Report: Houston student suspended for taking down Mexican flag

posted at 11:36 am on May 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I have received a ton of e-mail asking me to follow up yesterday’s article about the suspension of students at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, California with another story of a student suspension in Houston, Texas.  In the first instance, students were suspended for refusing to remove clothing with American-flag themes on Cinco de Mayo, an obvious violation of their civil rights and a ridiculous request regardless.  In the Houston story, as reported by KTRH’s Michael Berry and linked at one point by Drudge, the circumstances are quite different — and somewhat misleading:

Yesterday, a listener’s son was offended that his school, Klein Collins High School, displayed the Mexican flag prominently.  His mother called to complain, and the school wouldn’t return her call.  The student took the sign down.

The school pitched a fit, reviewed the surveillance tapes, found the student, and suspended him for 3 days.  AND he has to pay for the flag.  In light of the SF story of students sent home for wearing the AMERICAN flag because it offended the Hispanic students, I thought you’d like to know about a story closer to home.

The problem with this report is that Berry used a picture with it that shows a Mexican flag flying above an upside-down American flag, but there’s no indication that’s what happened at this school.  That picture comes from an incident several years ago (exactly as shown on the Boss Emeritus’ site in March 2006) and not from Klein Collins.  Berry’s report only says that the school “displayed the Mexican flag prominently,” which could mean almost anything.  Was it on a flagpole at all?  Was it displayed on a wall in the cafeteria?

Without that incendiary picture, the reason for outrage becomes very muddled.  There’s nothing so wrong with displaying a Mexican flag on a school campus (as long as it doesn’t replace the American flag) that it requires student intervention.  Like it or not, students don’t make the rules at school, and the student in question had no business removing a school display without permission from the administration.  One can question whether a three-day suspension was warranted, but it’s difficult to argue with the application of disciplinary action.

In contrast, the students at Live Oak High School were disciplined for wearing clothing with an American-flag theme on the basis of its supposed offense to those celebrating a minor holiday honoring a foreign country.  It’s an outrageous action designed to punish personal political speech merely on the basis that it disagreed with the administration.   The two don’t really have any equivalency, at least not with the details reported at KTRH.

Update: Berry has updated the post to show the actual display of the flag — hanging from a railing over a corridor.  It wasn’t on a flagpole or flying over the American flag.  There may be valid reasons to object to this display (as expressed by many commenters below), but the student shouldn’t have taken it down himself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Please tell me what you think the word “many” implies, especially in relation to the amount of whatever else may be flown there.

PLEASE.

Ryan Anthony on May 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I said I had seen examples of many confederate flags at tea parties. I didn’t mention any percents or say that the they were in the majority. That’s what you implied. You, on the other hand, flatly stated that confederate flags were not being flown at tea parties.

Oh, so “many” actually means “not many”?

Well, yes, I did imply that. I’ve also provided numerous links to sets of photographs of major tea parties in Southern states where the Confederate flag is a common sight…and they’re not there.

So, no, they’re not being flown at tea parties. Providing two examples of two people at two tea parties out of hundreds across the nation does not prove your claim that “many” confederate flags were being flown at tea parties.

I don’t know why this has to be argued.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Because you’re an arrogant little punk who has made baseless statements like this before and you need to learn to have proof before you make statements. Are you learning yet, student? You need to chuck the attitude that student means anything, by the way. I graduated college, with a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Wisconsin. I’m still a student of history, of political science, and of many other topics, and I will continue to be a student for the rest of my life. Your enrollment in a school counts for a little less than jack s**t.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Why not? She’s obviously got me pegged as a subversive, its not that much of a stretch to suspect she’s forwarded my name to a committee on un-American activities…

ernesto on May 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Whether or not I agree with her, I’d never take her for the kind to let someone else take care of a subversive.

But really, you’ve got just as much hyperbole going for you here even with the historically inaccurate reference.

Esthier on May 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM

HornetSting on May 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Im beginning to realize that your arguments require me to agree with people like Janet Napolitano and the rest of the Dems. Without that, you can’t make a point at all.

ernesto on May 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM

And, your arguments remind me of obama….and his apology tour for being American all over the world…
I am proud of my country and it’s flag.
You just don’t care, Ernesto.

