Men of iron and steel

posted at 2:15 pm on May 8, 2010 by Doctor Zero

The release of “Iron Man 2” this weekend kicks off the summer blockbuster season.  It’s an interesting cultural moment for conservatives.  The movie version of Iron Man is one of the most unambiguously libertarian figures in popular culture, a billionaire industrialist playboy who spends much of the new movie telling the government to get bent when it tries to claim his amazing suit of high-tech armor.  He’s patriotic, loves the military, and views the bad actors of the world from a Reaganite position of moral confidence.  In the original movie, he did what Hollywood has been painfully reluctant to do, ever since September 11: he flew over to the Middle East and took out the trash.  This Atlas doesn’t shrug… he busts out repulsor beams and micro-missiles.

The recent wave of super-hero movies has been largely agreeable to conservatives.  “The Dark Knight” topped many lists as the most powerful expression of conservative themes in recent years.  “The Incredibles” would be a hit on pay-per-view in Galt’s Gulch.  Spider-Man carried his famous motto, “with great power comes great responsibility.”  The hero of last months’ “Kick-Ass”, disillusioned by the passive willingness of so many people to tolerate evil, illustrated the conservative pedigree of Spidey’s creed by turning it around: “with no power comes no responsibility.”

The movie version of “Kick-Ass” was hailed in some quarters as a fable about individualists taking charge of their lives, and stepping forward to the front lines of the war against crime, rather than helplessly waiting to be rescued.  (The original comic follows the same major plot points, but has an entirely different meaning, due to a crucial difference in the background of Big Daddy, the character played by Nicholas Cage in the film.  It’s amazing how much that single detail changes the point of the story.)

Superhero comics generally slant more to the Left than recent movie adaptations.  It could be said the best superhero movies feature the same direct and earnest heroism as the Golden Age comics.  Like early comic books, the superhero movie is still introducing itself to its audience.  The characters haven’t been overexposed and eroded through complex re-inventions, leading lazy writers to inject leftist cant into their stories, in a desperate attempt to seem relevant and high-minded.  Average folks who enjoy “Iron Man 2” this weekend would be utterly baffled by the portrayal of a nearly fascist Tony Stark in the recent “Civil War” storyline running through Marvel Comics.  An industry that flirts with the idea of Captain America charging into battle against the Tea Party has lost touch with its roots, and taken leave of its senses.  Fortunately, the superhero movies are giving us cleaner, more coherent interpretations of these great characters.

Comic fans argue about whether a particular superhero subscribes to liberal or conservative politics, and while most modern comic creators seem to write from the Left, the superhero itself is a fundamentally conservative, libertarian idea.  It’s also a remarkably American concept.  Its roots stretch back into pulp fiction, folk tales, and ancient myths, and there have been fine efforts in the genre around the globe, but only America seems able to produce truly legendary superheroes.  Like the United States itself, it’s an art form blended from old traditions and modern science, incorporating influences from many cultures to produce something unique.

As early America drew the attention of the brilliant de Tocqueville, superhero fiction has attracted overseas talent to produce some of its finest entries.  From the dark wit of Alan Moore’s cultural autopsies, to Neil Gaiman’s elegant tapestries of arcane legend and modern drama, superheroes have benefited greatly from the perspective of foreign-born artists… but in the end, they all live here, from the confields of Kansas to the concrete valleys of New York, and the urban dreamscape of Gotham City.

Superheroes are a libertarian fantasy, because they are individual men and women given the power to shape the course of history, and burdened with the moral responsibility to use it wisely.  Spider-Man learned this in his hour of grief, after a moment of selfishness cost a good man his life.  Superman is a Kansas farm boy who discovered he was a god, and devoted himself to protecting the mortal men and women around him, who he loved and respected with all of his heart.  Batman is an extraordinary individual who devoted his talents to the pursuit of justice, freely choosing a path of agony and terror when his wealth and ability offered countless other choices.  Some fans say they like the character because he’s a normal guy, and anyone could be Batman, but the point of his legend is that Bruce Wayne isn’t just anyone. He’s a paragon of intellect and will, one in a billion, who chooses to be a knight when he could have been a king.

Superheroes are not produced by central planning or political fiat.  Even when the government manages to create one, it’s a miraculous accident.  Most of them are ordinary people who were granted power through an improbable frenzy of science or the elements, struck by lightning or bathed in radiation, rewarded for a moment of pure kindness by ancient wizards or dying aliens.  Some make a willing choice to accept their power and the obligation to use it wisely, swearing into a battle against evil that has raged across aeons and galaxies.  Others find themselves fumbling through a crazy new life without an instruction book (or, if there was such a book, they promptly lose it.)  Their enemies cannot be appeased, and they’re not impressed by noble gestures.  The superhero story expresses themes of duty and responsibility, courage and initiative, on the towering scale of mythology.  We all write the pages of history, but superheroes do it with boldface capital letters.

Iron Man is the most perfectly American superhero, next to Captain America, whose own movie is on the way.  The armored avatar of resourcefulness and ingenuity, Tony Stark does what capitalists always do, in the long run: create incredible possibilities, far beyond the narrow vision of politicians with constituencies to appease.  He understands that no one else can lift the burden of responsibility from his shoulders, and he’ll be damned before he lets anyone take it by force.  His marvelous suit of armor is his defiant statement that threats to his loved ones and fellow citizens are no longer Somebody Else’s Problem.  He doesn’t want to run for office, but he’s a perfect American leader nonetheless – funny, creative, maddening, indomitable, in love with himself and everyone around him, and completely uninterested in blaming anyone else for his troubles.  He cleans up his own mistakes.  I’d vote for him.

Cross-posted at www.doczero.org.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

superheroes have benefited greatly from the perspective of foreign-born artists… but in the end, they all live here, from the confields of Kansas to the concrete valleys of New York, and the urban dreamscape of Gotham City.

Anybody, from anywhere, can imagine super powers. But without solid values, you can’t have Superman.

You can only have the Übermensch; the most pathetic being imaginable. And the more power he has, the more pathetic he becomes.

logis on May 8, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Tony Stark 2012!

TheQuestion on May 8, 2010 at 12:43 PM

He’s patriotic, loves the military, and views the bad actors of the world from a Reaganite position of moral confidence.

How does that make him a libertarian?

Y-not on May 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM

What does BOR do in the movie? He said he was in it.

LurkerDood on May 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM

great movie! highly recommend it!!!

deidre on May 8, 2010 at 2:23 PM

What does BOR do in the movie? He said he was in it.

LurkerDood on May 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM

He does headlines regarding Tony Stark and his behavior as well as the new CEO to Stark enterprises (which is Pepper) and calls Pepper a pinhead.

deidre on May 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM

The boys are all over me to take them to IM2, so I’m going whether I want to or not (I do want to go).

I wonder if the left will find a way to attack this movie now that the insinuation that it is a conservative tale has been put out there.

Bishop on May 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Minor comment: the serendipitous nature of the powers of most comic book superheros has a significant leftist bent to it. Basically, some element of luck is involved, just as the Marxist sees the rich as the lucky, who owes something to the community rather than having earned what he has by benefiting the community in the first place.

Count to 10 on May 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM

What does BOR do in the movie? He said he was in it.

I might watch it anyway.

Bugler on May 8, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I really enjoyed Iron Man 2. Robert Downey Jr. is at the top of his game right now. There is a scene where Downey gives props to the DJ at his party, that DJ is DJ AM the recently deceased famous DJ who overdosed. Really weird seeing a former addict talking to a current addict who is now dead from an overdose.

Howcome on May 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Spill.com has a pretty funny review of this movie, I wanna see it, but I also have kids … Oh well, I guess I’ll just hafta read HotAir comments about it instead of seeing it myself.

Tony737 on May 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I liked the movie, but it was a bit of a mess. I feel there was a better version of the movie before the final edit.

billhedrick on May 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Left, the superhero itself is a fundamentally conservative, libertarian idea. It’s also a remarkably American concept.

Not really. See Baroness Emmuska Orczy.

MB4 on May 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM

How does that make him a libertarian?

Y-not on May 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM

He is not married, doesn’t have 4 kids, doesn’t state much on social issues like Homosexuals and Abortion. And we don’t see much in the way of Tony Stark having a religious faith.

Holger on May 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM

As a lifelong comic fan, I want to stand and APPLAUD this essay. It’s an excellent dissection as to why the iconic superheroes are, well, so iconic and heroic. That makes it all the more depressing when one looks at modern day comic book writing and sees just how deeply most modern writers just do not understand the comic characters they write and what makes them so special to us.

Vyce on May 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM

who chooses to be a knight when he could have been a king.

Love this quote. The same can be said (and has) about George Washington. Can’t wait to see the movie.

4Freedom on May 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM

lol…the writer has super nerd powers

tlynch001 on May 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM

If only the “actual” libertarians were so forceful about defending our nation. I find them to be missing in action on that front or offering naive, worthless bromides like Ron Paul trowels out. “Trade with them and we will have peace” is not a strategy.

Withdrawing our forces worldwide without some serious thought could be a disaster as well and will not bring about the result they think it will.

On the economic side, I am with them. But in facing down terrorism and other global threats, they are pretty worthless. Their non-interventionism goes well beyond extreme to the point of doing nothing at all.

echosyst on May 8, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Iron Man 2 was a good, but I’d say was closer to a B, and definitely not a B+. Its not Spiderman 2 or the Dark Knight, but it was entertaining. On the other hand, Don Cheadle really sucks it up.

El_Terrible on May 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I think allot of people are confused about Libertarianism vs Objectivism, Which is what Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead are really about. The write and creator of those masterpieces does not view Libertarians in a positive light and views them as ideological hijackers. Nathaniel Brandon is mostly associated with Libertarianism. Ayn Rand has dissociated any connections with the Libertarian Movement. aka. The Ron Paulians. Not that anyone cares but they should.

Egfrow on May 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM

On the economic side, I am with [libertarians.] But in facing down terrorism and other global threats, they are pretty worthless. Their non-interventionism goes well beyond extreme to the point of doing nothing at all.
echosyst on May 8, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I have no problem with people who want non-interventionism too. But hey, guess what? THERE’S ALREADY A PARTY FOR THAT!

If libertarians went to the Democrats and tried to get them to drop that silly little Communism bugaboo of theirs, I’d back them 100%.

But they don’t ever do that. Why?

Anybody that wants to join the Republican Party, more power to you. Then AFTER that pesky little Welfare State has been completely dismantled, anybody that wants to is perfectly free to flock back to the Democrats and work to get the US military disbanded.

But they don’t ever do that. Conservatives welcome libertarians with open arms on one issue, and then they kick us in the crotch and try to dictate what we need to believe in about every other issue.

That’s why I call them “liberaltarians.” There’s no way to guess what side they’re on. The only thing I can be absolutely sure about is that it isn’t mine.

logis on May 8, 2010 at 3:17 PM

1.) Who is BOR?

2.) Saw Iron Man 2. I liked it but did not love it like the first one. Still like the Avengers tease in the movies.

3.) Saw “How to Train your Dragon” today as well. That movie I loved.

mechkiller_k on May 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Don Cheadle really sucks it up

Agreed. I liked the first actor to play Rhodey. Why was he replaced?

mechkiller_k on May 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM

deidre on May 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Thanks

LurkerDood on May 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM

1.) Who is BOR?

mechkiller_k on May 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Bill O’Reilly

LurkerDood on May 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Thanks LurkerDood. I did not like him in this movie.

mechkiller_k on May 8, 2010 at 3:28 PM

10:00 IMAX in Alhambra, CA (9 mile east of downtown LA) was sold out last night at 15 minutes before show time.

Leaving for the Sat matinee now. Good reviews for conservatives elsewhere on the web and I love retro-SF as few others.

ElRonaldo on May 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Iron Man 2 was a good solid B+. Decent plot, solid performances, and A+ special effects. I thought the plot meandered too much. There were also too many subplots and too much going on throughout much of the film. Fortunately the filmmakers were able to wrap everything up satisfyingly and the film wasn’t a total disaster like Spiderman 3.

Definitely worth the money that I paid and I’m glad its unabashedly conservative themes are pissing off liberal film critics.

I loved Stan Lee’s cameo in the film. Hysterical.

Mike Honcho on May 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM

It was a great time. There’s nice setup for the Avengers and be sure to hang out after the credits roll.

Denverslim on May 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I want to be a superhero who has the power to fart in the faces of the bad guys.

radjah shelduck on May 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM

If only the “actual” libertarians were so forceful about defending our nation.

My point exactly.

Y-not on May 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I loved Iron Man, I loved the Incredibles. I don’t care at all for the Dark Knight series – but I do love Micheal Caine as Alfred. I was so devoted to Superman as a kid it took a long time for me to appreciate Superman the movie for what it was – I was super-critical of any cinematic depiction of my favorite superhero aside from those old Fleischer cartoons. In the comics they killed superman off, and before that they gave him a mullet – what’s up with that? If Captain America turns out to be a Liberal anti-war, anti-military film I won’t even rent it.

Dork B. on May 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Nice write up Doc…

… I haven’t been to the movies in years. Maybe it’s time I see what is on Pay-Per-View.

Seven Percent Solution on May 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Iron Man 2 was ok. A 2 1/2 star movie(out of 4) whereas the first one was closer to 3 1/2 stars. There were too many characters. It was poorly paced with some people like Rhodey and Whiplash disappearing for what seemed like 30 minutes. And the final showdown was kind of a letdown. It ends after about a minute. What carries this movie is Robert Downey, Jr.’s performance. This is not one of those comic book sequels where the hero is shoved into the background so the villains can hog the spotlight. It’s Tony Stark’s movie.

I guess I’m one of the few people who’s not down with the Avengers stuff. I dug Sam Jackson as Nick Fury and the Thor teaser after the credits was cool, but when you force the writer and director to make this almost as much of an Avengers prequel as it is an Iron Man sequel, the plot ends up all over the map. I prefer the DC approach so far where Batman is isolated in his own universe. Hell, Nolan refuses to even introduce Robin into that world.

As for the politics of Iron Man 2, at times it did feel like it was leaning right. But overall I thought it played it down the middle. For every clip with Christiane Amanpour bickering with Pepper, you had one with Bill O’Reilly slamming both Tony and Pepper in his Talking Points Memo(which was a brilliant cameo BTW). It was(dare I say it?) fair and balanced.

Doughboy on May 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Just got back from seeing it, Outstanding! and we need a “Stark” right now!

Viper1 on May 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM

My brothers, many, many moons ago, were deep into super hero comics. Of course, back then on tv, the only choices for viewing were the old black and white Superman episodes of the 50′s, and the Batman program. To which I was uninterested. lol BAM. KA POW, and WHAM just didn’t do it for me. But I do admit, I loved reading the comics myself. Epspecially if Wonder Woman, or the Yellow Canary were in them.

Now my son loves them, but not the newer versions of lefty superheroes. He loves those of yesterday, as you so eloquently wrote of, Doctor Z. I really enjoyed reading this piece. It took me back to those days of child hood, and gave me renewed faith, that all Americans will see this as a great thing. The end of victimization, and the new era of personal responsibility, and strength. Not just for ourselves, but for our country. I really believe our survival as a nation depends on it.

capejasmine on May 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I loved Stan Lee’s cameo in the film. Hysterical.

Mike Honcho on May 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Saw it last night, but forgot to look for Stan.

I thought the movie was thoroughly enjoyable, and the special effects were very well done. Downey is just straight out fun to watch these days.

TexasDan on May 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Captain America busts Climategate scientists: http://optoons.blogspot.com/2010/02/captain-america-vs-cap-and-trade-click.html

Mervis Winter on May 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Agreed. I liked the first actor to play Rhodey. Why was he replaced?

mechkiller_k on May 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM

The two rumors were A)Favreau hated Terrence Howard’s performance in Iron Man or B)Howard demanded too much money to return(he was the highest-paid actor in the first movie). After watching Cheadle’s performance which was serviceable but no better than Howard’s, I’m thinking it was all about money. Especially given how Marvel’s tight purse strings nearly caused Mickey Rourke and Sam Jackson to walk.

So there is an Avengers hint in this one?

splink on May 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM

There are references to Captain America, the Incredible Hulk, and Thor. Plus you’ve got Nick Fury and Black Widow. So they pretty much covered all the major players.

Doughboy on May 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Don Cheadle really sucks it up

Agreed. I liked the first actor to play Rhodey. Why was he replaced?

mechkiller_k on May 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Better agent…

catmman on May 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Saw Iron Man 2 yesterday and I thought it was great. I loved the first one. Loved the music, the suit and Tony’s house. Cheadle was not so great, but then again I did not go to see the movie for him. I also loved the Audi!

If you go see it, stay until the very end after the credits run.

freeus on May 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Captain America reference can be seen when Tony Stark is working in his lab on his dad’s work, he uses it to prop up what looks like a particle collider of some sort.

Holger on May 8, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I’m no comic expert, but isn’t Gotham the same as New York City?

Free Constitution on May 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Holger on May 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM

so in other words, libertarians are gay baby-killing pagans…

right4life on May 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM

so in other words, libertarians are gay baby-killing pagans…

and black leather clad reefer addicts

Stephen M on May 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM

4Freedom on May 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM

GW was a tyrant (see Whiskey Rebellion). He ended up Prez for life – if that’s not king, I don’t know what is. For him to choose knight over king, he refuses the presidency and stays general.

fossten on May 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM

fossten on May 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM

To call George Washington a tyrant over the Whiskey rebellion sounds like a pretty weak argument.

That’s also an incident where:
(a) no one was shot.
(b) 20 were arrested… all were later pardoned.
(c) The tax was repealed when a new government (under Jefferson) was elected.

Serious police action… yes. Tyrannical use of force… I would say no.

Chaz706 on May 8, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I’m no comic expert, but isn’t Gotham the same as New York City?

Free Constitution on May 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Gotham has always been more oldschool Chicago. Metropolis on the other hand is more or less New York.

But then again, all of the writers were from or around New York so it’s a bit of a blur.

Doctor Zhivago on May 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM

right4life on May 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM

It must suck to have your entire world revolve around gays, abortion and disbelief.

Holger on May 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Hey, it was just a fun movie. I went ahead and popped $18 for IMAX (which wasn’t that much better than a normal screen) in order to simply ‘vote with my dollars’ for a movie where tha protagonist got in the face of a Senator who was trying to confiscate private/intellectual property.

The constitution does specifically mention protection of intellectual property, y’know. One of the ENUMERATED powers that Congress is tasked to provide protections for.

So it’s nice to see a ‘businessman’ simply say ‘no’.

ElRonaldo on May 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I’m no comic expert, but isn’t Gotham the same as New York City?

Free Constitution on May 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Metropolis is NYC, Gotham is more like Chicago. I’ve got tickets to take the kids to see it tomorrow afternoon. Loved the first one, can’t wait for tomorrow!

Kevin71 on May 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Has somebody been reading too much Lew Rockwell?

oddjob1138 on May 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Metropolis and Gotham are both NYC. “Gotham City” is one of its nicknames. But oddly enough NYC also exists in the DC Universe.

oddjob1138 on May 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Holger on May 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM

really now? given that you were the one that brought it up.

it must really suck to be a gay pagan baby killer

right4life on May 8, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Has somebody been reading too much Lew Rockwell?

oddjob1138 on May 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM

old lewie proves that libertarians are nut-jobs.

right4life on May 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM

The New York Post carried an article about this today:

Iron Man, capitalist hero
A superhero who stands up for what’s right — smaller government

Little did Aaron Sorkin suspect, when he wrote the lefty drama “A Few Good Men,” that the only thing anyone would ever remember about it was Jack Nicholson’s Col. Jessep speech, which Sorkin accidentally made more convincing than any liberal argument he ever offered: “Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. You want me on that wall — you need me on that wall. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.”

Col. Jessup, shake hands with your 21st-century equivalent: Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark.

Sharke on May 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM

great post. I am wondering which way Joss Whedon is gonna go directing The Avengers. IMO Firefly was all about independence from the state…

ginaswo on May 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM

and yes Gotham is NYC@!

ginaswo on May 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM

radjah shelduck on May 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Go rent Mystery Men.

Pcoop on May 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Doughboy on May 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Just need Ant-Man and the Wasp and we got everyone.

Pcoop on May 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM

really now? given that you were the one that brought it up.

it must really suck to be a gay pagan baby killer

right4life on May 8, 2010 at 10:15 PM

You were the one who at the merest mention of abortion or gays came out from under your Bridge. You are like Andrew Sullivan, obsessed about buttsex and the uterus. And you posted like you didn’t understand context.

I am Pagan, the rest of your sad sad insult doesn’t apply. Against Gay Marriage and against abortion (and I don’t need the unprovable supernatural mysticism of any religion to argue against either). But I am not obsessed on those issues, I do not wait for posts or threads on those issues, my every thought doesn’t revolve around those issues. Unlike, seemingly, you.

Holger on May 8, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I love this read. Very true about Superheros. Even a movie like Watchmen, written as an anti-Reagan piece has a whole new meaning in today’s world.

The character of Ozymandias is a perfect comparison to a certain president we know and despise.

Pcoop on May 8, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Holger on May 8, 2010 at 11:50 PM

you really are a delusional little wacko aren’t you now? you bring it up, then project it upon others…

you libertarians are wacko trash, as you prove with every post.

right4life on May 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Introducing… Iron Jan!

Doctor Zero on May 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM

That was awesome! I love Day By Day.

RAB on May 9, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Yep. You’re right. Do know how happy I was when Optimus Prime basically told the government wuss that you can not negotiate with evil?

Superheroes are a special breed. It’s the only time when there are no gray areas. There’s is either right or wrong. And it feels good to clearly make that distinction.

xax on May 9, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Kevin71 on May 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Wow. Always though Gotham was NYC, but I can definitely see why it would be like Chicago. Makes even more sense that way.

xax on May 9, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Dang. Why didn’t anyone point out that our POTUS was from GOTHAM?

The electorate may have understood that before it was too late.

IlikedAUH2O on May 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Introducing… Iron Jan!

Doctor Zero on May 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Doctor Zero: I salute you,thats awsome:)

canopfor on May 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM

he flew over to the Middle East and took out the trash

Heh.

labrat on May 9, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I liked the super heroine on “Weird Science.”

ExpressoBold on May 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Introducing… Iron Jan!

Doctor Zero on May 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I saw that this AM as I read their strip daily. I posted a link on the OOTW page and was going to do it here, too, but you beat me to it, lol.

Congrats! That’s really awesome.

DrAllecon on May 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM

right4life on May 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Oh that is funny. Someone asks how Iron Man is Libertarian and not Conservative and I point out the utter lack of dialogue on Social Issues. And like the Pavlovian troll you are, you come out from under your bridge.

But somehow it is my fault that your world revolves around those two issues (this is the first time I’ve seen you post in awhile). You could have not posted, but instead you posted, but it is my fault.

And your are an ass. The only place you and I depart is on our silly religions.

Holger on May 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM

glad to see you miss me, apparently my posts mean a great deal to you….yours not so much, sorry.

You could have not posted, but instead you posted, but it is my fault

because I knew it would piss you off, and I was right! so glad to annoy a wacko like you.

The only place you and I depart is on our silly religions.

Holger on May 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM

yeah atheism is pretty silly, worshiping at the altar of darwin is idiotic.

right4life on May 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM

oh and libertarians ALWAYS talk about social issues, how they’re for killing babies, and suppressing freedom of religion for christians in order to appease gays.

talk about clueless…wow

right4life on May 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Take your OT personal vendetta outside chaps. There’s nerd talk here. No room for social crap.

oddjob1138 on May 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Doctor Zero on May 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Doc, you’re now officially on the Dextrosphere A-List. And long past due.

The Monster on May 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Excellent Essay,

slight nitpick though. Uncle Ben told Peter, “With great power must come great responcibility.”

The_Livewire on May 10, 2010 at 6:14 AM

Indeed but isn’t that true? The issue is the government and cultural elite dictating the actions of someone who is blessed with wealth, power, or immense talent. People have a moral obligation to benefit their fellow man but by a means of their own choosing…they shouldn’t be forced to do so.

The question in my mind comes down to the government seizing property of redistribution as opposed to a person parting with a portion charitably of their own free will or at least by social pressures, ‘because its the right thing to do’ sort of thing.

I don’t like the idea of such a backlash against, say, high taxes, that people who become exceptionally successful feel the need to hoard and clutch their wealth. A voratious, trending toward socialist construct encourages that kind of behavior.

Texas74 on May 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM