New McCain ad: You cannot be serious

posted at 4:10 pm on May 10, 2010 by Allahpundit

I don’t know what to say, guys. I’m genuinely speechless. Pandering is one thing, shameless careerist pandering is something else, and then there’s John “Goddamned Fence” McCain marching along the border in a badass Navy baseball cap looking like he could choke out a coyote with his bare hands. And you know what? If he thought he’d get a few points’ bounce from it, I bet he’d do it too. How long before he’s spotted on the trail wearing a “Viva Los 1070″ t-shirt?

Consider this a preview of the 2014 “Re-elect Lindsey Graham” ad campaign, featuring Grahamnesty piloting a Border Patrol chopper and lending a hand on an oil rig.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“Okay, the ad’s over now. Get over here and pull this stick out.”

trapeze on May 10, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I almost feel sorry for the old guy, but on the upside who knew you could start a dance craze at his age. He keeps spinning like this and it might just catch on.

DFCtomm on May 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Hey guys! He said he “got the message” when they tried to pass the amnesty bill under Bush. Maybe he meant he “got a massage…”

John McCain. Breaking Bad(ass).

These are my values. If you don’t like them, I have others.

Mr_Magoo on May 10, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I’m embarrassed. I voted for Paul Babeau for Pinal County Sheriff. Well he probably just wants to get the word out to clean up his county.

And for those of you wondering, I don’t think McCain is fooling a lot of people out here in AZ.

Mr_Magoo on May 10, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Wow. I literally can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard.

Bill Clinton was an amateur.

Jim-Rose on May 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Major miscalculation by the fine Senator on the whole amnesty thing a couple years ago – Doesn’t seem to be sooo proud of being of that whole gang of 14 thing either…. he was a great soldier & patriot, but the American people have lost their patience for further loss of our hard fought liberties, just a shame really….

huskerdiva on May 10, 2010 at 9:00 PM

So; He’s taking steroids now? A little late, i think.

Cybergeezer on May 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Somewhere Tom Tancredo is laughing.

DFCtomm on May 10, 2010 at 9:02 PM

he was a great soldier

Whoa there! Get it straight. He NEVER was a soldier, he was a Navy pilot and a piss-poor one at that.

Mr. Grump on May 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM

This is sick.

I’d like to thank anyone (not) here that voted for McCain in the Presidential primaries.

You have excellent judgement of character.

scotash on May 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Aw c’mon John, you know you don’t believe that yourself!/channeling Sarah Palin

ProudPalinFan on May 10, 2010 at 9:30 PM

We need a new word
“Shameless” is not sufficient.
It’s not even close…

Haiku Guy on May 10, 2010 at 9:38 PM

John Kerry called. He’d like his flip flop move back.

darii on May 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Wow… I just F’ing barfed.

Knuckledragger on May 10, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Un-f-ing believable. lol, what a two-faced hypocritical crapweasel.

Midas on May 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Mr. Grump, so you think that McCain was a poor pilot. McCain was a Navy combat pilot who flew off a carrier and did bombing missions over North Vietnam, which had one of the toughest air defenses in military history. I take it that you think that flying off a carrier at sea doesn’t take much skill. I take it that you think that braving North Vietnam’s air defenses was nothing. I take it that you think that being shot down by a Russian made ground to air missle reflected poor ability to fly. I take it, in short, that you are an utter ignorant idiot.

The sad thing is that given the adolsescent posts here, there are far worse fools here.

Phil Byler on May 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM

But Juan, Juan, don’t you remember? Those are just God’s children over there trying to get in here!

/sniff

sloopy on May 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM

which had one of the toughest air defenses in military history…

Phil Byler on May 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Citation? My father flew F4s from a carrier off Viet Nam, yes it was hard BUT toughest air defenses in military history, no. Hard, yes. Deserving of respect, yes.

However, seems you’d like us to believe that John McCain was the greatest pilot of the war? Randy Cunningham (5) and Steve Ritchie (5) might want to disagree.

jackal40 on May 10, 2010 at 10:56 PM

The GOP will betray you.

True_King on May 11, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Close to what he ran on in 2008.

2008 position

Jasper61 on May 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Hey jetboy, I’m not sure how to ask this, but are you sniffing airplane glue. you made two comments about John McCain that were exactly 180Deg. out of kilter. I just wish you McCainiacs would at least TRY to be honest when you comment. J.Mac has been in Washington for as long as the immigration issue has been a problem, and he’s done nothing about it, Oh wait, he tried to get amnesty. All you people that keep on about J.D. don’t know what you’re talking about. You just keep repeating what the McCain campaign has written for you. Joe Arpaio has endorsed J.D. Oh and by the way Terry Goddard is running for governor not the Senate, the Dem candidate is from the Tuscon city council, and I can’t even remember his name.

jainphx on May 11, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I don’t believe I’ve seen a more despicably phony political ad by anyone, ever.

Does anyone else have a candidate ad for “the most shameless pander of all time”?

David Blue on May 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM

“You people are wrong, Obama would be a great president” this while he was his opponent in the race. I’ll tell you this, this will not be his last gaff. McCain can’t go two weeks without saying something stupid. “My friend” John McCain was a naval aviator and spent years as a prisoner of war, and I don’t dispute that, ITS HIS TIME IN THE SENATE THAT HAS ME DETEST HIM. I just recovered from the last time he stabbed us all in the back.

jainphx on May 11, 2010 at 12:52 AM

I’m not going to engage an obvious McCain syncophant in a discussion, but Maverick Senator John’s Navy record speaks for itself. He crashed no less than three combat aircraft in non-combat accidents before finally being shot down. Usually in the military, one preventable aircraft accident is a career-ending event. Unless of course, you happen to come from a line of admirials.

Mr. Grump on May 11, 2010 at 4:47 AM

You mean something like this.

TQM38a on May 11, 2010 at 9:14 AM

And COME ON Allah! “Grahmanesty”? Et tu?

JetBoy on May 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Where ya been?

MadisonConservative on May 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Another good reason for Allah to get over MeggieMac: like father, like daughter; she’ll say she loves him then flip-flop and break his little heart, over and over again. There are some things big b@@bs aren’t worth :0

beachgirlusa on May 10, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Agreeded. B@@bs are fun to play with not to hang with.

mechkiller_k on May 11, 2010 at 10:05 AM

God, this guy is a pain in the Lindsey Graham.

Mirimichi on May 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Ascrewed up primary system where the opponents are able to cross over and pick the other parties candidates in the General gave us two choices in 2008……DUMB and DUMBER!

No-one seems to be doing anything to change it so look for Romney/Grahamnasty 2012!

Unless Sarah takes it to the people.

Come on Sarah we need ya to reofrm the curroptocrat re-elect the crapweasals system.

dhunter on May 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I feel dirty.

PattyJ on May 11, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I do not agree with the sentiment on this thread. I want something done about the illegal invasion of this country. I’m glad to see John McCain’s conversion–even if forced by electoral circumstances. On the other hand, I get so sick of that stupid fence. One thing and only one thing will stop the illegals from coming: large fines for the employers of illegals. Anything else is just silliness.

thuja on May 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I’m John Kerry McCain and I fought in Viet Nam.

Wade on May 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

thuja on May 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM

It’s exactly what they want in Washington, for us to get “sick of that stupid fence” so that they can forget about it.

A lot of us are not forgetting about it, and won’t. The fence must be built anyway, no matter how sick some people are of it. That’s America’s back yard, and it needs a “stupid fence.” It doesn’t have to stop all illegal immigration, and it won’t. But a properly designed and built fence will deter illegal incursions drastically, as has been shown over and over by other border fences worldwide.

It’s a laughable ad, and that “You’re one of us” at the end is truly cringe-inducing. But I don’t really care who builds the fence as long as they actually do it.

Edouard on May 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM

McCain’s had his run. Never overstay your effectiveness. Now, how about putting up a prison-style fence with a sniper in a tower every half-mile with a Barrett M107? Gosh Dang…I think that may just keep out intruders.

Nalea on May 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Hey, Johnny Mac,

This is just the kind of weak-kneed action that cost you the Presidency.

Shame on you, sir.

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I think I might be ill… For two reasons;

I really like what Paul Babeau, (Pinal County Sheriff ) has said and done during this whole situation.

And…

McCain’s duplicity sickens me. How can he possibly think ANYONE believes him?

mjd6852 on May 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Because I made a donation, a M/P supporter in 2008 made the mistake of asking me if I loved this guy. I said no. So she asked what I thought of him.

She nearly cried before I was done.

Then I said: “Weep for conservatives who are left with supporting people like him.” Actually, I should have said:

“Weep not for me but for your children.”

IlikedAUH2O on May 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Edouard on May 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM

The fence is a fake solution. It will not work and we should know this. The idea behind it is more akin to socialist magic thinking than conservative thought. Conservatives believe people are economically rational. If there are “good jobs” here, people will break laws, and will find innovative ways to break those laws. We have to dry up the source of those “good jobs”.

We will probably also want to have a guest worker program for agriculture.

thuja on May 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM

thuja on May 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM

How about we actually finish building it before we pronounce it a fake solution? Seems to work pretty well where it is tried.

Love to see McCain falling apart. Entirely predictable. No principles at all. This is why political traitors are worse than the opposition party. At least the opposition will stick with their position, no matter how wrong you might think it is; political traitors, media whores like McCain, they will tell wide mouthed absured Jim Careyesque lies to your face and expect you to be stupid enough to believe them.
All of you McCain supporters, Jetboy especially, if you still believe in this piece of lying crap, there is something seriously wrong with you. You cannot look at this ‘straight shooters’ history over the last 10 years and see him as anything other than a completely unprincipled media whore. If you actually believe in John McCain policies, whichever set you happened to tune in on, you.are.stupid.

austinnelly on May 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM

To Wade re 5/11 12:22 PM post: Your attempt at saracasm is dumb. Yes, John McCain did fight in the Vietnam War. He was a Navy carrier jet pilot who flew bombing missions over North Vietnam, which courtesy the Soviets had one of the toughest air defenses in military history. Kerry may have been a phony. But no one has ever seriously suggested that McCain is anything less than the authentic war hero he is, first in his role in flying bombing missions over North Vietnam and then for 5 1/2 years as a P.O.W. during which he underwent real torture (arms broken, hung by brokern arms and beaten).

John McCain’s current stance on securing the borders is actually consistent with what he has been saying for years and is spurred on now because of the national security crisis we face on our southern border. You should be directing your saracasm toward Obama, whose Administration has utterly failed to secure the border.

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Phil, you’re not being honest here. He may have always said he wants a secure border, but that’s just an offering to those who want to follow the rule of law. Until he was running for re-election he was all about pushing amnesty, giving extra rights and preferential treatment who break our laws and drain our resources. If I’m not mistaken he even wanted to do both concurrently, which completely defeats the idea of a wall in the first place. The guy’s an amnesty shill who calls those who want our nation’s laws followed bigots. Sorry, it’s just not good enough.

Darksean on May 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM

To all of you posters atacking John McCain, quite often in adolescent ways, you should all be subject to harsh criticism yourself for contributing to the country having a radical socialist demogogue as President right now. A McCain-Palin Administration would have served the country very well right now. But one of the reasons for the GOP defeat in 2008 was that too many so called conservatives sat on their rear ends and even attacked a man who has served his country well and who was one of the most qualified candidates to be Commander in Chief in decades. That man is taking the right position on securing the southern border, yet you still heap abuse on him. How pathetic can you people get.

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Wow.

ctmom on May 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I guess my calling Mr. Byler a syncophant was a bit of an understatement.

Mr. Grump on May 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM

What an OLD outdated politician like John McCain won’t do to get re-elected … even if it means lying.

Vote for more conservative politicians who will limit government and respect Arizona’s right to enforce it’s own STATE border.

AdrianS on May 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM

The old Maverick, picked to run by the New York Times and now he wants one more term to stick it to us. He was the best friend of that snake Ted Kennedy, who used to slap him on the back and say, “stick it to those sorry Republican’s John, those are fine people slipping across the border and you know it.” The old flip flopper won’t make it this time, be gone Johnny, set on a cactus plant and howl at the moon.

ronnor on May 11, 2010 at 5:09 PM

hahahahahahahaha!

That was SNL skit, wasn’t it?

Zorro on May 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM

We DID hold our noses and vote for the jerk, you A$$, or rather we voted against Obama. I don’t know what kind of make-believe world you live in that thinks anyone who recognized the danger of Obama would stay home or vote for him. But to say McCain would’ve served the country well is to completely ignore the damage that has been done to Arizona over the years, thanks to a$$es like you who come here thinking what a wonderful war hero and somehow thinking that translates into a great senator. It hasn’t, and he’s as much responisble for the disaster we have on the border as anyone else. Wake up.

Shay on May 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM

What have you done for your country Allahpundit? Other than whine about and mock people who actually are making a difference. Blogging doesn’t count.

Narutoboy on May 11, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Hey Shay: Good for you that you voted for McCain. So did Rush. There were, however, those who did not and ignored what you recognized in terms of the danger of Obama.

I am awake, and I repeat my statement that McCain has served his country well. The anti-McCain sentiment stated by you and here on this site is simply unwarranted.

McCain has been and is a pro-life fiscal conservative and foreign policy hawk. McCain has been and is still is one of the more knowledgeable persons around concerning foreign policy, military matters and national security. He was right about the Iraq War when even many Republicans went wobbly and fought off Democrat led efforts to cut off funding our troops in the field in Iraq. McCain was right to attack Obama for dithering about committing to General McChrystal’s plan for Afghanistan and for not supporting the Iranian dissidents. McCain could be right because he knows his stuff when it comes to Commander in Chief decisions. For those of us with flesh and blood in the military, his constancy has been greatly appreciated. In contrast, Obama, a socialist and appeaser, just does not know what he is doing with respect to Commander in Chief decisions — e.g., dithering as he did with respect to Afghanistan, failing to support the Iranian dissidents, bowing to foreign leaders, seeking to appease tyrants such as Ahmadinejad and Chavez, giving speeches with false history, showing hostility to Israel and treating the war with the radical Islamists as a criminal law matter (thus ordering the trial of KSM in civilian court).

Historically, McCain’s voting record overall is rated moderately conservative, and he has been a consistent opponent of out-of-control federal spending and earmarks. In 2009 and 2010, McCain’s voting has been conservative — period. He voted AGAINST every Obama bailout bill (and even voted against the second release of TARP monies when Bush was still President in late 2008). McCain voted AGAINST every Obama spending bill, denouncing Obama’s multi-trillion dollar deficit spending as “generational theft.” McCain voted AGAINST the confirmations of tax cheat Geithner, radical pro-abortion advocate Sibellius, leftist attorney Kagan and transnational advocate Koh to their respective positions in the Obama Administration. McCain voted AGAINST the confirmation of Sotomayer to the U.S. Supreme Court and will vote AGAINST Kagan to the U.S. Supreme OCurt. McCain voted AGAINST ObamaCare and was attacked by the New York Times for throwing bombs on the subject. McCain has announced that he will vote AGAINST this year’s cap and trade bill.

As for immigration, McCain called for the deployment of troops on the southern border a year ago, and his position has been for a couple of years now law enforcement first. That is the right position. Why not be glad to see it?

I don’t know why you denigrate McCain’s military record. It is quite a contrast to Obama, whose narcissism sets a very poor example for the country. McCain was a combat naval aviator, the son and grandson of U.S. Navy Admirals; his campaign theme of “Country First” reflected a family tradition of military service continuing with one son who is a Marine who has served several tours of duty in Iraq and another son who is a Naval Academy graduate and serves in the Navy; John McCain’s discussion of serving with a servant’s heart was and is genuine. That is an outstanding example for the country.

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM

To Mr. Grump on May 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM: There is no word “syncophant.” Did you mean “sycophant”? If so, giving McCain his due does not make me a toady. See my 5/11 10:24 PM post for details supporting my statement in McCain’s favor.

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Hey Phil when you get down to where you have to make silly comments about a misspelling, you prove you have no argument. Now be a good little SYCOPHANT and go away.

Mr. Grump on May 12, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Phil, I think Mr. Grump is right, you’re a hopeless sycophant. To say that war heroism doesn’t translate into a good senator does *not* denigrate his military record. It’s very nice that he has gotten conservative in the last year (or two as you claim) but our history with McCain goes back to 1982 and we are accustomed to seeing him get conservative when elections draw near, only to veer across the aisle after he wins. We can’t afford that anymore. It has nothing to do with his military heroism. If you want a military hero who would be great in politics, donate to Allen West in Florida. Here in Arizona we need someone who will be consistently conservative and that is NOT McCain.

Shay on May 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I am awake, and I repeat my statement that McCain Murtha has served his country well. The anti-McCainMurtha sentiment stated by you and here on this site is simply unwarranted.

Phil Byler on May 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM