Video: “Cinco de Mayo not the day for patriotism”; Update: Laura Ingraham interviews the parents

posted at 12:15 pm on May 6, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

In the suburbs of Silicon Valley, not far away from San Francisco Bay, there are apparently particular days for patriotism, at least according to one high school in Morgan Hill. On Cinco de Mayo, several students decided to wear clothing with American flag designs to make a statement about their own views on heritage — including one Hispanic student. Teachers demanded that they either turn their shirts inside out and remove all other American flag-themed clothing or face suspension for “defiance.” Their parents are outraged:

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal’s office.

“They said we could wear it on any other day,” Daniel Galli said, “but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it’s supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today.”

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts “incendiary” that would lead to fights on campus.

Incendiary? Since when is it incendiary to express patriotism for one’s own country? This is absurd, as are the demands for apologies from these students for offending those who observed Cinco de Mayo. One expression of celebration doesn’t interfere with another, however, as should have been obvious at the campus before the teachers got involved at all. If students want to “express themselves” by celebrating Cinco de Mayo, then they should be prepared to allow others to express themselves as well. Instead, they want the public expression monopoly at their high school — and the administration was stupid enough to concede it to them.

Zombie also notes the ridiculous political correctness of the complaint, via the Boss Emeritus:

NBC quotes a fellow student:

“I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day,” Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. “We don’t deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn’t do that on Fourth of July.”

Disrespected? I’m confused. Aren’t all the students Americans? Who is being disrespected by the display of our shared national flag?

Of course, school is usually out on the Fourth of July, even summer school. Maybe St. Patrick’s Day would be a better analog. Would I, as an American of Irish descent, get offended by an American flag on March 17th? Er, no. I wouldn’t even get offended by someone wearing Mexican-flag themed clothing. In fact, I wouldn’t care at all.

Apparently, Live Oak High School specializes in victimology and political correctness. Maybe they should teach civics at Live Oak … to the teachers and administrators.

Update: Laura Ingraham conducted a lengthy interview with the parents of the suspended students. Be sure to listen to it all:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Kwanzaa? Who knew?

Left Coast Right Mind on May 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Suspend the student?

Nay! Suspend the the school itself!

The school ain`t dope but dope heads.

Besides, can they suspend students for wearing stuff with the US flag on it? Legal?

Theoretically, that dumb kid with her stupid reasoning against American flags on Cinco de Mayo still expects to wear her La Raza stuff whenevah. Yeah even on the Fourth of July. In this country, my child, one may wear just about anything on any given Sunday. Okay?

Freedom of speech applies to all and the country that gives you that freedom of speech is where you live: the USA.

Guess neither teachers nor students know much about Civics
anymo.

Dumbed down to a fine point. Otherwise how did Obummer get elected?

Sherman1864 on May 6, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Cinco De Mayo is not even a Mexican holiday. It marks the defeat of the French in a battle in Mexico, but they don’t celebrate it. It was created by a BEER COMPANY as another reason to sell more beer.

What idiots.

PastorJon on May 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM

If you see some kid walking down the street with a bandanna around his head, or worse, hangning [sic] from his or her back pocket you might be dealing with a gangster, hang-around, baby-g or wannabe.

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

So, you judge people by the clothes they wear? Awesome.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM

So, you judge people by the clothes they wear? Awesome.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM

What a moronic statement.

If I were to walk up to you wearing a Che t-shirt, you’d judge me far differently than if I were wearing a t-shirt with a right-wing slogan.

Clothes do indeed make the man (or woman). And sometimes judging by clothing is a good idea – on my youth inner-city missions trip, a veteran police officer was brought in to give us “Gangster Wear 101″. We were warned that ignoring him and his stern advice could mean serious physical danger.

Dark-Star on May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Dark-Star on May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Who the hell are you to tell me how I would and would not act? Get over yourself.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Who the hell are you to tell me how I would and would not act?

Left Coast Right Mind on May 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Someone who isn’t in denial about human nature.

Mankind judges by appearances. That means you, me, and everyone with a brain and a pulse. Get. over. it.

Dark-Star on May 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM

This is precisely why we have reserved the right to rebel by means of speech against the tyranny of those who would deny the modest expression of our sons and daughters under the First Amendment and have enshrined the ability to assert that unalienable right in our Second Amendment. These petty government officials must be deposed without delay.

Scribbler on May 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM

capejasmine on May 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM

It’s my understanding that it’s proper etiquette to render respect to another nation’s anthem by standing.

Although I was made to stand for the Black National anthem a couple of times and that made me scratch my head. “Where is ‘Black’ located on the world map? Is that near Timbuktu or Nepal?”

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM

To Mexicans in America, Cinco de Mayo means, “Our country, Mexico, sucks so we want to make America more like Mexico”.

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Why do we give a hoot in a rainbarrel about a Mexican holiday that isn’t even celebrated in Mexico? I guess wearing an American flag shirt would be an atrocity on St. Patricks day as well.

Good Lord. How stupid can you get?

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM

? Today’s media is reporting that by last night, the CA (begging to be bailed-out) District Administration, school principal and vice-principal, students and parents met at which point the administration backed the patriotic clothing after all, not stating what penalty the vice-principal would face.

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Misery loves company, you know.

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Do they fly the American flag at Live Oak High School and if so, do they take it down for Cinco de Mayo?

Speechlesstx on May 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM

The entire point is, celebrate being American, protecting our Constitution as our central point of unification.

As for being Mexican, Joel Roberts Poinsett held captive in Texas, U.S. minister to Mexico in 1824 — offered a harsh assessment of PRESIDENT General Santa Anna’s situation after the Battle of San Jacinto, having returned to Mexico City to be stripped of office, the peace declared null and void.

Poinsett:

Say to General Santa Anna that when I remember how ardent an advocate he was of liberty ten years ago, I have no sympathy for him now, that he has gotten what he deserves.

To this message, Santa Anna made the reply:

Say to Mr. Poinsett that it is very true that I threw up my cap for liberty with great ardor, and perfect sincerity, but very soon found the folly of it. A hundred years to come my people will not be fit for liberty. They do not know what it is, unenlightened as they are, and under the influence of a Catholic clergy, a despotism is the proper government for them, but there is no reason why it should not be a wise and virtuous one.

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Detroit.

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Those of you who don’t have small children might not realize this, but it is Asian American Pacific Heritage month (I kid you not). Does this mean our kids cannot wear the flag in May. Or does this mean the hispanic kids now cannot wear their flags during the month. Can kids of asian heritage be slammed for wearing anything from their culture?

Let the cluster fark begin.

Laura in Maryland on May 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM

They used wiggle words that they think will get them around this. They gave the kids an option to reverse the shirts and by “not following the request of a school official” these kids were considered “defiant”. They would be suspended for “defiance” not what they wore. They gave the parents an option to remove them for the school or go back to class based on the school administrators requests.

Still pathetic and sickening. Says more about the fact that Mexican-AMERICANS feel MORE Mexican than American and that they find the American flag offensive enough to cause them to contemplate acting violent, per the school administrations cited concerns. It’s obvious the school has done a poor job in teaching Mexican Americans their American heritage, and the respectable character traits of tolerance and self-control. Department of Education and Teacher’s Unions=Epic Fail.

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Dark-Star on May 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Silly me trying to get to know people and the contents of their characters, when all along I should just look at what they look like or what they’re wearing.

You’re my new hero.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

No, sir, unless you’re 2nd and 3rd place at the Olympic podium accepting medals. That’s politically correct, not “proper” etiquette to simply stand up in public for another nation’s anthem. Do it only if you want to. But “proper” means your own allegiance, not to another. This isn’t “when in Rome” when we’re in the USA.

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM

“Where is ‘Black’ located on the world map? Is that near Timbuktu or Nepal?”
Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Detroit.
saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Somalia.

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Make that all of Latin America. Even Costa Rica is full of thieves. They call them “Ladronies”. If it were’nt for all the gringos and their security, even Costa Rica would be chaos just like the other countries down there. I blame the language because it has no accomodation for personal responsibility.

You can’t say “I dropped the glass” you say “the glass slipped out of my hand”. You can’t say “I missed the plane”, you say “the plane left without me”.

I believe this Spanish language shortcoming penetrates the psycology of those countries and makes them un-governable.

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I’ll join the chorus against the anti-American public education administration targeting pro-American Hispanic students wearing red, white and blue. Not part of the authoritarian rainbow-coalition determined GREEN, red and white the only suitable colors.

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM

0_o Are you serious? That’s not just meaning lost in translation? Sounds a wee bit suspicious…although I certainly won’t vouch for L.A. residents being the poor widdle hard working martyrs they’re painted to be. (my anectodal evidence suggests exactly the opposite, btw, in addition to breeding like rabbits. thank the cat-lick church and USA welfare for that.)

Dark-Star on May 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Outrageous.

Terrye on May 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM

The passive voice is much more common in Spanish than English, and it has nothing whatever to do with the difference in culture. The United States was founded by Enlightenment thinkers steeped in the traditions of the British parliamentary system and well versed in Greek and Roman philosophy as well as Lockean natural law theory. Central and South America were not.

Ted Torgerson on May 6, 2010 at 4:46 PM

simple. sue the school and the principle that did this. It wil lbe an open and shut case.

Niteowl45 on May 6, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I’ve been to two different Mexican resorts for Cinco de Mayo in two different years. Both times I expected the celebrations to be “over the top”, filled with fun, Mexican party music, and mucho frivolity.

It was none of that. In both resorts it was one big yawner of a day and night. Instead of fiesta, it was a very dull siesta.

Cinco de Mayo to me is clearly as bogus as kwanzaa, this one a marketing ploy by alcoholic beverage companies to sell more booze.

We saw not one hint of Mexican pride or natialism on display on Cinco de Mayo while in Mexico on that supposed holiday.

But that doesn’t stop the douchebaggers in that school from sending 5 students home from school for proudly displaying one of the great symbols of American pride. I say to any Mexican offended by such, you are certainly free to go back to your homeland.

Sweet_Thang on May 6, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I’m wearing an American flag in some way, shape or form every May 5 from this point forward.

D2Boston on May 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Cinco De Mayo is NOT a holiday idiot liberals.

Lisa on May 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM

“America: Love It or Leave It.”

ReagansRight on May 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Every day in this country is a day to show our patriotism.

Blake on May 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM

This is what a society looks like when it’s committing suicide. Take a good long look.

Just imagine what many of the Mexican population will behave like in 10 or 20 years with citizenship and huge numbers. They already behave as if we are illegal in their country.

Django on May 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I applaud the parents. No apology, not ever. No one should EVER apologize for loving their country, especially while IN their country.

Mad Mad Monica on May 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Ted Torgerson on May 6, 2010 at 4:46 PM

All these romance languages use the subjunctive tense.
That is why English is preferable. We’re direct.

Blake on May 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Can kids of asian heritage be slammed for wearing anything from their culture?

Laura in Maryland on May 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Nope, nobody cares about the Asian-Americans. They’re too well behaved. They need to start rioting in the streets and threatening violence whenever something happens that they don’t like. Then they’ll be kowtowed to by the powers that be, just like the other “aggrieved” minority groups that have learned how to successfully manipulate our spineless politicians.

AZCoyote on May 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM

For anyone in the area, there is a rally this Saturday, May 8, from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM in Morgan Hill to support the teens. It’s a regularly-scheduled small tea party rally of local stalwarts, but this week seems a good time to make it huge! Intersection of 3d St. and Monterey Highway, in downtown Morgan Hill. Flags welcome, and, no doubt, appreciated.

BananaSlug on May 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM

D2Boston on May 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Great idea! I’ll certainly do the same.

ReagansRight on May 6, 2010 at 5:06 PM

You’re my new hero.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

This is really more in reference to snap judgments made while walking down the street. You can’t tell me that you wouldn’t be somewhat concerned if a gaggle tattooed 20 something dudes with baggy pants and a particular color scheme came marching up to you

You can’t tell me that if you were giving a job interview and someone showed up in sweatpants you’d not be a bit put off.

Clothes are a means of visual communication with other people, whether you like it or not. The signals can be misinterpreted, but more often than not they’re dead on.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM

The kids should have called out the racist principal for what he is and announced, loudly so all the mexican students could hear, “this racist thinks hispanics are so unstable they can’t be trusted to view an American flag without rioting”.

agmartin on May 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM

If I were the parent’s, I’d sue the school into bankruptcy.

Dave R. on May 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Careful about the size of the brush you’re painting with. At least one of the kids wearing the U.S. flag in that school was Hispanic. And there are plenty of Latinos wearing the flag every day in the armed forces.

I place the blame on the spineless PC school administrators, who have clearly bought in to the stereotype of Latinos as hot-headed violent gang members.

hawksruleva on May 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM

This is sickening. Political correctness will ruin has ruined this great nation.

Neuron on May 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Gang-of-One on May 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Lleve su día Norteamericano de bandera!

— Translation —

Wear your American flag day!

ReagansRight on May 6, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Those damn Europeans and their drama…

Onus on May 6, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Burn the Mexican flag in a 55 gallon barrel. Smells like burnt baby crap, and keeps the mosquitos away.

Cybergeezer on May 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Let see :

Expect the government to spend wisely. You are crazy and racist

Expect the government to protect the border. Well you know.

Be patriotic in the USA. …. same.

This is insanity.

CWforFreedom on May 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM

My Spanish is Rosetta Stone at best, having grown up in the Southwest studying German instead.

Our Hispanic American citizens in the military do a great load of the finest combat under the heaviest odds, for certain. And members of the Native American Tribes not affiliated with Mexico are some of the most genteel people I’ve known. I had a Blackfoot foster brother, and a Navajo foster sister. Even the Apache have their honor code, not killing those pioneers respectful of them, including enough respect to share a meal at the campfire when approached by the Apache Kid being chased by the US Cavalry, or to hide out when the Apache Kid or Geronimo were on the war path.

But Mexico is another ball of wax all together, different tribes, dominated by Spanish monarchs that gave the tribes no treaties or recognition, and dominated by the Roman Catholic Church during their own effort to reinstate their aggrandized Holy Roman Empire to own all souls, exploiting the poor populations as an “education”. At least France negotiated with North American tribes in good faith. And Britain did it’s treaty so-long-as-convenient routine.

The Spanish “aristocratic” descendants in Mexico (and Texas) don’t mix blood, and coincidentally have great sense of propriety and responsibility. Peasants in Spain aside, the Spanish language spoken in Mexico doesn’t equate to high Spanish spoken in Spain, or so I’ve been told.

“Language, Culture, Borders” would likely support your point.

Perhaps with the imprecise language phraseology, it’s Mexico’s native tribal cultural obsessions vs. European that makes the distinction. Objectively, Mexicans are the mix, neither native tribal nor pseudo-aristocratic, the native tribes being eschewed by the descendants of Europeans populating and traditionally governing Latin America.

As a language, do Spanish expressions benefit Marxism, I wonder? The native tribes in Mexico and Latin America, exploited and persecuted as they have been these many centuries, have done as the ignorant peasants around the world, and been conned into Marxism “for their own good”. AS IF any Marxist regime anywhere has not murdered and slaughtered its citizens, the poor (native tribes) always deemed undesirables, threatened even by their own once in power.

Historically, Mexico is a nation that only periodically enjoys a brief respite from revolutionary bloodletting making the news. God only knows it’s nonstop these past decades in tribal communities being wiped out by the Mexican Army, if not by organized crime, the two intertwined.

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM

saiga on May 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Did they take down the American Flag in front of the school too? It would only follow, right?

BVM on May 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Who can blame the Mexicans. They see America fellate Islam like there was no tomorrow and they naturally want a piece of that domination thing too.

Show La Raza the respect you show Islam, maybe they won’t hurt you.

BL@KBIRD on May 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Well generally speaking at a multinational event that features the U.S. and foreign anthems, it is polite to stand and show respect. The U.S. flag doesn’t go above or below any other flag. Soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen salute superior officers of foreign nations.

It’s all about showing respect, not subservience.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 5:52 PM

OT but third SEAL found not guilty. Justice prevails!!!

ProfessorMiao on May 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Does anyone know “the race” of the vice principle who aske them to remove the American flags…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Should the parents ever sue the school district I hope their attorney asks that ass. principal, Rodrigues, if the USA Flag was flying from the flag pole in front of the school- as it’s suppose to be flying, everyday, due to it being a Public School. I’m pretty sure that they didn’t fly Mexico’s flag. So, its ok for the school to fly the flag but not for the students to wear the USA flag t-shirts?

centre on May 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM

maverick muse on May 6, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Anymore than the English spoken in Mississippi, Brooklyn or Illinois equates to the “high” English spoken in London England. Spanish dialects vary as much across Mexico and the rest of Latin America as English ones do across North America.

I’m not sure what your point is. The Spanish conquest of Mexico was the conquest of one empire (the Aztec) by another, and so was a very different situation from the one in North America. In fact, it would not have been nearly as easy or happened as quickly as it did had it not been for the hatred many native Mexican groups had for the Aztecs who in some instances were their much loathed subjugators and in others their despised enemies. The Spanish, having arrived with a force of 500, were able to march on the Aztec capital with a force in the tens of thousands, most of whom, obviously, were also “Mexicans”. Most of Mexico before the conquest was already a land of cities, of dense urban populations that were already putting pressure on the agricultural lands available. There were no vast minimally or unexploited tracts of land that were farmable using 16th century Spanish agricultural technology.

Sorry, I go on too much…

ProfessorMiao on May 6, 2010 at 6:30 PM

This was my high school. I am disgusted.

Geronimo on May 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Sinko de America.

profitsbeard on May 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Have any Hispanic students been asked to remove MEXICAN FLAGS adorning their clothing ON EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR?

……………….crickets chirping………………

And these ADULTS are in charge of EDUCATION!

GarandFan on May 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM

O/T
All illegals
move out of AZ
and come to SF
and the boycott is on baby ;-)

macncheez on May 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM

BVM on May 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM

If we had to lower our flag every day that someone wanted to celebrate a French defeat we’d never see it again.

I do have to admit though that any day that Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture is played is a good day.

pedestrian on May 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Where’s the ‘wisdom’ of our favorite law student, crr6? I’m sure she’ll be along to tell us how wrong the principal was in trambling these kids’ rights….

Odd. She’s a no-show on this thread.

Grace_is_sufficient on May 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Boycott Corona (it sucks anyway)

Fatal on May 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM

messican, like 40% of the school

xplodeit on May 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Sooo, I guess that means no Mexican flag shirt on July 4th?
Damn, I hope I can get my money back.

PC rears its ugly (and amazingly stupid) head once again.
I think it might have been Gallagher who said you have to tell people they’re stupid, otherwise they’ll never find out.

Hey Rodriguez, you’re an idiot!

gordo on May 6, 2010 at 8:21 PM

I wonder how many people wore t-shirts with american flags during St. Patrick’s Day? Since when was cinco de mayo a holiday?
Honestly, I don’t know of a single mexican who observes this “holiday” and I have friends & family members of mexican descent who reside in the USA and/or Mexico.
It’s just another excuse for mexican theme bars to sell a lot of tequila and rock stations to throw a party!

kregg on May 6, 2010 at 8:21 PM

This was my high school. I am disgusted.

Geronimo on May 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I was an acorn too.

Domino on May 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Maybe Morgan Hill SD should learn from someone just as bigotted as them

macncheez on May 6, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Good grief.

These people who run this school call themselves educators and they don’t even know that Cinco de Mayo is a BS “holiday” invented by a beer company, and isn’t even celebrated in Mexico? I would fire them all for that alone, much less for the violation of the students’ free speech rights.

I would still like to see the students sue the pants off the school district. I’m sure the district will settle, but I would pay money to hear this argued in front of the Ninth Circus.

rockmom on May 6, 2010 at 8:51 PM

First of all, Cinco de Mayo is not even celebrated in Mexico except for Puebla, perhaps. That is the date the French army was defeated by the Mexicans in and around the city of Puebla. It is not anything important as they don’t celeebrate it at all. Some people are under the impression that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico’s Independence Day. WRONG! That day is September 16. The whole thing has become a big deal here in the U.S. as a way to display Mexican pride. This is a crock! Why do we let these people push Americans around in the name of multiculturism??? Disgusting.

francesca on May 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM

We live in a country where people living in America (illegally or sympathetic to those living here illegally) are offended at Americans for being American.

We’ve been invaded by millions who come to this country for a better life but work exceptionally hard in too many cases to NOT becoming an American. Why come here in the first place? Is it just for the free ride from U.S. taxpayers?

Just when I think the Left can’t get any more insane….

Yakko77 on May 6, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Mexicans have a special name for those of us who call ourselves Americans of Mexican descent. Pochos. It’s not meant as a kind word, more as a ridicule. So, don’t expect American heritage to be promoted to Mexican Americans.

meMC on May 6, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Who can blame the Mexicans. They see America Obowma and his ‘bots fellate Islam like there was no tomorrow and they naturally want a piece of that domination thing too.

Show La Raza the respect you our Muslim president shows Islam, maybe they won’t hurt you.

BL@KBIRD on May 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Sweet_Thang on May 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

What idiots.

PastorJon on May 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Not where I grew up chief. Cinco de Mayo was a common celebration before d-bags were stuffing limes in bottles of crappy Corona.

jdkchem on May 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I want to know: has anyone asked the vice principal to produce his green card?

friendlygrizzly on May 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM

How do the other Latino students from the rest of Central and South America think about a special celebration for Mexicans and nothing for them?
I would wonder if the Asst. Prin. thought it would be too scary to ask the Hispanic students to not make judgments about gringos who love their country enough to wear patriotic clothing. Or maybe they just didn’t consider 5/5 to be a holiday at all and wore the only clean shirt they had. Would any school in Mexico expect American students to get in a fight if someone didn’t ‘respect’ an American holiday (like, maybe President’s Day?) in Mexico?

spudmom on May 6, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Well, the backlash is coming, folks. Just not the one they hoped for.

JammieWearingFool on May 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Indeed.

justltl on May 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I have no problem with the Mexicans themselves who try to come here by whatever means in order to help themselves and their families. I would likely do the same if the opportunity presented itself, and I had no other legal way to accomplish it. And, of course, that is not to say that I advocate illegal immigration- far to the contrary.

I blame the leftists who actively promote illegal immigration, the businesses who profit by it, the politicians who foster it, the media that supports it and the liberal imbeciles that back it.

justltl on May 6, 2010 at 10:42 PM

The latter are who the serious backlash should be directed against, not poor Jose who is just trying to make do for his family.

justltl on May 6, 2010 at 10:44 PM

+ 1000000

Is America still the home of the free?!

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Asst. Principal

Miguel.Rodriguez@mhu.k12.ca.us

Principal’s Secretary

Tracie.Shumate@mhu.k12.ca.us

Lothar Of The Hill People on May 6, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Yeah! “Pochos!”
It’s NOT meant as a term of endearment. It’s like “Uncle Tom.”
And when a Mexican uses the term “Gringo,” it is like calling someone the “N” word. It’s scary how often they use it so freely here in the US.

shorebird on May 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM

AZCoyote on May 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Most asians are well behaved and ignored. I guess society doesn’t care much for a culture that foster self sufficiency and self defense.

The only thing we had approaching civil unrest was when the Koreans of Koreatown defended themselves during the LA Race Riots.

I guess you could call us the forgotten minority.

FWIW: my Mother came to America for the opportunity and freedom it has. She doesn’t appreciate all these lefty radicals running roughshod over the laws and customs that keep it that way.

Her family (and mine if you think about it) had it’s fair share of Victims of Communism. She thought the best option was to get as far away from North Korea as she could.

She came here so I could be a natural born citizen the proper way: through legal channels (marrying an American GI certainly helps though). She taught me the history NOT OF KOREA but of her new country, the US of A, when I was but a babe in her lap.

I’ll fight to keep this country free for myself, but also for my children, and most especially for her.

I’m not Anti-Immigrant… Just Pro-Law. Maybe that’s the way we should put it.

What do you guys think?

Chaz706 on May 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Reply to:

Chaz706 on May 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I love your mom! And she brought you up right!!!!
Give her a kiss for me on Sunday.

shorebird on May 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM

If Mexicans love Mexico so much that they need a day to celebrate Mexico unmolested my American patriotism, why don’t they stay in Mexico and fix the country that they profess to love so much.

kagai on May 7, 2010 at 12:44 AM

This is a case where the students should sue the school.

It was made for stuff like this.

scotash on May 7, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I love your mom! And she brought you up right!!!!
Give her a kiss for me on Sunday.

shorebird on May 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Thank you. I’ll forward your regards.

I’ll also say that if half the world was like my mother, We’d be in a much better place right now.

If half of Americans were like my mother, then we’d be the envy of the world methinks.

I can only wish I was half as good as her.

Chaz706 on May 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM

While wearing a US flag may not support Mexico, wearing such clothes means NOTHING to the history of a battle between France and Mexico.

Vice Principal Rodriguez has ABUSED his position by attacking these students with that authority. VP Rodriguez needs to be removed from this position immediatly.

Does anyone know what flag was flying over that school on this day?

Freddy on May 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Here are the email addresses if anyone wants to send their thoughts:

Principal

Nick.Boden@mhu.k12.ca.us

Asst. Principal

Miguel.Rodriguez@mhu.k12.ca.us

Principal’s Secretary

Tracie.Shumate@mhu.k12.ca.us

Lothar Of The Hill People on May 6, 2010 at 11:34 PM

If Patterico is hanging out here
Can you plz track the association of this school’s officials and the racist student in the video to the mechas / aztlans, and their actions wrt illegal alien rallies, for the last 4 years.

macncheez on May 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Do these kids have college funds set up?

I’d donate.

I’d also buy everyone in school a patriotic T-shirt for next year.

cntrlfrk on May 7, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Ok, so I agree with one commentator who said that we’re already witnessing the bigotry and racism of the left by their assuming that all latinos are violent with their claim of “incendiary” behavior if they see an American flag. So punishing these young patriotic and proud young men for showing the flag seems twisted. The lefties and this idiot vice principal should then perhaps focus more on anger management from these illegals and their supporters. If they can’t show or allow showing of pride in the country they’re in and whose law they’re breaking in the first place then something is very wrong with this picture. I feel like we’re stuck in some parallel insane universe.

mozalf on May 7, 2010 at 8:38 AM

jdkchem on May 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Better watch it … “chief” might offend aborigines. If you don’t mind me asking where did you grow up? Though these days a more fitting question is when (not directed at you, but, a general societal observation).

Weren’t limes put on the mouth of a bottle as a method to keep the flies out of the bottle during summer months?

kregg on May 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM