE is still mired in “dark horse” territory.

4) And Sarah Palin leads in 11 of 14 F categories but finishes fourth in a contest of 5 candidates.

technopeasant on May 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM

no matter who wins the GOP Primary, it cost Palin a lot of support among a very good bunch of people who support Devore…

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Here’s the sad truth for you: she can afford to lose support from Californians because she won’t ever win that state.

alwaysfiredup on May 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM