When will Romney endorse someone in California’s Senate race?

posted at 9:54 pm on May 7, 2010 by Allahpundit

Normally I wouldn’t ask, but since Huck and Sarahcuda have both anted up — he for DeVore, she for Fiorina — I think it’s about time everyone shows their cards, no? This has been a constant source of irritation with Romney, exercising prudence to a fault in not endorsing Doug Hoffman or Marco Rubio until it became politically “safe” to do so. Grassroots conservatives want to see some nerve; a principled candidate who’s out for more than his own political self-interest should find someone to like between Campbell, Fiorina, and DeVore.

Assuming that Romney’s only out for his self-interest, though, which candidate should he endorse? DeVore would give him “true conservative” cred that he needs but DeVore’s a likely loser at this point. Why alienate Campbell and Fiorina when they’re more likely to be in a position to help him in the Cali presidential primary? Campbell’s the front-runner at the moment, but he also has an “Israel problem” and Romney doesn’t need any headaches on that front. As for Fiorina, a reciprocal endorsement from her isn’t guaranteed if Palin also runs in 2012. If he wants to lock someone up, Campbell’s the obvious pick.

I think DeVore’s the smart choice since it’ll buy Mitt some grassroots cred vis-a-vis Sarahcuda, which he’ll desperately need if 2012 turns into a race between the two of them. Granted, if Fiorina wins the race she’ll be in a position to help Palin, but who cares? A Republican senator’s endorsement won’t be determinative in California, and by backing DeVore, Romney neutralizes Huckabee’s gesture to the base. An easy call here, right?

Comments

As someone said the other day…’after the votes are in’

lukespapa on May 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Romney would win a California primary easily….

No need to make unforced errors by endorsing someone.

If I had to guess, he’d go with Fiorina, since Palin made it safe to do so.

therightwinger on May 7, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Oh yeah, Chuck Devore is an incredibly weak candidate. And Tom Campbell is a tool. Fiorina is by far the best of the bunch.

therightwinger on May 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Exactly, my friend.

Ian on May 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I don’t have a good feeling about this Mitt guy, he’s not about to take off the gloves when it comes to Barry.

We need someone that’s going to cold cock, sucker punch and knee Barry in the fellas.

Fight dirty. Win. Don’t underestimate the Democrats, they are gutter rats who will gnaw off your eyeballs if you let them.

Bring a bazooka to the knife fight.

Don’t know who that is yet, but Mitt’s not it.

NoDonkey on May 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM

He would endorse Campbell since Romney probably cares more about the Gov race and Whitman’s people would probably prefer Campbell…

ninjapirate on May 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM

But I really doubt he endorses anybody…

ninjapirate on May 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM

When will Romney endorse someone in California’s Senate race?

Um, never. That’s what happens when you have no principles and spine.

davek70 on May 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Romney likes Meg Whitman the most and want to stay out to campaign for her.

PrezHussein on May 7, 2010 at 10:05 PM

When will Romney endorse someone in California’s Senate race?

When there’s a poll telling him what he thinks.

BillH on May 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I’m sorry…

… I’m still waiting for Mitt, Palin, and Huck to weigh in on support for the Arizona law and securing our borders.

Did I miss it?

I could have, but since no one has said they are running for the head of the ticket, why do I care?

Let the candidates in our Tijuana whore house, formally known as the State of California, make their case to the illegals, I mean voters, and make sure they march in the streets waiving Mexican flags…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on May 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I’m sorry…

Did I miss it?

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on May 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Yeah, you missed it. Palin weighed in immediately, supporting the law.

NoNails on May 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I think it’s about time everyone shows their cards, no? This has been a constant source of irritation with Romney, exercising prudence to a fault …

LOL – “prudence” isn’t one of his faults. Ever hear of “RomneyCare”?

HondaV65 on May 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, you missed it. Palin weighed in immediately, supporting the law.

NoNails on May 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Exactly – unlike Mitt, Sarah doesn’t wake up every morning and think … “Who should I be today”.

HondaV65 on May 7, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Yes indeed, since Mitt has come out and shown leadership in so many close races in the last six months!

/need I put a sarc tag?

Intrepid on May 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Yeah, you missed it. Palin weighed in immediately, supporting the law.

NoNails on May 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Thanks…

OK, Mittens…

… your turn.

Seven Percent Solution on May 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM

When he determines the wind direction which least affects his perfectly coiffed hair.

Bee on May 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I’m sorry…

Did I miss it?
Seven Percent Solution on May 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM

You missed it, but here it is:

Sarah Palin joins the immigration debate
To keep up with Sarah Palin, check Conservatives4Palin.com and PalinTV.com on a regular, if not daily, basis.
I do! :-)

Jenfidel on May 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I could care less who Romney or Palin endorses. It certainly has no bearing on my decision.

Romney endorsed Meg Whitman (understandably to my dismay) but I’m still voting for Poizner.

All the candidates are polling within striking distance of Boxer, so I would hardly call DeVore the “likely loser”.

The Ugly American on May 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Check back in Jan, 2011. Nobody expects Mitt to stand on true principle.

Southernblogger on May 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM

=========================================

Me thinks, Mitt is politically,”gun shy”!(sarc).

canopfor on May 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Oh, Jesus.

This is the Man in Waiting that the Beltway GOP wants to ram down out throats.

Obama would beat this guy like a rented mule. Not only has he not made a decision to support the Governor of Arizona, unlike the Cuda, he can’t even make up his mind about California, unlike the Cuda.

Guess he’ll endorse Campbell after Boxer kicks his a$$ in the General.

victor82 on May 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM

The only endorsement I really cared about was Tom McClintock’s

He’s supporting both DeVore and Poizner.

The Ugly American on May 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM

How about he endorse the person he thinks is the best candidate for CA… that should be enough… The only endorsement that has any power behind it is Sarah’s anyway…

CCRWM on May 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM

It would be entirely inappropriate for him to weigh in on a republican primary. Mitt Romney is now effectively the head of the republican party and as the leader, it is not appropriate for him to offer endorsements in primaries.

Besides, it wouldnt be fair. If he were to endorse a candidate, then everybody would know that the candidate he endorsed was the best candidate and would sink the other candidates. He will not abuse his power in that way.

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Hey Allah, I got a newflash for ya. If it comes down to him or “Sarahcuda” as you call the former half-term governor, Mitt wont need anything. He will win by showing his ability to speak in complete sentences…you know, a subject and a verb.

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Nobody cares what Romney does. That is a statement, not a question.

Key West Reader on May 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM

The Ugly American on May 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I’m a Devore fan, and sent him $$ but:
he can’t win the primary, it’s painfully obvious in the polling and just became ridiculously unlikely after yesterday.

bestwins on May 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Who cares?

Romney is a Republican anachronism.

percysunshine on May 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I’m sorry…

Did I miss it?
Seven Percent Solution on May 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Yep, you missed it because Mitt Romney spoke out immediately in favor of the Arizona law.

From Politico 4/28/10:

“Arizona’s new immigration enforcement law is the direct result of Washington’s failure to secure the border and to protect the lives and liberties of our citizens,” Romney said.

“It is my hope that the law will be implemented with care and caution not to single out individuals based upon their ethnicity,” he added. “It is increasingly clear that the time has come for Washington to fulfill its responsibility for border security.”

Romney is one of the first likely presidential contenders to speak out on the controversy.

JA on May 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Period.

Marcus on May 7, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Nobody cares about Mitt Romney

Key West Reader on May 7, 2010 at 10:44 PM

JA on May 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Yeah hmmm i didn’t see rommney side by side with the Gov of Az at a baseball game the day she signed the bill. i did see Palin embrace her

Mitt is always just words Palin is always action

unseen on May 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Mitt Romnet is a a pretty face. That’s about it. We need a man in the next race. Not a pretty face. If we want a face and hair candidate it’d be Edwards.

Key West Reader on May 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Mitt Romney is now effectively the head of the republican party

According to whom? Romney hasn’t made any type of “leadership” decisions in the last six months, so why would he be considered the “head of the republican party”?

Sorry, but we’re tired of the whole “next in line” thing. We want someone who actually shows courage. Mitt has shown none.

Intrepid on May 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

ROFL.

El_Terrible on May 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Mitt Romney has bazillions of dollars. Charisma.

/Can we get some guts and glory?

That’s what I thought. NO. NO Mittens.

Key West Reader on May 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Geeze, if I had a bazillion dollars I could win an election, too. Fortunately I don’t.

We have to take our Nation back through regular, ordinary, simple people. Mitt Romney’s and Barack Obama’s and their bazillions of dollars should bot apply.

Key West Reader on May 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM

When will Romney endorse someone in California’s Senate race?

Couldn’t care less.

Kensington on May 7, 2010 at 10:55 PM

When is Romney going to make a California Senate endorsement? How about the 12th of never? This man doesn’t stand up and take a position unless it is safe. Trading him for Obama is no trade at all. Same type of decision making. We need a take charge kind of person. I don’t see that trait in Romney or Obama. In short–neither is a leader.

BetseyRoss on May 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM

The Ugly American on May 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Not if you look at the polling for the GOP Primary. The latest is a Survey USA poll taken in late April:
Campbell: 34%
Fiorina: 27%
DeVore: 14%

Source: realclearpolitics.com

bw222 on May 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Romney time and time again shows he is not a leader…a leader takes chances, sometimes even makes errors.
If you don’t make decisions, you don’t make mistakes…Romney is a wannabe, nothing more then VP material at best…

right2bright on May 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM

The only thing Romney endorses is golden monocle manufacturers.

Inanemergencydial on May 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Allow me to decipher your post….
Mitt is a wimp, and is afraid to lead…

right2bright on May 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Who cares what Mitt Romney thinks (other than AP). His book signing tour generated little interest. No Apology (which has been out two months) is #1,358 on Amazon.com, while Going Rogue, which has been out seven months and sold more than 2.5 million copies, is still at 308.

bw222 on May 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Romney’s too busy defending the wonderful Romneycare healthcare blueprint he devised for Massachusetts Obama to be drawn into Cali’s senate race.

chickasaw42 on May 7, 2010 at 11:07 PM

This video is great! The No Apology Song

The more people that hear this, the better. It’s not too late to wake up Americans so we can bring America back! Let’s spread this everywhere we can!

dnlchisholm on May 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM

It would be entirely inappropriate for him to weigh in on a republican primary.

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Flaming A-hole. are you for real? Mittens has already “weighed in” on a number of Republican promaries: McCain, Bennett, Whitman, Rubbio (after it became safe) ….

Do your parents know you’re on the Internet?

bw222 on May 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Pretty irrelevant question.

But to answer: after Sarah (like when he does everything).

rrpjr on May 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Mittens will do what his handlers tell him, when they tell him. That’s why he pays them the big bucks

james23 on May 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM

When will Romney endorse someone in California’s Senate race?

When results from a half dozen focus groups and polls have been fully analyzed. And when he undoubtedly picks the wrong candidate, he will refuse to admit it was a failure and blame everyone else.

Some leader.

Norwegian on May 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM

FlickeringBrainCells on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

AH, HAHAHAHAHA. I used to think that you were just one of Mittens’ many mistakes. NOw I am sure you were hired by the Plastic Man’s worst enemy.

james23 on May 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Well Allah you answered your own question. Unfortunately, I’m coming to the opinion that Romney is more of an opportunist than principled. The guy is just not in the game in any meaningful way.

KickandSwimMom on May 8, 2010 at 12:10 AM

FlickeringBrainCells on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Really? The how do you explain his endorsement of Bennett and Rubio?

takeamericabackin10 on May 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM

….and McCain.

takeamericabackin10 on May 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z.

KS Rex on May 8, 2010 at 12:34 AM

He emailed me to say he’s going to wait until the political winds shift for the sure bet..

Then he’ll endorse someone.

DaveC on May 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

You are hilarious. Who knew Mitty was “effectively the head of the republican party”. hehehehehehehehehe…. You have no idea what is happening around you.

When you are in a hole, stop digging.

PS: Are you paid for this stuff? I can’t believe somebody can believe the sort of stuff you seem to believe.

antisocial on May 8, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I’m sorry…

Did I miss it?

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on May 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I know everyone is already beating up on you, but yeah, not only did Sarah weigh in on Arizona’s new law she went to Arizona and took in a Diamondbacks game with Governor Brewer!

Photos here.

gary4205 on May 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Holy crap!

Seek help, you clearly should not be left unsupervised EVER. Electroshock therapy, plus psychotropic drugs may, just may, bring you back to reality, but who knows.

Mitt Romney isn’t even the head of Mitt Romney! In fact, there is no Mitt Romney…he is simply a figment of you imagination.

There has never been a human being who matters less, when it comes to serious conversation,than Mitt Romney .

gary4205 on May 8, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Present.

Daggett on May 8, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Are you even going to pretend that you are not a Romney shill anymore? Why don’t we call Hotair MittAir?

promachus on May 8, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Prudence” ??????????????????

What a spin…

Gohawgs on May 8, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Bring a bazooka to the knife fight.

Don’t know who that is yet, but Mitt’s not it.

NoDonkey on May 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Tell us how you feel and don’t hold back. BTW, You’re right.

Mr. Grump on May 8, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Who says Mitt Romney HAS to endorse anyone?

He didn’t endorse anyone in the NY-23 race and he certainly doesn’t have to endorse any of the Republicans who want to run against Boxer.

Besides, Romney seems focused on helping Meg Whitman win Sacramento.

Conservative Samizdat on May 8, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Perhaps he will jump in and support… Mickey Kaus against Babs.

I don’t agree with everything Mickey stands for…particularly in health care… but he is willing to call it as he sees it with union control of the Democratic Party and the amount it takes from Big Business being corrosive to the party. He is better than Babs, that’s for sure. But so is what washes up on the typical beach in CA.

ajacksonian on May 8, 2010 at 5:50 AM

I do recall Romney advocating for Meg Whitman a while ago. I think I recall some quote by Romney claiming that the reason he and wife were relocating to California (and so they did) was to get Whitman elected.

I don’t support Whitman due to her Progressive perspectives and I — at this point — really don’t care what her capabilities are as (another) attorney trained by Harvard Law (as is Romney).

Lourdes on May 8, 2010 at 6:05 AM

D’oh, sorry, just read headline much more closely…Senate race, not California Gubernatorial…

Lourdes on May 8, 2010 at 6:06 AM

gary4205 on May 8, 2010 at 1:26 AM

I think that user and others are just reflecting the CPAC2010 Straw Poll results, that’s all…same with the Ron Paul people as to Paul’s continued strong showing in similar polls (CPAC). And keep in mind that some supporters of both those (Romney and Paul) are as dedicated to theirs as you are to Palin.

Don’t jump on me, I’m just writing about what it looks like to me. I’m going to vote GOP this Fall and 2012, whoever the candidates are, but I do recognize that Romney continues to lead in fundraising for other GOP candidates, so I try not to disrespect the guy. He’s still a big influence in the party, so give him some due, at least.

Lourdes on May 8, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Why do all these people have to endorse people in other states anyway? Jeb Bush endorsed Rubio in Florida, I get that. He was the Governor there, but I fail to see why it is necessary to endorse people in every state. The locals make these decisions anyway.

Terrye on May 8, 2010 at 6:54 AM

Why do all these people have to endorse people in other states anyway?

They don’t and as I mentioned the other night on another thread, this “endorsement clause” in politics is relatively new, especially in primaries. In the past it was just a means for fund raising but the endorsement usually went hand in hand with a highly visual campaign appearance. And except for hardcore political pundits it doesn’t mean anything to voters. I would even guess to most people it comes across as form of meddling and does more harm then good.
Only Palin fanatics thinks this hurts Romney but the reality is it’s a better political move to stay out of it, most people could care less.

lowandslow on May 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Why do all these people have to endorse people in other states anyway?

Terrye on May 8, 2010 at 6:54 AM

To shape the Party they intend to lead.

Where the primary choices are clear the candidates for national leadership should at some point pick sides. Palin and Huckabee both make their positions clear to anyone listening.

Mitt’s a gutless phony. I wasted my vote on him in ’08. Never again.

rcl on May 8, 2010 at 8:09 AM

“Not Present.”

Romney is so much like Obama it’s funny.

AnninCA on May 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM

The wheels are still turning on this one. He takes more time to make a decision that Obummer.

Kissmygrits on May 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM

An easy call here, right?

It’s not very often you get it right when it comes to conservative politics, but you’re right here. The only caveat I would add is that Mitt is so damaged, it probably wont matter. He vacillates between RINO-ism and conservatism so much that the flip-flop label is probably permanently hung around his neck.

csdeven on May 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Ummm lessee, Sarah Palin only endorsed a candidate in the CA race day before YESTERDAY,for heaven’s sake, but the fact that Romney still hasn’t mere hours later is damning evidence that he’s being a cynical weasel?

Was Sarah Palin on Wednesday also just a slippery coward sticking her finger in the wind, wussily evading taking a decisive stand and ‘voting present’ under Allah’s ominously tagged headline “S I L E N C E” until… 48 hours ago?

And do some of the people here have even the slightest glimmer of awareness that they are themselves actively feeding just as many doubts about Ms. Palin’s own fitness for the Presidency as they do Mr. Romney’s when they loudly condemn him for the very same alleged disqualifying deficiencies that Sarah herself would have been found guilty of under their own ridiculously hypocritical criteria just a little while ago?

Wow! With friends like these, Sarah doesn’t really need enemies on the left, does she?

leilani on May 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Romney doesn’t need any Nuts-roots creds, not in California anyway. If he were to endorse any candidate it would be Fiorina. Chuch Devore has no chance to win.

Falz on May 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM

leilani on May 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM

You seem to be under the impression that most of those that comment here are serious people. If it was Romney that came out with a Fiorina endorsement two days ago and not Palin it would have been proof positive that Romney was out of touch and a flaming RINO unfit for public office. But Palin does it and it’s political genius, spotlighting her courage.
This is what passes for logic in Hot Air comment world.

lowandslow on May 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM

“exercising prudence to a fault”

In your handy Allahpundit-ese to English translation book that means “lacking political courage to take a stand” aka “leading by following” aka “putting your finger in the wind”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 8, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Romney is waiting to see which way the political winds are blowing before he announces his endorsement.

Romney is not about political convictions, but all about what is in it for him. Look at his endorsement of Rubio. It helped him more than it helped Rubio. Rubio had to cover his butt about Romneycare.

So look for Romney’s endorsement when he know who pulls ahead with a 20 point lead.

texasconserv on May 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I couldn’t give a rat’s a$$ what this man thinks.

He will never be my candidate. Period.

tickleddragon on May 8, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Well, anyway. Who cares?

He’d back Campbell is my guess.

AnninCA on May 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Romney=coward

Western_Civ on May 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM

This is what passes for logic in Hot Air comment world.

lowandslow on May 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Not really. It would’ve been met more with apathy. There’s just more interest in what Palin does compared to what Romney does. Deal with it.

ddrintn on May 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM

ddrintn on May 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Deal with what? I’m not arguing that Romney brings any passion or reverence to the political landscape. I’m making a point of the irrational logic of devote Palin supporters. Do you have any comment on that?

lowandslow on May 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

lowandslow on May 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

You mean the “irrationality” of Palin supporters not condemning her every move? Most Palin supporters can see the logic of this endorsement, even while not agreeing with it. You’re just upset that there ARE Palin supporters at all. That’s the ultimate “irrationality”.

ddrintn on May 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM

ddrintn on May 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Can’t you argue the point, ever? Why don’t you address what leilani wrote? Were all those people that are calling Romney a coward and gutless in this thread because he hasn’t endorsed anyone saying the same about Palin last Monday? Was Fiorina the great California hope for most these people last week? That’s the irrational posturing I’m talking about. Again, care to address that without bringing me or Romney into it?

lowandslow on May 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM

ddrintn on May 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM

LOL*

You rather nailed Romney’s problem, even in the last election.

Frankly, nobody cares.

AnninCA on May 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I honestly think Romney is nothing more than a poster child for the dying Polo Shirt crowd.

They haven’t managed to convince anyone that there’s real competence. I think they all got a break because they could play golf.

And they had “connections.”

He’s irritating to me and that group irritates me more.

AnninCA on May 8, 2010 at 11:42 AM

lowandslow on May 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I did, in the first two sentences. Anyway, YOU can’t argue the point without bringing Romney into it. “Why can’t they be as hard on Palin as they are on poor old Mitt?”

ddrintn on May 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Romney who?

Who cares if he endorses anyone or not?

With ObamaCare figuring front and center in the political battles to come, he’s about the weakest candidate the GOP could put forward. Can you imagine how decidedly unserious and laughable it will be for Mr. RomneyCare to run when folks are inflamed about getting rid of ObamaCare? What a gift to Democrats that would be.

No thanks.

Midas on May 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Romney is like the fading Polo shirt guy.

He’ll disappear by the next election.

Why anyone would still think he’s a contender is way beyond me.

AnninCA on May 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM

The perception of Sarah vs. Mitt as a focused leader vs. a cynical politician was not forged by the Fiorina endorsement by itself.

Let’s just look at this week’s major events. The Oil Spill, the AZ law and the bomb in NYC. On EVERY ISSUE Sarah’s stand was posted via Facebook, Fox and elsewhere almost immediately. No One Else is showing that kind of commitment to carrying the conservative banner on the national stage.

So was she a weaselly, gutless scoundrel on Wednesday? No, because we know her by all her actions to be a leader of the conservative movement today. Perhaps THE leader.

As for Mitt, he used to be my guy but the deafening silence from his camp as BHO torched the Constitution over the last year has convinced me he’s a weaselly gutless scoundrel on any day you want to pick. IMHO.

rcl on May 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Normally I wouldn’t ask…

Considering you’re one of the few people on the planet who GAS what that dog-abusing, big government, also-ran stiff has to say, why waste the bandwidth?

if 2012 turns into a race between the two of them…

Then you can a stick a fork in the GOP, and gird your loins for four more years of Obamanation (if the republic lasts that long).

Rae on May 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM

leilani on May 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Excellent post and your points were well raised. I agree.

And for those of you who dislike Romney have yet to come up with a good response to leilani.

You just hate Romney and will find any excuse to justify it.

Conservative Samizdat on May 8, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Mitt is pretty, but uninspiring. I get no sense of leadership from him. His biggest accomplishment, Romneycare, was the precursor to Obamacare. Gee, what a selling point. His train runs to the same place as Obama’s. He’ll just take a little longer to get there. Thanks, Mitt, but I don’t want to ride along.

SKYFOX on May 8, 2010 at 4:32 PM

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

This may be the most ignorant thing you have ever said on this site, and that is saying something.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM

FlickeringFlame on May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Meanwhile, Romney-endorsed Bob Bennett apparently has lost. Try again, genius.

ddrintn on May 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I don’t need anyone to tell me how to vote. While McClintock is a good guy in his own right, he has not shown good discernment in his endorsements.

Bill Simon and Ward Connerly, both solid CA conservatives, have lined up behind Tom Campbell. I don’t see much difference between Campbell and Fiorina other that Campbell is better fiscally and Fiorina has a more bubbly, connecting personality. Like Simon said, you go with the candidate needed for the times. Right now that is Campbell. Fiorina’s history is troublesome in that regard.

DeVore has made so many unforced errors I don’t know where to start.

For the record, Romney did not endorse anyone in the Hoffmann race. He believed as a Republican he should endorse Republicans and since the offered candidate was unacceptable he declined to endorse. That was the right decision IMO. As for Rubio, he sent Marco his top fundraising specialist early in his campaign. There was no way he was ever going to endorse Crist, ever, after the stunt Crist and McCain pulled in the primary that lost the state for Mitt.

Mitt will let the base battle it out to choose the candidate to oppose Boxer and support that candidate fully in the primary. Not a darn thing wrong with that.

mistythestripper on May 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Mittens is a follower, not a leader.

Sarah leads.