HornetSting on May 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM

The two refute your claim of “not confederate flags.” You need to stop lying about what you said. “Gadsen flags are being flown at tea parties, not confederate flags.” That is what you said. “Not confederate flags.”

And someone said I’m digging my self a hole…are you blind?

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Uh, no they don’t, no more than Nancy Pelosi’s claim of swastikas being at town hall meetings, if she actually saw one, prove me wrong when I say people aren’t holding up swastikas at town hall meetings. When events are widespread and involve thousands of people, a single incidence is the exception, not the rule.

Your claim that there were “many” confederate flags was a claim that it was the rule, not the exception, for there to be confederate flags at tea parties. You have not proven this. I have provided you with a wealth of evidence to disprove it. Here’s some more.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM

*Big Hug* Going shopping. Love each other.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I said I had seen examples of many confederate flags at tea parties.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM

And apparently you think many = two?

Esthier on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Oh, so “many” actually means “not many”?

So, no, they’re not being flown at tea parties.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM

No, moron, in means exactly what anyone smart enough to peel back a dictionary knows it does. I have seen many confederate flags and confederate apparel at tea parties. I’m not going to continue posting examples. I’ve already demonstrated that I have them, while you’ve become entangled in your own lies.

Moron, if somebody at a tea pary is flying a confederate flag, which we have established, then yes, confederate flags are flown at tea parties. Go back to school, stat.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Try as you might, I really don’t think he’s going to get that.

Ryan Anthony on May 7, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I’ve already demonstrated that I have them

No, you haven’t. You’ve demonstrated that Google has two of them.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

One person flying one flag doesn’t equal plural flags.

Esthier on May 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I have seen many confederate flags and confederate apparel at tea parties.

Right, that was the original claim you made. You haven’t proved it. Prove it or shut up.

I’m not going to continue posting examples.

Then you’re refusing to prove it. Then either retract your claim, or admit you were wrong it making it.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

No, you haven’t. You provided one YouTube video that you didn’t make, and one picture that you didn’t take, both of which do not prove “many” confederate flags were at tea parties, or even that “a few” flags were at tea parties.

I’ve provided you with dozens of pictures throughout the South without a single confederate flag flying in any of them, including photos I personally took of the event. If you haven’t the same, you really need to learn to stop using your anus to communicate with.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I said I had seen examples of many confederate flags at tea parties.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM
And apparently you think many = two?

Esthier on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Apparently nutaro see is double and triple…ask the little nutcup how many ‘patriots’ burned President Bush in effigy……

HornetSting on May 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Baseless? You imbecile. I don’t even think you know what the word means.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM

God, you’re clueless. It is a widespread event. Maybe you should have thought of that when you flat out stated that confederate flags were not flown at tea parties. You can’t try and play semantics all you want but you said what you said. If a swastika was at a town hall meeting, then a swastika was at a town hall meeting. It isn’t any more complicated than that. Just like if there is more than one example of confederage flags being flown at a tea party, then the statement that confederate flags are not flown is totally inaccurate.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Baseless? You imbecile. I don’t even think you know what the word means.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Baseless. Without base. Like saying that there were many confederate flags at tea parties without any evidence on which to base that statement.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, do I really have to teach you remedial English? If so, I want NEA pay scale.

You can’t try and play semantics all you want but you said what you said.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Okay, so when are you going to prove your claim about “many” confederate flags? No semantics, now.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Did Madison say “not flown” or “the exception?”

Brush up on your English skills.

Ryan Anthony on May 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM

you really need to learn to stop using your anus to communicate with.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Apparently that’s all you’ve been communicating with today. When are you going to admit to be wrong about confederate flags not being flown at tea parties? That was your claim. You pathetically tried to link that to the word “many,” which had absolutely nothing to do with that separate flatly stated statement. I’m waiting.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Did Madison say “not flown” or “the exception?”

Brush up on your English skills.

Ryan Anthony on May 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Can you read?

So, no, they’re not being flown at tea parties.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Ah, yes it did, as I said, and clarified.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM

It was, in fact, in direct reference to your statement. Which you haven’t proven.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:44 PM

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:44 PM

In no way does that correlate with “many.” Stop your lying. Again, “Gadsen flags are being flown at tea parties, not confederate flags.” You just repeated the assertion. If you meant what you’re claiming now, you would have talked about how confederate flags are in the minority, but you didn’t. You only started doing that after I showed evidence of them being flown at tea parties. Pathetic.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM

To me, that just looks like a statement that Tea Parties and Confederate flags don’t – without fail – appear alongside each other, or that they’re anything meriting a blip on the radar.

I can read. How about you?

Ryan Anthony on May 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Is Missouri considered the South?

Narutoboy, really, I need help. This confederate flag-finding business is drying up for me, and the government won’t give me another bailout! Help a brother out!

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I can read. How about you?

Ryan Anthony on May 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

“Blacks do not attend tea parties.” *shows picture of black tea party attendee* “Oh, no, no, no – I just meant that there are so few of them that they are of no significance.” Same excuse, just as pathetic. If you’re going to play the game of what people actually meant, even though they didn’t actually say it, I might as well join in too.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

No, because claiming that confederate flags are in the minority would have meant there’d be at least one confederate flag at major tea parties in the South. However, as I’ve proven in the dozens of pictures I’ve provided, there wasn’t even one.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM

How about Tallahassee? Is that considered the South?

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:55 PM

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Oh, so now we’re arguing whether or not they appeared in major tea parties. Question: Why didn’t you make these distinctions beforehand? Could it be because your making your argument up as you go along? There wasn’t one that you could see in those pictures. You don’t have the best track record spotting them though. This is what I’m talking about. You keep backing yourself into a corner and make these absolute statements.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM

By the way, one of the confederate flags that I saw was from a recent Cavuto broadcast.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Question: Why didn’t you make these distinctions beforehand?

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Because you made the distinction for the entire argument: many confederate flags at tea parties. You haven’t proved it. You apparently are unwilling to prove it. You’re deflecting and trying to shift the argument away from your baseless, unsubstantiated claim. I am providing you with lots and lots of pictures of tea parties throughout the South, just to give you a fighting chance, because it’s really unfair of me to use Madison as an example because Confederate flags are uncommon up here.

…and still, there’s nothing. All you have is a video of one confederate flag in Baton Rouge, and a miniature flag at an event that may or may not have been a tea party.

You made the claim. You haven’t proved it. Are you refusing to now do so? If so, let me know. Finding evidence for you to back up your claim with is hard work.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Oh good! You should have a link to the video then.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM

You’ve been trying to shift the argument constantly. It went from asking me to prove that there were confederate flags being flown at all to you focusing in on the word “many.” Many could be anything. I’ve already clarified and stated that I did not believe that they were in league with the number of American flags I’ve seen.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Uh….pardon the interruption, but there’s a new thread with a new case…this is becoming a pattern….
but, nothing to worry about./s

HornetSting on May 7, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Because you said “many”.

Many could be anything.

Dictionary.com:

man·y
   /ˈmɛni/ Show Spelled [men-ee] Show IPA adjective,more, most, noun, pronoun
–adjective
constituting or forming a large number; numerous: many people.
noting each one of a large number (usually fol. by a or an): For many a day it rained.
–noun
a large or considerable number of persons or things: A good many of the beggars were blind.
the many, the greater part of humankind.
–pronoun
many persons or things: Many of the beggars were blind. Many were unable to attend.

You have not provided any evidence that shows an amount of confederate flags at tea parties that meets any of these clear definitions.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Now, this is what we call “backtracking”. It usually goes over far better, and restores your credibility, if you work more towards “admission of error”.

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

You use a singular incident and then draw a generalization in this argument. Not a very persuasive position. So I wouldn’t be so free with the moron argument.

chemman on May 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Still waiting for you to prove this, jackass. Gadsden flags are being flown at tea parties, not confederate flags.

You said that at about 4:19, quoting my comment about there being confederate flags at tea parties. For some weird reason, you failed to highlight or even mention my use of the word “many.” Even more odd is the fact that this is the same sentence you responded to when you made your statement that there were no confederate flags flown at tea parties.

Two minutes later, I made this statement:
“Genius, if you don’t know that confederate flags are flown at tea parties, that isn’t my problem.”

Proving again the the “many” part wasn’t your focus, you made this response: “I’ve noticed it’s never your problem that others don’t know what you think you know. “I’m a student. Trust me.” Reality is going to hit you like a brick one day.”

At 4:44, I again reasserted my claim: “So I guess you’re done arguing that I can’t prove confederate flags were flown at tea parties?”

Then you responded and started questioning the credibility of my source. Not until an hour later did you begin latching on to the word “many.”

MadisonConservative on May 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Backtracking? Ummm, no. And this coming from the person who still maintains that “no confederate flags were flown at tea parties” after having acknowledged that confederate flags were flown at tea parties. You’re just sad.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Tea Party Patriots of Silicon Valley
invites you to a rally
Saturday in Morgan Hill
to Support the Patriotic Teens
Tea Party Patriots of Silicon Valley wants to let you know about a rally
this Saturday
May 8, 2010
9:30 am – 12:30 pm
3rd Street and Monterey Highway
downtown Morgan Hill
supporting the patriotic local teens
at Live Oak High School

xplodeit on May 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM

BAH! Take down that foreign flag. What the hell is wrong with these people? Good job young man. I pray a private school offers to grant you admission free of charge.

You think I’m joking? That is a bunch of crap. That flag means conquest to Mexicans. Conquest is the centerpiece of the aggressive aspect of their culture and history. The country is full of statues commemorating conquering heroes.

You know the best part? The best part is people in Mexico don’t really celebrate cinco de mayo with any foolishness. In fact you would probably get tossed in jail if you acted 1/4 the fool people up here do in celebration of liberation from one of those colonialist powers. France, Germany, Spain, there have been a few come over and take their turn with her.

pc on May 7, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Ed

Ed is absolutely right. Kid should have lit it on fire.

This flag is not part of some cultural exhibit on the history of Mexico or the historical significance of Cinco de Mayo (of which there is little). It’s a LaRaza-sucking racial panderfest, and nothing less.

Jaibones on May 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Being suspended—————————————-

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NUTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on May 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I’d be sure to desecrate the mexican flag with every bodily effluence, every single day from this moment on if I were in this situation.

Inanemergencydial on May 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Oh, so now we’re arguing whether or not they appeared in major tea parties.

Seems you claimed they did. Now you refuse to back up your statement. Wonder why that is?

Also, you claim to have been to “many” tea parties. List them. Town, location, date, and time.

Bet you can’t do that either.

northdallasthirty on May 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM

1. Even if some were flown so?

2. Prove they were actually supporters of the tea party movement.

3. I think this argument is a red herring . Why help the enemy boy?

CWforFreedom on May 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM

The solution is to take your kids out of the public schools. There are plenty of resources on-line that your kid will learn just as much from that. No reason to send them to a hostile environment.

The Dean on May 8, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Never bring tea an crumpets to a sword fight.

MB4 on May 8, 2010 at 12:14 AM

In times of change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. If his cause succeeds, however, the timid will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on May 8, 2010 at 12:17 AM

If the Mexican flag were one of a display of all national flags which have contributed legal immigrants to America, it would be fine.

But I see only the Mexican flag.

Were there others?

If not, take it down.

profitsbeard on May 8, 2010 at 12:18 AM

There may have been valid reasons to throw all that tea in the water, but the Bostonians shouldn’t have done it all by themselves.

MB4 on May 8, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010

Gee whiz. We don’t fly our Confederate flags at TEA Parties … we fly’em at home. There are so many out there that were brought up through public education, we don’t often have the time to educate those that don’t know about the Confederate states, the Confederate flag, ya da, ya da ….

Also, it’s quite easy for even a half wit to observe that the MSM (Marxists) will use the display of such a flag to create propaganda and sway opinion of the uneducated masses (of sheep).

So we leave our Confederate flags at home, and take our Gadsden flags to the TEA Parties.

AZ_Redneck on May 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM

pc on May 7, 2010 at 9:31 PM

They are not the only ones with this mind set

MB4 on May 8, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Kid should have lit it on fire.

Jaibones on May 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM

AZ_Redneck on May 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Go back to school, stat.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

You are calling someone a moron, after a sentence like that?

Johan Klaus on May 8, 2010 at 1:14 AM

AZ_Redneck on May 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Redneck wants to “educate” masses about the confederacy. Classic.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 1:32 AM

1. Even if some were flown so?

2. Prove they were actually supporters of the tea party movement.

3. I think this argument is a red herring . Why help the enemy boy?

CWforFreedom on May 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Read the Redneck’s comment up above. You can stop arguing now.

If they were flown so? If they are being flown you should be ashamed that your movement is infested with filthy confederate nuts, that’s why. I help the cause by not supporting the confederacy and by not making excuses for the people that do. Those conservatives are an embarrassment. Take your moonshine, your confederate trash, and your dead, disgraced ancestors and join the Democrats or the AIP.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 1:35 AM

You worthless bigot.

Not shocking that a bigot makes blanket statements with no evidence to back them up.

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2010 at 1:44 AM

You worthless bigot.

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Those wounds from being exposed for the liar you are still healing?

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Those wounds from being exposed for the liar you are still healing?

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Go back to school, stat.

Narutoboy on May 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

You are calling someone a moron, after a sentence sentences like that?

Johan Klaus on May 8, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Johan Klaus on May 8, 2010 at 2:20 AM

You are calling someone a moron, after a sentence sentences like that?

Johan Klaus on May 8, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Johan Klaus on May 8, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Wow, I actually typed “n” instead of “t.” You sure got me.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 2:25 AM

My great grandparents came here from Germany. I remember my mother telling me stories of my grandmother coming home from school, and more important than doing the chores were the English lessons she had learned that day, which she faithfully repeated to her mother so they could learn to speak “American” together. They had become citizens of a foreign land, but they loved that land, and with every fiber of their being they worked to become a part of her, to contribute to her well being, to assume the responsibilities that go hand in hand with the rights that American citizenship granted to them. Many immigrants today share that same ideal, that same work ethic, that same desire to be a part of the tapestry that is America. But many do not. It’s time to isolate those who denigrate that beautiful tapestry, who seek only to replace it with a cloth of their own design, their own culture, their own morality. This is America, learn our language so the child of someone who did learn English does not have to give up an AP Chemistry class so we can have one more ESL class. This is America, respect the rights of the people who came here before you and built safe neighborhoods, thriving communities. This is America, honor the country of your birth with respect for her culture and traditions, but give your allegiance now to this beautiful America, or please just go back where you came from.

oldoldbabs on May 8, 2010 at 2:51 AM

Awesome smackdown (wait for Gabriella’s speech):

Lockstein13 on May 8, 2010 at 4:01 AM

If the flag wasn’t flying out of spec with the American and State flags, too high etc., then leave it if you have that Nationality in the school.

johnnyU on May 8, 2010 at 5:37 AM

I salute the student who took down the Mexican flag on school property.

An individual kid who has the Mexican flag on his locker is one thing; that should not be touched. But the school is a different thing.

Ask yourself: if the school could not lead in a Christian prayer, why should it display a foreign flag?

Phil Byler on May 8, 2010 at 6:43 AM

It is a public school under the federal government no other flag is suppose to fly other than an american flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless it is private property.

But, the flag code is a bit ambiguous on this.

xler8bmw on May 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Kids come home from school being taught that capitalism is evil. They come home being taught that America was founded on racism and violence. They come home being taught that conservatism is immoral. They come home being taught revisionist, liberal crap.

But I should be outraged that a kid took down a Mexican flag hanging prominently at a taxpayer-funded school. I’d rather watch chicken defrost.

amerpundit on May 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I work as a para in a middle school, and everything you said is absolutely TRUE and then some. You would not believe what goes on in a typical social studies or ‘language arts’ class. What others said about leftists running schools is correct also.

lizzee on May 8, 2010 at 8:02 AM

There is no place in a public school for the flag of mexico aside from perhaps a history class.

TAKE. IT. DOWN.

I salute the young man! God bless America!

gdonovan on May 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM

The last time I checked, this is the United States of America. Mexican flags and Mexican holidays have no place on public property here.

Vashta.Nerada on May 8, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 1:35 AM

You worthless bigot.

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Narutoboy- you are a POS.

CWforFreedom on May 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM

but the student shouldn’t have taken it down himself.

Then who is to do it when the school refuses? This was most certainly an inappropraie display. Once again, it makes clear where the loyalties of Hispanics lie.

drjohn on May 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM

You can’t pull this crap in Mexico. I for one am getting tired of being told that we all need to be tolerant when there is zero reciprocity. Mexicans are coming here to establish their own societies. They are not coming to meld into the social fabric of the US. They, like Muslims, are coming here to remake this country- to take advantage of all of the benefits and freedoms but not the responsibilities of American citizenship.

It’s time you woke up, Ed.

It’s not different from what’s happening in Minnesota, especially the Somalis. They come, but they come to demand things be according to their rules and not the existing rules.

drjohn on May 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Yikes. Look at this thread! Having fun are we??

Looks like some people have no lives outside of calling faceless people names on a blog all night long.

I guess screaming at your monitor throughout the night beats sleeping alone.

Rod on May 8, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Both of my parents were naturalized citizens. My father was a WWII combat vet. They saw themselves as AMERICANS and Americans only.

This crap

makes me want to puke. These aren’t people interested in being Americans. My parents had pride in who they were as well but they would never ever fly anything other than the flag of THIS country.

drjohn on May 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Narutoboy- you are a POS.

CWforFreedom on May 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Looks like it finally burned out and crashed after a full day of spitting its voracious hate…I didn’t bother to report how he said Conservatives should be exterminated, nor the other racist nonsense he lobbed at longstanding members. I prefer to keep it around like a pet rock–as an abomination that’s testament to the vile, diseased, twisted, misery-breathing, unhinged, mentally-unbalanced soul that is the standard of HA trolldom.

Well done, lad. Well done.

RepubChica on May 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Take that trash down. NO flag s/b given prominence in our country when under seige by that very country. Just in case it isn’t clear, these 4 are starters for their own reasons.

Mexico
China
Russia
Iran

moyeti on May 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Equality for all. The left demand it but do not enforce it.

What is a body to do? Seems simple to me.

Sort the entire Student body database, by declared nationality. For example, if they describe themselves as hyphenated or naturalized (e.g Asian-American use the Asian country of their parents Korea, Chinese, Japanese, etc. and U.S). If they claim a Hispanic display the country (Mexico, Spain, etc. and include them as U.S. for legal citizens, or only the country if not yet legal). If they claim Pacific Islander (the nationality of the island country declared, Hawaii has two options the State flag for a full blooded Hawaiian, the American flag, or the nationality of their heritage Japanese, Chinese, etc.). For naturalized citizens the country of birth and U.S.

For duplicate entries, for example 20% declare themselves U.S. citizen increase the U.S. flag by 20%. Likewise, if a group of the student body declare themselves Korean then increase the size of the Korean flag accordinly.

Then you will see the reality of a schools composition and I would venture the guess that the American flag would be the flag of prominence. But, you would also increase their understanding of diversity and but would still have the understanding that they are after all American.

MSGTAS on May 8, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Narutoboy- you are a POS.

CWforFreedom on May 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Correction: Confederates and their supporters are POS. Easy mistake to make.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM

The kid who took the Mexican flag down was ROTC. His objection was the flag was higher then any US flag hanging in the school. His mom called the school and the kid made an effort to speak to the principle. One good thing came from this. On the school’s website, they have stated no *FOREIGN* flag will ever again be displayed higher then the US flag. The ROTC kid was offended by the flag protocols not used by the school.

elclynn on May 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Correction: Confederates and their supporters are POS. Easy mistake to make.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Good comeback bigot.

CWforFreedom on May 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Narutoboy -it is clear . You are a simpleton. Your thought process is not capable of being complex. Ramble on boy.

CWforFreedom on May 8, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Good comeback bigot.

CWforFreedom on May 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM

You have the mentality of a toddler, you moron. “Good comeback.” This isn’t the playground, sweetheart. And if you think calling someone a “POS” is complex, you’re sadly mistaken.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 3:43 PM

This isn’t the playground, sweetheart.
Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Lucky for you, huh?

It is obvious some rednecks beat the sh1t out of you growing up so now it is anonymous payback time with all the japanimation-loving, nerd rage you can muster.

ClassicCon on May 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Do you want to why all the fuss…?

… Because THIS has been taught for the past forty years.

Seven Percent Solution on May 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Lucky for you, huh?

ClassicCon on May 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Please. You morons would have to stop beating your wives before you could come after me. I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Do you want to why all the fuss…?

… Because THIS has been taught for the past forty years.

Seven Percent Solution on May 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Absolutely or how about this UCLA Communist professor calling for a Mexican Revolution.
Defend this liberal trolls.

redridinghood on May 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Narutoboy, it should be evident you are simply not believed here. You can make all the claims you want, but everyone is just going to laugh at you unless you have overwhelming evidence. So it’s basically a put up or shut up scenario.

ray on May 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM

ray on May 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Erm. What specifically are you talking about, ray?

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Erm. What specifically are you talking about, ray?

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I think he’s talking about you claiming many confederate flags at tea parties, which you’ve provided neither overwhelming, nor sufficient, nor reasonable, nor even measly evidence for.

I understand your confusion. You did say you’re not going to make any further attempts to prove your baseless statement, right?

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I thought you had slithered away for good. Guess not. Your talking points have already been shot down; find something new to say. And while you are at, come clean about your lie, that “confederate flags were not flown at the tea parties.” Your words.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Your talking points have already been shot down; find something new to say.

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I love it when liberals refer to lies they’ve told as others’ “talking points”.

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I love it when liberals refer to lies they’ve told as others’ “talking points”.

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM

So that’s a “no” on addressing that blatant lie you told?

Narutoboy on May 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Why are they here if they prefer Mexico?

Stephanie on May 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Money, and entitlements.

capejasmine on May 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Here’s a new idea for you. Let’s take away those entitlements and see if that theory holds water.

your_worst_enemy on May 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I believe it was Lord Byron who described the spoken Spanish language thusly:

“…that sweet bastard latin; that falls like kisses from the lips of a beautiful woman.”

Doorgunner on May 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM

He should have set it on fire, that is his expression of his free speech.

thomasaur on May 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Has anyone reported who put the flag up? A student? The school? A teacher?

aritai on May 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Ugh. Yet another sideshow for both the Left and the Right to take to their respective swooning couches for the Thing to Be Outraged About Today.

Unemployment is at 10%.

We have a massive deficit.

There’s a geyser of oil that hasn’t been contained in the Gulf.

The Supreme Court is about to be changed by a new nominee.

And people are in a lathered-up, Olbermann-sized tizzy over some high school sophomore getting a day off for taking down a Mexican flag hanging over a cafeteria?

Get a freakin’ GRIP or down a fistful of Midols, girlie!
Really – these theatrics are like some kind of teenage drama pageant. The priorities are bass-ackwards.

DarthBrooks on May 9, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Good for the student. The young people in America have had enough. Quit cramming your diversity down our throats. Quit cramming illegal immigration down our throats. Quit cramming socialism down our throats. Quit cramming every form of love for other cultures and hatred for our own down our throats. Only so much can be tolerated…and we’re almost at the breaking point…

TheAudacityofNOPE on May 9, 2010 at 2:53 AM

... and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under siege with liberty and justice for some.

kregg on May 9, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Why can’t they show real patriotism and carry that flag back to the land they love? And stay there.

Go to another nation’s classrooms and ask how many would die for their nation, country and even RACE. As I pointed out earlier, the UN does this stuff and keeps it quiet.

We need to send our left media and academics to the developing world to tell them about the evils of nationalism.

IlikedAUH2O on May 9, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Defend this liberal trolls.

redridinghood on May 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM

It’s from 2007, by the way.

Ed Morrissey on May 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Schools are not the United Nations. There is no need for any country flag to be on display other than the US flag.

Wade on May 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

It’s from 2007, by the way.

Ed Morrissey on May 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Jim Hoft has added an update and confirms this, but this is still extremely disturbing. Evidently this is a HS history teacher which is even scarier.

redridinghood on May 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM