PPP poll: Palin now fourth behind Gingrich in GOP primary match-up

posted at 5:35 pm on May 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Heh. Admittedly, this is pure comment bait, but I do find it fascinating that she remains the most popular Republican in these polls month after month while making no headway against Huck and Mitt and actually losing ground to a dark horse like Gingrich. I don’t want to overstate things — she’s only five points back of the lead — but a media superstar with a double-digit edge in favorability who’s already been on a national ticket and who’s wildly more dynamic than her competition should probably be … way ahead, no? Instead, this:

Huckabee leads the way, such as it is, with 25%. He’s followed by Romney at 23%, Gingrich at 21%, and Palin at 20%. Ron Paul finishes further back with 8%.

Palin continues to be by far the most well liked of the Republican candidates, with 69% of GOP voters holding a favorable opinion of her. That’s more than 10 points higher than any of the other potential contenders with 58% viewing Huckabee positively, 57% for Gingrich, and 54% for Romney. But that higher level of favorability is not translating into support for President.

Huckabee has clear leads in the South and Midwest, and is up with conservatives and women. Romney is ahead in the West, and holds the advantage with moderates and men.

I have no explanation except that doubts about her qualifications must run almost as deep among Republicans as they do among independents. Although here’s an interesting theory from the Anchoress, who also rates Sarahcuda favorably:

Palin’s base needs to calm down a little, and realize that when they act like the rightwing version of gaga-eyed Obamabots, they’re not helping their candidate. There is no such thing as a “perfect” person, certainly no such thing as a “perfect” politician, and when I hear someone refer to Palin as “my Sarah,” or I get an email from someone for daring to criticize “our Sarah,” I frankly want to puke. Such emails do not convince me to “love” Sarah Palin, they actually make me distrust her political viability all the more, because I distrust emotionalism in politics.

That sounds … familiar. Her diehard supporters at C4P are already marking their calendars for her official presidential campaign announcement — February 6, 2011 in Illinois, if you’re wondering — but assuming my “no qualifications” theory is correct (and it probably is), chart me a path to how she overcomes that in the next 10 months with no elective office and only Fox News segments and another book tour available to show her experience and mastery of the issues. Make me believe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Let the thread love begin….

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Gee, I wonder if the absolutely iron clad constant bashing of her by the media has anything to do with her popularity? Hmm, let me consider that…

WitchDoctor on May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

She ain’t running. But behind NEWT? I must officially call BS. I can’t even believe Schmuckabee is polling above 2 percent.

fiatboomer on May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

She MUST change her diction. Until she can learn to speak in a neutral tone, without twang, she will continue to fall in the polls. Rush even sent her a hint about his “Missouri Twang” and how he got rid of it.

Sarah, listen to Rush. Lose the twang… Love your message, hate the twang.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

This.

fiatboomer on May 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Time will tell

Guardian on May 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Her name was Dede Scozzafava.
Her name was Dede Scozzafava.
Her name was Dede Scozzafava.
Her name was Dede Scozzafava…

MadisonConservative on May 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

scary he’s climbed to 8% but still, should put to rest the narrative developing that he leads GOP as evidence of CPAC and other polls he’s recently bought

jp on May 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Sorry, but if she wants to run for president someday she’ll have to run for another lower office again… like Senator or for Alaska’s single house seat… she has to prove she is still able to win in Alaska again…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Palin/Bachmann 2012, baby!

It’ll be better than the ‘pocalypse!

Bruno Strozek on May 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Her favorable rating is 69% among Republicans. Her popularity is fine.

Allahpundit on May 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I haven’t seen anything on Conservatives4Palin about the Rasmussen poll. Did I miss it?

Mark1971 on May 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM

She’ll have to kick butt in the debates.

RedRedRice on May 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Watch this. In the month of August, she will lose the ‘twang’ in her accent, and begin to speak using her own words, without accent.

It will be at that moment in time, in the week beginning August 2nd (hopefully sooner), she will arise as a powerhouse and will make the entire Administration call in a double order of depend undergarments. Brown hail will ensue.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I feel used….heh

d1carter on May 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I doubt it. Republicans don’t much trust most of the media anyway, and the media outlet they trust most (according to a poll) is Fox News, which is deferential towards her.

YYZ on May 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Ap, I like you and everything but please stop saying heartach when polls like these comes out. Everyone knows you’re happier then a pig in sh*t that she’s going down in the polls.

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I just don’t think it has to do with qualifications at all. No one cares. I’m a big Sarah fan, but admittedly, part of me would like to enter the 2012 cycle without having to worry about the constant Tina Fey-ization and blatant media venom towards our nominee right from the get-go. (Of course, it’ll inevitably arrive, no matter who Republicans pick, but a couple weeks of policy talk instead of the “latest controversy” talk seems refreshing.)

rightheaded on May 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Heartache?

Silly. She’s not even campaigning and she’s in fourth place. She is, however, laughing all the way to the bank, right past the Olbys, Tinglers, and other lesser Obamites.

I’m convinced that AllahP has a crush on Sarah…Big Time…and uses these types of posts as a cover.

BobMbx on May 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM

jp on May 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I beg your pardon. Didn’t we let polls like this put John McCain on the top of the 2008 ticket? Are you embarrassed now?

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM

She’ll have to kick butt in the debates.

RedRedRice on May 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM

This. It’s the only way.

WisRich on May 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

2010 folks, Nov. 2010

Inanemergencydial on May 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Neither Palin, Gingrich, Romney, or Huckabee will be the nominee.

nickj116 on May 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Had it not been for a twang, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, and Lyndon Baines Johnson might have been elected.

YYZ on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Progressive push polling will gladly pick our candidate, but don’t let them.

tim c on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I think it’s because most people assume she’s not running anyway. If she were to announce tomorrow that she is indeed running, the Internet would be aflame.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Neither Palin, Gingrich, Romney, or Huckabee will be the nominee.

nickj116 on May 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I think you’re right.

Mark1971 on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I wonder what I’ll have for dinner tonight?

Let me do a poll and find out.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

We need to argue and articulate principles and values and not get stuck in the mud over identity.

Conservative Voice on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

No … what you see is what you get. Most people don’t understand that. They’re waiting for some other shoe to drop. Until people figure out that Sarah Palin is the only person willing to speak truthfully about everything, and forcefully challenge the left her numbers won’t be big. However, when the light bulb finally comes on her numbers will rise.

darwin on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I hope none of these people being polled to run in 2012 are actually running in 2012… Romney is the only one that’s sort of ok…

Here is the list of people that need to be polled…

Pawlenty
Mitch Daniels
Some female wild card… Condi Rice, Susan Colins, or someone who’s actually pro-life…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Yeah, and I’ve got some beach front property in Kansas to sell you. Nice try.

Redneck Woman on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

YYZ on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

That makes no sense.

a capella on May 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Make me believe.

Governor Palin is not in “running” mode right now. She is in “policy” and “leadership” mode. Think of who has been out in front on all the tough and important fights. It’s Palin — not Huckabee, not Romney, not Gingrich.

scrubjay on May 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Gingrich? Oh, please.

Del Dolemonte on May 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Really, no one cares, it’s way to early for this horse race nonsense three years from now. More important fish to fry, ie this November.

Rebar on May 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

YYZ on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Speak English, please.

Del Dolemonte on May 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Alternate headline: Allahpundit hates America!

I kid, kid! :)

ThePrez on May 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Make me believe.

Wait and see?

Inanemergencydial on May 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

That makes no sense.

I was responding to someone who said Palin had to lose her twang.

YYZ on May 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Susan Colins, or someone who’s actually pro-life…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Susan Collins???? LOL

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

They told Nixon he was done in the 60′s.
They told Reagan he was done in the 70′s.
The told Bush he was done in 2004.

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

There’s no freaking campaign Allapundit!!! Gosh darn it and you’re suppose to be a professional blogger! Check Obama’s numbers at this point in the cycle in his run for the White House! She is actually well positioned. She doesn’t want to be the presumed front runner now, ala Giuliani, but she still has the love of the base. That’s all that matters.

milemarker2020 on May 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Susan Colins, or someone who’s actually pro-life…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Susan Collins???? LOL

I know it’s hilarious… but I actually think she could win…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

allahpundit plainly doesn’t have a damned clue about the endemic bias in polling agencies, OR what a ‘push poll’ is.
And if he spent more time learning about such things than this constant muckraking on his fav redmeat metatopics, we’d all be better off.

rayra on May 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Awe. The WH is sweating. Ninja, why don’t you mozy on down to San Fran Nan’s green boutique cafeteria and indulge yourself on Michelle Obama’s new menu choices? You deserve a break today. Your choices as the nightly blog monitor are the following:

1. Arugula. Plain. Plain yogurt optional. No soda.
2. Arugula. With dressing. Low fat, turns out its vinegar and water… sorta like a douche in the old woman days.
3. Arugula. Con beef. But the beef is tofu. You lose.
4. Chicken. Plain. Boiled. No side items.. too fattening.
5. Taco. Soooorrry. We just race baited you. There are no taco’s here. Taco’s are racist.
6. Pastrami. No bread. Turkey Pastrami. No cheese. No grilling. Just a slice of cured beef. You have to get in line for MO’s approval police on the salt factor.
7. YoGurt.
8. Apple. It’s approved, but you have to check the sugar factor in with the Mo-donkadonk food police. She doesn’t want your hiney to look like her “apple”.
9. Bacon. You will be arrested, so don’t even look at it.
10. Sausage. You can view how we manipulate the law and the Constitution, but you cannot eat it.

Enjoy!

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Susan Colins, or someone who’s actually pro-life…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

………
………
………

portlandon on May 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

scrubjay on May 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

What policy and what leadership exactly? She is not an elected official any longer. Op-Eds and Facebook postings don’t a Churchhill make. Er scratch the Op-eds she hasn’t done one yet has she?
I

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

YYZ on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM

That makes no sense.

a capella on May 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I think YYZ was referring (with snark) to comment above saying Sarah needs to lose the twang if she wants to be electable.

rightheaded on May 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

On FB today, all the threads supporting Arizona’s fight against illegal immigration were saying how good it was that she stood up for the girls’ basketball team. Even those that claimed that they don’t like her, admitted she took it to the administrators. I’m with Del. Gingrich? Puhleeze.

kingsjester on May 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

to show her experience and mastery of the issues.

How have Romney and Huckabee shown any “mastery of the issues”, and why is it somehow uniquely incumbent upon Palin to show such “mastery”?

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM

rayra on May 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

OMG! Rayra? From the very old days of LGF? Is that you???

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Susan Colins, or someone who’s actually pro-life…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Susan Collins???? LOL

I know it’s hilarious… but I actually think she could win…

ninjapirate on May 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

ROFL…stop it with the jokes.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM

AP, the comment about Palin announcing on Reagan’s 100th birthday actually came from Kevin Dujan from HillBuzz. His essay was posted at C4P as part of a new relationship between the two websites. If you had actually taken the time to read the essay that contained this prediction, you would have known this. I guess saying the C4Per’s made the prediction fits your agenda better.

NoNails on May 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Please, Huck, just keep doing your boring TV show. Please.

Bugler on May 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

The Anchoress:

Yep.

Buy Danish on May 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Are there ANY Huckabee supporters here??? I mean, supporters not named apacalyps?

Someone tell me who is actually supporting this guy.

fiatboomer on May 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

*Sigh.* This looks like a statistical dead heat to me. Why do we keep beating this dead horse? We’ve debated this ad nauseum. NO ONE even knows if she’ll run, including Palin herself. This is a pointless exercise at this stage. It might be that none of the people being polled will run. What then? What in the world will we talk about?

And this:

I’m so tired of this characterization. The sort of person who would take the time to write to someone they don’t even know to defend her are a very small minority I would think. For every email you guys get from some rabid, raging Palinista, how many of us never write? PLEASE STOP painting us all with the same brush.

And BTW, it’s possible that if Palin supporters weren’t constantly met with bashing they wouldn’t be so sensitive. Just a thought.

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Leftoid 2012 meme:

But she was born in Alaska before it became a state, so she’s not an American citizen!

As Obama knows too well, the accusation always has more strength than any later corrections.

Slime LOUD!!!, retract with a whisper.

Probably 10% of the people would believe this slanderous silliness and not vote for her because of the doubt it raised.

Gingrich is AGW toast with anyone but the braindead.

Huck is a popcorn fried squirrel eating crank with no chance in a national election.

Mitt is Obamacare, the early years.

We need better candidates than these three fellows.

Palin has more testicular fortitude than these lamesters, so she is still ahead of the guys in guts, love of America, and killer instinct.

profitsbeard on May 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

This.

I like her and agree with her on many issues but that does NOT qualify you to be POTUS. This country made that mistake with Obama and now look where we’re at.

Yakko77 on May 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

She’s not running in 2012, doesn’t matter anyway but just in case……

Wasn’t Reagan about 4,000 points behind Carter during the 1980 primary season?

Wasn’t he belittled as a bafoon and a amiable dunce?

What were the chances that Lincoln would be in the White House 2 years later after the 1858 Senate election in Illinois?

All this means nothing anyway the country is collapsing before November, elections won’t be allowed after the new Earth Charter and New World Order take over.

America….nothing to see here…..Go back to your kids getting their happy meals, Krispy Kreme donuts, Cokes thru Drivethru? Anyway, just go back to your X-Boxes or Playstations.

“strike outs” above provided by Obama Administrations’ new Internet/Blog czar.

PappyD61 on May 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

New term…”poll sniffer” that’s all they do…run poll…comment/analyze…repeat…mean absolutely zero

winston on May 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Someone tell me who is actually supporting this guy.

fiatboomer on May 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Not everyone in the GOP visits HotAir. Plenty of HA commenters are Palinistas. It is called skew.

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I know polls give a snap shot on how things stand currently.
It doesn’t take a genius to look at the polls from the last Presidential election to know that Polls don’t mean crap.
I believe Hilary was the front runner for the dems and if I remember correctly at one point during the campaign there was talk that McCain should just drop out of the race altogether. So, polls may help a candidates shape their message…it most certainly will not predict who will win the nomination or even the election.

lwssdd on May 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Emigration, fallout shelters and crisis gardens. LOL

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

At least AP now admits he uses Palin for comment hits – we’re making progress.

I don’t know if Palin will run – at this point has any politician committed to running? Perhaps Palin is reading the blogs and making a list of all the “wise” guidance she gets from posters? Like modify her basic speech pattern because apparently some voters are so shallow that they find it off-putting. Run for some other office to prove that she can get Alaska’s 3 electoral votes.

I know I will be accused of playing the victim card but IMO the Right is no more inclined to support a woman for POTUS than the Left is. Many of the “I like her but…” crowd are happy for her to play the cheerleader to raise money, snark at Obama and fire up the base but think the candidate should be someone “with gravitas.”

katiejane on May 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

The Goodness and Light that is Obama?

BobMbx on May 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Bradky on May 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Find me a Huck supporter, then.

fiatboomer on May 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Listen. In 2006-2007 we knew Bush was toast.

In early 2007 we let the MSM pick our candidates. McCain ran against Bush and against Clintoon in the late 90′s. I liked him then, but he was much younger.

After 9/11 I was glad Bush was in office, but I did not vote for him.

Now. This is the point. Do NOT allow the MSM to decide the candidates for the GOP 2010 or 2012 elections, and that includes Mitt Romney. The more I look at Mitt, the more he starts to look like a MSM Progressive Republican.

