Obama administration: We need to control marketing of children’s food

posted at 2:55 pm on May 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

As any parent knows, there are a lot of unhealthy food choices in the market for children — and adults, for that matter.  TV marketing usually emphasizes the most sugary, fatty choices to families; watch Saturday morning television if anyone without kids doubts it.  Schools routinely offer some of the worst possible choices to students at all levels, mainly in an attempt to raise revenues.  Which of these problems should become the purview of the federal government?  President Obama says all of them:

A White House report warns, “The childhood obesity epidemic in America is a national health crisis.”

The review by the Task Force on Childhood Obesity says one out of every three children is overweight or obese. The task force is a key part of First Lady Michelle Obama’s campaign to solve the problem of obesity within a generation. President Obama ordered the comprehensive review of the issue.

First the crisis, and then the intervention:

The task force wants junk food makers and marketers to go on what amounts to an advertising diet. It says media characters that are often popular with kids should only be used to promote healthy products. If voluntary efforts fail to limit marketing of less healthy products to young viewers, the task force suggests the FCC should consider new rules on commercials in children’s programming. It also challenges food retailers to stop using in-store displays to sell unhealthy food items to children.

The advisory panel proposes better food content labeling on products and vending machines. Restaurants and vending machine companies are urged to display calorie counts. The experts say the FDA and USDA should cooperate with the food and beverage industries to develop a standard system of nutrition labeling on the front of packages. The study also suggests that restaurants should re-evaluate portion sizes, improve kids’ menus and list more healthy food choices.

The White House study says school systems should consider efforts to promote healthier food in cafeterias. One idea: “swap deep fryers for salad bars.”

Left unstated is whether the federal government will go as far as Santa Clara County, CA in banning Happy Meals, but that’s the direction in which the White House clearly wants to move.  They want to use whatever power they have to limit choices to children and adults, and interpose themselves in place of parents.  It comes as part of the same effort that led Congress to include a federal menu mandate in ObamaCare that will put small restaurant chains at a serious disadvantage to larger operations.  It puts the nanny in nanny-state government.

If the federal government wants to do anything, it should limit itself to the schools.  Cafeteria choices are limited and mostly lousy, and vending machines offer the worst alternatives to kids locked into facilities for hours on end.  Parents would do better to pack lunches and snacks, but they certainly can demand an end to high-sugar, high-fat foods on campus.  We don’t need the federal government’s involvement to do that, but since they’re already involved in what should be local decisions on education, they at least have the entree to apply pressure in the right direction.

The effort to press restaurants into “re-evaluating” portion sizes sounds voluntary, at least for the moment, but the FCC and FDA involvement does not.  The federal government has no business telling private enterprises what kind of mascots to use in advertising or restricting their ability to advertise a legal product.  Unfortunately, we have precedent with the tobacco and liquor industries, and doubtless nanny-staters will rely on that precedent.  The only problem with that argument is that Captain Crunch isn’t Joe Camel, and sugary cereals aren’t addictive.  They may be bad choices for habitual eating, but the federal government doesn’t exist to save us from a few bad choices.  If that becomes their mission, then we will have few choices left to ourselves at all, and we can stop pretending to be a free people and admit that we have made ourselves wards of the nanny-state.

When ObamaCare came up for debate, we warned that government control of health care would provide leverage for massive oversight on personal choices.  This is exactly what we can expect — with the rationalization that we end up paying for the health care costs associated with poor choices.  The proper approach would be to make everyone responsible for their own health-care costs and let that act to limit choices instead.  We need a healthy dose of Mind Your Own Business in government policy these days.

What do you think the proper level of government involvement should be?  Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The last time I went to the doctor, (I am 56 yo), she asked me what, not if, what medications I was on. I told her none only vitamins. She looked at me very strangely, kept looking at my chart, read my blood pressure (80/101), checked my weight (135), height 5’8″ and proceeded to tell me that she too is 56 yo and on 4 different medications! She was not too thrilled with me I guess. I live a healthy life…why shouldn’t I be healthy? I asked her if she ate fried foods alot, etc. She shyly told me yes. Oh well then…

sicoit on May 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Get the federal gubmint off our backs!

petefrt on May 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Maybe it has been mentioned. How about limiting the use of food stamps to fresh fruit and vegetables?

BuckeyeSam on May 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Yes. Even when you’re 8, you’re going to get a PC lecture from somebody about how it’s “wrong” to exclude little girls from a game that involves kicking, punching and roughhousing where guys all jump on each other in a scram to steal a ball from each other.

Good Lt on May 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Well, as a former Tomboy, I don’t really see why girls should be excluded. I never minded getting hit or kicked. I even beat up boys who insulted my younger brother.

I mean, it was that or playing dolls with the girls, and even though the guys rarely threw the ball to me, it was still no contest.

I personally wouldn’t force an organization to let a girl play, but the YMCA let me play with the guys when I was a kid and didn’t seem to have a problem with it.

Esthier on May 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I say demand healthier school food, and that’s it. The government isn’t required to enable poor choices, and the parents still have the option of sending their kids with unhealthy food (so, so be it on their heads).

Seems like a fair compromise, in my opinion.

Heresy of Cain on May 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM

petefrt on May 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Exactly, we have a federal government the size of several galaxies, telling us WE need to slim down.

We say, “stuff it, fatty”.

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM

McNanny

Oil Can on May 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM

What will happen if I pack a lunch for my kid and it includes: ham and cheese sandwich with mayo on a hoagie, the big grab bag of lays potato chips, 20 oreo cookies, a twinkie, and a thermos full of red kool-aid. I also want to add some “snacks” for little precious to have before and after lunch so he doesn’t get hungry….I will include chocolate pop tarts, little debbie’s, and a big grab bag of frito’s. Will I be arrested for this? You know in the UK, they took kids away from their parents because all the kids were fat. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569266,00.html

Once they implement Obamacare, you too will lose your kids.

ramrants on May 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I am 56 yo.

That’s pretty old for a rapper.

The Race Card on May 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I can’t imagine taking my grandson to McDonalds and telling him he can’t have anything but a salad or some yogurt (which even that is probably not “healthy” food). I took my kids for Happy Meals as a special treat, a reward for something well done, even as a bribe, but I cooked home made meals most of the time. They knew nutrition…one would always ask “what is our vegetable group going t be tonight?”

scalleywag on May 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Ed

I know its an unthinking, unconscious, common-sense ‘fact’ by now, but high-fat foods are not a problem. Fats, especially saturated fats are good for you. The Agri-governmental industrial complex has been lying to us for decades about the link between fat/cholestrol/heart disease.

Check google scholar for studies comparing ‘low-carb’ vs ‘low-fat’ diets to lose weight, and fat’s effect on heart health.

Its CARBS that are the problem. So yes, high-sugar is bad but fats are not. You can eat all the steak you want. This knowledge will take a decade or so to seep into the mainstream cos of the vested interests and regulatory collusion and/or inertia.

But I advise you to look into it.

flawedskull on May 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Very true, My lil brother has all sorts of health probs, high blood pressure, choleterol, you name it and lives on soy, wheat grass blah diet supposedly for health reasons.

I on the other hand hyave since JV football struggled to keep weight on and still do to this day eating EVERYTHING you’re not supposed to.

Archimedes on May 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Esthier on May 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Reminds me of that cute little girl at the beginning of Miss Congeniality (Sandra Bullock and Benjamin Bratt). She beat the snot out of that kid.

BuckeyeSam on May 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Just see what happens to you if you try to keep a girl from playing a game like football or kill the man.

Good Lt on May 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM

How many decades has it been since you’ve been on a schoolyard? Boys and girls often self-segregate with no interference from teachers.

A more likely outcome is that such games are disallowed by most districts. Organized play with no gender restrictions is very common.

Also, many girls today are tougher than some of the wussed-out boys running around.

The Race Card on May 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM

We say, “stuff it, fatty”.

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Yea, stuff it bloated obese out of control blob!

scalleywag on May 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM

The buck starts and ends with us. Period. Anyhoo, the kids don’t mind the apple dippers and like Taco Bell’s Frutista drinks. If there’s sugar in them I don’t care, she cares about the mangos and strawberries on the bottom.

I can now picture my family without their cereal of choice, even on evenings…Obama on the Wheaties box? Pass.

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM

The WIC program does this, but I seem to recall reading that it focuses a lot on dairy and less on fruit and vegetables.

Vera on May 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM

All this food talk has got me feeling hungry, I’m out.

Archimedes on May 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Have they ever heard the concept that it’s up to the parents to say “no”?

It’s not easy, trust me, because I have a 3-year-old with a temper, but I don’t care. My kids are MY responsibility and the government will not tell me what I can and cannot feed them.

Check out this related item from Texas of all places. The world really has gone crazy: http://tinyurl.com/28w4wfj

englishqueen01 on May 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Here’s AP’s next story:

“The childhood obesity lack of physical exercise epidemic in America is a national health crisis.”

Today, the WH announced the formation of an Obama Youth Program (OYP) for all children ages 6-18. Membership will be compulsory. No exceptions! All children will receive rigorous physical training as “shock troops”, together with classroom exercises under the supervision of specially indoctrinated Youth Czars to ensure the political goals of OYP are continuously being met.

Males will wear black lederhosen pants with white shirts; females will wear white dirndl dresses. All uniforms will bear a red circular OYP badge 3.75” in diameter, the center of such badge to be imprinted with a likeness of the president.

All children ages 6-18 will report to the OYP center nearest you Monday, November 1, 2010 at 8:00 a.m. No exceptions! Before departure on November 1, it is very important you tell your parents to vote for all OYP approved candidates on Tuesday, November 2, or your parents probably won’t see you on November 3.

alwyr on May 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Vera on May 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Yes, definitely more of a focus on dairy than fresh fruits and vegetables.

MeatHeadinCA on May 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM

In P.E. we called it “dodge ball” and called soccer “kick ball” growing up in older elementary grade school. Recess was monkey-bars, swings some seated and some by gymnastic hand rings and a “trapeze”, merry-go-rounds, Tether-ball, guys re-enacting battles and girls playing jacks, climbing up a knotted rope, whatever we liked best in the designated sanded playground per age group.

That was when school lunch menus consisted of meatloaf or else chicken drumsticks, either cooked spinach or peas or green beans, mashed potatoes ‘n gravy, and a roll or cornbread, jello and a glass of milk. Taxes were low, graduation rates were high including literacy while schools, businesses and city/state governments functioned within budget without asking/demanding a federal bail-out.

maverick muse on May 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Organized play

There is no such thing.

I played both organized sports and kid run sports, just us kids getting together and playing baseball, football, basketball, etc.

Adult organized and supervised activities always paled in comparison to the fun we had playing by ourselves.

Yes, we got hurt, feelings got hurt, we got dirty, scraped up, didn’t drink enough fluids, could have been seriously injured, etc.

But man it was fun.

Having refs and uniforms and parents shouting at us was just a big stressed out hassle.

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Is that following the Al Gore’s hockey stick graph showing an increase in obesity since the invention of the automatic grill and the most deadly device on earth, the malt machine?
You mean those kind of reports??

right2bright on May 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM

other than making school lunches healthy (which would be hard as most school lunches are already quite balanced), there isn’t much they can or should do.

Doctor Zhivago on May 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Are you writing about airport food?

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I love McDonalds. They have the best fries in the world. (I don’t own stock I just like the place.) I live in a town where that’s about the only restaurant there is. When I go there I don’t make “healthy” choices. My kids grew up eating Happy Meals. My grandson eats Happy Meals. We are all healthy folks. I could lose a few pounds but none of us takes any prescription meds. OK. Now I’ve established my street cred… I’m FOR regulation of advertising and marketing of junk food!

I do not want to see any type of food or even pseudo-food banned.

But I would like to see junk food advertising disappear from the airwaves just as I would like to see prescription drug advertising disappear. What’s with those two bath tubs out in the middle of a field anyway?

Having said all that, however, I do not trust BO & Co to just do a little regulation and stop there. Sure would be nice to see the healthy foods at eye level in the grocery store, though, and have to actually bend down and exert oneself to reach the junk. (It would help keep me in shape for one thing :lol:)

winfield on May 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM

right2bright on May 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Speaking of obese, Al Gore isn’t missing any meals lately and it doesn’t appear he’s existing on soybean alone.

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I am too lazy to go back through three pages:

Has anyone mentioned the need to disband the FCC as unconstitutional?

Vashta.Nerada on May 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Michelle Obama, Oprah winfrey, Pigs. They look awefull. They also have no business talking. My daughter has no rules. She tried to gain 6 pounds last year and failed. She also didn’t qualify for the olympics. She did graduate Summa cum laude and make the NCAA championships. We don’t watch TV. Tell the chunky Ones to mind their own business.

seven on May 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I miss the sounds of kids arguing in the street…once walked out and took a can of spray paint and painted every few feet a black line just so they could mark the ball properly, then went in and closed the windows.
Neighbor came over pounded on my door and yelled about calling the city for defacing city property…damn if my beer, when I opened it, didn’t spray him, just an accident…the police came, and threatened to throw him in jail for being, this is the quote from the policeman, “just plain stupid”…and the kids still argued, darn I miss those kids, they grew up to be an: attorney, priest, investor, another attorney (the tough one, the girl), a successful businessman, CPA.
One thing is for sure, they know how to settle differences, and where to place the ball to be fair…

right2bright on May 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I believe the feds subsidize school foods so they can have some say in it.

Hell, when I was in school, there were no vending machines, the meals were balanced, and milk cost a few pennies.

What about the feds emphasizing fitness? Remember the JFK Fitness Challenge? Probably not. Actually, they didn’t really encourage more activity but tested the kids in a lot of areas and then declared them slobs. A female friend complained that she was in grade school at the time, scored low in arm strength, and the PE teacher asked her why. She told her, you never allow us to throw a damn ball or run the full court – what do you expect? She didn’t say damn though.

Obviously things have changed for the better for girl sports. But sometimes the solutions to a problem are obvious.

Plus, I find this focus on kids weight a little too intrusive and it may have a counter effect. Nothing gain by making kids feel crappy about themselves all the time.

Blake on May 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM

BuckeyeSam on May 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Really, kids aren’t all that different at that age when it comes to physical ability.

My brother and I used to fight too, but as far as I was concerned, I was the only one who had a right to beat him up or make fun of him.

Esthier on May 11, 2010 at 4:30 PM

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Excellent…must be all those carbs in the carbon credits…

right2bright on May 11, 2010 at 4:31 PM

No, they want to create for themselves a power they never had and grind the sheeple under their heel until there’s no will left to stand up. How’s life on your knees, America?

SKYFOX on May 11, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Oh yeah. The “Hey jerk, the gas pedal is on the right” Subaru/Volvo driving “Obama” bumpersticker plastered slow poke liberal douchbags.

portlandon on May 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Oh yeah darn Volvos…*sorry Mr. PPF!* Did anybody notice that Audis are joining the pack/the new 2010 package? Mr. PPF has been checking them out. No way no how he’s gonna get a chickmobile. Ever.

Allah, my son discovered the KFC’s Double Down (through you, thankyouverymuch) and won’t let go of it. He’s 9 and he eats almost the whole thing. And he is one picky kid! BTW where the hell’s the bacon?

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 4:31 PM

sicoit on May 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM

A BP of 80/101 is not healthy. I think you mean 101/80.

Blake on May 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM

The Climbing Tree

We ran all day and climbed the trees
Without the fear of falling
But with respect for gravity
And always felt it calling

We rode in cars without air bags
The steel dashboard projecting
On slick hard seats in front and back
With no seatbelts protecting

We ate the food called poison now
And still grew into Titans
Because we ran or rode our bikes
And did our own fist fightin’

We heard an independent call
And hated slavery’s chains
We roamed at will and rode the waves
And suffered freedom’s pains

That one or two were taken out
Pursuing freedom’s verve
Was caution tale and understood
And served to steel our nerve

Yet now the children prattle by
In uniforms once earned
A tear comes to my wizened eye
And lesson hard is learned

The pain that you’re protecting from
Was once a stage of growth
So choose between a man or child
You cannot have them both

By Beto_Ochoa
Posted Sunday, November 18, 2007

maverick muse on May 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Way off topic — the city put out new recycle bins with a chip in them for future use /monitor recycles/ Great Britain already has them — what if the neighborhood swapped all the bins around and the city monitored all the wrong households — tomorrow is pickup day and I ended up with my neighbors bin — am I looking at (hard time ???in 2015 )

wheels on May 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Michelle Obama is talking stupidly. One retired pastor in our church volunteers at a school. It of course has the welfare breakfasts and lunches. Welfare kids toss most of their milk away and their apple or banana away uneaten or opened. Children raised on breast milk and raw cows milk have much lower incidences of allergies, obesity, , diabetes, lactose intolerance, asthma and vascular diseases. “Formula” is the beginning of a bad diet. These leftists will not tell the truth about nutrition or health.

seven on May 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM

winfield on May 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Why exactly is that?

Esthier on May 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM

maverick muse on May 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Exactly – no matter what you do, you can’t shield kids (and adults for that matter) from the consequences of every bad decision and kids will find away around most of this stuff anyway.

My two year old – she gravitates immediately towards everything that’s dangerous or bad for her, it’s part of being a parent I believe to teach her eventually to be smart enough to take care of herself.

Not graduate from daddy taking care of her to guvmint taking care of her.

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM

The days of dodgeball and smear the queer . . .

Sleeping stretched across the back seat of the station wagon, unstrapped in.

I will tell these tales some day and be looked at like I was at Gettysburg.

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Ehrr, are you my husband?

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I say send all the parents to a government run parental school where they will learn how to feed their kids, how to discipline their kids, and how the teach their kids.
If the kids don’t show proper improvement, then send them to a state run school where they are fed, disciplined, and taught properly.
The parents can then receive a tax credit for using the government system, which will keep the kids healthy, educated and out of trouble…saving the taxpayers huge amount of money in the future.
The best kids, the ones that follow the program, can then be “hired” to teach the next group…that way everyone will learn the same healthy, proper, correct way of living.
The parents will be happier because their kids will not have any problems, at least problems that the state won’t be able to handle…and the parents receive financial support from the government for being loyal citizens. Extra money if you are a minority parent (Asians, Jews, Cuban’s not included). More extra money if you are a single parent, and even more single parent with several children (Asian’s, Jews, Cuban’s not included).
However, some money must go to McDonald’s and other companies to compensate for the lack of revenue. So the healthy foods will have to be taxed to assist the other foods…I am just getting started, I think I am on to something liberals would buy into…

right2bright on May 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Two faced health mandates. Obama smokes. Kagan smokes cigarettes and cigars.

So we can get lectured on clean air.

Kagan used to smoke cigarettes and cigars, was coxswain for a women’s crew team at Oxford, and played a lot of softball.

Was that when she was chasing chicks with Bill Clinton?

seven on May 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM

right2bright on May 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM

This idea is complicated, expensive, counterproductive and destined to fail.

So of course liberals will buy into it, just name a number and put lots of zeros after it.

Libs will wet their pants.

You see, they want to “make a difference”.

And moral and economic catastrophes are a big difference.

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Odd that the Obama administration isn’t FIRST demanding junk food be eliminated from the Food Stamp program. This simple step would see an exodus off *free* government handouts!

Up next: Keeping your house and auto clean.

TN Mom on May 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM

My twelve year old is 5’2″ and weighs 76lbs. He has proportionally been like this, tall and thin, since he was born. My 9 year old is 4″ and about 60lbs. They both eat whatever they want. They love snacks and I sometimes have to hide them so they don’t go through a box of 60 count air heads in a night. Breakfast is either frozen pancakes, waffles, toaster strudel, or cereal. They get a school lunch (which are, unfortunately, the most unhealthy foods they will eat in a week, i.e. pizza pockets, burritos, chicken nuggets, pizza, burgers, and they like the microwave kind) or when at home roast beef, tuna fish, italian meat, BLT, or turkey sandwiches, and dinner consists of salad, vegetables they like such as okra, green beans, soy beans, or corn; potatoes, rice, or pasta depending on the meal; banana, strawberries, pears, or apples; yogurt, some meat like steak, baked chicken, sicilian style breaded pork chops, pulled pork, roast beef, or lasagna, with milk. About 3 times out of the week since they both do tae kwon do classes at the same time they are on a Pony Baseball team for Spring season, they have practice or M.A. class and with homework it is impossible to get a home cooked meal. They’ll get In-N-Out, Taco Bell, Del Taco, or Carls Jr. They do not like any of the other fast food chains.

When I was growing up and even now, I eat whatever I want and get a annual physical and have no health issues. Why do my kids and I have to suffer from the mandates of child obesity or prohibitions on diet in restaurants or at fast food chains or even at the school? The fact of the matter is, diet plays very little in physical make up than most people realize. Honestly, genetics plays a bigger role in it. Even a vegan who is genetically predisposed to have high cholesterol will still end up having to taking Lipitor or Mevacor to control it. Genetics is unavoidable. Trying to fit a One-Sized-Fits-All policy and not allowing people to make their own choices is just the antithesis of our country’s Spirit.

Sultry Beauty on May 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Michelle needs to take at look at herself in a mirror, at her lower-half both front and rear, before trying to solve the obesity problems of others.

Then, the entire federal government should be forced to attend a 500 hours course on the history of the Prohibition era…

Karmi on May 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM

winfield on May 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I heart the tv’s mute, never listen to ads anymore. We laugh at the incongruous messaging advertisers foolishly utilize visually that offend the viewer from the item being sold.

It’s bad enough being visually bombarded by the pharmaceuticals, I agree. “Tell your doctor you want xyz.”

maverick muse on May 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM

***

The Race Card on May 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Something else to thank the left for: effeminate boys. The queering of America. Thanks, liberals. All the PC is working.

BuckeyeSam on May 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM

But it’s so hhaaarrdd for all those career women to come home and make healthy dinners. McDonald’s is a result of the women having it all generation. The women do it all, but the kids grow up on the nuggets they pick up on the way home from day care. The toy provides mom with a bit of distraction when they get home though. That’s got to be worth something.

Why don’t we compare average weights of children of stay at home moms vs. the the kids of working moms. It has absolutely nothing to do with posting calories or regulating menus. It all about convenience.

caygeon on May 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Obama administration: We need to control marketing of children’s food

Response to headline:

Children: We need to control marketing of Obama’s administration

BobMbx on May 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Children: We need to control marketing of Obama’s administration

lol

maverick muse on May 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

caygeon on May 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I can’t stand generalizations. By your standards my children would be considered obese. Unfortunately, if someone called CPS on me they’d probably be more worried whether or not they were eating at all they are both so skinny.

It’s stuff like this that gets these Czars foot in the door. It’s none of your business anyway.

Sultry Beauty on May 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Sultry Beauty on May 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Glad to hear that your kids are fit as a fiddles. As far as my generalization goes, it would be interesting to see a comparison of actual statistics, wouldn’t it?

caygeon on May 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM

A BP of 80/101 is not healthy. I think you mean 101/80.

Blake on May 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I.AM.SO.CONFUSED! Thanks….I knew that! :)

sicoit on May 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM

That’s pretty old for a rapper.

The Race Card on May 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Word Dude! :)

sicoit on May 11, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Marketers and fast food chains don’t shove food down these kids and are not the cause of obesity. I’m sorry, but learning nutrition and maintaining your kids health is simple. It just takes — gasp — effort and discipline on the parents and the ability to say no to kids. This administration think parents with fatty kids (as well as fatty adults) are lazy and lack self discipline, therefore, need to be policed.

LadyGator88 on May 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Obama just lost the entire Southern states!! I’m shocked Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson hasn’t declared a march on Washington.

TN Mom on May 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM

TN Mom on May 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Well, bless your heart! AMEN to that!

sicoit on May 11, 2010 at 5:12 PM

CPS home visits to see if you are cheating on corn dogs
EPA home visits to see if you are cheating on cFC light bulbs.
Justice department visits to check to see if you prayed over your food stamp meal
IRS visit to confirm you have paid up your insurance.
Camera mounted to catch the spankers of kids.
Microchip scans for all the Energy Star Appliances.

We are getting closer to aborting a toddler being legal because the right to privacy is going to be enforced.

seven on May 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM

How do they decide between healthy and unhealthy foods? I don’t think there is any food that can be considered unhealthy when eaten in moderation.

JohnnyL on May 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM

ramrants,

You can always come to PA and go to Primanti’s or have a Roethlisberger. Hey I am not advocating for junk food, just sayin’ “I watch my back and you watch yours”. We are doing great here, and my kids have a metabolism that I envy. My daughter, 6, already eats like an adult. That’s how fast her metabolism is. I supervise closely, but hey if she’s hungry and wants to eat a turkey sub, am I gonna stop her? Hell no!

I’d like more sun, but Al Gore’s not letting us *sigh* Today we hit high 30s in PA. C’,mon Al, my son is ready to sue you!

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM

BuckeyeSam on May 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM

How about requiring anyone receiving food stamps to mow the lawns of 5 taxpaying citizens per day. If your paying them, you should receive a service in exchange.

jimmy2shoes on May 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM

What’s with those two bath tubs out in the middle of a field anyway?

winfield on May 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I am gonna go off a limb thinking you are against Big Pharma as much as I am…I have asked my husband that same question…why the hell are those two in separate bathtubs holding hands? I mean I can pull off the same stunt by the lake, I just need to go to Lowe’s and buy two. Dang those tubs sure are expensive!

Curiosity is killing me and I wanna know what happens next.

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 5:27 PM

O course, their angle on this will be that in order to keep the cost of health care down we are going to need to help people make better food choices.

This is just plain creepy. Who’d have thought it would ever get this creepy?

watson007 on May 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM

seven on May 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I’ve developed a habit of flushing at least twice. This overcomes the regulated 1.3 gallons per flush requirement.

We also have automatic paper towel dispensers at work which provides a Kleenex-size piece of paper to dry your hands with. One of our industrious engineers discovered the motor is of a low-torgue design, and a gentle pull on the paper will allow one to pull every inch of it out of the machine.

I’m also developing an arsenal of CFLs. No, not to use for light. These are to be used after the apocalypse, to poison the water supply of whoever ain’t on my side with mercury. Drink up!

BobMbx on May 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM

You can always come to PA and go to Primanti’s or have a Roethlisberger.

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM

An awesome sandwich and well worth every calorie.

myrenovations on May 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Food stamps should work like WIC. So much allotted to fresh produce, so much allotted to lean protein, etc – you know, follow the “pyramid”!

Oh, and don’t forget the personal hygiene items.

Why is it the government “trusts” those who receive foodstamps with being able to responsibly spend their handout while I am not trusted to spend what I earn?

ladyingray on May 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM

It’s weak to blame childhood obesity on fast food to begin with. It’s much more a result of snacking, sugar-laden breakfast foods, and the biggie of INACTIVITY.

McDonald’s serves meat, bread, and potatoes in Happy Meals. Kids have been growing up on those for a very long time.

We also have to get “obesity” in perspective. There’s a difference between truly, chronically obese children and children who aren’t naturally thin. There has indeed been an increase in genuine obesity among children, but not every kid with some unaesthetic lumps or rolls is “obese.”

Where society has been a real hindrance is not in the availability of fast food but in the loss, in so much of the USA, of the safe, family-oriented neighborhood and community. It’s amazing the difference between when I was a young kid, in the 1960s and early ’70s, and today. It’s been at least 20 years since I knew any parents of young children who felt safe having them go out by themselves to play with friends who lived blocks away, go to the local park, or ride their bikes by themselves.

I did all those things by myself when I was no more than 6, 7, 9, 10 years old. There was no issue of being confined to our own back yard when I was outside. Not only I — having been taught to safely cross streets by myself and avoid strangers — but the community could be trusted.

Who would send a younger kid outside to walk, ride, skateboard or blade out of his sight today? There are fewer and fewer communities left in which you can do that. The fear of predators is too great. Getting a good workout in a way that doesn’t seem like work, but rather seems like freedom and sparks the imagination, requires the actual freedom to take on more and more responsibility and go roaming and exploring. If you don’t start out with that, you won’t be magically transformed into a young person who has those qualities when you hit your teen years. So many teenagers now, who have reached the age at which their parents feel more able to trust them out of their sight, have known only confinement and regimentation.

J.E. Dyer on May 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM

The school lunch program was created after WWI in conjunction with the War Department to insure that military inductees were nutritionally up to snuff, so I can see that federal control of school lunches should continue.

And to think that nobody has challenged the school lunch program under the aegis of DADT.

J_Crater on May 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM

J.E. Dyer on May 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Megadittos!

ProudPalinFan on May 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Buck off, Ofama. When you’re finished marketing your filthy marxist, pro-islamonazi revolution in xbox games then you can take a hard look at Madison Acvea, you scumbag.

Western_Civ on May 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM

The fear of predators is too great.

Yeah some of that fear is irrational. Kids are pretty safe unless you live in crime-ridden area. You have more chance of winning Powerball than of your kids getting kidnapped and molested by someone outside of your family.

The Race Card on May 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

You can have my Saturday morning commercials when you pry my television away from my cold, dead eyes…

malclave on May 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Kids need more exercise, not less food. And they are going to model the behavior and eating habits of their parents no matter what the government does. Fat parents generally have fat kids. When they grow up, they can decide, as I did, to lose the weight if they want to. It’s not rocket science here.

There isn’t any scientific proof that kids eat bad stuff only because they see it advertised on TV. The crap they are fed in schol lunches is the worst. If the government has a role to play it is there.

rockmom on May 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

The best thing you can do in life is teach your kids how to make good choices.

Making all their choices for them, even all their food choices, does not serve them well. Have an emphasis on healthy food, but don’t make “junk” the attractive nuisance- the forbidden fruit.

MayBee on May 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Oh, sure, it all seems good now. But what happens when we get a dictator who isn’t benevolent?

Blacklake on May 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

NoDonkey on May 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Hours every day in the summer and when ever possible after school during the school year. What a hoot.

chemman on May 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I will say this though, those advertisers are pretty clever. Walking down the cereal lane at the grocery store with my 5 year old is a fun experience. “Oooh Count Chocula! Mommy look it’s Count Chocula!”

Of course, it’s then my job as a parent to say “Yes, it is Count Chocula, dear, now please grab the Cheerios.”

What’s funny is that my kids don’t watch any advertisements on tv since we don’t have cable. He can just tell by the box that something delicious awaits. Perhaps the government can crack down on exciting packaging as well. I’m sure we all can’t wait for the day when everything in the super market is packaged in plain black and white packaging with nothing but the name of the product and the nutritional information.

Sounds like government utopia to me!/sarc

Vera on May 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM

This is just plain creepy. Who’d have thought it would ever get this creepy?

watson007 on May 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Anyone who has paid attention to the flow of ideas in history could have predicted this.

chemman on May 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Obama’s utopia, where freedom ends.

Johan Klaus on May 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM

caygeon on May 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Foolish excuses everywhere….
I was on my own (with my brothers) both parents worked, then partied. We ate whatever we wanted, and consumed massive amounts of Cola…ate fast food most every night, and what night we didn’t, you can bet we didn’t eat any veggies.
I was a national champion in swimming, both my brothers (not athletes) are in their late sixties and in great health. No heart problems, no real medical problems, and I am a national ranked tennis (senior) player.
Our building blocks were food that would make these health nuts cry in anguish…but we have worked hard, had great marriages, raised great kids, have a great love for God, listened to Him about wisely investing money, all that develops strong bodies…

right2bright on May 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

America yawns……pass me another handful of fries on the way to sons soccer game.

It is over the Destroyer and his wife are running the show now.

PappyD61 on May 11, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Q: Doctor, I’ve heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart only good for so many beats, and that it…don’t waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiency. What does cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So steak is nothing more than efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef also good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And pork chopcan give you 100% of recommended daily allowance of vegetable product.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can’t think of single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No pain…good!

Q: Aren’t fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food are fried these day in vegetable oil. In fact, they permeated by it. How could getting more vegetable be bad for you?!?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for your figure, explain whale to me..

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! ‘Round’ a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways – Chardonnay in one hand – chocolate in the other – body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO-HOO, what a ride!!”

AND……

For those of you who watch what you eat, here’s the final word on nutrition and health. It’s a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat
and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat
and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine
and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine
and suffer fewer heart attacks than us..

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats
and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Johan Klaus on May 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I have a feeling the direction they want to go is far, far beyond just that.

JellyToast on May 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Obama administration: We need to control marketing of children’s food. it all!

There you go!

JellyToast on May 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM

It is all about power and control.

Johan Klaus on May 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Now about Mickey D’s Dollar Menu:

I get the kids a McDouble ($1.00 each) and take it home, put Thousand Island Dressing on it, a couple of pickles and BAM! poor man’s Big Mac for one third the price. And NEVER, I say NEVER buy the Mickey D’s soft drink. Come on, now. $1.89 for a Medium drink? Keep a 12 pack in the fridge.

Y’all are welcome!

BigAlSouth on May 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Good Lt on May 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM

You know what? It is wrong to exclude girls from sports they want to play. I loved playing sports as a kid, I would have given anything to play on the football team, but the sexist people that run the sports programs in schools thought I would be the one injured. Sorry, I was the one injuring the guys when I would play with them. And, it wasn’t because they were weak like some people would think, no, it was because I could actually play sports and not cry over a cut, bruise, sprained whatever. And, to top it off my guy friends actually wanted me to be allowed on their teams, still no go.

A major part of the reason I was in shape as a kid is because I did all of those “boy” things. Acting like girls can’t handle roughhousing is very outdated concept. And, I am not saying this because I oh so PC, I’m saying this because I know it is wrong to say a girl can’t handle playing sports with the boys.

BeLinda on May 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Let’s the communists do this and they’ll be controlling what you can eat in short order.

The left must be driven from this country.

darwin on May 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Johan Klaus on May 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Too long!

ladyingray on May 11, 2010 at 6:50 PM

ERRRRRRRRRR – Let’s get Mrs Zero to turn around and show us her big hind end – sure looks like some Big Macs went into that!

iam7545 on May 11, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I’m going out for a couple burgers,anyone want one?

aceinstall on May 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM

what would be do without big Daddy O ?

the liberal plan has worked. take the real dads out of the picture (now at 40%) then the government can take their place.
genius.

CWforFreedom on May 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM

So big a$$ MO is going to start telling private business how they should spend their advertising dollars? ENOUGH ALREADY!

jbh45 on May 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Happy meals can lead to obesity? Maybe.

Sodomy can spread AIDS? Yes.

Which is this administration going after?

Akzed on May 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM

the nutrition science in this country is at the same level as the climate science. both are junk science.

In the 1970′s the liberal declared war on fat in our food and 30 years later the entire country is obeese. Fat is a needed part of our diet. It regulates hungery, blood suger, continues esstential amino acids and othe rnutrients.

In short the smartest people in the room again have no idea what the hall they are talking baout and are making policiesthat are slowly killing us.

the USDA recommendations are a joke.

unseen on May 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

the obesity epidemic in this country like the housing crisis can be blamed on the government and their failed liberal/socialist policies.

Screw them all

unseen on May 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM

This type of regulory action leads to insane stuff, like no fast food establishments available in “poor” areas.

It’s a gross exercise of power. It’s on par with some of the worst excesses of the far-right and the religious zealotry we saw.

Back off…….both sides.