Quotes of the day

posted at 10:51 pm on May 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

Aasif Mandvi, a self-described “liberal Muslim” and the “senior Islamic correspondent” for Comedy Central’s The Daily Show, said on air after the “South Park” threats that it would upset him to see the Prophet Muhammad depicted in a cartoon. But, he added: “Here’s what’s more upsetting. Someone, in the name of a faith that I believe in, threatening another person for doing it.”

But after the failed Times Square terror attack, “The Daily Show” asked Mandvi not to comment further on the matter, according to his spokesman. In fact, reps for the networks and television shows reached for comment on this article, including Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, FOX, NBC, and CBS, either failed to respond or asked to speak on background for fear of retribution.

And it isn’t just comedians on fake newscasts who are being muzzled. One writer for a scripted drama fold Fox411.com that in one of his show’s final episodes, there had been a minor plot point involving a Muslim extremist. Last week it was removed and the script was rewritten, he said.

***
But, in fact, we have no assurance that Muslim women put on the burqa or don the veil as a matter of their own choice. A huge amount of evidence goes the other way. Mothers, wives, and daughters have been threatened with acid in the face, or honor-killing, or vicious beating, if they do not adopt the humiliating outer clothing that is mandated by their menfolk. This is why, in many Muslim societies, such as Tunisia and Turkey, the shrouded look is illegal in government buildings, schools, and universities. Why should Europeans and Americans, seeking perhaps to accommodate Muslim immigrants, adopt the standard only of the most backward and primitive Muslim states? The burqa and the veil, surely, are the most aggressive sign of a refusal to integrate or accommodate. Even in Iran there is only a requirement for the covering of hair, and I defy anybody to find any authority in the Quran for the concealment of the face…

So it’s really quite simple. My right to see your face is the beginning of it, as is your right to see mine. Next but not least comes the right of women to show their faces, which easily trumps the right of their male relatives or their male imams to decide otherwise. The law must be decisively on the side of transparency. The French are striking a blow not just for liberty and equality and fraternity, but for sorority too.

***
Horowitz: If you don’t condemn Hamas, obviously you support it. Case closed. I have had this experience at UC Santa Barbara, where there were 50 members of the Muslim Students Association sitting right in the rows there. And throughout my hour talk I kept asking them, will you condemn Hizbollah and Hamas. And none of them would. And then when the question period came, the president of the Muslim Students Association was the first person to ask a question. And I said, ‘Before you start, will you condemn Hizbollah?’ And he said, ‘Well, that question is too complicated for a yes or no answer.’ So I said, ‘Okay, I’ll put it to you this way. I am a Jew. The head of Hizbollah has said that he hopes that we will gather in Israel so he doesn’t have to hunt us down globally. For or Against it?

MSA member: For it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

How we treat others says a lot about who we are as a person.

TXMomof3 on May 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Yes, it does. I’m not sure how this relates to Original Sin, but I guess I can see a slight possibility of relationship.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM

You understand me perfectly. Have a good night.

TXMomof3 on May 12, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Emily M. on May 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Hence the inclusion of the official translation:

Aleph oh, Aleph, why are you vague?
Are you once again working at pulling my leg?
Arabic word pictures, a serious delight.
This could be a fantastic HA night!

LEBA on May 12, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Arabic is notoriously unreliable for translating the subtle nuances of English pun(ditry). HA! Perhaps that explains alot, eh?

LEBA on May 12, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Yes, he/she is.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM

hahaha
I’m a guy. Maybe I should’ve selected a masculine moniker.

itsnotaboutme on May 12, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Archimedes on May 12, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Your rant was fine, nothing wrong with it, don’t worry about it.

lowandslow on May 12, 2010 at 1:10 AM

But most Muslims don’t think like her. Are you aware that most Iranians are pro-American? There are multiplied millions of Muslims around the world who either like us, love us, or don’t know much of anything about us.

itsnotaboutme on May 11, 2010 at 11:56 PM

So what? You can like a dog or cat yet feel that you are superior to them. Muslims believe that infidels are roughly equivalent to pets living for their enjoyment and recognition of themselves as their betters. You want that kind of co-existance? I don’t.

docdave on May 12, 2010 at 1:11 AM

You understand me perfectly. Have a good night.

TXMomof3 on May 12, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Best

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 1:11 AM

I’m a guy. Maybe I should’ve selected a masculine moniker.

itsnotaboutme on May 12, 2010 at 1:09 AM

One can never be too careful.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 1:12 AM

The “palestinians” worked side by side with the Israeli’s for 30 years and then turned on a dime when Yasser A called for the first Infantada.

chemman on May 12, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Distant outsiders may have been surprised at how the US “turned on a dime” after 8 yrs of Bush & elected a strident & habitual Bush critic.
At first, the Palestinians were divided on Israel. After decades of propaganda & no free press, not to mention occasional Israeli bombs dropping on them, they’re unfortunately now united in hatred of their Jewish neighbors.

itsnotaboutme on May 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 11, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Well, I thought I was outta here but the I read this, to which I respond,

Thats all fine but, they won’t stand with us!
Now I’m out, really.

G’nite.

Archimedes on May 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM

TXMomof3 on May 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM

What you are speaking about is external but it is driven by the internal. How well we honor our word (internal) to others says everything you need to know about a person.

chemman on May 12, 2010 at 1:18 AM

That last comment, while intellectually sound, was borderline indecipherable.

Au contraire.

I fear it is the unvarnished truth.

hillbillyjim on May 12, 2010 at 1:18 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM

You know nothing about my contacts in that region. So cut the canned responses.

chemman on May 12, 2010 at 1:21 AM

docdave on May 12, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Many say that the US is a Christian nation. We are not. A Christian nation does not kill millions of their unborn kids, or flock to theaters to watch the dirty flicks that far outnumber clean ones, or…I could go on & on. In the same way, I don’t think there are very many Muslim nations. For instance, rape of young boys is common in Afghanistan. Witchcraft/shamanism are at least as as practiced as Islam in several “Muslim” nations. Again, I could go on & on.
My point is that even if the Koran teaches Islamofascism, most people who call themselves Muslims don’t act like that. Just like most people who call themselves Christians don’t really follow Jesus Christ.

itsnotaboutme on May 12, 2010 at 1:26 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 12, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Yes, you’re right, but the difference is that during times of crisis, many (most?) Americans tend to lean more on their Christian principles that were part of their upbringing; whereas, Muslims tend to lean more on the Islamofascist teachings. My understanding is that many Islamic terrorists were at one time fairly “moderate” or “tempered” in their views… but after some sort of ordeal they reverted back to their more violent teachings.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 1:33 AM

It all goes away in a pre/post Karl Marx/liberal world.

Speakup on May 12, 2010 at 1:36 AM

chemman on May 12, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Canned?
No need to be upset, friend. I was just explaining how I think that nation-sized group of people didn’t really “turn on a dime”.

itsnotaboutme on May 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM

I don’t know about savages, but they do tend to be prone to become irrationally aggressive … even the oh so peaceful Muslims I’ve met. The only Peaceful Muslims I’ve met were the ones that were born Muslim but live a completely secular, Western life… not real encouraging…

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I have found this to be true with my Muslim friends.. their parents are total wackos.. while they remain completely secular. Most don’t practice at all.

I too won’t ever forget watching Muslims dancing in the streets on 9/11. I will make sure my kids will know about it as well.

johnnyboy on May 12, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Dude! WordPress let’s you write in Arabic? Sweet!

Rightwingguy on May 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Hebrew too.

כי לא יטש יהוה עמו, ונחלתו לא יעזב

Even vowel points, though it’s hard to read

כִּי, לֹא-יִטֹּשׁ יְהוָה עַמּוֹ; וְנַחֲלָתוֹ, לֹא יַעֲזֹב.

rokemronnie on May 12, 2010 at 2:28 AM

כי לא יטש יהוה עמו, ונחלתו לא יעזב

Psalm 94:14

For the LORD will not cast off His people, neither will He forsake His inheritance.

rokemronnie on May 12, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Its called Taquiyya

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Its called being ‘activated’

macncheez on May 12, 2010 at 2:33 AM

O/T…But…

Is anyone shocked that Hot Air isn’t saying a word about the fact that after Palin endorsed Carly Fiorina, Tom Coburn, and Rick Santorum have endorsed, and Erick Erickson, on CNN, basically told DeVore he was done with him as well and ready to back Carly.

This was all because Sarah led the way…as usual.

Why isn’t HA reporting this???

gary4205 on May 12, 2010 at 2:57 AM

What’s with Hot Air? The servers? Timing out, pages not loading, main site not loading, unbelievable ads.

And it’s almost 3:30 AM EDT! You’d think traffic would be way down at this time of the morning, so why the bog down?

Hey Hot Air and Salem: When you’re beginning to p*ss -me- off, you know there’s a problem. ;-}

KendraWilder on May 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM

O/T
=============

Elena Kagan nominee
=======================

Why does the Obama Administration want Elena Kagan for
SCOTUS so badly,is it because of her zero,zip,notta ex
perience,or so it because Goldman Sachs is under criminal
investigation,and it just so happens that during Elena’s
confirmation to Solictor General of the United States,she
was supported by Robert Katz of Goldman Sachs Group Inc.!!
=========================================================
Elena Kagan Confirmation Floor Vote
————————————

canopfor on May 12, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I love how the left spent eight years decrying our loss of freedoms under the Patriot Act but are more than happy to tell people not to exercise their freedoms when it’s their butts on the line. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Kafir on May 12, 2010 at 7:21 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2010

This is why there is zero moral equivalence between Christianity and Islam. Most of us know what it means to be a good Christian, even if all of us fall short. Some may argue what it means to be a “good” Muslim, but if you go by what is written in the Koran, it’s pretty shocking.

SKYFOX on May 12, 2010 at 8:34 AM

O/T…But…

This was all because Sarah led the way…as usual.

Why isn’t HA reporting this???

gary4205 on May 12, 2010 at 2:57 AM

Tom, Rick and Erick who?

And you’re saying that these minor characters endorsed someone *after* a major political name did, and it’s outrageous that a blog that focuses on major political events of the day didn’t address it?

Dude, really?

This was all because Sarah led the way…as usual.

Ah, so you *do* have a small clue as to part of the answer to your agonizing “why???” question then…

Midas on May 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Wow, we discover one of those elusive moderate Muslims and he’s willing to condemn the madness. And what happens? He’s told to shut up. By the dhimmis.

What a stupid, suicidal country this has become.

Disturb the Universe on May 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM

MSA member: For it.

UC Santa Barbara

Those two phrases just can’t appear together enough, until the little hitlerette is run off campus. If UC Santa Barbara isn’t against another holocaust, they must be for it, right?

MNHawk on May 12, 2010 at 8:52 AM

The room temperature where the event was held appeared to be comfortable. Why was that moslem girl bundled up in a winter coat? If it was to disguise her “delectable” womanly figure and thus keep the hot passions of the attending men in check, someone should inform her that it was not necessary.

These crazy demented moslems, can’t live with them. . . but we can certainly live without them.

scullymj on May 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I’ve sat in various places on my campus to study, and have had the distinct displeasure of overhearing conversations by these wonderful male muslim creatures. The total disrespect for women and this country turns my stomach. They need to be packed up and sent to where they can freely express these things and be lionized for them.

Mommynator on May 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Eyes wide open, thank David Horowitz for exposing the radicals.. Why the O admin and the media placate these murderers, will we ever know?

reshas1 on May 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM

1. She looks like a white woman of NON-Arabic, Persian, Pakistani heritage.
2. She gives her (well-practiced) long, long Muslim name, but I bet on her birth certificate it reads “Debbie Sue Smith” or something else that is white, middle-class.
3. In the 1960s this overweight white girl would be a member of the Black Panthers or other “in” radical group at the time.
4. Irony is when she is with her Muslim friends, women are not allowed to speak out, have no opinion and most likely have to sit in the kitchen or bedroom with the other chubby white girls while the Muslim MEN hold the serious and decision making discussions elsewhere.

albill on May 12, 2010 at 11:00 AM

The Koran does not permit Mohammedans to drink. Their natural instincts do not permit them to be moral. They say the Sultan has eight hundred wives. This almost amounts to bigamy.
- The Innocents Abroad

Johan Klaus on May 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I’m an old guy. My first experience with muslims was at the University of Oregon in the “Fishbowl”, in the Student Union building on campus. Being the young, inexperienced knowledge hungry student that I was, I took the opportunity to socialize with Arabs from Kumait, Syria, and Egypt. My world underwent a fundamental transformation through the course of that endeavor. They were all men as I don’t remember, at all, meeting any arab women. They were dour, unsmiling disagreeable people all living here and gaining some sort of education at whose expense I could not tell you. They didn’t even seem to like each other. The Kumaiti was dripping with money and gaudiness which I found to be highly objectionable. He was driving a brand new car while most of us didn’t even have a car. What I learned was etched into my being and my feeling about them have only been validated by history. They weren’t “activated”, they were living on the tipping point. Anyone believing their lies needs therapy, if it would do any good. The year? 1961.

LarryG on May 12, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Sorry about the typo — meant to type Kuwaiti.

LarryG on May 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Horowitz was just brilliant.
What a disgusting Jew hater that “student” is. I don’t see how anyone can hear creatures like her speak and think Islamic students are just another religious group of learners on our campuses and regard it good that we give out so many student visas to Muslims to come here as part of our wonderful multiculturalism.

University administrations cowardly allow Western Civilization’s enemies to fester on campuses and call it “diversity”.

Chessplayer on May 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM

“Clarity is to radicalism as a knife is to a throat-slitting”
-MHB

LadinPlaid on May 12, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Clarity not Consensus. You simply can not make agreements with people who want you dead. Her admission is stunning and extremely clarifying.

How many lefty’s would still deny that this woman supports another Jewish genocide?

How many lefty’s would condemn her statement?

jpmn on May 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Machiavelli says to never keep a slow bleed going.

Decapitate the problem in one swoop and your enemy will eventually forget. Keep fighting them in little increments and you’ll make an enemy for life.

This racist Muslim woman literally just called for the genocide of the Jews.

This is RELIGIOUS sentiment of many Arabs. We need to learn to call it like it is, a form of Islamic Nazism.

I’m not sure her comments fall under free speech rules at Universities. Are genocidal white supremecist Nazi groups allowed forums on campuses?

scotash on May 12, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I hope this woman realizes–for the sake of her own eternal soul–that she will be judged even for every idle word.

With her own lips she calls for the murder of her fellow human beings.

The God of Abraham, Issac, and Ishmael weeps. These people hate their own blood and are blinded by rage.

Chaz706 on May 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM