Video: “Cinco de Mayo not the day for patriotism”; Update: Laura Ingraham interviews the parents

posted at 12:15 pm on May 6, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

In the suburbs of Silicon Valley, not far away from San Francisco Bay, there are apparently particular days for patriotism, at least according to one high school in Morgan Hill. On Cinco de Mayo, several students decided to wear clothing with American flag designs to make a statement about their own views on heritage — including one Hispanic student. Teachers demanded that they either turn their shirts inside out and remove all other American flag-themed clothing or face suspension for “defiance.” Their parents are outraged:

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal’s office.

“They said we could wear it on any other day,” Daniel Galli said, “but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it’s supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today.”

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts “incendiary” that would lead to fights on campus.

Incendiary? Since when is it incendiary to express patriotism for one’s own country? This is absurd, as are the demands for apologies from these students for offending those who observed Cinco de Mayo. One expression of celebration doesn’t interfere with another, however, as should have been obvious at the campus before the teachers got involved at all. If students want to “express themselves” by celebrating Cinco de Mayo, then they should be prepared to allow others to express themselves as well. Instead, they want the public expression monopoly at their high school — and the administration was stupid enough to concede it to them.

Zombie also notes the ridiculous political correctness of the complaint, via the Boss Emeritus:

NBC quotes a fellow student:

“I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day,” Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. “We don’t deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn’t do that on Fourth of July.”

Disrespected? I’m confused. Aren’t all the students Americans? Who is being disrespected by the display of our shared national flag?

Of course, school is usually out on the Fourth of July, even summer school. Maybe St. Patrick’s Day would be a better analog. Would I, as an American of Irish descent, get offended by an American flag on March 17th? Er, no. I wouldn’t even get offended by someone wearing Mexican-flag themed clothing. In fact, I wouldn’t care at all.

Apparently, Live Oak High School specializes in victimology and political correctness. Maybe they should teach civics at Live Oak … to the teachers and administrators.

Update: Laura Ingraham conducted a lengthy interview with the parents of the suspended students. Be sure to listen to it all:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Why is a school celebrating a divisive racist “holiday”?

faraway on May 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Absolutely outrageous. But making this better is the fact that one of the “offenders” mother states her son is part Hispanic and that there will be no apology.

Money shot is at the end of the video on this article: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

ButterflyDragon on May 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Two words: Bay Area

nuf said……………….

Opposite Day on May 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Oh, wait. I looked up Cinco de Mayo. It’s actually NOT like their Fourth of July. It’s more like their version of Bennington Battle Day — only celebrated in one state.

Whoop de freakin’ doo.

What’s next? American’s can’t fly flags on Ground Hog Day; Kwanzaa; Gay Pride Month; National Talk Like A Pirate Day….

logis on May 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

One of the things that is becoming a disfunction in our society (apart from grammar…I deny that “disrespect” is a verb) is what is becoming regarded as who “causes” violence.

The principal said that by showing the US flag, the students might cause violence because it could incite a reaction from those celebrating 5 de Mayo.

This is wrong…violence is NOT caused by people who do what they are legally entitled to do. I do not cause violence when I show a Mohammad cartoon because, as a free man in a free country, I am free to do so. I do not cause violence when I express support for or against the war in Iraq/Afghanistan/wherever because I am exercising right that I have. I do not cause violence when I support/donate to/ vote for or against campaigns for (or against) gay marriage, less government, health care or whatever.

The violence is caused by one thing…those who, in the exercise of their free will, choose to be violent because they refuse to tolerate the exercise by others of their legally protected rights.

This sort of activity by the principal is the road to anarchy (as, incidentally, was the cowardice of Comedy Central) because it cedes power to those who would use violence to prevent the exercise of constitutional rights. It undermines the Rule of Law.

By the way, who knows if the US flag would have led to violence…maybe the Hispanic students would have honoured it.

Blaise on May 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

The topping on the cake is the fact they thought the kids were trying to cause trouble, despite the kids themselves being Mexican. How long, if they haven’t been already, before they are labeled racist?

Rbastid on May 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Are we that excited that the Mexicans defeated the French?

Inanemergencydial on May 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM

What if somebody at that school had worn a T-shirt with a French flag? Sacre bleu!!!

Steve Z on May 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I have an idea, lets start a drive to collect money and buy 5 shirts, for each student, all having the American Flag displayed on them. Then make the shirt the (un)official uniform of the Live Oak High School and have them wear the shirts every day all day……..

I’m sick if this crap, it’s time to punch back…..

This is the United States of America that flag represents our history, our heritage, the blood of our ancestors who died to create this country.

Love it or get the frack out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bogeyfre on May 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Steve Z on May 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Gay pride is allowed every day at schools.

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Blaise on May 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I’d have commented, but you said it better than I could have.

Heralder on May 6, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Gay pride is allowed every day at schools.

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

And, LOL. Nice.

Heralder on May 6, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Can’t wait for Bastille Day. I’m decking out in French flags that day and God help anyone in the office I see displaying the stars and stripes.

hungrymongo on May 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Two words: Bay Area

nuf said……………….

Opposite Day on May 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Not really…I drove through town this weekend and saw a bunch of Tea Partiers.

Domino on May 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM

This ‘holiday’ was created out of whole cloth to become a beer sales promotional day for bars and restaurants. As if we needed another special day to drink beer.

Kissmygrits on May 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM

America, love it or leave it! or we will kick your ass out!

rgranger on May 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM

MadisonConservative on May 6, 2010 at 12:23 PM

That was my exact reaction. What other nation in the world celebrates the holidays of other nation? And yet, Americans are intolerant for wearing an American flag t-shirt. No, quite the opposite. Americans are OVERLY tolerant to the point of ridiculous and it is other countries around the world who are intolerant to that fact.

Mexico and Canada are part of NAFTA, right? How come they aren’t forced to celebrate the 4th of July or Memorial Day in their countries?

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I have a question for Ed Morrisey. Was a U.S. flag flying high on a flagpole that day at that school??

Kokonut on May 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Rbastid on May 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Um, it was pretty obvious that the school board assumed kids were going to be violent specifically BECAUSE they were Mexican.

logis on May 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM

We’re all Mexicans illegal immigrants now!

jp on May 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Sue. You will win.

mojo on May 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Steve Z on May 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Mais oui!
It would have been a good lesson that whoever loses the battle is not destined to lose the war! Vive le guerre!
Um, who was the young lady in the red top?

ExpressoBold on May 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Oh please, this story is from CA. CA legislators gave themselves and all gov’t workers a day off with pay to support the last big illegal immigrant work rally.
That pretty much says it all. Ditto for the states fiscal disaster.
AnninCA on May 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Kind of rich coming from you a self proclaimed CA liberal who voted for liberal Democrat politicians all your life and now that CA is so messed up because of the likes of you… you pick up and leave to a conservative state to live out your days more comfortably and with no state taxes. You moved to a state others worked hard to build up with common sense conservative principles… You are a parasite..

CCRWM on May 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

We are becoming a “Idiocracy“. Its not even a Mexican holiday! Does Mexican beer and tequila have electrolytes.

serendip2b on May 6, 2010 at 12:50 P

Perfect.
I will change my name to Nacho Pendeaho and become a lawyer.

Fartnokker on May 6, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Buried in this story is this little nugget:

during brunch break

Huh? “Hey, kid, while you’re changing your shirt, could you pass the croissants?” My Lord, I would be embarassed to go to something called “brunch break”. What a bunch of sissies!

“Mom! Can I have an extra ten bucks? The school is serving goose pate foies gras today! I’m getting really tired of the lobster bisque.”

I’m betting this school district does not keep score at the football games. Because, just like this whole cinco de mayo flap, we just don’t want anyone to feel, you know, uncomfortable.

Sheesh.

ObjectionSustained on May 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM

If I were one of these students I would go out and buy 5 t-shirts with American flags. On the back of each one I would have a company print the words “I’m a proud American on (fill in the day of the week).” After a couple of weeks of wearing these to school I’d have a few dozen more printed and then I’d start selling them.

txhsmom on May 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Bogeyfre on May 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Hey, great minds think alike!

txhsmom on May 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Opposite Day on May 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Yep, you’re right.

hungrymongo on May 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Nothing wrong with that. The french aren’t trying to illegally enter the country by the millions. I did find it hilarious when the weenies would mock us for flag waving. If you are ever in the UK or France all you see are flags and red, white, and blue bunting. Yet, we are suppose to be ashamed of displaying pride in our country’s symbols but they are not.

Blake on May 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Just wait until the get the hate crimes bill fully implemented. Being white will be a hate crime.

jukin on May 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The letter I sent off to the principal of the school:

I am absolutely floored about the story I just heard regarding the students who choose to wear patriotic clothing supporting our own country on Cinco de Mayo day which is not even hardly a holiday in Mexico at all. I had never, ever thought I would see the United States follow down the same path as Sweden, who now considers it “racist” to wear apparel that features the SWEDISH FLAG on it in deference to hurting someone’s feelings or that it might “incite” violence.

Never mind the concept of personal responsibility. What you’ve done here is say that the students can’t think for themselves and will mindlessly strike out in violence and in doing so you’ve sent a terrible message to your students: the state must look out for them to absolve them of the responsibility of the consequences of their potential actions should they be … “provoked” … by a t-shirt. Instead of teaching students diversity of thought, and that in America, one has the right to express themselves freely and lawfully, you’ve gone down the road of intolerance to the point that you are asking students in American t-shirts to take off their shirts in a school funded by American taxpayers filled full of American students that live in what still remains today as America.

Did you also take down the American flag that flies outside the school so as not to offend any one who might feel slighted on Cinco de Mayo day? What’s the difference there?

This is an absolute mockery of the values that embodies what it means to be American. Supporting America in any form or fashion is never anything to ever be suppressed. This is only letter of this type I have ever written in my life because I feel that actions such as your are putting political correctness ahead of free speech, which is one of the hallowed cornerstones on which this country was founded. By taking away your students’ rights to express themselves lawfully by hiding under the threat of perceived violence you’ve most likely lost the respect of anyone who still considers America a great country where people do not have to be afraid to speak their minds.

You are not seriously going to tell me that sporting American flag apparel equates to “hate speech.”

Diversity of culture, beliefs, and freedom of speech is what the American flag stands for, unless of course one is unfortunate enough to be a student at your school, where then one finds that demonstrating active patriotism for our great nation is verboten on some minor holiday celebrating one of the cultures that comprises the American melting pot.

I hope your school gets sued thoroughly because we need our freedoms protected from the likes of you and your politically correct agendas, which will eventually be the death of our great nation if we do not have the courage to speak up and fight it when and where it occurs.

MightyConservative on May 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Bandannas are gang attire and banned from many school districts, rightly so. If some kids were wearing Mexican-flag bandannas on their heads I would want them removed too.

That being said, these kids should be praised for wearing their flag t-shirts. The bandannas crossed the line IMNSHO.

I wonder how these students would have been treated had they not been dressed in a manner that likely forced administrators to act.

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM

These guys need to get in touch with thefire.org. They spend a good part of their time on stuff just like this–where school administrators place “freedom from harrassment,” or “negative comments”, above academic freedom or free speech rights.

One other thing. What about diversity or multi-culturalism? Isn’t the whole idea to create a society that is a rich pallette of races, colors and ideas? /sarc

smellthecoffee on May 6, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Bandannas are gang attire

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM

No gang wears American flag bandanas. You’re talking about the same kind of zero tolerance crap that equates a loaded gun and Boy Scout silverware. A line was surely crossed, but it wasn’t by those kids.

Ronnie on May 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM

They were not merely ordered to remove bandanas. They were ordered to turn their shirts inside out. So much for that excuse.

And if gangs rule that school, if it’s so unsafe kids can’t display a flag, the school should be shut down immediately for the safety of the children.

theCork on May 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM

What happened to the students was a clear violation of their 1st Amendment right to speech.

What a sad day in America when schools no longer teach what it means to be American.

Conservative Samizdat on May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

MightyConservative on May 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM

That is an excellent letter! Bravo!

rockmom on May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Readin’, writin’, and – victimization.

The Zoo Keeper on May 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM

This must be fought. Make them bleed money, send a message that we will no longer tolerate this kind of insanity. It’s time to take our country back!

Darksean on May 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Ronnie on May 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I wonder what you know about gangs. Because I know that you’re wrong about the flag not being worn by gangsters. The American-flag is often used by WP and neo-Nazi sets as their gang-flag (bandanna).

But that’s irrelevant. If it’s banned school-attire, the reason is unimportant. I don’t care if they were wearing My Little Pony rags around their heads. If bandannas are banned in the district, the kids were in violation.

Like I said, the shirts are fine and commendable. The bandannas were stupid.

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM

If you do FB, check it out

Good for these kids!

MeatHeadinCA on May 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Nothing surprises me any more. Really. Look at what’s happening in Salinas right now, and I guarantee that if I didn’t link it here, nobody would ever hear about it.

But please, do feel free to make yourself heard if you like.

Bob's Kid on May 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Bandannas are gang attire

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM

…as much as baggy jeans and basketball jerseys, right?

MadisonConservative on May 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Here’s an idea! How about we stop celebrating foreign holidays?

No Hate – No Racism – Just No Longer Silent

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Did anyone ask if the school flew the American Flag that day?

jrlingreenbay on May 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Why is a school celebrating a divisive racist “holiday”?

faraway on May 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Something isn’t automatically racist just because a non-white person came up with it. I thought confederate history month was divisive too, but people here supported it.

Narutoboy on May 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM

SHOCKER: Nothing on this story over at HuffPo

heatherrc77 on May 6, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I’d bet the ranch that Americans of hispanic heritage can’t even tell you what Cinco de Mayo is. In Texas it is mostly known for a day Mexican restaurants give complementary chips and salsa.

AusTex girl on May 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM

National Talk Like A Pirate Day….

logis on May 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Arrrrggghhh, don’t be disprespectin’ me Jolly Roger.

Buford Gooch on May 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM

It’s a made up holiday created to sell more beer! Go to Mexico if you want to celebrate it!

Eyvonne on May 6, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Those students whining about being disrespected by the students wearing American Flags are are morons!

MCGIRV on May 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM

rockmom on May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

ditto

cmsinaz on May 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Oh, are they gangs now?

Ronnie on May 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM

MCGIRV on May 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM

edumacated by morons as well

cmsinaz on May 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM

MightyConservative on May 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM

me likey!

txhsmom on May 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM

…as much as baggy jeans and basketball jerseys, right?

MadisonConservative on May 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Actually a lot more. I’m not sure if you’re joking or what, but that’s the deal.

If you see some kid walking down the street with baggy jeans, he’s likely just a kid. If you see some kid walking down the street with a bandanna around his head, or worse, hangning from his or her back pocket you might be dealing with a gangster, hang-around, baby-g or wannabe.

Ask a cop.

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Eyvonne on May 6, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Cinco Drinko de Mayo

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

or a Walmart shopper

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Ask a cop.

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

You will not find a cop who thinks a kid with an American flag bandana is most likely a gang member. This is just more of that ridiculous equivalence. No one was afraid those kids were in a gang.

Ronnie on May 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Around here, even just baggy jeans should put one on edge. Maybe it’s a fashion difference, I dunno, although the serious gangsters will have much more than that.

Dark-Star on May 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Help…the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

sdd on May 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Cinco deMayo is not a holiday – at all. It was invented by the Corona beer company to sell beer. It’s a manufactured party day. Mexican Independence Day is Sept 16 – not May 5. The Mexicans don’t even celebrate Cinco de Mayo – AT ALL.

PJ Emeritus on May 6, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Good evidence they rarely make them both pretty and smart. If somebody wore a Mexican flag shirt on the 4th of July, sweetheart, nobody would particularly care. Really.

Blacklake on May 6, 2010 at 2:27 PM

CCRWM on May 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

You left off – “and you’re gonna try your damnedest to bring your failed ideology with you to that conservative state.”

Idiot Californians fleeing California and voting liberal Democrat (BIRM) in whatever state the land in. Turning the West purple. Did I say idiots?

misterpeasea on May 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM

The Hispanic kids obviously don’t understand Cinco de Mayo. Mexico doesn’t even celebrate it. The day celebrates(?) the first time the Mexicans defeated the French troops. BIG DEAL. There is nothing about it that is :Mexican Heritage.”

Nuts4koi on May 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Ask a cop.

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Neo-nazis sporting a flag as their symbol. In the Bay Area.

Are you for real?

I mean lol, dude. That’s a good one.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM

History repeats or at least rhymes very well.

British soldiers demanded that they either turn their shirts inside out and remove all other American flag-themed clothing or face trial for “Sedition against the Crown.”

Nazi soldiers demanded that they either turn their shirts inside out and remove all other Star of David-themed clothing or face trial for “Treason against the Reich.”

Scratch a “liberal”, find a psychopath.

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I’m too lazy to think of something new to say to this. Just gonna repost what I said in the Headlines thread:
OMGsh…this crap is getting out of hand. I had an incident in 6th grade, where the school had a rule you coudn’t wear pajama pants because they were “distracting” (which was such BS because kids had been wearing them all year) and me and my best friend broke the rule and continued wearing them. We got hauled into the office and told we had to stay there until we changed. Then my mom came in and yelled at the principal for about 20 minutes, and you know what? They let it go and changed the rule back. If these were my kids, I’d be hauling ass to go in and defend them against these idiots – it’s amazing how fast people backtrack once someone gets in their face and stands up to them.

Emily M. on May 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Interesting that that’s coming from the guy most eager to jump on any commenter to accuse them of veiled racism.

And you’re wrong, by the way.

MadisonConservative on May 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM

E-mail addresses for the school district. Get angry. Contact them.

Principal – Nick.Boden@mhu.k12.ca.us
Superintendent: wes.smith@mhu.k12.ca.us
Deputy Superintendent: bonnie.tognazzini@mhu.k12.ca.us
Asst Superintendent HR: jay.totter@mhu.k12.ca.us
Director of Curriculum: pat.blanar@mhu.k12.ca.us
Director of Curriculum: esther.carlson@mhu.k12.ca.us

Done.

Mr. Nick Boden, as the principal of Live Oak High School it was your responsibility to stand up for the kids right to wear patriotic clothing on any day of the year. After all, this is America. In fact, I suspect that you had no problem with Mexican-American students wearing patriotic Mexican garb on the 4th of July (as well you should not have.) It was your responsibility to make this a teaching moment for the Hispanic students who may have been offended by their clothing and instead you chose the most expedient, unprincipled and cowardly way to handle it by threatening the innocent students. You and the supporting faculty’s action on this incident was reprehensible and it is you who owe these kids and their parents a public apology and then, tender your resignations as a way of proving it.

Respectfully,

Sailfish on May 6, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick’s day -two holidays that are celebrated simply as an excuse for a party.

taznar on May 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I have a good one, and the wheels are in motion now. Yesterday at my kids high school, for the last period, they had a cinco de mayo assembly in the gym. It’s par for Texas to recognize the day, and par for schools to hold some sort of performance, or what not. I never had any huge issues with it, til yesterday.

Yesterday, every child was expected to stand, and pay homage to the Mexican anthem, and the raising of their flag. My kids said they didn’t stand at first, but were ordered to, or face consequences.

What the hell is going on in this country? I wouldn’t expect any other nation to pay homage to the U.S. flag, and anthem. Respect it, and remain silent during it, but I wouldn’t be offended by their just sitting, and politely watching, or whatever. It’s a far different thing though, when AMERICAN kids are forced to stand and pay homage to Mexico, when on American soil.

capejasmine on May 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM

…Did I say idiots?

misterpeasea on May 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I believe the more appropriate historical phrase would be “useful idiots.”

Blacklake on May 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Doesn’t Cinco de Mayo celebrate the killings of Frenchmen? Why should Americans celebrate the killing of Frenchmen?

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I am glad to know Mexico doesn’t celebrate it, this would be like us celebrating Paul Revere’s ride and then losing the war against the British. It would be celebrating mediocrity.

sjramos on May 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Why I would horsewhip those out of control petty tyrants masquerading as teachers if I had a horse. Somebody fetch me a horse.
- Groucho

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM

This America, not Mexico. Right, Skippy. People wearing America Flag bandanas belong to a gang, alright. They’re called Patriots.

kingsjester on May 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Ask a cop.

The Race Card on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I don’t know about around the head, but if it’s in the pocket, you probably are.

Narutoboy on May 6, 2010 at 2:46 PM

and the administration was stupid agreed with them more than enough to concede it to them encourage then even further.

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Hmmm, I used to think Cinco de Mayo was worthy of at least token respect. Now, screw it. And screw the whiners who use it as an excuse to bash America and Americans.

┌П┐(^_^)┌П┐

infidel4life on May 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM

The Live Oak High School teachers and administrators acted stupidly. They really did. I look forward to them hosting a pizza summit so that they can apologize to these students…and all Americans!

redwhiteblue on May 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I heard Rush and Prager on this story. Pretty bad. What strikes me is how passive are most Americans as their formerly great country quickly slips away. Is there anything that will get an American riled up in 2010?

james23 on May 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM

It was one battle they won aganist the French.

They ultimately lost the war aganist the French and were occupied.

Five years later, WE the US, made the French leave and they did.

Its a stupid holiday, celebrated in one town in Mexico and all over the US for what???

heatherrc77 on May 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM

So it is historically appropriate to wear the US flag, as we pushed out Mexico’s occupier, and liberated the Mexican People. Once again liberals getting history wrong.

phreshone on May 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM

30 years of Howard Zinn being considered a “scholar” and the sort of ignorance we see in Morgan Hill, CA is entirely predictable.

Spiny Norman on May 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM

The siding by these so called teachers with pro-Mexicans against pro-Americans, will, if anything, only help to fuel pro-American resentment of pro-Mexicans.
If these so called teachers do not realize this then they are morons. If these so called teachers do realize this then they are psychopaths.

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM

For so long schools have been more concerned with teaching diversity and forcing others to participate that reading, writing and arithmetic are falling by the wayside. Teachers have forgotten which country they teach in and both teachers and Mexicans are feeling entittled to force their holiday on everyone else.

FYI, I am American with Mexican heritage so spare me the racist bs. Thank you.

meMC on May 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Is this “reasonable cause” to check the status of everyone in that vice principal’s family?

Ronnie on May 6, 2010 at 3:05 PM

There are good reasons why most commedians are liberals -they are naturally funny people.

Only a liberal would complain about the confederate flag and the American Flag being flown in the same year.

Don L on May 6, 2010 at 3:09 PM

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Liberalism incorporates both of those traits.

infidel4life on May 6, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Would love to see a movement for students to wear American themed clothing on Friday…. Not just this Friday, but every Friday. Hey… get crazy and pick clothes that are made in the USA…. now that’s a movement!

2nd Ammendment Mother on May 6, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Just listened to the Laura Ingraham interview. Bravo to the moms. The money quote from one mother as she left the principle’s office

“I’m gonna take my non conformist non cookie child home, you have a nice day”

Bravo mom….

Bogeyfre on May 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Cinco de Mayo (Sinkhole de Mexico?) is a Mexican holiday. Why would any American want to celebrate a Mexican holiday? Why would any Mexican in America want to celebrate a holiday for a nation they themselves found so sinkhole that they basically fled it? How stupido can they be?

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM

So our message to violent illegal immigrants is the same as our message to radical Islam:

Please don’t hurt us! We’re sorry we’re more prosperous than you – please take whatever you want from us, including our pride, our diginity, our posessions, or our lives. We apologize profusely for being so callous as to have a way of life that some of you envy, and hope to join you in hopeless poverty soon!

hawksruleva on May 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Reminder to self proof read before posting. The quote should be:

“I’m gonna take my non conformist non cookie cutter child home, you have a nice day”

Bogeyfre on May 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM

It’s not even a Mexican national holiday. It’s a state holiday. The quivering jellyfish that make up the liberal left are so busy bowing and scraping that they don’t realize that all of their facts are wrong.

hawksruleva on May 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM

FYI, I am American with Mexican heritage so spare me the racist bs. Thank you.

meMC on May 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM

It’s not just diversity. It’s cowardice. The ass’t principal was AFRAID of what the violent Hispanic youths would do. Way to stereotype them, eh?

hawksruleva on May 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM

AusTex girl on May 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM

LOL, so true. I have no clue what 5 de Mayo means. Restaurants also offer discounts on margaritas. Too bad a hate them.

meMC on May 6, 2010 at 3:30 PM

the families must sue for all of us in the US. Sue this school so NO public school in the US ever tries anything like this again. also the NJ? school where the principal had a special event for black kids only to see a black rocket scientist and wouldnt let the white kids attend, not sure if he let the Hispanic kids attend under the Rev Al Sharpton ‘everyone not white is up against it’ theory…

anyway I hope they sue this has to stop

ginaswo on May 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM

linky to Ann Arobor MI AA students only field trip, from Drudge

ginaswo on May 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I resent that the principal and teachers have so little respect for Latino students. Why would an American flag be “disrespectful” to an American citizen of Mexican descent? How dare they assume that the sight of an American flag would incite violence? Do they think Latinos can’t control their impulses? This is out-and-out racism and I think the Latino community should condemn this condescension.

metrygirl on May 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Whoops! What about this picture, is it too defiant?

Count ‘em: 6 Americans doing what they do best.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM