New GOP gimmick: How about we let you guys decide which parts of the budget to cut?

posted at 6:54 pm on May 12, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m torn. On the one hand, it’s a harmless gimmick aimed at leveraging the bottom-up spirit of the “Contract From America.” Plus, anything that puts people online in a more activist mood online is all to the good. Problem is, not only are the potential cuts touted on the site pitifully small — tokens, really, which has always been the knock on Obama’s own pitifully small budget cuts — but what America needs desperately is leadership on spending, not attempts to pawn tough decisions off onto voters or, in The One’s case, onto unelected deficit commissions. Again, I don’t want to make too much of what is, essentially, a cute nod at direct democracy, but cute nods aren’t going to solve our coming entitlement armageddon. This is deadly serious stuff and deserves to be treated that way. The best argument I can make for “YouCut” is that it’s a way to get the public very gradually accustomed to the idea of small cuts so that big cuts down the road don’t come as quite an earthquake. Is slicing a million dollars from HUD’s budget for doctoral dissertations or whatever really going to help steel people to the idea of social security reform, though? I am, shall we say, skeptical.

Comments

How about “All of the Above”?

Oil Can on May 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I just received my email from Hoekstra.

In the face of budget deficits nearing or exceeding 1 trillion dollars, the GOP is asking if they should save 250 million by cutting federal matching funds for election campaigns.

Skandia Recluse on May 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I agree… it’s an interesting idea, but until the GOP gets some teeth and starts to REALLY bite back at this administration and it’s insane policies, financial and/or otherwise, we’re not going to get the big upswing we need to keep the momentum going throughout the summer into November.

Some Americans are very lazy when it comes to politics. If the issue isn’t smackin’ em over the head day after day, they forget (look at the ACORN issue). The libs are counting on that to save them come November. It’s going to take more than a gimmick to win big.

Mad Mad Monica on May 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM

How about,as you say,Allah—L E A D E R S H I P from our elected officials , it’s why they are there. It would also be job security!

nwsseeker on May 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM

GRRR… I hate it when I misspell simple words. I apologize to you all for using the wrong form of “its” in the above comment. *sigh* I know, it’s really silly to get bent outta shape when I’m sure there are plenty of grammar and/or spelling errors in there, but that one just realllllly bugs me.

Mad Mad Monica on May 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

So you want us to do your dirty work that you can’t or won’t do? What part of Representative Republic don’t you understand? Man up, do what’s right or we WILL remove your asses.

Fletch54 on May 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I say let’s return to the era of imperialism. We’ll start by confiscating all of Iraq’s oil fields, then take over Afghanistan’s opium poppy sales.

John the Libertarian on May 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Please tell me they’re just doing this to prove a point — i.e. they expect to be able to come back in a week and say “See, there’s no way to do this that a majority of people will be happy with. We’d love it if there were a painless solution, but it isn’t so, so don’t accuse us of unfairness when we start making the inevitable cuts.”

joe_doufu on May 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I say that it is not a bad way to let the politically involved see how wasteful our government spending is in subsidizing foolish projects.

onlineanalyst on May 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I’m reminded of these comics (the latter a breakdown of governmental spending with an emphasis on research dollars).

calbear on May 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Here’s an idea! Since we are all too busy with our jobs and family responsibilities to make decisions on every issue that needs legislating, what say we recruit some esteemed pillars of our communities who have shone themselves to ethical, strong leaders, with a track record of success and appoint them as our “Representatives”. We could send them to DC to make the decisions for us. We could choose them through “Elections” and who ever gets the most votes wins. We would, of course pay them an appropriate salary and hold regular elections to make sure they are responsive to the will of the voters who elected them. It’s genius really. I’m going to try to patent it.

ronsfi on May 12, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Let’s say we start with Governmental Salary’s and go from there.

PappaMac on May 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

How about they let us vote on whether the House and Senate should get paid. And while we’re at it, we could vote on their aide’s pay too.

SlaveDog on May 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I too was struck by the paltry pickings.

Now then – list potential budget deletions such as:

1) The EPA
2) Dept of Education
3) Dept of HUD (not just a grant division)

and I might take it seriously enough to respond.

oldfiveanddimer on May 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Aren’t these all things he wants to cut anyway? Visitors to Cantor’s website are self-selected way beyond even normal online polls.

exception on May 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM

This is deadly serious stuff and deserves to be treated that way

Indeed. I think the grassroots would be just as happy if the GOP would look toward NJ. That’s where a governor is taking things very seriously.

Weight of Glory on May 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Congress was elected TO DO A JOB. If they’re unwilling, DON’T APPLY.

Simple. Direct.

GarandFan on May 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM

My personal top 5

1. Cut every penny from the United Nations, and condemn the building in NYC. We can help countries directly should we be asked.

2. Welfare, foodstamps, section-8 housing: 1 child. No more. The more children one may have the LESS assistance they will be given.

3. Remove all non-essential military bases from foreign countries and bring the troops home to secure the border.

4. Obliterate the Dept. of “Education”, HHS, Interior, EPA, HUD.

5. Dept. of State takes 89% budget cut.

SouthernGent on May 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM

If the GOP won’t embrace elimination of the US Dept of Education, they’re not serious about downsizing government. It’s the lowest-hanging fruit imaginable.

Bugler on May 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I sort of like it. But I want big cuts.

myrenovations on May 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Here’s a thought. Pass a law that states the Federal budget shall be equal to the tax revenues of the previous year. Divide it up any way you want. You’ll have a surplus in times of growth to pay down previously accrued debt. The lefties will get their Keynesian deficit spending during a recession. The penalty for a failure to obey this law will be a forfeiture of public office and a mandatory minimum of 10 years in Federal prison for the entire Congress.

trubble on May 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM

SouthernGent on May 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I’ll drink to that!

CTSherman on May 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Fletch54 on May 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Well said.

fourdeucer on May 12, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Start with everything from January 21st 2009 and proceed forward to present day.

kurtzz3 on May 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM

WASTE OF TIME … WE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO, LIKE RECRUITING GOOD CANDIDATES…

Why not, do your jobs and stop the out of control unsustainable spending.

tarpon on May 12, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Are there any REAL MEN in Washington???

ohiobabe on May 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Scissors, meet paper, and let Congress grow some rocks.

Steve Z on May 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM

John The libertarian – I agree let’s take it all, then give it back a little at a time if things go well — what gets me is some people don’t want to be in control of their own destiny …

wheels on May 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM

What a load of crap. This is just a bs gimmick, and when everyone wants to cut something different they wont cut anything.

clement on May 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM

trubble on May 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM

A great idea, but would any Democrats vote for it? This could be a platform to take back the House in 2010, but we would still need the Senate and White House to pass it.

Steve Z on May 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM

What budget?

d1carter on May 12, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Please call Mr. ? Cantor and ask that Ms. Bachmann, Ms. Palin, Ms. Brewer do the job of these old soft whipped guys.

nondhimmie on May 12, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Hold each Representative accountable for his votes to spend beyond the gov’s income.

If a rep votes to spend more than his ‘proportion’, then his constituents get a tax surcharge to pay for his overspending.

If a rep votes to spend less than his ‘proportion’, then his constituents get a refund.

Josiah on May 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM

How many people want to go to his website, make a suggestion and end up being solicited with junk mail and spam e-mail? They know where the money is going just as much as the rest of us except they get paid for their work even though they don’t earn it.

fourdeucer on May 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Save our economy: Cut out the Democrats in November!

TN Mom on May 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I noticed there was no place to “write in” your own suggestions. And Obamacare was conspicuously absent.

Even if all the items were enacted it would only reduce the annual deficit from 1.6 TRILLION to 1.594 TRILLION. Woohoo!

That’s some real change!

Onus on May 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Let’s make this easy, get rid of:
1. Dept. of Education = FAIL
2. Dept. of Commerce = FAIL
3. Dept. of Interior = FAIL
4. Dept. of Homeland Security = FAIL
5. Dept. of Energy = FAIL

Then, let’s get serious

Sailfish on May 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Mad Mad Monica on May 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I didn’t really see anything incorrect about what you wrote. I could swear back in the day they taught some grammar rules differently than they do now. If you’re talking about and it’s insane policies, I could swear they use to say that was the possesive form of the word & should have the . But maybe I remember wrong – that was a long, long time ago. HA!!

Colorado Anne on May 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Abdicating their responsibility. Come up w/more than just Ryan’s plan to get back to fiscal solvency and let us vote on that!

JAM on May 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Most of the time I’m pretty convinced the Progressive infested GOP is just as bad as the Marxists in the Democrat party.

For example, everyone knows the RINOs in the GOP would have caved on Obamacare if the Destroyer hadn’t wanted to own the issue.

Thank you George W Bush you and your Daddy left the GOP without the stones to stand up for what is right. Hey, GOP how did that “change the tone” bleep work out for you?……..and us!!!!

Elect the GOP in November and then bullwhip them into shape…….if we survive till Nov that is.

PappyD61 on May 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I’m all for major cuts, eliminating agencies, etc. But I do not think we should continue to sneer at the small stuff either. A couple of million here and a billion there over and over again do add up.

Oleta on May 12, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I can think of a couple of things that could take a good chunk off of the budget. They are probably all political suicide though:

1. Immediately end new defined benefit retirement plans for all federal employees excluding enlisted military. Honor the commitments that have already been made, but stop digging the hole. Replace it with a 401(k) match like the private sector.

2. Eliminate 10 percent of the federal workforce. The largest expenditure behind transfer payments is the combined salary of federal workers.

3. For the workers who remain, enact an across the board 10 percent salary cut. These three policies will bring the pay of federal workers back into line with the private sector.

4. Eliminate the following departments: HHS, Transportation, Education, and HUD. Determine the essential functions (the most important 25% of the respective budgets) and roll those functions into the remaining departments.

5. Eliminate the department of Homeland Security, and transfer the major functions over to the DOD. This won’t save a tremendous amount of money, but the functions of the two departments overlap. Unifying the two departments will, in theory, improve communication and coordination between military and security forces.

6. The big toxic enchilada: Social Security Reform.
– Leave benefits the same for anyone receiving SS or within 8 years of retirement.
– Gradually raise the age to receive full benefits to 70 over a period of not less than 10 years.
– Re-determine benefit levels for those 8 years or more from retirement such that the average retiree will receive exactly the present value of their contributions in their lifetimes. As it is people are receiving far more than they ever contributed in taxes.
– Finally allow those more than 25 years from retirement age to opt out of a portion of their Social Security contributions, instead putting the money into a 401(k) or IRA.

These 6 things will reduce the overall budget by billions of dollars, and will extend the fiscal solvency of Social Security decades into the future. Unfortunately Most of these suggestions are politically radioactive, so we get to suffer the slow motion death spiral instead.

Jeff M on May 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM

They just want my email so they can solicit.

Socmodfiscon on May 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I can see it now… we all vote on what to cut, all the votes are all over the chart so then they can say “Well, see you resoundingly said we can’t cut anything.”

Tuari on May 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM

It isn’t time for trimming the budget, but taking a chainsaw to it.

That means – Energy, Education, Agriculture, EPA, Fed. Reserve, Fannie, Freddie, Ginnie, Sallie, most of Interior save for USGS as that is mandated by the Constitution, FCC, FDA…and liquidate State and put it under DoD.

Payback everyone who has paid into SSA who is under 50. Anyone over that who wants an annuity from the federal government can still get it, or have the money rolled into a private one. Kill SSA. We are in the trillion dollar at a time debt arena anyway, so might as well take that hit all at once.

Cut hard, cut deep and cauterize once done. America can accept a bad mistake having done all this, we can’t go on doing it.

ajacksonian on May 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM

How about laying off 30% of the Federal workforce, outlawing the ability of federal employees to unionize and then cutting all spending across the board 20% and raise the retirement age 2 years. Done. My business did much more than this last year in order to survive. Why cant you pusses do the same. You’re all bums. Both D and R. gutless.

Dr_Irish on May 12, 2010 at 8:18 PM

If these squishes in the GOP took a page out of Chris Christie’s book, they might actually be able to show some leadership. How do you spell Christie? A-W-E-S-O-M-E

TxAnn56 on May 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM

TxAnn56 on May 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM

This!

bluemarlin on May 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM

simple…a 10% across the board cut in all federal programs including pay, retirement, SS, medicare, everything…then freeze it for 5 years…

I am a military retiree…

JIMV on May 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM

You absolutely useless Republicans! You tell us the exact areas where spending must be cut. In other words, get in front of the pack, become leaders, and tell us this is your vision for the way forward.

Am I supposed to be impressed by party hacks who say “Tell us What To Do” and we’ll do it. FU!!!!!!!!!

You tell me what you propose – and be prepared to live or die by your decision.

alwyr on May 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Too bad there wasn’t a button for “All of the above” and a write in space for:
Your pay cut in half
10% of every Governmental office
10% of every department

I could go on and on and on …

jackal40 on May 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM

JIMV on May 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM

That sounds like a great plan. Go for 15% and everything will be on the right track sooner.

BetseyRoss on May 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Oh, quick addendum. How about you guys pass a balanced budget and live within it!

jackal40 on May 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I dont know about this Cantor guy. He’s gives me the squishy moderate heeby-jeebys especially with those lame choices on where to cut.

epluribusunum on May 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I’m not the least bit suspicious of Sen. Cantor, as has an excellent track-record… Bankruptcy (on the other hand) will offer us ZERO choices, and maybe an intervention by the UN… And so far, we can see how debt has served the Obama and Pelosi regime…

We ought to really think about what constitutes a “perfect world”… because what can await us, if our bashing of ‘minority Conservatives’ splits the votes… We’ll see Pelosi and the Obama clan for the next term.

Same thing happened to Great Britain, and they lost their gun rights, Constitution, etc… But our strip of rights will be more drastic, because we have more to loose…

definitemaybe on May 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM

You tell me what you propose – and be prepared to live or die by your decision.

alwyr on May 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I am right there with you! Now they want to listen to us? They certainly forgot their hearing aids for a long time and once they spanked by voters and B@#$H slapped by Obama and the Dems, they want us to give them their platform. I am sorry, I think we have been screaming it for years already.

bluemarlin on May 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I prefer Rose and Milton Friedman’s idea from “Free to Choose.” Set an absolute limit on the budget. Then force all the special interests who have actually caused the spending line items in the budget to make the argument for why their spending is better for the general welfare than the other guys.

If YouCuts asks for prioritization by topical area, like defense dept. vs. energy dept. vs. education dept., that’s general enough for the public to be able to set an direction.

John E. on May 12, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I like it – establishes the GOP as the party of for the people and Congress as servants of the people. Shows they are listening.

Especially considering the liberals are full steam ahead on the spending that no one wants.

gophergirl on May 12, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Thank you Blue Marlin! It’s oh, so easy, for Republican “leaders” to follow instructions from the voters….”If you’ll just tell us what to do…Why, then we’ll do it!”

If we have to tell you what to do, then we don’t need you.

alwyr on May 12, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Good idea. Too bad they didn’t create a program that lets you play with different ways to reduce the deficit. There ought to be an online program to do that.

Then the site can monitor the different ways people have cut the budget.

Conservative Samizdat on May 12, 2010 at 8:59 PM

How about we let you guys decide which parts members of the budget Congress to cut?

–A Novembah to Remembah!!!!

chickasaw42 on May 12, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Meh – that doesn’t even qualify as an appetizer, Cantor.

You guys better f-ing get serious about cuts, not this tiny crap you’ve got on the site there, bub.

Midas on May 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM

GOP needs to go on a national education campaign to educate the people that … the ONLY way to save this nation from falling off a cliff of debt is to cut entitlements and you can’t do that without …

1. Phasing out Social Security and Medicare.

2. Finding other, private options for those two programs.

I’ve been pinging on the GOP a lot – because not many of them will tell you the above and, if they are unable to articulate it – then they can’t do it. If they can’t do it – then they are useless.

But …

I should also add that Americans need to “get it” to. They need to realize we need to eliminate these programs or we … DIE.

I’m not sure that Americans can come to that realization.

The lardies in Greece don’t seem to be able to.

HondaV65 on May 12, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Cantor’s small list adds up to a few billion and I will take it. Too bad the poll is not on his site and too bad there is not an “all of the above” option along with other choices such as:

Welfare
Food Stamps
Social Security
S-Chip
Funding all of the Arts
The Department of Education
Congressional salaries
Congressional homes and cars

This would be a good start.

Virginia Shanahan on May 12, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Virginia Shanahan,

I’m with you in spirit though I wouldn’t AX the first three items without demanding major tax cuts. If I am going to help pick up the duty though charity for caring for those less fortunate, I will need more of my earnings to do so. And those how paid into SocSec with the promise of returns shouldn’t be stiffed. At least not if we can help it.

I would add:
Dept. of Energy
Dept. of Agriculture
Dept. of Transportation

In fact, what do we really need the feds for other that State, Defense, Justice and Treasury?

OBQuiet on May 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I’m sorry, Rep. Cantor, most of us want to vote for the adults this time, so stop the childish tricks and get serious. Repealing Obamacare may not be easy but defunding it should be something that can be done.

If the Republicans are going to play games then they’ll accomplish what we all worried about, a way to lose an election they should win going away.

The Democrats are the party of gimmicks, just look what they’ve done to pass legislation, don’t meet them in the gutter.

bflat879 on May 12, 2010 at 9:53 PM

A complete house cleaning and a sweep of the senate.
Elect some real people for two terms and then just vote em out. Most women with a family could budget this whole thing with a pencil and a legal pad.
The entire public pay system is out of whack and will be until we kick all of em out. We had a little primary and the county exec and trustee both got the boot from the dems in a one party county. TAXES and an unpopular public building/wheel tax ended a set of careers.No more spending.

Col.John Wm. Reed on May 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM

GOP=Clueless idiots.

rickyricardo on May 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM

As a Reagan Conservative, that has carried water for the GOP in past elections of all kinds (up until the immigration sellout/debate by Bush43). I have a message for the continously disappointing Progressive infested GOP…..

…..RNC stand by for important message from base.

MESSAGE?………………YOU STILL SUCK!!!!!!!

PappyD61 on May 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM

One way or another, we will decide.

Ronnie on May 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Let’s start with the pay for the czars! Let’s get rid of pork. Let’s not give money to unions, family planning (abortion centers), nags, and acorn. No raises in pay in fact as the economy goes down so do the congress’s pay. We don’t bail out banks, we don’t give money for clunkers, that could’ve been given to students who don’t have transportation in college. That was a horrible waste of money and clogged up the country with dead cars whose parts could not be used because everything was destroyed. No money for Greece who are what we will become if this country unionizes everything as Greece has, and as obama wants. That’s just for a start. I can’t believe the money that this administration thinks grows on trees.

Bambi on May 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Here is a link to the YouCut website:

DL13 on May 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I’ve got some cuts for Congressman Cantor: Dept. of Education, Dept. of Health & Human Services, Dept. of Urban Housing & Development, Dept. of Labor. That’s to start.

SukieTawdry on May 13, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Super lame. When is the GOP going to take limited government seriously?

therightwinger on May 13, 2010 at 2:11 AM

How could I forget Fannie and Freddie and the governments newest acquisition, GM.

Virginia Shanahan on May 13, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Oh and the Healthcare bill.

Virginia Shanahan on May 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM

OB Quiet,

Most of the things I listed (SS, Medicare, etc) will in fact have to be phased out, but they need to start – NOW – and yes the first step should be cutting taxes.

But with this administration everything will remain stagnet. Obama is a proven liar, changes the rules in the middle of the game, is unstable, and does not have the trust of the people who create the jobs. Therefore, nothing will improve until he and his Washington cronies are gone. (I think the same is to be said of Washington Republicans as well, but thankfully the incumbents appear to be soon dropping like flies).

Virginia Shanahan on May 13, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Let me say, everything will remain stagnet except food stamps, welfare, etc, which will continue to rise while the bastards are in office. Why? Because that’s what they are working for – government dependence (but I’m sure you know that already).

Virginia Shanahan on May 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Send the illegal home to their countries of origin.

OR, make the companies who hire them PAY ALL OF THEIR EXPENSES (including healthcare, education, legal fees,…)

Cheap labor is killing our economy but no one talks about it.

stenwin77 on May 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM

They have the Contract from America to give them the guidance they need. They don’t need us voting from a budget cutting menu as if we’re ordering some fast food.

This just shows why the American people have lost confidence in all of it’s leaders – from the White House to the Congress to the Supreme Court. There is no leadership. They just kick the can down the road or avoid the important issues altogether.

I have no faith whatsoever that those who are supposed to lead will.

iamsaved on May 13, 2010 at 7:49 AM

The reason to target SSA is that too many people still have the quaint notion that it is a ‘trust’ or there is a ‘lock box’ for their funds.

There isn’t and hasn’t been since the Johnson Administration.

Thus we are paying for a service better done elsewhere and the government has frivolously spent money it was meant to safeguard. Calling for the money to be refunded with interest as an option on your taxes and ending FICA payments is the way to end this charade. It becomes a massive double-tax cut: ending FICA and allowing people to cut their taxes with an SSA refund that is tax-free (which could also be used to nullify taxes owed today). Those who no longer earn money can continue with a government based annuity, but that comes out of general funds and has caps on its payout.

This also wakes people up to the mendacious use by politicians of SSA scare tactics as people with the profound belief that their money is held securely will find out it has been spent already… this is corrosive to political and economic discourse and planning for one’s future.

The outlines of the federal government have Defense, parts of Interior (mostly for government owned land, forts, and other necessary structures plus immigration), treasury (mint, taxes and income from tariffs, and commerce for inter-state trade in the old state-to-state concept not this ‘nation tells everyone what to do’ concept), USPTO and not much else save for some cats and dogs like a postal system and mapping and charting the planet which we divide up into US and everyplace with the former going under Interior. Lincoln put Dept. of Agriculture into place and it was a FUBAR leading to poor land use that got us the dustbowl. The National Bank was killed by Jackson and re-created by Wilson and we now have more power in more government financial institutions than was dreamt of by anyone but Hamilton who adored the concept… also Jackson paid off our debts and as we were born in debt to France for the Revolution, that was the last time the US was debt free. The State Dept used to be a part of the War Dept. and really does belong there, as our current Charlie-Foxtrots in Afghanistan and Iraq between the two bring home, quite clearly. Really all State personnel need at least a couple of tours of duty to get some understanding of how the world actually works.

After that there isn’t much else that needs to be around the place… DoJ to enforce the few laws that would be left if we cut down to the bare minimum, support of the federal courts, and generally divesting the government of all these lovely federally owned businesses and quasi-government organizations.

I’m a great believer of government cut to the bone and a choker leash on it to keep it hungry so it obeys its master: the people. When you look for handouts from a guard dog, count your fingers after you are done, if you can get up off your back to do so and don’t have its jaws around your neck.

ajacksonian on May 13, 2010 at 8:03 AM

What a freaking joke!!!

When you go to this link you only get about 5 choices you can’t write in your own. And did you see how many times he was blinking…..creepy.

And of course if you go to his site if you don’t live in his district you can’t email him, etc.

JOKE!!!!

Here’s an idea for the GOP.

CUT ALL PROGRAMS ACROSS THE BOARD 10% (except Social Security/Defense and Medicare/caid).

TERM LIMITS (one term maximum) FOR BOTH HOUSE AND SENATE

BUILD THE FENCE.

That alone should right the ship. Three simple to understand fixes (even you idjits in Congress should get it).

PappyD61 on May 13, 2010 at 8:51 AM

More evidence that Congress is useless. A nutless monkey could do his job.

Either LEAD or the get the F* out of the way.

Soon, Mr. Cantor, when Obama DISMISSES Congress PERMANENTLY you will need my protection, but I don’t think I will provide any.

orbitalair on May 13, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Is he promoting Open Line Friday? Must be listening to Rush. Why don’t they do their d#$n jobs and figure out which parts need to get axed or just can the whole thing and pretend to start over. Keep the govmint out of our lives.

Kissmygrits on May 13, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Espouses my view of what and elected person who is representing U.S. is supposed to do. Upon election, they take their oath and sit in their office and do two things. review all current laws and determine which laws no longer make sense and ask their constituents if they concur. If they do then repeal it.

Also, wait for their constituents to tell them what they feel is wrong (taxes are too high and offer ways to lower them or tell them what is an acceptable rate.

The elected representative then confirms that it is a national issue by conversing with other elected representatives, and then they focus on that problem and write that solution into a new law or repealing an existing law to meet the public’s desires.

If the issue is not nationally recognized then to inform their constituents that it is a local issue and to provide them the way to solve it locally.

MSGTAS on May 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Two words: Meaningless tripe.

He addresses miniscule programs. The Department of Energy was founded in 1977 to free us from dependency on foreign oil. It manifestly has not done it’s job. It has a budget of a “tiny” $24 billion. Since it has not done its chartered job and is merely fiddling around with other issues should it not be abolished?

What other expenditures at this level fit the description, “over 30 year old and has not performed the function for which it was created or has branched out to other extraneous functions”? We should systematically search and destroy these departments barring the top officials from government employment and firing the lower level employees for NOT blowing the whistle.

{^_^}

herself on May 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I went there from the link at Gateway and was… disappointed, to say the least. I thought Cantor had a bit more oomph than to push this petty stuff. Not even a defund NPR option which is still small bucks but at least has a kind of a zing to it.

The message I got was that the Republican establishment is willing to consider frittering around the margins. Yech.

DaMav on May 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I am a SS recipient after being FORCED to pay into it my whole working life, but I think it needs to be changed,

Bush had the right idea by letting the recipient handle it themselves, they still can’t touch it until retirement age BUT it would be in your own personal account(HERE’S THE CATCH) politicians wouldn’t be able to SPEND IT and that is the only reason it was defeated.

It is a PONZI scheme but if it had been used just for SS then there wouldn’t have been a problem, but since it was made part of the general fund(by Johnson I think) it has been used for every welfare program there is.

concernedsenior on May 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Nobody remembers ‘Cap the knife’? We’ll know they are serious about cutting budgets when cabinet secretaries and agency heads are running to the cameras painting vivid pictures about how the gutting of their budget is going to ruin the country.

ElRonaldo on May 13, 2010 at 2:01 PM