Great news: Obama “firm pledge” on taxes now a “preference”

posted at 12:15 pm on May 13, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Peter Orszag delivered the change in nomenclature on Barack Obama’s tax policy to a group of reporters at a Thomson Reuters breakfast yesterday, and the Daily Beast’s LLoyd Grove couldn’t quite believe his ears. He pressed the OMB Director for clarification, and got more obfuscation instead (via Instapundit):

Remember President Obama’s supposedly inviolable pledge—repeatedly uttered during the 2008 campaign and at countless town meetings since the inauguration—that he would never raise taxes on middle-class citizens who earn $250,000 a year or less?

This morning at a Manhattan breakfast sponsored by Thomson Reuters, White House Budget Director Peter Orszag threw that pledge out the window. Instead, he described Obama’s “read my lips, no new taxes” pledge as a “stance” and a “preference” that is subject to study by the president’s newly formed bipartisan Commission on Fiscal Responsibility.

“The president has been very clear about what he prefers,” Orszag said under questioning from Thomson Reuters’ Chrystia Freeland. “That was his stance during the campaign, and he still believes that’s the right course forward. But he has also been very clear that we shall let the commission go do its work.”

Grove reminded Orszag of Obama’s promise, and Orszag accused Grove of playing a “game”:

Later on during the breakfast, Orszag resisted my attempts to pin him down when I asked if the White House could live with a tax increase on the middle class.

“No, I didn’t say that,” he answered. “What I did say is look, the typical thing that’s going to happen, and it’s already been happening, is everyone is going to come along with this idea—the value added tax, this thing under $250,000, Social Security, Medicare changes, what have you—and you’re looking for us to say no, yes, no, yes, no, yes—which will mean that the commission has absolutely nothing to talk about and nothing to do. The president has been very clear that we’re not going to play that game.”

Well, did Obama promise not to increase taxes on the middle class? During the campaign, John McCain hit Obama hard on the expensive agenda Obama was fronting, warning that Obama’s massive spending would require steep across-the-board tax hikes. In July 2008, Obama denied that it would cost the middle class anything at all:

And I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase — not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital-gains taxes, not any of your taxes.

That’s not equivocal at all. Obama defended his high-spending agenda by promising that it wouldn’t cost the middle class an extra dime in taxes. Now that it’s getting implemented, suddenly talking about the potential for taxes is a “game” and is now the responsibility of an unelected, unaccountable commission, and not the responsibility of the man spending all the money.

That’s a game, all right — one we’ve seen from slick Washington politicians for decades.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bush left things worse than expected.

seven on May 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

The only promise Barry will end up keeping is that he’s only half-white and this is a historic first, yada, yada, yada, hip hip horray.

Everything else is out the window and scattered on the front lawn.

NoDonkey on May 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Did he learn nothing from H.W.?

LastRick on May 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I’d like to thank those middle-class women who voted for Obama.

ladyingray on May 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Let me be clear…

modnar on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Expiration dates and fine print on everything this arrogant twunt says.

Holger on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Welcome to reality, 52%’ers, your stupidity and guilt are really paying off now.

Bishop on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

“Ahhh, I love it when a plan comes together.”

- BHO

BardMan on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Isn’t it nice how comfortable they are with saying “value added tax” – bohica.

lorien1973 on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Orzag’s response to the question was really articulate…

/s

D2Boston on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Dear Liar-in-Chief

Chip on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Predictable.

davek70 on May 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

This should destroy any chance he has of getting re-elected just as it did Bush #1.

Johnnyreb on May 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Fantastic news!

*Cries a little*

nickj116 on May 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

His crack commission will give Obama all the excuses he needs to forget all about that campaign promise.

Fletch54 on May 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Oh and elections have consequences. Stupid clueless electorate. How’s that Obama vote workin out for ya?

davek70 on May 13, 2010 at 12:22 PM

This is something a 5th grader would notice:

Since whatever comes out of the deficit commission will be it’s plan, and not Obama’s plan, his pledge/promise/stance/guideline to not raise taxes is intact.

“Does your dog bite?”

“No”

barkbarksnarlbitebitebark

“I thought you said your doesn’t bite”

“Thats not my dog”

~Pink Panther

BobMbx on May 13, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Dear Leader has a clear way out… “under his plan” (of magic, unicorns, and rainbows) there would be no tax increases, but since Bush left him such a mess (that no one could tell at the time but will take at least 4 years to clean up, as it will be claimed in 2012) our Great Leader had no choice but to change his plan. Nevermind that anyone with a brain could see this coming a while away (hell, even McCain dinging him on this, and McCain played Obama with kid gloves the whole time).

Wineaholic on May 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM

0bama lies?

I’m shocked, I tell you, shocked!

Rebar on May 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Is there a “hard pivot” in there somewhere? A “firm pledge” then a “stance” then a “preference”…..I’m just having trouble keeping track of this game. I would have to assume that there was a hard pivot in there at some point in the game… but, that’s just me.

ted c on May 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Wow, the media and lat night comedians are going to be all over this!

Or maybe not.

forest on May 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Don’t forget what happened to the last politician whose stance became an issue.

BobMbx on May 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Did he learn nothing from H.W.?

He doesn’t believe in anthing before him so no, Giggles didn’t learn anything from H.W.

crazy_legs on May 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM

You think he is bold now, wait until his power is secure.

Then you will see a boldness.

Inanemergencydial on May 13, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I would like to point out that clip when Obama unequivocally made that pledge, that the Dear Liar read those words off of notes on the lectern – so it wasn’t an unscripted moment or the fault of the TelePrompter.

It was an unequivocal LIE.

Chip on May 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Johnnyreb on May 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

52% of people didn’t get the fact that he was a socialist in 2008. They won’t figure it out in 2012, I’m sure.

lorien1973 on May 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

The spin machine ought to reach warp speed on this lie.

GnuBreed on May 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

This entire post is misleading. Obama did not give a pledge only not to raise taxes on those who make $250k and less, he also mentioned $200k and $150k on other occasions.

If Lloyd Grove would have paid attention to what The One had actually said during the long campaign, he wouldn’t have been surprised to find out this campaign promise was nothing more than just that, a campaign promise that is meant to be broken.

Besides, hasn’t Obama pretty much broken, discarded or mocked pretty much all his campaign promises to date? It’s close, but the only people not laughing are those that bought into Hopenchange Inc.

Chad_ on May 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I think ‘LIE!’ is the word yer lookin’ for there champ.

BigWyo on May 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

“If you like your tax bracket, you can keep your tax bracket.”

BuckeyeSam on May 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Time for the bumper sticker “I was anti-Obama before it was popular”.

txhsmom on May 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Isn’t it wonderful to live in a Republic where so much work is done by unelected czars and “commissions” who never have to be confirmed or questioned by representatives of the people?

reaganaut on May 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Not to worry. His “Making Work Pay tax cut” which doled out free money to people in the form of a “refundable tax credits” will remain intact. Before Obama’s Magic Tax Cut 38% of Americans paid no taxes; the number is now 48% (although in fairness some of that is due to high unemployment levels).

It’s only those of us who actually pay taxes who will get screwed.

Buy Danish on May 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

The tax hike commission is going to recommend a VAT.

Obama is going to say, “OK, but we will need to add another ‘tax credit’ to compensate lower and middle income people, therefore, I won’t be breaking my pledge”

The result will be massive redistribution as people who already pay little to no income tax get even more money “back” in their tax “refund”. It’ll be an expansion of kickbacks that will essentially be welfare, but will be called “tax cuts” in the media. Meanwhile, higher income people and small businesses will pay an ever greater percentage of their money to the government.

forest on May 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Obama made things worse than Bush in just one year.

seven on May 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Fixed.

GT on May 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

They won’t figure it out in 2012, I’m sure.

Doesn’t matter, all we need is 5% of them to wake up.

reaganaut on May 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM

OTP, baby, O.T.P.

Christien on May 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I’m looking forward to the Mother of All Government Shutdowns next year.

reaganaut on May 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

The key phrase is “under my plan”. The tax increase that President Obama signs will not be “his plan”. It will be Congress’ plan, or the deficit reduction commission’s plan, or anyone’s plan but President Obama’s plan.

I don’t think he will be able to sell that distinction to the public, but as Mr. Orszag’s statement about “preference” indicates, that’s the way they are going to go.

dirc on May 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Plausible Deniability

” It wasn’t my fault..the nasty commission took it out of my hands..I really fought hard not to raise taxes, but…”

Ah…the Clinton years have returned. The unelected bipartisan committee will be able to provide cover and the MSM will be the cheerleaders.

belad on May 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM

dirc on May 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

public: “Does your dog bite?”

Obama: “No”

dog bites

public: “I thought you said your dog does not bite”

Obama: “That is not my dog.”

forest on May 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Bend over and enjoy it.

txag92 on May 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I think SNL needs to send out an A.P.B. for John Lovitz and have him play Dear Leader as Tommy Flanagan from this point forward. Maybe I’ll tune in once in a while.

reaganaut on May 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I’m looking forward to the Mother of All Government Shutdowns next year.

reaganaut on May 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

If Obama was able to wrangle nationalized healthcare before 2012, Republicans would be suicidal to shut the Government down before then.

Holger on May 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I think his come back was “The campaign is over”…

right2bright on May 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Holger on May 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Bah, never post when your head isn’t all there.

If Obama was able to wrangle Nationalized Healthcare before 2010, Republicans would be suicidal to shut the government down after 2010.

Holger on May 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Hence, Dear Liar.

The Whine knew going in that taxes would go up, yet He intentionally told people they wouldn’t. Barack Hussein Obama is a liar.

rbj on May 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Johnnyreb on May 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Emphasis on the word ‘should’, of course.

Bush #1 didn’t have the media doing their damndest to get him re-elected in spite of the tax pledge – and Obama can without question count on them to to be in his corner and ignore this, spin it, bury it, minimize it, lie about it, etc.

Midas on May 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM

All this talk about taxes – on both sides of the aisle is a smoke screen.

Current institutional government spending is now well over one-and-a-half times the current tax revenues, and rising rapidly. And federal allocations over the past 18 months were over one-and-a-half times America’s entire GDP for that period.

What shows up on any individual’s 1040 doesn’t mean squat. Obama is in the process of spending not just everything you earn, but everything everyone ever had, and everything everyone was ever going to have.

logis on May 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Chad_ on May 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Take a look at his poll numbers – there’s still a boatload of nitwits out there that still think he’s good stuff.

Midas on May 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Anyone smell that? I think that promise just went past its expiration date.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM

The teacup-in chief is doing everything he can to make John McCain look like Ronald Reagan.

John Deaux on May 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM

logis on May 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Obama, channeling his inner William Munny: “It’s a helluva thing, killing an economy. You take away all they’ve got, and all they’re ever gonna have.”

Midas on May 13, 2010 at 12:49 PM

What, you thought they wanted details on every consumer purchase for giggles?

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. It would collect data, especially on consumer transactions.

lorien1973 on May 13, 2010 at 12:49 PM

My Muslim faith allows me to lie to dhimmis 12 ways to Sunday. But I could do that anyway, because I’m also a lawyer.”
~Obarf Hussein

Western_Civ on May 13, 2010 at 12:50 PM

“If you like your tax bracket, you can keep your tax bracket.”

BuckeyeSam on May 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM

What about my money? If I like my money, can I keep my money?

Bend over and enjoy it.

txag92 on May 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

You might feel a little pinch….

PappaMac on May 13, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Like any lawyer, he has left wiggle room. The commission’s plan isn’t his plan.

NNtrancer on May 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Call it what you want. A lie is a lie!

GFW on May 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Everybody turn off their Ipods in 3,2,1

booter on May 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM

If I like my money, can I keep my money?

You can keep your money, but we’ll be taking the value of it, sport.

Love,

Barry

reaganaut on May 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM

IT’S ALL THE ‘COMMISSION’S FAULT’!

After the tax increases, maybe the rest of the Obamabots will wake up to this liar in chief.

GarandFan on May 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Barack Vatbama.

Little Boomer on May 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM

“Actually, it isn’t really a pledge, more like a guideline.”
-Captain Jack Sparrow

maninthemiddle on May 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM

What a despicable bunch of doubletalking garbage. Yeah, we get it – Obama’s not going to play that game where he’s held accountable for the promises he makes.

dkmonroe on May 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM

No one with a modicum of critical thinking skills believed that when he said it. It’s pretty basic math and there was no way anything on his agenda could begin to pencil out by just taxing “the rich”.

The middle class (bourgeoisie) is the enemy anyway. They are too independent and stand in the way of government power.

“The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them
between the millstones of taxation and inflation.”
– Vladimir Lenin

RadClown on May 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Obama “firm pledge” on taxes now a “preference”

Translation:

Obama PREFERs you and me to pay more and more taxes, while his buddies will benefit from his ‘firm pledge’.

Sir Napsalot on May 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM

If any were foolish enough to doubt that we are phasing into Orwell’s 1984 need only Orszag’s statement as The Ministry of Truth coming to fruition.

NBC,CBS, ABC, CNN, etal should just change their designations to MoT 1, Mot2, Mot3, and so on.

Archimedes on May 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM

This is something a 5th grader would notice

Unfortunately, the most prominent newspapers and magazines seem to be written on a fourth grade level, thus the lack of critical thinking about this.

And Obama’s word games would actually be somewhat acceptable if he and the media made it clear what was actually meant rather than pretending otherwise. Once you start mocking people for not believing that you won’t raise taxes on the middle class, any credibility you had to do so is shot.

calbear on May 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM

you knew this was coming. the last couple of days the ‘american’s taxes have never been lower’ stories were making the rounds. now comes the slippery change in wording. ben dover….time for more hope and change!

DrW on May 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I’m not defending the current President, but at least he waited a little over a year to start hinting at having to backoff his “No Tax Increase” campaign pledge.
It took Clinton, what – two weeks after his inauguration?
Then he made the increase retroactive!

Quote: “I never worked so hard in all my life to try and figure a way to not raise your taxes…”

listens2glenn on May 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Commission on Fiscal Responsibility

What a misnomer. There is no fiscal responsibility in Washington.

scalleywag on May 13, 2010 at 1:15 PM

When Obamaocchio lies, Michelles bum gets bigger. Beware!!!

capejasmine on May 13, 2010 at 1:18 PM

listens2glenn on May 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM

My mother, rest in peace, never called him anything but “that damn Clinton”.

scalleywag on May 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Meanwhile, Greece gets our money, no strings attatched, and no date to pay it back. If they don’t, it just rolls over. Obama…the master of the roll over. He’s rolling over every citizen in this country!

capejasmine on May 13, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I can hear Obama now. “I tried my hardest to not raise taxes but the commission said it is the only way.” “I must go with the recommendations for the good of the Country.” As if we didn’t know that this was going to happen. Obama formed this committee to cover his back when he raises the taxes we all know that he intended to raise.

sandee on May 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM

No surprise here. But when exactly will Obama sign a middle class tax hike into law? We’ve been told repeatedly that the commission won’t report to him until after the midterms. Assuming the GOP retakes at least the House and has no intention of going along with its recommendations, is he really expecting a lameduck Democrat Congress to give the ok to screwing over the middle class? And no, he doesn’t have a prayer of reelection if he does this.

Doughboy on May 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM

You should have used a different quote from Obama because I do remember him saying that families making up $250,000 a year wouldn’t pay an extra dime in taxes, but the quote used in this post has a way out for him.

In this quote he said none of your taxes will be raised. He doesn’t have to raise current taxes, he’ll add a NEW tax such as the VAT. That’s not a current tax so technically our current taxes wouldn’t go up.

Like I said, I remember him boxing himself in more than this, so maybe we should find that quote.

MobileVideoEngineer on May 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Never fear this lyin Pinnochio, urkel lookin stooge, will try to ram it (Amnasty) anyway just like he did with Deathcare and seniors SSI raises. If McStooge is re-elected there in AZ he will help the WON.

He knows he’ll never be re-elected, the goal is to do as much damage as possible in the time he has.
Why else are all the demrats leavin the ship?
They don’t wanna be around when the sheit hits the fan!

dhunter on May 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM

It’s times like this that I miss the resident trolls.

PALIN!

KAGAN WILL NOT BE CONFIRMED!

*looks around*

Huh…that normally brings them runnin’.

Bishop on May 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM

The whole O administration is like a “tree falling in a forest”.

Thanks to the MFM no one knows the facts, only his b.s. line.

His numbers are going up.

He successfully has not taken one bit of blame for BP clean up. Big Sis couldn’t find the cleanup equipment…O didn’t address it for 10 days….etc. etc.

George Soros has funded the media good and hard…..

nondhimmie on May 13, 2010 at 2:04 PM

He’s sooo pragmatic! gush!

NickelAndDime on May 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I thought he promised no new taxes (income, capital gains, etc.) under an “Obama Administration” not just under “my plan.” I can’t find the videos now, but he made at least three speeches along these lines…

Firefly_76 on May 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I get the sneaking suspicion that this crew has no intention of giving up power this November or in 2012… What do they have planned cuz these actions would make other polls understand they aren’t getting re-elected…so what do these guys have planned?

CCRWM on May 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM

CCRWM on May 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Hanging chads.

Daggett on May 13, 2010 at 2:41 PM

davek70 on May 13, 2010 at 12:22 PM

how many of the 52 percent are the 47 percent who pay no taxes? Because sane and reasonable people like me saw this Marxist coming a mile away… If it’s most of them… They’ll vote for him again plus all those who jump on the gravy train or those who give up… We’re becoming Venezuela:(

CCRWM on May 13, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Well, here’s an idea to save the Chairman:

‘A Crisis Tax!’

Since no good crisis should go to waste, here’s his opportunity to implement a VAT; raise income taxes and also raise corporate taxes (to punish those evil doers in business). He could just borrow Portugal’s idea (ht: Financial Times).

Dick Turpin on May 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

OK, Iknow I’m waaay off topic, but indulge me…

We now have another looney-tune appointee from the administration.

Cutler
Kagan
Summers
Ogden
Sunstein
Genachowski
Landers
Duncan

And of course Obama, plus I am sure ther some that I’ve missed. All came from Harvard, which Brings to the point of this rant.

When should we as matter of national security level this rats nest?

Archimedes on May 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Great news: Obama “firm pledge” on taxes now a “preference”

…soon to be “taken out of context.”

greggriffith on May 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM

No no no, It’s not God bless America…

It’s God tax America….

SPCOlympics on May 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM

BobMbx 12:22
Obama? That’s not my dog.

maverick muse on May 13, 2010 at 3:45 PM

No no no, It’s not God bless America…

It’s God tax America….

SPCOlympics on May 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I thought it was “God damn America.”

On second thought; I guess it’s pretty much the same sentiment.

logis on May 13, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Why else are all the demrats leavin the ship?
They don’t wanna be around when the sheit hits the fan!

dhunter on May 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM

That’s logical. Along that point, note what they’ve already bought for themselves PERSONALLY as Washingtonians with our taxes. There’s only so much time left before the “end” so they retire in time to flaunt what they’ve pirated.

maverick muse on May 13, 2010 at 3:49 PM