Let’s choose carefully and let’s not allow the ugh”media”ugh to define our choices. Never again.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM

As a Californian who was an avid supporter of Palin, let me explain this result.

I am a co-founder of a large Tea Party group (the Southern California Tax Revolt Coalition). While I am a registered Democrat, the other two women I founded the group with are Republicans who have been actively supporting Chuck Devore for the US Senate. Most of the engaged Tea Party activists are for Chuck.

While I am truly excited by Mickey Kaus, Boxer’s primary opponent, I am anticipating that I will vote GOP in November — Boxer is no longer acceptable as a representative (and I say that after having voted for her in 1992). I like Chuck, and he has many friends among independent Democrats in this state. HillBuzz, the group of independent Democrat activists in Chicago, also support Devore — and they were one of the reasons Scott “Hottie McAwesome” Brown’s election became a national matter.

To gauge the level of support at the grassroots level, here are the numbers: Fiorina’s staged “Tea Party” attendance on April 15rh at Tuna Harbor in San Diego was about 100; Devore’a real Tea Party attendance was over 3000. A current Rasmussen poll shows that Devore does slightly better than Fiorina against Babs.

Palin made an unforced error when endorsing Fiorina, who is clearly the choice of the GOP establishment. The GOP elites in the state want a rich candidate to pay their own way in — I guess there are too many topless bars to pay for with donation monies. Furthermore, they think that Californians are a bunch of rubes who will only vote for a woman to replace another woman AND that Democrats in this state won’t vote for Chuck.

As my friend, Dawn Wildman said, Palin has shown herself to be an “establishment girl” and not the Barracuda she was promoted to be. Tea Party activists, especially in California or those who have been closely following our senate race, feel burnt and betrayed.

Dawn, and the other GOP co-founder, are done with Palin. The other co-founder is removing all Palin gear from her t-shirt site. Palin is probably among the last choices they would like for the top of the ticket in 2012. And these are two women who were looking forward to the chance to vote for her in the 2012 Presidential primary. I have gone from being an avid supporter to a tepid one. I probably won’t even bother to buy Palin’s new book.

Damn, I was looking forward to making a career of doing Palin impersonations when she became President. I could have been a star!

Those of you who think Palin is 100% error-proof are deluded, just as Allahpundit has warned you. Palin should have kept out of the California Senate race. It cost her more dearly than she could imagine.

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I feel your pain, and yes we can.

We don’t need your love for Sarah. We’ll settle for your vote.

BobMbx on May 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Oh really? Tell that to her detractors.

Dongemaharu on May 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Find me a Huck supporter, then.

fiatboomer on May 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Mrs. Huck?

BobMbx on May 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

The media barrage has convinced a large amount of the populace that Palin is unelectable. People don’t want to throw support behind an unelectable candidate. If Palin can overcome this media stereotype, she will jump into the lead. Rubio did it, but without nearly as much pushback from the media. It also doesn’t help that the “in” group of Republicans continues to denigrate her.

Buford Gooch on May 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

winston on May 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

You just described David Axeldouche’s position, with Rahm as his teabagger.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Because she’s just a dumb girl. Duh.

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Who has said she’s error-proof? And which error-proof alternative who is true-blue Tea Party-approved and who walks that line perfectly and who’s also electable do you suggest?

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM

CUDA
Guy-who-says-”CUDA”-in-palin-threads on May 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Dongemaharu on May 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM

well, as for Sarah Palin supporters calming down… where were all these friggin conservative republicans when the left was trashing Sarah and only her supporters like conservatives4palin.com were sticking up for her? they were cowering in their friggin corners… bunch of pussies.
If Sarah Palin had not quit and attacked the left when she did, where exactly do you think the republicans would be? if not for her “death panels” and talking up the Tea Party and bringing national tv coverage to it by the hating lsm, where would that movement be? So screw you all you limp republicans because she has more guts than you and will wipe the floor with any of these so-called leaders in the republican party when the time comes to battle them. I’ll put $100 on it.

PhilipJames on May 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM

If Huckabee gets the nomination, the Republicans can kiss the Presidency goodbye for decades.

flawedskull on May 13, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Oh dearest Anchoress, welcome to every Hotair Palin comment thread ever.

But like the Obamabots, I just don’t think we’re going to get through to the Palinistas.

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I think Rush will have a talk with Sarah about her diction. At least, that is my hope.

Key West Reader on May 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

^ I’d also say that tea partiers are making a mistake if they think that each and every candidate MUST have that Tea Party Seal of Approval ™.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Heh. Admittedly, this is pure comment bait

Heh. Do you think there is a single Hotair commenter who didn’t figure that out many months ago?

MB4 on May 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Have the 2012 primaries been moved to 2010? If not, then please post some polls showing where Rubio stands for 2016. Just as relevant…

joejm65 on May 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 13, 2010 at 6:02 PM

As a fellow Californian, I just want to thank you for your tireless effort to elect Tom Campbell, or even better — Barbara Boxer — to the United States Senate.

God Bless.

rightheaded on May 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM

PhilipJames on May 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM

A lot of them were joining in the trashing.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM

#4 is a great spot for someone that isn’t running for anything that I know of. Plenty of folks who are running are way behind her.

I’d say it was something to celebrate rather than worry about.

Guardian on May 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Heh. Admittedly, this is pure comment bait

MB4 on May 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

B+

winston on May 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM

It has become like one mass version of Hugh Hewitt pushing Romney back in 2008. How did that work out?

MB4 on May 13, 2010 at 6:11 PM

The Fiorina endorsement probably hasn’t helped much at all.

darii on May 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again. If Huckabee or Romney, or for that matter Gingrich is our nominee, we will lose. These guys are THE PAST, not our future. Why do we only consider nominees who “deserve” it or who’s “turn” it is (eg. Dole, McCain). We have SO MUCH TALENT in the House of Reps and a couple of good guys in the Senate.
PLEASE, OH PLEASE, lets stop talking about the Huckster and Romney.

edgehead on May 13, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Note to The Anchoress and other anti-Palinista folks: quit it with the strawman arguments. No one (or at least not very many) are saying she’s “perfect”.

And Reagan wasn’t elected on the basis of cold rationalism alone, I’d add.

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Let’s keep our focus on 2010. Once we gain seats, then start plotting for 2012.

jbh45 on May 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM

* No one is, I should say

ddrintn on May 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Oh yes.

Remember the Rudy ’08 juggernaut that was supposed to sweep over the Clinton Machine straight to the White House?

How’s that workin’ out fer ya?

Brian1972 on May 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

And the concept that there is no perfect candidate will never be understood by the people who delight in labeling Palin toast for everything she does. It’s rather hypocritical for you and the Anchoress to criticize Palin supporters for “thinking she’s perfect” when you criticize her because she’s not.

katiejane on May 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM

2010 folks, Nov. 2010

Inanemergencydial on May 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

This. Please.

redwhiteblue on May 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Well, yes. I loathe the media with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but they did their job well regarding her and the damage is done. Even if she could unite every Republican around her, a tall order to say the least, she’ll never get enough independents won over to win. Whine about the Tina Fey impression if you want, but that is how most independents see her – as someone who might personally be likeable, but is a bit of a bumpkin and a dunce and not the sort you’re willing to give the keys to the castle to.

And some of you are in denial about the problems she has, and get angry when her flaws are pointed out, because you think people like Allah or her other critics (or, more acurately defined, cynics) hate her, when that’s not really true. I find Sarah Palin to be rather likeable and charming, as much as a politician can be that is. But I’m a pragmatist, and I just don’t think she can win. And as Allah pointed out, she doesn’t have a lot of time or opportunity left in which to change the minds of people who think that way.

Vyce on May 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM